• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • grass-shack-nailed

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

• docmarty
    Default Avatar

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
    I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
    pm me if interested

• samspade
    Default Avatar

I live in Sweden, in Stockholm. I had problems with Dave´s Picks Vol. 31, as many others, but it worked out well in the end. It took a long time to get vol. 32 - and I had to write once to the Dead - but now I received it today. I received Vol. 33 a week ago so hopefully this will work out fine in the future. By the way - Vol. 32 is terrific! A fine show from my favorite year.

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

I feel your pain. Me too. Still no Vol 32 and tracking showed the one they sent in the FAll went to multiple locations until it wound up somewhere in Indiana. I live in Ohio.

• nappyrags

Silly me...here I was all excited about finding a used copy of Dickus Pickus # 11 after hiding it for a week in the soft rock section of a used bookstore, when lo and behold I found a copy I had no memory of getting in a box of stuff I was sorting through over the weekend...sent if off to a friend who is unwise in the way of dead.net so it will be enjoyed but still...guess I gotta come up with some sorta spread sheet in my phone to avoid situations like this...silly me

• factorz
    Default Avatar

2/4 and still no copy of 32. Received Vol 33 which is great, but still nothing on this one. Original copy was sent to the wrong person (hope he is enjoying it), but where is my copy?? Paid in full but nothing to show for it. HELP ME!

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

How can this persist so long? Just meaningless email responses. Ship Vol 32! I have to believe if there was a warehouse problem then someone must be holding on to the CDs to get a bill paid. We're caught in the middle. Or what? At least give us an explanation. How can Dave not be getting to the bottom of this and fixing this mess by now? It's his namesake, so he should care.

• Scott-O
    Default Avatar

Got same message --- and my 33 came today. Not a happy camper.

• nappyrags

Bob is the best fake Bob out there...haaaa!!!

• LedDed

Someone here called Mayer "the best of the fake Jerrys." Well, he most certainly is. Slow tempos or not, that's a great band with the best live sound I've ever heard in a larger outdoor venue. So ticket prices are high, yes - they've got to pay themselves but they've also got to pay Mayer.

On official D&C recordings, it says "John Mayer appears courtesy of Columbia Records." Columbia is undoubtedly getting a little something off the top for their "courtesy."

I won't dig it up now, but you could find it - John Mayer earns substantially more per show as a solo artist than he does with Dead & Co. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between audiences - I really can't stand most of his solo work, but love him in D&C.

I would really like John to be in the band for the duration, at least for as long as all the current members remain playing together. That has to be less than ten more years and it could, in fact, end any time.

So I'll pay whatever to see what is without a doubt the last best live version of the Grateful Dead, along with the best of the fake Jerrys for as long as I possibly can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Ok purchased the last ten days or so...

Fleetwood Mac_Before the Beginning...live '68 & '70 shows spread over three discs
The Kinks_Arthur Box Set
Jimi_The Complete Band Of Gypsy's at The Fillmore East
Rolling Stones_Bridges to Buenos Aires
Various Artists_100 Blues Classics
Wes Montgomery_The Riverside years

plus a couple of new (to me) Charlie Miller boards from '74...can you tell it was just my birthday? and I have a few things still on the way....life is good....

You can make listening your new career once you have retired. Definite advantage to clocking on a bit.

I didn't know that the Complete Band of Gypsies had been released...maybe an appropriate one for Christmas.

Best non Dead listen for me has been The Final Bow box by The Pretty Things. A two cd, two dvd ( same music on cd as dvd) and 10" vinyl - signed copy if you are in the first 500. This was purportedly their final gig last December, and your humble correspondent was right in there. A tremendous gig and recording from one of Britain's best and most underrated r n b and psych bands of the 60s. Van Morrison and Dave Gilmour join the band-Dave Gilmour playing on no less than 6 tracks-including a roof raising 13+ minute version of Pretties classics LSD/Old Man Going. No home should be without one.

The actual name for the Hendrix box is "Songs For Groovy Children_The Fillmore East Concerts" Where they got that title I have no idea unless it's something Jimi says during one of the shows...I've had these shows on ok sounding board boots forever but it's nice to hear them this clean...

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

From 1973, check out 11/23/73 El Paso Coliseum. Only time they ever played in El Paso. The show wasn't circulated back in tape trading days, Dead Base VI only has that they played Weather Report Suite.... 3 versions on internet archive. Good quality... Good cool fall day show to listen. Good weekend everyone... bob t

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm feeling pretty grooovy this Saturday afternoon, and I hope you all are as well! (Anyone remember Gingerale Afternoon ((The Astrology of a Saturday)))? Anyways...

Thank Bob T for the 11/23/73 recommendation! I've never heard this one, and I plan on making it my "cooking a beef stew for an awesome night at home" show! For anyone interested, here is a link for one of the versions on LMA (though I don't know if it's the best... apologies.)

https://archive.org/details/gd73-11-23.sbd.orf.194.sbeok.shnf

That 2nd set looks super tasty! He's Gone>Truckin'> TOO>Space(9:46! might just be a sick jam!)> Bobby McGee, Eyes! That run alone makes me salivate, and the rest of the setlist, on paper (or screen) looks just as great. Casey Jones 2nd set closer?

Also, I've been knocked out, once again, by the Arrowhead show from the Summer of 78 box set. What a great, high energy performance! IMO, and many of you all here, it's the best of the box. Worth the price, twice over.

My lovely wife is staring at me because I should have been out of the door 15 minutes ago... she wins again :)

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Thanks, it is the next show after the Denver shows. Wait until you listen to the Eyes of the World. It is stand alone because someone breaks a string. You can hear the China Doll that never happened!! It sounds like the end of the Eyes of the World from 8/6/74 Roosevelt Stadium without Bob yelling at the fence climbers.. November and December 1973 are just so mellow.. Bob t
PS the one song that they sort of forgot to play was Mississippi Half Step based on their location!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Nappyrags...I've only got the official releases concerning the Band Of Gypsies, so this is a no brainer for me. When I have bootlegs, or semi official Hendrix releases, I am always in two minds as to whether I want the newer version. Case in point being the Winterland October 1968 shows. I got a 6cd set of the complete run, in variable sound, on the Reclamation label, so have never got round to buying the official 3cd release. I have often wondered how much better the official version sounds compared to the one I've got.

Incidentally, one of the few advantages of record shops being replaced by online ordering is that at least we no longer have to suffer the humiliation of going into an actual shop, to ask an actual person if they have something with a title like "Songs For Groovy Children"!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Not much happening here. Except Dap 21 playing.

Youtube 7 31 71

Talkers...why do people talk so much DURING concerts? Dark Star...the universe is being explained right in front of them, and these guys are blaaaaaabbing. Grr...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I just wondered if there was any way of removing that rubbish from cvabitrass.. whatever. Not only is it rubbish...its long rubbish!

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Watch 11/24/78 Capital Theatre!!! Closed circuit tv broadcast..... the good old days.. First show that i got with an Ollin Arageed, back in 1985.. Good tapes were in circulation because of the radio broadcast.. man that was a giant spam post that came through!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Todays palate-cleansing 30DOD entrée (https://www.dead.net/30daysofdead):
An almost 43 minute "He's Gone>Truckin'>The Other One".
Hint: A trio of classic Grateful Dead songs from 1972, 1970, and 1967, assembled into a perfect jam sequence

Anybody figure these out (Keithfan?) Don't spoil it for the rest of us, just a simple nod will do ;-)

(WOW! Just got a pass from Captcha – no whack-a-mole-ing of traffic lights!)

I wish I could deal with things as efficiently as that.

Oh..its still there. Not to worry . Thanks anyway-why not.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Went and ordered The Pretty Things - Final Bow. I know I got a fart in a wind storm chance of getting a signed copy, but it was limited regardless.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Revisited DP 1 12/19/73 yesterday, some good stuff on there. That was probably the first non-album Here Comes Sunshine that I ever heard, and just the whole live '73 sound was sort of a revelation. The shows I attended were mid-80's and the tapes I had were mostly early '80s shows of varying completeness and sound quality, so DP 1 was really something different for me when it first came out. Listening to it now made me wonder what the rest of the show was like, and wondering if DaP 32 would have been released as a partial show like some of the other early DPs if it had been released at that time. Personally I'd rather get complete shows, even if they are a little uneven, rather than a version of a show edited to leave the perceived highlights. Sometimes the lowlights have something cool to add to the show, and sometimes not everyone agrees on which parts are the highlight. Just my rambling thoughts on a Sunday morning.

I hope you like it, Dennis. I have to be honest, I like it more with each passing day. The dvd is fantastic...the live cds have gaps between the songs like on Dead down loads, gawd knows why. If you got a limited edition, maybe you will get a signed copy. Its a bit late to say now, but I got mine from Burning Shed-a bit cheaper last week than Amazon.
I have seen The Pretty Things in various small venues over the last 10 years or so, and the singer and guitarist Phil May and Dick Taylor always hang around afterwards signing whatever you like and having a laugh and a chat. Really nice people.

That's it for me with box sets for this year. Although I do keep casting my beady eye in the direction of this 6cd Complete Mighty Baby set that has just come out.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Bob, I got through most of the show last night working on dinner (more slowly than I needed to...) and then the rest of the show (Bobby McGee thru the end) this morning. Agreed, that is a great Eyes! Also agreed, Fall/Winter 73 is such a mellow, wonderfully jazzy, exploratory period for the band - it's my personal favorite kind of 73 (sorry Spring!) I recently went through the Winterland box, and I've been rocking the Denver Road Trips in the car since Thursday (that disc 2 is something else!), so your suggestion was quite timely and appreciated :)

On another note, I was just up in the shower, thinking about Fall/Winter of 73, and then I start thinking about releases from this period... other than the Winterland Box and the Denver Road Trips, the only other one I could come up with was Dick's volume 1 (I'm sure I'm missing some, but...) Anyway, I log on here again, and there is a post by Charlie3 about Dick's 1 and the compilation style format of the early releases! I love the serendipity of this site! Or, it might be that we are actually just some sort of hive-mind.

So, here's the question I was thinking about: If any one of the Dick's that was chopped up to the highlights were to be re-released as the whole show, maybe something like The Complete Dicks series (couldn't help myself :), which would it be? I think volume 1 is a strong contender, or perhaps volume 12, that 74 monster....

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday. No Ravens today, so I'm not sure what to do with my time...

Peace

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

GD Hartford CT 3/18/90
GD DaP8 Atlanta GA 11/30/80
GD Paris 5/4/72
GD Aoxomooxoa bonus disc
GD DaP32 Philly 3/24/73

Also...
GD DP2 10/31/71
GD Ready or Not
GarciaLive 11 Providence RI 11/11/93

and...
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC

OK OK that's not five, life is good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Glad you liked it!! Late 1973 releases are interesting!! After the Nov Winterland shows, a lot has been released but some have been fragmented.
11/14/73 San Diego Released in 30 Trips complete
11/17/73 Los Angles complete Dave Picks
11/20/21/73 Denver Road Trips incomplete
11/30/12/02/73 Boston Dick's Picks 14 incomplete
12/4/73 Cincinnati Bonus Disk Winterland Box incomplete
12/6/73 Cleveland Bonus Disk Road Trips incomplete
12/10/73 Charlotte Download Series complete
12/19/93 Tampa incomplete

Hope that helps. Bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

1.-The who- meaty beaty big and bouncy 2.-Pink floyd- atom heart mother 3.-The Beatles-Rubber soul 4.-The rolling stones-sticky fingers 5. The association. Bonus- Sam kinison-has anyone seen me lately? Aaaahhh AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by carlo13

Please Dave
Please

With 2 17 73's HCS > CCS > IKYR as filler on disc 4

Yeah baby

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by bob t

Thanks, brother! How could I have forgotten about Dave's 5?!?! One of my all time faves!

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Rodgers, being battle-tested and a proven Super Bowl Champion should prevail over that west coast poser, Jimmy G.

But we'll see.

In the meantime, we've been rocking in the rockies:

Iron Maiden / Somewhere Back In Time: The Best Of 1980 -1989

Jack Bruce / A Question Of Time

Mark Lanegan / Bubblegum

AC/DC / Powerage

ZZ Top / Eliminator

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

AC/DC - Back In Black
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are?
Deep Purple - Deep Purple
GOGD - Dick's 29. 5.21.77
GOGD - Ready Or Not
-----
I wish the Patriots would just go away. Sorry Carlo.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I support white rhino research by donating money I would otherwise spend on cigars. The white rhinos are also extinct except for 2 non-fertile females, but the scientists have viable female eggs that have been fertilized by another type of rhinos in hope of bringing back the white rhinos. Please help these poor rhinos. They are really great animals. Peace

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

We get that a lot. No problem V.

You are a kind soul and a great presence here.

..but try and cut VGuy some slack. You have to understand.. before Mrs. VGuy, there was Gisele.. and Tom Brady ripped her away from Vegas and our beloved Senator for peace and legal weed. I bet once those restraining orders expire (Tom can be so harsh) or she comes to her senses and files for divorce.. everything will get back to normal.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I did not know vguy was still pining for her. -Vguy remember the breakup rule. It takes half the time of the original relationship to get over it. Ha.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

11/25/73 Tempe AZ turns 46 today. A nice little show..

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by carlo13

So close...but...

Tom Brady and the Patriots are truly charmed. 90% of people on earth live real lives. 99% of sports teams live the reality of a kick in the balls from time to time. Not Tom and his buds.

Charmed. The only word to describe it.

Except that time they had their perfect season crunched. THAT was cool (for a non-Patriots fan).

But really. Charmed. Unbelievably charmed.

move away from sports, self. move away...

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Don't forget Dick's 14 from 11/30 and 12/2. Not full shows but really good shows and the sound quality for this release from 20 years ago is awesome. Kind of surprised me when I went back to have a listen to this one last week.
Also spent some time with the Dave's 25 yesterday from November 77, man I love this show, so great and the banter back and fourth is classic. I still think this one is better than the Colgate show, energy just seems different. Can't wait for DeKalb!
I still don't have Dick's 34, the Rochester show from the same tour.
I would be interested to know how this one stacks up against The Colgate and Binghamton shows. I think the PA reel on DP 34 gave me second thoughts.
Peace!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

That Playing in the Band>Jam>Mind Left Body from 12/2 is one for the ages.

The only release that both starts and ends with a Morning Dew.., one big MDew sandwich I suppose. I liked the second one better. Funny.. my memory is that this sounded a little muddy and they got crisper as Jeffrey Norman added to his bag of tricks, but my memory is a funny thing. I don't lean on it very often for good reason.

Hey.. DVikes, check your pm.

Also, this just in.. free livestream for JRad tonight. I you haven't checked them out before, try and fit it in. They have a hard-driving, high-energy approach to Grateful Dead music. They can catch fire when planets align just right.

https://jambands.com/news/2019/11/14/free-livestream-the-relix-channel-…

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Made it to Eyes of the World so far..... Always like Bob at the end of the show telling everyone to dig the sunset.... Thanks for the reminder... bob t

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html