• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I had a dream last nite that they put out a new release. and it was from the early 90's.
user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

O8 22 93 Jack Straw -> Bertha Little Red Rooster Broken Arrow Althea Masterpiece Tennessee Jed Music Never Stopped Help on the Way -> Slipknot -> Franklin's Tower Samson and Delilah Ship of Fools Corina -> Drums -> Space -> The Wheel -> I Need a Miracle -> The Days Between -> Not Fade Away Liberty
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I think VGuy was at this one, I know it has come up on these boards before.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Money Honey - Bay City Rollers Money - Pink Floyd Money (That's What I Want) - Doors, Beatles, God knows who else... Is it the root of all evil? I don't know. I just want enough not to worry about it. I am a man of simple pleasures, my family, my guitars, a cocktail and a beautiful day. As far as the Dead & Co., to be a big boy about it, the three original members obviously have the gravitas and the clout to carry this enterprise. It's not that much of a stretch to call it some variation of "Dead," with Bill and Mickey and especially Bob out there. I would love Phil to be in it, but look at the man's health history. He's almost fucking 80 and just can't. But he did do Monterey and he does things and has that cool little space in San Rafael. John Mayer was a pop star in his own right and though a turn-off to some older Dead fans, he's a connection to younger generations of customers... er, music fans, and obviously a draw at the gate. Oteil and Jeff are incredible, just as important to the sound of this band yes, but they aren't going out alone and calling it Dead and anything... dead in the water maybe. My guess is the big four are getting a nearly equal percentage, and Oteil and Jeff a handsome salary. It is what it is. They aren't complaining, so why would we?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....yes. Yes I was. The (in)famous show when Bobby smashed his pink Ibanez into splinters while Jerry extended his solo to cover (and mighty well at that. I miss you Jer). That was also the show where the stage turned into a castle during HSF and I saw buckets of molten metal being poured over the sides, but that's a different story for another time....oh, and there were some boob sightings.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

150 years young today! Have a grateful long weekend.
user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

I've stopped trying to read all the posts I've missed, but looking through the topics I thought I'd just pop my head in the door and say "hi" to y'all. I saw my first Dead and Company show last Saturday night, at Citifield. I really wanted to hate it. I tried. While it didn't blow me out of the water (I've got Dead recordings for that), it did put me back in the spirit of things. I met a lot of cool people and heard Oteil sing Comes a Time. In all perspective, a beautiful way to spend a summer evening. Poor Bobby sounds like his voice went out of style with his Daisy Duke shorts. I took a vacation from the Dead after my last show in 1991, listening here and there, but not really tuned in until a few years ago when that calling happened again. :P My best conclusion is "The Deader the Better." I feel better this way. I'm a deadhead. I have a question: why is The Main Ten called the The Main Ten? Is it anything like why the Eleven is called The Eleven? Happy Weekend! edit: we need a new message thread. When is that Dave's Picks 23 coming out?
user picture

Member for

10 years

Wow thank you for recommending the Rock Joint Biwa and Cither albums, I had not heard either of those!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

do sbd/matrix copies of 10/5/84 circulate?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Hola Amy, yep.. you were right, a ten beat Mickey Creation. "The Main Ten was a ten-beat Mickey Hart riff the Dead started playing in mid-'68. It popped up in shows now & then for a couple years, when they felt like taking an excursion. It also appeared on Hart's first album Rolling Thunder. It's strange to hear this riff today, when it's so identified with Playing in the Band, but in its original incarnation it embodies a mysterious, otherworldly feeling." There's more on this on the early thematic jamming research on the Grateful Dead Guide (deadessays.blogspot.com, see link). My favorite source for all things GD, especially the early stuff. Glad somebody can remember 1968... http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/01/deads-early-thematic-jams.html Glad you had fun.. your exodus almost exactly matches mine.. but my reemergence just celebrated its tenth birthday. I am glad I opened my ears and dove back in.. at a certain point, its in your bones, mind and blood. Kyle, I can probably put my hands on a matrix from 10/5.. give me some time, this weekend's all booked.. all the rivers are running. VGuy, congratulations.. Nevada is now a recreational state.
user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

Ah, thanks for the link Jim. Sort of the "missing link" in a way. I love how links lead to links and lead to other links and before I know it, I'm in a Feelin' Groovy jam of my own, and forgetting where I began. The Internet is good for that. . . And I listened to a few Dark Stars too.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I revisited this one after reading recent posts...good show but completely lifeless, muddy sound!Check out the Charlie Miller on the Archive, it's like day and night; on the other hand the '84 Trip still sounds just exactly perfect.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

On the way from Utah to Lake Tahoe. There seemed to be some smoke in the air, but there weren't any forest fires nearby. Hmmm, wonder what it could have been.... :)
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Whenever Lazy Lighnting/Supplication comes up, I skip ahead. I can't bear it. Those songs don't even sound like Dead material. It's just a stiff uptempo thing for Bob and Donna Jean to scream off-key over. I would imagine Bob brought those in. I haven't done my homework and I may be wrong but they don't feel like Jerry songs. Garcia gamely solos all over them but the grooves are shit. I haven't noticed Dead and Co. go near those, or a few other Weir turds (Weather Report Suite, for instance). They seem to be going back to the good stuff. I like how Bob sings some Jerry songs. It's touching. He's also grey as hell, with the beard, and he wears a lot of black T-shirts. God Bless him, feels like a bit of a tribute.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....first, Lazy Lightning Supplication is not crap. Second. I have a receipt in my hand for pot. A receipt for pot. Half of the receipt is warnings of usage. I've commandeered that ship long enough to know the rules. Kinda funny. I wasn't going to miss buying weed legally on the first day available for all the kush in the world. The line was 1 1/2 hrs long, but it didn't seem like it. Reminded me of standing in line for concert tix back in the day. The people in line with me made up a broad spectrum of society in my eyes. Male to female. 50/50. Ages were 21 to 60. Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, tall, short. It was pretty awesome....there was even a guy wearing a KISS tee
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

Weir's songwriting contributions to the GD catalog are foundational. I dare say that 99.5% of Deadheads love and admire and support Bob Weir for all his talents, including his devotion to his craft. I don't appreciate the manner in which a previous opinion was expressed. There's a better way to communicate.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

C'mon... seriously? I love Bob - we all love Bob. Bobby is all of us, he succeeded, man, he kept at it and got un-thrown-out of the band, and goddamn hell yes he blossomed into the very force that is keeping the Good Ship Grateful Dead & Co. sailing along across the millennial sunsets... There was no disrespect intended, just love for the baby brother.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Wish I lived in a cool state....(still)....used to live in Reno, biggest little city in the world.Reno is so close to hell you can see Sparks. :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

didn't know if anyone generally knew this or not but Dead & Company shows are available for download and cd format at nugs.net
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Hey all, Just got back from Chicago for 2 nights of Dead and Co. Thought I would ramble on the topic a bit. I have seen at least 2 shows in 15, 16, and now 17 from this band, and this tour has by far been the best. They are letting Oteil and JM who are clearly world class musicians that love this music push the pace and it is a breath of fresh air. The setlists are creative and enjoyable and I think most agree this band has been the best post 95 dead music we have seen. I enjoyed both nights but Friday more so than Saturday. Saturday was sold out, which is kind of a big deal. There are not many acts selling out stadiums these now and days. One thing I have to comment on is all the chatter at these shows. I am sure that people have been talking about dumb shit at shows since 66 and I am the first to admit that I am getting older and crankier, but all the talking really dampens my experience and it is out of control. A girl behind was litterally screaming in my ear asking her friend "what hashtag she was using" while Otiel was singing China Doll. NIght 2 you cold hardly hear the acoustic Dark Start becuase of the talking. Maybe it is more casual fans coming to shows, more beer, and less LSD? Whatever it is, when people drive across 3 states for a concert it would be nice to take it in without all the distractions. I won't even start on people holding up thier bright phones up every song for video they will never use when the concert is being professionally recordered. I ended up moving around a bit and finding good energy for both shows. Speaking of Oteil singing........ I love it. China Doll was out of this world on Friday night, though I don't think he is the best choice for Fire. I was talking to a head on the L after the Saturday show about Days Between. I always have mixed feelings about that tune being played after drums space, which is where I think it almost always landed in the 90's? But I could be mistaken. I enjoy the tune and know it has a lot of meaning. I also thnk it is one Jerry song bobby sings really well but I wouldn't mind seeing it in the beginning of the second set or in the 1st set. That place was ready to rock Saturday and I would have loved a Dew, Eyes, or Throwing Stones. Then again, DB has been in my head all day and it was special. Ahhhhh, mixed feelings again. Any thoughts out there on that tune? All in all an amazing tour. Congrats to dead co for making that happpen. They were clearly all having fun and will all go home with a little money in their pockets. It means a lot to me to have Bob, Mickey, and Bill on stage together.
user picture

Member for

15 years

This is a very good song from Weir's "Kingfish" album. The Dead did a good version of it. When I saw the Dead in the 70s,everyone was stoned and tripping. We wanted to listen to the music. All of this digital garbage didn't exist.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

When I got into the Dead, I picked songs I liked to put in a mix. I didn't really ever listen to complete shows at first, because there were some styles I didn't care for, especially the ballads and country westerns. I used to skip over Weather Report Suit when it came to choosing songs for a mix. One day it accidentally came on, and I couldn't believe what I had been missing. Then I couldn't believe how many different copies of it I had in my library to explore. I think it's Weir's greatest accomplishment, because it's a great progessive rock song, and I imagine it's much more difficult to write a 3 part song that lasts 16 minutes than a short song like Sugar Magnolia (my 2nd favorite Weir song). To each their own of course, I just figured Weather Report Suite was a must-have for all Deadheads.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I know that feeling quite well.. from time to time I still run into things that I overlooked for years. As for Weather Report Suites... I don't think I have met one I did not like.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

A 'polished turd' or some of the finest lyrics in all of RocknRoll ? "What shall we say, shall we call it by a name, As well to count the angels dancing on a pin." Whatever. I'll just be polite and say to each their own, and thanks for sharing.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I thought that quote summed it up very nicely. I've ALWAYS loved that line, you come out of an incredible jam, lost in the wave of sound and bam,, "what shall we say....". If you've never had tears of joy stream your face at a show, you were doing the wrong acid!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

"...See the sun sparkle in the reeds, silver beads, pass into the sea...." I don't know if we ever discussed our go-to getaway tapes after a show, with a lingering headful and many miles ahead. Reflections, Wake of the Flood, Kingfish and Garcia self titled and Compliments. And 6/18/74. Oh yes that one.... And a recommendation for Lazy Lightning > Supplication, from 1-08-79.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

These were songs I skipped for a long time, too. Now I like LL and can't get enough Weather Report. In particular, the lyrics to WRS have brought me a lot of solace in the last 6 months when I've been feeling low about the ways/direction of the world. There's a timelessness in them (like most of Hunter's lyrics) that provides perspective, and refocuses vision of what is essential.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

1985-12-31 - This is the one. Soundboard on archive. https://archive.org/details/gd1985-12-31.sbd.miller.78054.sbeok.flac16 This is the one they won't let go of. Ok, just got done listening to this one again,,,WOW. This is the show that should be Dap 23. This is the 80's I know. There is a vengeance to Jerry's playing on this cut, the song take a dark downturn at the 7-ish minute mark, by 8.5 minutes the whole band the tension level is up to 11, everyone is just pounding on this musical moment and Jerry wailing away and bang Jerry resolves all that tension with just those dozen or so notes that dumps you out into the quiet of the lagoon from the incredible wave you rode in on. What shall we say, indeed! If you're heart ain't racing by the end of this one, you're dead. (and maybe not the good way) off to Roger Waters,,, Us & Them. (like always :-) )
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Right on Dennis.. First, very jealous about Waters.. I wanted to see him this time around. About later era Let It Grows, couldn't agree with you more, some of the 80's versions absolutely kill it. I treat 74 WRS's and Let It Grow's as different songs almost. They just are not the same. Its great to see 1974 somehow takeover the 77 GSTL and Dave's Picks 22 threads at the same time. I'm not scairt. Happy 4th all, stay safe, have fun and play dead.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Mixed with a Row Jimmy, Black Throated Wind, Playing in the Band, and Eyes of the World.... I just never get tired of hearing these from 1974... Everything just blends so well that year.. especially from London to Winterland
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

has a serious Not Fade Away
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....'71-'73 were crunchy and hard. '76-79 Bertha's were smooth and silky. I get it, but I don't get it, if that makes any sense. Just push play and strap in..... Edit. Yeah. I jumped from WRS to Bertha. It was actually pretty simple....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July (and to our friends in the UK and beyond...happy Tuesday). Enjoying all the talk about WRS and 1974 in general. I love every tape i have from that year. Really does all blend so nicely together. Almost as if you are in a dream state. All the Wake of the Flood stuff really comes into it's own. WRS is beautiful and fits perfectly with that era. It probably would have been out of place post hiatus (especially 77 and 78) but happy Let It Grow evolved so much over the years. Not only one of my favorite Bobby songs...one of my favorite songs in general. Looking forward to the next release like everyone else, but not in a huge rush - thankfully we have so much material to keep us occupied in the meantime. This week i've been diving into my Warfield/Radio City stuff. Sound quality is a bit of a mixed bag (the shows i have from that run are pre-charlie miller) but really enjoying the acoustic sets. Especially Rosalie McFall and China Doll which are just beautiful night in and night out.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

That's a great show.You're right... awesome NFA. Also has an incredible Let It Grow - maybe my favorite all-time version.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the one day of the year that you'll find me listening to only the Grateful Dead, guaranteed. The best American band by a landslide. You go boyz!!....have fun today people!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

yeah I realized that after I typed that everyone was talking about weather report suites. I think its a better one than on dicks 25 actually. I used to be against it in the 70's only because they stopped playing weather report suite in its entirety
user picture

Member for

15 years

Have a Grate day Deadheads, Wave the Flag!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

There is a great audience recording that I have had since the mid 80's that always amazes me. Not only for the great sound quality but about a minute into the Prelude someone yells Dark Star... I always wondered if it was someone that saw when the did Weather Report Prelude in 72 or early 73 before Dark Star... Doesn't sound like a random "Freebird" yell for Dark Star so far into the song... Just curious, and then they follow it a few songs later with a Playing in the Band that wouldn't fit on a side of a Maxell XL II 90 minute tape!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

also 4/22/78 is non too shabby either. i'm giving a relisten today with attentive ears. so far it has a great candyman, looks like rain and Tennessee Jed. and if you're a keith fan this Tennessee Jed is for you Keith does some great playing on it.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

"China Cat Sunflower -> I Know You Rider" ~ 6.20.74 !!!!! WRS ~ September 1973 !!!!! Has some really nice ones "Lazy Lightning -> Supplication" double dose 4.22.78 and 5.10.80 !!!!! Kyleharmon , not sure if there is a matrix of 10.5.84. But it's a very cool show and surprising it mentioned here. I really like that show a lot. But like most other shows from 1984 I have a soft spot for. This recording was part of Jeebs Stash. I hope to see it cleaned up and released but there is a lot of hot October 1984 performances, so I would imagine it's going to take a backseat for a few others. 10.14.84 is very nice , most likely will see that before the Charlotte tour opener
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

oh it doesn't have to be a matrix I usually say SBD Matrix I mean either matrix or soundboard as to expand my options of actually getting a show. I don't care if its a matrix I mean 5/16/81 is pretty much a matrix and It is an official release and Its one of my fave shows. I've talked about it too much in here. but all I gotta say is if you listened to 5/16/81 and didn't think too much of it the first time or didn't stick with you pull it out give it another listen it might grow on you that time. hell I talked a LOT of shit about dave's 22 went back listened to it and it really wasn't that bad of a release pretty decent actually. I wont say its a show with great clarity like 9/18/74 on 30 Trips but sometimes its the crappy quality shows that have some of the biggest stories to tell musically and grow on me (Dicks picks 83 show being an example for me) and have a soft spot for. and I mean crappy in a good way.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I've got a lot of catching up to do!!!
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

some excellent audience recordings and has soundboard source as well. here is a couple https://archive.org/details/gd84-10-05.sbd.sacks.2591.sbeok.shnf/gd84-1… https://archive.org/details/gd1984-10-05.nak300.holtz.gems.87757.sbeok… https://archive.org/details/gd1984-10-05.127551.set1.schoeps.oade.BCE.f… - only 1st set just curious what brought your attention to this show ? besides the fact its the Grateful Dead. it looks like an average show just by checking out some of the setlist. but if you listen closely Captain Trips is in fine form and the 1984 sound is sure to bring a few chills up and down the spine "the carpet too is moving under you, and It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" +*+*+ "Forget about the dead you've left, they will not follow you"
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

5.12.80 , correct date. 5.10.80 , incorrect date I had posted in thread earlier. this show is certainly worth checking out for other reasons. A very unique second set sequence
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html