• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • grass-shack-nailed

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

• docmarty
    Default Avatar

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
    I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
    pm me if interested

• samspade
    Default Avatar

I live in Sweden, in Stockholm. I had problems with Dave´s Picks Vol. 31, as many others, but it worked out well in the end. It took a long time to get vol. 32 - and I had to write once to the Dead - but now I received it today. I received Vol. 33 a week ago so hopefully this will work out fine in the future. By the way - Vol. 32 is terrific! A fine show from my favorite year.

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

I feel your pain. Me too. Still no Vol 32 and tracking showed the one they sent in the FAll went to multiple locations until it wound up somewhere in Indiana. I live in Ohio.

• nappyrags

Silly me...here I was all excited about finding a used copy of Dickus Pickus # 11 after hiding it for a week in the soft rock section of a used bookstore, when lo and behold I found a copy I had no memory of getting in a box of stuff I was sorting through over the weekend...sent if off to a friend who is unwise in the way of dead.net so it will be enjoyed but still...guess I gotta come up with some sorta spread sheet in my phone to avoid situations like this...silly me

• factorz
    Default Avatar

2/4 and still no copy of 32. Received Vol 33 which is great, but still nothing on this one. Original copy was sent to the wrong person (hope he is enjoying it), but where is my copy?? Paid in full but nothing to show for it. HELP ME!

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

How can this persist so long? Just meaningless email responses. Ship Vol 32! I have to believe if there was a warehouse problem then someone must be holding on to the CDs to get a bill paid. We're caught in the middle. Or what? At least give us an explanation. How can Dave not be getting to the bottom of this and fixing this mess by now? It's his namesake, so he should care.

• Scott-O
    Default Avatar

Got same message --- and my 33 came today. Not a happy camper.

• nappyrags

Bob is the best fake Bob out there...haaaa!!!

• LedDed

Someone here called Mayer "the best of the fake Jerrys." Well, he most certainly is. Slow tempos or not, that's a great band with the best live sound I've ever heard in a larger outdoor venue. So ticket prices are high, yes - they've got to pay themselves but they've also got to pay Mayer.

On official D&C recordings, it says "John Mayer appears courtesy of Columbia Records." Columbia is undoubtedly getting a little something off the top for their "courtesy."

I won't dig it up now, but you could find it - John Mayer earns substantially more per show as a solo artist than he does with Dead & Co. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between audiences - I really can't stand most of his solo work, but love him in D&C.

I would really like John to be in the band for the duration, at least for as long as all the current members remain playing together. That has to be less than ten more years and it could, in fact, end any time.

So I'll pay whatever to see what is without a doubt the last best live version of the Grateful Dead, along with the best of the fake Jerrys for as long as I possibly can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Is that the Pelican Lake by Orr, Minnesota? (there are a few Pelican Lakes in MN) If so, you were getting out into the boonies!

Keith Fan--I think that Grace Under Pressure was the first Rush cassette I ever purchased. At one point in the mid-80s, I took a magazine with Alex Lifeson's photo in it to my barber, and asked if she would cut my hair to look like his. I have very fine hair and was not instructed to use any product, so it didn't really work out. For some reason my wife has a CD of Roll The Bones and a Rush Best Of, even though NOTHING else in her CD collection is anything like Rush at all. I guess since she's lived only in MN and Maine, Canadian music has been easy enough to find? :)

Charlie, I agree--Take Five is probably not my favorite on that disc either . . .

....the events of Blade Runner took place in November, 2019, so soon is the last day you can watch it before subsequent viewings put it in the past. Where's my neon umbrella and origami unicorn?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

DP32 arrived in the U.K., here in York.

It is noticeable that this time they have put my address on the label, last time it was only part of an address. Yippee..

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

CaseyJanes you, and others, might want to give Bear's Sonic Journals - Doc and Merle Watson - Live at the Boarding House a listen. An excellent recording of some great traditional music.
Been diving deep into the DP32 recently and love the "Somewhere My Love" tease from Dr. Zhivago on the first disc and the "Yellow Rose of Texas" intro to El Paso.

Five recent listens...
Furthur - Baltimore Arena - 11/17/10
Dick's 16
North Mississippi Allstars - Up and Rolling
Wayne Shorter - ETC - Etcetera
Willie Nile - American Ride

All the best...

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Atomic Rooster Sleeping for Years
Bull Angus 1st and Bull Angus Free for all
Goodthunder
Humble Pie Rocking the Filmore
Procol Harum Broken Barricades
Lucifer's Friend 1st
oops, that's seven
going back to 1969/70 for most of these those were the days

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Yes sir Mr. Brewer, that’d be the one, and yes Mr. Charlie it was good times indeed. Just think, no women or children for thousands of miles....a true sausage fest, but for us married guys with young children, a welcome reprieve! There were about 12 of us, and it is a totally private island with one large main house that sleeps like 20 people. There were 8 small bedrooms in the top floor each with its own sink which was very handy during the night when after drinking all day. The main floor had a large wrap around open air porch with 5 or 6 beds that were suspended from the ceiling allowing one to sleep closer to the elements if they chose. That being said, we picked a week in mid September where winter decided to come a bit early to Northern Minnesota (I think maybe this is common) and it was cold as fuck plus it rained the entire time, and the lake was whitecapping with strong winds so needless to say the fishing sucked, and we didn’t see any stars. We did bring three guitars, two acoustics and an electric, 2 amps, a handful of harps in different keys, and also a Djembe drum. Plus there was enough liquor there to keep 100 Heads drunk for a month. Seriously you wouldn’t believe the amount of bourbon that these dudes brought for only 5 days. Also some nice edibles of different varieties including the fungal type and plenty of good stuff to smoke on as well. The nearest neighbor is a 10 minute boat ride away so noise was not ever a problem, And with 12 dudes from KC there is always good BBQ to munch on. We had the house from Wednesday -Sunday and the cost was $300 per dude, not including all of the extras of course! A jamming, drunken, smokin good time. So yep, if you’re ever strolling through Orr, MN and need a place to stay this is not a bad option and available for rent. Here’s a link to pics and info about the place...cool spot!

https://strandisland.com

Edit: Deadfeat1...yes that Doc & Merle Watson from Bears SJ is fantastic! I have listened on Spotify. Have been meaning to pick up the vinyl so thanks for the reminder! I have the ABB on vinyl and it is great! Also really looking forward to Bears New Riders Release with Jerry on pedal Steal no less....WOW, bring it!

FYI: Doc Watson makes an appearance on that NGDB release that I sent a link to.

And if you like Americana, and have not heard Josh Ritter then do yourself a favor. He’s like a cross between Bob Dylan, James Taylor and John Denver. Great songwriter!

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

You picked a perfect time to be in Orr. That time of year in MN is usually glorious! This year there was no autumn in the North Star State (mid-August suddenly turned to November and stayed there), but most years your time here would have been 70-80 with sun, no humidity, and no bugs. Try us again some time!

But it sounds like you had a great "walleye chop," as we call the turbulent lake water. I thought that fish bite better when the weather is not the best?

A few years back I went on a northern MN canoe trip with some Kentucky boys, and I was SHOCKED by how much bourbon they brought along! They drank the stuff like water.

(ignore the Subject, CJanes. I'm just trying to keep KeithFan distracted, although this Rush song title kind of fits with your story!)

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Listening to the two show Dick's Picks something, always curious why they started Uncle john's the way they did. It doesn't sound accidental... Has anyone every heard any info about it... Thanks all bob t

It's been a while since I listened to this, but I recall it sounding like they fell into UJB, probably somewhat planned.. (they do Terrapin>PITB>UJB>…) but they fell into the song at the refrain by happenstance, luck or whatever, then someone (likely Jerry) decided hey, why the hell are we starting this at the reprise, lets just start it from the beginning, and makes a clean segue to the beginning riffs of the song and rips it extra hard to make a statement.

Just a guess.. but that's my take. Like snapping out of a daydream to realize you missed your turn a while back and doing an instant refresh to that moment but this time making the right turn and proceeding on your merry way.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

We’re captive on the carousel of time
We can’t return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game
James Taylor & Joni Mitchell

Another historic note, today is the 50th anniversary of the occupation of Alcatraz.

Also Uncle John or John Cohen died September 16 of this year. A week before Robert Hunter died.
“He’s come to take his children home”

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I agree with your theory!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

All-around a really nice show. I appreciate Donna's vocal contributions mostly in '77 but here, on The Race Is On, she's terribly out of key. Kind of a bummer.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Sam.. nice to see a name check for this great album by Humble Pie. There was a box set that came out a few years ago which featured all 4 sets, on 4 cds, that they used as a basis for the live album . The sets all feature virtually the same song list, but its a brute of a box. No songs about elves or swords with names..just hot n' nasty rock/blues/soul.

There is another great live album by them called Rockin' The Winterland from 1973.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Thanks for the heads up on Humble Pie 4 cd box set. Just got it used (like new) on amazon 70 bucks (I think new was 300!).

Waiting for more words on the next Osley set. I found no mention of New Riders anywhere, but I put faith in this group to have ear to the track.

There are a few sets on Archive.org where they played with the Dead.. I think all the ones I saw were recorded at the FE, but they were recorded by someone and at least some of the recordings do exist. I can't help but feel many of these were recorded by Bear.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hey nice to see Broken Barricades on your last five list...have you heard the three disc re-issue? first one is the LP with some bonus tracks tacked on at the end...disc 2 is da chit, a 71' live in the studio done in NYC...one of Trower's last gigs with them...I've had this set in various bootleg forms through the years, even had the original vinyl it came on way back when...worth the price of admission by itself...the third disc is another '71 live show and while it is stellar sound the performance is somewhat flat , not a big fan of David Ball's guitar playing....

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

ya can't go wrong with Steve Marriott & Humble Pie...30 days in the hole nearly gets me going as stupid as I used to be!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Jiminmd - DP29 is possibly my favourite of all the picks. The whole unbroken sequence starting with Playing in the Band is just fantastic. Yes, UJB starts in the ‘wrong’ place but somehow it seems just exactly right in the context. The China Doll imho is the finest they’ve ever played.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by frankparry

30 days in the hole? contact a physician

Black Sabbath first 5 albums and first two tracks of 6th = awesomeness

Rush Hemispheres love it

Television Marquee Moon sublime

8/16/91 sadly, a bland affair, even with first set Dark Star

8/26/71 potent

5/19/77 gotta check that one out again. one of the all-time greats. cited in Blair Jackson's book from 82/83

Someone that posts a lot on these forums commented earlier that they were going to do 50th nods for studio albums only. I forget who posted that, but I recall they had a direct quote.

My moneys on ConeKid.. but that's just a guess.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

5/19/77 a breakout of sorts for China Doll, hadn't been played since the retirement shows - classic show
5/11/77 Phil foreshadows the forthcoming breakout of China Doll in the minutes prior to Wharf Rat :-)

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I have no prior knowledge of forthcoming releases. My ability to see into the future has never revealed anything GD related. Most insights into the future revolve around my ability to predict how I will feel the next day while I’m enjoying one too many beers.

I don’t see a reason why Live Dead would be rereleased since the FW 69 CD Box was released, and the vinyl versions of 2-27,28-69 were Plangentized.
Also, Live Dead was already rereleased in the Golden Road Box years ago.

Now, to bed. My hindsight tells me that I should not have had that last beer.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Gives me something to listen to again too.

The 4th 77 show released, it's a twofer and it's two complete shows (I think, did they leave anything off this?). The only six disc, non-box set single release and it's from the fabled May '77 run. It's been a long, long time.

A shout out to Bob T for putting this on our radar.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

It's funny you brought up that box set of the Pies', I was looking at that the other day and said, "looks like the same show over and over and over". Passed on that one but yes, Humble Pie was a hard rocking blues act. I have two copies of the lp, the first one is the original press and has no beeps or cuts in Rolling Stone which takes up an entire side of the 2nd lp, the second press, the record company, in their infinite wisdom, beeped out a few choice words Steve Marriott used when talking about things that he did in private. Like most recordings, I prefer the uncut version.
Procol Harum was one of my faves when Trower was with them, without him, they went the way of the dodo and disappeared from fm radio. When asked about 1967's music Ringo Star said that a Whiter Shade of Pale was the song he thought of first when he thought of 1967. I have seen Trower many times, but the most rememberable was in Jacksonville Fl in 1973, right after his third lp "For Earth Below" was released. I will never forget the opening, there was the stage, black curtains and stacks of Marshall amps with a bit of a black light effect, then came from behind the stacks a beautiful purple mist/smoke that filled up the stage and "Song for a dreamer" was playing in the background : I will meet you on the other side of the room the Dr's say they must operate, then out walks Trower and the band, just a three piece and rip into Day of the Eagle>Fine day. Blew everyone away and sent the guy that drove us all to the show out into the corridors to walk it off, trippin balls he was. Saw Trower again in the early 80's in a bar, did a bit too many shrooms and could not get out of the car and missed the entire opening act, but recouped enough to walk in just as the band came on stage, Passion had just been released and even as wasted as I was, got a copy of the lp laying on a table next to the back stage area and got Robin to sign it. Still got that lp and some great memories of that show, was standing right in front of Trower during the second set, just awesome guitar player and very underrated.
I have seen that Broken Barricades upgrade and was wondering about the live shows, good to know and now it's on my radar for purchase, thanks for the tip Nappy. Funny, had a friend back in the day we all called Nappy, called that due to his nappy hair, haven't seen or heard from him in 30 plus years, you aren't him are you? :)

no I'm not him but back in the day one of my nicknames was bushy...one day a friend of a friend was giving me a hard time (albeit in good fun) about my Mexi-Fro and another friend told him "Hey, are you Anti-Bushy or something?" so that was my name for awhile...I saw the Salty Dog tour in a barn of a room called the Rose Palace in Pasadena...literally a metal hangar type of a building that was mainly used to construct and decorate the Rose Parade floats...when Procol did "The Devil Came From Kansas" it looked like Trower was going to collapse from his string bending...good times...also check out the "Exotice Birds & Fruit" reissue...another on with live shows tacked on, this time with Mick Grabham on guitar who was way better than David Ball....oh and on that Procol Pasadena gig there was new SF band opening by the name of the Carlos Santana Blues Band

...was my favourite album by Robin Trower. He's still got it, too. Or had last time I saw him about 5 years ago. Incredible tone...I can remember he played an extended version of "Too Rolling Stoned" that had even inanimate objects dancing.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

A month ago I thought, "Gee, I have and love Whiter Shade and Salty Dog, so why don't I own Shine On Brightly?" So I rectified that situation, and just listened to Shine for the first time two days ago!

Love me some Procol and Roxy Music. And that first disc by New York Dolls . . .

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I listened to disc three last evening (Hesgonetruckinjamdarkstar) and this morning (darkstarsingmebackhome)

really cool stuff

I had SMBH blasting during the morning shower, with me singing along

"SIIIIIINNNGGG MMEEEE BAAACK HOOOMMMMEEEE"

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Listening to A.G. soundtrack. Reminds me of my old man's 61' Bonneville convertible rides to car shows.

Well, it arrived in good time, and it actually plays all the way through without any skips, hops or jumps. All of which is good and no longer guaranteed.

I am not so sure about the first cd, though. This sounds very tame to me-no real energy at all. Its pleasant enough, but it could do with pepping up a bit.

The second cd starts well with Here Comes Sunshine which twists and turns quite nicely, before a few more sleepers...then Playing. Someone else has mentioned this version-Frank, I think - and I agree with the comments made-this is a fantastic jam-light years ahead of anything on the previous 17(!) songs.
And it does all pick up from this point on-the versions of Big River and Me and My Uncle cook nicely-much better than the playing on all of the first cd, which features similar songs.

And the 3rd cd is great, too.

So...a lot of good music. But a lot of filler, too.

Well now...… I received 2 copies of Dave's 32 here in England. I let the Doc (Rhino) know via the good lady Marye - he says to pass it on to a friend....and since you're all my friends on here (shout out esp to Daverock and KCJ) I'm happy to send it anywhere at no cost. Please pm me if interested as long as you agree not to resell on ebay etc ps it's unopened and still in shrinkwrap

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

ELYCOI signed up on dead.net with 2 unplayable discs half an hour after DOCMARTY offered a free one. That one's going straight to eBay if he gets his hands on it.

DAVEROCK I'm surprised you didn't like the opening Bertha. I think Bill sounds really really good and fills this rendition with energy. I'm not much of a Tennessee Jed fan but I thought that one was really good too. I thought the Cumberland Blues was a hot one too maybe a good one to revisit.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

Trainwrecked...yes, thanks, I will give more attention to the songs you mention - great song Cumberland, too. Those were my first impressions, and maybe the next time I play it all will be revealed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Since you just signed up today, you might not be aware that you can contact Dr. Rhino or MaryE on here and they will kindly replace CD 1 and 2. Usually all you have to do is send them is your order number, and in a few weeks or so you receive replacement discs.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

The Dead (or a representative of said) stated quite some time ago that only studio albums would be getting the Anniversary treatment. That's why no "Live Dead" re-issue.

user picture

Member for

5 years 7 months

Check your PM inbox

user picture

Member for

4 years 11 months

I have the same nickname Bushy!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

like they said, send me a PM. Sorry for the trouble.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by marye

....we just drove through Ely, NV last week. Imagine that.
And yes. Cumberland is a grate song. Y'all didn't think I would miss that bait, now did you?
Been on a Minglewood kick lately as well. Is it New? Or New, New? Oh, bother

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Where Casey Jane was fishing is getting up near a Minnesota town called Ely.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

11/14/73, from 30 Trips is no slouch. They swing from the get go, starting the journey with a Big Railroad Blues, and then, a mere 5 songs into the set, play a celebratory and glorious 13 minute 13 second Here Comes Sunshine.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html