• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Those scans look great!

#18946/20000 made it here yesterday... Whew! Looks like I just made the cut!

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

DP 30 #3877 landed in D-Ville Georgia late this afternoon, had been watching the mailbox from my window for hours. Got my yard work done and am now enjoying a cold beverage and That’s It For The Other One is sounding stellar. Every year I think I won’t subscribe and then the bonus disc shows up in all its glory and I know I will belly up and do it again. Enjoy this one everybody!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

DP30 #3877 landed in D-Ville, Georgia late this afternoon, I’d been eyeing my mailbox for what seemed like days. Got all my lawn work done and am now enjoying a cold beveridge and That’s It For The Other One is sounding stellar. Every year I think I won’t subscribe and then the bonus disc shows up on all its glory and I know I will. The cover is wicked cool. Enjoy this one everyone.

....no bills. Yay! No Fillmore. Boo! Evens out. I have Monday and Tuesday off because I needed a break from work. All good things in all good time.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Theres a package in there
The exact same size as a daves pick
same weight
Unusual address, but hey they are changing warehouses

Its not daves picks
Some bs electronic clock as advertising ploy

Duhphuq bro

Waiting at great clips for freakin haircut

"Whoop there it is" plays for about 12 minues

Aaaaagh

Other lame-o pop

Why cant they ever play Motorhead?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thank you VGUY72 ... the Archives I saw didn't have the same details. Greatly appreciated

...my man, I love the ‘Three Blind Boys From Alabama’ , what an amazing group of gentlemen in this band of the years gone by. I have quit a few LPs and CDs made available to get your hands on. I had the privilege to attend a few of the bands past performances. This was around the same time Paul Simons release his ‘Graceland’ LP which is a primo record! Big fan of Paul’s work over the years but I fell in love with his Graceland album. I even saw the group performe minus Paul in Newark nj over 12-14 years ago if I’m remembering correctly. Beautiful music and song from this pecticular group of performers. 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hey now Blue Crow,

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your recent Dead Concert story. I never got to see Jerry...too young or more Likely naive at his end .....and had no idea what was going on at that time. Wish I would have had the chance...anyways peace dude and rock On....more stories if you have them please?!?’ Same to the rest of you who have stories...bring em on!!!

I finally got my copy of Daves plus bonus disc earlier today. I haven’t listened to all of it, but I can already say that this one ranks as one of the best in the series so far. The recording sounds slightly upgraded and more crisp and as others have said the banter is warm and present which makes it feel that the boys are in your living room revving up Jim’s lawn contraption for interstellar galactic travel...or possibly a carpet ride!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

No Dave's Picks yet, although it looks as though there have been a few sightings in Britain over the last day or so.

Not really the time or place, but I did see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets last Friday. Amazing set list, covering the albums from Piper at the Gates of Dawn to Meddle, with a generous helping of music from the Syd Barret era. Set The Controls for The Heart of The Sun was one of many highlights-and it occurred to me that that track may be the bands equivalent of Dark Star. Its starts out with a simple riff, features lyrics that point star wards, followed by a free space in the middle and then back home again. Sadly it was dropped by the Floyd when they went big time-but its all there in those 1967-1972 versions, and now in this Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets version. But every song and instrumental they played was stellar.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Woah! What a beautiful journey I took via headphones and excellent sound into the mind expanding music of the Dead at Fillmore East 1.2.70!! There are so many highlights. I will not bore you with my geeked opinion of this show and how it sounds. I really just write this morning to express my awe and gratititude for the music of the Dead and the team behind making these shows available to us in the 21st century. I am grateful. Thank you Jerry and the boys for providing a truly incredible soundtrack to my journey... peace and love brothers and sisters! Enjoy the day and let there be songs to fill the air.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

FYI - This is the order I went with for the bonus material (1/3/70),,,, opinions or objections.

Vol 30 - Bonus Disc - 1970-01-03 - Fillmore East - NYC, NY

01 - Morning Dew
02 - Cold Rain and Snow
03 - Alligator ->
04 - Drums ->
05 - Alligator ->
06 - Feedback
07 - Casey Jones
08 - Big Boss Man
09 - Mason's Children
10 - That's It for the Other One
11 - Cosmic Charlie
12 - Uncle John's Band
13 - Dancing in the Street
14 - St. Stephen ->
15 - In the Midnight Hour

edit - is UJB early or late show? I got it down as late

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Thanks Dave and crew for getting it to us.

Made it once through the CDs yesterday, then reordered the 1/3 tracks and put copies on my music player.
Just started my second pass through 1/3.
I reordered 1/3 based on what is in Dead Base 50 (note that Dead Base IX has 1/2 early and late shows reversed).
UJB goes after Feedback as it is the encore for the early show. It does not go into another song, unlike the UJB>Black Peter in the late show (unless it was modified to sound like it doesn’t go into Black Peter)

1/3 Early
Morning Dew
Cold Rain
Alligator>Drums>Alligator>
Feedback
UJB

1/3 late
Casey
Big Boss
Masons
That’s It>
Cosmic
Dancin
St Stephen>
Midnight

There’s a lot of riffs of other songs buried in Alligator.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

well I slipped away from the salt mine to grab a bit of breakfast and put in the bonus disc for the drive...me oh my, Alligator alone is worth the price of admission folks...when they come back to it for the post drum jam and then tease the China Cat intro and then work their way into the GDTRFB Coda I just about had a stroke from yelling out...what a great great bit...and I guess I'll have to take the long way home so i can finish it...it's only a 13 minute drive to home...

Thanks. Upon closer inspection I believe you are correct and have modified my order.

Upon quick inspection found my copy of 1/2 to be damn near as good as "official", but 1/3 stuff sound much nicer than what I have in stock.

....last night's set list.
Set One: Big Railroad Blues, I Ain’t Superstitious, The Same Thing, Tennessee Jed, New Speedway Boogie, People Get Ready, Way Down In The Hole, Nobody’s Fault but Mine, Pray For Peace, Sugaree

Set Two: I’m A King Bee, Deep Elem Blues, You Don’t Love Me, Mystery Train, Little Red Rooster, Amazing Grace, Higher Ground, Death Don’t Have No Mercy, Wang Dang Doodle, Deal, Friend of the Devil, Down by The Riverside

Encore: Going Down the Road Feelin’ Bad
.... definitely worth fifty bucks ✌️. High lights? Wang Dang. King Bee. Way Down In The Hole.
Low lights? Beers were $15. Shame....
https://www.jambase.com/article/phil-lesh-friends-blind-boys-of-alabama…

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Jealous, thanks for the trip report. Always a big Phil fan and appreciate Jackie Greene's take on all things Grateful Dead.

Keep up the good work, Senator.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I hope the glasses were huge.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

....but still. Goose Island IPA. Some peeps paid that much for Coors Light. Do your homework. Beer math.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

At the time of my first show, it was $2 a hit.

Oh, and happy Cinco de Mayo everyone. In the spirit of Europe 72, I recommend 72 Par Elegance Extra Anejo. Yummy. :D

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Loser... one of my absolute Dead faves and quite possibly the best song on gambling ever. Kenny Rogers, eat your heart out.

I walked out of the Golden Nugget with an easy $500 and a grand, courtesy the Excalibur, off Wheel Of Fortune slots. Fortunate, indeed. As far as table games I have found the Fremont to be most favorable. I taught my wife to throw craps there and she threw 20 times in a row, exactly, before busting. That paid for the weekend and then some.

But, as Kenny says, you got to know when to hold them and when to fold them. Take the easy money and run, and as soon as it goes cold, stop immediately. Difficult for some.

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

DaP 30 landed in my mailbox Saturday, and I've listened to the first three discs once each so far, with the bonus yet to come.

My reaction is somewhat mixed. I had pretty high expectations given Dicks Picks 4 and 8 and road trips 5-15-70, all of which are excellent. I had somewhat of a hesitation because this one is closer in timeframe to DaP 19, which is more of a mixed bag of good and average. Warranted, as it turns out, at least on first listen.

Disc 3 is excellent, as others have said. I think the DS>SS>Eleven>LL is the greatest string of tunes in rock music, in my opinion. It's different every time, and they'd had several years to perfect it by 1970. Can you imagine anyone else even attempting such a thing, other than some of the jam bands that followed (though I don't put them in the same league)? Maybe the Allman Bros. or Yes could pull off such a long jam string, but I doubt they'd make it so different every time.

Now on to disc one and two. Ok, many of the tunes were new, and were still being worked out. Still, there is a sloppiness to several of them. Phil's harmony vocals are too high in the mix on some, and that nearly makes my ears bleed at times. Not just out of tune, but something about his voice just wasn't meant to sing except very subtly in the background. TC is great on the Dark Star psychedelic sequences, but I can see how he didn't fit into the short tune based direction that they were heading with Workingman's and American Beauty. Finally, throwing in a few of my least favorite early tunes like Mason's Children and High Times (where Bobby seems to stretch beyond his capabilities on the harmony vocals) brought it in at a bit less than I'd hoped as well.

Other than the Dead, I mostly listen to jazz, classical, and bluegrass/folk/americana. So most of that other stuff is usually tight, on-key, played by virtuosos, and in tune. I look past the Dead's sloppiness and off-key moments because so much of the rest can be transcendent like nothing else. But sometimes, you just have to take the average with the extraordinary on a Dave's Pick.

Usually I hear more nuances and change my opinions on subsequent listenings, so I think disc 1 and 2 may grow on me more in time. Overall I'm happy with it, and time will tell on my longer range opinion.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

For some reason I just love how the first disk starts at the very beginning of the master reel, it just shows every inch counts in these Dap's...... and in other things as well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....best odds in the house. Bar none. But you gotta bet smart. Six and eight all night long. Hard ways is how they keep the lights on.
When a player gets on a roll, it's amazing. Gotta strike when the irons hot. You can make some cheddar if you pay attention.
Passed some tables last night, but I didn't feel it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....I would cut and paste it, but why should it do all work? Get some. Still in bluuuuses mode here.
....I'm I bit jealous that I wasn't able to cut a rug at a juke joint. It's all about sliding your feet. Move on from there. It comes naturally....

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

I must've got a very special edition of the bonus disc. When I popped it into Media Player, track 9 came up as "Cosmic Keithfan." According to Deadbase this was the only time they ever played Cosmic Keithfan. :)

Do we know if the UJB is from the early or late show? This matters for those of us who like to splice these tracks together with the rest of the show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frosted

I am still waiting for Dave's Picks-at that familiar stage of reading reviews without having heard the music. I must say, though, that Frosted's review chimes with my own experience of listening to live shows from mid 1969 and throughout 1970. Stellar jams on Dark Star-St Stephen-The Eleven-also on The Other One, Dancing in the Street, Viola Lee Blues-maybe others. But somewhat awkward renditions of shorter songs. This is what I am expecting to be the case with this here release, too. Which is okay by me. I have just been listening to the first set of 5/9/77-which may be the same situation as described above, regrading short songs and jams, but in reverse.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

With the exception of 1972 and 1977, I think there was always an aspect of hit or miss when listening to or seeing the GD. I enjoyed reading someone's post here recently (I forget who it was) where they said something to the effect that the 1977 charm had worn off.. they were too perfect that year and there weren't enough surprises. A funny comment there is some truth in it.

It's a dual edged sword really.. you never knew what you were going to get. 1970 is certainly one of my favorite years, but there was this big learning curve as they brought on not only a lot of new material, but an entirely different approach to songwriting than we saw in Aoxomoxoa and Anthem. ..and yes, Phil's harmonies sometimes sound more like an Amber Alert for abducted ducks then singing, especially in the early and later years. ..but I forgive him.

1973 was the same way as they brought on all this new material. Wave That Flag must certainly have been about the white flag of surrender. ..but as they began to fold all this new material into the mix it usually got better and better.. so songs that didn't congeal were set aside and the ones that fit grew and strengthened.

I guess I have a lot of patience in these periods because usually.. if you had a little faith, the stuff that didn't work began to click a few months later and the songs that never really worked faded into history.

Except for the first three or four shows I saw where it was so new to me and I didn't really get it.. at the beginning of each show I had an unsettling feeling in my stomach. It was the feeling of what are they going to play, are they going to be good, are they going to blow it.. are they going to play St. Stephen, Morning Dew, No.. not Day Job! It was the feeling of GD anxiety, I bet they felt it too.

I guess that's one of the hidden charms.. you just never knew exactly what you were going to get. I get the feeling they didn't know either. When they delivered, you left with feeling fortunate, perhaps lucky. 1970? Yes please.. I wish they would have recorded more shows that year.

I should get mine today.. can't wait.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

while I wait for DaP30...

listened to 3/5/72 (most of what exists) yesterday. my sense is that a reel is missing.

first disc is like a rehearsal. straight up songs.

disc 2 starts with a liquidy, in-the-zone Good Lovin'.

NFA > GDTRFB...exited car.

The rest today.

Good Lovin' is worth a listen.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by KeithFan2112

The new Dave's should be waiting for me when I get home.

In the meantime I've been listening to Pure Jerry 1 (July 77 I think) all morning as a way to ease my way into the work week. A 30 min Don't Let Go to start the day puts me in exactly the mood I want to be in today....

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

The liner notes for this DaP30 says it is one of Bear's Sonic Journals. I thought all of Bear's known tapes were in the Grateful Dead vault and owned by the Dead. Is this correct? Or is there a whole cache of unknown GD recordings owned by Bear's family (Owsley Foundation) that GD have to negotiate in order to get released (ie: DaP30)?

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

...a grateful Monday to all! Daverock no joke, I was playing 5/9/77 from the Grateful Dead boxset Release ! Wow, when you wrote that my hair raised with cosmic activity & connect, hot damn that was so cool! Deffently put a smile on this deadheads face. Thank you brother for all your imput, I dig it! 🙏❤️😎 rock on my brothers & sisters! ✌️🤠
PS. 1/2/70 - ‘Monkey and the Engineer’ performance was a grateful highlight delight from Weir. I wish Tom C. would have performed/played along with Bill & Mickey on this song, it would of been extra primo! 😉

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I liked your summary of the band live. It made me think of the fact that they were growing and changing on stage, for all to see and hear. This wasn't a presentation of performance that was tried and tested and guaranteed to work every time. Late 1969-1970 was very transitional as they moved from the acid jams to the songs, while retaining large elements of the former. But it stands to reason that the newer approach, the songs, would be more hit and miss than the acid jams, which had been played for a year or two already. Certainly by 1971 they had the short songs approach down pat. And then they changed again.

I seem to like 1977 this year-but I also feel that sometimes its all just too smooth and...perfect. Coincidence that you also played 5/9/77 this morning Lovemygirl! Its a small world.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I see I'm not the only one to get that on the id3 tags. Represent, Keith.

Only just received and ripped, haven't listened yet. Anything with a Monkey & The Engineer is OK with me. Did 90 miles an hour down the mainline run.

Anyone pre-order the Rolling Thunder box?

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

no email. no tracking number.

customer service is useless.

-----

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by muleskinner_blues

thanks for the heads up, just preordered my copy. I thought good deal, 14 disc for 75 bucks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hello everyone... any recommendations for awesome Smokestack Lightnings sung by Pigpen... I know 2/13/70 seems to be the consensus as one of the best. I like the one from the Felt Forum from 12/7/71 and 2/19/71 at the Capitol Theatre.... Thanks for any advice... Bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

Anybody else hear melody run a lot like Sugar Magnolia around 22:30 in the Bonus Disc Dark Star jam? First Sm is 6 months later.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html