• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

More than a couple times I've almost posted a show from each year that's on my wish list. So anyways, here's a few that hopefully will one day be released, as a Dave's Picks or in some form or another:4/23/69 9/19/70 12/5/71 10/18/72 5/26/73 (6/10/73) 5/25/74 10/1/76 2/26/77 (10/29/77) 4/15/78 (1/22/78) 11/30/79 An '80 Fall Acoustic/Electric show 2/26/81 8/10/82 4/26/84 7/4/84 6/30/85 7/29/88 9/29/89 (Spectrum 10/18-20/89) 6/23/90 12/12/90 Well, so much for stopping after a few.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Yes. That's what I was trying to get to. Not better per se different. Which I do find refreshing!Walkers Wood as you know is one huge fave in LooLand. I'm glad you enjoy it. As for politics, there may be better places to discuss it , true, however as long as folks stay civil, thenl you can hit damn near any topic. But it does seem to devolve quickly eh? Strangely I am one of the most easy going, liberal leaning, lifetime NRA Republicans you'd ever want to meet, LOL. My logic in a nutshell. And if it harms no one, do as you will. Some of you know that line I'm sure. I don't wanna be in your bedroom, kitchen, attic, or any private place. All I ask is you don't preach to me. Sorry, that's TMI. Y'all are cool, and it's a blast dropping by the clubhouse from time to time.
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Ok folks, stay with me for a moment. Every time I hear a late 70's version of Dancing In The Streets, (I DO like those "disco" versions). I get a mental picture of Ted Danson dancing in a street.Please stay with me. Alright, hear it this way; Danson, Danson Danson in the streets... My idea is that someone should shoot a video of different celebrities Danson in the streets. I invision different celebrates in different cities. Wouldn't it be cool to have many of the actors be related to Ted Danson, and then decrees of separation. For example, from the cast of Cheers you get Rhea Perman, but hey, why not Danny Devito? If Danny, then the cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...IN PHILADELPHIA. Before you know it, you've seen dozens of famous people dancing in the streets of their home towns! By the end, I envision a crowd, led by Ted, dancing in Times Square with lots of other celebrities included. The whole thing would be for charity. In keeping with the street theme, it could be for homeless or hunger or ASPCA. Hollywood producer/deadhead are you listening?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I get it Erik. It would be cool to get the That 70's Show cast together to do that in the basement, then have Red march down the stairs threatening to shove his foot up all their asses. Hyde then hand him a "brownie" as Kitty laughs. All is good in the world....edit. That was one of my fave sitcoms in recent history. Hot Donna. Lol....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

"Danson" in the Streets. There should be a whole band with Cumberlance Armstrong for the bicycle space jam. Doin That Raggedy Ann and It Must Have Been Rose McGowan on Trombone. And Vera Wang Dang Doodle with Thelonius Monkey and the Engineer for percussion. Well, I'll show myself out.
user picture

Member for

15 years

I see this new Dead e-mail in inbox, I'm excited, the new Dave's Picks,I open it up and it's an ad for the Amazon soundtrack on LP, I was disgusted, that is a hodge podge of already released Dead material. Maybe good for someone that just got into the Dead, but I don't wanna see it. My first vinyl was 45s, Beachboys, Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark five,you know ,Bubblegum. I really think my first LP was "Meet The Beatles",I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan, they were really awesome. My dad was really into music, He was into big band music. Remember when stereos were like furniture, well ,Dad had just gotten a new one and I got the old one, very cool, have a good day!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Don't click on the link. And a stupid spammer too, doesn't even know how to spell johnson.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Yea.. it looks like Amazon is trying to get into the dead. Weird. I got that same email and opened it with curiosity.. then saw a tap dance for the soundtrack. It just seems out of place on vinyl to me.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I found this mention pretty clever, so: well done. I recall on the Drew Carry show, they would do these little dance numbers through the city - that is sort of what is being described, but with a massively cool cast. I would contribute to the kickstarter for this campaign. VGuy - I also enjoyed That 70's Show (and yeah Donna....). That show was so chalk-full of great references: Star Wars all over the place; Hyde's GD shirts; the "circle" in the basement with smoke wafting just out of the frame; Red's foot in everyone's ass. Good stuff people! Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Whenever making shrimp/seafood tacos I add my homemade mango salsa. First, add olive oil to skillet and heat. Add minced garlic cloves and a freshly minced cayenne pepper or two and shrimp. Brown shrimp and add chili powder, cumin. In another skillet I'll fry soft corn tortillas. For the mango salsa I keep it simple. Peel and dice a couple of mangos. Add a couple of minced habanero peppers, cilantro and lime juice. Mix well. When preparing tacos I'll use cabbage slaw instead of lettuce for some added crunchy texture. I might also grill some green onions for good measure. Also, grilling marinated shrimp works quite nicely as well. ....so yeah, hopefully the next Dave's Pick will be from the '80's or '90's. I love all era's but need more from the latter ones. Bring on the Spring '89 tour!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I wonder what will happen if I click on this link that spammer Johnshon has provided. Hmmm...
user picture

Member for

8 years

Dude, Spacebrother, I think I have to make those now that I read that recipe. They sound amazing. I too would be up for some spring 89, specifically 4/16/89 Milwaukee... Thoughts anyone? Edit: also 4/12/89.. tasty set
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I'd go with Cal Expo 8.5.89. One More Sat night Cold Rain & Snow We Can Run Stagger Lee Stuck Inside Of Mobile Row Jimmy Let It Grow . Pocky Way-> Playin'-> I Know You Rider-> Terrapin-> Drumz-> Space-> Standing On The Moon-> Throwing Stones-> NFA . U.S. Blues . . Biased 'cause I was there. Grate show. Note the Playin'->Rider....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Half StepMinglewood Candyman Big River Built To Last Queen Jane We Can Run Bird Song . China Cat-> I Know You Rider-> Man Smart, Women Smarter Standing On The Moon Estimated-> I Will Take You Home-> Drumz-> Space-> Eyes Of The World-> Miracle-> Black Peter-> Lovelight . Box Of Rain . . Also biased 'cause I was partially there. This show is the infamous (to me) "Vguy was 12 sheets to the wind" show. Airto & Flora during drumz into a silky Eyes. I woke up on another planet post drumz. I was signing autographs after the show....with my mind
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

I always thought the 10/12 and 10/13 shows were pretty intense ...but I guess that wouldn't make a good release. From what I remember, they're kinda short shows and almost identical setlist. How 'bout a vinyl release of one of these for next record store day? :o))
user picture

Member for

15 years

I was going to a Dr appt, today, when I got on the elevator, there was a button that said "Help On The Way". I said to myself, Wow, you can listen to the GD on this elevator.Then I said, I don't trust this, I never saw them play HOTW by itself, I have heard them play "FT" by itself, never seen them play "S" by itself, next time ,I will check out what song they have listed, maybe if it's like "Estimated Prophet, I will check it out. I'm thinking that next Daves Pick will be 79 or 72. Have a Great Day,,
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Yes, some 1968 please. With guacamole and a side of hot sauce.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Big time post with your taco recipe. Thank you. As you mention, cabbage is the way to go over lettuce for the added texture. Keep up the good work.
user picture

Member for

15 years

I heard from a rather unreliable source that Dave L has been sighted in California trying to make it out to his spot on the water for something, but it was raining too hard. The unreliable source is a carrier pigeon with a go-pro camera. He might turn into a meal soon. BTW, today is National French Fry day, McDonalds has some good deals!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I will never know coz I ain't gonna click on yer link! Edit: And now I can't know coz your post has gone footsie! That didn't take long!
user picture

Member for

10 years

If the next one is from the 80s, then I would want something other than 87-89. Id like to see something from fall 83 or 84, 9/06/83 and 10/12/83 are some examples of what I'd like to see released. I do feel like an 82-85/91-95 is about due, and would like to see atleast a few from those years eventually.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

back-to-back ny show releases. could be a northeast sweep subscription! suite! bringing home the beacon!
user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

I've been sampling tacos lately here on the East Coast for a while, not really known for its tacos but hey we are catching on. So my favorite is shrimp tacos, followed by fish tacos. Now, I know how some of you feel about fish in a taco. Done right with the right condiments, you've got yourself a tasty flavor explosion. Cabbage, yes. Lettuce, no way. The tangier the cabbage, the better. Ground beef, taco HELL, or any of that ...not for me. I do think Spacebrother's recipe is right up my alley. So how does this relate to the Grateful Dead? Well, tacos are like Dead shows. No two are alike, and we all have our favorites. And they are full of different flavors and textures. And they are very satisfying. Just like Dead shows. Peace! :)
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Sweltering temps around here these past couple of days. Could this be the reason for the overall sluggishness of the boards? Or is that more about the general lull that usually accompanies the lead up to the next announcement? I would like to give a big shout out to Dennis W. for hooking me up with some of the missing pieces in my collection. Thank you! I have been enjoying those shows for the past few days as I hide in the air conditioned comfort of my living room. In terms of the next release, I know that I have mentioned it before, but I would really love a release featuring a nice fat Shakedown. Hard to believe it would be the first in the series! I've got the steak marinating as I type, getting ready for, you guessed it, TACO NIGHT! Peace
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

whats playing today? 5/19/77 Fox Theater. has a pretty sweet Sugaree. the southern tourdates were just as important.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Man, I was trying to stay out of the taco talk, but now you guys have finally pulled me in. I love all sorts of tacos. I'll stick up for Taco Bell, heck I eat there several times every month. My favorites are the shredded chicken soft taco, the steak chalupa, the mexican pizza, and the classic bean burrito. I bet I've eaten hundreds of those bean burritos in my life and they never get old! I also dig the "higher end" fresh-mex chains. Here in southern Cal we have "Baja Fresh" and "Freebirds". Baja Fresh is my goto for killer fish and shrimp tacos. Freebirds has sort of a hippie theme. They always play classic rock and they used to offer a faux "pot brownie" dessert. My favorite taco is the one my Mama used to make for us: just brown some lean ground sirloin with a pouch of taco seasoning mix, and serve on crisp taco shells with shredded extra sharp cheddar, fresh salsa (from the produce section) and lettuce (not cabbage). Be careful not to swallow your tongue when eating!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Just did DP 31 Disc 4 at max volume for the car ride home. The last few minutes of Uncle Johns Band are tremendous. Such jamming. Fabulous piano-ing and Garcia-ing. Great Leshing and drumming. I'm sure Weir was Bobbing in there as well. I'm so hooked on '74 right now...it could be clinical....quite possibly could be clinical....what?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

its a good release too bad it doesn't have a complete show in there somewhere. "Don't climb on the fence, idiot!" apparently the NJ crowd was drunk and rowdy.
user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In response to Keith fan, if it is clinical, you already have the cure. More Dead. 74 is probably my favorite year and some great UJBs. At least it's been for the past six months or so. I have not listened to DP 31, but I can truly relate to the experience. So now I've got that show on queue--because your recommendations have almost always panned out... Right after this 81 Shakedown Street....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

One of my favorites literally from the very first listen. Disc 1 is pretty good too, great PITB and I always had a soft spot for those early Peggy-O's.. I kept trying to turn on all my friends to it.. burning copies, etc. They still think I'm crazy. It doesn't take much to get me to put on more 74 GD.. is there ever enough? I think Thursday's Child has been on a 74 bender for about a year and a half (or a decade and a half) as well. To my ears, 31 sounds a bit better than some of the others too. I wonder if they went back and remixed some of the older ones using the new bag of tricks if they would clean up a little. You're right KF, DaP 13, 2/24/74 sounds as good or better than any in the bunch. They were playing the Morning Dew from that show on the radio on my ride back today.. excellent.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I put in a request to Dr Rhino for a replacement disc for disc2 of Dave's 14. a replacement disc was sent but it was for disc 2 for Dave's 22 lol. so I said I got the wrong one. got another email saying a replacement disc for dave's 14 was sent. I hope its the right one or I'm going to have a bunch of Discs of dave's 22 floating around.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It's really wonderful, but like all of the Dick's Picks, I got into it only in the past couple of years, so it hasn't gotten the undivided attention it deserves. I'm most familiar with disc 1, and also love the Peggy-O. The China Cat of course is hot. So, an hour ago, I went back into Maz' chest of antiquities and fished out the magic hard drive from next to Skywalker's old light saber, in the hope that I'd find those complete August shows; but alas, they were not to be found. I did however, come up with a pretty good quality 12/18/73 complete show (with Dark Star). I tried stating at the beginning, but here I am with a "brand new" 1973 Dark Star in my ears. With the exception of some periodic loud humming that lasts a few seconds and dissipates, it's great to hear a new one. I've become impatient waiting for Dave to release it all, so I've been dipping more and more into the soundboards. This one reminds me of Echoes. I've heard a lot of people remark that Dick should have released this one as Vol 1 instead of the 19th. We shall see....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

Only us OCD people (and you know who you are) obsess over this but I'll ask anyway: How do you arrange your CD collection on your shelf? [obviously in alphabetical order], but when it comes to the Dead: Do you arrange your Dave's Picks / Dicks picks / vault releases etc. In the order they were released and after the official studio albums, or chronological order of the date performed? After a lot of consideration, I arrange ALL GD (studio and live) in chronological order (just as they appear in Deadbase) rather than the order in which they were released. I feel it flows nicer
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

The only music i keep on a shelf is Grateful Dead and complete JGB releases. The other CDs are all in books. As for my shelf, i arrange everything in chronological order, which includes official releases, as well as the soundboards i've collected over the years. Other than Live/Dead (which is just too good to keep hidden), i don't keep any of the studio albums or compilation albums on the shelf. Skullfuck, the original europe 72, w/o a net, dozin, etc, are all in the CD book as well. I believe obsession is a common theme among us.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

I rip them and then store (in weatherproof bins) nearly all. I keep maybe about 5-10% on hand (current faves, etc) near the stereo. I have noticed that I just don't re-stash to the crates many of the Dick's Picks sets. Shelf. Life.
user picture

Member for

12 years 1 month

.......if all I could listen to was 74, I'd be ok. DP12 is perhaps my favorite, but disk 4 of DP31 is awesome. All 72-74 is incredible, but there is just something about 74 that I can't stay away from for long. I look at my obsession with 74 Dead as "the cure for what ails me". Listening to DP7 as I write. Always thought this one was under rated. What a Wharf Rat. Glad to see others loving some 74!
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Regarding storage of the collective 'Holy Audio Scripture', many years ago for Christmas I asked for an interesting CD-storage thingee, and my mom found this cool, like quarter-scale red British phone booth. It looks like Dr. Who's Tardis, but is red instead of blue. But indeed, it, too, is also in the Transportation Business, as Mickey likes to say. It has 4 shelves inside which house the large (very first) box sets on top, then the next shelves are all of the Dick's Pick's (in release order), then are followed by official live releases (this time in more or less Chronological order), then on the bottom shelf stacked vertically are the studio albums. All of the Dave's Pick's are lined up in the windows. But, of course, the space inside my music-Tardis still isn't enough, so then all of the other awesome box sets (i.e. 30 Trips, '72 Trunk, Spring 90, TOO, Spring '77, GTSL, etc.) are sitting out on display in the open and scattered around the house. Long ago Ingrid gave up on sequestering the collection to a finite locale. She is very aware of the infinite nature of this outcome - as are we All. But I agree on one thing - the obsessiveness I think comes with the territory to some extent; and that ain't a bad thing. I also have 3 iPods which is where I do most of my listening by plugging those suckers into my big boy stereo. But, admittedly, I do still reach for the actual CDs more often than I would have thought. There is just something about handling the physical media, peering at the artwork as I hold it (even though I've seen them all a bazillion times) and the simple satisfaction of loading up the CD tray with a few discs and hitting 'play'. I dunno, maybe it's just me... Happy Friday Deadfreaks! Sixtus
user picture

Member for

8 years

My shelving system is a bit unfinished right now... I've got one box shelf that i have on the wall in my second bedroom (which is basically my collection room) that houses my growing Dave's Picks collection and most of my DP collection. Since the shelf isnt large enough, I have majority of my DP in a closet in the same room, one day ill have a set up where i can show it all off. I like that I have the overflow space in the closet but I'd really like to have them all in chronological order and not hidden away so-to-speak.But I've noticed that the releases that were harder to find, as I am trying to catch up with all of the releases I missed over the years, are the ones I always have out for all eyes to see. I'm proud of it so far. Some buddies always ask to borrow sets, the best I can do is give them a flash drive or a burned copy- the originals stay indoors and in rotation on my stereo. As for vinyl, I've got all my Dead and JG etc together, but not in any specific order. I keep em clean and in great shape but that's about it. Same with the rest of the vinyl- no real order, but as pristine as possible. Boogie on heads!! Happy Friday!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

If I could add One show to Dave's queue, it would be from California's Stanford University, Frost Amphitheater, 10-10-82. There's a great version on the Archive. And no, I didn't attend that particular show, and I'm not saying it's the best show of the era. Any more than Veneta is the best of '72 or Cornell the best of '77.I did a bit of tape trading in the 80's and it seemed like all decent traders had certain shows. Like 05-02-70, 08-27-72, 05-08-77, 07-08-78. Shows so iconic you know them by their date. 10-10-82 was like that. All the old-timer traders had that show and all the newbies wanted it. And for good reason. It's a mighty fine show from start-to-finish.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Chrono - LOGICALIt's the only logical way... I keep my 'boots' and commercial releases separate. Both are on hard drives in various formats: AIFF, AAC, ALAC, FLAC; 1 uncompressed, 2 lossless, 1 lossy (but at 320 Kbps). Multiple backup copies. Commercial releases are stored in large plastic boxes in a closet, I made CD-R copies of them, one set in the living room, one set in the office/man cave.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I guess I subscribe to the chaos theory then.. I keep my DP's together, my DaP together, my Road Trips together and my box sets get a shelf of their own. Honestly.. I don't reach for CDs to much anymore, so everything is stored digitally, which I am very anal about. The get stored as yyyy-mm-dd Venue Name, City. So every time I rip, I have to edit the metadata so its exactly perfect. Over and out.. time to head outside and build an arc. Its raining so hard the levy's sure to break.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

this has pretty awesome Tennessee Jed. Jerry's Rockin the Mu-Tron III on it. I don't think I ever heard him play the Mu-Tron on Tennessee Jed on the release 77 if he did I wasn't paying attention. a new fave version for sure
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sounds like you got the tu-ber-cu-lucas and the '77 blues. Which, of course, is a marvelous thing!I just finished the Baltimore, 5/26, show which will no doubt see official release. Onward to 5/28 and then the trio from Winterland. I've really been diggin' the '77, too.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm much more fastidious about my jazz, but the GOGD are in zones of just exactly perfectness, too.Dave's are together 'cause they are the latest. RT's and DP's are intermingled with all other unofficial recordings. Studio and various official live are together. Jerry's stuff is together. Ace is Ace. Kingfish and all kindsa ancillary individuals and groups are sequestered some place in this den of iniquity. Give me a minute and I'll find 'em. It's kinda an off-Dead day anni-wise, so I'm hoping my Don Drummond "Don Cosmic" Souljazz disc shows up as they say it will ... until then, Miles in Tokyo will have to do.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

yeah its not a bad affliction to have. before estimated prophet is played you can hear the band go discuss what is being played the rest of the show and jerry say "I hope they didn't hear that (game) Play"
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I only have my box set on display in the office. ALL my cds and records are stored in a climate controlled closet. The lps are on a top shelf stood on edge, 45's in an old fashion 45 box and just stacked. My old 78s are stored in old 78 storage boxes. All cd's are stored in banker boxes, of which only 3 are marked, 2 marked Grateful Dead and 1 marked Christmas cds. The only 14 boxes or so are just filled. But ALL my music is stored digitally and is really the only way I listen to music nowadays. The whole digital collection is stored an internal hard drive. My backup drive is only plugged in when doing incremental backups. I also have about a dozen copies scattered around the country. (my offsite backups!) My digital collection is stored by folders of artist, they are filled with folders of albums, which are filled with songs. A beast like the dead contain multiple folders, like Regular Albums, Live Albums, Shows, Dead & Company, Furthur. My shows are stored like Jim, by folders labeled "YYYY-MM-DD - Venue - City, State" FYI - Dave has been in touch with me and has told me DaP 23 will be the greatest show ever done, I am not a liberty to say which show that is, but believe me, half of everyone will love, the other half will hate. The liking half will hate that it took this long to release. The hating half will love that it wasn't that other show that they REALLY hate. Final prediction - 2 days after show is announce they will be a clamoring for what DaP 24 is! :-) I ready for whatever it is. There is a spot already for it in the "Grateful Dead" box!
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html