• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Hey DaveRock, I just upgraded my stereo a couple of years ago and discovered a couple of things that may interest you. I was unaware that if I connect my cd player to my receiver via the digital optical cable, the DAC chip in my receiver is actually processing the digital information from the cd and converting it to an analog signal to the speakers, the cd player is essentially just spinning the disc and streaming the information to my receiver for conversion. So you may want to compare the DAC in your receiver and compare to the DAC in the cd players, and if the one in your receiver is good enough there may not be an advantage to a more expensive cd player. I put the bulk of my stereo budget into speakers and the receiver and didn't upgrade the cd player which wasn't really that old. If you already knew all this, sorry, you're not getting that minute of your life back. If not, hope it helps.
Edit: If that's not clear, what I'm attempting to convey is that if you use a digital connection from cd player to receiver the receiver's DAC is doing the work and is responsible for the sound.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Don't forget one of the best screams of all time-- Victim of changes on Sad wings of destiny. Oh yea!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....Sea Of Madness. If you need to look that up, I'm so sorry.
Geoff Tate from Queensryche can belt it too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Carlo and VGuy, have to admit that I had never heard either of those songs till tonight when I checked them out on youtube after reading your posts. Outside of my usual comfort zone, but I can see it fitting certain moods. The more you know...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Thanks for that information, Charlie. I am not very knowledgeable concerning electronics unfortunately. My cd player, like my blu ray player, will be connected to the amplifier, which is about 8 years old. I am supposed to be going to a shop on Friday to listen to some cd players. I think I will phone before I go, and discuss what you have pointed out. Many thanks.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Onkyo 6-CD changer paired with an Onkyo receiver works quite nice.
I also have an Onkyo subwoofer and Bose 301 speakers.
The system works well to vibrate the walls of my house.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I ended up doing a bunch of research on various components prior to upgrading my stereo and took a little time to try to understand the whole digital-analog conversion process as it was all completely beyond my understanding at the time. That's when I discovered that if you use an analog connection you are using the DAC in your cd player, and if you use digital connections the DAC in your receiver does the conversion. When I did some rudimentary internet searches I found a large amount of information on these topics, with some good explanations of the various issues involved. The SteveHoffman site has a few illuminating discussions on this issue as I recall.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Roger Daltery - Won't Get Fooled Again

The scream that taught the others how to scream?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Daverock; Charlie is right on again! The problem with digital isn’t necessarily digital, it’s the conversion and the hardware involved. The original hardware was not intentended for music (long, interesting story about the history of digital filters etc. check out Schitts website) but they have made great steps in Digital to Anolog Conversion, or DACs....
You can get a decent DAC now for very little money that can really make a difference, especially if your using a computer or laptop......the DAC chips in those things are cheap garbage that should never be used to listen to good music.....for as little as $50 you can get a audioquest USB DAC that you can use with your phone, computer, or via a digital connection from your player like Charlie says. I think Schitt makes great, reasonably priced products that don’t have all the bells and whistles, i.e., DSD, but work/sound amazing!
SANS DAC; like Charlie mentioned, unless you have a really good multiplayer like an oppo or the new UHD Panasonic’s that basically replaced the oppo’s, chances are your receiver has a better DAC set in it than your average, or especially a cheap player.
Look up your receiver or pre-amp on line and look at the input section.....there should be an optical, digital coax, or perhaps an HDMI input (HDMI is all over the place though for music)....connect your player via the digital connection as Charlie mentions....
If your receiver doesn’t have a digital connection, it might make sense to get a less expensive player and invest in a separate DAC.....as I say, it’s all about the conversion. This why so many people hate “digital” but it’s not necessarily the digital, it’s the conversion! Good Luck!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I'm partial to Ian Gillan, myself. Many standouts on various Deep Purple records not to mention his lone Black Sabbath album, Born Again - but Highway Star has to be the all-time.

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Without wishing to speak for others, as far as I am aware both receivers and multi-disc players are very much American market stalwarts. I have never known anyone on this side of the pond who possesses either. Amplifiers rather than receivers and single-disc players are the norm here. Maybe other Europeople know differently. Interesting to hear other's views.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ha, ha
Had to say it.

I do use fiber optic to connect my CD player to my amplituner (I think thats what it actually says on the box - combo amplifier/tuner).

user picture

Member for

8 years

...the 2 CD ‘Warfield 1980’ 2019 RSD Release of only 6000 copies available have been sold out on the Grateful Dead’s store on, Dead.net folks...

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

The recent conversation about components has motivated me to ask a question I have been contemplating for quite some time.

For those of you who have individual components (an amp, pre-amp, etc.) as opposed to a traditional receiver that combines everything, is there really that big of a sound difference? I have been purchasing receivers for years for no other reason than I am lazy. Yamaha is the current brand of choice. But the more I read, the more I am considering individual components. Any feedback would be appreciated. For what it is worth, I went out and purchased an HDCD player and I'll be damned if I can tell the difference.

DaP30 - have not listed to it entirely as I have been too invested in hockey. With a few exceptions (like the Dark Star jam), the playing seems measured and deliberate. Not as raucous as the prior years and not as exploratory and the ensuing years.

Thank you in advance.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Anyone have any idea or thoughts how many might have been left over for sale here? Just curious, glad i was able to get one here. bob t

user picture

Member for

12 years

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Hi, I switched away from receivers/amps/etc. to using powered monitors with a separate subwoofer and bluetooth connectivity. At home I'm using Klipsch RPM41s with a ten inch powered Klipsch subwoofer. They sound excellent, take up very little space and I'm happy to run everything from a kindle tablet, although they also have a phono line in/optical in/other options. I don't need tons of power and am very happy with them. It's a third option to consider.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Many thanks for all the feedback on components. I feel tempted to phone the shop I am going to up later in the week, to quote some of what has been written on here, and see how he responds. Although he may well be prejudiced in what he says towards recommending what he has in stock.

I felt reassured to read Simon's post. That reflects my experience, too. A single disc player, an amplifier, a turntable and a bluray/dvd player sitting under my television is what I have. But I will ask about the DACs and receivers etc and see what response I get. Cheers!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Might I recommend the Wall Of Sound upgrade package.

Anything less isn't worthy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Get as much info before hand so you don’t get sold more than you need.
An AV receiver is an amplifier that can pick up radio signals.
I buy receivers, but haven’t actually tuned one to a radio station since the 90’s. So, I guess I should just buy an amplifier next time.
The main thing, for me at least, is that it has optical input. My Onkyo has 2 optical ports, one is connected to the CD player, the other to an iBasso DX80 digital music player.
I read a while ago that optical ports were being phased out in favor of HDMI which, the article claimed, can carry an equal quality signal as optical. I don’t know if that is true.

I did a receiver vs amplifier search to help you out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=receiver+vs+amplifier&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8…

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

So finished this latest relisten, and since I listened all the way through from Bertha (across several commutes) to Staurday Night. I have to say this is a great show. Very well played, excellent sound, one of the better Wall of Sound tapes. Makes me want to dig into the PacNW shows next to compare the Plangent Norman to "just Norman". But they are ripping on this show, and the songs have a nice flow. They're probably energized to finally play with the Wall in a more stable environment and without hundreds of blown speakers as opposed to the Reno show with the wind blowing the Wall, particularly the column of tweeters above Bill the Drummer and the debut of the Wall at the Cow Palace where they blew the speakers with the first notes. But here, they're indoors and they have a clearly receptive audience. A shame they never gave Montanans another show... Anyway, love the Loser, Black-Throated Wind, and 2nd Scarlet, especially Jerry apparently digging the Wall's possibilities with those single chord hits early in Scarlet, which would sound more reggaeish if he had a delay, but it still sounds cool. Donna gets a little too into the wailing, but a nice jam and segue into a mighty fine It Must Have Been the Roses. Everything else pretty good up until that Playing. It does go deep, even though it's not the longest out there, at almost 21 minutes, but a deep, jazzy jam. They miss the re-entry to the Reprise, and then Donna wails early, so she does it again when they do go to that turnaround, and they again miss the landing, but when they're done singing they blaze into the finale with a little more vigor than usual to make up for the screwups. I can certainly forgive them with that coda!

Dave was really big on this Row Jimmy; me not as much, just seemed pretty average. But the Weather Report Suite> Dark Star> China Doll is the real topic. WRS is beautiful and fantastic as always, the dissolving segue into Dark Star is quite magnificent, and the Dark Star starts off pretty and melodic, then goes a little jazzy, which is very nice. Some nice distinct parts up to the fairly early first verse which hits about 13 min in, following that lone verse they descend slowly into a huge dissonance/feedback jam that is one of the darkest I know, it doesn't let up until past the 20 min mark, where they resume the jazz odyssey for a few minutes before chaos reigns again for a few moments before they crash beautifully into China Doll, similar to how Dark Star had risen from the ashes of WRS almost a half hour before. NFA> GDTRFB is great. High energy Saturday Night to close it down. Wasn't bothered by the darkness of the Dark Star this time, but I don't recommend ever trying to go to bed to that one. This would probably be right around top 10 for me now. I'm glad I pulled it out to test my ears against y'all's ears.

Wish I could add to the cd player convo, have Denon 5 disc changer one of my best friends gave me and Kenwood amp (he had it hooked to his McIntosh 240 tube amp, he ain't parting with that and I couldn't afford it if he was). Have it hooked up to 2 Pioneer 12s, I have Fisher 15s in the garage I want to swap for, but the house shakes enough. In my music room, I have decent computer speakers, but 2 KRK Rokit powered monitors if I really want to test something digital. Turntable is in the living room going into the Kenwood.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Funny how the conversation segued from WOS Speaker Upgrade to one of the more bombastic (and great) WOS Dave's Picks. The last time I listened to this show I retreated to a small encrusted stance beneath by bed during Dark Star and remained there until the music stopped curled up in the fetal position. Scary Dark Star.. PTSD Scary Dark Star.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

My setup for serious listening includes a high-powered Class A amp and modified tower speakers from the mid-70s, plus modern day headphones and HDCD player.

I would have compared my gear to the home version of the Wall of Sound, but I recently turned it up to "11" and the wall caved in.

C'est la vie.

.... would like to have a word with you.
A wonderful pick in Boxilla. Montana takes second place in regards to jump scare DS's. It's in my marriage license that I never play either one within earshot of the Mrs.
There was a romping Shakedown at the Greek this date in '83. Listened to the show at work today. Nice Brother Esau too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Why should I care, why should I care?
Girls of fifteen
sexually knowing
the ushers are sniffing
eau-de-cologning
the seats are seductive
celibate sitting
pretty girls digging
prettier women...

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

It just seems odd.. that we have one reel from 2/27/77 (and what a reel that was, great Dew).

It just seems odd that 8/25/72, Dave's Picks 24, was the one show from the infamous '72 BCT run where the complete soundboards never circulated and this is the show that gets released first and soundboards from the other three shows did circulate, yet Lemieux contends they cannot release the entire run because not all the soundboards are in the vault.

It just seems odd.

I think we need to form a new corporation, call it ABCDE Corporation to find, secure and release the boards that exist and still seem to be missing.

I suspect they recorded more of 2/27 than "the last reel" yet the previous reels do not exist? The liner notes state this is reel 5 of 5.. so the other 4 were surely recorded. Yet, they released just the last reel as an admission of defeat that the other four would one day turn up and make this a complete show release. Why would they just give up? Where are the missing reels?

The only conclusion I can make is that they are still aware of other reels that either exist or less likely used to exist. Either way, it seems they are not confident they will ever take ownership. ...or some of them have degraded beyond what can be restored?

Food for thought.. There is something awry here and it just doesn't make sense.

Methinks.. there is a cache of reels still worth tracking down and absconding with, by hook or by crook.. before it's too late.

My last random thought of the day.. I bid you all a goodnight.

....the last decent Motley Crue record. Wait. Did Dr. Feelgood come after?
Love the pretty ladies. Luckily for me, I married the prettiest one. One can look at the menu, but thou shalt not eat of it.
And that's where Phish phales. It's usually a testosterone fest.
Go to Vegas. Watch the lines going into some of the nightclubs. Day'um!

user picture

Member for

8 years

...the featuring songs performed by the Grateful Dead at Woodstock are in this boxset in this order on the CD Tracking...
8-Mama Tried (2019 Mix) - By Grateful Dead
9 -"It's a Sinister Plot" (2019 Mix) - By Ken Babbs, Country Joe McDonald, Et Al
10 -Dark Star (2019 Mix) - By Grateful Dead
11 -High Time (2019 Mix) - By Grateful Dead
...an all New Mix of the recordings are a highlight for the boxset... Rock on brothers and sisters ! I broke out 3/28/90 for a late morning start! Great show! It doesn’t feel like a nice spring by me yet, still a little chill in the air from all the rain we had for the last two weeks. The sun is shining today tho’!🙏❤️😎

DaP 30 - Disc three. I keep going back to this...so good
Pure Jerry 1 - July 77
Garcia Live 8 - 1990 or 1991...can't remember off the top of my head. Ain't No Bread in the Breadbox is so so good
DaP 30 Bonus disc
Pure Jerry 7 (1991)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

Here in Thneedsville.. it's a new release we thneed.

(apologies to those that might not have received theirs yet.. hopefully that issue is behind us now).

Happy hump day.. we're on the downward slide to the weekend.

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by loudmouth

I was also going to mention ‘wall caved in’.

Additionally,
‘11’, The Eleven
‘Wall of Sound’
‘70’s’

I think that we can find links to anything Bolo posts, even when they are not intended to be clues. But that’s part of the fun.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...is it just me or does this show sounds more like the bands performances from back home on the west coast than there style of playing usually on the east coast like in New York. New York crowd vs San Fran attendees were like night & day at this time in history.
The photos prove that lol ... almost like the ‘Thelma’ in LA pick/release...either way I’m in love with this latest pick from the vault, keep em’ coming! 🙏❤️😎...have a grateful day everyone!
Nothen left to do but Smile Smile Smile...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

I'd get a copy of this too, should it come out. But taking into account last years box, with those three 74 shows, I wouldn't have thought it was too likely a choice for this year. Maybe next year, though.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Sorry it took awhile for my Dave’s to get here***. Here are fresh-squeezed, high-res, color-corrected scans of Dave’ 30 and the 2019 Bonus CD for anybody that's interested. Be sure to share.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5jebsau6n1xt883/AACOQ7qtAN691E3VC4Qv7lDRa?dl…

*** The Long Strange Trip: Even tho UPS officially declared this package “lost” at some point after it boomeranged up to Harrisburg, PA, somehow a new label with a new tracking number resurrected the shipment and it was delivered yesterday. You might be interested to know the official route my Dave’s 30 took (per UPS tracking) was:
Franklin, IN > Urbancrest, OH > Carrollton, TX > Midland, TX > North Houston, TX > Dallas, TX > Lubbock, TX > Harrisburg, PA > Jersey City, NJ > Dallas, TX > Midland, TX > Fort Davis, TX.

Based on driving distances between cities as calculated with Googlemaps, the total distance traveled was about 6,612 miles, more than twice the 3,214 miles from Bangor, ME to San Diego, CA. By logging 6,612 miles in 14 days, I suspect my Dave’s 30 #14,436 set a New World Distance Record for official Grateful Dead releases shipped within the lower 48 . . . Still, well worth the wait, and the music smokes! A big thank you to MaryE for therapy along the way.

Onward!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Anticipation its making me wait.

I think maybe were getting 2 smaller boxes this year. One from '69 and one from '89. Hope it's The Ark and The Spectrum.

I heard from a reliable source that because of a snafu in the warehouse move, MaryE delivered all of these by bicycle herself. The music is good enough to overcome travel delays.

Your tale made me chuckle.. reminds of the stolen lawn gnome that someone took on an around the world vacation with them and sent the owners pictures of the gnome wherever they went, then returned it w/ ports of entry stamps all over it documenting its travels. Surely it was 'borrowed' by a deadhead on tour.

As much as I love 1974.. I am not feeling it for this box. I guess those of us that were not able to decipher the easy bolo clues will have to wait. I am thinking an announcement soon, Friday or Monday perhaps? I am still thinking 50th anniv. for 1969, but I would be ecstatic for something returned where the quality blows the socks off of what currently circulates..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Right on brother! I like the way your thinking. I don’t think I could pick two “just exactly perfect” better choices for both years/anniversaries, of course I’m extremely biased about the spectrum shows😃... The only other choice that would trump those, and only for totally personal reasons, would be Summer 85. Unfortunately, we all know that ain’t happening any time soon...

Thanks Jeff!
Also, couldn’t help but chuckle at your tale. Glad it worked out. Ridicules but totally believable story in this day and age.

JIM; holy shit! I thought that was Saint Mary on a road bike going over vail pass the other day.
She had good form and was making great time even with that large rucksack!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html