• 7,852 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

Oberon.

Having one now.

Cheers DV.

• proudfoot

aye Doc

good call

great call

excellent call

• DeadVikes

Love that 5/11/91 show Conekid. And yes, the Oberon is back!

Will throw out 5/25/72 to hit up this week. Need to bust out a few more E72 shows this month.

• Forensicdoceleven
    May you live all the days of your life.....

For all those with an anniversary mentality, think May 11 1969............

Maybe there's a better copy in those banana boxes............

............along with a new and improved Crockett 69 and a complete Chico 68.........

Rock on rockers!!

Doc
    May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.....

• icecrmcnkd

Getting in the anniversary listen.

DV, enjoy the Oberon. Too bad it takes so long to get to you.

• DeadVikes

We made it to May, which means Oberon time here in MN. Finally some warmer weather.

Hope we hear some announcements soon, MUATM and how about the 2024 box set? Man, mum's the word.

Hope all is well out there. Tomorrow I need to finish the Dave's #50 release, which is fantastic to my ears.

• Forensicdoceleven

MIT 5/6/70

Got severely HN'ed this morning, and they didn't even read me my rights..........

Doc
    Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.......

• nitecat

Harpur was a recording I listened to over and over in the summer of 1972. That's when I realized this was a really different band, and got on the bus, attending the San Jose 1972 show and two of the Berkeley Community Theater shows, one of was the Dark Star>Morning Dew show, which sealed my fate forever.

• PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Na, hanging in there but stuck in a painful wait and see endless loop. PT helped a little, but it's torn. Now I am jumping though the hoops and eating valuable time and deductible coinage fighting my way though the system. It happened mid-summer and I'm not that close to getting the MRI that will tell the world that in fact, one of the tendons in my rotator cuff is torn. Something I have known since mid-July. A part of my thinks they drag things out to get double the deductible offset than they would if they could treat the damned thing in a single year.

Is this what Deep Elem Blues is about? Oh sweet mama, daddy's got those Deduct Elem(ble) Blues? Nevermind, even my terrible sense of humor isn't working.

Gives me a little more time to keep up with you folks here though.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Plastic surgeon?
Maybe I still look young since I hadn’t totally sold my soul to the man yet and started 16 years of hard prison time : (

Yep, we need Jim to get that arm working again, so he can get his paddle on, so he’ll be happy, and thus come here and make us all happy with his good vibes! ; ) JK, know how much it means to you so hoping for a full recovery!

Hit 2/10&11/89 today, and might go for a DHB and hit the last night on the 12th..
Besides some of the spring tour, I’m not familiar with first half of 89.
These were ok, feel like they got better as they go/early part of year etc?
Gonna try to hit 89 hard next year…

FALL 89: why are those awesome multitracks just rotting in the vault FFS…
I’d say a tasty box, and look Dave, I already did the work!

10/9&10/89: released

10/11&12/89: ok, but since something would need to be cut, I’d choose these…
*10/14/89 is worthy and prolly best of Jersey sans 10/16…
10/15/89: runner up, depending on box size, or good DaP
10/16/89: released. Ridiculously under rated!

10/18/89: only tour Shakedown. Runner up depending on size, or would be good DaP
*10/19/89: definitely needs to come out!
*10/20/89; ditto, might even be better? Cali Quake!

10/22/89: runner up depending…?
*10/23/89: Attics and Cali Quake…

*10/25/89; not the best show of tour, but should get in for inclusion purposes if nothing else?
10/26/89: released

9/29;89 could be a DaP…since the above make a good size box, think spring 90 etc…

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hope you get that worked out Jim. Not fun.

Would love to see some more fall 89 released. However, the way things have been going, I think Dave is on a 169 year plan.
And don't forget those July Alpine shows.

So much to release and time is ticking away.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

10/20/83 yesterday, sorta while tunneling in the garage
4/14/70 and soon 5/2/70. All this 70 talk….
Ok, back to the gare ige …
why do we keep so much crap?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Still think #48 is an odd pick. I listen to 71 shows fairly often. Pretty sure the Pauly Pavilion show was part of ABCD returned reels. The Port Chester shows are probably my favorite shows of the year, but there are clearly other great shows. That November Austin show is fantastic.

Heard someone mention on another thread that they didn't really like Dave's #21? We all have different tastes, that is for sure, but this is one of my favorite releases they have put out. This really reinvigorated my desire to listen to more Dead. I mean the Rex recording is phenomenal. The Boston Garden in April 73 must have been quite the scene.

Have it going now in fact and the China Rider is one of the best of 73, to my ears.

Stay well out there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Don’t think so DV?
I just checked the ABCD list and didn’t see it?
Wonder if Big Red was pestering him to release it?
I mean, hey, if any of us had inside access, would we not petition Dave?

I agree though DV, bit of a head scratcher. Yeah it’s a good show, but there’s some real obvious ones that most folks would consider better…but I’ve spewed my picky DH pontificating negativity enough and will I’m sure, get a few good listens out of it before it joins the ever increasing good, but not go too club.
Let’s hope he’s just jerking our chain about “we don’t save things” and is just trying to evenly dole out the goods on the 169 year plan?
I dig the Capitals, but that’s almost like a different year compared to after KG was hired, so hard for me to compare…

How’d you guys like that 84? Maine always seems to be one of “those” places.
Heard this one not too long ago, and will definitely hit it next year!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Follow my sister's plan.

If you haven't looked at or touched in a year,,,, GARBARGE!

I'll admit she's a hardass. Her first born went away to college, she trashed him.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin', rockers!!!

Hey, another memorable anniversary. Carrier Dome. 1984. Single drop of liquid 25. Pretty solid and enjoyable show........

Angry Jack Straw, you out there?????

Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities...........

Rock on!!!

Doc
The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance....

Which list do you have OB? There are a few out there and then the secret lists. Kind of like being on double secret probation.

The show from 10/12/1984 is a good show for the time period. Don't need love didn't make it too long on the circuit. Definitely sounds like an eighties tune.

Carrier Dome. I have listened to this show in the past, but right now can't recall much of it except maybe a rocking Shakedown.

Just finishing up Dave's 21 this morning. My god, I love this show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

2-1-78 on new JOTW.
They were listening in on us again.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Fate Music: the new alphabet

I think brother Conekid hooked us up with this?

Carrier Dome: again, I’m saving 84 for next year, but have heard 84 the most outta the three.
Aaa red sweethearts, yep, good sheet Mon! Perhaps we met at the NYS rest area ; )
Looking forward to hitting 10/22/83 this WE for my personal 40th and since I’ve been flogging around in fall 83 lately.
Hit 10/20/83 again today, along with 11/1/73. Oh, rollin the awesome Dylan 30th anniversary concert again. Forgot how great this is if your not familiar! Good FAC tunes…

Ha! I hit the other uptown’s last week but forgot to post! Same as this February 89s: seemed to get a little better every night? Or maybe I’m getting mixed up? Enjoyed, I know these are Bluecrow gold. I dug em awight, but still think April sets the par for 78 (no offense of course to BC or 1stshow etc)

Garage/garbage: yeah Dennis my BFF taught me that one. He’d hit the basement once a year and liberally use the one year rule lol. Funny coming from you though ; ) mister biggest collection in the world guy lol
My problem is I have access to too much hardly used gear that I think “well, this is too good to recycle since maybe someday I might have a use for this “ mhhmmm, so far my battin a average is on the side of shut up and pitch it lol.
Happy Fri yay amigos!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

If anyone does check out these fine shows, you’ll definitely want to go SB!
The shows were fun as always, but the place sounded like shite mate.
It’s a testament to the awesome GD/Ultra sound crew they got it as good as they did, but still, that place sucked!
But if you go SB all three of the shows are good for their respective years…

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

jgmf.blogspot
-dot-
com/2020/09/
the-new-alphabet-abcd-gd

Reassemble that and replace -dot- with .

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Thanks Cone Kid.

That's not nearly enough. I wonder if they ever got the ahole guy to cooperate?

Thinking about this a bit. Why would they publish or leak a complete list of what was returned? The element of surprise and hype sells. There is more than a marginal chance that as time goes on, more of Betty's tapes materialize. Could be wishful thinking, but why publish or release a list if you were them?

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

Just heard of the passing of jazz great Carla Bley. Nice to see that list, though it reminds me of how under represented 1968 is for "official" releases... Banging the primal drum again, understood questions remain, whats in the vault. Releasing partial lists teases keeps the buzz going. Will there be a primal box? The archive shows roughly thirty plus shows across 1968, iirc, there's only abut five shows released commercially. Cold rain and snow here, could be the first firing up of the wood stove this season. Trying to find a Matt Gaetz mask for Halloween.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

This jotw is lovely! (deleted various things to see if I could get this to post)

Oro I love your spade work prepping the way for Cap'n Lemieux and a Fall 1989 box. Such an exciting time (redacted various things to see if I can get this to post). I got my hands on a good copy of 10/9 set II by that Thanksgiving, and by year's end my friends were passing around complete copies of some of the Brendan Byrne shows including 10/16. But your rundown of other contemporaneous shows makes me realize there are quite a few I've simply never heard.

As to cleaning house, I'm with Dennis. If you haven't touched it in a year, give strong consideration to placing it into the garbage. When we moved nearly 2 years ago, we'd been in the same house for 16 years. The "aha!" moment for me was when I took down a box from a little-used closet shelf, and the ceiling above it caved in. Obviously that says more about the landlord not doing preventative maintenance than anything else (and that's a big reason we finally moved) but it's a lesson/metaphor: if you have a box that is holding up a ceiling, you obviously don't need its contents...

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yes, I agree Jim, I don't think they will ever release an official list of what was returned from the transaction or what they even have in the vault. Keep them guessing.

Not sure if Rhino still needs to credit ABCD with assistance on releases as Kezar was on the list of returned reels but not mentioned in the HCS Box (as far as I remember).

Maybe we will get some #49 news this week.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Obeah

Which box set was holding up your ceiling?

Further proof that Europe 72, Fillmore West 69 and 30 trips are foundational items we simply cannot live without.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Jim LOL let's just say the shipping box for the Pacific Northwest box set was on the same shelf

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In this week's Taper's.
An audience tape.
Not sure I've ever seen them do that.
Cheers

Great to see you again Bolo. Still a core group of crazies here. See what you started??!!

1stShow - not sure what to make of an audience source for 1/31/78 in the taper section except to highlight a gap in the SBD. Do know the Let It Grow to finish Set I rips. Now onto the Scarlet.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

That explains Putin's heart attack.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....I've been ignoring this thread recently. Got put my game face on it seems.
Y'all been active. Love to see it.
And Putin did have one it seems. So close.
Keller effin Williams! Wow.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

57 years ago today, I moved with my family from Houston to the San Francisco Bay Area. Talk about culture shock!

Less than 3 months later, my barely 12 year-old self was accidentally exposed to the Grateful Dead for the first time when I was dropped off in Golden Gate Park with new friends. It happened to be the day of the Human Be-In. I had no idea what was going on, I just knew that the world was not as I had known it - and I liked it!

Been in a glorious purple haze ever since.

Since last update, In no particular order (that would require a functioning memory ; )
Hit and enjoyed my 40th anniversary double shot of 10/22/83.
6/25/78 was another big show that was definitely played to the situation/gig (both big and loud)
5/2/70:
11/17/71. Good but not RJ
5/9/78 ok show, but aud only
3/10&12/85: 1st time. Good but not great…
12/6/73 bonus disc. The MJ “beat it” Dark Star!
9/22/93: whoa, who knew 93 could be this good?

Ok, I think that’s all?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes sir, I’m all about the nuts, bolts and stats. I’ve done all of Summer 85, Fall 89, fall 91, E72, Spring 83 (and whatever I forgot) in order, without any other Dead intermixed. I feel it’s the only way to fully deepdive a tour.
I then carefully consider set lists repeats etc and attempt to construct the best possible box from the tour.
So basically, I’ve done at least half the work for ole David, but for some reason he never seems to reach out ? ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

You have been busy OB. 6/25/78, there is another one I can't recall at the moment if I have ever listened to that one. Might have to check it out.
Currently, just about to finish Dick's 31 and I kind of feel like keeping that 74 vibe going. I mean, come on, it is 74. Where to next?

Way too cold here in MN already. Trying to squeeze in my last round this afternoon before the courses close and then the World Series tonight.
Stay well out there.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Been in 1974 mode lately thanks to GD Hour selections and this fits right in, thanks for the suggestion DV. Just starting and you know it's going to be good when they start with a Playin'. And this one is ripping. Great jazzy feel so far. Sure beats raking leaves!
Cheers

Doing the anniversary listen.

139303.cm.miller

Would love a ‘91 Box.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Finishing up the 3rd and 4th CD this morning.
Our first snow today, didn't stick to roads.
For a mix tape release (ala RT series) this was laid out like a couple of shows. Probably wouldn't have even known if I was just casually listening and didn't look it up. And fine shows they were! Love the jazzy, tight nature of 1974. Everyone really on the same wavelength here. Polished even more than '73 but not the Just Exactly Perfect (read slow) pace of the early post hiatus era. 8-4 and 8-5 both so good, what a pair of shows that would have been to see. I have tapes of the 8-6 used as filler here and it has also been a favorite all these years (Playin> Scarlet> Playin'). Highlight may be the WRS on 8-4 and the seamless transitions like the one between that WRS and Wharf Rat. Not only are these shows firing on all cylinders, the engine has been modified for increased horsepower it seems.
Going with DRs pick over on the 48 thread of the 10-29-77 anniversary DaP 33 for a lazy Sunday snow day.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Too early for snow for me, but, it is that time of year already.

Agree Firstshow and really enjoy the Jams out of songs from this time period. Early Peggy O always satisfies. After 31, went right to RT2.3 . All three CDs are great, again really dig the Jam out of Truckin, into Wharf Rat, GDTRFB and Sugar Mag.
Hit the bonus disc from Dave's #2 at the Capitol Center.
Might have to que up 9/18/74 next from the 30 Trips box next.

Hope you all receive your #48 soon. I don't have a shipping notice yet.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Our first snow comes tomorrow, I seriously doubt if it will stick. I might have to pull a good release that opens with Cold Rain and Snow.

I love DiP 31, especially when it first came out. Disc 1 is worth the price of admission alone, but all four discs are full of magic.

I've been dancing around 10/21/83, 10/14/83, 10/8/89 and 3/28/73 (Worcester 30 Trips, Hartford DiP6, Formerly Warlocks Hampton, Springfield DaP16), mostly OB suggestions. It had been forever since I listened to the 83 and 89 shows, and Springfield.. well, do we really need a reason to put that one on.

Went to a real freaky Halloween party Saturday night dressed as the sorcerer from Fantasia, got fungaldosed which was nice. MRI tomorrow.. I get to find out if I will recover or get a shiny new six-million-dollar bionic arm instead. I still remember that sound effect Steve Austin used when he went into bionic mode. You'd think we would have that technology figured out by now..

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Someone gave Jerry a pot brownie in Sweden 10-13-1990

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Doing some Halloween Radio City from nineteen eighty.
Ten twenty nine seventy seven was OK.
Distracted listen or just too many wahoo shows lately to compare fairly.
Best wishes on the MRI Jim.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Been having a high time here lately, sort of.. went to a wickedly wild Halloween gala over the weekend. The first psychedelic Halloween event I have been to since college (actually three parties Sat, but the fun one was last). Great bluegrass being played almost everywhere you went. Two freakishly fun parties tonight as well, all within a couple blocks from home so no driving, etc., work tomorrow will be light.

My MRI today did not go as I had hoped.. I thought I had a partial tear in one tendon in my rotator cuff (Supraspinatus), something where the repair is not the biggest of deals. Turns out two of the four tendons in my left arm rotator cuff are not only completely severed, but the tendons have recessed far away from where they need to be re-attached making the repair more difficult. Much worse than anticipated which sort of blows, but that's life.

We could have us a high time, living the good life....
....Wel-eelll I know.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I'm in pain just reading that. That and docs HO are bummers. Glad to see you keeping your head up.

Maybe our luck will turn around sometime here soon.

Comes a Time for 30 DOTD

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Sorry to hear about that news Jim. Hope they will be able to find a solution for you. Doesn't sound like PT will get you there.

Oh and I almost forgot, Hey Now!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It appears anything beyond one syllable words get hey nowed.

Ill try again later

We got our first snow here today, this show opens with a decent Cold Rain and Snow. Jerry was married backstage in-between sets. Great third set, good recording, good show. Well I Married Me a Wife, She's Been Trouble All My Life.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I've been very fortunate, I was due. Dropped four flights and cracked my spine..

Edit: Goes to show, the seventeenth try's a charm. Right back at you crapatcha and heynow.

I think that term as a form of greeting may have been ruined for all time now. Maybe someone should tip Dave off before his next lecture.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Received an Email this morning from this site that stated Hey There!

I received my #48 last night so will be diving in and then I will hit that 82 New Year's show. Thanks Jim.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I just got Hey There'd

These forms look different. narrower, you can fit less on a screen.