• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Boring? This almost made me sad, but then I watched the video again. What a beautiful and unique way to bring people together all over the world.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Nice list - I'm pleased I'm not the only crazy guy here who agonize is over satisfactory organization of the Digital Dead. I also moved the Dick's Picks 29 tracks into the Road Trips October 77 folder. Let's see what else... May 22nd 1977 - DP vol. 3. I was able to get my hands on some good sounding soundboard recordings of the missing tracks from that show, Brown Eyed Woman, Peggy-O etc. I like that you have June 16th and 18th 1974 in there. Those were horrible shows to have had broken up. The audio was just so good, I would love to hear Jerry's guitar cranking on all those tunes like it does on the ones we did get. How is the sound on those remainders? I also saw that you had October 18th and 19th 1974 on your list - do you find the discrepancy in audio quality between the fully produced tracks from the Movie Soundtrack and the remaining sound board tracks that you used to fill the gaps a distraction? I usually avoid using soundboard tracks to fill the gaps, unless they sound really really close to the Full Norman versions (usually 1977 is the only place I can get away with it). 80sFan - got your PM, thanks man! Digging into that right now.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Hey all. Yup Keithfan2112, count me in. I've held off listening due to a future better listening experience. I won't avoid the archive because of this, but I will keep releases shrink wrapped from time to time. Last year I held off on a couple of Dave's Picks because I was hemming and hawing over which headphones to invest in. That's another rabbit hole. This year I'm backed up on the DP8 vinyl and now the Fillmore West RSD vinyl release. The grande deluxe is under going a major overhaul this year. Waiting on new speakers to arrive. I rock, like Daverock, the Project Carbon Debut. I will replace my red ortofon with the blue. Thanks wharfrat1. When the new speakers arrive and I'll get dirty running speaker wires through the wall and under the condo. I did say overhaul. Looking forward to a ride in Jim's time machine very soon! Enjoy the weekend Heads. The Music Never Stops. Cheers all!
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Keithfan, I have those '74 shows to fill in the Road Trips songs if you need them (PM me.)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....gonna be a good weekend. A new Dave's, going to the Vegas Golden Knights / Sharks game tomorrow and going to see Infinity War Sunday.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

The bonus disc art is some of my favorite of the series...very nice.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Just in case of delivery..... But it does not look like it's going to happen. It would be fantastic if they made it available for download to people who bought it.
user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

# 26 has found it's way to the edge of the world and yes...The Bonus Disc Art Work is amazingly fine...and I too will be making my way to Las Vegas from the edge of the world tomorrow...but instead of the hockey game (Which would be great to go to) I got a ticket for my wife to see Elton at Caesar's while I will be at The Wynn taking in Mel Brooks' one man show...enjoy all!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

#3246 arrived today in western Mass
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Farewell to Charles Neville, a fixture in Northampton for 15 yrs.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Just ripped it to itunes, working on the Hill show correct order now. I still think the best bonus cover was Thelma. The Senator rocks that Tshirt! Have a good time at the game Vguy! Thanks for the DaP8 Vinyl link, got a copy on the way. Also lucky to score a RSD release.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

DaP26 at my local post office. sadly, not today. BUT - Road Trips 11/15/71 DID hit my doorstep earlier today, which I found for a "not outrageous price" on Amazon. Love having an original copy of all of these. And it is sooo solid, which bodes well for this one. Looking forward to this initial listen. Always approach with Virgin Ears if its one I've never stumbled across.... Happy Friday DeadFreaks. Cherry Tree in front yard is 'bout to pop blossoms. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Love the melting tie dye balloon art. I might have to get out my microscope, some of those distant skeletons may or may not be bearded.. Might not get a good listen until tomorrow... but I am savoring the moment. Another fine 71. Life is good.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Mine will arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday, smile, I could drive and pick it up and be home in 3 hours maybe? Hey Sixtus, thanks for the info on cherry blossoms, We popped dogwoods about 4 weeks ago, and they are still hanging in there. The cherries bloomed about the same time as the dogwoods but have been gone for a couple of weeks. Been a cold April here but a spectacularly beautiful visual spring. Now I know spring is popping where you are. Nice!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Dang love the Neville Brothers. I have an excellent board tape of them opening for Grateful Dead on 12/30/86. Well I have an old box of tapes, now I need to find it. I wonder if Charlie Miller takes head cases?
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Always great to compare notes, GFAr my friend. Sadly, Spring has been absent until just a few days ago in these parts; it's been remarkably cold in the latter half of "Winter". But Poppin' Blossoms is a great way to track geo-progress, interestingly. Now as for Geo-locator of my DaP 26, it needs a "beam me up Scotty" link, to my hands! Sixtus
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

You set the controls of the riding mower to Monday afternoon.. I am ripping mine as I write this. Perhaps I will get a cursory start to the listen this afternoon. Beautiful spring day here and the rivers are booming.. got in my third run this season on the river I live on. I am either out of shape or this river has gotten harder. Oh, and the Feb floods changed a couple of the rapids including one of the class V's, making it just a little tighter of a line. What a drag it is getting old....
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Right on. Although Monday may not be necessary; tomorrow appears hopeful! Nonetheless, a good spin on The Mower is always worth a try. Speaking of which...who saw this ridiculous data share this week of, like, the Entire Galaxy?? http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/european-satellite-reveals-motio… http://www.eso.org/public/images/eso1606a/zoomable/ (zooming-in, encouraged on the 2nd link) Be safe on those rapids. Sixtus P.S. NFA>jam>GDRFB>NFA now commencing
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

#14995 has landed and it sounds GOOD. I like it better than DaP 22 already, more crisp and less jangly sounding to my ear. Bonus disc art if ya need it: https://goo.gl/RKh5co
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

I start a new gig selling cars on Monday. I've never done this before but I'm excited. Glad this years box wasn't released during my hiatus. Thanks to all who sent me well wishes. DP26 should be in my mailbox when I get home from day one at new job. Happy day!! Last weekend off for the near future...cheers!
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Thanks Jack Baller for that totally cool sneak peek at the bonus disc cover artwork. Holy Crap! It's King Cool. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I whole heartily agree that it is fukin beautiful. #13318 is safe and in hand. Will be listening later tonight....
user picture

Member for

6 years

Long time reader, first time subscribing to Dave's Picks. This is my first bonus disc and it's great not to have to buy it off eBay! I'm so happy, it sounds so good (and I have "Virgin ears" ;-)
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Completely different feel with Pig Pen back... Not even saying one is better than the other...
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Dude on the right - sportin' a beard??
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

That is some beautiful artwork. Cant wake to get my grimmy, um washed hands, on it. My old eyes, it almost looks like there may be two guys looking straight out and they may both have beards. Dang shadow of the moon
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Few more days until my DaP 26 arrives so I’m catching up on E72. Crawled out of the vinyl rabbit hole for a while to go digital.Bought a cool tie-dyed Victrola record case for storing my new vinyl. Why does nappyrags always get such low numbers? Welcome Hippychic.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Haven't listen to that show in over 25 years. It was our first New Years trip and that was clearly the best night of the entire run. Nevilles on stage during Aiko was the highlight.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I got into 12/27. 30, 31/1986. Loved being there. I enjoyed all three that I saw very much. Each seemed to have a different vibe. Loved the 30th. I thought the 27th was slinkier, like trying to find each other. Much of it good, some of it like a blind man in the dark. Of course the 31st was what, almost 10 hours in the old auditorium. Ahhh, the old truckin floor!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Haa.. ..but really, what's the difference between a full head of hair, a beard and a goatee anyway.. A crown of roses works, other than that.. Still the debate continues. I am having a hell of a time ripping and reordering this. Looks like a couple songs didn't import at all. Trying another PC. Weirder than beards with skeletons I say. Edit: AJS/GFar, I was at that NY run as well. I was the guy in the tie dye, staring blankly that unresponsive to any form of communication.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Agreed. A very cool scene. Very cool venue. Much different than East Coast shows. I thought the volleyball games behind the soundboard were awesome. My memory fails me, but didn't David Crosby do a set on 12/31?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Deep in the first set and sharing Dave's excitement about this show Tight and tasty. Definite upgrade from what i have. 'Keep him happy all the time...'
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

My copy not scheduled until Tuesday but hoping they're just padding estimate. Curious how 2nd set sounds....Dave made comparison to 11/15 in Austin which is a quite a claim in my book...Guess I'll have to wait and hear for myself.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Right there with you on the 4/26/72. You mentioned a couple months ago that of all the music on Europe 72 it's taking me the longest to digest all of The Other Ones. I've listened to this one 3 times, and it is magnificent, just requires some undivided attention. Caught some glimpses of Mind left body, but they never fully committed.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

This is hot. I haven't given it a focused listen, but this is a hot one.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Absolutley. He did an accoustic set, alone. He had just gotten out of the mexican prison. He looked us right in the eye, and warned us about going to mexico. that is harsh. Life has great blossom, but harshness also. They treated him like crap. Then the Nevilles. Whew, relapsin. Man, the Nevilles can make an arena wiggle. I mean New Orleans in Oakland. Then fellas
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

.... funny. I thought it was plugging along pretty good. Guess that's why I wasn't in the band. I wonder if Jeffrey Norman gets a boner when he opens a batch of freshly received reels. I bet it at least tingles. The sound on this is making me.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

VGuy.. Don't scare away HippieChick with your locker room talk. We wouldn't want to give the wrong impression. Yet...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....gotta catch 'em all. ;) ;) ;) This take is pretty sweet. Especially at the 3:12 mark. Check it.Don't worry HippieChick. I've got my hands outta my pockets.... ....I miss the "old" font. This ones stale and boring.
user picture

Member for

15 years

Just like Jack the Ripper, Just like --- That new pick looks great, I mean the songs look like more 72 or 73, can't wait til Cosmic Charlie puts it on youtube, Since I couldn't get this, I got Jerry Garcia Live: version 4. Incredible show with just Jerry and Keith, his bass player and drummer that he usually uses, and Donna and Maria Muldaur. Lots of "Cats Down Under the Stars" and songs from around then. It is early 78 ,Jerry sounds awesome,playing excellent with Keith. Great recording and mastering, The CDs are twice as thick as Dead CDs, made in USA. No HDCD. Have a good one Folk.Jim
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I haven't got mine yet-and I am not expecting it for about another month. But that's alright-its on its way, and I have plenty of other things to consider. Like this compilation of shows from Fillmore East April 1971. I know I am in the minority here, but I don't much care for 1971 prior to Keith joining. Just my personal opinion-there are plenty of people on here who know what the are talking about who rate the period very highly-so I accept that its my loss. So listening to this collection of cds has really been a surprise to me. I haven't played it for ages, maybe because I listen to the Portchester run in February and get a bit put off. But I like this-really tight versions of songs with great playing and tone from all concerned. Bobs singing seemed to come of age around this time-in fact its all good-and I haven't even got on to cds 3 and 4 yet, which feature the famous jams. It all seems much better than the Portchester run from February-again just my opinion. Actually, these Fillmore East April 1971 shows would make a nice box set. With an interesting selection of guests such as The Beach Boys and Duane Allman it would be a varied and interesting collection that reaches a great peak with the second sets of the final two nights.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Still waiting for my copy to cross the pond, meanwhile the last 5 listens were: Kal David & Lauri Bono - Paragon Doug Sahm - The Return of Wayne Douglas Jerry Miller & Co. - Live at Cole's Mike Henderson - Edge of night Tail Gators - Tore up All over the musical map there! Liner notes on the Doug Sahm album: Thanks to God for giving us Doug Sahm. Too right!
product sku