• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • grass-shack-nailed

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

• docmarty
    Default Avatar

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
    I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
    pm me if interested

• samspade
    Default Avatar

I live in Sweden, in Stockholm. I had problems with Dave´s Picks Vol. 31, as many others, but it worked out well in the end. It took a long time to get vol. 32 - and I had to write once to the Dead - but now I received it today. I received Vol. 33 a week ago so hopefully this will work out fine in the future. By the way - Vol. 32 is terrific! A fine show from my favorite year.

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

I feel your pain. Me too. Still no Vol 32 and tracking showed the one they sent in the FAll went to multiple locations until it wound up somewhere in Indiana. I live in Ohio.

• nappyrags

Silly me...here I was all excited about finding a used copy of Dickus Pickus # 11 after hiding it for a week in the soft rock section of a used bookstore, when lo and behold I found a copy I had no memory of getting in a box of stuff I was sorting through over the weekend...sent if off to a friend who is unwise in the way of dead.net so it will be enjoyed but still...guess I gotta come up with some sorta spread sheet in my phone to avoid situations like this...silly me

• factorz
    Default Avatar

2/4 and still no copy of 32. Received Vol 33 which is great, but still nothing on this one. Original copy was sent to the wrong person (hope he is enjoying it), but where is my copy?? Paid in full but nothing to show for it. HELP ME!

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

How can this persist so long? Just meaningless email responses. Ship Vol 32! I have to believe if there was a warehouse problem then someone must be holding on to the CDs to get a bill paid. We're caught in the middle. Or what? At least give us an explanation. How can Dave not be getting to the bottom of this and fixing this mess by now? It's his namesake, so he should care.

• Scott-O
    Default Avatar

Got same message --- and my 33 came today. Not a happy camper.

• nappyrags

Bob is the best fake Bob out there...haaaa!!!

• LedDed

Someone here called Mayer "the best of the fake Jerrys." Well, he most certainly is. Slow tempos or not, that's a great band with the best live sound I've ever heard in a larger outdoor venue. So ticket prices are high, yes - they've got to pay themselves but they've also got to pay Mayer.

On official D&C recordings, it says "John Mayer appears courtesy of Columbia Records." Columbia is undoubtedly getting a little something off the top for their "courtesy."

I won't dig it up now, but you could find it - John Mayer earns substantially more per show as a solo artist than he does with Dead & Co. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between audiences - I really can't stand most of his solo work, but love him in D&C.

I would really like John to be in the band for the duration, at least for as long as all the current members remain playing together. That has to be less than ten more years and it could, in fact, end any time.

So I'll pay whatever to see what is without a doubt the last best live version of the Grateful Dead, along with the best of the fake Jerrys for as long as I possibly can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

is sublime...I've had these shows in ok sbd bootlegs for ages but they did a really great job on (other than the title) it...and as you say dirt cheap

to leave the salt mine and head to the airport in a bit (90 miles from here) to fly into Denver...see some old friends for a few days and then take the Mrs to the Denver Art Museum for the killer Monet exhibit...they have gathered over 120 of his paintings from various museums and private collections for this...super stoked and I plan on hitting the major music shop "Twist & Shout" to see what goodies I can find afterward

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Yes.. I can see them too. But I bet you are getting here through a bookmark or something. Try accessing comments from the Dave's Picks 32 product page (below). There's no comments tab anymore. I did notice the comments tab is on the subscription page though.. so who knows, this could be a one-off issue.

https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-…

Also, send me a PM and look and see what happens.. specifically look who you sent it to. It only sends PM's to yourself now. Something strange is going on in Oz.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

When I check the site on my phone without signing in I can get to this comments thread easy enough using the community-dead store products link to the comments but the only ones that show up are those prior to Dennis' December 4th post thanking Jim and everyone for the shop. When I come here via the bookmark on my laptop, on which I am signed in here, the comments are current. Curious.
Edit: JiminMD - tried to send you a PM to see if it worked, but it does not appear to have worked, looks like you described, where the PM just seems to have gone to me only. More curious.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Caught the same tour (I believe) here in Fort Worth at the Kimball. I thought it was called the early years,,, I could be wrong. Some nice stuff, some not so nice. But were members and see about everything.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

The comments are hidden from the main page. Mmmmmmmm . . .

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I too didn't see them on the product page, but clicked on "Community", then "products", then "Dead Store Products" and all of the threads for various release are shown (Dave's Picks, May 77, Giants Box ect ect).

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

I sent you a PM and you weren’t on the receiving end.

Seems that the spam bots are still getting in, there’s a new post on the Rainbow page.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Villains are among us. It's only a matter of time until the vault is gone and dead.net succumbs to selling only cups, mugs and steelie rubik's Cubes.

There's only one solution, storm the vault ourselves and save the reels from evil hands. Once we abscond with the vault, we will need a new name for archival releases.

Who's with me, and more importantly who's going first? I mean.. what could possibly go wrong?
#FreeTheReels

Edit: Cone Kid, sorry.. simple tear in the space/time continuum. Pretty sure I've got this mostly under control. Give me just a minute.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

This is a test message to see if I can read my own message!
No comments have been posted for the last 30+ hours when I look at the website. This seems unlikely.

EDIT After posting my message the missing ones have appeared. It must be magic:))

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I have been doing it exactly how Spacebrother describes, ever since the board was revamped. I go into "Community" at the top, and then going into Products and then any individual releases I want to comment on. All this looks just the same as ever, and I assume this latest pearl of wisdom will appear in the expected place after I press the "save" button. Lets see...

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Coming back to the website the latest message I could see was from Dennis asking about the Hendrix boxset. I tried logging in and out and neither state allowed me to see newer messages, not even my own from this morning. I then tried going to the second page of comments on DaP 32 and saw the comment from Dennis there as well, going back to the first page and the newer comments were viewable. Curiouser and curiouser as Alice never said in the book.

For my post below I came in through a bookmark to the DaP32 page.
I then logged out (actually the system booted me out as I was moving to other pages, but the new site has always done that), deleted my browsing history, and manually typed in dead.net.
I then went to store.dead.net and checked out the Giants Box and DaP32 pages, which no longer had a Comments button. I then went to the PNW Box page, clicked the Comments button, and then the Post A Comment button where I logged in. I then clicked my avatar in the upper right, and clicked on Recent Posts, and came to this site.
Also under Recent Posts is The Rainbow Family forum page which has 2 huge new non-English language posts. So obviously the spam bots are not being deterred.

Also note that at the bottom of the dead.net page the recent comments section is also frozen.

The robots are taking over, and I still have to do reCRAPTCHA.......

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Speaking of the warehouse and shipping issues, I ordered a Halloween sweatshirt back in October and when I check the order number is just shows processing/not shipped. So the order is in but either the order is lost in the ether or the merchandise itself is either not available. Or perhaps both.

Anyone else in limbo with the Halloween merch? MaryE was unable to shed any light on the situation. She was gracious enough to offer me a refund, but i'd be willing to wait if I knew that eventually the order would be filled.

Anyone have any relevant info?

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

I really enjoy this NRPS BOX Set. Just sitting out here in Calif knocking back a few cold ones and having a good time.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

At the bottom of store.dead.net is a ‘BBB Accredited Merchant’ logo.
For those who haven’t received what they paid for, maybe it’s time to file a complaint with the BBB.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Maybe they are trying to figure out how to get rid of the long spam emails that make it past captcha that seem to hit between 3 and 6 a.m. eastern!! Didn't really get into the 30 Days of Dead this year for some reason... I don't know why. But I know when the black Friday sales post hit, people were having a difficult time finding the site.. Let's hope new decade will end warehouse problems and we just can go back to a scratch here and there!! I don't know how much Rhino generates a year in revenue, but Dave's Picks is over $2.2 million now with 22,000 available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Last 5:

Songs for Groovy Children/JH
The Later Years '87-'19 / Pink Floyd (single cd comp)
The Early Years Cre/ation'67-'72/ Pink Floyd (double CD comp)
Fleetwood Mac: Before the Beginning
The Band/Reissue-Remix

Dead

Dicks 8 (5/2/70)
Dicks 7 (9/9-11/74)
Dicks 6 (10/14/83)
Dicks 5 (12/26/79)
Dicks 4 (2/13-14/70)

Talkin' Deadnet Boxset Blues

Nothing was delivered
And I tell this truth to you
Not out of spite or anger
But simply because it’s true

(Now you know)
Nothing was delivered
And it’s up to you to say
Just what you had in mind
When you made ev’rybody pay

Nothing is better, nothing is best
Take heed of this and get plenty of rest

(Apologies and respect to Bob)

PMs are history.

Also, the comments tabs are gone on the product pages, they just removed them from the Subscription page and Giants Stadium. The only place you can access them is on the community section, which seems a bit cumbersome.

It's a less friendly place here these days and there does not seem to be a way to access Customer service anymore via MaryE, etc.

Something is awry. It could just be me, but it feels like the GD lost a little of it's heart and soul. I think this tactic is a grave mistake and I don't think it's a glitch anymore.

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Seems like maybe TPTB can't take the truthful honesty about the circus that their quality control, shipping fiascos and lack of customer service have become while they try and peddle the X-mas season goodies?
Truth hurts (sales) sometimes...
Here's to hoping it's just some tech problems and not a big F.U. to the most loyal fans in the history of fans.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I'm gonna disappear from here for a while. I think a certain someone who lives in a white house has got his hands on the GD operation, and is leaving his stain by withholding people's discs, taking away comments and PMs, and putting Marye out to pasture.

I'll subscribe as long as they offer it, but other than that, auf weidersehen.

Do check out 6/14/69 soon, gentlemen.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

So true. Well put.

Like biting the hand that feeds... and this will have an effect on sales.

As much as they might dislike the occasional diatribe that echos throughout these forums, most of the posts here push the whole conversation along and surely fuel interest. We are rabid, loyal fans. Much of the hype acts like a positive enforcing feedback loop. Do we have enough CD's, do I need that 73 Dark Star? The show will go on, but with less enthusiasm. ..and the kicker, they got all this hype and marketing for free.

Seems a bit unwelcoming.. perhaps un-grateful.

If this is not a snafu or glitch, it's a grave mistake. No business sense whatsoever..

Don’t forget the good faith email (I’ll post it below).

Didn’t the previous website get weird just before this new website appeared? And didn’t it happen over a weekend?

Hopefully they are building a new website. Maybe they should try AWS to host their store.
Probably should get some help on warehousing and shipping logistics too.
Hopefully we won’t have to create new accounts.

Here’s the email from 11/27.

——————————

'Cause when things go wrong, wrong with you, it hurts me too

It's been quite a year and we know how patient you have been, how patient you still are. It has always been, and will always be, our mission to provide the best service to you, the fans. As you are more than likely aware, a complex warehouse move resulted in a significant backlog of orders and while that warehouse is working as quickly as they can to deliver, we've turned 100% of our focus and dedication toward a new facility which promises to restore peace to the Dead.net community in the next few months. Trust us, this steam locomotive is rolling down the track!

....I use chrome and bookmark the threads. That's how I post my dribble. But yeah, the site for the best band in the land with the most loyal fans tooboot, shouldn't be this lame or hard to access.
I have met several heads here that I communicate with via other sources. Met some in person even.
These are the days between....
And PM's do work. PM me and I'll prove it!!!
The tab is half dosed Cone Kid.

I've only tried Edge and Chrome, but I cannot PM.. shoot me a PM VGuy. Lets see if it works.

I just sent you one, now.. It shows I sent a message to myself with no other participants. Sort of like PM'strabating.

Yes, bookmarks work, but the interface seems to be incompetently trying to remove this functionality one step at a time. They have removed the comments tabs from most of the Dave's Picks and Box Set forms. If you go to Store/Dave's Picks or Store/Box Sets or Store/Dave's Picks Subscription.. the comments tabs are gone from the source forms, which leaves us with History, Bookmarks or go the Community Thread and meander your way here.

....I would post my phone # or email address, but corrupt files or feinds might intrude. Thin ice.
The last pm I got was on 11/19 from Charlie3. Crickets since.

I didn't get any PMs.

I miss MaryE already.. where is our beloved den mother? What are we to do now? It's like that alternate universe Twilight Zone where if MaryE was there, we grew up nurtured, balanced, educated and focused and made real change in the world.. without her, we devolved into mayhem and pursued a life of crime aka the Wild Ones.

..and as a Senator, I would not advise posting your cell phone #. What good could become of that?

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Hoping Icecrmcnkd is right and this is just a maintenance or upgrade issue with the threads. Have to figure it they wanted to shut it down it would be pretty easy to just disconnect it completely, so that makes me think Icecrmcnkd is on point and things will get sorted out. As several of you guys have pointed out, I also suspect that these threads are more often a form of nearly free advertising, even with the complaints and discussion of issues related to release problems.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Check your PM.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It looks like you can reply to existing PMs but not create new ones? Weird.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

@Slow Dog Noodle and those still waiting or on the fence regarding refunds, etc. I got the shirt I ordered. It took 2 months, but it finally arrived. The quality is good and the design is very nice! Better late than never! :-)

P.S. Cars

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

I keep this short cut on my desktop and it takes me here everytime without captcha.

https://www.dead.net/recent

jrf68 - like I always say, everyone wants the truth until they don't agree with it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Everything seems ok to me... what IS all the fuss about?

Icecreamconekid - I began looking into that R40 video box set you mentioned.....it's titled Rush R40 box set, but I don't see the R40 tour video....is that accurate?

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I responded to a PM that Vguy sent me months ago. It appears to have gone through. We’ll see....
Let us know Vguy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by Dennis

That ‘recent’ bookmark you are using might be the way that the spam bots are getting in.

For anyone thinking of traveling to South East Asia, those spam bots know everything about getting a condo, hookers, etc......
Could be better than a travel agency.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Replying to an existing PM seems to work ok, but try creating a new one? It's just not working.

We will see what happens with comments, they do still work they just removed access to them from the product pages. The backdoors do still work, which is encouraging.

So no new PM’s but old ones still work, and the 2 most popular comment boards have been removed from the store front, but are accessible from the back door.
But other message boards are still open and spam bots are easily getting in.

And then at least one person (can’t look at who it was while I’m typing this) finally received a long-delayed store item.

I’m still optimistic for a website rebuild, a new online store with responsive customer service, and better warehouse and shipping logistics. And higher quality products from Rhino.
Is that too much to ask?

Been listening to a lot of torrent shows lately. I had been blowing off the torrent listening over the last few months because I was focused on the new official releases from this year, along with trying to do anniversary listens of officially released shows, along with Dicks Picks that I haven’t listened to in years.

Last several:
3-2-87 UM.82729 (playing now)
2-2-69 cotsman.9758
6-12-76 FM.100328
11-12-72 cotsman.9771
4-2-93 Carr (don’t know the id#)
8-22-72 Miller.27780
5-xx-68 currier.5427 - I recall the Caution being really cool. I need to investigate whether the date has now been determined for this show.

For those who haven’t done torrents before, I highly suggest you look into it. There’s a lot out there, and once you have it, you have it (as long as you make backups), so no need for streaming.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks for the link. It's just an odd marketing decision to name a box set collection of previously standalone concert videos "R40" and not include the the actual R40 video (which is aldo called "R40").

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I haven’t seen the single R40 video, but isn’t it a compilation of songs taken from the shows in the Box?

The back of the box says “over 2 hours of unreleased video footage”.
The BluRay quality is awesome, with the only issue being Rio which I think was recorded in 720p since that was hi-res at the time. But the audio on Rio is still good.
There’s a complete 2112, but the icing on the cake is the 70’s material on the bonus disc.

And now it’s $20 less than I paid last March.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html