• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • grass-shack-nailed

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

• docmarty
    Default Avatar

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
    I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
    pm me if interested

• samspade
    Default Avatar

I live in Sweden, in Stockholm. I had problems with Dave´s Picks Vol. 31, as many others, but it worked out well in the end. It took a long time to get vol. 32 - and I had to write once to the Dead - but now I received it today. I received Vol. 33 a week ago so hopefully this will work out fine in the future. By the way - Vol. 32 is terrific! A fine show from my favorite year.

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

I feel your pain. Me too. Still no Vol 32 and tracking showed the one they sent in the FAll went to multiple locations until it wound up somewhere in Indiana. I live in Ohio.

• nappyrags

Silly me...here I was all excited about finding a used copy of Dickus Pickus # 11 after hiding it for a week in the soft rock section of a used bookstore, when lo and behold I found a copy I had no memory of getting in a box of stuff I was sorting through over the weekend...sent if off to a friend who is unwise in the way of dead.net so it will be enjoyed but still...guess I gotta come up with some sorta spread sheet in my phone to avoid situations like this...silly me

• factorz
    Default Avatar

2/4 and still no copy of 32. Received Vol 33 which is great, but still nothing on this one. Original copy was sent to the wrong person (hope he is enjoying it), but where is my copy?? Paid in full but nothing to show for it. HELP ME!

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

How can this persist so long? Just meaningless email responses. Ship Vol 32! I have to believe if there was a warehouse problem then someone must be holding on to the CDs to get a bill paid. We're caught in the middle. Or what? At least give us an explanation. How can Dave not be getting to the bottom of this and fixing this mess by now? It's his namesake, so he should care.

• Scott-O
    Default Avatar

Got same message --- and my 33 came today. Not a happy camper.

• nappyrags

Bob is the best fake Bob out there...haaaa!!!

• LedDed

Someone here called Mayer "the best of the fake Jerrys." Well, he most certainly is. Slow tempos or not, that's a great band with the best live sound I've ever heard in a larger outdoor venue. So ticket prices are high, yes - they've got to pay themselves but they've also got to pay Mayer.

On official D&C recordings, it says "John Mayer appears courtesy of Columbia Records." Columbia is undoubtedly getting a little something off the top for their "courtesy."

I won't dig it up now, but you could find it - John Mayer earns substantially more per show as a solo artist than he does with Dead & Co. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between audiences - I really can't stand most of his solo work, but love him in D&C.

I would really like John to be in the band for the duration, at least for as long as all the current members remain playing together. That has to be less than ten more years and it could, in fact, end any time.

So I'll pay whatever to see what is without a doubt the last best live version of the Grateful Dead, along with the best of the fake Jerrys for as long as I possibly can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Today I finally ripped Dave's Picks 32, Ready Or Not and downloaded all of the 30 Days mp3s. Kind of like binge watching a TV series.

The days listening started with the 12/2/73 portion of Dick's Picks volume 14 ( highly recommended if you don't have it), pretty much while downloading and ripping. Now I'm up to Corinna from R.O.N. and it's an interesting compilation. Liberty is decent. Eternity is kind of an averaging version. Vince sounds pretty good on it. Jerry is decent enough, but there are definitely better versions. Lazy River Road is solid. For the first time I thought Samba In The Rain grooved, until they lost it in the jam. Jerry was all over the map on that one. Too bad, as it could have been a pretty good song after a little more time on the road. So Many Roads is pretty good, mainly the ending crescendo. Acceptable, but better versions are out there (I see the version from Copps Coliseum 92 made it into 30 Days and I was there. Could make a nice companion the the first night that was released in Boxilla). I attended the 92 Deer Creek run so saw Way To Go Home in person. Not much to say about this song. It's decent, but not much room for growth or development. Corinna has a nice jam that gets cut (bummer). Had a nice recording of the 93 Spectrum show with Easy Answers for years and I think that full show would make a splendid release. Tubular Bells Space and Dark Star. Actually that 92 Deer Creek show would be nice as a release. Days Between just came on as I'm typing. Wasn't this December 94 run when they started using teleprompters? Ornette Coleman play at one of these as well?

Needless to say....if only Jerry could have reigned in his health issues.... ;(

Next on queue....Dave's Picks 32. Sure, I'll listen to another 73 show today...why not?

2020 subscription is in. Dekalb 77 next up, then ???

Quick edit - The Days Between is nice, but they cut the big jam at the end like they did with Corinna.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Have to think Dave will go back to the early 1970s for #34. 70 or 71. I also think this year we will see something from early April of 78. Maybe one of the Fox Theater shows.
Of course, Dave likes to mix it up from time to time, so maybe we all be surprised.
I think there are something like 5000 copies of the RFK box left. Great stuff, can't believe they have that many left.

user picture

Member for

14 years

So I’ve been a little busy last month and just realized my vol. 32 never arrived. My order shows it has not shipped. Anyone got info before I have to read all the posts or call Customer service??
Sorry for being out of the loop.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Bit late to the party I know. I have been travelling for work all around the world for the last 2 months and finally got home and around to listening to this. It is a truly magnificent release; just breathtaking and sounding so good. Thanks GOGD, Dave and the production team

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I had the same issue. Send Mary a pm and give her your order # and she'll sort it out for you.

I agree with most of the sentiments here. This is truly a great release. A few rough patches here and there and a couple of bum notes but overall its a great slice of the dead at or near their absolute peak.

I was lucky enough to be in the Canadian Rockies last week for some early season turns and let this one play all the way through uninterrupted. It proved a great soundtrack to Lake Louise skiing.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I pre-ordered the NRPS 5-cd box last week, and already got a shipping notice. Wow!! They had an early bird price of $40.00, not sure if is still available.
Dennis, I DO need that Zappa box, like I need Oxygen, Food, and H2O. Can't wait to get it.
On the Dead front, while waiting for #33, my wife has informed me that I need to attend a 12 step program foe people who buy too many cds. I'm starting to think she may be right, but at least I can't die from an overdose.
I may, however, get in a sh*tload of marital trouble. Starting to have merch shipped to a friend's house. It's only a matter of time before I get found out.
Note: I'm smiling as I type this, marriage jail can't be THAT bad!!
I hope everyone has a safe and joyous Holiday season (whatever you celebrate)…..Peace

user picture

Member for

14 years

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Is “Mary” their username on here? Trying to find the members list......

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Rex Foundation, Internet Archive, Electronic Frontier Foundation (John Barlow).

'Nuff said.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

That is an excellent read. Love the part about when he got the letter back!

user picture

Member for

14 years

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Done and done. Hopefully she gets it/hopefully I sent it right.

It is odd that most here seem to have their order—with the exception of international—but me and at least one other Midwesterner on here... I’ve been ordering since day one and have all box sets and all release...and this is the first time I’ve gotten wrapped up in one of the shipping debacles. First time for everything!

As related as I can get, I just broke out the Winterland ‘73 boxset the other week, for the first time in years. Good stuff! That massive playin’>UJB>Dew>UJB>playin’ is indeed killer... but I forgot how raw and rockin’ that Dark Star was from the 3rd show.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

My wife also thinks I need some sort of 12 step program to slow my roll on the disc purchases Mr. Ones. I will consider your initial post and this response as my first meeting, feel free to do the same. Funny thing though, this initial meeting has just reminded me about the upcoming NRPS box, so maybe this whole 12 step thing has the potential to backfire...

Revisited the 5/5/77 and 5/7/77 from the GSTL box over the last couple of days, reminding me once again how much I like everything from May '77. Planning on listening to the rest of that box in the next couple of days. Spinning Blood, Sweat and Tears first album Child is Father to the Man now while doing a little reading and man is it hitting the spot. Not to further sabotage the whole 12 step thing, but if you don't have Child is Father to the Man it is worth checking out...

I can quit anytime. Sipping on a nice decaf download series 6, 3/17/68 as I write this.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

..as they used to say "up North." Just seems a bit cheeky of Dead.net to print holiday deadlines for shipping when some people haven't received orders they have already made. I think they may be aiming a little high with this one.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

I am supposed to receive my NRPS cd s from the Owsley foundation tomorow. They look really cool. I bought 2 copies, one for me and one for my brother.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I too may have to reign in my musical purchases since my job and me came to the conclusion to let me go. I told them (on my application and in person interview), when asked what my "greatest" and "weakest" strength were. I told them my greatest was my honestly, my weakest, my honestly. In the end they didn't like my honestly :-)

Everyone wants the truth until they don't like the truth.

Also,,,, my new riders have shipped also,,, yay!

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I always thought when i saw this show in Deadbase VI that some songs must be missing out of the second set, sort of how they were for the 12/6/73 show. Checking out Internet Archive i saw that they were hours late for the show. So if you have the Winterland 73 Bonus CD most of what is worth listening to is on the Bonus disc. I just finished listening to the archive version. The Eyes of the World is the highlight with the jam after into Sugar Magnolia. 4 song second set had to make you a little angry if you were there... bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Just got home from work and found my Owsley Foundation 5-disc NRPS box set in my mail box!! Did not see that coming. It looks great(the box material is VERY thin, but everything else is superb). I gotta start listening, hope everyone is enjoying this day.
Dennis, sorry to hear about the job. I think in the long run, you'll end up with something better. We got to think positive to keep the karma good. And just noticing what I've purchased in the last week, It sure looks like I have a cd problem. Hmmmmm......didn't see that coming.
P.S.-the last track on disc 4, Death And Destruction is 13:32, might play that song first!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Thanks for the thought on the job front. In the end I don't NEED the job. It was something to fill time. It was a fun job in that I worked with kids and could drink, trip and smoke all night long. As I said to fellow employees many times, "never hire a man who doesn't need the job",,,, we're way too fuckin honest! (if not giving a shit the same as honest? :-) )

I will not be looking until next year regardless. I probably will re-tile my kitchen first. ( I will save more money then I would have made working and the job will be done to my satisfaction! )

On the Owlsey front,,,, mine has been shipped. I was surprised, didn't think it was being released until next month.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis, all contributed to a crowdfund PM MaryE sent out this morning and bought the shop, it's in your name.

Show up tomorrow, give them all a piece of your mind and fire them.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.. let us know how it goes, perhaps put together a YouTube so we check out their reaction when they get the news.

On a related note.. we need a new release. February? and with the surprise already gone. argh... How about a one disc wonder from '68 just in time for the holidays?

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

What a great name, but not as good as Mr. Eggsandwich, classic name.
Speaking of names, where have you gone OROBOROUS?

Going back to the PNW box again. Listening to 6/26/73, so good.
70 shows in 73, just think how many more they could release. Oh, and this box is still available. I would have jumped on the 20% off on this one if I was missing it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....there's an NRPS box? Best ship that one to my work address. Lol.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Someone mentioned this the other day, so I googled/Amazon'd and it lead to me a box set of their first (I think 5) albums at a special price.. said, pass, I already have it. Then today's posts lead me to Bear's Sonic Journals.. so I had to get it.

Then you guys got me all paranoid that I have this CD addiction and I need to hide it from everyone in my house.. so I opened up a new P.O. box under the name Tom Banjo and ordered the puppy licketty split.

I bought a trench coat and fake glasses w/ a mustache and a hat so no one will recognize me when I pick them up.

Got it all figured out.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thanks.

What makes a little smile on my face is the owners of the store (father and daughter) have both been sentenced to 3 years in Federal pen on a mislabeling charge stemming from a huge government case over spice. So I'm not there, but they aren't either!

Google "the gas pipe" "dallas" and you can read about the case that dragged on for about 5 years,,, just finished last month with the owners finally being sentenced.

Also on the plus side, my buddy who owns a shop, wants to sell it, move to an up and coming area and open 3 stores at once to 'corner' the market. He wants me to come in with him. Maybe? I've done the own business thing, no sure if I got the get-up-and-go anymore. Takes a lot to do and maybe my wife is ready to retire and travel. Will see what the future holds.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

I would join, but I don't want to be cured. Discs have been arriving here daily lately, sometimes two or three per day. I have been reading Jazz by John Fordham, and a few times a day I read about a disc he loves, put down the book, go order the disc on Discogs, then come back to the book. Not only do I not want to be cured, but I don't NEED to be. My wife happily puts up with my CD purchases, allows huge Magnepan speakers to sit in our living room, allows more Magnepans around the t.v., and allows bookshelf speakers on stands in the kitchen. She never says a word when I replace the stereo and speakers in a newly-purchased vehicle. Love her!

And along the lines of too many CDs, today not one but TWO copies of Ready or Not arrived separately--I only ordered one! No sign of the bolt Seapa/footbag or calendar I ordered, and those two items are now not appearing on the order, although I got charged for them. Grateful Dead Merchandising sure is a hoot these days . . .

Stoltzfus--that was my second show, and I made the decision the other day to finally start listening to the shows I attended, in order. (Haven't been certain that they will hold up to my memories . . . ) I only made it through my first (6/24/91--HOT!), and now I need to get on to 6/28/91. I did not attend the second of the two Sandstone shows back in 1991; I didn't know how to properly do the Dead when I first started.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I have become increasingly addicted to cds with each passing year. Its great. For the last year or so, my eyes have lit up at the mention of box sets. I decided I wasn't going to buy another one this year, but I broke down last night and ordered the Duane Eddy box, Twangin From Phoenix - or some such- via Discogs . Its on Bear Records, and there are boxes are sumptuous.

Also last night, listening to the amazing, and only Magic Sam Live cd I have-from 1963 and 1969, I decided I definitely needed more by him - and wouldn't you know it, there are several individual cds available-one of which will hopefully come plopping through my door before the week is out.

As well as being addicted to cds, I am also addicted to books and guitars. Although with guitars I am more of a recreational user. Small house, too. Small but full.

Dennis-sounds like an exciting time whatever direction you decide to go in.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good to see some what appear to be serious FZ fans. I'm going on 52 years. Neck and neck with the Dead. Good to see at least the 1 way superiority doesn't affect the fans as it did Frank and Gail

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by snafu

Where is the 25 days of Christmas calendar this year?

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

[I've been in fast-forward lately, so if this has already been covered here, my apologies – just keep on scrollin'!]
In case you haven't stumbled across this year's 31 Days of Dead, you might want to check out Ed Martin's efforts at:
https://linernotesmusicblog.wordpress.com/2019/12/01/31-days-of-dead-in…

Even if piecemeal extracts from whole shows aren't your cup of tea, Ed's commentaries on each day's selection are extensive and full of cool observations and obscure tidbits. This is the tenth year he's followed up November's official 30 Days of Dead with an unofficial 31 Days of Dead in December. He's dedicating this year's volume to Robert Hunter. It's only Day 5 and there is already over 2 hours of music revolving and evolving around Robert Hunter and his magical songwriting.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Oops

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

That's a great box set! Love Bear Family. I saw Duane Eddy at the Guitar Geek Festival maybe 10 years ago, played a grey Gretsch Duane Eddy signature; awesome tone! Not sure if he still performs(he's in his 80s), but he's worth seeing live.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Original copy on Ebay for a mere $3403. Doesn't come up too often; surprised to see they gave Jerry songwriting credits on both sides...wonder if they were in in Public Domain.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Ha-haaaa not the Pink Floyd variety, but those were the words that came to mind.

Slipknot! DaP 28, June '76 - upper echelon. Bearly a better one out there. Ha-haaaa bears again, undeliberate.

I love rumble strips.

The Other One DP 18, Feb '78 - post hiatus nothing comes close that I've ever heard.

Jeff Smith thanks for the link. I forget about this guy who does the 31 days every year.

I didn't even really pay too much attention to this year's 30 days of dead on this site. Any dark stars are bird songs? Any rare gems from the 60s or 70s that sound so good you can't believe you didn't have them already?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube…

P.S. - if you haven't listened to the playing in the band from Dave's Picks 18 in a while, it's time. They really just get into some fantastic Jam territory.

user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

In reply to by KeithFan2112

FYI to some fellow WhoHeads on this board ....Tomorrow they are releasing their latest Album. Some of the cuts are pretty good for a couple of 74 year old guys. Cheers !!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I just came on here to see if anyone knows what time Amazon or iTunes puts an album on sale. Like, is it going to be available for me to download in 40 minutes?

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

For me it's always been the case that if I want to read through the latest comments, I just open the website, go to where I want to go and there all you folks are. I didn't used have to sign in to see that stuff.
Today for whatever reason, there are no comments to click on when I go to the Dave's 32 page or say the subscription page. No comments section even listed. WTF?
I was only able to find comments by signing in and clicking on someone's prompt on the opening page where "community" things are mentioned. If I'm not signed in, the last thing I'm able to read on the Dave's 32 is the comment from Dennis where he is thanking Jimbo for the crowdsourced store. Very fun by the way.
Have they disabled regular, easy access because of all the HONEST TALK about the FUCKING HORRIBLE "customer service" during the hopefully high sales holidays?
I hope this is not the case. Website glitch? Hopefully. I'm probably wrong. Issues for this website do seem to be a repeating problem through the years....

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Yes, I saw him last year in London-it was advertised as his 80th Birthday Celebration. And he was superb. As at the show you saw, he played a beautiful signature Gretsch 6120 hollowbody which sounded glorious. He came over as a really nice man, as well - nice sense of humour. It was quite an inspiring evening all round.

Thanks to folks that offered I contact marye about possible help with my missing vol32 subscription order. Unfortunately, I didn’t hear back from her... I’m suspecting any window she had to help people is past and there are issues out of her control of possible influence.
If I was to guess... Since some reported discs failing to play, and other being told 6 to 8 weeks for a ‘replacement’, when they were clearly calling about not receiving their initial order, that these may be related and Rhino is having to get the run reprinted/pressed/spun/whatever. Just a thought.

Happy Friday folks
Jason

I noticed that too.. I went through the history on my browser to get here. Weird.. I sent MaryE a PM, and it looks like it sent just to me. There's something weird going on here...

I would be surprised if they removed comments, but who knows..

Happy Friday all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

....JRF & Jimmy noted that the comments section is no longer visible from the main CD page for DaP32. This is true for me as well - the only way I was able to find this section was because I had bookmarked it. Seems we are running incognito at the moment then? Weir'd.

Take a moment today (nay, many moments) to enjoy today's Dark Star from this date back in '73. Also a great HCS, China > Rider and Eyes. Hell, it's all fantastic. I mean, it's fall '73.

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-12-06.sbd.miller.105560.flac16

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Good call.

For what it's worth, I think PMs are not working at all either.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Good call.

For what it's worth, I think PMs are not working at all either.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

At first I thought it was just a glitch.. but it is quite possible comments and PMs are going away.

I can see the big year-end presentation to the board at Rhino going something like this:

- Strategic initiative to remove comments: Complete
- Strategic initiate to remove PM's: Complete

Next exciting progress on product and customer complaints, Complaints sent to MaryE via PM's have been virtually eliminated. Quality excellence bonuses have been approved. Great job folks!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html