• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

If it ain't got The Swing. Couldn't agree more, Bob. But I suspect The Swing might be worth more as a chip to be cashed in at a later date. There are so many great shows in the cache.. you could almost throw a dart at the stack, call it Dave's Picks 23 and that would be enough to keep our interest. There is such a density of great shows and recordings in what was returned. Happy days.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I store my Grateful Dead in multiple places on multiple mediums. First, my Samsung Galaxy Note 4, with 32 GB internal memory and 128 GB SD card. I put the officially released shows in chronological order, so 30 Trips Around The Sun 1965 is first in line; then 30 Trips 1967, Road Trips '68 and so on. I end at The Closing of Winterland. Next come the soundboards, also listed in chronological order. I have around 80 from 1969 - 1978. On my old cell phone, I store the 80s and 90s. Same deal, chronological order. I listen to my CDs a lot too. They're placed in generic white CD sleeves, because this is the only way to prevent scratches. I store them in 30 Trips Around The Sun boxes (5 in all). In one box I have E72 with other '72 stuff: Rockin' The Rhein, Hundred Year Hall, Steppin' Out, Sunshine Daydream, and Houston 11-18-1972, along with Fillmore West Complete and Fillmore East 2-11-69; Dick's Picks gets its own box; Winterland 1973, Winterland June 1977, May 1977, May 1977 TOO, and July 1978 get their own box; Road Trips and 30 Trips Around The Sun get a box mixed with the first half of the official multi-track shows (Live Dead, Skull F@#k, Ladies & Gentlemen, Cow Palace, Movie Soundtrack, Closing Of Winterland, etc); and Dave's Picks gets its own box, along with the remaining multi-track official releases. I keep the empty CD covers stored on the shelves of the entertainment center, along with the 30 Trips crates (each with a different side facing out, so you catch all of the artwork and everyone's name). All of the box sets are there as well, including the Europe '72 Steamer trunk with dual Fillmore West bookends. It seems a bit excessive now that I've written it all down....
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I would keep 06/22/73 PNE also saved in that same pile!!! I will be happy whatever Dave's 23 and 24 are!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

3/24/73 (philly)6/14/76 (beacon) I'd love to see either (or both) released one of these days...
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

What a great High Time and Cosmic Charlie on that show along with everything else... I remember getting the tape back in 88!!! The whole show is great as well as the sound quality!!! Good call..
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

3/24/73 is no slouch either.. one of the highlights of the Spring tour. I wish I had Dave's job.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....yea Kyle. I'm not going to any either (too far), but I'll be paying attention. Dead.net should take note on how Phish's online business model is set up. Sleek and smooth. Never read or heard of a phishhead complaining of the product they put out there. Me included....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Announce that the bonus disc will be CD4 of 6-10-73 to go with the other 3 CD's that will be DaP26. And yes, DaP 25 will be 6-14-76. DaP 23 is going to be 10-31-91....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....will be Eugene 1.22.78. Jump in! The waters fine!....(or not). Release the hounds, and I'll tame them....an '89 show would be nice too. Cal Expo? Forum? Greek? I'll take them all....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Vguy the only complaint I have had was that the recent multi track digital only releases have distortion on em on due to maybe over mastering them. I bought the 96 and 99 archival shows and both suffer from it. the 96 show sounded ok when I burned a cd and put it in the car but when I listen to em on my earbuds they are kinda booming loud with distortion. we need Paul Languedoc back I miss him so much.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Why didn't the DEAD ever play Japan?Seems like all their peers plus everybody & their friends played Japan through the years. I've always been curious.....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

"Why didn't the DEAD ever play Japan?" Japanese Customs (officials).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Smiling on a Cloudy Day? Rhino rerelease of early Dead remastered...just saw on iTunes, no mention here though? Any insight hippies?
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

It's Count Vlad's operatives, they're still trying to get back the rescued Betty's.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

They never give up.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I would like to see a Greek Theater box set. Mr. Pete--------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

15 years

All of the Dave's Picks I have Heard are very good sound quality. I guess that some of that is due to new technology. I am glad that they keep releasing new old stock material. I wouldn't mind a new 1976 release like 6/24/76. I was at 6/22/76, and I got seats for the third row plus some orange blotter, a soda they used to make in Philly. The Tower Theater is a great place for a show, The Dead only played there once. They played 4 nights in a row. Just being able to see them so close was awesome. Sure, I would like 6/22 but 6/24 seems to be more popular. Have a Grate weekend!!
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

I did not know McCartney was into pot that far along in his career. I am happy to hear he likes it. For some reason I got the impression he wasn't crazy about it after his experience with the Beatles. Download Seris 76 is great.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

When Heather Mills was taking lots of his cash in divorce she stated in court all Paul likes to do is smoke reefer at home. He has been a huge fan since Dylan first turned the Fabs on back in '65 or so. Dylan thought the refrain in I Want to Hold your Hand was "I get High!" The lyric is "I can't hide!"He's been in trouble for it many many times, but being Paul, it never is too big a deal.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

Thanks for all the comments on the CD storage! Lot of good ideas out there!Some of them are making me re-think my procedure.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Ween just tore through my state, headlining Red Rocks last Weds then tearing up the grand old Ogden Theater Thurs and Fri. I was second row, basically right behind my friend who was pressed against the stage, directly in front of Dean Ween the lead guitarist, for the first Ogden show. Not only was this concert a total blast, it showed how far they have come from a couple of idiots in their apartment making four-tracks to becoming a world-class five piece ensemble. If you're on here yakking about shit like how you store your cd's (no offense, I like to keep mine on the floor of my car) you've got some time on your hands. Get on youtube and check out some of the following: Piss Up a Rope Ocean Man Monique the Freak Gabrielle Bananas and Blow If they don't make you laugh, they'll make you smile. ;-p
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....you don't need to tell me. Finally saw them for the first time in Feb. Will go back....Voodoo Lady baby!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Said McCartney owned a house further down the road for awhile. I suppose he used it to escape the dreary winters in England at times. Makes you wonder about the line - JoJo left his home in Tucson Arizona, for some California grass...
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

You couldn't be more correct about WEEN. They have indeed grown into themselves through the years and are fantastic fun.Get some... If you enjoy Zappa,it might be worth your time to check into Ween...just sayin'. :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I myself could have sworn I heard Dave said he was wanting to start releasing the recently returned betty boards as well. I looked through that list last nite. I saw only one 79 show on the list. so cross your fingers '79 fans this might be your year.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

This one's for you... :)
user picture

Member for

15 years

That would be a great gig. We haven't heard from Dave in awhile. Dick Latvala probably did well too,He loved the Dead. I read an interview with Dick that a lot of the soundboards are on cassettes. Have a good day, everyone.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Someone has to do it. I went with Dick's Picks 23 this morning. Just fabulous - never gets old. I'd forgotten how prominent Keith's piano is on this release. He's so fluid on Playing in the Band during this period. Trying to recall if all of the two-tracks from the latter half of '72 are like this. Europe '72 is real hit or miss with his presence in the mix. Not sure how that happened, given the fact that they're all sourced from multi-track masters, but it did. By '73 he's largely into the Fender Rhodes, which is also fantastic, but quite a different sensation than the grand piano. Perhaps I'll go on a 2nd half '72 binge. I wasn't heavy into the Dead when any of them were released, so I haven't studied any particular show from this period too heavily (like one would do when, say, there's a new Dave's Picks release; there's also the "don't wear out the novelty of these shows" aspect to it). As it's looking like a Summer / Fall box set isn't imminent, I should really just go mad with DP 11, 23, 36, DaP 11, and Sunshine Daydream. Plus some good soundboards. I could, in effect extend my PhD from Europe '72 to the entire year.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....shaking that stick and driving me crazy. Awesome jrf. Thanks. Deaner shreds it....
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Deaner sure as hell does shred it! Man, has he gotten to be a solid rock guitarist. He still plays that modded red Strat he's played forever. His amp is a no-name half stack with at least two channels. I think it might be a Van Halen 5150 head; I can't be sure, because whatever it is, he's had the nameplate removed. But it is an amazing rock tone, quite a bit of gain but not oversaturated and remarkably quiet and clean, unless he pushes it. When those guys started they were crap. They had all the wit and attitude but no chops; boy, has that changed. Aaron, er, Gene is one hell of a singer. He pulls off all those different voices live. Really, really good... Dean still looks the same. Gene looks 60. He's gained back a ton of weight (which, unlike Jerry, means he's sober) and his hair is completely white and nearly gone. He smoked a couple cigarettes on stage and though he did sip from a red Solo cup he didn't appear intoxicated. Dean constantly lit one Marlboro after another and smoked the shit out them between every song, leaving them burn in a big white ashtray atop his amp. He kept chugging from two red Solo cups that he wisely kept on the rug. I'm sure somebody, maybe him, once shorted out his amp head from a spilled drink. Fellas don't put liquids on your amp. Dean just reeked of rock-star cool. He looked like Keith Richards used to like he'd been up an extra day or two. He didn't talk much except to bark stuff at the audience once in awhile. The other thing was, most bands play on a nice big, cool-looking Persian rug. Ween played on a shitty piece of brown carpet that looked like it was torn out of a college apartment, all stained with bong water and beer. And most of them were barefoot on that nasty thing. How appropriate.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

How can you listen to this without smiling in amazement. Only time ever done and Fire on the Mountain genesis!!! About to listen to it again coming out of Eyes of the World!! I love the whole month of June 1976 just so unique!!! 6/29/76 my favorite especially the Mission in the Rain!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Several years back a friend of mine introduced me to "Francis The Mute" for the first time and that album just blew my mind. Immediately hooked. Wish they would tour again. Palette cleanser indeed.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....those guys from Vermont broke out an epic 27 minute Simple in Chicago. https://youtu.be/KlcHi4c_22w ....if you're not interested, move along. If you are, check that sick shit out.... . . Terms and conditions. If I post something that another individual decides to spend money on, I am not liable to reimburse said purchase. Believe me. I know. My brother-in-law is a lawyer. Angry spouses need not apply....;)
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ok V-Man, the way I see it you owe me 30 bucks. I went to that link and liked it a lot. Side stepped to LivePhish and downloaded all 3 Chicago shows. It's all your fault, that's my story to the wife and I'm sticking with it. Nice heads up.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I just read that Phish is going to stream their Dayton show tomorrow night for free on YouTube. Just throwing it out there....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html