• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

15 years

This is my favorite Grateful Dead Concert. I am so glad that the Dead folk decided to release each show, after they released the trunk with all of the shows in it. I had a bud on this board that let me know ,what shows were good. He said there was a problem with sound quality up til May. So I got the 1st show in May, this one. They did 2 nights in a row here in the Olympia. I got the next show too, and ended up not liking it as much as this show. BTW, are they selling these shows out? Very few single shows left, most are sold out. Anyway, the 2 buses of bozos and bolos with their wild drivers, had reached Paris a couple of days early. They really enjoyed this tour, were playing very well together,plus they also did a multi track recording of all of the shows to put on a new live album. Pigpen was on this tour, Billy K was the only drummer. Keith and Donna were on their 1st big tour with the Dead. This CD I listened to in my car today, They do a great "Jack Straw", it took me back to a time in the mid seventies, my ex wife and I got off at a rest stop, to chill out, it was a beautiful day, I remember the clouds were large and relaxing. I had made a cassette or 2 of Dead music to listen to on the road, my old 60 vw did not have a cassette player, so I had brought along one of those cheap tape players that you could get for 20 bucks at radio shack. I remember we listened to Jack Straw from Europe 72, it was a hot brand new song to me, but had heard them play it many times. I got sad for a moment, but it did not last, I probably enjoyed the song as much today as I did back then.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Like fine wine, only improves with age. It took me some time to really appreciate the second set of 5/3. If you've got the time and focus, it takes you on a wondrous journey. A true classic. I keep hearing the first half of the tour doesn't have the same sound quality.. I don't know.. all the shows on that tour have their own sonic charm.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

jeez are u sure about that !?! "Can't imagine what's behind those sleepy eyes" BRENT FUCKIN ROCKS !!!!! BY CHANCE ARE U DOWN ON DONNA TOO ? U SHOULD SWING BY MY NEIGHBORHOOD !! WE WILL GET U SORTED OUT. I GOT A FEW RECORDINGS WITH BRENT AND THEY WILL SPLIT YOUR SKULL. HAVE U DANCING AND MAKE U FORGET ALL THAT NONSENSE IN NO TIME FLAT 1988 ~ https://archive.org/details/gd88-06-26.sbd-matrix.nawrocki.5608.sbeok.s… 1989 ~ https://archive.org/details/gd1989-04-29.sbd.miller.88124.sbeok.flac16/… 1990 ~ https://archive.org/details/gd1990-05-06.mtx.hansokolow.97237.flac16/gd… BRENT FUCKING ROCKS !!!!! "It's like a practical joke Played on us by our Maker"
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

YOU CAN LET IT GO, YOU CAN LET IT FLY, AND IT WILL COME RIGHT BACK TO YA
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In a cloud of Nag Champa and a magic lollipop
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Heck...even Keith was better than Brent! At singing, I mean. Well, at keyboard playing too, come to that. Brent tended to over emote to my way of thinking, which can be a bit tiresome when you are sitting listening at home. If someone who had never heard the Dead before listened to a track with Brent singing lead-they would think we were all mad. Not that we aren't...
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Brent's studio solo album.... :o
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I remember the Spring 79 tour. We were all wondering how the "new guy" would play. We were blown away! To me, his arrival was a much needed shot in the arm. Raw energy that made the band jump. There are shows in the 83-86 time frame where Brent was leading when the band seemed to be lacking energy. I wasn't a huge fan of his songs but that's just my opinion. They weren't bad, they just didn't light my head up. Brent did good. Worked his ass off. YMMV.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Recently Keithfan2112 asked me what I’ve been listening to. I’ve actually been distracted by Phil & Friends and Dead & Co for a while. It began in early May at TXR with Phil & the Terrapin Family Band's redux of 5/8 and 5/9/77. After that I was turned on to the 5/26 and 5/27/17 Phil & Friends shows at the Capitol in Port Chester (6/26 counted the Preservation Hall Jazz Band among its “friends”). I finally began the Dead & Co Summer ’17 virtual couch tour with Boulder, and listened all the way to Chicago. Even caught a few streams. Both Phil and D&Co achieved “IT” moments more often than I expected. If you heard Phil at the Capitol, you might wonder, like I do, what he and his amazing band could achieve if he had the stamina for an extended tour. Those two nights were unbelievably stellar. And once D&Co accelerated to cruising altitude at least by Boulder, they didn’t let up and kept accelerating all the way to Wrigley. Then earlier today Vguy72 mentioned disc 3 of Dave’s 17 (Selland 7/19/74). Listening to that He’s Gone>US Blues, WRS>Jam>Eyes->China Doll>Saturday Night brought everything back into perspective. It's the "IT" that we all still share. The reason so many talented musicians, new and old, are still carrying the GD torch today to ecstatic crowds across the country, is the ineffable “IT” that the GOGD achieved most nights during their incredible 30 year odyssey. Those magical times are gone. Incredibly much/most of the music was captured so we can still bask in its “IT”-ness. And from time to time some of the original band members and those they've inspired get together to celebrate the music and give the tribe an excuse to gather once again to twirl in memories and kindness (and pretty damn good music)! Those magical times with the Grateful Dead may be gone, but the bus rolls on, picking up new passengers and momentum along the way. We even get to gather here on these boards to wonder what Dave’s 23 will be, to compare notes and, of course, to miss Jerry. Onward!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

anyone have a SBD or matrix of 7/5/95?
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I was living in Cambridge at the time. Had to travel for work to Chicago for the week, so i flew out on Friday. The person who i was traveling with had never seen the Dead so he wanted me to take him to the Sunday night show, (7-9-95). He bought us tickets but for some reason they had not shown up on time, but he had the receipt. We went to will call and they wrote us a pass to get in. The tickets showed up on Monday, and I still have the 2 tickets framed today hanging up as a reminder!!!
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Also love this show. I would rank it as my favorite E72 show with no Dark Star (but 4/11/72 is also great). The little songs are also played with lots of energy (Greatest Story, Me and My Uncle, Bertha, China Cat etc). Really hot Other One too.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Keith Godchaux was such a solid contributor all across one of the band's truly golden eras, IMO. Donna, not so much. Her "atonal shrieking," and how it could be described any other way on endless iterations of 'Playin' In The Band' and others is just horrid. That being said, I'm aware of her pedigree as a studio backup vocalist and I know she had the pipes. She said she couldn't hear herself onstage, and I believe her. However, if I couldn't hear myself, I wouldn't scream as loud as possible over everything for years and years hoping it would fit. I never did mention Donna Godchaux and Yoko Ono in the same sentence. Until now. She did some stuff on some of Jerry's solo work, where she could hear, and it's real nice. Too bad so many live shows have got that goddamn noise all over them, but no going back now. They had to go when they did - those two. Brent was solid. I really like his keys and how he brought the band forward with synth technology. As time went on he came on a bit too strong vocally and it was Donna redux, except now a whisky-throated gentleman was overbearing. Not always, but there's cringeworthy moments. I think there's enough substance and informed opinion on display here that when I shit on something, like Donna's 'Playin' shrieks or Brent going over the top with that Bob Seger on steroids growl, or, yes, our beloved Bob's kind of clunky, overwrought stiff white-boy songs - that I am not a hater, nor a "Troll," (thanks), only my weighing of the entire 50 year-plus canon of material and let's face it, every moment can't be 'Stairway To Heaven.' Like others I find this forum so much more pure and true than others, and while I Get Around a little (fucking love the Beach Boys - Guilty!) I don't tweet or fbook or any of that. I maintain my iron grip on my flip phone and I shut the fucker off whenever I might not be needed. Being plugged into the natural world is where it's at, for Led Ded. This started about Keith Godchaux and, boy, did his tasteful, timely piano playing augment so many beautiful Jerry songs so many times. What a legacy... not somebody I could ever throw shit on. As far as crap food goes, give me Del Taco. I think it's $2.34 I pay for three classic beef hardshells, sauce them up a little and it's a hell of a snack. Real, crumbly seasoned beef good cheese and a crunchy shell not that disgusting dog food-grade meat paste the Bell distributes. I like some classic Bad Company. Listening to 'Electric Land' now. Call it cheese and some of it was, but when it was smoky and low like the song 'Bad Company,' I'll take it to go. With three hardshells and some hot sauce please.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

The old lady (she's only 45, but you know what I mean) just dropped the hammer on putting the kids to bed so I scampered out for a half-pint of Stolichnaya to end the evening. Along the way, I hit Del Taco. No one in the drive-thru ahead of me. I got the usual, three value hardshells with no lettuce. I do not eat vegetables, hardly at all, ever, except in salsa. Owsley knew a lot about most things and I am on board with him and Al (I haven't eaten a vegetable in 45 years) Michaels on this one. As SNL's immortal Linda Richman would offer, talk amongst yourselves... Where I was wrong before was it was only $2.23, not the $2.34 previously posted for this glorious meal. I went with mild sauce this time, and liberally doused them in the adjacent Target parking lot, probably spent no more than 15 seconds apiece inhaling them in my midnight blue Hyundai with Dead @ Co. 6/9/17 blaring forth. God Bless Nugs.net This is good stuff, folks, like the Bad Company I just cued back up upon my re-arrival at the casa. Dead & Bad Co... \m/
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Never been to one of those, but lived in the Pacific Northwest for awhile and made the mistake of visiting a Taco Time once or twice due to limited options. Sickness ensued. My favorite Mexican/Southwest food is in Santa Fe though. Many excellent restaurants there, and New Mexican style has its unique flavors with red and green sauce, lots of chiles, and extras like postoles and nice fat hot puffy sopapillas with honey smothered all over it for dessert. Fresh stuff, lacking the greasy lard nonsense of your basic Mexican joint, and great for us vegetarians. If you've never been to Santa Fe, spend a week near the old town section and hit a different restaurant there every day.
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Favorite taco - vegiFavorite era - Any Last listen - Rockin' the Rein
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....(you knew it was coming). Been there several times. Gonna be there in a couple of weeks in fact. Green chilis are awesome. So versatile, kinda like a band we all know and love. I heard they played some shows there....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

LedDed's living the life.... All this '79 talk gave me the itch so I scratched it with 12-3-79 set 2. Yeah, that's the stuff....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....played DaP 10 Thelma disc 1 earlier. Chased it with RT 3.1 Oakland disc 2 later. Ten years in between. Might have to dig up an '89 show to complete the trifecta. And there are a few choice ones to chose from. A '79 release would be OK with me. An '89 one might be better....
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

No way. After all these years, I learn it was Donna (not that stiff-white-boy Bob) that was howling all over Playing in the Band? And they didn't like it? I find that hard to believe. Next thing ya know someone's going to tell me something shocking like Jerry did bad drugs and screwed up some lyrics in the 90's. Or that Phil was a below average singer. Help us out Dave. What's the next release.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Here in San Diego it's pretty much ground zero for what we call authentic mom and pop "taco shops". There is one on every corner. My kids were raised on taco shop fare. Took my son to a taco bell once, he wanted to try it. About half way through the meal he puked it up all over the table. I guess in today's lingo it was the equivalent of a 1 star review on Yelp.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

While traveling couple of years ago, I happened to be staying at this seedy dive hotel in Fresno right off the highway. Next door to this nasty hotel was a gas station that had a kitchen that makes real authentic Mexican food. It was either that or the Jack In The Box on the other side of the highway. Glad I chose the authentic Fresno gas station tacos. They were some of the best I've ever had. Couldn't tell you the name of the place though. Back home in the mid-west, the best taco joints are the authentic non-chain/franchised mom & pop places. I've heard El Pollo Loco out west is pretty good for a chain. True?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

1. Bodhisattva2. My Old School 3. Pretzel Logic 4. Aja 5. Kid Charlemagne 6. Babylon Sisters 7. Deacon Blues 8. Black Cow 9. Reeling In The Years 10. Time Out Of Mind
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Double Post.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Great food, good ownership. My uncle contracts for them at Vamonos pest control. I'm taking the WRS and Dark Star from DaP 9 for a round on my drive to work. Just listened to it last week, and back for 2nds. During coffee hour this morning, it was disc 3 of DaP 3. Can't get enough of that Dark Star. Pretty sure it was Keith's first. Moved on to Road Trips '74. Quite possibly my favorite Morning Dew. The China Rider is off the hook too My only regret is I feel like having a beet on the porch now. Alas, it's time for work. Sometimes I wonder if there is a parallel universe somewhere where everything is exactly the same except nobody has to work. Is that asking for too much?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

... listened to DaP 9 all the way through on the plane. As Jim has mentioned, watch out for that Dark Star KF, it gets really harrowing! On this morning's walk, I listened to Disc 2 of JGB Don't Let Go, (disc 1 was another plane listen,) as well as the bulk of the first set of 11/6/77. Good stuff. While I LOVE the Don't Let Go release, I am always struck by how S-L-O-W a lot of the tunes are. TLEO, Knockin', Limbo, Melody, Sisters & Brothers... some are glacially slow to the point where it seems like they are not even playing at times. Not that I am complaining, but it is no shocker that it's the Orpheum in 76. As slowly as the Dead played there that year, JGB seemed to take the sleepy vibe to a whole new level. (Question: Who is singing the low harmony on Sisters and Brothers? Is that Kahn?) DaP 23? I thought for sure there would be an announcement when I got home. Oh well. Nice to see some love for a 79>Brent era release, (along with the usual vitriol.) As usual, I will be happy with pretty much anything, but some variety would be nice. Tacos? Aside from the trash served at the Bell and other grease joints, I've met very few that I haven't enjoyed. Lately at home I've been cooking up steak tacos with a soy sauce/ginger/garlic/hot pepper marinated flank/skirt steak and an Asian coleslaw with red cabbage, green onions, and jalapeno peppers - kind of a Korean taco knock off, but damn tasty! (Corn tortillas all the way!) And SpaceBro, probably the BEST taco I have was from a run down looking gas station in Pescadero, CA (I think...) Could not believe the quality! Peace all, nice to be home :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

We're running out of taco stories.... Next topic: bananas Apple bananas, they're bananas that have an apple taste. There's small ones from Jamaica and regular size ones in Hawaii. When I was in Hawaii (twice) I wanted to taste the purple bananas but the stores didn't have any. A store clerk in Honolulu told me I would have to drive to the other side of the island and look for them at a road side stand. The other weird thing was that in Hawaii they had bananas from Guatemala, the same lame Cavendish type we get here on the mainland. So Dave, where's that DaP 23 announcement?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

So two bananas and an apple walk into a bar.. the bartender says, .... Come on Dave.. don't let your fear of predatory seabirds and log rolling scare you off the next release video.. I did some number crunching.. 5/26/73 looks to be a four disc wonder, I can't with good conscience make cuts to get this to three 72 minute discs. So how about a twofer.. Tell us what Dave's Picks 23 is and how exactly you are going to release all those four disc wonders from the spring/summer 1973.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality, durable portable CD player to use with my decent quality headphones, for about $100 or less? I need a better medium for my traveling tunes when not in a car. Amazon shows tons of cheapies for $20-$30, but I've already broken a few of those already, and they sound pretty awful too. I know we have some audiophiles here - thanks in advance for any tips - I'm not sure where to start.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

https://www.amazon.com/Cowon-iAUDIO-Video-Audio-Player/dp/B00DE14T9U The above link goes to amazon, this is my favorite player. I've used Cowons for about 15 years. You asked for a portable cd player - problems with "cd" players are they tend to skip. The big downside I've found with anything that moves is, it breaks. Digital players don't skip and are much more reliable than (no moving parts!) You'd have to rip cd's in to use a digital player, you don't need to rip to mp3, you could just rip to wav. The player will handle that. At 32 gig it will hold a few cd's!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Taco Bell have recently decided to invade the Netherlands. There is a good side to this. It means that I can not visit a Taco Bell here, as opposed to travelling all the way to America to not visit one.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Surely what you are really seeking is a portable turntable for playing those big black analog things whilst running/training/sporting? Or have Luddites now accepted the digital age?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Last year for Christmas I was given the Complete Breaking Bad set on blu-ray by my daughter. When I have free time I usually listen to music, not watch tv, so I hadn't opened it yet and my daughter has been bugging me to watch it. So I started it last night. My wife walks in right as the hydrofluouric acid disolves the bathtub and the half disolved body falls through the ceiling and splatters all over the hallway. I say "They also have a guy chained in the basement. It's only the second episode. I can catch you up quick." No spoilers please.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The die will already have been cast...but I'd like to see a Dark Star on the next Daves Picks. From any era. Looking upstairs I notice that the last one was on number 19, 23/1/70, which came out last year. It seems much longer ago than that. After the last three, slightly substandard releases in the series,and the 1977 box, I reckon its time to get back to the source.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

But I did call myself a luddite for a reason - I just don't want to go to ripping everything and to portable digital players. So I'll continue my hunt for a solid, indestructible, maybe even platinum, titanium, or carbon fiber CD portable!! We'll see if this Amazon Prime big sale thingy brings any of those $200 numbers down close to $100.... Simonrob, I still have an LP player at home and still use it regularly, because I never bought CDs of a lot of LPs I already had (except for the Dead, of course). Rumblings of CDs being on their way out have me concerned though, because it is my preferred format. Sure, I can rip and listen on digital, but just don't like to or want to do that, hence my ludditism. Funny that LPs are making a comeback now (I never buy any new ones, just too inconvenient, bulky, and I don't believe the sound quality is better as some say, without a huge investment in audiophile equipment). Love to have the packaging and convenient size of CDs though, with full booklets, covers, etc. If anyone else has a portable CD tip, I'll still be checking back....
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Although I prefer mine in the 60s / 70s range. But the show will automatically be better with Dark Star. I guess I'm stating the obvious...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Just have to add- In my opinion, Breaking Bad belongs in the conversation of greatest tv shows of all-time. Every season- nearly every single episode- is why I watch tv. Though I'm not a big tv fanatic, shows like Breaking Bad are what guys like me hope for. And it delivers, season after season. Wish I could take that ride again (for the first time). My guess for DP23- 5/17/74 or 6/22/91. My other guess- both of my guesses are wrong.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am just about to purchase a new turntable. I still buy a few LPs, but not many and I still have many hundreds of old LPs. As to sound quality vs. CDs, I think it was true that LPs sounded better than CDs for a long time. Certainly CDs from before 1992 mostly have dubious sound quality. CDs from the last few years are significantly better and I don't really think there is much to choose between LPs and CDs any more. These days I would certainly not try and argue that one sounds better than the other. CDs are certainly more convenient.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

You may not realize it but you brought up a very touchie subject. On some boards it degenerates quickly into a your mama thing. I got back into vinyl about 7 years ago and to me a beautifully done analo based lp is a thing of true audio beauty. That said I only listen to vinyl when I'm sitting directly in front of my stereo as you lose that difference if you're walking around the house etc. As for those who want to call me stupid or hallucinating or whatever go for it it's my money and I'll spend it as I please
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

After six weeks since their last communication, I have received a mail from customer service stating that my replacement copy of disc 2 from the 5/5/77 New Haven show has been dispatched. Patience is obviously a virtue when it comes to dealing with these guys, but patience has, in the end, paid off. Only another two weeks for it to cross the pond and I should have it in my clutches.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I have tons of LPs I've kept, many classics including original releases of Grateful Dead Grateful Dead (mono), Anthem Of The Sun, Aoxomoxoa, Live/Dead, Skullfuck, Workingman's Dead, American Beauty. I have a high end turntable hooked to a high end system in my man cave. I also have an incredible high end Motorola Stereo Console from the early 60's which sounds amazing and is an awesome hand crafted piece of furniture which is proudly displayed in my living room. Played through a good system LPs sound way better than CDs. And I rarely listen to the LPs. Why? Convenience. Pure and simple. 20 minute sides versus entire album play back. Ease of access. Portability. I can put on my ipod and headphones and go for a walk. I'm spoiled by the easiest route to my music. On occasion I will take some albums out and hold them and open them and read them. That's the real loss. An album cover was an art form. Disraeli Gears, Skullfuck, Are You Experienced, Cheap Thrills. Classic stuff. Art.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

all we have here is rosco's taco's, an actual sit down restaurant which is kinda expensive for tacos, and taco bell. and we don't even have a taco bell in town in anymore it got tore down to be rebuilt. we used to have a taco John's in town in the 80's but they closed and up went the taco bell in the late 80's. you wouldn't have thought it but actually taco bell was pretty expensive when they first opened. I miss taco John's *sigh*. no mcdonalds either lol they got tore down in late june and wont reopen in September. I only like their fries and chicken nuggets that's it. no Dead playing today, just Phish 2/24/03 east Rutherford, NJ where they play part of a first set with BB King. some fans complained about it. I'm like you got to see Phish and BB King Play in one show!! whats to bitch about??? crazy
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hi Otis, You surely visit Santorin but did you go to hydra, it is not wonderful but it is Leonard Cohen secret garden. I went there like a pilgrimage...JGB 76 is vallium...exept Don't let go, there is not really much to dig this year. nothing to match 77 pure Jerry. Indeed the Best recordings of Jerry is with Melvin Seals, and Merl Saunders...
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

We did Milos, Folegandros, and the obligatory Santorini. All three very different, all three very cool! (Save for the crowds on Santorini.) I knew that Cohen expated to the islands, but I didn't know specifically which one. I am sure to go back, so I will have to put Hydra into consideration. Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

from yetibike<4. Aja> finally, someone mentioned the best Steely Dan song of all time! I can listen to this song over and over again like a mental patient! ;o)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Back in the 70s records were often pressed on really poor quality vinyl. We would listen to them over and over until dust would infiltrate and the crackle, pop, and skips would drive us crazy. I wore out three copies of Live Dead over the years. CDs were a big leap because you could play them over and over. Granted, a nice system playing well manufactured vinyl does sound amazing. I was at our local audiophile store and I heard some MQA files. The clarity was mind blowing. Then again, they have a sound system I could never afford. Where am I going with this? Hell, I have no idea.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Nothing better as a kid than breaking the seal on a vinyl record and taking in the smellHell, what's better now? OK except for that. I love the sound of vinyl. Total magic. If I could choose between a complete free Dead collection on vinyl vs CD, I would go with the vinyl. Bickershaw Dark Star is really really good. It's only 20 minutes, but it's a great 20 minutes. Sugar Magnolia is very great too. And the Lovelight. Ithe would have beyet if they played Lovelight instead of Good Lovin' in Europe. Or I should say - they should have reversed the number of times they played each. I could live with only 3 Good Lovin's; but only 3 Lovelight leaves me wanting more. This song was an altogether new beast on E72. Streamlined and jammin' good. Totally different with Keith's piano, and Jerry and Bobby and Phil jamming like the Allmans.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html