• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • grass-shack-nailed

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

• docmarty
    Default Avatar

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
    I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
    pm me if interested

• samspade
    Default Avatar

I live in Sweden, in Stockholm. I had problems with Dave´s Picks Vol. 31, as many others, but it worked out well in the end. It took a long time to get vol. 32 - and I had to write once to the Dead - but now I received it today. I received Vol. 33 a week ago so hopefully this will work out fine in the future. By the way - Vol. 32 is terrific! A fine show from my favorite year.

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

I feel your pain. Me too. Still no Vol 32 and tracking showed the one they sent in the FAll went to multiple locations until it wound up somewhere in Indiana. I live in Ohio.

• nappyrags

Silly me...here I was all excited about finding a used copy of Dickus Pickus # 11 after hiding it for a week in the soft rock section of a used bookstore, when lo and behold I found a copy I had no memory of getting in a box of stuff I was sorting through over the weekend...sent if off to a friend who is unwise in the way of dead.net so it will be enjoyed but still...guess I gotta come up with some sorta spread sheet in my phone to avoid situations like this...silly me

• factorz
    Default Avatar

2/4 and still no copy of 32. Received Vol 33 which is great, but still nothing on this one. Original copy was sent to the wrong person (hope he is enjoying it), but where is my copy?? Paid in full but nothing to show for it. HELP ME!

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

How can this persist so long? Just meaningless email responses. Ship Vol 32! I have to believe if there was a warehouse problem then someone must be holding on to the CDs to get a bill paid. We're caught in the middle. Or what? At least give us an explanation. How can Dave not be getting to the bottom of this and fixing this mess by now? It's his namesake, so he should care.

• Scott-O
    Default Avatar

Got same message --- and my 33 came today. Not a happy camper.

• nappyrags

Bob is the best fake Bob out there...haaaa!!!

• LedDed

Someone here called Mayer "the best of the fake Jerrys." Well, he most certainly is. Slow tempos or not, that's a great band with the best live sound I've ever heard in a larger outdoor venue. So ticket prices are high, yes - they've got to pay themselves but they've also got to pay Mayer.

On official D&C recordings, it says "John Mayer appears courtesy of Columbia Records." Columbia is undoubtedly getting a little something off the top for their "courtesy."

I won't dig it up now, but you could find it - John Mayer earns substantially more per show as a solo artist than he does with Dead & Co. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between audiences - I really can't stand most of his solo work, but love him in D&C.

I would really like John to be in the band for the duration, at least for as long as all the current members remain playing together. That has to be less than ten more years and it could, in fact, end any time.

So I'll pay whatever to see what is without a doubt the last best live version of the Grateful Dead, along with the best of the fake Jerrys for as long as I possibly can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I have an odd little thing going on

I have one GD CD in the player for morning shower ritual (currently 6/17/94)
one GD CD in the player in the car for driving around (currently 8/16/91)
archive on the cell for walking around (currently 1/18/79; yesterday was 1/15/79)

interesting teleportation effect as I have multiple shows going on here, there, and everywhere

oh, no...CAPTCHA awaits below

if only it were pictures of nubile Amish maidens bathing outdoors in the sunshine in warm, sudsy water...but I bet it will be crosswalks. Let's see...

Oh. it's boats.

Unschwing.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I've always rather liked the little I know about Amish communities. Maybe the mainstream could do with taking note of how they do things.

No Daves Picks yet...but I notice an increasing number of Europeans have received theirs...so come tomorrow, there's me, sitting in the lotus position by my letter box, with hands cupped in anticipation of blessing.

The conversation turns....

We need a release announcement. Wonder if DaP33 will be announced before the subscription window closes. Early bird ends tomorrow.

Didn’t see any GD on the Black Friday RSD list.
Looks like Jerry and Merl will be the next release we get until DaP32.

Meant DaP34.
Yes, I knew what DaP33 was when I preordered.

Last year DaP 29 and 30 were announced while the subscription period was still open, but after the early bird had closed.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

So what’s up there tier quality show with Dekalb ‘77 but from a very different era (as DL put it)? Feel like ‘69 would be too comparable to 2019, with 2/26 followed by 1/2.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

It's obvious what kind of guy this is. He most likely got dumped by his significant other and that other person probably liked the dead. I'm sure he's into the Dave Mathews band. If you know what I mean. P.S. -this douch also said C.S.N. are way overrated the same as Simon and Garfunkel. I mean come on.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

He actually called the dead boring.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by carlo13

simply don't "get" the GD.

I am reminded consistently how the GD are the greatest band EVER.

But not everyone "gets" that.

And that's....okay.

Stuart Smalley's a Deadhead, you know.

I read in BAM magazine back in the day a phrase by Blair Jackson, describing the GD: "I know something you can't even imagine"

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Its nearly always nice when a new release is announced. I am not so keen when they announce releases too much in the future, though, like they tend to do at this time of the year. I haven't received Dave's Picks 32 yet, and Dave's Picks 33 has been announced. I don't need to know what Dave's Picks 34 is yet. They can save that one for a rainy day in February, when the pickings are slim.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Maybe someone already mentioned it, but the DaP 34 announcement traditionally comes toward the end of December, right before the subscriptions end (not at the end of the early-bird pricing, which just occurred).

In southern MN there is a large Amish community. When I lived down that way I saw the buggies, and often purchased produce from the Amish farmers. As I watch modern Americans spending most of their days taking photos and videos of themselves, I cannot help but think of the Amish maxim of refusing to be photographed; the Amish believe that having a photo taken of oneself only leads to an enlarged ego. Hmmm . . .

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Been absent for a bit doing some research for Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic project. It involved some interstellar travel, which explains why I was gone so long. The good news is that I returned to this planet 2.3 years younger than when I left!

I found a very groovy parallel universe out past exoplanet Kepler-62f. Garcia was there, looking much slimmer and in fine health. He was giving free banjo lessons to a group of Amish septuagenarians at an assisted care facility in the Poconos.

Across town, a gathering of all the major world leaders was taking place at a venue that was eerily reminiscent of Winterland circa 1977. A certain Senator from this forum had been elevated to President, and JiminMD had risen to the position of Secretary of State of Mind. They presided over a gathering that included ayatollahs in tie-dyed robes, actual dancing bears, and the ghost of Owsley managing the concession stands. Kim Jong-Un showed up with a stealie tattoo on his forehead, begging everyone he encountered to help him avoid being sent back to Pyongyang.

The highlight of the event was the playing of the NFA>GDTRFB>NFA sandwich from 11/17/1971 (DaP 26) through an exact replica of the Wall of Sound. And, yes, the volume was turned up to 11. Putin twirled his ass off, and Xi Jinping was seen beaming from ear to ear while trading shots of Southern Comfort with Janis in the lobby bar. Most of the attendees had tears of sheer joy running down their cheeks.

Afterward, everyone hugged and promised to be nice to each other, stop all military aggression, and treat their respective citizenry with kindness, dignity and respect. Additionally, it was agreed that Grateful Dead CDs would become the new universal currency. It was also proclaimed that each country’s national anthem would be changed to a version of Dark Star of their choosing. The U.S. picked first and went with Veneta. Sweet!!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, a kind-looking man in a crisp white coat is telling me it’s time for my happy pills. Ciao!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I finally got an email response from WMG Customer Service, it was 6 business days later, re damaged DaP32. Anyways good to know someone reads those emails. I really hope Dead.net ends up getting a US-based customer service line where you can speak with human. That would be a major improvement.

I gather from the post below that Dave's Picks 34 will be a previously non-circulating three disk complete 1968 show recorded on 16 track analogue master reels by Rex and Betty thought to be missing but now returned. It seems obvious that the bonus disc will be the complete second set from two nights prior.

Unless of course I missed something..

Deej, hoping for a quick and painless replacement.

Good to see you back in the mix Bolo, it has been a while. Looking forward to another year of clues. Maybe you could help this guy's with their warehouse issues.
Spinning some awesome 73 tonight, RT.4.3. This one continues where 11/17/73 left off. Love the Dire Wolf in this release. 73 at it's best and still available out there in the secondary market for affordable prices.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....my first declaration is to tell me what the next pick is. Executive orders are a bitch. (carefully points the mic down and applaudes).
My inbox is open for business....

....looking at what to play tonight. Fingers went from chin to cd rack and pulled out RT 4.2. April Fool's '88. I will skip the Watchtower though. Top ten Dead trainwrecks if there ever was one. Blech. Don't do yourself a favor.
There is a Cumberland, so it evens out in my opinion.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

...something you haven't listened to in a while really hits the spot, and today, for me it's DP 29 5/21/77. Just finishing up disc 3 as I do some reading and aimless meandering, and man, does it sound sweet.

Deadvikes, saw that reference to Roadtrips 4.3 and it reminded me that I picked up when Real Gone re-released that one recently and have listened to it maybe twice. Gonna have to give that another listen soon.

Interesting reading extensive reviews of the Dead by someone who clearly dislikes the Dead on just about every level. It moves you or it doesn't.

Moving on from DP29 to Alan Parson Project's Pyramid album, something else I haven't listened to in a while. Cool album, dig that APP sometimes.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Hey now Vguy, I was at those '88 Meadowlands shows and have fond memories of that Watchtower;)

Oh no..!! I exclaimed as his first executive order immediately set in place the very coup that overthrew his regime.

Had he listened to his wise and cautious advisors that suggested the first order of business should be to turn Camp David into a Wall of Sound enabled free music venue for all of us instead of using his powers for evil, to find out the next Dave's Picks before anyone else without going through the hardship to solve the endless, virtually impossible riddles.. , things would have turned out much different. Alas...

Well, we screwed up that parallel universe.. on to the next one they call Cygnus X-2(Deer_Creek).

To Cygnus X-2(Deer Creek). What could possibly go wrong?

As for your Doppleganger, I saw him drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's
And his hair was perfect.

Tossed in to randomly evoke the angry guise of KeithFan2112 as he realizes yet another Rush song was put in the subject line of several posts that seemingly had nothing to do with Rush.

As Yoda once said, Misanthropic bastards we are.

I really like that April Fools Road Trips. I do wish it sounded a tat better if that's ok to say. I'd put it in the same neighborhood as the Road Trips Penn State 1980 and the Download Series 1988 Hampton. All great shows but I'd kill or die for more dynamic range on the masters.

Edit: No hard feelings, KF.. just having a little fun.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

A Waylon Jennings smoker and fine follow up to APP for something totally different. Been diggin' some Waylon lately.

Brendan Byrne will always be the Meadowlands to me. Fond memories.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Just received DaP32 in the UK and the Playing is one for the ages. Terrific.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by frankparry

My postie has just put #32 into my grateful hands. Playing it in disc order so I’m up to Cumberland Blues. So far so good. Guitar on Cumberland Blues is worth the price on its own. My second fix of GD should arrive on Friday when Amazon deliver ‘Ready or not’. So much to be thankful for.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It's been a few days since I checked in. Wanted to tell everyone It's the anniversary of a Dyn-O-Mite show Stoltzfus turned me on to: November 19,1972. Then I saw Cygnus in the headlines, only to discover it was one of those Merry Pranksters again. I suppose that's what I get for hitting the road without a second cup of coffee. But seriously the Bird Song might be the best unreleased Bird Song out there. The Dark Star I've only listen to about a half-dozen times and not recently. I remember I mentally put it in the top 50 to 75% of Dark Stars mentally. First 5 minutes been fantastic, I can tell you that. I

The Grateful Dead - listen loud or don't listen at all.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Wasn't he the mouse that Krazy Kat loved?

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Charlie, it's funny you mention Alan Parsons Project. Saw my uncle Sunday, and he mentioned that his son (my cousin) had recently taken him to see APP. My uncle brought it up because he knows I love and know music (partially because of his tutelage--he played me Take Five when I was young). So yesterday I sat down and listened to a bunch of APP.

The Bolo post has me tortured, a la Jack Skellington in Nightmare Before Christmas--What does it MEAN?!

(hey . . . this game of distracting KeithFan is kinda' fun! :)

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

I picked up a used vinyl copy of this a month or so ago, along with a few others from Waylon. Timeless music. In September, I went on a fishing trip to Northern Minnesota with some old high school buds. Listened to a lot of country and Americana, so been on that wave length since then. Along those lines, the new Billy Strings arrived today on vinyl. This one's a keeper! Thanks Vguy for the intro to Billy......spinning now and sounds great!

Here's another one along those lines that I mentioned here a few weeks back......give it a listen if you haven't. The vinyl pressing is excellent:

https://nitty-gritty-dirt-band-store.myshopify.com/collections/music/pr…

For you Minnesota guys.....have you ever heard of Pelican Lake? On the fishing trip we stayed on a 45 acre private island on that lake in the north woods. Only one house on the island with a couple of servants cabins. Supposedly Jimmy Hoffa and other famous folks stayed there back in the day.

We did not see any werewolves.....stay away from him...he'll rip your lungs out Jim......I'd like to meet his Tailor

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Dave's Picks 32 materialised on my door mat at some point this morning too. I never heard it arrive, I just checked to see if I'd got any post about 11.00am, and there it was.
I haven't started playing any of it yet-tomorrow will be a better day for that..I can feel it in my bones. But its a nice looking package(as the actress said to the bishop). I like the article by Hugh Cutler in the sleeve.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Mmmm fishing. I love to fish. My friends and I used to go night fishing with beer and a few joints. There is nothing more fun. Oh, the good old days.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Now Deadhead Brewer's in on it 🤔 I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi....

Grace Under Pressure. Produced by Peter Henderson if I recall, whoever he is. The point is, they let Terry Brown go, and I believe that was a mistake. Big one. The album had some good songs on it that is for sure, but it was no Signals. And as many good songs as it had on it, I would say it is the lowest-ranked album between it and just about everything that came before it. Rumor has it that Terry was not into all of the electronic drums and predominant synths. Well they had a good run leading up to it, that's for sure. Every album after that had great Rush songs on it, but IMHO, some snoozers too. And of course they ended on a high note with Clockwork Angels.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Remain the classiest franchise in all of sports.

Thank you Pat Maroon.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

DeadHeadBrewer, listening to the album Time Out by Dave Brubeck after seeing your reference to Take Five, one of the highlights of that album. It is a testament to how good that whole album is that I can't even say for sure Take Five is my favorite song on the album, and as good as Take Five is that is saying something.

CaseyJanes, a 45 acre private island on a lake in the MN woods sounds amazing, I bet the night sky was fantastic. I have also been listening to some country and americana recently, mainly due to Ken Burns' Country Music documentary. A lot of the Waylon Jennings stuff hits the spot but Dreaming My Dreams is great, so is Lonesome, On'ry and Mean.

Listened to the Aoxomoxoa bonus disc earlier today, haven't listened to it more than a couple of times so far, but this time it struck me as pretty cool, particularly the Clementine-Death Don't Have No Mercy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It's all I listened to today. In addition to the Bird Song and the Dark Star I mentioned earlier, also great Playing in the Band and China Rider. Big Railroad Blues gets better every time I hear it. A respectable Mississippi Half-Step. Sugar Magnolia - now there's a great song nobody ever talks about. This one starts out a little rough, but picks up steam fast - like a steam locamotive. Rolling down the tracks. Those would actually make cool song lyrics. Anyway, yeah, Sugar Magnolia - 4/24/72 - that one'll knock your socks off. Can you believe THAT's the song that sucked me into the Dead orbit? If I had not by chance heard Rockin the Rhein's Sugar Magnolia playing in the background during a poker game, I wouldn't own a Dead record today. I think the Sunshine Daydream coda is best on the Europe '72 tour. There are some great '71 versions too, but Bobby really had the screams working well in Europe. Ever notice Donna doesn't start singing Sunshine Daydream until after E72? I prefer it without her.

Last call for 11/19/72, brought to you by Stoltzfus. I'm sure there's gotta be a good copy on archive.org.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html