• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...9/24/72 Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT
A grateful show included in the ‘30TATS’ boxset. I really enjoy this mix, Keith sounds Divine, and Phil is great as usual and comes thru amazingly thru the mix. Really everybody sounds wonderful. Very different feeling not having Pigpen there. :( non the least this is a primo show! I love it! Disc three begening of the wicked Dark Star sequence and then a surprise twist at the end. Pretty good. Rock on everyone, hoping everyone had a grateful holiday weekend. God bless🙏❤️😎
...Boxset On June 3rd, I was told deffently ?! I’ll take it though!!! 😁😁😁

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I have quite a different experience at the mailbox on release day. There's a lot of reaching in and contorting my arm this way and that to avoid the plethora of bills, collection notices, subpoenas, and hate mail, just to get my fingers around that manilla bubble mailer. Then I carefully extract it like a game of Operation.

...probably due to that smoldering third Disc from the last Dave's Picks.

Still on a 69 binge that started with Big Rock last week.. and it's still huge fun. Subpoenas.. Ha!
(..and thanks for the shout out, LMG).

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I just realized we may have gotten the last William Tell St. Stephen with the 1/2/70 release. The next night on the bonus disc goes right into Midnight Hour. The next show that I have with St. Steven is High in Hawaii aka DaP 19, and it goes right into Lovelight.....hmmmm.....

Edit: Jimbo - I just saw your plug for the Big Rock show(s). I've only listened to that one a couple of times. Which show grabbed it, or was it the whole shabang?

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Those two shows keep growing on me.

I started with this sequence:

Doin' That Rag>
He Was a Friend of Mine>
China Cat Sunflower>
The Eleven>
Death Don't Have No Mercy
and added Morning Dew for good measure.

Powerful.

Dicks Picks 16 is next up. Perhaps one of the best shows of the year. I might have to get all fungal for this one.

Operation; Hee-here, KF you constantly crack me up. Thanks!
Melting 3rd disc indeed....actually currently rocking the 1/3 material in “order”...yeowsa!
Somewhere over the blur of the five day weekend, I dove into the 5/24/69 stuff in “order”. Also snuck the 5/23 DS sequence in there somewhere? Did the 5/26/72 monster.....eventually needed some eighties to cleanse.....fired up Dave’s 27 while I fought with machete through the jungle, er a, the garage, ahem....good working music, but a, not holding up so well to all the top shelf stuff of late....snuck a little 4/7/85 in this evening. Great show, not so good recording...but I’m totally biased on this one...and it was nice to change it up. So now we’re sneaking a little 1-3-70 in before we fire up the DVR and find the “B”s getting their ass handed to them.....yea Vguy, I don’t have any emotional stake either......except I hate the #$&$&**& Bruins! A,aaaa, sorry, ahem. Now that we have that out in the open.....
“Go on home your mommas calling you” yea you Marchand, you walking hemorrhoid! Sorry, into UJB now....”ain’t no time to hate”....well maybe the Bruins? and that big Goon Chara, “where ever he goes the people all complain”....
But sad but true folks that’s how the Bruins win, and win they do. From that bigger garbage goal donut eating pig Phil Espo they’ve all ways done it ugly! But in the annuls of time, and the in record books, a win is a mofo win, and a Champion is immortal! All I hope is it’s clean/no ref BS! Go Blues!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I would like to design a t shirt with tje cheap trick logo

But it reads "5/1/80" instead

Its a gem

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Rip roarin' fun

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Anyone catch that 1st game last night? Hehehe.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Last Five Music Endeavors. All of these treats are highly recommended. Have a grate day Heads!!
11.17.73 UCLA
Cannonball Adderly and Milt Jackson: Things are Getting Better
Vampire Weekend: Father of the Bride (2 listens)
Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane
5.7.77 Boston Garden

***I am not a robot! :))

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by TLEO 77

So, do you know when the release date is? Please share and let us know any other information you may have. I am sure we would all love to hear it.
The last box was announced the first week of June 2018. Man, it has been a long time!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Hell, I want my digital download of the 45 selection of the month!!!!

download
download
download

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - right on point.

The Bruins are completely unlikable. Marchand is nothing more than a cowardly punk.

I fear that the Blues blew their opportunity last night giving up that two goal lead. After vanquishing those referee-aided Sharks, their season may be ending shortly. Let's hope not.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Big Rock is of those releases that didn't grab me right away, but if you're seeing melty Uncle Sams ushering in a troup of Dancing Bears on it, then I want in. I'm going to make the prescribed playlist and go for a walk with my headphones. Offa work 2day.

Edit: whoa Nellie, leave it to me to f*@# up a recipe. I programmed in all of the Big Rock songs and then noticed there's a little 4 minute Alligator after Death Don't Have No Mercy that's not in the play list. Plus I just watched Back to the Future Part 2, so I have a heightened awareness of the consequences that even a small deviation can have on the melted face continuum.

So far so good. Doin' That Rag was right on target, and I've been newly awakened to to the goodness of He Was a Friend of Mine, ever since that 3/31/69 experience (perfect transition into China Cat too).

Obororous I may need to borrow that machete. Just walked out through the garage and it's bad out here.....

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...Incase anyone missed the opportunity to pick a copy up, Dead.net Store has some RSD Warfield CD’s copies back in stock!!!
Rock on my brothers & sisters. 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Come on its hockey...since when was this ever a "gentleman's" game? What do you want it to be, croquet?

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Did you see Dead Vikes question?

…. I was at a motorcycle event once and one of things that had was a "wrestle the bear" thing. Had this 'restler lookin' fellar and a small(?) bear. He'd tumble around with the bear and offer some amount of coin, if you'd stayed some amount of time. But he warned "don't grab the bears nuts or I will not pull him off"!

SAY NO MORE!

Some fools did wrestle the bear, the bear was gentle, but you had NO hope of preventing a pin!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Butch

A dollar a doughnut he saw it. He is under double secret oaths NEVER to reveal exact shit. If he did, TPTB would never tell him shit again. Shit is a one way street, people tell you shit, but you can repeat shit.

I interacted with Jerry in a dream last night

I don't remember much about it, but it was definitely a Jerry dream.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by 80sfan

That's a great article you've shared.
Bobby is a really likable guy.
Critter butt-sniffin' and all.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I never said anything at the time, but I had an illusion of seeing Jerry when I saw Live Dead 69 last month. During one of the jams, I closed my eyes and let myself get carried away. Just in my mind-I'm not one for jumping about. After a while, I opened my eyes, and there he was on stage, playing guitar. Just for a second, then he morphed back into whoever it was who was really there.

....i didn't know Bobby chewed. Anyway, i had a cool dream a few years ago that i saw the Dead playing on an aircraft carrier in SF Bay. That was neat.

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Hey Folks

I am having trouble finding what the Original Cost of The Europe 72 Trunk. Does anyone remember what those were being sold for back in 2011?? Thanks for the help!!

I believe it was right on the $450 mark. It was supposed to be 72 discs as I recall (were there 72 discs???) , which would bring it to just under $7 a disc which seems about right.

The best $450 I ever spent (the next best was the $6 bail it cost to get fresh out of prison, topic for another day perhaps).

One Alligator tidbit, from the Annotated Grateful Dead / David Dodd.. "I recently saw in Scott Freeman's book Midnight Riders: The Story of the Allman Brothers Band that Duane first played "Mountain Jam" one night while sitting in with the Grateful Dead (p. 123). The melodic strains of Donovan's "There Is a Mountain" can clearly be heard right at the 09:00 minute mark on the Anthem of the Sun version of "Alligator". Ironic: that one of the ABB's most famous pieces was originally employed as an improvisational springboard by the Dead... " I wonder what show that was?

#1969 Melts.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Dennis, a few months back, while ordering a bunch of music, I threw a copy of Mahler's Eighth Symphony (Solti conducting) into my Presto Music cart and checked out. When the big box of CDs arrived, I went to put the Mahler on the shelf, and realized that I already HAD a copy of the same recording! Doh.

I'm not a robot, but I play one on t.v.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim I think you got the money just right. The # of discs were I believe planned at 72 but for perfection it went to 73

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim, unfortunately that Midnight Riders book was terribly researched on that tidbit. I have a tape as early as 5/4/69 in Macon with a 25 min Mountain Jam. Now, the story is true that Duane got the idea from teases Jerry did while The Hourglass were still together, as they apparently opened for the Dead a couple times (Liberty Records wouldn't let them play much, which frustrated Duane), and that's where he first heard it, and this would be 1968, as he quit The Hourglass, went back to Florida, then made his way to Muscle Shoals to try his hands at session work. The only definite sit ins he made with the Dead were 2/11/70 at the Fillmore East when Duane, Berry, and Gregg joined Peter Green and Danny Kirwan for Dark Star> Spanish Jam> Lovelight and 4/26/71 (leaving Gatlinburg, TN where the Allmans were rehearsing to guest at the Fillmore East). I read in a guitar magazine about another possible jam as Jerry, Duane, and Bob went to a radio station and had planned on doing some jamming on the air, but Duane lacked an acoustic, and caught some shit from Jerry about being unprepared. But Duane didn't hold it against him in the least, saying of Jerry that "He could do anything that any man ever could. He could walk on water. He's a prince" and in another radio interview when asked who he'd like to jam with, Duane listed some people, but ended with a line about he'd play with Jerry Garcia anywhere. Too bad Gregg's legal (heroin) issues led to Jerry dismissing him as a narc and pretty much ending any further associations between the two bands after the early 70s.

Ironically, I visited the Big House in Macon this past weekend for the first time. Jaimoe and Friends happened to be playing when we arrived, so that was a bonus. A great museum, and experience, would be cool if 710 got the same treatment. I visited the graves of Duane, Gregg, and Berry as well. Sad and moving. There were several people already there, three guys jamming on acoustics.

May have to pull out some of my rarest ABB after this trip down memory lane. Time to dust off the cassette deck!

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

One of the best from 1970.

Didn't Duane also play with the Dead on 4/4/71?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

The book by Scott Freeman is also surprisingly dismissive of The Dead, too. Butch Trucks is quoted as saying the Dead's use of two drummers didn't work, as they were " contrived" and stuck to previously worked out patterns. He goes on to say "Their whole approach is very structured." Whereas he saw himself and Jaimoe as being completely free and spontaneous.
The trouble with making and quoting a comment like that is that the reader is inclined to apply the criticism to the person who is making it. Which isn't necessarily true either, of course. But it doesn't present the opinionated person in the best of lights. The Allman Brothers deserve a better eulogy than this one.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Well.. that's interesting. I did find it somewhat incredulous that he walked away from an improv session with the basics of a song without recording and re-listening. I know I couldn't do it, but then again I am no musical genius.

It's a testament to the knowledge of this group that something so obscure was fact checked so quickly. Thanks for the feedback.

Back to our regularly scheduled Feedback > We Bid You Goodnight.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...I feel bad for those who believe in your statement, a very negative & uncouth approach to your problem...peace be with you brother...🙏❤️😔
...”one man's trash is another man's treasure!”
Thats much more my cup of tea folks...
*This morning I’m recycling 5/28/77, from the Grateful Dead ‘To Terrapin’ Hartford 77’ Release from 2009. Primo! :) :) :)
Have a grateful day everyone, rock on!

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Great Woodgreen Jam!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

Interesting, and kind of ironic....I thought the opposite. Surely, Mick and Bill had some parts of the early, more complex psychedelic stuff “worked out” but contrived? I’ve seen the Brothers many times and I would sometimes wonder why they had 2,3,4 ? Drummers, they all were playing the same thing....generally B&M would not.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, same here. Part of the incredible innovative power of the band between late 1967 and the end of 1970 was precisely because they had two drummers. I haven't seen it for a while, but as I remember it, Hugh Hefner comments on the two drum set up during the Playboy After Dark appearance in 1969. Jerry describes the effect of hearing it in action as like being exposed to "rolling thunder"-or words to that effect. If there was anything like this sound in rock/jazz /whatever, before The Dead utilised it...I haven't heard it yet.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

The E72 anniversary project came to a screeching halt at the Lyceum run. Tough to keep up with 4 shows in a row, which is the most they did the entire tour. I've gotten most of 5/23 in (excellent set list, blistering Promised Land - wait, I think I said this last week). Anyway, up to 5/24, but the '69 / '70 bug grabbed me.

Jimbo, the Big Rock play list is hot. I didn't recall how well-recorded this show was. I also didn't realize until I got into it that these songs are one contiguous piece of music. When I saw it on paper, I knew China Cat & The Eleven were connected, but not the rest; it makes all the difference in the world. Let me first say - extraordinary transitions throughout the entire set. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Excellent Doin' That Rag - I can't say I recall a better version. My new favorite of the era: He Was a Friend of Mine. After hearing the 3/31/69 version of Stoltzie's, and now this one, I'm scratching my head on how they didn't play this song more often. It was always kind of a novelty item for me on the Thelma release, paired with that trippy UJB. Can't wait to queue up the 3rd and final "official" version from the FW Bonus Disc soon. The China Cat transition into The Eleven struck me as "particularly good", as my recollection from the '68 versions is that they go into it with more of a bang than a sneak, after a few measures of Jerry playing the lead intro, followed by the group pounce into The Eleven; but here in the only 1969 China Cat / Eleven that I can think of, Jerry begins the transition with the Eleven lead intro (par for the course so far), but the rest of the band kind of lingers on the China Cat jam a bit longer, before joining in one at a time; then we get the big Eleven pounce. The subtlety here makes for one of those seamless transitions where you don't quite recall how you went from one song to the next (which is precisely why this version stood out for me - one minute I was driving along admiring a good looking lady in a jeep, the next I realized the Eleven had started without me - REWIND). Death Don't Have No Mercy doesn't come up on my play lists too often, mostly I guess, because they didn't play it that much. Every time I hear it though, I think, wow, this is right up there with Zeppelin doing Since I've Been Loving You, and the blues wasn't even Garcia's forte (or T.C.'s for that matter, and he lays down some nice organ chords and fills). Not that I would ever compare the Dead with Zeppelin for sustained Blues prowess LedDed - just saying they sound like they know what they're doing up there ;-) Anyone who's enjoying the new Dave's Picks and wants more of the Magnificent Seven, Jim's unearthed a perfect medley from Disc 2 of Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 1 / Big Rock Pow-Wow '69. And it's only 35 minutes....unless you add the Morning Dew "for good measure" which I advise. The pre-song banter will give you a chuckle.

With regard to the Butch Trucks / two drummer comment - I think he expressed the limitation for improv that I felt had hit the band after Mickey rejoined in '75. I would be interested to hear if he made the remark before or after Mickey's departure (I assume before, since this is when the two bands were most closely affiliated). There was a spontaneity to the music from '71-'74 that I really enjoy. Even on the shorter numbers, anybody in the band could swing this way or that to change things up a bit. Probably the reason Playing in the Band evolved as it did. Prior to Mickey's leaving, however, his presence made for some powerfully live concert moments (The Eleven I was just talking about not least of all); without him on the early stuff, Primal Dead would not quite have been so primal. We're lucky enough to get the best of both worlds with the archival releases.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Hey Sixtus. We're all pretty spoiled, but I have to ask: Now that the anniversary has passed, any chance of a "Sixtus Over-, Under-, Around-, and Re-view of Other Ones from Europe '72"? You and Keithfan and others started down the path in early April, but there've been lots of distractions since then. I still pull up your Europe '72 Dark Star review regularly. Just wondering. . . ;-)

I was at a Wisconsin KMart, 1979, 15 years old, buying an album of my own...deciding between Enlightened Rogues by ABB and Journey. Yes, Journey. One look at the back cover photo, and...

I chose ABB. later bought Fillmore East, Eat a Peach.

Three years and one move to California later, I found the GD.

ABB were ok after that, but nowhere near the GD in my rabidity.

the ABB camp dissing the GD camp...laaaaaaaaaaaaame. Like a scooter critiquing the space shuttle.

Like many artists, I'm sure they envied the GD's...loyal fan base.

I do like ABB guesting on 7/16/72, 7/28/73, and 2/11/70.

but ABB overall...I'm done with them.

....thx Jeff for the reminder and also keeping me honest in this monumental task of cataloging The Other Ones from the E'72 trunk. Invoking said honesty, I am behind - but not for a lack of trying.

I've made it up to the May 16th/Luxembourg show, but have only been taking 'mental notes'. I can say with fairly definitive certainty that the April 11th/Newcastle Other One is my favorite so far - it gets into a bit of a feelin' groovy jam in there too - but beyond that I have little to offer otherwise, at this exact moment.

I will say, and I've mentioned it before (as have many others), the consistency of the playing here is what is remarkable, however the fact it is still '72 means the song selection can only go so far and of course each show is fairly similar in this regard save for swapping songs in differing slots. Nonetheless, each time I listen to a show there are things that pop out at me enough to make mental note that "this is a pretty damn fine show".
I still really like each and every Mister Charlie - it's a fun, punchy tune with loads of personality. Too bad it all but disappeared following this tour....with Pig on the decline, you can't win 'em all.

Oh...I also enjoyed the history on the mountain jam whoever started that discussion. Pretty cool about the origins of the ABB's take on this (at least as described here). I love the reference Jer makes in the 2/14/68 Alligator to it and I find inspiration in the fact the ABB saw the same. But in the end, I gotta agree with Stoltzie, ABB can't hold a candle to the good ole GD.

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Since Trucks shot himself in the head in front of his wife, I think it safe to assume mental illness/dementia/Alzheimer's played at least a small part in his suicide. Several news articles of the time cite mounting financial debt ($800,000) as a possible motive. Trucks had to sell his condo in Florida and was being hounded by the IRS.

The 'trash' talk regarding GD in general and BK & MH in particular could also have been the result of mental incapacitation.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Jim - you got me looking at powwowville. When you listen, do you listen in the disc order of the set or show order. The section you referenced is from one show (on the 2nd disc), the dew is from the 3rd disc, different night. I have them stored in show order. How the dew work in that location?

Shultzy - I think I agree about ABB and done with them. Not so much them per se, but some acts. I can hear the screw you's already, but I always feel that way about the who. It's like the catalog of live playing isn't thick enough or different enough to warrant drooling. Tom Petty hit me that way, saw him 3 times with years between each and felt I saw the same show :-) (hey tom, 30 fucking years can't you throw an extra note or two in Refugee! :-) There are just groups you feel you've gone to a performance of their greatest hits, versus a performance of great live dynamic musicianship.

Exception for me - Pink Floyd, shows from that catalog are always incredible sounding, you only need to see 1 show per tour since they are virtually the same every time. But damn, they always sound good!

Yes, yes, yes to every one of them…If I remember correctly it was the only song played at every E72 show with 'Black Throated Wind' next at 20…not played at Bremen 4/21 & Paris 5/4.

I think 'Mr. Charlie' along with Sly Stone's 'Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)' are 2 great examples of proto-funk or Pig-Funk in the GD's case (imho).

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DaveStrang

How sad. I've just had a look in "Midnight Riders", and the quote I referred to isn't sourced, so it could have been made at any time under any circumstances. It occurs during a consideration of the Fillmore East album, 1971, which suggests the comment was contemporaneous-but there is no evidence that it is.

The other thing is - we all say ill considered things at times. If someone had recorded all the stupid things I have said in my life, and written them down at a later date you would have a book as thick as the Bible.

There are a few old bands and musicians I see who can still kick out the jams. Jeff Beck is better than ever, and King Crimson were incredible last year when I saw them. Though to be fair, it was also the first time I had seen them. I will be there at the Flamin' Groovies gig next week, followed by Steve Hillage the day after. I am, it is fair to say, a man of my times.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

yes yes YES

And, this is my NameDay show.
Therefore, it must be released.
There, I said it.

.....Dave???

- Sixtus

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html