• 7,864 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • nitecat

Doc, I can't agree more. Every day is a miracle and a gift.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Music is the soundtrack of your life......

Yo, rockers!!!

For goodness sake, what else would I be listening to?

May 26, 1972. An all time favorite, the last show of a fabulous tour, the last truly classic show with Pigpen. The E72 cuts from this show were truly part of the soundtrack of our young lives. And still are.........

Who hears music feels his solitude peopled at once.......

Rock on, my friends!

Doc
    To be alive, to be able to see, to walk, to have houses, music, paintings - it's all a miracle, I have adopted the technique of living life miracle to miracle.....

• icecrmcnkd

Gave the vinyl a spin last night. Sounded grate.
    Now about to brew my second cup of super dark roast Columbian Supremo.
    I plan on roasting some beans this weekend, among other things, like spinning some more Lyceum vinyl.

• DeadVikes

Hey Jim, yes, love these four shows. No Vinyl for me, but I have the steamer trunk.

Still need to listen to 5/24 and yes 5/26.

Needed a diversation today, so I went with 4/27/85 from #49. What a great release.

Hey OB, how is everything going?

• JimInMD

Holy cow. There's serious music everywhere you look.

... and I have the last show left.

• icecrmcnkd

Gave it a spin this past weekend.

Planning on spinning the rest of Lyceum vinyl this coming 3-day weekend, as well as my DP12 vinyl that is supposed to arrive Friday.

• Forensicdoceleven

Yes!!! The 4 Lyceum shows are all top notch. 5/23 really fine, 5/26 one of my all time favorites!

Enjoy, and rock on!

Doc
    When it's three o'clock in New York, it's still 1938 in London.....

• DeadVikes

Really enjoyed this show. Anyone else listen to it recently? The Uncle John's Band, Wharf Rat, Dark Star are the highlights of the show for me. Such good energy and man they are on fire.

Decided to keep the ball rolling with the Lyceum shows with 5/23/72.

Hope all is well out there.

• daverock

We are used to it now, but I sometimes wonder if it threw people a bit when The Dead came out and played an acoustic set in 1969-1970. People who saw them couldn't have been as aware of what they were up to until they actually saw them, communications being what they were. I can't imagine the Jimi Hendrix Experience or Cream coming out and playing an acoustic set.
    The Stones played a few acoustic songs live in 1969 - but only two as far as I am aware, not a whole set.

• billy the kiddd

A true heavy weight champion of a show. I'm. happy I got the bonus disc. The Dead at their best.

user picture

Member for

17 years
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Rollin,
Six Sixteen and eighteen from seventy four
Including awesome bonus material from kind poster here.
Thanks Again, yer too kind!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That’s one’s a gas!
Phil’s Lovin the new six string.
Must see tv

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Instant classic, and one of my first tapes.

I'm trying to stick with one and two syll a ble words in hopes my post gets through.

Damn you evil IT underlords!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

and I got shut down. Curses! Foiled again!

Starting the morning with a big ole serving of 3/27/88 Hampton Set II. I feel better already. What a great show and great run.

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

I just don't know...

38 yrs tonight Rochester War Memorial yeah another of those brutal rainy blustery Ra-cha-cha days waiting in line,
but now out of the rain and smiles all around
Summer is gone, but the time is right

...if I'm going back again

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

I'm there! It's a warm and dry inside and the music is sweet (4 songs in).

Thanks Uncle T!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Nice!
Those were great shows!
Dancin/Midnight and that Let It Grow is RJ fo sho!
Fungus fest times 11
And the hotel nearby we were at was completely taken over by freaks.
It was one of those were there’s a cat walk/balcony with the room doors, so that everyone had their doors open and the place was one giant party!
One of these nights I went first row for first set, but think that was the last time. I had started getting was into the hippie shake, better sound, and less hassles that being by the SB provided. After that, it was GA only at stadiums : (

Or Hampton, good Hampton! Maybe Philly still in 86?

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I'm going to give that a try today.

Cycled through two of the three 83 OB picks last week. Fun. By the end, the kick drum problem that seems to be in some of those 83 shows was beginning to rattle me. Like, you can't unhear it. I really wish someone would have insisted on a separate mix for the tapes and bringing back the reel to reels. Dammit Healy (said with my best Mr. Burns face and posture).

I really like the return of the Dancin in the Streets and Midnight Hour that came in that era. And the recordings cleaned up a bit from 83 and early 84. No disco Dancin's here, or as Phil would later say.. no the GD arrangement not the disco one.

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

…Mr Garcia doing his best John Lennon for this evening. Well, you tell me it’s the constitution, well, you know you better change your mind instead.
GA was always loads of fun, on this particular evening spent Set 1 spent in front of the board. I had not danced out of a building like that night since Satisfaction Hampton Spring ‘83

Last five
JGB: 11/8/81 Rider College Gym (audience cassette); attended and being 12 miles away it’s the closest Garcia ever got to my backyard lol, and then @ 11pm the house lights were turned on which was about ¾ of the way through Deal, if you listen to the recording, at that moment you can hear the band really kick it in!

Elmore James: The Master of the Slide (CD)
Neville Brothers: Live @ Tipitina’s Vol.2 (CD)
The TRIO: Oscar Peterson, Live 1961 Chicago (vinyl)
The James Gang: ‘Yer Album (vinyl)

I can’t get NO, I can’t get NO, NO, NO, NO...

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Kicks arse!

Might just as well go 11/8 today since nothing else…
Might as well might as well.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Just heard that a certain "classic rock band" has tied Sinatra and Elvis for most albums (58) on Billboard's Top 40.

Wonder who that might be?

user picture

Member for

17 years

I heard that too!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Rhino will also reissue all eight albums from the Grateful Dead’s tenure with Arista Records (1977-1990) in pairs between now and July 2024 beginning this Friday, November 10th with the band’s final studio album, Built To Last, and Without a Net, the 3LP collection of historic live performances from the late-Brent Mydland era……

There’s more but I keep getting Hey now’d

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

better bumper stickers should be issued!

Rock On!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Just heard some bits of that on siriusxm. Never heard this before. I sense the birth of Fire on the Mountain somewhere in here.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Clever Androids with a penchant for mind bending music and perhaps a strong dose of whatever Dr. Thompson is having (no offense to our Wharf Ratt kindred spirits)

I also did a twofer of 11/7/85 rolled into 11/8/85 with a sprinkling of 11/9/73 as a jammy middle layer. What a nice little 1985 sandwich. It made for an enjoyable backdrop to a productive couple of days and what a way to break up any monotony that might have otherwise oozed its way into my otherwise sunny couple of days.

I got to thinking, I know I have seen Dancin' openers and Midnight Hour closers before somewhere.. low and behold they sort of did this a couple times, 7.22.84 (but they added a Brokedown Palace encore) and they came close a couple other times which found me listening to 9.16.66 Avalon Ballroom (simply amazing early Dead, Vintage Dead in fact) and yearning for 1.3.70 Fillmore East. Holy cow, it's amazing just how many Grateful Deads there were.. it is not just one band but many similar but different bands rolled into one.

Hola Senor Bolo, welcome back from your travels.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, how does 5/5/1990 strike you all? I think this would be a first listen for me.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I can fit this in. Checking out the pictures of the show now. It was a hot one that day, 102 degrees. I'll add 9.16.66 and 1.3.70 for future consideration. 6.16.66 makes for a nice short little palate cleanser. A well known show, but man Jerry has some smoking guitar licks for such an early show in his career. If you heard just the guitar solos you might think it is the Airplane.

I'm a roll, very few hey nows today

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I think this can be done. At least I'm pretty sure it can be done, figured out or otherwise find a way to force this one through.

The world would be a kinder, gentler place if we could somehow figure out a way to dose the bots and androids that will one day become AI. I realize we are not there yet, baby steps, perhaps we can start with world leaders and work our way up from there.

ok, back to whatever it was we were doing, as It's the Same Thing comes to rollicking end I am shutting down my PC for the day and moving on the getting shit done and listening to music.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Right date?

I see none,,,, I see 9/16

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

I’ve heard it, it’s good if not RJ?
I’ll toss it on DV while I’m working.
Vguy was there, maybe he can give us some deets?

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

9/16/66. I think it's show they sold as Vintage Dead

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

5-5-90: yep, good but…
Felt the couple of miscues and vocal flubs kept from RJ status, but otherwise solid and enjoyable!

Vintage Dead, I have that on vinyl, I’ll have to dig it out!

Hit 11/25/73 Friday. Another good fall 73. Perhaps a slightly different approach with no big TOO or DS etc…

Going 4/16/83 today. Have heard often in the past but being at work and only crappy device, gonna fire it up just because…

Onward!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Man I love those shows!

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

First night since the hot shows at the Omni. This one was good, but not as hot as Spring 1990.
Fun first set, with LTGTR, The Race is On, Help Slip Franklins, Queen Jane.
Enjoyed the flow of Loose Lucy when they brought it back in March and a good one here.
Good second set. Will have to take a look at those other shows Jim.and OB.

Did you see the latest Dave L video? What a scene!

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

had that KPFA-FM broadcast on cassette since about summer '91 and I seem to remember (only remember because of the placement of help>slip>frank) Brent and Phil dominating the mix in Set One, don’t remember much of the 2nd set, probably should go back to it...

ORO – Ra cha cha nice energy from the boys; Seasons round, creatures great and small, up and down, as we rise and fall, RISE AND FALL! going with 9/15/85 while outdoors today, got lots of maple leaves that need some attention.

Hit 10/19/73 Dick’s 19 on Sunday while working on a cellar cleanout, and continued Fall ’73 yesterday with 10/23/73 Set II (always a good laugh from that 1st Encore).

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

A ight
Didn’t go there but I’ve had a tape of this one fo ever
Good Sheet Mon!
Good one for shitty device work modification!
Wild set list…don’t peak!

10/23, ha, yeah, too funny

EDIT: enjoyed 9/15/85, cool show. Yeah Jers voice occasionally has the rasp thing going on, but not as bad as some, and he plays his arse off while the band smokes on!
Good pick for anyone not familiar.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

No problem!
Hitting 9/9/88 today.
Serendipitously ended up at 9/8/88 (good but not RJ) so figured I’d finally check out the rest of the run…

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by Crypto Shillers

Good to see you back! How did you make through Hey Now?

88 spectrum shows. I need to check those out OB.

user picture

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

When I started to initially post comments back in October, I was being hey now’d to the point of frustration. So it was at that point that I figured something I’m doing it’s not working, maybe it’s not recognizing my I.P., so I don’t log out anymore…and I don’t have to log-in, and their system still recognizes me.

I launch dead.net, and then click next to the pop-up to clear it, and at the top right of the screen is my avatar. I scroll over to the arrow, the pull-down shows various options and I click on "recent posts", and then I chose the “Title” of the posts I’m interested in reading and/or responding to. This process has been working well for me for several weeks, saving me time by not re-typing, or lost thoughts, and no more frustration, so I “jump fer joy”.

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Been unseasonably warm here in MN so far this November. Been enjoying the last rounds this weekend.

Where were we

I see the end of the year sale is on. You can grab a copy of Here Comes Sunshine for 140. Wait you can't, because it is sold out.
However the Listen to the River Bo

Just wow. I can't post anything anymore, I keep getting Now Heyed. MDJim got this one through, but Jim in MD.. nothing.

Now I'm all pissed off.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by MDJim

So long as we keep it to single syllable words and sentences chimpanzees have said using sign language.

God forbid we comment on a show or discuss complex dark star passages, we will have none of that, you will get "Hey Now you can take that post and shove it up your ass"

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Marye, we are loosing posters and customers right and left here. Can anything be done to get us back to where we were? Just seems a shame that folks are bailing out. I miss them.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Someone noted they could post something simple, then went back and edited to add more, that did not pull the hey Now. My last post had a couple typographic symbols, did get the hey now until I removed them, so here's my first test with a clean post.

So that went through first try, no hey now, now now hey, here goes
!@#$%^&*()

and that posted fine, no hey now (second edit)

but it did not allow third fourth fifth of sixth edit tries...

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

can't post without hay now

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Nothing, crickets..
If they at least had the curtesy to let us know what’s up etc, wether this nonsense, or the HCS nonsense.
This secrecy and/or just plain FU decades long loyal fans who give these folks way too much money and they can’t even be cool with us! FFS!

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

many of us have spent hundreds if not thousands chasing this music, live and recorded

hmmm... under twenty words no hay now (first edit)