• 7,827 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

Since Jim has degreed that we can take more, here we go............

2/28/69
    5/15/70
    4/28/71
    12/14/71
    5/26/72

Of course there's so many others, but there's only so much room in my life raft.......

Doc
    No Hey Now LOL

• DeadVikes

Very hard to pick one Jim.

Here are my five in no particular order:

12/31/76
    2/18/71
    5/26/72
    11/6/77
    11/5/79

Is that five already? Shoot, didn't even make it to 1980.
    Edit. And I didn't include any shows from 73-74. Okay, this is tough.
    Too many to list.

• JimInMD

Don't tell anyone, but I am smuggling a few extra shows into my desert island travel bag. Picking one is simply impossible.

• JimInMD

4/28/71

That Other_ One is Other Worldly and always takes me back to the first spin of S&_Roses. Among the first records I purchased from my limited revenue stream at the time cutting lawns in the neighborhood.

If I feel in need of an after burner, I'll be sliding in 4/5/71. It's nice to finish this with that closing twofer from this show. Puts me in a good working man's mood to get stuff done. It might even inspire me to cut my own grass.

Edit: The things you have to do to get pass the HeyCow elitists. They did not like the way I discussed cutting my neighbors lawns.

• musicnow

Doc, thanks to you I have that show. It is absolutely top tier stuff! Time for a listen.

• DeadVikes

Favorite Dead show Doc, I am in.

Favorite show of all time, interesting question.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life.....

This well known and deservedly classic Dead show crackles with an energy and intensity that even the Dead themselves could only rarely conjure. I must admit, this is my all-time favorite Dead show. It isn’t flawless, but it’s very powerful and has killer versions of El Paso, The Rub, Cumberland Blues, Morning Dew, Hard To Handle (best ever!), and The Other One. Throw in the big closing jam with TC and voila---magic!!! Without doubt, this is my “desert island” show………………..

You all know what I'm talkin' about..........

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water......

• icecrmcnkd

Hey Now

Applied randomly

I got the treatment a few days ago

• icecrmcnkd

Year

Hall

• JimInMD

July 15th Was not too shabby either.

Apparently Hundred_Year_Hall is a reserved word. The Hey Now police striketh me down for mentioning it in this post, well.. because I listened to it today and it kicked ass and thus inspired me. I'm pretty sure there's no copyright infringement for using those words in a posting, no harm done whatsoever. What a waste to build and install such an obtuse infrastructure. What do the head cheese at Rhino do, smoke tons of crack before the board meeting and dream this shit up? Goodness.

Hit the show mentioned above today (on it's birthday!), I could not resist. That Other One is Other Worldly and the transition out of Love_Light is so, so, so good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Yes, it sounds like a great time to have seen them. I agree with Deadvikes - 7/3 is another top show. Especially the second set. The pre drums jam seemed like the highlight- in fact I was going to miss out the drums and following songs. It would have been a mistake, though - NFA and Stella Blue are also exceptional.#
I have just had a look in the Taping Compendium, to see what they though of this show. Not much, by the looks of things! Oh well - my gain.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

When this was first released I said this was the sleeper of the batch. SO damn good and under the radar. Having heard 2 of the 5 shows already 7-3 impressed me the most at the time and still is impressive.
The July '78 box is the best box design of the lot IMO.
Cheers
7-8-78 cued up on the tape deck. Aside from the tape flip the late-90s bootleg CD source was superb sound. Easily equal to the official release. In some ways better in that I can hear the amps buzzing right before the 2nd set begins.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Always dug that and considered it the sleeper. All Over Now, check that out. As Jim would say, Wowow stuff. Also, the meat of set II is where it's at. Of course, the Weirdness>Wharf Rat but that whole set II jam sequence is powerhouse stuff. Plus, don't they encore with Promised Land? May be sui generis, only time that happened. Anyway, great stuff with the Oroboros sculpture in the back watchin' over things... :-)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

What a surprise that box was.. love that box. The June '76 recordings seemed to be on the same level (excellent) but the energy was not quite there.

So we have two May '77 Betty Boxes (both excellent) and a June '76 and July '78 box (again, both excellent with a big nudge going to 1978). With Spring '73 and October '72 boxes released, I hate to say it but I am not sure I see a long stream of shows at this high caliber. Let's hope Dave has some more surprises up his sleeve.

It's been so damned hot here in the East the last week.. and with my air conditioner on the fritz, the only way I could find to break the heat was to take off all my clothes and perch myself on the top of the telephone pole in the town park. Looking at temperatures across the county (and globe), I expect many of you were in the same predicament.

I'm going to hit some of the July box this afternoon.. might start with the second set of 7/5 and work my way backwards to 7/1. 7/7 and 7/8 deserve special treatment and a large span of uninterrupted time.

oh.. Maryland went legal on 7/1. It did not take long for at least the streets in the mountainous parts to smell like a Grateful Dead Concert.. was that haze in the sky residual smoke from the Great Canadian fires of 2023 or celebratory smoke signals from the newest state to go street legal? I never expected this to happen in my lifetime.. little by little they are decriminalizing the freak flag.

Happy summer all.. thanks for keeping up the good vibes and keeping the picks on-point.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Street legal? I didn’t think public consumption was legal anywhere, technically of course, now in reality…

Carful about splinters on that flag pole, bet there’s a nice breeze up there though!

78 box. I didn’t get cause I turned my nose up “ohhh, I don’t need that…” IDIOT!
Prolly pissed that it wasn’t something i “wanted”? Whatevs…idiot!
That and I knew I could get copies off my cousin…, but still, IDIOT!
I do have copies so I’ve heard it, and at first was like meh. But after “discovering” spring 78 and how much I liked it, I’ve come to a different realization of the year and box, but…but, I should spend some more time, just when…?

Made it through 73 box once so far. Haven’t been getting the best listens in (these shows are so long) and it’s just not a good time of year to completely clear mind and listen hard for 4 or 5 hours.

I think the sound is mostly great, the art was nice, and the shows are good, (the packaging was not practical) but I respectfully disagree that their all top shelf. They all have moments, but I didn’t feel like they were at that level for the whole show, which is why I wouldn’t call em all top shelf…so, a solid enjoyable box from one of my favorite years, but I think there’s still better…

So, I respectfully disagree that we’re running out of high caliber shows, definitely diminished but, consider just some of these: first and foremost I’d say the first six shows of 73 are as good or better than these. 2/9 is good, but way overhyped due to years of taper bias. I think it’s as good as most of the shows in the box, but not as good as the other five, but would be a good center point of a very strong box!
I still think there’s good primal, though why they won’t break out I can’t fathom…
There’s still some killer shows from late 71 after KG joined…certainly some hot spring shows too, but not sure they’d sell as well?
There’s still some killer fall 72, though you’d think they’d wait on that a bit!
A plethora of 73! Winter, spring, summer, fall…(ok, prolly will never see a horn tour box) but some representation would be nice. I still say Providence, or Syracuse would make a nice WOTF 50th bonus since their killer shows and have the most songs off the album (6 I think?).
Unless they did a Winterland 74 redo (which I don’t see), 74 prolly doesn’t have a box left.
76 could do another summer box
77 I hope not as it’s over represented, comparatively, but I’m sure there’s some small holes still
78: Spring still has some great shows, some Betty’s, and possibly fall, but I’m not as up on those yet?
79…? not sure about a box? If they made it a 79 box of the whole year, than absolutely!
80, same thing. Of course that’s predicated on Fall tapes not being available…otherwise!
I could name lots of 80s, especially early, but of course that means cassettes, which to some immediately discounts or outright disqualifies…to each there own. I think their getting pretty damn good at fixing them up, but whatevs…
Still hope someday, unfortunately I don’t see it soon, but someday we’ll get a summer 85.
86 through 88, prolly not, though when we’re gone or not as involved, maybe they’ll market something 87 for all the touchers? Of course if they did more venue boxes, i.e., Greek, Frost etc, many of these could come into play

But!!, but, there is still a fine trove of untapped Multies from 89, especially the fall tour (wtf Dave?) and lots of good DATs from the nineties which did have some consistently good tours: summer 90, fall 91, summer 91, some call out spring 91, but I’ve not spent enough time there yet to opinion?
I could argue others, but I don’t see it from a marketing standpoint?
I’m sure heads are spinning and many would argue otherwise. But I’ve put the time in, and if you strip the preconceived pretentious BS and just listen, you’d be surprised.
And though there may NOT be enough good/consistent left for a lot of boxes, there’s tons of individual and small runs, that are very good GD. Hell, they could always do another 30 trips, say for the 60th in gulp, 2 years!
I mean, I get what yer saying, but the more I dig through the years, all the years, I’m still finding juicy nugs of goodness, even some hiding up there where mama hides the cookies!
Be well, stay cool all!
In fact, stay inside where it’s cool, and PLAY DEAD!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Winter land Oct 1978 Great shows, & Winter land March 1977 great shows, two future boxes.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

That's the spirit.. I am sure they have looked at everything they have and are spreading things out to last.

Speaking of 1980, like many I really liked Dave's Picks 8. Great sound, spirited show.. worthy.

Well.. I've been in my kayak everyday for about a week.. I'm comletely spent and recharging my batteries today listening to a little fine 1978 GD.

Thanks for lifting my spirits Oro and BTK. I guess there are plenty of good shows to come. I hope they still have a trick or three up their sleeves too. Things we might not know exist or do not expect. It's kind of cruel to drop a '69 banana box on us and never hear another mention, don't you think?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Another sparkling show - maybe the best band performance of the first three shows in this collection. Keith seems more present at this one. I like the sound of these shows as well as the playing - very strong and clear. I get the impression they were quite loud if you were there.
As the 73 box is due tomorrow, I think I will save the Red Rocks shows for a bit. Maybe next weekend.
Looking at the posts on the 73 board it's fingers crossed for tomorrow! Reading Oro's post below, I would think these shows are just too long to be top drawer all the way through. I'm really looking forward to hearing them all - but these long 73 shows all had some slow moments from what I have heard.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

There is a great video of the Allman Brothers doing Whipping Post from 9/23/70 . Why is this important? Because the Dead played there 9/17,18, 19, & 20/70, maybe they video taped the Dead and these tapes exist. That would be the ultimate if that was the case. This video was probably shot by the Fillmore East staff, and the same was done for the Dead.

BTK, are you familiar with Wolfgang’s vault? I’ve not done more than peak in, but my understanding is there’s quite the stash that would probably be very pleasurable to your tastes. Daverock too!

And speaking of, don’t let my picky “opinions” put you off DR. Their great shows, just feel, comparatively, that there might be other, perhaps slightly under the radar (but some on Dicks) shows that are top notch. But that does not mean these are not very enjoyable!

Great Minds, Ha! Had 7/5/78 on while I finished Reading One Way Out by Alan Paul.

Water Heals Amigo! Sounds like you’ve shock the cobwebs (and winter beer fat ; ) and are getting yer river on!
Glad to hear it! Exactly what the doctor orders!
Hey-O, onward!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

With apologies, a calendar suggestion - 7/10/70 Fillmore East - only circulating source is an audience and they clap. No matter. A bit of fire-breathing dragon. Yowza wowza. Billy's drum solos seem crazy loud even back in the balcony. Given the audience source maybe not for the faint of heart.

Jim - no better place than the river when its hot!

July '78 box is pure gold (as you all know). My favorite 1st Set ever may be 7/7/78. The Cold Rain and Snow to open Set II is my all-timer. And a little earlier the Eyes from 6/8/77 is a jewel, with that beautiful extended intro, on and on and on.

Those NY 1970 shows.. gotta get the wayback working and just spend the whole year there. Thank god for Marty Weinberg and too bad Bear got taken out of taping January in New Orleans. So a blessing and a tragedy.

I've been reading Jessie Jarnow's "Heads" while stuck at high school basketball games lately. He spends a good bit of time highlighting and contrasting Marty's involvement with taping and his relationship with Latvala. Interesting stuff. I wonder if the other parents have any idea what I am reading about, surely they would never trust me carpooling their kids again if they knew. :D

Anyway, yes it's an audience tape but a decent one for the era and a real piece of American history. It seems you get adjusted to it after a while.. I can't get over how good Jerry's voice was in the early years. A lesson to all you kids out there, don't start smoking (well cigarettes anyway)

Picky opinions.. ha.. I enjoy the critique, sometimes I find myself liking most things GD. Highlights and low spark feedback helps keep me grounded. It certainly shows you are listening.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Not so bad for an old aud!
Yeah, you can definitely get past it if you just listen to the music play!
Really enjoyed the Easy Wind, Sweet Attics, spirited CR&S, but the highlight from me was the cool paring/transition of Cryptical and Cosmic Charlie!
Nice job BC!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Just returned from a family trip in Northern Minnesota. Beautiful area.
Sorry to hear about all the issues with the HCS Box. I have listened to the first disc of the Iowa show so far. Definitely prefer the digi packs they used in the Spring 90 box sets and the PNW box set. Not sure why each box presentation has to be so different.
I hear we might have a 79 show coming for #47? Interesting this leaked. Has this ever happened before on a Dave's Picks?
So many good shows in October through December 79, looking forward to this one. Will a 79 pick sell out this year?
Will continue to work through the HCS box but I am up for picks if there are any?

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

Wait, it's 4:20 here.

I haven't finished ripping my box yet, certainly not through the first listen.

I do have some picks up my sleeve. Or at least some areas I want to compare and contrast. Let things ride until the weekend?

Besides.. I think most in the Southwest and Southeast are hiding under rocks or in have burroughed themselves deep enough in the ground to escape the 110 degree plus temperatures that somehow are plaguing the planet we live on. Those tube amps and McIntosh amps are a real buzz crush when trying to cool off.

Spoiler alert.. I'm looking at a few some released some not. I'm not as creative as some and do lean on released shows from time to time.

Hope you all are doing the best with what you have to make the world a better place.

Stay cool...

I would have thought a show from the new box would have been an obvious good for pick of the day. Maybe too obvious and not really in the spirit.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

I think that's what most of us are listening to anyway.. why not go with the obvious?

I still haven't had the opportunity to rip them. I did read the liner notes though.. which were quite enjoyable. Baby steps. In all my years I have never been so busy doing less than I am now. There must be an ancient parable baked into that riddle somehow. Some things, I guess, take more time than one might imagine.

Anyway.. I will rip them tomorrow I'd be fine with any of it being a pick of the day.

As we rode out to Fennario

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by MDJim

Maybe everyone is on a different show. I am in no hurry - I've had it for 8 days now, and I am still only half way through 6/9. When you get to this, if you haven't already, you will here one of the oddest China Cat-Riders of the year - or any other for that matter. It starts off in fine style, reaches forward in celebration towards Rider- maybe a bit jazzier than usual, then..Jerry seems to lose the will to live. His singing gets quieter and quieter. It made me wonder what the rest of the show is going to be like - but the highlight of the show ( so far) follows quickly on it's heals, with the He's Gone-Truckin'-Playing jam.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Finishing up disc 4 as I write.
Dickey Betts sounding sweet!
As solid a show as ever there was.
Liner notes in the 4CD stand alone mentions the band coming out strong to prove a point as if they had been upstaged on 6-9-73? Allman Bros. & GD on the same bill. How I would love to have seen one of those BITD. Did see AB in '74 at Mile High and twice at Red Rocks so no regrets. Enjoy!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Can’t listen to my box on site, so cued up 12/7/79.
Good show, typical fall 79. Big first set.
Then 11/9/79, sighhhh, wish they would have released this whole show…

Box is too big and too strong for proper analyzation at this juncture…

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

July 19, 1973 was my first time seeing Jerry Garcia with Merl Saunders. That was at the Great American Music Hall.
50 years ago today, July 20, 1973 started out with a free concert in Golden Gate Park. The colorful Cockettes were there in all their wildness, then Stoneground of the Family Dog community played, and the closing band Copperhead with John Cippolina.
And to cap it all off as a two day/triple header the night of July 20th myself and a couple of us “Connecticats” made our way to Bezerkly to Keystone Berkeley to see Old and in the Way. I borrowed my brothers driver’s license to get in as I was underage. That was my only time seeing them. We sat in the tiny balcony at a small table right next to Owsley who was recording the rarified performance. I remember my buddies and I smoking a joint and passing it under the table. The waitress was looking around concerned as to its origin but never caught us. Ah yes, a waste is a terrible thing to mind.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

MIA , will someone please call son of Bear / Owsley Stanley Foundation.
Here in the southwest where I’m at, 5000’ we’re having a cold snap , 85 degrees. Cloud cover. I better get one those feather coats.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It is a box of Biblical proportions. Nice licks by Bob on Wave That Flag from 6/10. I don't think anyone's mentioned that before.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

…but it’s pleasing

Like that Dire Straights song: the. Box is too big, the box is too strong!

I see how it’s easy to get worked up over 6/10, but it’s not the best playing overall.
Ramble on Rose comes to mind, but there were other little hiccups.
Don’t get me wrong, It’s a good show, but I still think it’s slightly overrated, comparatively…
I’ve hit em all twice now, and there’s just too much to get really specific, and I still think the first six shows of 73 are as good or better…but that’s just being picky and making conversation. I love this box and it will provide years of exploration and enjoyment!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I am finally getting to this show today.

Looking forward to some picks this weekend.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Wow, Kezar is such a great show and the version in the box is by far the best version I ever heard. Two shows to go. So far so good, a few scratches but all play so far.

Looking at 10/9/82 for today at the Frost.

No shipping notification here yet, which is not unusual.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

10/9 is a great 82 show.. Go dvikes, go! I will join in later today.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

A good show Jim. What decade will Dave finally get to the Frost or the Greek?

6/10/73 on tap for today. What a box!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I finally ripped Jerry Live 19 and 20, Daves 47 and the Sunshine Box. I have my listening time pegged for a while. In the spirit of the Days Between, I started with Jerry Live 19, 10/31/92. I was surprised at how good it is, I get the feeling I am in for a good couple weeks.

They have been doing a better job each year of the Days Between in SiriusXM. They have been doing this, year after year now for a couple decades and I have to admit I have a bit of nostalgia for this week. Eventually, apparently tonight, I watch the Bluetube So Many Roads video, satisfying but a little dark; the last song Hunter and Garcia wrote. I do listen to more Jerry shows this time of year. It just seems fitting. So here's to that.. the 92 Jerry show exceeded expectations, what a good little show to start off my new treasures ending in the Sunshine Box.

That's all I've got.. a bit preoccupied.

If I were to toss anything out, 5/5/77 simply because it's the sleeper in GSTL and it has a disparate version of Peggy-O that just haunts you to listen to it twice.

Back to lurking mode while I cut my teeth on the new material. I hope all is well with all of you.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

5/5/77 sounds good Jim. Haven't listened to this show in a while.

Enjoy your listening.

I have Dave's #47 on tap for tomorrow.

Will be interested in your take on the HCS Box. I just finished it up last week. I need to listen to them all again of course. Love the box. Top 2 in sound quality for two track releases. Noticed a decrease in the volume/quality on the vocals on the 6/10/73, show, starting at Stella Blue. Seemed to get better by disc 4. Will check it out again.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Thanks for the reminder on this show Jim. I have to admit it is the least played show from this box. Not sure why. Hard to compete I guess.
Definitely need to listen to this one more. Another powerful spring Sugaree, love the Peggy O, Scarlet Fire and really enjoy the St. Stephens from this tour.

2017 was a good year for releases with this box and the RFK 89 Box.

Wish they would do that more often. Give us a two show treat at the end of the year.

You still out there OB, WTJ, Bluecrow, Doc?

Stay well.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I liked the Peggy-O from this one. The solo's different than most, not sure why it stands out. Each listen seems to reveal a little more.

I'm working backwards from my newly ripped items. Tomorrow I will start the Sunshine Box. I'm excited for that. They were playing a bit of Old and in the Way on SiriusXM for Jerry Week, also from 1973. If you think about what Jerry was playing and doing that year.. he was all over the place. An explosive year of creativity for him, he really broadened his reach and scope. Their song writing took another turn too, more matured and some real gems.. Eyes, Stella Blue (late 72 but took shape in 73). What a time for the Grateful Dead. Looking forward to hearing how these shows sound all cleaned up.

I'll be jumping down that rabbit hole tomorrow morning, but I'll try to keep up when things come up here. I think Oro mentioned Summer and Fall '89 recently either here or another thread. I think we are going to see a box from this period at some point. There are a lot of good unreleased shows and for the most part they were recorded on multi-track, so it's not if but when.

Brutal temperatures are beginning to fade.. if we can somehow keep shit from catching on fire, a good fall awaits us all. Be good y'all.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!

Since somebody asked, thought I would chime in and say "I'm still here, lurking.......". Took a big break from making POTD anniversary posts, as it seemed folks cared more about hockey, half assed British bands, and the Grateful dead of the 1990s........

Funny thing happened to me. My car music player (Surfans, 256 GB memory card so hundreds of shows) decided to freak out, all the music there got vaporized so I had to start all over from scratch. While reloading stuff, I rediscovered that good gosh almighty there's a shit ton of exceptionally well recorded shows in the 1976-1986 era. So I've taken a deep dive into 1980-1985 and I'm seeing how long I can go with listening to only shows after 1972. Even I get "early show saturation". So far, so good...........

And no, I did not fall down and hit my head..................

Back to lurker mode..............

Rock on,

Doc
Music is given to us with the sole purpose of establishing an order in things, including, and particularly, the coordination between man and time........

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Playing Dead! Stay safe and stay grateful... :-) :-) :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

A nice addendum to the Dead for me recently has been listening to various solo Jerry shows. As Jim said below, the scope of music he played just during 1973 was vast indeed. I've been stretching into the mid 70's - so many great and varied live shows to be heard. Good to hear the great man playing songs and music I am less familiar with - and being integrated into completely different bands - Old And In The Way as mentioned, and the Garcia Saunders Band of November 74-Legion of Mary? He sounds less of a leader there than he did with The Dead.

This one is for Doc. Giants Stadium Box Set 7/9/1989. Super hot month for the boys and you get a Shakedown opener.
Time to jump in.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Well I dunno.........1989 may be a bit TOO radical for me, it's tough going past 86........

The greatest pride, or the greatest despondency, is the greatest ignorance of one's self.......

Rock on!

Doc
Be not astonished at new ideas; for it is well known to you that a thing does not therefore cease to be true because it is not accepted by many..........

I like the China Rider from that show. I could be wrong as I have not kept up with changes in the arrangement for this combo over the years.. but I think Jerry blows a verse somewhere in there and does a great job compensating for his mistake. He fills the empty verse with an impromptu refrain, then a nice jam and they are right back in it and you can barely tell. ..or perhaps that's they way they were doing it in 89, either way it's a powerful version especially if you drive it through a good system at volume. I listen to that show when I need to get shit done or am in a workout.

That and Augusta 84 are part of my get things done playlist. Anyway.. back to 73 and a little sleep for me. I'll be caught up soon and hope to come back on line here more.

I really liked Garcia Live 20, another high energy offering.. that After Midnight Deal medley is high octane stuff, I think this is the bonus material from the Stone in '81.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Did 89 scare too many away?
Would 2/22/74 help? I recently listened to 2/23 and 2/24 and again cursed that satanic Lemieux for releasing these shows as Dave's Picks instead of as the Winterland '74 TOO box set. Damn You Lemieux, you robbed us of another excellent Winterland Box Set!!

So 2/22/74 anyone? Since it's dead here.. how about sometime over the next week.

For what it's worth, I really like that 8/9/89.. I know Queen Jane Approx. isn't everyone's thing, but I like from Queen Jane through the China Rider on this one. I hit it up earlier this week. I even delved back into the second set of the 87 show from this box, opens with Morning Dew > PITB then Drumz Space, but those first two songs of the second set were spectacular.

I didn't know whether to head into the pre-midi Spring or the exploratory phases of the Fall and October. Many gems to be mined there. After the Mecca set, I headed on over to the JOTW, which is some chunky goodness from Cleveland 1979.

Y'all have fun today and keep it grateful...

2/22/74 sounds good Jim.

7/9/89-Fine release! Shakedown sets the tone. Yes to Queen Jane for me Jim. Sounded like Bob was trying to steer them into The Other One at the end of Truckin, but no luck. Brokedown Palace to close it out.

After I finished this show and Dave's #47, which I think is a great sounding release, I went on a 79 bender. Went back to #31. Not sure why but Jerry really slowed it down on 12/3 and 12/4.

Listened to 11/5 and 11/6, my two favorite shows of late 79. The energy is so high and then hit 12/28 (RT3.1). This Sugaree matches or exceeds some the of the Spring 77 versions.
Would love to see more 79 released.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Haven’t heard the 89s in a couple years, so enjoyed while gitin er done.
Good solid shows, but perhaps overshadowed by so many great shows that tour!
Nice 2/14/68 for dessert…
DV, hit Cleveland 11/29/79 if you haven’t. Curious to hear your thoughts…

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Might just be my favorite all time show.. not that I could possible pick a favorite. Plus.. it has a draw or at least I feel a desire to either be really stoned or partake in time/space/perception bending accelerators. This one falls into the church music category, start to finish with that Midnight Hour nightcap that lets us know all is good with the world.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Listening to this show is in itself a mind bending experience. The supplements may be best saved for lesser shows, which may be more in need of a helping hand.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Cornerstone.

My plan is a headphone listen to 10/3/94. I'm past the Childhood's End. Some weird sounds in that one, but they seem to have handled it like old pros. I am rediscovering it after the liner notes for 10/1/94 from 30 Trips.

Keep having fun! Enjoying the jams as always here. :-) :-) :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I will check it out OB. I don't think I have ever hit this one.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey WTJ, or anyone, perhaps you’d be so kind as to post or PM me any 94 shows you think are worthy of attention?
My way of handling anniversaries etc, is to primarily focus on years that end in the same digit, with secondary focus on that digit plus or minus 5.
So this year my main focus was 73, 83, and a little 93, with secondary being 68, 78, and 88.
Thanks to vguy and other good folks here, I’ve been enjoying more 93 than I would have thought!
So looking to do the same next year with 74, 84, and a little 94, so would love some suggestions!
(Secondaries will be 69, 79, and 89) So should be another enjoyable big year on the quest to hit em all

Of course, really enjoyed 73 this year (especially with the awesome box), and 83! I’ve hit all of 73 except a few scrapes, and all of 83 except the New Years run and a couple scrapes. 88 actually ended up being a bigger focus this year than I would have anticipated, though I still have probably a couple dozen left to hit. Though 78 has snuck up on me semi recently, I haven’t hit as much of that as I would have thought. 68 I failed : (
So fellow seekers, I’m all ears, tell us what are your favs from 84 and 94, 74 I’ve hit all but some of the partial, leftover parts of the picked carcasses, so good there…