• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years

Rhino’s Summer Of ’69 Vinyl Series Features Two New Woodstock Compilations And More This July

Artist Name
Various Artists
Release Date
Tue, 07/09/2019
RHINO CELEBRATES THE SUMMER OF '69:
PEACE, LOVE AND MUSIC

Upcoming Series Of Limited-Edition Vinyl Releases Includes Two New Woodstock Compilations Plus Woodstock-Era Recordings From Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Crosby, Still & Nash, The Monkees, Van Morrison And More

Three-Week Rollout Of Releases Begins On July 9

LOS ANGELES - Rhino recently announced a robust slate of boxed sets focusing around the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock, including Woodstock - Back To The Garden: The Definitive 50th Anniversary Archive , an unprecedented 38-CD collection featuring a near complete chronological reconstruction of every artist performance at the festival. To continue the celebration of that generation-defining moment in popular music history, on July 9, Rhino will also launch their "Summer of '69 - Peace, Love and Music" retail campaign with a series of limited-edition vinyl releases that will be available exclusively at participating brick and mortar retail outlets.

The centerpieces of Rhino's "Summer of '69 - Peace, Love and Music" are two new Woodstock collections, followed by several Woodstock-era artists who performed at the festival, like Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and Crosby, Stills & Nash.

The "Summer of '69" series opens on July 9 with new colored-vinyl versions of the two classic Woodstock collections everyone knows and loves: WOODSTOCK: MUSIC FROM THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK AND MORE (3-LP, half blue/half hot pink vinyl, $49.98) and WOODSTOCK TWO (2-LP, half orange/half mint green vinyl, $34.98). Originally released in 1970 and 1971 respectively, these sets include indelible performances by Jimi Hendrix, Sly & The Family Stone, Santana, The Who and more.

On the same day, they'll be joined by two new collections: WOODSTOCK THREE (3-LP, 180-gram, $49.98) and WOODSTOCK FOUR (2-LP, 180-gram, $34.98). Both showcase music on vinyl for the first time that will also be available in CD form in the Back To The Garden: The Definitive 50th Anniversary Archive boxed set.

WOODSTOCK THREE and WOODSTOCK FOUR both feature performances by artists who didn't appear on the original soundtracks (Creedence Clearwater Revival, Janis Joplin, Sweetwater, Blood Sweat & Tears), as well as additional recordings from artists featured on the original soundtracks (Canned Heat, Melanie, Arlo Guthrie and John Sebastian).

Vinyl Me Please will also offer a limited edition boxed set that bundles all four Woodstock vinyl collections in an exclusive 10-LP collection. The set can be preordered now at www.vinylmeplease.com.

Two other vinyl collections are scheduled for release on July 9. The first is a 5-LP set that captures the Grateful Dead performing live in the band's hometown. FILLMORE WEST, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 2/28/69 is pressed on 180-gram black vinyl and available for $99.98. The second is a 7-LP set of the recently remastered versions of Tim Buckley's first seven studio albums. THE ALBUM COLLECTION 1966-1972 is pressed on 140-gram black vinyl and available for $109.98.

The second round of releases in the "Summer of '69 - Peace, Love and Music" campaign will arrive on July 16. Highlights include Love's FOUR SAIL on mint-green vinyl ($19.98), Jefferson Airplane's THIRTY SECONDS OVER WINTERLAND on sky-blue vinyl ($21.98), and a green-vinyl version of THE BEST OF ARLO GUTHRIE ($19.98).

The final round of Woodstock-era releases will be available on July 23. It includes a gold-vinyl version of The Butterfield Blues Band's KEEP ON MOVING ($19.98), a burgundy-vinyl edition of Crosby, Stills & Nash's self-titled debut ($21.98), and the soundtrack to The Monkees' cult classic film HEAD on silver vinyl ($21.98).

The full schedule for the SUMMER of '69 - PEACE, LOVE AND MUSIC is:

July 9
Woodstock - Music From The Original Soundtrack And More (3-LP, half blue/half hot pink vinyl, $49.98)
Woodstock Two (2-LP, half orange/half mint green vinyl, $34.98)
Woodstock Three (3-LP, 180-gram Black Vinyl, $49.98)
Woodstock Four (2-LP, 180-gram Black Vinyl, $34.98)
Grateful Dead - Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA 2/28/69 (5-LP, 180-gram Black Vinyl, $99.98)
Tim Buckley - The Album Collection 1966 - 1972 (7-LP, Black Vinyl, $109.98)

July 16
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield (Stereo) (1-LP, Black Vinyl, $21.98)
Buffalo Springfield - Again (Stereo) (1-LP, 180-gram Black Vinyl, $21.98)
Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around (Stereo) (1-LP, 180-gram Black Vinyl, $21.98)
Arlo Guthrie - The Best of Arlo Guthrie (1-LP, Green Vinyl, $19.98)
Love - Four Sail (1-LP, Mint Green Vinyl, $19.98)
Jefferson Airplane - Thirty Seconds Over Winterland (1-LP, 180-gram Sky Blue Vinyl, $21.98)

July 23
Van Morrison - Moondance (1-LP, Orange Vinyl, $21.98)
Graham Nash - Over The Years... The Demos (1-LP, Black Vinyl, $21.98)
The Butterfield Blues Band - Keep On Moving (1-LP, Gold Vinyl, $19.98)
Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver (1-LP, 180-gram Smoky Green Vinyl, $24.98)
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash (1-LP, Burgundy Vinyl, $21.98)
The Monkees - Head (1-LP, Silver Vinyl, $21.98)

WOODSTOCK: MUSIC FROM THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK AND MORE
3-LP Track Listing (Half Blue/Half Hot Pink Vinyl)

Side One
1. John B. Sebastian - "I Had A Dream"
2. Canned Heat - "Going Up The Country"
3. Stage Announcements
4. Richie Havens - "Freedom"
5. Country Joe & The Fish - "Rock & Soul Music"
6. Arlo Guthrie - "Coming Into Los Angeles"
7. Sha-Na-Na - "At The Hop"

Side Two
1. Country Joe McDonald - "The 'Fish' Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag"
2. Joan Baez Featuring Jeffrey Shurtleff - "Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man
3. Joan Baez - "Joe Hill"
4. Stage Announcements
5. Crosby, Stills & Nash - "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"
6. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Sea Of Madness"

Side Three
1. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Wooden Ships"
2. The Who - "We're Not Gonna Take It (From Tommy)
3. Stage Announcements
4. Joe Cocker - "With A Little Help From My Friends"
5. Rainstorm, Crowd Sounds, Announcements & General Hysteria

Side Four
1. Crowd Rain Chant
2. Santana - "Soul Sacrifice"
3. Stage Announcements
4. Ten Years After - "I'm Going Home"

Side Five
1. Jefferson Airplane - "Volunteers"
2. Max Yasgur
3. Sly & The Family Stone - Medley: "Dance To The Music/Music Lover/I Want To Take You Higher"
4. John B. Sebastian - "Rainbows All Over Your Blues"

Side Six
1. Butterfield Blues Band - "Love March"
2. Jimi Hendrix - "Star Spangled Banner"
3. Jimi Hendrix - "Purple Haze/Instrumental Solo"

WOODSTOCK TWO
2-LP Track Listing (Half Orange / Half Mint Green Vinyl)

Side One
1. Jimi Hendrix - "Jam Back At The House"
2. Jimi Hendrix - "Izabella"
3. Jimi Hendrix - "Get My Heart Back Together"

Side Two
1. Jefferson Airplane - "Saturday Afternoon/Won't You Try"
2. Jefferson Airplane - "Eskimo Blue Day"
3. The Butterfield Blues Band - "Everything's Gonna Be Alright"

Side Three
1. Joan Baez - "Sweet Sir Galahad"
2. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Guinnevere"
3. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "4 + 20"
4. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Marrakesh Express"
5. Melanie - "My Beautiful People"
6. Melanie - "Birthday Of The Sun"

Side Four
1. Mountain - "Blood Of The Sun"
2. Mountain - "Theme For An Imaginary Western"
3. Canned Heat - "Woodstock Boogie"
4. Audience During Sunday Rainstorm - "Let The Sunshine In"

WOODSTOCK THREE
3-LP Track Listing

Side One
1. Richie Havens - "High Flying Bird"
2. Bert Sommer - "Jeanette"
3. The Incredible String Band - "When You Find Out Who You Are"
4. Melanie - "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Side Two
1. Creedence Clearwater Revival - "I Put A Spell On You"
2. The Keef Hartley Band -"Too Much Thinking"
3. Joe Cocker - "Hitchcock Railway"

Side Three
1. Jefferson Airplane - "The Other Side Of This Life"
2. Canned Heat - "A Change Is Gonna Come/Leaving This Town"

Side Four
1. Country Joe & The Fish - "Rock & Soul Music" (Reprise)
2. Sweetwater - "My Crystal Spider"

Side Five
1. Sly & The Family Stone - "M'Lady"
2. Janis Joplin - "To Love Somebody"
3. The Who - "Amazing Journey/Sparks"

Side Six
1. Johnny Winter - "Mean Town Blues"
2. Blood, Sweat & Tears - "Sometimes In Winter"
3. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "49 Bye-Byes"
4. John Sebastian - "Younger Generation"

WOODSTOCK FOUR
2-LP Track Listing

Side One
1. Jefferson Airplane - "Wooden Ships"

Side Two
1. Ten Years After - "Help Me
2. The Who - "Summertime Blues"

Side Three
1. The Butterfield Blues Band - "Born Under A Bad Sign"
2. Joe Cocker - "Something To Say"

Side Four
1. Arlo Guthrie - "Wheel Of Fortune"
2. Ravi Shankar - "Raga Manj Kmahaj"

user picture

Member for

8 years

Grateful Dead - Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA 2/28/69 (5-LP, 180-gram Black Vinyl, $99.98)
🙏❤️😎
Have a grateful Sunday my brothers & sisters!
😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks to JeffSmith for posting the Hi-Res scans... :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

For the life of me I can never remember the dates or venues for Pacific Northwest box set, other than May June 73-74. It's been awhile since I've put this one on. Show number one from 1973 with perhaps the best bird song ever according to that funny video Jim posts from time to time. Nice to hear Box of Rain. Walking in the sunshine right now, hot but Breezy. Headphones Max.

Minas, thanks, I thought that goofy duck sketch was lost in dead.net's digital archives.

Happy Birthday Pete!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I see that I'm not the only one revisiting some of the previous boxes. I have been listening to a couple shows from the first May '77 box, the 5/17/77 Tuscaloosa show and the 5/11/77 St. Paul show. Both shows reminded me how much I like that first May '77 box. I saw Nitecat's post about the GSTL box and feel like most of it could easily refer to the first May '77 box as well, a box of great, well recorded shows coming right after Cornell and the other GSTL shows. My preference for upcoming boxes is pretty consistent with the sentiment expressed so far that something in the 3-6 show range is the sweet spot.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The latest in a series of second hand, bargain priced box sets arrived at my front door this morning-"From Nashville to Memphis" by Elvis Presley. All the 1960s studio cuts, apparently, that weren't gospel or made to measure schlocky movies songs. Its a 5 cd set, and the 4th features the tracks he cut at American Studios in Memphis. Listed among the vocalists is one Donna Thatcher. Its her, isn't it.

DP29

Working my way through Set2

Later, 5-19-74 vinyl.

Nice to see 2-28-69 coming out on vinyl. But at $99.98, when 2-27-69 was $80, I’m wondering if I really need it.

LMG,
Try just posting the link, it’s easier than copying and pasting multiple paragraphs.

https://www.rhino.com/article/rhino-celebrates-the-summer-of-69-peace-l…

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

U will like it

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

With so much from '77 released in the past couple years, I forgot to put this one on recently. Holy smokes, now I know why this show came along early in the official '77 canon. So smooth. The Wheel was a treat in those days.

Love my girl, yes it would be much better if you just post the link. Think some people mentioned it a few weeks ago, where you just have to copy and paste the web address from your browser like Icecrmcnkd demonstrated. Great content thanks, just takes up a ton of space on the page when you post it all. Thanks.

....checked out the first few songs. I did notice that, once again, Pigpen butchers the Hard To Handle lyrics. Pattern forming. Still works though.
Watching The Death of Stalin. Good movie about one of the biggest assholes that ever existed. I type this as I'm enjoying some vodka.
Love My Girl ❤️'s emojis. 🤙✌️

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I try to stick to a vinyl exclusive-only plan on Dead releases. Hampton ‘79, Winterland May 30, 1971, etc. If I already have it or can get it on CD, I’m good. I wish I had the cheddar to pick up every vinyl release but then again, I don’t dig the idea of flipping sides every 1 to 3 songs. The only exception to this is owning the LST Soundtrack Amazon-Exclusive 6 LP version and it is a joy to spin. Also, that Stella Blue from 7/5/81 (OKC) is on there . 😉

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by OKCDeadHead

I need to be a bit more discerning in what I buy...maybe. These vinyl and box set deluxe production jobbies look great, sound great and cost great. I have only got 2/28/69 in its entirety, on (say it quietly) a bootleg-so that's one I will probably spring for. I may need a mild tranquilliser when I realise how much it costs in English money, though.

Talking of films, I saw an amazing one last night called "Embrace The Serpent", a beautifully shot film about a journey down the Amazon river in search of a sacred plant. The final sequence is one of the best psychedelic visions I have ever seen captured on celluloid, although it is only a few minutes long at the end of the film.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...a grateful morning to all.
I posted the official release statement as it was given to me. Sorry if it was a long read but I assumed most would be interested in reading it. I didn’t have the link on hand yet and didn’t want to wait sharing some Good News...sorry folks I’m working on a phone lol
Take care everyone and smile smile smile summers coming! 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

8 years

...5/19/74 Portland Memorial Colliseum, Portland, OR from the boxset. Love’n it!
Excelent performance and set-list !!!

may is too tough for me to keep up with all the great shows. However, I have been listening to the first may boxset more this spring than I have in a couple years. 5/15 and 5/17 have been in heavy rotation over the last couple days....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Since vinyl is made up of chlorine (found in regular salt) and ethylene (found in crude oil) I'm willing to bet the farm the cost of chlorine isn't the reason for the ever rising cost of vinyl. This was from a quick Google search so if anyone has anything to add please do.

As a vinyl addict in the 70s & 80s I wouldn't go near it now due to the cost/storage space needed. I'm the 1st to admit vinyl sounds better, but now the CD is the way to go for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

This morning's Last 5: music helps a great deal with AM coffee/exercises.

1. Spain - She Haunts My Dreams
2. Little Willie John - The Very Best Of
3. GD - DaP30 1/2/70
4. GD - DaP30 1/3/70 chronological order
5. GD - DaP30 1/3/70 re-sequenced as follows:

1. Cold Rain And Snow
2. Mason's Children
3. Big Boss Man
4. That's It For The Other One >
5. Cosmic Charlie
6. Casey Jones
7. Morning Dew
8. Alligator >
9. Drums >
10. Alligator >
11. Feedback
12. Dancing In The Streets

Encore 1:
13. St. Stephen >
14. In The Midnight Hour

Encore 2:
15. Uncle John's Band
sounded like a good song to end a fictional show when JG says 'Good Night'.

It makes for a compact 2 hr., single set/double encore show with a 10 min. on-stage 'smoke/tech' break between 'Casey Jones' and 'Morning Dew'.

I've been spoiled by all of the official releases and now sequence most bonus material/bonus discs/compilations into something that resembles an actual GD show…at least to my ears...it makes things more interesting and you get to create your own set list…and you can't go wrong...what other band gives you that?

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by DaveStrang

(that happens occasionally)

Metallica Master of Puppets
Metallica ...And Justice for All

just gotta say I love those two

not happy music, but energetic

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

The Uncle Johns Band that was used was from the early set, so technically it should be after Feedback. It was the early set Encore. They did play Uncle Johns again after Cosmic Charlie in the late set, but that version goes directly into Black Peter, which obviously doesn't happen on the bonus disc...they also talk about Feedback right before the song starts.

The correct order goes as follows...

(Early show)
Morning Dew
Cold Rain
Alligator > Drums > Alligator > Feedback
Uncle Johns

(Late show)
Casey Jones
Big Boss Man
Masons Children
Cryptical
Cosmic Charlie
Dancin
St Stephen
Midnight Hour

I sequenced the bonus material & bonus disc 2 ways:

1. Chronological as it actually happened and as you have listed and...

2. A preferred (to my ears) sequence. The way I arrange the songs sound more like a show to me and probably won't work for anyone else. I like 'Feedback' towards the end of the show and so I put it there…to put it plainly, if a release isn't complete or is a compilation I like to play around with the song sequence. Almost 7 mins. of 'Feedback' in the middle of 2 incomplete shows breaks any 'flow' for me. I say play with your incomplete shows or compilations if you want…even more bang of your buck!

It’s been a little quiet here this weekend? Everyone getting outdoors, or are we rained in binge listening?
If only that box would come round....
In the mean time, we did the 74 Pepsi challenge with a touch of mojo 72...
PNW Box was basically ripped and background soundtrack to last years personal madness, so for anniversary show I tried to give the 74 stuff a better listen finally....honestly, mixed feelings...
7/17/74- don’t recall much, Friday night etc, ahem! But remeber feeling underwhelmed? Need to go back round again....
7/18/72- this ones blurry also, but in a good way. I remember smilling and thinking Ssssmmmmmoooooottthhh!
7/19/74- first set is ruff, especially with the audio anomaly’s......I can deal with some of that, but when the vocals are that out of balance, well, made me thing of Jim’s comment about box filler last week. Fortunately, the second set makes up for it in a big way.
7/21/74- tonight because no way that was happening tomorrow. Oooooohhhh-doggie! Now this one smokes pretty well, especially from the WRS through that awesome second set with the giant Dark Star like Playing.....phewwww.
Can’t wait for next month to hit the 73 stuff....I think overall, I prefer the year 73 to 74, but not drastically?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....as a matter of fact Oroborous, the family and I were out hiking this weekend. No signal where we were. And it was.......calming, to say the least.

user picture

Member for

16 years

Just wondering if there is still anybody (specifically European folks) out there in deadland who are yet to receive their subscription copy....never had an issue with any orders i've placed previously...hope this time ain't my time !.

I received mine, on subscription, in England,about 3-4 weeks ago. This was much, much quicker than all the others I have received. It might be worth sending a pm to Marye to check everything's okay.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

is it really too expensive? sound quality is superior, is it worth it? I say yes, and I'll tell you why. The better the sound quality, the better the experience, hence, vinyl is a superior way to listen to music. Yes, it's cumbersome, it takes an effort to listen to it, changing sides, limited space per side, but still, it's all about the music to me and the best sound comes via analog recordings. I ask anyone to compare the two and you will hear for your self what sounds best. The better the analog recording, the better the sound.
Just had a reread of Abbie Hoffman's book "Steal this Book". A bit outdated but just as good of a read in 2019 as it was in 1971. All ways liked Abbie "I have but one shirt to give for my country" Hoffman and I was a Yippie back in the day, also a member of another student led organization , but when they started to blow up buildings, I said "not what I signed up for" and left them behind. We need some people like Abbie nowdays, to shake things up with a bit of humor and common sense.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Fair enough...I'd say if there were ever anyone to re-arrange, it'd probably be this one...I don't see anything wrong with having fun with it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

and now we're going to see if we can remember it....." 5/21/77, the mighty Dick's Picks 29. Probably my favorite Brown-Eyed Women on account of Garcia's solo. Anyone ever catch the way he finishes this one off and heads back into the next verse? Hard to describe a guitar solo on paper. Budda-budda-birp Birp-birp-birp-birp-birp-birp.

Gollum, I saw your post about the Luxembourg show, talking about Bobby's playing, and I went back to it on the drive home last night. Yeah, you're right, one of his better shows. He's got all kinds of off-the-beat chops in there, and really plays aggressively on The Other One. I think every Other One should have had a 12 minute Dark Star intro on that tour....

But back to the anniversary at hand, 5/21/77. What can be said, other than listen to this one if you never have. On headphones if you can, if only so you can hear them huddle up and plan out the 2nd set magic. The whole show kicks ass. Starts with a Bertha / Uncle, first set ends with one of the better Scarlet / Fires I've heard (interestingly, Fire on the Mountain is a bit slower than usual; I never noticed this until one night I played about 10 different ones in a row trying to figure out if there was a best version).

user picture

Member for

8 years

...I opened the treasure chest and picked out
3/20/92 Hamilton, Ontario for a change of my preferred taste but I’ll tell you the truth I’m enjoying this Pick for 92’...
You get a rare Dark Star for this era. Althea is quite nice and I dig the ‘Maggie’s Farm’ before a grateful ‘Bird Song’ performance.
Second set with a ‘Shakedown Street’
Jerry does a great job on ‘standing on the moon’ as well...Rock On Everyone!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

If any California people out there can pick up a couple of tins of these, pm me. I really only want the tins.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I had forgotten all about the T shirt they sold for this release, but got an email informing me arriving tomorrow. Any one else order the shirt? It looked real nice.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

5/31/69

don't check set list
just listen

The GD in Pranksterville

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Everything KeithFan just said, especially about the "Brown Eyed Women". The "Scarlet" is a bit of a slow burn at first, but once it takes off, it soars.

This is one of my desert island shows, and the "Comes a Time" is all sorts of sublime.

I am still not a robot.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I have a birthday show 3/15/90, Terrapin Station Limited Edition (also share a birthday with Phil - he and I must beware the Ides of March). I have no idea why it's called Terrapin Station. That's another one Uncle Gary sent me. Everyone should have an Uncle Gary. He is my Grateful Dead mentor and friend. When I hit the lottery, we're getting bungalows. Three of them: 1 for him and his wife; another for me and my wife; and the third one which will use as the stoner bungalow. That one will have a wall of sound replica. Like really, I'm going to contract someone to build me a mini wall, but it's going to look exactly like the real thing only smaller scale. UG I hope all is well.

Dennis I also just received a shipping notice for my t-shirt. At first I wasn't sure if it was the 50th Anniversary release of Aoxomoxoa. Mickey tells me that's a palindrome. Mickey smart. Mickey wrote Fire on the Mountain. Does anyone know when that's coming? I'm in it for the live cuts.

Edit - Skulltrip, it's funny you mentioned Comes A Time. I was 5 minutes from work when it started, and I thought to myself, you better turn this off so you don't end up halfway through it I have to turn it off.

Also, whew, The Other One is one of the best I've heard post hiatus. Some songs benefit better than others from a loud Garcia, and I forgot about this one. The Wolf helped a lot in '78, but I've not heard anything that comes close to Dicks Picks 18 from Feb '78. Closing of Winterland also, mixed in with Dark Star.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Happy Happy toVguy! Hope it’s a Bobbie dazzler!

KEITHFAN; the to Terrapin Station release was supposed to be for seed money for the Terrapin Staion museum and community center the band was supposed to build as an interactive and community gathering facility as well as a legacy museum for all things Grateful Dead....a Rock and Roll hall of fame if you will for the band. Some early plans even called for a roller coaster....so Disney land for Dead heads!
One of the inclusions was supposed to be a performing venue that they and others could use. The thinking being that nobody knew then soon after JG passed wether they would tour or even have an audience anymore. So the though was sort of like what many artists do in Vegas now with residences etc. The coolest part I remember being discussed was a music kiosk type deal where you could purchase ANY live show as all would be digitized and ready for you to burn while at the venue and take with! If Only!!
Unfortunately they couldn’t figure out how to finance the thing as the cost was pretty steep......this was also when things were falling apart among the band members. You can read more about it in that Slevin book that came out a year or two ago....

ANOLOG; Uncle Sam you unequivocally state that Anolog is better. I disagree. The problem isn’t so black and white. It’s not so much that digital is bad, it’s how it’s done, especially regarding conversion. If proper steps are taken using good conversion etc, digital can be just as amazing.... I own, and have heard many digital systems that sound as well or better than many Analog systems....it’s all a matter of how it’s done. I’ve heard many systems of high end audiophile Reel, Vinyl, and digital that cost tens of thousands up to hundreds of thousands of dollars and they all sounded amazing! Just like I’ve also heard many expensive systems of the same formats that sound like crap.
In other words, it was how the system was done more than the format used that made the difference.
In the end, it’s all just a matter of preference and the only thing important is what you like and what makes you one with the music! I get your point but I disagree when folks categorically make such statements.
P.S. I also own a Table, but rarely use it....

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html