• 7,846 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

MIT 5/6/70

Got severely HN'ed this morning, and they didn't even read me my rights..........

Doc
    Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.......

• nitecat

Harpur was a recording I listened to over and over in the summer of 1972. That's when I realized this was a really different band, and got on the bus, attending the San Jose 1972 show and two of the Berkeley Community Theater shows, one of was the Dark Star>Morning Dew show, which sealed my fate forever.

• PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

• Oroborous

What we like and why we like it.
    Used to love how five dudes who all just experienced the same show, sometimes together most of the night, could then have five different opinions in the car afterward lol
    Keep ‘em coming boys!
    I’m rollin on 77 currently.

• uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

I like long Pigpen songs.
That Good Lovin' on L&G is a good one.

I like Brent too.

And last night I listened to a Vince show, 9-10-93. I was at that show, on the floor with mail order tix.
It has an Attics, sung by old worn out vocal chords.

Ah Paris, what a show. Can't pass this one up.

WTJ, I have a good eighties pick that I don't think we have hit yet. I will be back.

Well, hopefully there are no Pigpen haters on here, or haters of any kind come to that. If such a beast exists, I would definitely advise him or her not to skip the Lovelights from the Europe 72 tour - all very differently styled to the ones played in 1971. Or any of the preceding years come to that.

I'm obviously only expressing one view point when I post on here, incidentally. In no way would want anyone to think I disrespected the opposite view - or that I expected them to agree with the one I expressed. The great thing about being on here - in theory - is that everybody loves the same band - but often for radically different reasons . And the more varied the views are that are expressed, the more interesting things become. The problem is never in seeing things"your" way, but in expecting others to as well.
Anyway - this isn't my natural habitat, so I'll shuffle off now, and leave you in peace. Hope it continues to grow in this space.

And if we are doing 5/3 might as well stick around for the jazzy Dark Star from the 4th. Other Ones and Dark Stars and Gargoyle's Oh My!

hey... it looks like the renovation of Notre Dame will conclude sometime next year. A crazy celebration will likely ensue probably without fireworks and assorted celebratory acts.

non fumeur s'il vous plait

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Another monster show. Let's do it Jim.

For Friday I was thinking 2/26/81 from the Uptown Theater. Hopefully this one isn't a repeat.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

and a dollar short. Did DaP20 12-9-81 Boulder today.
My short review would be meh, pretty good.
While many songs were good versions, overall not terribly impressive.
Typical sound issues at first and got worse into second song and then the Jack Straw how does this song go meltdown was almost humorous but as Jer said in an interview, "We cling to each other in moments of horror". Nice long set though. Has both the China/Rider and the Scarlet/ Fire on either side of the set break for those still trying to decide which is their favorite, but again nothing that really had the secret sauce. Seemed to go matrix sounding with audience audible in second set? 7 inch reels and not cassette though.
Just didn't seem to have that ephemeral thing that makes you say, yes that's why they picked this one. Only the second or third 80's release by then maybe? Could be a distracted listen is at fault but any listening is better than none.
Cheers
Edit: Cue the Twilight Zone music, this is post 7006 on this thread, my childhood address in Littleton, CO

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I didn't start subscribing to Dave's Picks until the following year, so DaP #21, but when I saw this show was an official release I went and tracked down a copy. Back in the day, my intro to 1981 GD had been 7/5/81 Zoo Amphitheater, and that made me wake up to the possibilities (my collection at that time was mostly '68-'78) so when the next person I traded with sent me his list and he had a bunch of early 80s boards I said, basically, "pick the hottest show of '81 and send it to me" and this night in Boulder was his choice.

Now obviously that's debatable, and when I played the first cassette and heard that Jack Straw, I thought maybe the guy had been having a laugh at my expense. At the time I didn't even have a Deadbase so I didn't know this was the final night of that short winter tour, but I feel like it shows. That setlist looks like a reward for the folks who came out on tour in the cold rain and snow. Personally I love the Drums->Space->Other One->Stella Blue...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I agree, the best part of the show that I forgot to mention.
They finally caught fire, as often happens, in the crux of the jam.
We need more '80s Dave. Throwing one out there, Santa Fe '83?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Based on choices here, I was able to tune into 9-10-93 and 2-27-81.

I'll be checking out that E72, 5-3, 5-4 and for extra credit 5-10 (dynamite). I also wanted to check out 2-26-81 and Richfield 1991. What's the pick of the litter there? 9-6-91?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Been busy and out in the field. I'll try to work in the 2 Paris shows, at least the deep jams, this weekend. I had the 3 lp E72 album in my early days and it very much informed my listening, but it was an n-th generation cassette SBD from Rotterdam 5/11/72 that had me really and truly grok what the Europe tour was about. Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia > Caution (Who Do You Love verse) > Trucking > Uncle Johns. That's my fave jam from the tour. A mid-summer night listen back in summer '87 or so that will forever be burned in my memory as to how profoundly it influenced my "ear" for the Dead.

Always up for some Uptown Theatre (2/27/81). Before I headed out last week I marveled at the 1st set of 8/6/82 St Paul, which was in the Tapers Section. JOTW as of today is 8/14/71 BCT (haven't gotten to it yet.) Sweet pair of shows 8/14 and 8/15.

Here Comes Sunshine, 5 shows from late spring '73, is a "dream" box for me. I'm sure I suggested it here in the semi-regular what-box-would-you-like-to-see sessions. Never thought it would happen in this purest of forms, all 5 shows!

Take care folks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hey Bluecrow, could not agree more, super excited for Here Comes Sunshine and love the fact we should have it maybe before the fourth of July. Extra bonus we get a MUATM in June and Wrigley June 91!
Yes, the St. Paul show in August 82 is really good, right before those Alpine shows, which I believe you were at. You lucky guy.

Be well all.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hello once again, rockers!

Pick Of The Day: MIT free show May 6, 1970

What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the soul…..

May in New England. The weather was cold, but the music was hot…………

Not much wasted time, or space, here. Opening with Dancin’, there’s decent grease, jamming, and rock and roll. Who couldn’t go for a short, sharp shot of 1970 good old Grateful Dead on a blustery Spring day?

Apparently some smart folks at MIT had the foresight---and ability---to record this little gem, which has circulated since the dawn of time. Much to our advantage, and might even make a nice little official release some day………..

Rock on!

Doc
The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books……

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Damn - it is a great one!! Love the sound of those early Dancings! Love the later ones too like 10/1/77. Alas, never got one in my GD concert days.

2545 DaP46 arrived this morning ahead of schedule (was due Monday) and right on time for a weekend listen!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Mason”s Children alone is worth the trip … (btw, anyone ever notice they revamped the intro on it just after the next time they performed it ?) .. listen to the …Good Lovin’ on… quality prior is mediocre .. the banter is classic, too.. one of my 1st 5 bootlegs

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Circling back on this show from last week. Definitely worth a listen. Recording is great. First show of 1981 coming off a banner year in 1980. Solid first set with Feel Like a Stranger, Althea, throw in a Birdsong, Peggy O, TMNS. Start the second set with an explosive China Rider, Samson, He's Gone, Truckin, Black Peter, GDTRFB, and finish it up with JBG and US Blues encore. What a show. I will have to take a look at the other shows from the Uptown.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'm going to give a shot to that one and with that I will have completed the opening trio of shows from 1981.

So far 2/26>2/27 for me...

Going with the Seamons matrix on 2/28.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Nice work WTJ.

Thoughts?

I will get the other two going.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Just enjoying the jams. Hollywood was a nice diversion, btw. Definitely a festival tape.

Up to drums and space on 2/28 now and the sound on the Chappell matrix is fine.

Happy weekend, folks :-)

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Happy Sunday, fellow rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: Merramec Community College May 14 1970

Loss and possession, death and life are one, there falls no shadow where there shines no sun…..

This was such an appealing format. We’ll start you off with some mellow acoustic tunes, and then finish you off with some highly charged, highly amplified psychedelic electric Grateful Dead. And THEN maybe toss in an acoustic encore. A format lost but not forgotten.......

The five song acoustic set is short by sweet. The electric set crackles with energy, with a really good dose of greasy Pigpen (including back-to-back Good Lovin’ and Schoolgirl [one of the last pigpen versions]), substantial country-westernish stoner Americana, the first Attics Of My Life, a fully electric New Speedway that includes a short Nobody’s Fault jam, and a St Stephan. And for all you Lovelight haters out there, short at a mere 17 minutes. And they send everybody home with a lovely Cold Jordan…..

Not as famous as Harpur College or the Fillmore East show the following night, but without a doubt worthy of a serious listen!!!

There's a bit of magic in everything, and some loss to even things out……

Rock on!!

Doc
There's death and there's loss, but there's also celebrations, right?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Alright WTJ, I am in on that great show for tomorrow.

Thanks.

Also, can't say enough good things about that Uptown Theater February 81 run. 2/27 is even better than 2/26.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hey now DV, I went through all 3 Chicago Uptown 1981 shows. I thought they were all strong with the bookend shows catching my ear in a different way on my relistens. It would take several more listens to refine my position, really though all 3 shows are strong and, in my opinion, really benefitted from the matrix treatment by Chappell or Seamons.

As for more show reccos, over on the SHF they are offering up 'Alternative 30 Trips'. Here's an example of a dead freak created list. Some good, and in some cases, lesser known gems in there.

1966 - 11/19/66
1967 - 11/11/67
1968 - 10/12/68
1969 - 4/22/69
1970 - 6/24/70
1971 - 8/6/71
1972 - 9/10/72
1973 - 12/1/73
1974 - 5/12/74
1975 - 6/17/75
1976 - 10/15/76
1977 - 6/4/77
1978 - 6/4/78
1979 - 12/1/79
1980 - 10/31/80
1981 - 8/28/81
1982 - 4/19/82
1983 - 9/11/83
1984 - 12/29/84
1985 - 7/1/85
1986 - 4/19/86
1987 - 9/8/87
1988 - 7/2/88
1989 - 8/19/89
1990 - 7/12/90
1991 - 10/31/91
1992 - 12/3/92
1993 - 8/21/93
1994 - 10/17/94
1995 - 6/25/95

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I would have enjoyed chipping in on that one. As it happens, though, Daves 46 arrived yesterday, and from the early hours of tomorrow I will be spending 24 hours in a music free zone. Its unlikely it will still be on the agenda after that, but if it is..

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

1966 - 7/16/66
1967- 5/5/67
1968 - 3/16/68
1969 - 6/7/69
1970 - 9/19/70
1971 - 2/20/71
1972 - 9/16/72
1973 - 2/15/73
1974 - 9/20/74
1975 - 3/23/75
1976 - 6/3/76
1977 - 10/12/77
1978 - 11/23/78
1979 - 10/25/79
1980 - 9/6/80
1981 - 9/26/81
1982 - 10/10/82
1983 - 4/12/83
1984 - 11/2/84
1985 - 11/21/85
1986 - 4/21/86
1987 - 7/8/87
1988 - 9/16/88
1989 - 6/19/89
1990 - 9/14/90
1991 - 4/28/91
1992 - 6/17/92
1993 - 3/17/93
1994 - 9/17/94
1995 - 6/2/95

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

wow, now I could go for another 30 trips box, the first one was soooo cool. I got to say this, What about Gainesville? 1980 show that still has not seen the light of day, the one before and the one after but not Gainesville. So that would be my pick for 1980, for 95, I got to go with 4-1 or 2 or the Birmingham show. 94 Spring any. More but that's just off the top of me head. Again, anything from 67-70 would be mighty fine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

What about Gainesville? I always thought it was funny that in the 30 trips liner notes from the Lakeland 1980 trip, Dave either on purpose or by sheer coincidence completely ignores Gainesville. Anyway, I always thought that November SE 1980 set ran together better as a group of 4, kind of like 5-5, 5-7, 5-8 and 5-9-1977 FWIW

Also, FWIW just wrapping up 9-26-81 with the Encore on Chuck Berry's B-Day no less. Where'd Weir get that, his trusty almanac? I like the idea of 30 Alternative Trips and I wanted to hear a Shakedown Street, so picked a dead freak curated one for today.

Have a Grateful Day everyone. :-)

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin', rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Munich May 18 1972

Just before the supernova Lyceum shows. Quite substantial. Dark Star. Dew. Sing Me Back Home. Underrated and absolutely worth a listen...........

Off to the morgue......

Rock on,

Doc
Whoever you talk to, I'm either overrated or underrated, it's all who you to talk to.........
P.S. I forgot to add:
Last 5:
Dead 5/18/72
Ellington:
1943-12-11 Carnegie Hall
1945-09-24 New Zanzibar
1948-12-10 Cornell. Now there's a Cornell worth listening to!!! LOL...........
1949-02-xx Hollywood Empire
Simply amazing stuff, maybe I was born too late.............

Munich, what a monster show. Yes, I think I will pop this one in today.

WTJ, I am assuming you listened to a audience version of the September 81 show?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Went w/ the Chappell Matrix. I'm a sucker for a good matrix and am usually quite satisfied with them. Early 80's benefit most from the matrix treatment imo. Why did Rhino/GDP go with a matrix on DaP 8 and not on the 1980 Lakeland Trip?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

There's nothing like it for me, because you can really hear the nuance. For me today it's 6-17-92 (first half of set II virtually identical to 6-28 Deer Creek) and if I have time on deck is, 12-3-92. I swear I'll get back to E72. Isn't Munich Moses Quasar's favorite? Just like Lille is Bolo's??

:-) :-) :-) It's Friday. Make it Grateful today all!!!!

-edit- What the heck melody is it they're toying with before Jackaroe on 6-17-92 set I?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

Sounded like it could be a jazz standard to me, but TBH my knowledge of classical music is far greater than my jazz chops. Vinny brought some classical chops back to the dead as I listen back. He was pulling out all sorts of Chopin and Beethoven here and there if you listen for it. And now, to chip away at the list. I know I will not be able to get to it all. The nuggets I've extracted thus far are 6-3-76, 6-17-92, 12-3-92, 9-26-81 and 11-23-78 (a couple weeks ago)

Finding I am enjoying Vince's contribution to the band more than I used to. Anyway, Staying Grateful here. 5-18-72 was nice for yesterday. I listen to 5-19-77 all the time. One I don't is 6-4-77. Hmmm. Something I might remedy later :-) :-)¯ :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Yes, 6/4/77, at one point we were searching for the lost soundboard. Not sure if they ever found one or had one returned. The audience is a little rough.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I thought I read (New Yorker? Nick P. article?) is that one big reason for the matrix release on DaP8 was because of the standout quality of the AUD. But that's 10 years ago, and my memory isn't to be trusted.

But speaking of the Fox, WTJ mentions that 5/19 show! Ahhhh. I, too, have that one in very regular rotation. It was like this back in the day, as set II was the very first tape I ever had from 1977. It was probably 20 years later before I ever heard the first set, and when I finally did it was so lovely to realize it was a cracklin' hot show from start to finish. I was glad that confirm that I hadn't placed a sort of 'newbie bias' on the show simply because it was a really early tape in my collection. I have the May '77 boxset that covers the week before, and it's all good stuff -- but I always come home to 5/19.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I just realized that I have Don't Let Go in my collection (aka JGB 5/21/76 at the Orpheum) and I've never listened to it. Got it playing now. I see it was a Friday night show, but it's working wonders for my Sunday afternoon. Cheers all

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good morning, rockers!

Pick Of The Day: Newcastle-under-Lyme, England May 24 1970

They'll always be an England, even if it's in Hollywood…………

A year after the Big Rock Pow Wow and here we are at another festival. From West Hollywood Florida to the Hollywood Festival, it’s the Dead’s first live appearance in Europe, and they deliver a fine show.

Decent amounts of grease. Two big jam sequences. A rare Attics Of My Life. There are some audience patches on circulating copies, but still worth a listen!

England is the paradise of women, the purgatory of men, and the hell of horses…..

Rock on!!

Doc
Whatever was the conduct of England, I am equally arraigned……..

Needed a boost today. Decided to fire up 8/13/1975 or One from the Vault.
Who is with me?

A few years ago I bought the remastered version they put out in 2007, man is it good.

Just love that introduction! The anticipation of breaking into Help on the Way.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It's been a while since I fired up 1ftv. I have the original GDM cds ripped to my FIIO X5. I'm hitting the road tomorrow so I will definitely tune into that since it has been a while since I did. Anyway, yeah that Bill Graham intro. sets the stage nicely. Are the remastered discs out of order, too? I should do something about that in my digital files....

Thanks for the picks and Have a Grateful Day all. :-)

P.S. DV have you ever been to or heard of the Casey Jones memorial trail near Pipestone? That's somewhere I will be visiting someday since I'm just a state over....

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

Out for the afternoon, set this up for this evening. Funny yesterday, thinking of this very one for H/S/F. Dan Healy's intro text ends with: "This represents the beginning of the release of the vault tapes". Who knew, the music never stopped.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

In the top 10 of all-time Dead shows.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Still hits the spot. Such a unique show and the recording is so good. Thank you Don Pearson and Dan Healy.

When I discovered the Dead in 85 and eventually picked up Blues for Allah, I remember thinking, wow, this release is definitely out there and at the same time so good. I used to have a Blues for Allah tapestry, loved it. I think it was thrown away during our last move.

Anyway, enjoyed the revisit today. Hope you all enjoy it as well.

If you don't have the remastered version, it is worth picking up.

WTJ, I didn't know the song order was off?
Never been to the Casey Jones Trial in Pipestone, but it looks fun.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

This was possibly the first live Dead I heard apart from the Dark Star from Wembley 4/8/72, on the Glastonbury Fayre triple album. About an hour of it was broadcast on the radio, which I taped. I think it was this recording that was then circulated as the bootleg "Make Believe Ballroom." I'll dig it out later - the official recording I mean. It's lasted the distance better than most music from 1975, that's for sure.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

My friends!!!

Pick Of The Day: Lyceum Theater, London May 26 1972

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future.......

The last show of the great and powerful, best ever Dead tour, and the last classic show with Pigpen still on board. Every show on the tour was a gem, but somehow the band really kicked it into overdrive for this one. Sides five and six of the original release were so intensely burned into our memories during those Saturday night tripping parties in high school, starting when it originally came out in November of 1972. It's been my favorite E72 show since forever, and yes I revisit it frequently. You should too!!!

In fact, I'm going to crank it up, way loud, on my morning commute today..............

The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion...........

Rock on, rockers!!!

Doc
Fear not for the future, weep not for the past......

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

According to my DeadBase X after a cursory look, the set break should be after Stronger than Dirt. Around and Around opens set 2. Not sure if there are other differences, but I might sleuth it later.

Stay safe all and Best Wishes. :-) :-) :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Have it going now, how could you pass it up. Disc 3 is some of the best Dead music you will ever hear.

Interesting WTJ, I have never owned a Deadbase.

Enjoy the weekend out there. Finally nice here in MN and plan on enjoying it to the fullest.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

A great sounding show, and one that has grown on me over the years. It doesn't really sound like any other show to me. The first set - second set structure doesn't seem to apply to this one, with Help-Slipknot-Franklins being maybe the highlight of the show, as well as the first numbers played. Great bass on Eyes of the World, and that's only the 5th song of the first set. I'll listen to the rest this evening.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

The Great American Music Hall.
The very first peak into the vault, truly a mysterious wonder in those daze…
Hadn’t heard this in forever. It really doesn’t sound like anything else does it?
Not like WOS 74, and not too much like post hiatus 76? So, in other words, cool sheet Mon!
Fully dug, especially the aural bliss. This one’s so clean extreme volume is easily obtainable lol.
Yassss, the H/S/F is magnificence. The other newbies are clear, precise, and fresh, if not the fully formed transporters they’d grow into. The old standbys are same mo as above, good but…?. After such a long listening absence, fresh perspective noticed the somewhat lack of extension on many of the songs. Remember thinking this would be top shelf if there was only a big, then…then, we get that sweet awesome Allah!!! This is the GD at their finest, matching the spaciest Other One or the scariest DS! I’ve felt and said all along, though they have so many great songs, everybody has songs, only the Dead can pull this otherworldly goodness off, and, not have it just sound like noodling.
Cool pick, fully dug!! And hey, it didn’t require a calendar ; )
Now where did mama hide those cookies up here?

EDIT: oh, can’t forget to mention 2 of my favorite Dead songs here, Stronger Than Dirt, and Sage and Spirit!
Boo yah!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, I like Stronger Than Dirt and Sage and Spirit a lot, too. Pity they got retired off so soon. I might dig out the cd with the acoustic Sage and Spirit on later - 2nd disc of the cd of "Reckoning". 10/31/80 Radio City, New York. I've got it here, in my hand.