• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Ice, Was just going to post the same thing about the collatteral expenses. Since it's so cool, the kids want the yet to be purchased turntable in the family room, not the designated GD listening studio in the basement. That requires a new receiver. Not such a big deal until you factor in the wife who now requires compensation to "even the balance sheet." To be fair, neither one of us are really like that, but she did order four new dresses for the upcoming weddings this summer as a preemptive strike. So, I go out and purchase a few albums to help out a local record store. I can't even play them, but now I'm in deep.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I have a couple of at 120 turntables they are the knockoff of the oop technics 1200. It's a good turntable for the money. But since it's based on a dj turntable it is fully manual which some people concider a pain. Be careful using the cue it has a tendency to give out and your sylus bounces across the disc. Finally get a different cartridge since again it is a dj table it at tracks at 3 grams. Visualize me shaking violently. I use a Shure m97xe but there are plenty of good ones put there
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Oh yeah don't use the preamp that comes with most of the new turntables. They aren't very good. If your amp/receiver doesn't have phono inputs splurge for a dedicated phono preamp they aren't that expensive. Someone mentioned a Crosley don't waste your money
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Lots of good ones already mentioned. Check out the 9/20/90 MSG w. Hornsby. Hot stuff!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

The version of The Way You Do The Things You Do on the new Garcia Live is my new favorite!! Great release
user picture

Member for

6 years

I bought this box set in spring of 2005 and I'm just now giving it a proper listen. musically its like like rooting around an old junk drawer and finding some things of interest.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I bought a basic Pro-ject turntable and preamp about three years ago, just to listen to the old albums in the attic. I was very impressed with how good the albums still sounded, some 40 odd years after I bought them. I didn't intend buying any new albums-although I did occasionally treat myself. It was only with the release of Binghamptom 1970 earlier this year that I started focussing on vinyl again. And now I am really keen-the 4 Dead albums I have already got sound great. And Wheels Of Fire looks as impressive as ever propped up on the mantle piece. I have been very happy with my hi fi (do people still call the that?) set up so far...but I am now thinking of upgrading.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I bought this album too, just because it's cut from a new Remaster. I still have my old Techniques turntable from the 1980's.. I suspect I will need to upgrade at some point, but time is on my side.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I was fortunate enough to get 2/27/69 -- This is what its all about. With the house to myself, I had this cranked up...goosebumps were a plenty on Saturday afternoon. Sound quality is just exactly perfect. I also picked up the Allman Brothers Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival 1970...two shows that are basically identical but the sound quality is excellent.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ah record store day. It really is Christmas in April. I have always been a big CD guy. I thought I would never get into vinyl. When my dad passed away a few years ago, I was helping to clean the house and saw his turntable. Said WTH and brought it home and bought a few records. Here I am 2.5 years later with almost 900 albums. Every Friday, I go to the local record store, been around for 40 years, buy some vineyl. than my wife and I sit at the bar in my basement, drink great beer and spin records. No better way to end a long week. It's a deep, deep rabbit hole but man is it awesome. As for turntables, the Audio Technica LP-60 is a very solid beginner table. It can be had for around $100. As someone else mentioned, the pre-amp in it and in most receivers suck. You definitely need a stand alone phone stage. Project has one that works pretty well for around $70. If you want to go a little higher lever, I highly recommend the Project Debut Carbon or the Music Hall MMF 2.2. Both are $299. For the person that has the Project and was thinking about upgrading, I recommend getting a new stylus. You can easily upgrade from the Ortofon red to the blue in a few seconds and it makes a big difference. That's the cool thing about the Project. You can easily upgrade down the line, for a few bucks ;). You can also look at getting a better phono stage. That will make a big difference as well. As for sound between digital and vinyl, well I have to say vinyl is much more natural and real. I have a really good headphone setup, with a very good DAC, cd player, headphone amps, etc. I designed to have an analog feel. As a CD guy, I spent a fair amount getting it just exactly perfect and it sounds awesome. I still love it. With that said, vinyl is just so warm and inviting. It's like sitting next to a warm fire with your significant other on a cold winters night. It just feels so right. I had a very good RSD, got all of the releases I wanted and some I didn't even plan on getting. Like I said, it's a deep 'ol rabbit hole. Enjoy!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Rush put their reissues on 200g vinyl.An extra 20g of vinyl. I’ll probably have to get ‘All The World’s A Stage’ and ‘Exit Stage Left’ to see how they sound. Yeah, this rabbit hole is pretty steep and deep (Steep and Deep is the name of a ski run at Vail).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Glad to see so many psyched over their vinyl RSD acquisitions and their enthusiasm for purchasing or upgrading turntables, JOY of Joys! Yes, it is a deep rabbit hole, it is a ritual really getting everything correctly setup, (but no hardship) its all part of the pleasure, taking the time to sit with a loved one, pal or by one's self and taking the time to listen. I remember 200g pressings from the long gone Classic Records, I think MOFI are the only ones pressing 200g now. Vinyl is definitely very addictive, some of you folks that have a neglected vinyl collection packed away in an attic or basement would be pleasantly surprised how good they still sound, although the use of a record cleaning machine, would also be a complete revelation. PS, I like the tale of the Bar in the Man Cave!
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hey, that's great, I'm glad to hear it was you who got the Dave's Picks 5. I was into the Dead heavy for many years, and then got away from them and into the Stones for many years, so I missed all of the great box sets and Road Trips, and Dave's Picks 1 - 16. But then I got right back in with the subscriptions for Dave's Picks, and started shopping around to back fill my collection. I have a ways to go, but I'm on eBay every day looking for deals. And I mean mean LOL, I am addicted to that eBay app. When those last couple minutes start counting down for a show I need, it's like a gambling rush. Still, the prices sometimes just get too high, and I have to back off. One day I'll find a new Dave's Picks 1 - 9! Or Maybe a Winterland June 1977 Box Set, or if the light's really shining on me, the mother lode itself, Fillmore West 1969 Complete. I've been cobbling together Europe '72.
user picture

Member for

11 years

Ah, the warmth of vinyl... put a record on and have a seat next to the fire with a cold beverage... only to get up twenty minutes later to turn it over. Wait, fire? What's that crackling noise... do I need a dust free, no static charge environment? We can't have any surface noise, can we? Pop, skip and a bump...And what about acoustic isolation? Belt drive please and thanks, record clamps at the ready and turn that subwoofer down, getting some low frequency muddiness if not feedback here... My vinyl goes back fifty years and would go further except I lost my Chubby Checker Twist records in a poker game. I need one of those $5000 ultrasonic cleaning machines to give all those records a bath with some real cavitation. Those $450 record cleaners don't do half as well as my homemade vacuum cleaner attachment. I'm so old I have antique turntables for my antique records... Yes, my dog sits right next to the horn... Tell me again, a diamond stylus in a vinyl groove, do I need any shaving cream for that? By the way, humbly suggest a name for Jim's lawnmower "Further II".
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for the tip. I've got an Ortofon red stylus at the moment, so I will take your advice and switch to the blue one. Cheers.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Mine has a button for operating in forward or reverse direction.Half tempted to play 2-27-69 backwards and see what secret messages Pigpen slipped in there.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Until DaP 26 is released.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

When you play the LP backwards looking for hidden Pigpen messages, you'll no doubt hear some earnest testimony about an an adventure he shared with a young lady who "got her leg up against the wall", so he could "jump in the saddle and ride".
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Have a good friend in the music business right in Hollywood. He's got thousands of albums, began building that collection in the 1970s. We were roommates 20 years ago in Boulder and the collection was massive then. What's it's become is monstrous. I haven't asked how many in years. I also don't recall the model of turntable but it sounds really good. Nope, not gonna go there... got two kids to put through college. And a nasty guitar habit. My old Pioneer sits collecting dust in the garage. I have around 60, 80 albums. Haven't played them in years. I am a completist. It's a horrible affliction, but it is what it is. At least I have the self-control to just say no to getting back into vinyl now, because with items like these available, I fear there would be no going back... and student loans happening. https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-high-end-turntables To all of you who indulged on Record Store Day, I'm with you in spirit. Enjoy! \m/
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Pigpen sure had his mind set on one thing. Maybe that’s why he got into rock n roll. Sex, drugs, and rock n roll, as David Lee Roth was quite fond of saying.
user picture

Member for

8 years

...dirty pigpen makes me smile smile smile! :)Ann Harbor 12/14/71 is ‘Prime meat’ ;) Jerry is so so sweet as well ...
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Too funny.. the basement bar and turntable. I have a similar tale.. I held on to all my albums, my 1980 Marantz 220 Watt Tube Amp and my Techniques turntable. In my old house, just across the river from where I live now.. I had it all set up in my basement office (which, was somewhat lawlessly and cleverly cantilevered over the river). First.. to preface, vinyl nights were never sober.. but I had more than a few albums at the time that had not been re-released on CD. So it was a blurred attempt at firing up the Way Back. So funny you mention that in this way.. totally coincides with infamous Vinyl night at JimInMD's Basement office at my last house. ..and it was always a blast. wadeocu.. you can borrow the lawnmower anytime. The engines gotten a bit finicky.. it seems to like high test over regular.. Liberty Cap scraps seem to work just fine.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I've said it before on here, nothing else like this show for 78!!! As unique as you will get for this year!!! Read up on if Bob was sick!!! Listen to the last, If I had the World to Give... Jam to start off second set, followed by a short drums followed by another Jam, followed by the first song sung in set II which is Jack-A-Roe!!! If anyone was there would love to hear the details of it.. bob t
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

..I did a search for the theme of the Drew Cary Show (Cleveland Rocks). This is what came up on my browser. It does have rocks in it. I guess a little off topic, but harmlessly coincidental and entertaining (I hope). Happy Monday.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

What does this have to do with the Box Set?What about Gainesville? I know.. tail between legs, going to sleep. Apolog.xxx.... Edit: Too early to sleep, or perhaps the bufotenine is kicking.. it's springtime in the Mountains East afterall. If anyone here hasn't seen this, it's quite refreshing. Really the whole thing, but it kicks up a gear when PITB starts.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Gainesville is the largest city in Alachua County, Florida. The population of Gainesville in the 2013 US Census estimates was 127,488, a 2.4% growth from 2010. Vinyl... I don't get it. I know.... "it's the fastest growing format!" But it's easy to grow off a base if your starting point is almost zero. BTW, where do all these RSD announcements come from? The only time I ever see anything about RSD is here.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Just got my Anthem preorder confirmed, this time ordering was smooth as silk....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

In the end of his latest chat he mentions upcoming releases....states that he's picked a good one for DP#27, and of course we'll get DP#28 also. He also noodles or mumbles about 3 other "THINGS" this year for release....the box set seems to be the mention of a "big release later in 2018" with no details from him. My guess is that this is one of the "things" of course dialed up for release....the other two "things" fore release are now out would be my guess: they are RSD "Live Dead" vinyl & today's Anthem deluxe edition (with a 1967 show for some reason, shouldn't it be a show from 1968?!?)....ANYWAY, my guesses below are what we will see for the remainder of the year: 1) DP #27 = 1974 2) DP #28 = 1976 3) Box Set this Fall 1973 (3-4 shows)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

I'm headed to Gainesville!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

This was the one, the album that made a Dead Head out of me. For me, Sugar Magnolia is the BOAT here, for many reasons, but it's really only the final act in one of the best medleys of the tour: Dark Star => Me & My Uncle => Dark Star, Pt. II => Wharf Rat => Sugar Magnolia. It was my first Dark Star. There are no specialty jams in this one. Take your list of 20 best Dark Stars, then remove any of them that have Feelin' Groovy, Tighten Up, or Mind Left Body. What are you left with? I prefer this 4/24/72 Dark Star above many others, not only because it was my first (and those firsts have a way of sticking with you), but because it's long and covers a lot of new ground. It also doesn't spend too much time in "Atonement", which is that place where there's a lot of....er...how does my wife describe it...ah yes "noise". That's atonal music! I insist. But not this Dark Star; it's experimental, but not over-baked or too noisy. And as I said, the experimentation does not yield to common themes; they improvise their way into several new arrangements you'll never hear again. And it's a long bugger, clocking in at 41 minutes. Best of all, it's possibly Jeffrey Norman's best treatment for an E72 show, as (most know) this was released individually, a good 7 years before it was incorporated into the Europe '72 Complete Recordings Box Set. Best of all, Keith is well represented in the mix, which, alas is not the case throughout the entire box set (the esteemed Mr. Norman himself once commented on these message boards that he would love to remaster the box set anew (but with more time to deliver the final product). The Wharf Rat that emerges out of it is also sublime (just listen to Keith dancing on the pinky keys in the beginning). I believe my top 5 Wharf Rats are the 5 from this tour. The multi-track brings out Garcia's Alligator Strat and Weir's Gibson ES-345 as pure as can be, and the vocals on this song were soooooo good when Jerry sung them alone. And of course Sugar Magnolia. This is the one that caught me and melted my face for the first time. Don't they all sound the same on this tour though? No. As always, it's in the nuances. There were few songs in the Dead catalog that showcased Weir and Garcia in the fabled "guitar weaving" mode that Keith Richards sought for (and achieved) throughout his career with the Stones but Sugar Magnolia in the early days was one of them. What makes the Rhein so special: longer hook chord opening on this night, before the first verse (= extra groove time); more backing vocals on the verses - makes for some nice harmonizing (mostly unique to this version); Billy's best drum fill ever? (you know the part, after "take me out and I wander round") - well, let's just say, he opts for the tom-tom roll instead of the ratta-tat-tat snare attack, and the timing is impeccable (the only other time he plays it quite like this on the E72 tour is closing night 5/26 - but the sound production is a little flatter and less impressive); and then one of the most uncommon elements you'll ever find in a Dead song occurs after Billy's drum fill - everyone plays the same thing for a few bars, in perfect harmonic bliss (i.e. the Sunshine Daydream chord progression, but no vocals yet). This goes on for a few bars, and the harmony of instruments is a thing of beauty that just doesn't click like this every night of the tour. Eventually Jerry starts soloing, and they go into the Sunshine Daydream coda, which does not include Donna (as much as I love her, I "grew up" on this version without her, so her inclusion on this part of the song beginning in August '72 sounds alien to me - sorry honey!) Me & My Uncle was great in that medley too. What can I say? Lotta pow pow, shoot 'em up from a couple of honest Denver men; and despite varying accounts of this classic brawl over the years, these were the days when our anti-hero relied solely on his pistols, and indeed cracked no one in the jaw with a bottle. What we can surmise about the good Uncle in this story, is that though he taught his nephew the good book, he either failed to translate accurately from Latin, or he simply underestimated the significance of the line: radix omnium malorum avaritia; avarice is the root of all evil.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

Got the notice DaP 26 is on the way. Sooner than I expected. Maybe will get here in time for my road trip to Red Rocks next week to see Phil and family. Oh, and Keithfan, I love Rocking the Rhein. The Dark Star is one of my favorites, especially the way Me And My Uncle just pops out of some rabbit hole, skips along the prairie, and dives right back into a swirling labyrinth. Can't hear it too many times.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Love 4/24/72. Still not warming up to 4/24/78 though. Some decent moments, but overall leaves me underwhelmed. I get more enjoyment out of 4/22/78 Nashville (DaP 16).
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Got the "on its way" mail just now. Will it arrive before I leave for a well earned break in Kreta. One can but hope. I leave in twelve days, about the same time as it usually takes an order to cross the pond. Whatever, it ain't gonna spoil my holiday! Bring on the calamare and Metaxa 5-star.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Gatorade = Koolaid with Electrolytes = Electric Koolaid It is all beginning to make so much sense now!
user picture

Member for

8 years

https://youtu.be/-UHHc7POovg “ I remember having a daydream about the opening acoustic guitar part of “All Along The Watchtower” ending with a Native American scream and a big native drum on the downbeat. That was the spark to assemble one of our biggest and deepest Songs Around The World. From Beirut to New Orleans to the Lakota Nation, musicians play and sing like a musical army determined to stop suffering and greed all over the world. As a society, we need to get back to our roots and connect deeper with our ancestors and native people in general so we can find the wisdom we need to move forward as a human race. As Jimi Hendrix once said, “If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music”... ...Look for John Densmore of The Doors on drums! :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

What about Albuquerque and Ann Arbor?Let’s get these things in our mailboxes.
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I'm not following why you posted a link to a dude playing Watchtower, Or what that quote is that accompanies it. Pl ease explain. First year as a Dave's Picks subscriber, and I can't wait for the bonus disc. Just because it's the badge of subscriptionship.
product sku