• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

1/2 again last night....can’t get enough of that Disc 3!

Delfest; heard it’s a great place/vibe.....sorta reminds me of Rocky Grass only more green then Red!
Did you see Del? Man I love those guys, especially the boys when they let loose on their own....
Had the pleasure of opening for them in 2007, and they always used to eat breakfast at the place we go to during Rocky Grass. They are even nicer in person. Can’t say enough good about them. Great people, and legendary musicians! Folks, If you’ve never seen them you might want to check then out?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....you were in the throes of lysergia that night AND you remember it well? That's quite the superpower my friend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

The last time, did you have any kind of inkling that it might be the last time?
I believe Vguy said he totally felt something, and we knew something was going to happen. I think our group consensus at Chicago was either he’s going to die, or more probably he’s gonna end up back in the hospital.
The vibe was so heavy everyone of us felt something had to give....sigh. Can’t believe how much I miss the good old vibrant Fat Man, perhaps even more so even after all these years! Hopefully he finally fond peace!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

.....i sure did! In fact, on the morning of August 9th, 1995, I woke up suddenly at 3 o'clock in the morning with a sense of dread. Over the following days, I learned that my touring buddies throughout the years also woke up at that time with the same feeling. I do not believe in coincidences....

Up in the sky...

Its a bird...
Its a plane...

No., bro...it's gooneybird man, man...

Far out...

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

At the show itself, jerry looked haggard (not merl)

I didnt suspect his demise at the show

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...this afternoon I enjoyed the complete performance from 4/15/70 Winterland , San Francisco, CA from the ‘30TATS’ boxset! About 4 and a half months after Daves Picks #30 Show. Home sweet home, love it! Technical difficulties and all, even a woman giving birth backstage, And the ‘Jam’ out of drums, primo!
;) a grateful day indeed my brothers & sisters, and even you droids out there! 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Very familiar with that routine. Our school ground code of honor was put your money where your mouth is. That's all.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...ending today’s listening pleasure with 9/28/75, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco’s, CA the infamous Grateful Dead tour of that year and also during a time when/still there Are only a few handfew of performances available ...far late into the year this performance still carries it self very Gratefully! The Dead burning through an rather tight nit group 1975 performance! Rock on my fellowdead heads . 🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Question to all digital downloaders?

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

...I just wanted to drop a line my brother and say thank you for all your posts. Your one of The members that I enjoy reading your daily posts! Thank you for all your help pulling the (this) group together along with me, Daverock, Yourself , vguy72 , Keithfan , stolzes ect. You know the people I’m writing about, keep on Rocking my brother! Peace be with you. 🙏😎

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Mickey Hart Band The Fillmore at Irving Plaza New York, NY 7/15/2008

JEFF BECK GROUP - 19720629 - London, England - Paris Theatre - BBC In Concert

nick.mason's.saucerful.of.secrets.2019-04-18.AT831.inez.flac1644

Jackson Browne 1974-03-13 Atwood Hall, Clark University, Worcester, MA SBD 1st gen Flac16

Dave's Picks 30

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

GOGD - 5.25.95 Seattle
JGB - Electric on the Eel '91
GOGD - Arrowhead '78
Three 🐕 Night - Seven Separate Fools
Three 🐕 Night - Harmony
....keep in mind, I can burn through a last five in a day or less. Current news as it happens.
Thanks for the shout out LMG (aka 5 2 1). Love you too....

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hokey Religions & Ancient Weapons 5/25/77. Anniversary of the birth of Dave's Picks.

This show was already $350 on eBay when I really went over the Dead Edge in 2014. After hearing about its legendary status and seeing its legendary price tag, I tried in earnest to find a copy. I already had both the May and June 1977 box sets, plus Hartford 5/28. But people here there and everywhere spoke of it like Cornell #2 (except it was IN the Vault), and I didn't know anyone on here at the time, and had no clue about archive.org; so I finally asked a guy selling a used copy on eBay if he'd burn me a copy for 35 bucks. He accepted my money.

I was still cherry picking tunes in those days, and had reams of new Grateful Dead music I had purchased from deadnet and eBay, but I listened to this show from the Mosque all the way through. I thought it was every bit as good as advertised. First time hearing Mississippi Half-Step, as I had always skipped over it on the releases I had. Not sure why. But I loved it on 5/25, and to this day am still enamored with the Rio Grandio transition and arrangement, which is nuanced enough to set it apart from others. Still my desert island Half-Step.

The rest of the show is just fantastic, both sonically and performance...ly. Performancey. Performance-like. They played great and sang great. In hindsight, having caught up on the Spring '77 Tour, I still think it's an 11 in a batch of shows that are mostly 9.5 and 10, with 3 or 4 other 11s. But you never forget your first 11, and seriously, this is a flawless perfect performance and set list.

Maybe it's partly the trouble it took me to get it, but this is my fav from '77. I eventually picked up my own copy from a gracious soul here who only wanted $100; if you're still out there, thanks.

https://youtu.be/V268Qk6-xsw

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

5/25/77 is one of my favorite and most played shows. It’s also the only Dave’s Picks that I don’t have a physical copy of. Just can’t bring myself to drop six hundred bucks or more for it, so I’ve learned to live with the lossless files I have.

A hundred bucks though? You lucked out on that one, KeithFan.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

My last five full album listens

Reese Wynans and Friends - Sweet Release
Keith Richards - Main Offender
The Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me
R.L. Burnside - A Ass Pocket Of Whiskey
Doors - L.A. Woman

Dead is a constant listen but so much a la carte, not a full show in the last five.

As far as Uncle Dougie's Red Rocks psychedelic dream, the parking lots at Red Rocks are full of kind friends. It won't be that hard. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that post, what balls. Cop? Heh-heh.

Went skiing at Arapahoe Basin this morning. That is God's country if it ever existed. 79" base over Memorial Day weekend. License plates from all over the country. Good, good times. Peace all.

\m/

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

If you dont know...

It
Is
Hot

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....need to find my skeleton key to the safe deposit box I keep the first four Dave's in....
....Found it.
Just got back from John Wick 3 with the family. Hugged my dogs.
The Spring '77 tour was 26 shows strong. Only two Half-Step openers. Special indeed.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

More was the album I played over and over 35 year ago. Then I discovered the dead and it was when the love affair began.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

.... Jerry nails that shit. There are countless reasons why this band takes over my life at times. That was one of them.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

First rate peggy-o.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...good morning my brothers& sisters, this morning I’m starting my day off with a PRIMO recording from 10/27/79 Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA! David Lemieux states in his notes from the ‘30TATS’ boxset that this show is flawless, and I most certainly concur, man I love the Grateful Dead’s 1979 playing/performances during this pivotal year for the band! Rock on everyone, have a grateful Sunday, peace be with you all!
🙏❤️😎
...and some more 1969 Purty Please! :) :) :)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

My eyes lit up at the reference to R.L. Burnside by Ledded recently. A Ass Pocket of Whiskey is great, but in my eyes, even better is the live one he cut shortly afterwards-Burnside on Burnside. Seriously stomping blues-about as subtle as a bull in a china shop, but one of the best live blues albums I have ever heard.

Deadwise I am still listening to the vinyl I have mainly. The 11/10/67 jam from Alligator through to Caution, the last two sides of the album, must be one wildest jams the band ever played. I went from there to the Playing in the Band from Seattle 5/21/74. The opposite end of the spectrum in the Dead's great pre retirement arc of development. Compared to 1967, this is so refined sounding. What a great contrast in styles of improvisation.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

First rate Peggy-O for sure. Bobby with the supporting fills. Took all night but I got it in.

Was tied up on 5/25/72. That disc 3 is a set to be reckoned with. UJB / Wharf Rat / Dark Star / Sugar Mags.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

... good morning Daverock , I absolutely concur, that 1967 Shrine Vinyl Release is an audiophiles Quality Dream Come True for my head!
It’s sounds so good, it even captured bobs request of liking/adding thick air! Lol
If your a vinyl fan, this is the LP for you. You won’t be disappointed with the art production either!
Primo 😉✌️

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

... holy Toledo , disc two is a 30 minute plus Primo ‘Dancing In The Street’ >>> ‘Franklins Tower’ performance that is sure to get you up on your feet and dancing! Smile Smile Smile!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

"East West" ...The Butterfield Blues Band - A Professor Stoned remaster of a Mono vinyl rip...
"Moondance" ...Van Morrison...the 2013 expanded edition digi-pak
"Sticky Fingers" ...The Rolling Stones... 2015 box set edition ... Disc three "Live At Leeds -'71"
"Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music Vol's 1 & 2"... Ray Charles
"Crying Time" ...Ray Charles an MP3 download of the original LP...

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Just dropped by to say, I really enjoyed 2 Jan 70. It had that relaxed, loose but tight and intimate feel that seems to be a hallmark of the Fillmore East nights. And man that Disc 3 classic medley smoked big time. Starts out loosey-goosey, then simply explodes at various points. For my money, one of the best DaPs yet. 3 Jan I found both rugged (St Stephen into Midnight Hour) and wonderful (Alligator, natch, Cosmic C and UJH).

Remembering those who gave their lives for our freedom, and our democracy, today. While astonished to see we're under a tornado watch here in Denver til 9pm. Crazy sh*t!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Another tasty lil show

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I listened to this last show today and thought of the recording guy's story from Long Strange Trip. Leaving the van unsupervised and watching them play this one. Heady times.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

.... another curve ball from the boyz that was unexpected. My hard wired Dead brain took a sharp left. A WTF? moment for sure. Goes to show, you don't ever know. (Jerry does it better, so they settled on the correct storyteller. Testing the waters?)
That show also features Garcia on some welcoming pedal steel. Maybe that's why they did it. Seeing as how the pedal steel is prominent in that take, Jerry said " I need to concentrate Bobby. You take the mic." Lol. A Summer '69 box would be welcome in my abode. That's when the Dead really started to spread their wings and fly.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

My dear old mom was kind enough to not only birth me, but to do so on what's usually a 3-day weekend here in the states. Much better than the day after Christmas for sure. . . I'm starting with the AIDs benefit at Oakland-Alameda on 5/27/89 (happens to open with Touch of Gray, but I'm looking forward to set 2's Truckin'>Drums>Space>I Will Take You Home>The Other One>Wharf Rat>Lovelight). I was 36 on that day 30 years ago. The E Street Band's Clarence Clemons joins in from time to time on sax:
https://archive.org/details/gd1989-05-27.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.8760…

It's been a while since I heard the '89 show, which is why I'm saving Road Trips 2.4, Cal Expo 5/27/93 for later.
Here's a Miller soundboard transfer of that show: https://archive.org/details/gd93-05-27.sbd.miller.27777.sbeok.flac

On this Memorial Day, thanks to all who, over the years, have saved the peace and preserved our freedom at unthinkable cost. Onward.

Let us toast;
Those who gave the most,
Mr Smith, (happy, happy, joy, joy),
and the Amazing European tour of 1972! .......

Listened to 5/26/72 yesterday, and it blows my mind that it was basically Pigs last show......don’t believe he sang at the Hollywood show? Like one minute he was there kicking ass, and the next, poof, gone. Though he didn’t pass for almost a year, it’s almost like he died after this show, such a bummer......ok enough of all that.......

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I looked everywhere and was sure I didn't order it, so I ordered Aoxomoxa (picture disc and cd). Just minutes later I found my earlier purchase of same thing! So I guess I'll have 2 copies of both. Can't cancel pre-order stuff, right?

I haven't posted this before, have I?

For the box......
A) let’s guess when they’ll announce it; today, tomorrow, Friday? When??
B) How many folks saw shows on their birthday? I got 11/9/79 and basically was still going strong after 11/7+8/85, but I think those were the only shows I saw in November?

I'm building a bigger mailbox. Looks like June is the month for the orders to come in. Lets see, we got the Aoxomoxoa, we got the Jerry Purple LPs, the Dylan collection, the Warfield collection, the new springsteen disc and the latest Zappa box!!!

Damn mailbox is gonna cost more than the music!!!

especially if you missorderd 2 of everything 😉
Don’t feel bad, had similar situation with the JGB Eel box.

I went on one of my trips to London on Friday to see the mighty Sun Ra Arkestra. Before setting off I checked my ticket for the show, my train ticket, my hotel ticket-and discovered I had booked in at the same hotel twice on two separate occasions! Luckily, I was able to get my money back on the second booking. As my grandad used to say-young people are very kind. Its just that I am no longer one of them!

Maybe we can take solace in the fact that the leader of the Sun Ra Arkestra, Marshall Allen, is now 95 years old and still blowing some of the most outrageous sax solos in the solar system.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

....and becomes a portal to jams and melodies when the time approaches. I love my mailbox, even though the occasional bill shows up to ruin the vibe, but I will survive.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html