• 7,825 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

Don't tell anyone, but I am smuggling a few extra shows into my desert island travel bag. Picking one is simply impossible.

• JimInMD

4/28/71

That Other_ One is Other Worldly and always takes me back to the first spin of S&_Roses. Among the first records I purchased from my limited revenue stream at the time cutting lawns in the neighborhood.

If I feel in need of an after burner, I'll be sliding in 4/5/71. It's nice to finish this with that closing twofer from this show. Puts me in a good working man's mood to get stuff done. It might even inspire me to cut my own grass.

Edit: The things you have to do to get pass the HeyCow elitists. They did not like the way I discussed cutting my neighbors lawns.

• musicnow

Doc, thanks to you I have that show. It is absolutely top tier stuff! Time for a listen.

• DeadVikes

Favorite Dead show Doc, I am in.

Favorite show of all time, interesting question.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life.....

This well known and deservedly classic Dead show crackles with an energy and intensity that even the Dead themselves could only rarely conjure. I must admit, this is my all-time favorite Dead show. It isn’t flawless, but it’s very powerful and has killer versions of El Paso, The Rub, Cumberland Blues, Morning Dew, Hard To Handle (best ever!), and The Other One. Throw in the big closing jam with TC and voila---magic!!! Without doubt, this is my “desert island” show………………..

You all know what I'm talkin' about..........

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water......

• icecrmcnkd

Hey Now

Applied randomly

I got the treatment a few days ago

• icecrmcnkd

Year

Hall

• JimInMD

July 15th Was not too shabby either.

Apparently Hundred_Year_Hall is a reserved word. The Hey Now police striketh me down for mentioning it in this post, well.. because I listened to it today and it kicked ass and thus inspired me. I'm pretty sure there's no copyright infringement for using those words in a posting, no harm done whatsoever. What a waste to build and install such an obtuse infrastructure. What do the head cheese at Rhino do, smoke tons of crack before the board meeting and dream this shit up? Goodness.

Hit the show mentioned above today (on it's birthday!), I could not resist. That Other One is Other Worldly and the transition out of Love_Light is so, so, so good.

• DeadVikes

Great show Jim. Good first set, recording is good. Yes, love that Scarlet, Touch, Fire,Man Smart. Good Miracle Stella Blue, Sugar Mag finish and then wait, what, a Dark Star encore. Billy must have loved this one.

Think I might check out 7/6/84 from Alpine next.

• daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

DL has the post-drumz section on this week's Tapers Section, with Believe It or Not in the ballad slot. I'm not familiar with any of the mid-summer West Coast '88 shows and this slice sounded really fine. When I've got more time will head back to the whole show. Also this week has the '74 Dark Star from the International Amphitheater, a personal favorite. Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Sounds good Bluecrow. Will definitely have time for this one today.

I am pretty sure we will get some sort of announcement this week.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Right on BC, we are indeed getting some tasty official clips recently, aren't we? 8-1-73, too on JOTW....

I wore the heck out of my XLII S tape of 7-31-88 especially because it was a 1st gen DAT to cassette transfer and was so delightfully crispy...7-29 has that complete PITB officially enshrined on the SMR compilation, 7-30 tends to be the one I've not tapped into yet...

I still have 4-14-71 set for a headphone listen and, since it's been a while, the legendary Princeton Rap will be on deck after a revisit to Monterey California 1988.

P.S. Not Robotic

Really fun show - glad to finally hear that and whets my appetite to hear other 2 shows plus those from the Greek previous week. WTJ - did not realize the Playing was from SMR box (don't own) but listening to it last night I was like damn this one is pretty crazy and then it came back to the reprise! Jerry also went off on the Deal! Greek and LS had the West Coast debuts for all those songs like Foolish Heart that they broke out in the Midwest a few weeks earlier. Like i mentioned, the post drumz segment is really fine - Wheel > Gimme Some Lovin > Believe It Or Not . Sugar Magnolia

Went with the Miller SBD - sounds very fine but still a couple gens from the masters. Be aware that the track listing is off after Set I with a crowd noise > Black Muddy River encore dropped in before Set II but not reflected in the track listing (a not uncommon problem I've found.) Phil is solid in the mix and aggressive in his playing.

and, keep your cool, Dave is serving up some Vancouver '66 as the first clip on this weeks Tapers.

gotta head down to the mine . . . . have a good week folks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Enjoyed the show Bluecrow. Recording is good, has it moments as you stated. I like the IKo IKo start, nice Queen Jane. Interesting China-Crazy Fingers-Rider, can't remember a sequence like that. That Playing was funky. Thanks BC.

Announcement tomorrow?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good morning, fellow rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Purdue University April 18 1969

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own…..

There were many fine shows in April 1969, all of which get substantial love and respect. So instead of discussing those, let’s try something a little different………….

Greasy Hard To Handle to open, followed by a powerful Dew, after which the band dives deep into a raucous CE/TOO/CE suite, exiting seamlessly into Sittin’ On Top Of the World. The wonderful wired weirdness continues with King Bee, Doin’ That Rag, Lovelight (27:27), and Cosmic Charlie. The Dead then close out the festivities with Beat It On Down The Line—an unusual occurrence in 1969, or any other year…………..

Miller’s remaster is very decent and worthy of a listen……….

Beauty is in the heart of the beholder….

Rock on!

Doc
After people have repeated a phrase a great number of times, they begin to realize it has meaning and may even be true......

I was able to get a headphone listen in yesterday, something I do when I want a closer listen and am not in a position to play it loud on a stereo. Soundboard could use some professional cleaning up but was decent if not a little distorted at times. I would call it a good, solid show but not with many moments that stood out more brightly than others. A show like this would be a swell addition to an April 1971 boxed boxy box set.

Anyway, I have a lot on the table with 7-29-88 I wanted to check out and 4-17-71 which I haven't listened to in forever and is a classic. Looking forward to more FUN picks.

Maybe we can do this Day in Grateful Dead history as an alternate for POT Day when we are in line for extra credit?

Here's some Grateful Dead you HAVE to hear!!! 8-14-81 is a permutation...(not calling it, but you see what I did there)

:-) :-) :-) Have a Grateful Day

P.S. Not a Robot

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am convinced this show is being saved as the centerpiece of an April 71 box, or series of boxes. It has x factor. What exactly remains from April, a lot is my back of the napkin.

The start of set II on 4-17 is sui generis and all of set I is on target. I am in the return jam after the drum solo in Good Lovin right now and I am going to stay tuned in. It has been a while for me on this one but it is a known classic.

Stay Grateful all :-)

-edit- Sold! Brooklyn Bridge for a buck and a quarter. What more you want for a buck and a quarter? :-)
-edit 2- Backing vocals in SMBH, is that Weir on falsetto?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

To me, music is that which connects human hearts, it is something that takes you to unknown levels...........

Day off, up too early, walked dogs, not enough coffee, let's roll!!!

Providence Civic Center, April 20, 1983. The first of five shows we saw on the tour, and after the fine Boston show in the Fall of 82, the first tour where we really worked hard to see more than one show. Were parts of New Haven and Philly better, musically speaking? Maybe. As I recall, Providence was tons of fun and a fine show.........

A Cumberland that maybe even JimInMD could love. Fine China/Rider to close the first set. Esau---new to us but enjoyable---to open the second set. Ho hum, another Estimated/Eyes. And Morning Dew. I never saw a Star but I caught lots of Dews and enjoyed them all..............

Miller's remaster has some glitches and patches, but overall listenable and worthy.........

Not all the 80s were bad, in fact we saw lots of fun shows and even a couple of classics..........so.......

Rock on!!

Doc
Music is the expression of the movement of the waters, the play of curves described by changing breezes......

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Has WilfredTJones fallen into the 1971 rabbit hole? Sir, what's gotten into you?!!!

Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lives they must live.....

Rock on, more coffee,

Doc
I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to go crazy..........

it's a good day to have the day off! Happy 420 to all. Been traveling, catching up now. Looking forward to 46.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Day late, but 4/20/83, now you're speaking my language. mmmmmmmmmmmmm...coffee. ;-)

-edit- It's been a while since I listened to 4/8/71 Boston, so I was thinking about hitting that big one if possible after 4/20. April '71 has been nice, but I've only done 4/14 and 4/17, with 4/17 getting the big nod from me.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Dare I mention Providence 1971? No, let's wait until next year...................

Although it is super crunchy!!!

Here is your throat back, thanks for the loan.................

Rock on!

Doc
You should be made to wear earphones

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

It's been a holiday as far back as I can remember.

Which was yesterday.................

A good memory is one trained to forget the trivial............

Rock on,

Doc
A retentive memory may be a good thing, but the ability to forget is the true token of greatness......

4/19 just rolled on by - thought I might go with Dave's 20, 12/9/81 Boulder, which had cover art that referenced that momentous occasion. Not sure if its been a POTD anytime halfway recent. Doesn't seem to get much love as a release. I saw the Rosemont show 3 nights earlier with that gorgeous To Lay Me Down. High school buddy was at Boulder and he loved it. Remember getting a letter from him a few weeks later, written as he listened to a tape of the show with a big old smoking crater Other One.

4/20/83 was a fun listen. Will revisit.

Have a great weekend folks. With the hockey playoffs underway, and as a lifelong Blackhawks fan, all I gotta say is Go Cubs!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hey BC, #20 is a great release and I believe I offered it up a couple years ago. Would love to listen to it again. Let's do it.

Gave 4/20/83 a listen. Good show. Recording was in the decent range.

Minnesota's old team, Dallas at the Wild tonight in St. Paul, and still cold as hell here.

Hope you are all enjoying some warm weather.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I hear there's a great Ollin Arageed Space>Shakedown from Fall 78, I'm not sure which show that is yet, 11/13/78?, 11/23/78?

Anyway, Happy Weekend! Stay Grateful :-)

-edit- Checking out the new Moskel Audience transfer of 11/23/78, the show before the well-known FM 11/24/78. Someone calls out for St. Stephen in the first set. Donna is in fine voice on the Looks Like Rain. May save set II for tomorrow, but that set II looks like a doozy... ;-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Set II Samson for a Sunday, Rare set II FOTD (for a Sunday), Dancin' is catching fire on the AUD tape, eliciting a hearty East Coast cheer - we'll see what the rest of the evening brings.... ;-)

Nothing left to do but :-) :-) :-)

-edit- Oh, there's a Joani Walker. I just have to see how it compares, because the Moskal has been grate so far on a headphone listen. The East Coast crowd is psyched...traversing the drum solo now, on the way to.... :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think there were a few set II versions. One from Cleveland in March of 81 comes to mind. Maybe I'll tune into that or sleuth out some more just for fun.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Perversely fascinating intrusions, but thanks for the quick boot! Sheesh.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I was getting creeped out.
Cheers to Marye

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

Well done Mary.

Looking at 3/21/90 for tomorrow. Copps Hamilton.

Any shipping notifications out there yet?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

My guess is 12/30/78. I am not seeing those songs played in the order listed, the second set comes pretty close here and the Space/Ollin Arrageed is indeed out there.

Set 2:
I Need A Miracle
Bertha
Good Lovin'
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain
Playin' In The Band
Shakedown Street
Drums
Ollin Arrageed
St. Stephen
Not Fade Away
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Around And Around

Sure glad they got the spam thing tamed.. We Don't Need No More Trouble.....Trouble we don't need.

Check it out, 11/23/1978 Capital Centre in Landover, MD. Really nice little Thanksgiving show. It was on a Thursday and Bob wishing the Audience and crew a happy Thanksgiving before the encore.

I went through it with the Moskal source and wasn't disappointed except the cut at the end of Playing into Around. The Joani Walker is complete and does not cut.

Have a Grateful Day all. :-)

Setlist
Mississippi Half-Step
Franklin's Tower
New Minglewood Blues
Stagger Lee
Looks Like Rain
Tennessee Jed
Passenger
Brown Eyed Women
Music Never Stopped

Samson and Delilah
Friend of the Devil
Dancin' in the Streets
Terrapin Station
Playin' in the Band
drums (Ollin Arageed Space)
Shakedown Street
Playin' in the Band
Around and Around

U.S. Blues

P.S. They were jamming on Ollin Arageed out of drums quite a bit in 78 especially in Nov./Dec.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

If you haven't listened to April 25, 1971, then get crunchy!!!

You will find truth more quickly through delight than gravity. Let out a little more string on your kite......

Rock on,

Doc
I'm so down to earth, I'm bringing gravity back.......

about 3-21-90 :-D COPPS

-edit 3-21-90 set I Intense and Satifying, Loose Lucy stole my face. Tight Victim>SOTM combo. Set II I saw Estimated>He's Gone. Oh, and it's got a set II...you know what ;-)

Thanks DV make it grateful :-) :-) :-)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

A local show for me.. but a couple years before I got hooked.

I was looking at a stale screen and replied before I saw your subsequent post. Ooops..

Funny thing about the Capital Centre, the tapes sound fine but unless you are in the sweet spot, that venue had terrible sound. Oh, and the Maryland State Police had a thing for the GD. Parish talks about Maryland having a phonebook thick document detailing the shinanagans that came with dead shows and the Capital Centre filled the parking lot with police on horseback to make sure we weren't smiling on a cloudy day. Saw quite a few shows there but was happy when they blew the thing up in December 2002.

Just getting back from a little time away. Mucho yardwork awaits.. then life as normal.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

4-21-71. Going to hit it...

May be my inaugural listen here...

-edit- Truckin'>Drums in the first set, 5 songs in?!? Talk about youthful energy and exhuberance...I see what you mean FD (the) 11....

-edit 2- It's got a Cumberland and where the heck is the set break?!? I'm going with a blind inaugural listen here.

Have a Grateful Day all....

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

April 26 beckons...........

4/26/69-can't go wrong with April 69
4/26/70-the great unknown
4/26/71-crunchy, greasy, jammy
4/26/72-creamy smooth gooey goodness

Decisions decisions decisions, take your pick. I went with Europe 72, a tour that never fails to deliver. I was going to listen to York Farm, but I seem to have misplaced it......

We must make the choices that enable us to fulfill the deepest capacities of our real selves.......

Rock on,

Doc
Most consequential choices involve shades of gray, and some fog is often useful in getting things done.....

What a show hey WTJ. Funny to me at least I always thought 3/22/90 was the better Hamilton show, but wow this show is no slouch. But are there any subpar shows from Spring 1990? I don't think so.
Love the start to this show, Half Step with a Minglewood, Queen Jane, Loose Lucy and a first set Standing on the Moon. Love these Hey Pocky Ways, a Crazy Fingers, Cumberland! Yes. Interesting and good Estimated into He's Gone and a good finish after Drums and Space. Love the Multi Track shows from this era.. On my home system I can definitely hear the difference.

Maybe this year we get another Multi Track Box?

Who has a pick for tomorrow? OB? Jim?
No tracking here yet.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I decided to give this a show a listen, after people here did me the courtesy of listening to a show I suggested a few weeks ago. In truth ( you might need smelling salts now) this is the first 1990 show I have actually listened to for a year or two. Consequently, the songs I enjoyed most are the songs unique to the Brent era, rather than ones I am so familiar with from the Keith era. The highlight of set one, for me is "Victim - Standing On The Moon" a real change in energy from anything in the past. Similarly, I enjoyed "Hey Pock Way" most in the second set. I winced in anticipation, when I saw they were going to play"Crazy Fingers" - a seemingly difficult song to pull off live - but I was pleasantly surprised.
I think I'll look in the Taping Compendium later, and see if my observations tally with what they say.

Postscript - I've just had a look in the Taping Compendium, and I'm way off beam! Quite a short review compared to the others - maybe not the best show to start off with for 1990?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

It's where I intuitively went this morning. Tightness describes the first 3 tunes so far.

Going to explore furthur... :-D

-edit- fing jerry encouraging bobby with the estimated call out of scarlet . .. .lol haha prankster jerry edit 2 maybe a little too much into ship instead of the wheel big key change. wheel would have flowed smooth

how many estimated>wheels? there's a rabbit hole i'd like to go down :-) :-) :-)

*spoiling the suspense 12-14-80 (1 time only)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Alright WTJ, 3/16/90 sounds good to me.
Thanks!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Trying to remember which Jan/Feb. 78 show had that Stronger than Dirt Jam. It's brief, but it's there.

Oh, BTW that Estimated>Wheel from 12-14-80 is pretty well executed, but different than it would have been in Spring 90.

:-) :-) :-)¯

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

4/28/71

There, I said it. No regrets. Doesn't get any better.

Music is given to us with the sole purpose of establishing an order in things, including, and particularly, the coordination between man and time......

Rock on, or not,

Doc
Music is my friend, my constant companion......

With appreciation for all you do, have done and will. I always thought time was invented so that everything didn't happen all at once. Which it did 13.8 billion years ago with the big bang. Before that, there was music. Isn't it just so human that up until a hundred years or so ago, we thought the dinosaurs were around until a few thousand years back, we didn't know how old our petroglyphs were... And it's taken almost this long before there's a primal, late 60s box set to be announced...

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Another fine Spring 90 WTJ. Always enjoyed shows that started out with Let the Good Times Roll and then into Touch of Gray. Great Bird Song, Blow Away.
Nice Scarlet into Estimated, Bobby loved the yelling during this time period. Solid finish. The Last Time encore! Great show.

I will hit 4/28/71 next.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Pre-empting the Doctor. Going with the Moore since the Board is incomplete and the Moore is moore than tolerable...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Holy Grateful Dead Batman, I've been pre-empted! Ouch, that hurts!!!

Here we are, April 29. The eternal debate, 28th vs 29th. Some shows are Overrated, with a cap O (8/27/72, 5/8/77, etc) and some are overrated-lower case O. I think the 29th gets the lower case version.

Does an Alligator, Midnight Hour, and We Bid you Goodnight trump the best ever versions of El Paso, The Rub, Cumberland Blues, Morning Dew, and Hard To Handler, along with a cracklin' Other One and short yet dreamy Dark Star? Listen and decide for yourself, Miller's remaster is top notch.

In years gone by, Deadbase polls always rated the 29th higher than the 28th, which I never understood. Don't get me wrong, it's fine as fine can be, but even excellent can fall short when it follows sublime............

Honesty is wonderful, but I suspect it's also overrated.

Rock on,

Doc
Whoever you talk to, I'm either overrated or underrated......
P.S. I will be listening---and cranking!!---the 29th on my way to my car dealer in just a few minutes......

Due the fact that I now only ever listen to this 4cd comp of these shows that came out twenty odd years ago, and only ever have done since it came out - I can no longer tell these shows apart. I know the Dark Star jam with T.C. is from the 28th and the Alligator jam from 29th, but apart from that, it's all a bit of a mystery. Strange how they used to release multi show comps like this without indicating which song came from which show.
Goes without saying that everything on it is essential wherever it came from.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Another one DR has found for me in my collection.
Likewise have not heard it in many years.
An anniversary listen does seem in order.
Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hey Daverock, the Wikipedia entry includes show dates in the Track Listing. Think I'll head back down that direction myself. . .

Jeffsmith - thanks, I'll have a look later. Without looking, I'm pretty sure the "Cumberland " comes from 28th - I can still remember listening to that on a tape back in the 80's - one of the best versions.
Unfortunately I think I was a bit rash saying everything on this set is essential. While the rest of this first cd is as good as I remember - better if anything - I really can't be doing with the last 15 minutes of "Good Lovin'. To the extent that the next time I play it , I'll miss that bit out. The bit leading into drums is dynamic - but that rap......I notice we have a 22 minute Lovelight on the 2nd cd, which I can't remember. Hopefully more music than vocals.

I was quite surprised looking on wiki how many tracks on Ladies and Gentlemen are actually taken from 4/25. I don't know why, but I had always assumed that nearly all of it came from the 28th and 29th.

To me, the 2nd cd seems to follow the same pattern as the 1st cd. Some really well played shorter songs leading to a really well played longer one that unfortunately degenerates into another Pigpen atrocity. But that doesn't detract from the rest of it - hopefully. I don't know if The Dead ever played with such conviction and power on songs under 10 minutes than they do here. Truly great music that owes nothing to extended jamming. Songs that have become over familiar, like Sugar Magnolia sound fresh and energetic-this one gradually losing it's country stylings on the way to becoming full blown rocker. El Paso is another one - beautifully sung.

There are a lot of covers on this album- I counted 23 over the 4 cds, with Goin' Down The Road cropping up twice.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

An atrocity is when innocents are killed. Which is what I have to deal with today.

A Pigpen song you don't care for is merely that, and nothing else. So next time, choose your words more wisely....

Doc

I am sorry my last post caused offence. And that you have such a difficult job.
I have to say, though, that your own choice of words left something to be desired. I am happy to listen to advice from anyone, but to be talked down to and told what to do? Forget it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

For some comic relief, google the horse race.

Anyway, who's got an 80's or 90's pick? Anything but Highgate or Boreal?

:-) :0) :-)¯

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin', rockers!!

If it's May 3, it must be Paris in 1972.

The exquisite China/Rider. Garcia's sublime, country-tinged picking in Next Time You See Me. The dreamy, propulsive psychedelia of Playing In The Band. A soulful Sing Me Back Home. The very fine, weaving-and-bobbing, in-and-out, focally intense jamming in the Truckin'/Other One. The Dead never played better, or sounded better. It might not be my favorite E72 show (that might still be May 26), but it is classic. So give it a spin............

Oh, I almost forgot. For all you Pigpen haters, there's 16 minutes of an atrocious Good Lovin'. So you might wanna skip that.................

Somebody said The 80s???? How about Carrier Dome October 1984? Ask Angry Jackstraw about that one. Maybe New Haven Spring 83, that one gave me a brain melt. There is actually much to be enjoyed in the 80s, if I remember correctly.............

Rock on,

Doc
Rick (to Ilse): "We'll always have Paris"..............