• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I love your high quality scans of the album cover art and that your able to share them with the group.
The scans are beautiful, if you haven't checked them out, do yourself a favor. They look great in iTunes.
Glad you finally got your DaP #30! what a long strange trip that delivery is.
You should post a link to your whole collection of: Dave's Picks 1-30 Cover Art
I was in there a couple of days ago updating some of the older volumes while I was waiting for vol. 30
It is a great resource.
thanks again!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I love this release - great pick Dave!!
So 26 years after Dicks Picks 1, 36 Dick's Picks and 29 Dave Picks, not counting Road Trips and the Download series, we get this Dark Star dropping out of orbit on us.....IMHO this is a top shelf DS. I love the spacey wind chimes and think TC adds a nice element. It shows there are still a lot of gems in the vault to mine. Jim - keep digging brother!

Just ran through Dicks' 4, always on my top shelf - a couple of things to note - as others have mentioned this DaP30 is really bright and punchy - more so I think than DP4, and both shows are from the Fillmore E just a month apart, both Bear recordings, probably the same equipment - I think both are Jeffrey Normanized. Curious. On top of the bright sound, the drummers stand up in the mix a little better me thinks - yes they did some serious cymballing - but I'm ok with that, I love the energy they bring.

We waited a long time for another Dark Star and this one is fantastic. And of course, the bonus disc is sweet and just not worth missing out on......SUBSCRIBE PEOPLE !

I'm right there with you man. Love the Dark Star and in fact the whole release.

As for the comparison from Dick's Picks 4 to Dave's Picks 30.. I'm right there with you as well. I believe Jeffrey Norman has just gotten better at his job and has more tricks up his sleeve.. But the recording aside, the performance sparkles too, both with creativity and execution.

Ok.. done talking about this release, back to your regularly scheduled drums and space.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

San jose is about to win their third series in a row as a direct result of a horrendous call by the referees. Inexcusable.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Clearly.. the ref was listening to the Dark Star from 5/14/74, Missoula during the game and lost focus of his faculties.

Speaking of anniversaries, 5/15/70 is up. Not the best show ever, but very well balanced and lots of stuff to focus on. All in all, one of the better releases in my opinion. This is the single show that made me reflect on just how good Mr. Norman had become at his job, spinning straw into gold. Sort of ties into the thread brought up a couple hours earlier.

Listen to that acoustic stuff from that night. Sonically, night and day better than the other acoustic 1970 stuff previously released excluding Bears Choice (which was remastered pretty close to the time it was recorded).

It would really be worth revisiting some of the older, classic releases and remastering.. thinking DiP1, DiP2, DiP3, FW69 (w. Plangent), E72 (Let Keith Play) and others. He really is that much better than 20 years ago and the stuff would sell 20k copies.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I used to root for the shards in the old days for various reasons, mostly cause they reminded me of Buffalo i.e., always the underdog, always “reach for the gold ring, it just slips away, but I try..” etc Not anymore!
This is getting as bad as football....the fugged up part is if the league is helping them along, I bet it’s to hand them to the ##=;$*@#$ Bs Like raw meat to a zoo tiger.. Uuuuuuggggg. Good thing I had smoking 5/2/70 playing to eliminate that noise......
Boooooooo!

user picture

Member for

6 years

Seems to me that the box set conundrum has turned into a personal wish list as apposed to actual ideas 🙄 . I know someone has mentioned the Winterland Oct 74 retirement shows as a thought on account of bolos wall coming down clue but how about the 3 shows at ally pally in London on the 9/10/11 of sept . I know dicks pick 7 picked out the highlights ( which were very well received ) but these would make a cracker of a mini box
We here in the uk get shafted with import tax so a small box would be easier on the pocket .
😸😸😸😸😸

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by perithecat

That's a great idea/suggestion. Someone on here kindly enabled me to listen to some of the music from this run earlier this year, that wasn't included in Dicks Picks 7. The Seastones-Space jam-Eyes of the World and subsequent jam from 9/11/74 ( that's 11/9/74 to you and me, Peri) is one of the best and most spacious jams I have ever heard-an incredible sequence of music by the Dead at their most adventurous.

I am also in agreement about a small box. It costs a small fortune in tax and import duties to buy ones like that 73/74 one from last year if you live in Britain, as Peri pointed out. Its a nice looking object, but at the end of the day its just gathering dust upstairs. In fact, if we do get another big box, and its from 1976 onwards, I think I would pass on it. I would be happy enough if this happened for the people who want it- but I think I would benefit more by saving money for some of the many other things I really want.

....well well well this falls directly into my wheelhouse.

- Seventy-Sixtus

P.S. I fell into 1985 again (this one's for you, Stoltzy & Oro & others....): https://archive.org/details/gd85-06-27.sbd.miller.27863.sbeok.flacf

Love the first set Crazy Fingers > Supplication jam and the second set is cool and varied. Stranger > Eyes, Anyone? Yes Please! And the transition is so smooth and natural I'm surprised they didn't do this more (or maybe they did and I'm just starting to uncover this now...)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Doing my best to keep up with the Europe 72 anniversary tour show. April is easy, in fact I was able to listen to most of the shows a few times each. May not so easy with all of the other anniversary shows, as well as the new Dave's pick. This show is almost perfect. If they had played a little bit longer and stretched it out to three disks it would be in my top seven. I don't think the distortion on Garcia's guitar is higher on any show of the tour than this. If you listen to one song today, throw on the opening chords to Bertha and Promised Land from the Luxembourg show. Wait that's two songs. Better put on the Big River as well, because Jerry's never played an intro like he does here. It's their Live At Leeds.

Just to illustrate my conundrum, I forgot all about the Fillmore East Road Trip show that Jim mentioned last night. I was a little busy with St Louis 77, and the first Estimated Eyes pairing. Thanks for the reminder Jim, I will at least get the Dark Star in today. That particular performance has one of the best lead melodies around the 10 to 15 minute mark. Reminds me of Beautiful Jam from Port Chester. This one is not to be missed. The tone on Garcia's guitar is otherworldly. You'll have to pick your face up off of the floor.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Here's the link BCBOOT mentioned to my scans of Dave's Picks 1-30 and the annual Bonuses:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl…

Most everybody's probably noticed – my Dave's 30 got here two days ago, but it still took me a while to see it: If you squint at Tyler Crook's artwork on Dave's 29 & 30, it'll shape-shift before your eyes. The puddle-reflected marquee on the cover of Dave's 30 transforms into a keyboard with the mirror-written 'Grateful Dead' as black keys and wolf paws pounding, Jerry Lee Lewis-style, from above/behind.

The "arrowhead" on the mountain behind the Swing on Dave's 29 morphs into the "nose" of a huge stealie skull with the 2 skeleton's heads for eye-sockets and the auditorium entrance as the teeth.

Now on to Kaptcha. . .

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Good call Keithfan on 5/16/72. I just listened to that Big River. How could I have overlooked that all these years? What other band could just offhandedly toss off a blistering performance like that on a soundcheck. Jesus. The instrumental sparks are just flying. Bobby is bloody brilliant. Holy crap. I'm going to be listening to this show today...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I hope they go back to doing a 3-show release similar to 73 and 77 winterland box sets. It's a bit easier on the wallet (presumably) and lends itself better to full repeat listens. God knows there are probably several individual shows from boxsets that I'm severely neglecting simply because there is only so much time....

wish list:
Tower Theater 1976 (3 shows)
Ventura County 1987 (3 shows)
Stanley Theater 1979 (2 shows)
MSG 1981 (2 shows)
Spectrum 1989 (3 shows)

any of these would make me happy...a man can dream

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Being another picky Deadhead (in keeping with the finest of traditions of our tribe) here is what I am into as of today:

I would dig the 81 NYE run as mentioned earlier (I am on a big 81 kick right now - you still with me Stoltzy?)
I think a likely candidate that I would also enjoy would be the 89 NYE run (multi-track: it's gotta happen someday)
"Replace Your Face: Winterland 74 Complete Recordings" is worthy (I am on the love side of the love it or hate it debate on the unique sonic qualities of these tapes)

While not a box candidate due to other released shows from the run, I have to admit that I really have not heard much of anything Dave has said since confirming that 7-18-76 exists in multi-track format. That needs to happen sooner than later - please Dave!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Aaaaaa, what a night that was! Even the rainstorm was awesome.
And what a party, we skipped Blossom to go a day early because it was so much fun in 84......though we missed the day ripper, I still think we made the right call.......it was that much fun!
And what a set list.
Thanks Sixtus.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

For what its worth, the PNW box announcement last year came sometime around June 8th. Maybe a day or two before. I'd love to see, in no particular order:

1. Winter/Fall '72
2. Alaska 1980
3. Ark Box 1969
4. Greek Theater May 1983 (cause I just listened to that run) - but it'd have to be Matrix'd cause the boards from this time period aren't doing it for me. I've been spoiled, I know.
5. Capital Theater 1971

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by 80sfan

I agree, this must be among the various formats Dave alluded to in his last seaside sketch. And didn't we all JUST have this conversation, a few pages back....twilight zone dooo do dooo doo dooo do dooo do....

I, for one, am looking forward to this new romp into media formats. Bring it on - XBOX on the 80 inch is fine by me. And it seems this will be free, I mean he didn't say anything about fees...but who knows. Looks like another official avenue to get some good ole GD both visually and sonically.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

After Black Peter, the band comments that the song is on two different albums...obviously one of those is Workingman's Dead...what's the 2nd one?

I love this release. Excellent playing, excellent recordings, excellent bonus material.
Very grateful!

user picture

Member for

8 years

...The Grateful Dead’s vault will open many new doors filled with preserved treasures for our viewing, hearing and experiencing pleasure will be made available!
Smile Smile Smile!!! 😊😊😊 I’m one grateful Deadhead. God bless my brothers & sisters!
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by mustin321

my guess is that someone in the crowd shouted a request for st stephen (I listened closely but could not actually hear it), so then jer says you can listen to that on two diff albums, and bob says two diff versions, it just doesn’t apply to black peter, workingmans dead hadnt even been released yet, and 1/2/70 is not in wrong sequence where you sometimes hear pre song banter/noodling before the wrong song, the only other possibility i can think of would be a dark star request (live dead and the single), but i kinda doubt they would have called attention to that single which was probably out of print at that time

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

im glad someone else thought the cover art looked like the wolf was playing piano, i thought maybe it was just me, also can someone tell me what the reference to "cosmic keithfan" within DaP 30 is that has been mentioned, i didnt see it anywhere on the package or in the notes or the bonus disc, and certainly didnt hear it in the recording, finally i am sorry they didn't include the zarathustra intro, i thought that was a great way to usher in the 70s when i heard it on an archive version of the early show years ago, i didnt know they also used it for the late show but thats what the liner notes say

Thanks for the link 80s Fan! This is so sweet. Dave indicated their past releases are just the tip of the iceberg. Holy crap am I excited. Now, since I grew up in the eighties, the next question will be how do we turn these new videos into hard copy DVDs??

When is that Box Announcement coming? Next week? Maybe the week of June 3!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

what will it beeeeeeeee?????????

eat some incredible edibles and enjooooooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy the ride.

I really really really enjoyed 7/7/89 last year.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

quivering with antici...

pation

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

America needs you
Harry Truman
Harry could you please come home
Things are looking bad
I know you would be mad
To see what kind of men
Prevail upon the land you love
America's wondering
How we got here
Harry all we get is lies
We're gettin' safer cars
Rocket ships to mars
From men who'd sell us out
To get themselves a piece of power
We'd love to hear you speak your mind
In plain and simple ways
Call a spade a spade
Like you did back in the day
You would play piano
Each morning walk a mile
Speak of what was going down
Each honesty and style
America's calling
Harry Truman
Harry you know what to do
The world is turnin' round and losin' lots of ground
Oh Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love
Oh woah woah woah
America's calling
Harry Truman
Harry you know what to do
The world is turnin' round
And losin' lots of ground
So Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love
Oh
Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love
Harry
Harry is there something we can do to save the land we love

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by leedesj

Here's my 2 cents. Keithfan, please correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am.
When you load a cd onto iTunes sometimes the info comes up and sometimes it doesn't. Either way, you can input whatever info you want to kinda personalize your iTunes library and how it reads. One of the first times that you input any info on there, if I remember correctly, iTunes will ask your permission to share said info with iTunes and thereby share it with anyone who is using iTunes. It helps iTunes and users to identify cd's that for whatever reason are not in their system yet.
I'm guessing that what we saw (me too...) was Keithfan's input info the way he loaded it onto his iTunes. At the time I think there were 2 choices to pick from.
I always pick the top/first choice which will open the cd info and then I fiddle-faddle with mine the way I want it to read/list.
Just a guess...Keithfan, is your name Charlie?
:O)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

.... the great unsung year to hold the attention of the pickiest of the picky.

12/3: all time great Baby Blue in my book; I think I will join you Slotzy!

First.. way to go 80's fan. All The Years Combine on YouTube. There have been videos marked "Official" for years now.. it started with some of the stuff Bill Graham Presents let loose, but there are others too.

The BGP stuff was neat, but I always thought some of them were not ready for prime time. There are some black and white videos too, mostly from the Capitol in NJ. ..and others.

But most interestingly.. I know they have struggled to find a niche with video, from email back and forth with Lemieux, I got the feeling it just didn't pay the bills and few actually bought them. So they are leaning on the YouTube model (wanna be a YouTube Millionaire?). Do they think they will get enough hits to make some advertising scratch? Perhaps, perhaps not.. still, extremely interesting.

Also.. did someone mention Saratoga 1985? One of my favorite tapes back in the day.. I must have gotten a big batch of boards really quick (Blossom, Riverbend, SPAC, and more). I freaking loved that show, start to finish, both sets. I always give summer and fall '85 my unconditional love.

Thanks to you all for making this place worth spending some afternoon minutes reading and catching up. Beats the news!

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

My bonus disc only gave me one option to import, and "Cosmic KeithFan" came along for the ride. Not complaining. I left it as is. Kind of a fun happy accident (or intended nod -- either way).

Also, thanks to Jeff for posting the cover art link. I needed a better scan of the bonus disc artwork.

Speaking of cover art -- I may be late to the picnic on this one, but I noticed that the Bulletin email comes with a download option in the lower right corner of the Dave's Picks cover (same for Dave's 29 as well). Another fun surprise, for me at least, as it saves me time hunting online for a quality image.

Anyway, Happy Friday Eve everyone.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The SPAC show on 6/27/85 was my third dead show. Maybe you saw me there, I was the skinny freak with an illegal smile. Good show, good memories, I'd love to see that as an official release.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Grateful Dead - Fillmore East 2/11/69
Grateful Dead - DaP16 3/28/73
Albert King - I'll Play the Blues For You
Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours
Butthole Surfers - Weird Revolution

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Especially 6-14-76,
which I happen to be listening to right now.
GEMS.82308 in fact.

Time for a Seventy-Soxtus-Box, of the June persuasion!

I agree with Mickey. "And killing the thing you love the most seems like a pretty stupid idea to me."

I never understood why/how conservation became a political hot potato. It's the right thing to do and very important.

....I like the idea of releasing venue runs in successions. Deadheads like numbers. Like the number 3. It's magical. I can only handle a TTATS every six years or so.
They played Santa Fe three times. Broken record Vguy is on the turntable.
Three day runs were just exactly perfect. How about an '89 Cal Expo box? Alaska '80 will work as well.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

3 to 5 show boxes are perfect.. Agree about Boxzilla.. listening to it in succession is akin to getting another college degree. Well worth the effort but at some point you get exhausted and finish running on fumes. I never thought they should have made a box set that big. Ginormous. Then again.. I was the first to call it Boxzilla.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....my favorite monster is gonna make another appearance at the end of the month. Rodan and King Ghidorah are on tap. Mothra as well. But he's a good guy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

If anybody has showtime check out this past weeks episode of Billions....the part about the “shit train”!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Like 89 spectrum, The Ark, how about the 3 carrier dome shows; 82, 83, and 84, or 90 Cal expo and/or shoreline, ok That’d be 5 sans the vault view release, or ??? Summer 85! Or what you guys said 😃

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html