• 7,827 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

Since Jim has degreed that we can take more, here we go............

2/28/69
    5/15/70
    4/28/71
    12/14/71
    5/26/72

Of course there's so many others, but there's only so much room in my life raft.......

Doc
    No Hey Now LOL

• DeadVikes

Very hard to pick one Jim.

Here are my five in no particular order:

12/31/76
    2/18/71
    5/26/72
    11/6/77
    11/5/79

Is that five already? Shoot, didn't even make it to 1980.
    Edit. And I didn't include any shows from 73-74. Okay, this is tough.
    Too many to list.

• JimInMD

Don't tell anyone, but I am smuggling a few extra shows into my desert island travel bag. Picking one is simply impossible.

• JimInMD

4/28/71

That Other_ One is Other Worldly and always takes me back to the first spin of S&_Roses. Among the first records I purchased from my limited revenue stream at the time cutting lawns in the neighborhood.

If I feel in need of an after burner, I'll be sliding in 4/5/71. It's nice to finish this with that closing twofer from this show. Puts me in a good working man's mood to get stuff done. It might even inspire me to cut my own grass.

Edit: The things you have to do to get pass the HeyCow elitists. They did not like the way I discussed cutting my neighbors lawns.

• musicnow

Doc, thanks to you I have that show. It is absolutely top tier stuff! Time for a listen.

• DeadVikes

Favorite Dead show Doc, I am in.

Favorite show of all time, interesting question.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life.....

This well known and deservedly classic Dead show crackles with an energy and intensity that even the Dead themselves could only rarely conjure. I must admit, this is my all-time favorite Dead show. It isn’t flawless, but it’s very powerful and has killer versions of El Paso, The Rub, Cumberland Blues, Morning Dew, Hard To Handle (best ever!), and The Other One. Throw in the big closing jam with TC and voila---magic!!! Without doubt, this is my “desert island” show………………..

You all know what I'm talkin' about..........

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water......

• icecrmcnkd

Hey Now

Applied randomly

I got the treatment a few days ago

• icecrmcnkd

Year

Hall

• JimInMD

July 15th Was not too shabby either.

Apparently Hundred_Year_Hall is a reserved word. The Hey Now police striketh me down for mentioning it in this post, well.. because I listened to it today and it kicked ass and thus inspired me. I'm pretty sure there's no copyright infringement for using those words in a posting, no harm done whatsoever. What a waste to build and install such an obtuse infrastructure. What do the head cheese at Rhino do, smoke tons of crack before the board meeting and dream this shit up? Goodness.

Hit the show mentioned above today (on it's birthday!), I could not resist. That Other One is Other Worldly and the transition out of Love_Light is so, so, so good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

That is a great show. According to the cd notes it was recorded, along with shows in late January and the Feb-March shows, for possible inclusion on Live Dead. It probably won't happen - the song lists are obviously very similar, but it would make a great box set to release all the shows recorded.
The shows from 1967-1971 inclusive are the main ones for me in 30 Trips.

Wrote these notes on Monday morning while drinking my coffee and getting ready to do some work from home. After a while I was mostly distracted by the show.

I'll get to that Feb. 22 '69 show if I can, but I don't have that one handy. Hafta stream it.

The ETree identifier of this source is 115876, btw. I don't have the box set, so these are my first impressions.

It Must Have Been The Roses: Ok. /Now/ I'm awake. Possible tape change? There is suddenly a big improvement in sound quality for this hauntingly sensitive rendition. Jerry's voice is now clear above the guitars. Everything, save Phil, is suddenly much clearer and the sound field feels wider. Up to this point the tape had sounded like the tape the biker is listening to at the beginning of the Dead Movie. Nice harmony work during the refrain, blended well in the house mix.

Loose Lucy: Gettin' in the funk. Jerry's just perfectly behind the beat to make it nice and nasty. If the syncopation isn't just right, this tune can completely lose all form really quickly. Loose Lucy must be a pretty new song at this point. I have no idea when this tune debuted. They didn't do this in concert much, as far as I know. I was lucky enough to see'em do it once, but the performance I saw was almost unrecognizable. Something was wrong with the timing, so it sounded all backwards. I was embarrassed to not even recognize it until Jerry started singing. This is a nice treat.

I Know You Rider? Something seems to be wrong here. The info text says Money Money should be next followed by China/Rider, but we're just dropped into IKYR. Looks like some minor surgery might be needed on the meta data.

Money Money: Ok. Someone's just mislabelled these files. Man, this has always been one of my least favourite songs in the Dead's catalogue. I rarely skip songs on albums, but being the album closer on Mars Hotel makes it easy. I don't think I've ever heard a live version of it, so this is kind of a treat, in its own sort of way. Having not heard it in such a long time, I guess it's not such a bad song. The negativity of the lyric just sems to strike such a contrast to most of the other stuff in the repertoire. John Lennon, for example, has a lot of negativity in his lyrics, but when I listen to him, I expect that.

China Rider: Yeah. They're keepin' that funky groove going that was working so well during Loose Lucy. The transition jam seems to go almost immediately to an I Know You Rider feel. The guitar tone is very unusual here. It almost sounds like Bobby's Gibson 335 tone. He's playing lots of double-stops, where he plays two notes at a time even while soloing… wait… maybe that /was/ Bobby!? Some very cool interplay between Bobby and Phil before a guitar sound that is unmistakably Jerry joins in just ahead of the trademark unison bit before I Know You Rider. What is now clearly Jerry's tone keeps it going after the unison part, and now there's a Feelin' Groovy jam. I can almost see the smiling faces and twirling homemade sun dresses with flowers in the hair right now. Big, big ovation from the crowd as they settle into the Rider vamp before going into the first verse. They know what they've just heard. That was sweet, breezy, and smooth as can be. I'm guessing Jerry had some sort of equipment or other issue causing him to stop playing for a bit at the beginning of the transition. Oh, yeah, Jer, dig into that "On a north bound train" line. This and the out-of-place IKYR are going to get merged into one track when I get a chance.

Set II:
Promised Land: Yeah. Everybody's definitely up off their blankets now.

Bertha: Got a little "Yee Haw" from someone nearby for "All night pouring, but not a drop on me." It's quite amazing how inobtrusive the audience is, considering this was recorded with a handheld mic by someone just hanging out in crowd.

Greatest Story: Nice wah wah Jerry licks. Jerry's wah is so bubbly and has a rich swell, like the sound of a wave on the ocean. Using the rocking motion of the foot pedal definitely puts the player physically off balance, so I can understand why he seemed to abandon it later in favor of the Mutron "auto-wah" tone filter. Sounds so good here, though. Jerry's volume sounds cranked, though, totally drowning everything out. I ain't complaining. Oh, yeah. A little jam in GSET? They seem to have gone into something altogether different. I'm not sure if this is a set piece, but it feels unfamiliar to me. I know that I've heard occasional jams in Greatest Story, but they seem rare. This is definitely no longer the Greatest Story chord progression, but I don't know what it is, and then Wamp, Wamp-Wamp, right back into it. Now I'm gonna hafta start checking out Spring 1974 Greatest Stories. That was hot and adventurous, like maybe something went wrong and they fought through it… but maybe there was just a jam in this song back then.

Ship of Fools: Giving the manic dancers their first break of the second set. The taper is stopping the tape between songs, though, so who knows how long they spent tuning in between. Very nice harmony work from Bobby and Donna.

Weather Report: Seems a bit tentative in the earlier segments, but the Let It Grow jam is developing interestingly. The whole band just seems sort of in a gentle mood this night. Everything is soft and malleable, and most of all, creative, when they go off into improvised sections. The straight tunes are tight and, well, straightforward, but I'm hearing all sorts of novel ideas coming through during the instrumental segments. There seems to be a completely different confidence at work during this jazzy work out. You can hear Billy getting back to his swing roots and playing off Keith. This is fantastic. Such subtle interplay. Normally when I hear the full suite performed I wonder why they didn't continue to use the first parts, but in this case I didn't feel that way.

Peggy-O: Jerry's picking is quite aggressive, and his tone is very chimey, even behind his vocal. Relaxed tempo, even by Peggy-O standards. In this recording it sounds almost like Billy and Jerry doing a duet, but Keith adds some accents here and there.

??: What is this? A playful little jam and some quiet noodling where the audience's shouts and requests become more prominent. Bobby announces technical difficulties.

Truckin': Nice buildup, but not the major bomb drop I'm used to, and from there things start to get really weird. It's not spacy weird, just, "Whoa, what the heck is this?" weird. Some of the early 70s Truckin's could get totally abstract, so this is just the way they rolled back then. Great stuff. Gettin' that funky groove goin' from the first set again, even as the changes take on some jazzy influences. Bobby is very clear in the mix, and my oh, my it's gettin' Weir'ed. Jerry busts in with a burst of guitar feedback which seems to shock everyone for a moment, but they're still groovin'. This is the gold I look for in any show. It's funny because Mind Left Body actually sounds a lot like Loose Lucy. Billy and Phil getting' into a little funky-drummer exchange. Finally Phil breaks through in the mix with some space for him to hit that Bootsy one. In the info text "Jam" and "Mind Left Body Jam" had been listed separately, but they're actually all included in the Truckin' track, which is my preference. Cousinit made a real mess of this file set, but I can fix it. Rarely are there such glaring mistakes on the Archive, but this one has definitely been put together somewhat carelessly.

NFA: This interesting because I've been listening to a lot of Alligator era NFA's or Bean era NFA's, and that gives a nice context to compare to this Wolf tone… of course, there is a LOT of recording tech affecting the sound here, but even though there's a nice honk, everything seems so nice and round and gently muted. Hey. What's this breakdown in NFA. Pretty sure I've never heard that before… and GTRFB. THAT, was an interesting transition.

GTRFB: Nothing to worry about here. The old standby. Billy's hi-hat figure during the breakdown is, again, getting really funky with a swinging 16th note feel, or something. Very cool.

US Blues: Mars Hotel weighted setlist. What month did that come out? Good, tight version.

Johnny B. Goode: Full colosseum clap along for a high energy reading that does justice to the Check Berry original. Sometimes this can get a bit too languid. This one is rockin' hard.

On repeated listen, I've messed with the EQ some. First of all I bumped up the EQ preamp level, I dunno, about 10db, I guess. I then added a further 12db of 64Hz, and 125Hz on the 10 band EQ to bring Phil nicely into the mix, but also lowered almost everything else about 6db on frequencies that had been flat to make the bass frequency differential greater. The bass still isn't terribly defined, but it at least brings Phil into play. He was completely inaudible without EQ. Got just a touch more vocal by giving the 1KHz and 2KHz about 1db. The tape has a sort of nostalgic cheap car speaker sound, so I actually wanna preserve a bit of that… not that I could really get rid of it. There's quite a nice venue ambiance, especially when there is more space in the arrangements, like during the Mind Left Body Jam.

The vocal drop-outs others have mentioned were not audible to the audience.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by rockthing

Rockthing - good notes on this show - cheers! I'm going through it very slowly, but it's the L.P. I am listening to. Although it has the famous vocal drop outs, the sound and balance of the instruments sounds fine throughout to me. I have just played the side with Loose Lucy and Money Money on. A short side. The lyrics are a bit naff on both of them - but I like the music, and they were both played so rarely that when they do crop up, it's a welcome surprise to me.
I presume the version you have listened to has the earlier vocal dropouts too.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

>daverock>

The vocal dropouts are not evident in the audience tape, so that must have happened on the way to the board tape.

That said, the recording is slightly overpowered by Jerry and Bob's guitars from the taper's vantage point, but a little time with a simple Equalizer was enough to bring more Phil and better presence to the vocals. I do recall a few lyric flubs with the new material, but in the overall mix it didn't really jump out at me. Probably much more obvious in the official release/soundboard recording.

2/22/69>
Oh, my. I can see this is gonna send me on a primal quest. I have all these fall '69 and fall '68 shows that I've never listened to, but I don't have much from the spring of those years. I love this gentle psychedelia. It's really these delicate type of sounds that really trigger the senses. I'm only up to Dark Star at this point, but what a beautiful way to start a show.... oops, "The transitive diamonds?" Haha. I'd probably have trouble remembering my name if I were there, so whatever.

It's such a shame that we're restricted to streaming this show. Imho, if the official release isn't so significantly better sounding than one of these circulating boards that it isn't a no-brainer to buy it, then what's with the classism, eh? I know the boys need a retirement plan... but... --mini rant off--

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Austin, Texas February 23, 1970

I reluctantly discussed this at the end of last year. Here I am again. It appears that I’m stuck in a time warp. The galactic rock and roll union. I have no special talent, I am only passionately curious…..

It appears that the currently circulated recording of this show is the only surviving audio document from the Dead’s four show excursion through Texas in February 1970. It’s tough coming right after the wonderful, brilliant Fillmore West/Fillmore East shows earlier that month, and perhaps it’s not unexpected that the intensity level might come down a bit. That being said, this is still interesting, enjoyable, and worthy…..

The band is in 1970 electric/acoustic/electric mode. The circulating recording appears to be missing part of the first electric set, coming in during Know You Rider. For fans of acoustic Dead, this set is nice---Monkey And The Engineer-Little Sadie-Me And My Uncle-Black Peter-Seasons Of My Heart-Uncle John's Band. The festivities are completed with a jammy NFA and Mason’s Children.

The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind. I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity……

Did Bear travel to Texas, and did he record? Banana boxes, reveal thy mysteries…..

Rock on,

Doc
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods……

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

ROCKTHING.............

Check your PMs...........

Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend........

Rock on,

Doc
I frequently hear music in the very heart of noise.......

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin', rockers!!!

For all you completists out there----as well as Row Jimmy fans----the talented Mr Miller just put out a "fixed" version of the fine St Paul show from February 17, 1973. Would make up part of a nice box set from early 1973----2/9, 15, 17, 19............

Ah well, one can dream..............

Rock on, happy Friday!

Doc
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before........

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Rockers!

Lunch time. Death takes a breather. We're in the land of the living, gotta eat lunch.

The "new, fixed" 2/17/73 was up at Lossless Legs first thing this morning. So, it sometimes pays dividends to get up early............

So, one can get it there, or I can supply it to anybody who needs/wants..............

The wise man does not lay up his own treasures. The more he gives to others, the more he has for his own......

Rock on,

Doc
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure......

You cats are already on to 1973. I'm still savoring the gentle respite in the oasis of Austin.

Death don't have no mercy, but there's always time for lunch.
Thanks for reminding me of LL. I need to see if I can get reinstated over there.

Grateful Dead Live at The Auditorium, Austin, Tejas on 1970-02-23
Harpur College was another of my heavy, heavy rotation tapes back in the day, along with the 2/18/71 Capitol Theater show I've already mentioned numerous times. Both were massive inspirations. For what seems in hindsight like a fairly significant period of time, if it wasn't one of those, it was Reckoning.

I Know You Rider: Lovin' the energy and grit of this Rider. It's almost angst.

High Time: This is a song! It's a pretty weird song, too, and after attempting it several times, myself, I must say it isn't surprising it wasn't played often. Damn, it's hard to sing. I submitted a completely deconstructed version of this for the February Dead Covers Project a few years back. I made a point of not revisiting to the original before recording, just going off memory and some notes left in an old binder of songs. I'm sure the ever-growing defenders of canon were thinking, "You ain't doin' it right if you ain't readin' it off a teleprompter." It was an "interpretation". Lol.

Dire Wolf: What a lyric. An electric version, no less. Pretty mellow electric set, almost acoustic.

Yellow Dog Joke… ah… well way to go for completely screwing up the joke, Bobby… actually, I'm not sure I've ever heard him make it all the way to the punch line. We should all heed Jerry's advice and "Don't encourage him." Everything was so light and positive in these days. Phil could be a bit surly, as we've already heard in this tape.

Monkey and the Engineer: This was a standard in my old folk-rock duo. My partner played it and I just followed along. I'd have to start from scratch to figure out how to play it again. Such good stories in these tunes.

Little Sadie: Nice. This wasn't on the Harpur College tape or Reckoning. Another dark story. I don't see how they could possibly be breaking strings playing such gentle music.

Me and My Uncle: I don't recall hearing an acoustic version. It's a great song and works in any format. At this point everyone hadn't already heard it a million times. Imagine that!

Black Peter: One of my favourite tunes ever. Doesn't get much darker than a song from the point of view of a death bed. Started doing this one myself occasionally a few years ago, but I always need a cheat sheet for the bridge. Nothing repeats. There are some interesting mnemonic connections between the chords and the words that help. Just have to sit down and do my homework. Ahh… yeah, Pig sittin' in nicely on the organ. This song needs a really delicate hand, but the organ adds a nice little gospel flavour. If only Pig coulda added just a touch more flair to his playing to fill in some lines before Jerry takes his solo. Pig's got the tone.

Seasons of the Heart: Never heard this before. Great pick! Thanks.

Uncle Johns: Have heard this one a few times. 😉

Not Fade Away: I'm gonna call the union! The Galactic Rock'n'Roll Union! That needs to be a band name, or a song, or something! Crazy to think this tune was in their set their entire career. Some good ol' primal energy here. Jerry's "wild" tone. He must've had the amplifier turned WAY up, cause it sounds like he's not in the mix at all. His guitar is just being picked up by a vocal mic, or something. Basically, no drums, either. I can't keep track of which guitars he was playing in the early years. He seemed to play whatever was available after giving up the Starfire. Sounds kind of like a Stratocaster, The Graham Nash Strat, perhaps? Alligator did not come on the scene until later, if I recall correctly. This tone has even more of a stereotypical Stratocaster sound than Alligator, which retained very little Fender electronics by the time it gets heard on Europe '72. Anyone? Oh, cool call and response with Pig. TC has already left at this point? I need to get my timelines straight. Bobby diggin' in with some soulfully aggressive singing, rather than simply aggressive.

Mason's Children: I can't recall ever hearing this, either. The name comes up often, but it's not on anything I've listened to regularly. Again, thanks for this pick! As you say, not exactly high-energy stuff, but some very rare pieces here. Always appreciate the chance to learn something new about this fascinating family.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by rockthing

Haven't listened to this show in a couple of years and wow, I think I like it even more now. A+ on sound quality and both sets deliver high energy Dead. Love the NFA, Black Peter, Around and Around and close it out with Werewolves of London. I went back and read the liner notes again and low and behold, they were written by Blair Jackson. Since I have 78 on my brain, I think I will check out Dave's 15 from 4/22 in Nashville. Of the three released from this time period 4/24 seems to be the top dog in my book. The William and Mary show is good, not great. On to Nashville.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Continuing on with 73:
3/16/73
3/19/73
3/21/73
3/22/73
2/22/69
Plus miscellaneous spins of DaP 45
Now playing 3/27/83, followed by 2/23/70.
Don’t have Dave’s 7, one of 5 I don’t have copies of…
Hmmm, that’s a bold statement DV as DaP 37 blew me away.
Perhaps because I was not expecting it to be and sound as good as it was?
Every show I’ve heard so far from this tour is good, highly recommend 4/11 and 4/16 too!

Agree, like DaP 13 better than DaP 42.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

You don't have #7 OB? We need to change that, I think you would really like this show.

I will definitely go back and listen to #37 again. I know I had it up within the last couple of months.

I did listen to #15 from Nashville over the weekend and I don't think Bob was happy with the first set, "That's it, we quit" Good show and the sound quality is as good as #7. Nice Estimated Eyes and Wharf Rat.

Do you have any recommendations from your recent tour of March 73?

I mean, this is a hot period. What a tour this is. More from this tour would be welcomed.

Slow day on the site.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

mmmm..... I might have to compare and contrast. It went down in my ever changing mind that Normal was, well it has that Scarlet Fire & Terrapin into drumz.. but Nashville had a crisper sound and better separation between the instruments, plus a really good Peggy-O and Estimated Eyes. Both shows have a good Lovin', but full disclosure the Bobby GL's never did it for me, too formulaic and his rants did not come across as genuine as Pigs. So a little hotter v better sound. But don't consider this an analysis, my listens tend to be more influenced by focus and frankly my mood and receptiveness.

I did both all 73 shows consecutively years ago and '78 through May.. but I am always doing stuff so I don't have the rabbit ears of OB and Rock Thing; their attention to detail is most appreciated and enjoyable to take in. Plus.. I'd gladly pay the price of an IMax theatre experience to listen to a show in casa Oroborous just to take in his personal, home edition Wall of Sound. I forked out big bucks 20 years ago for my system but it pales in comparison.

As for March '73, I walked away big on Philly and Baltimore but Boston Garden did not register and in hindsight it's hot, hot, hot. When I weigh on a show, it's an opinion at a point of time that can be bribed by party favors and mood for the day. A mortal flaw.. first world problems.

So I am to revisit 4/78. I think I need to work a little less and live a little more. I pulled down the new 2/17/73, that's on my list. I'd like to take in some Fall and Winter '73. A compare and contrast of the last two shows of the year perhaps.. Did Dick pick the right show for DiP1? Inquiring ears want to know.

I'd like to contribute more.. but it's been a challenging year full of distractions. Summer is coming, so there's that.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hello, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Family Dog At The Great Highway, February 28, 1970

As a matter of self-preservation, a man needs good friends or ardent enemies, for the former instruct him and the latter take him to task……

In November, we were teased with the Little Sadie and Black Peter, so we know that an excellent recording is in the vault. As far as early 1970 goes, the “big guns” of the Fillmores get most of the love, respect, and recognition, but this Family Dog run has some doggone good music!

Call it a Lovelight sandwich, a grateful buffet with something for almost everybody. Electric/acoustic, grease, jams, old and new, all laid out as if on a platter. Dig in and enjoy!!!

Those who have virtue always in their mouths, and neglect it in practice, are like a harp, which emits a sound pleasing to others, while itself is insensible of the music…..

Rock on!

Doc
Most men are within a finger's breadth of being mad…..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I’ve enjoyed them all so far DV, but maybe it’s me, some seem to sorta plod for a awhile before they pick up steam in the second set. Recordings were inconsistent too…but?…maybe it was me, as Jim just said so we’ll, sometimes set and setting can have as much influence as the music itself! I actually got to sit a relax and listen to most, a couple I had on while doing household stuff, but I don’t think thats it?
I’ve always been a huge fan of fall/winter 73, one of my personal top tours, and I purposefully haven’t dug into summer 73 too much as you’d think we’d get some of those sooner than later, but until I got the spring 73 Dave’s, I knew nothing about that tour. 21 With 21, I was a tad nonplused at first, probably just hung up on no Dark Star or other head noise nonsense, but it’s grown on me a lot since. That whole jam sequence is superb, and I’ll take a HCSS anytime!
16 is one of my favorite Dave’s, so much so I purchased a copy off the black market! 32s good, actually need to listen to that as I’m not as familiar as I should be. I haven’t gotten to Crotchfester or Bu faf a lo yet…
Every show has a nice big jam sequence, many killer 73 Eyes, a couple ridiculous PITB, some good HCSS, and the Dark Stars and accompanying jams etc, so worth it even just to check those out. Sorry to be so vague but it’s all kinda a blur. As I say, all very similar: relaxed with mostly good playing, until the big jam goes through the roof, rinse and repeat…lol.
So far, I think the February shows are a bit more to my liking?

Spring 78: of the dozen and a half or so on this tour, I think I’ve hit 10 so far. Some of the Beatty’s are spectacular and this tour took me by surprise. Getting the big blown away surprise of 4/15 (DaP 37) opened up that flood gate as the only official release I have is 37. I had no clue about this tour before, so yeah, big surprise!
Hoping Realgone spits out Dicks 18 and that I can get disc copies of the other 2 Dave’s as long/short I don’t do files…actually might try to get 15 off the black market as sometimes those aren’t too outrageously expensive. Didn’t get subs until 21, but since I have a few others, thinking someday I’ll try to get real copies of the few missing so I’ll have 13 onward, with hopefully copies of the rest. I have at least copies of all but 5.
I still think, partly due to the fine Beatty’s that there’s a potential for a spring 78 box, but maybe not enough interest for that?
Awright, gotta head to the mine, staycation is over for now : (

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

it had been a long time since I'd spun 2/22/69 from 30 trips. everything you'd expect from a show from that time. really enjoyed it and will revisit fairly soon as is my want with shows that tickle my fancy. thanks Doc! on a side note, the one technical difficulty with that listen is that there is something about those discs that my external disc drive (LG M-Disc) really didn't care for. at one point it flat out quit reading Disc 1, something I've never had happen, and while it didn't quit during Disc 2, at several points towards the end it made noises that I've never heard from it before that seemed like the electronic equivalent of an old man wheezing up a hill who was barely going to make it (or maybe not!) this isn't disc rot, its something in how the discs were manufactured i'm guessing. from time to time I've had various weird issues with playability of discs from the GD folks that I've never experienced with any other CDs I've bought. it's very odd. And on the QC issue, I recently pulled out a disc from the Giants box to play it for the first time and there was a big splotch of an opaque light gray liquid on the playing surface, sorta looked like white out except for the gray color. i have never seen anything like it CD-wise and i haven't the faintest idea what the hell it could be or how it could have gotten there. I have a CS request in with Dr. Rhino -we'll see what happens.

DV - 4/24/78 (DaP 7) was a show that had never really resonated with me - not when it was first issued, and not on subsequent revisits. And I've really gotten into the other released shows from that tour, Nashville and William and Mary. Well, finally got my head properly calibrated and my ears on straight and had an excellent listen. And then I spun it again. Full speed ahead Spring '78 Jerry and the Wolf with that excellent Betty sound. Thank you for suggesting that one.

Now on maybe my third run through past few days of 2/23/74 (DaP 42). It sounds freaking fantastic! All of it! Blowing my mind! Nothing left to do but smile smile smile!! (Yeah I'm really digging it.) Still haven't cued up the next night, cause I keep getting distracted by all the other good stuff. Maybe tomorrow.

Gonna have to visit those shows from late February, that one from Austin and Doc's most recent POTD from the Family Dog.

Take care folks. And great to hear from you Rocktihng!. Rock on!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by rockthing

Oh, my. My 1973 homework is cut out for me. A(nother) very weak period for me.

What can I listen to immediately?*

I can cue up 2/28, 3/24 (Oh yeah, that's a good one! Looks like I snagged a Betty reel before the dark times)... Heart marks from He's Gone all the way through Sing Me Back Home. Another in the first set for Playin', and 5 stars for the Loser that precedes it. Nothing else is marked, but a first set Stella Blue? Sure!

Getting into summer/fall, 7/28, 7/31, 8/1, 9/8, 9/17, or 12/4 and I actually have Dicks Picks Vol. 1, for a change. lol :-)
Some of those I really haven't listened to much. Roosevelt Stadium seems to have had some mojo, but I think I only listened to Jerry's birthday show for the first time last year, and then probably only once.

*Btw, my Internet was down for 24hrs yesterday. First there was electrical work being done on the building, so no power from 9 to 5! Then, they managed to screw up the phone lines and couldn't get it fixed until well after 9am this morning. So glad I don't depend on Spotify! lol... or streaming from the Archive ;-)

I had a taste of that mind bending Playin > Wharf Rat > Playin' from 6/8/74 last Sunday, which must be somewhere in the ballpark of the 73 scene we're about to get into. I can't even remember when that had been Pick of the Day.

Sorry, my listening notes are now way out of sequence as I'm trying to keep pace.

In the meantime I have been thoroughly obsessed with the 2/22/69 Dreambowl. That was a fantastic pic.
It's almost been on repeat. Someone needs to make a meme with the (apparently) famous guy on TV getting more and more blown away in each picture. Cool. early '69 show... An acoustic set! ...Mountains of the Moon, too... Mountains of the Moon sequeing into an interplanetary Darks Star... back to back with The Other One!!!!! Mind blown.

Whole show is excellent. Many many thanks for the "liberating" experience, too.

Also, RE QC at Deadville... I discovered last year that nugs net has 16b441 downloads of a ton of official albums, some not even available for download here. Shipping kills me, so even though I love physical media, I go for data. Anyway, even some of the downloads have had some dodgy editing or sonic anomalies. I gave nugs a FYI, but they said that's how the data comes and they aren't cleared to mess with it.

I had the 11/30/80 Fox Theater 2nd set in my music player while I was out yesterday. Lovely, lovely Ship of Fools. Brilliant Playin' into drums into, not quite space, it almost sounds pre-composed, but I kept hearing these Uncle John's Band hints, then it ended up being The Wheel and for a while I thought I was losing my mind, but then they finally get to UJB to close the show. Although I was listening while mainly focussed on work, there were a few points were I wondered if someone ought to make a loud noise because it seemed as if the band was about to doze off. Super mellow mood, which has its merits. Not knockin' a laid back show.

The real revalation, though, was the 2/19/71 recommendation, which I finally listened through last night.

2/18 will always be like a favorite sweater or comfort food. However, I can see why you might say the19th is stronger. The 18th is definitely a bit tentative by comparison, what with all of the new songs and Mickey leaving the band, it would be. Although the first part of the 19th didn't really jump out at me, possibly, psychologically, I could have been a bit standoff-ish knowing this show was challenging one of the most nostalgic tapes from my meagre old collection. However, right away it struck me how different the feeling of the new tunes were even though they had only debuted the night before.

By the time they hit China/Rider on the 19th, though, they seem full of confidence and it sounds like they have found their feet with the new/old lineup. This tune is grooving hard.

The main thing that struck me about this show was how much it is a Pigpen showcase. Pig is always on it, but the band is rockin' hard behind him on every number from the gritty It Hurts Me Too, to Good Lovin', and beyond. This may be the heaviest Easy Wind I've ever heard. It may be the somewhat gnarly sound quality of the Vadnais transferred audience reel that really adds a welcome taste of foreboding evil to all of Pigs tunes. Probably it's the comparatively sparse arrangements that allow the listener to take a quick breath and really find themselves inside the song. I don't know. Caveat: I did tweak the EQ a bit, but the jury is still out about whether my adjustments improved the sound or not. lol.

Anyway, just wanted to get out that note about how f'n heavy the Pig tunes are on 2/19. Really felt it.

Thanks again, everyone!

Hey Bluecrow, not sure if we ever listened to this show from the Uptown Theater in Chicago, 11/18/78?
I have it going now, sounding good so far. I still have 78 on my brain.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hit this up yesterday. Interesting show. Unfortunately suffers occasionally from the usual primal idiosyncrasies, but otherwise a fine show. Really enjoyed the unusual? set lists and the flow between songs. Loved the LL split into beginning and end. Wonder if they did that elsewhere?

Going with Greek 83 next couple daze. Maybe I’ll hit some 78 this WE. I don’t have 11/18 on my todo list but not home so can’t check Db, but it doesn’t sound familiar? I’ll follow up…

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Great show, glad you're on it. first posted about it maybe year and a half ago and have come back to it at least a couple times on my own. Miracle > He's Gone > Other One > drumz is off the hook. '78 on the brain, it's been known to happen. Glad to revisit.

Was listening to 2/24/74 through Disc 2 yesterday/this morning. Just incredible sound and playing, same the night before. What a treat to have both of those shows released..

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good morning, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Fillmore West, March 3 1971 (Airwaves Benefit)

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company............

March 1971----little known, little appreciated, lost between the heights of Port Chester and April. Here the Dead kick off the month with a hometown show that is probably never ever on anybody’s playlist………

Admittedly, it’s a bit short, and sounds a bit ragged, but even “average” shows back in the day have something to recommend it. There is a decent amount of grease, including a slunky Hard To Handle, King Bee, and a rare Good Lovin’ encore. Plus some cowboy Bobby and a decent Truckin’/Other One.

While perhaps not sonically the equal of some other early 71s, the 2020 Clugston remaster is very listenable, and worthy………….

Repartee is something we think of twenty-four hours too late……

Rock on!!

Doc
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not……

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Really good show Bluecrow. Recording is great. The beginning of Jack Straw is cut, but we get most of it. Nice Sugaree, Stagger Lee, It's All over now, TMNS. Great first set. Second set starts with a solid Scarlet Fire. Yes, Bluecrow, the I Need a Miracle, He's Gone, Other One is a good ride. Short run out of drums, with Wharf Rat, Sugar Mag, OMSN.

Definitely recommend a listen to this show and or repeat listens. Need to spend some more time with Dave's 42 and will check out March 3, 1971.

Thanks all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Dave L. liner notes start out, "I have no idea what happened in the days between April 24th and May 5th, 1978 when the GD took a brief break between the two legs of their excellent spring tour, but when the band returned to the stage May 5th it was with a very different sound. I've always viewed April 24, 1978 as the end of the precision, high octane, perfection-every-night 1977 GD sound, and May 5 as the start of the looser, more playful 1978 sound. Whatever went on in the interregnum, the band's sound changed quite dramatically." Maybe found a good new source of Persian or pure Peruvian?
Another really good tight show right out of the gate and a great 2nd set. Always liked LL>Supplication and seldom seen as a set opener. Plenty to love here including a Rhythm Devils. Good segue from the latest shows in DaP45.
Turns out I don't have DaP 7 either. Sounds like Oro and I will be bidding against each other on eBay, LOL.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Finishing it up, on Stella now.
Went in order.

GD 1980-06-19 113300.sbd.miller
GD 1980-06-20 113301.sbd.miller
GD 1980-06-21 113302.sbd.miller

For cassette masters these sound pretty good.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Count me in on this run Conekid. My god, the hardest working band ever makes the track up to Alaska and plays in a high school auditorium and blows the doors out. Yes release it. No frills, just the music on CD, for us old dinosaurs.

Hey Firstshow, 78, so many different periods in one year. I think the whole year is great and of course the introduction of the Shakedown Street tunes.
Oh and check your PM.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

A second follow up reply now in PM to you.
Cheers

Lots to catch up on here on POTD. Good thing as it's snowing again. Six out of the last eight days so far. Not much accumulation here at 5800 ft. but the San Juans look gorgeous. My buddy in Crested Butte has had 100 inches just in January, and 280 inches for the season as of Feb 28. Should help greatly with the severe drought. And March used to be our snowiest month. We'll see.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

What would be people’s preference, Plangentized cassette masters only, or matrix them like 11-30-80?

I’m not sure what I would want. Plangentizing the cassette masters may make them sound pretty good by themselves. Adding a little audience might help, might not.
Maybe Dave/Rhino should give us a song from the tour in each form and let us vote.
Box artwork could be Alaskan art, similar to what was done for the PNW Box.

I liked that run of shows. Sometimes it sounded like December 79, sometimes like Fall 80.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Just finished 3 autopsies. Just another day at work..........

Not a huge fan of 1980, but those Alaska shows would make a fine box set. Maybe they could squeeze Lewiston in there somehow, Maine is sorta like Alaska, yes????

Rock on,

Doc
When performing an autopsy, even the most inveterate spiritualist would have to question where the soul is........

After groovin on the 83 Greek shows last couple daze, hit 4/17/83, 3/3/71, and currently doing highlights from 11/18/78…

Tomorrow thinking bout 3/30/73, with 9/27/93 extra credit!
That oughta be an interesting juxtaposition.

Greek 83:
Solid WE! Starts out good, but seems to get better as they go. The shows I’ve heard from there seem to do that?
Second night, second set seemed the peak to me, but I enjoyed them all, and all were solid!

4/17/83: hadn’t heard this one in a loonngg time. They definitely come ready to rock, but occasionally their unbridled enthusiasm leads to some slop. H/SF illustrates this as their smoking, but not tight on the transitions etc. Now sometimes you can hear them let off the gas or hesitate slightly when that occurs, not here, mere speed bump that does not wan their enthusiasm a bit lol. The SS tunes are fun, but more loose than I even remember.
An enjoyable show, but I wouldn’t call it top tear? I can perhaps see why Dave didn’t pick this one.
Still think tour kudos go to Providence, Morgantown, Hampton, Binghamton, and of course the Dap Rectum show.

3/3/71: one of the ten or so outta the whole year I didn’t hit in 2021, so good to check that box.
Recording starts out great, inconsistent in other spots. Always dig a good HTH, and it’s fun to hear the still evolving new stuff.

11/18/78: checked the Bible and it was noted as a BC POTD and after my listen I considered it good.
Rehashing some highlights as we speak, and yes Mick, we need more cowbell! Hey, any of you Headphone folks out there catch what all the hubbub after Heart of Me between Billy and ?…, several FUs etc and other unmentionable comments…at first I thought it was serious, but upon review maybe their joking around. At one point you can hear several voices tossing FUs around lol.
That sequence BC digs is mos def the peak of this one, good sheet Mon!
Onward!

Oh, Alaska, dug that run in 2020. Would be nice as part of 1980 super box!
Hey, might only be so many left, I say let’s start stocking up and don’t be stingy with the shows boss!

ISTSHOW: never done any eBay or online stuff, just a Dino I guess lol.
Does look like there’s some reasonable choices, but…I’ve done some black market pickups via uncle Jeffry just cause it’s easy and hopefully reliable, but the prices are usually higher. Figure if some kind soul can burn me 1, 4, and especially 7, I can prolly afford 14, 15, 20 on the black market. That’d give me at least copies of all, with officials from 13 onward…someday : )

Ok, think I’m caught up? How bout Jimbo, things settling down for ya yet?

Continuing with my unheard spring 73, hoping to hit 3/30/73 from good ole Crotchfester mañana with a 3/27/93 dip into extra credit!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I would think the cassette masters with Plangent would be pretty good.
They sure sounded great with the MSG Box.

I will check out 3/30/73 tomorrow OB.

Hopefully repeats are okay. Not sure where I was during that period, asleep at the wheel, most likely.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

of the last hour was the KPFA marathon - Dark Star > Jack Straw > Sing Me Back Home (9/10/72)

holymotherofgoodness

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Winterland March 5 1972 (American Indian Benefit)

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. This is not forbidden to you. That being said, I’m not saying you SHOULD listen to this. In fact, I’m not even saying you COULD listen to this. Because, frankly, this is one tough listen!!

First of all, it’s very “incomplete”, with extensive audience patches, including almost half of the first set. Second, the soundboard portion sounds like, well, like it’s been stomped on.

And speaking of “incomplete”, the second set seems incredibly short, although it does have some cool jamming in the Good Lovin’. Is there a reel missing?

With so many good 1972 recordings, what happened with this one? Perhaps it shall be a “returned reels” release one day…………

The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause….

Rock on,

Doc
When your friends begin to flatter you on how young you look, it's a sure sign you're getting old…..

Wowza- A beautiful, "gentle respite in the oasis of Austin" to quote Rockthing from a few pages back. Another acoustic set jewel from early '70. very very sweet. that Me and My Uncle reminds me of Other Ones 8/29/2000 Fiddlers Green when Bobby brought out the acoustic for MAMU (> Ripple) and I really really dug it and thought wow that's the energy and sound forMAMU that was missing all those years. LIttle Sadie, Black Peter, Seasons of the Heart, Uncle Johns. Love it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hmmm, thought I did 2/23/70?
Well, I’m onto 3/31/73 at the moment, so I’ll have to check the above out later…

3/30/73 was a mixed bag. 1st set pretty 73 status quo, but unfortunately the recording wasn’t very good.
Second set (Eaton/Miller) sounded much better, and like the spring shows we’ve checked out the second set brings the goods! Besides the awesome Truckin jams, Eyes etc, these GSET have been smoking on this tour.
Not a bad show, but perhaps not top shelf.
EDIT: day late and a dollar short…looks like upgraded version mislabeled as 9/30/73.

This 3/31 sounds better and exhibiting nice energy from the start! (So far).

3/27/93: enjoyed. Not a bad show. Long/short I had sorta wrote 93 off, but I’ve heard about a half dozen now that have all been good, if not top shelf, which is fine. Hey, they all can’t be “the best”!
I got the Boxilla music only addition in 2018 in the midst of a shit storm I’ll never forget. I did manage to get it all ripped, but still haven’t heard them all, most, but not all. This show was one of them, so it was nice to finally check it out. Nice Bucket Bertha open, but Same Thing kinda brings it down for me. Never really liked this song no matter who did it, I guess I like the Bands version off of Jericho, and I guess it was a needed change from some of the blues tunes Bob beat to death! Really fast PEGGY O. Ons that plod too much aren’t great, but too fast doesn’t seem to work for this song? Good Jane, like Broken Arrow, but Phil’s trying to hard: I’ve heard better for sure. Fun Lucy, but as someone posted recently elsewhere, it’s like a different song. I don’t mind, and it’s a good version. Decent Cassidy followed by the last Casey Jones, which reminds me, what happened to Casey Janes? Love the tie dye bra, thanks again!
CJ not a burner, but fun surprise none the less.
Second set highlights include an Eyes opener, nice Days Between, OMSN closer, IFTL, which i used to think was a tad short and cheesy for a “real” encore, but years later it’s kinda fun. Jer sounds like he’s having a good show and the pinnacle has to be the Sweet Comes A Time which shows he could still bring it on occasion!
Don’t know the year well or well enough to really compare but would say I liked this one but perhaps not as much as the excellent show from 3/17/93, or 3/24/93 which was a nice VGUY POTD, but better than 9/13/93, which of course is on Dave’s list lol. Buckeye and Boo fah fa low are decent, and I remember thinking the RT from Cal X was a nice surprise. So like most years, there’s always something, just gotta poke around!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

3/31/73: boo yah, this bad boy perhaps hangs with tour tops.
Dick talks about this one in his 73 notes…basically “the jams” and he ain’t wrong!
Proper!
2/23/70: lol think I might of done this one but not marked that I had, though I marked it as a Doc POTD.
Anywho, great part of losing your mind: you can enjoy things again like it’s the first time ; )

9/18/83: I went with a great sounding aud, recorded by Jim Vita, delivered be Monsignor Miller on 2/24/23.
I’m going to have to keep an eye out for Mr Vita…
Not top shelf show, but another solid, enjoyable outing by the boys that provided a nice energy change up to complete the DHB!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Nice work OB!

I will check out 3/31/73 on Thursday.

Listened to the upgraded second half of 3/30/73. Above average sound quality.
These China Riders always deliver. I can't remember too many Truckin into Eyes, both good versions here. Eyes is still in progress. NFA, GDTRFB and close it out with OMSN. Enjoyable, thanks!

Interesting they are churning out more vinyl. Great for the vinyl buyers out there. I am not one of them. How about some more shows released on CD?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Although there has been more shows released on vinyl in the last 12 months or so, the downside is that they have all already been released on cd several years earlier. Some of them in limited edition formats, granted. It can be seen in two ways - great for vinyl lovers, but on the other hand, also an exercise in getting people to buy the same music twice.
Mind you, that happens with new digitally remastered cds all the time too. And with all bands, too, not just The Dead. If you are over a certain age, and like one band a lot, the chances are that you will have bought their signature albums many times over.

While I am on here, maybe I should say that my POTD has been Dave's 14 - 3/26/72 at The Academy Of Music N.Y. And great stuff it is too - a new band really coming into focus with lineup, songs, equipment, sound and style all fresh as a spring day.

I had Animals on CD, then bought it on vinyl.
I recently bought the 2022 issue of the 2018 remix on Blu-ray audio. The 2018 remix sounds great. Of the 6 different audio versions on the Blu-ray I like the uncompressed 24/196 stereo 2018 remix the best.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Alright Daverock, Dave's #14 it is. I will include the bonus disc for extra credit.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I failed the assignment but did the bonus disc.
No extra credit for you the teacher says.
Uh, the dog ate my homework. Yeah, that's it!
First impressions were that the band was (high)ly motivated as they often are by the NY crowds. Right off the bat Jerry having difficulties with the Bertha lyrics. Great mix with everyone being heard. I do love Phil but his singing was often off key. Based on frequent comments and opinions no one, including me before this, seems as bothered by this as they are by DG's occasional lapses in that department. But Donna never bothers me either really. She's a bonus no matter what. No biggie, just sayin'. And it has a Cumberland!
Second half from six days earlier is good solid '72. Love Bob's reversal of "one of your favorites and we certainly hope it's one of ours" intro to Truckin'. Short listen, short review. Had a busy Wednesday.
Trying to get to my second listen of London 5-26-72 today and this was a great warm up. Thanks Daverock.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

I don't think this release gets a lot of play at my house, but it should. That Good Lovin, Truckin -Drums-Other One-Me and My Uncle-Other One into Wharf Rat is a wild ride of Dead nirvana. Man, so good and nice Sugar Mag, The Stranger, NFA, GDTRFB, NFA. Good call Daverock.

And then there is the bonus disc, great stuff First Show.
Definitely an underrated release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I tend to play this - and the companion Dicks Picks 30 with the 25th and 28th featured - every year as a prelude to starting off on the European tour. But these shows are great in their own right. The first shows of 1972 after New Years Eve ( that I have) and so usually they are the first 1972 shows I play each year. And they sound so refreshing and energetic - whatever I have been playing before hand, this always sounds like what I have been waiting for.

The 2nd disc is the center piece, but the first set is top notch too. Extra variety for this line up with the additions of Pigpen, which introduces a level of blues and soul that they never recaptured. With Keith on board, anything seems possible. Amazing how "The Other One" was such a powerhouse in earlier years and got reinvented so successfully as at these shows. Jazz rock as literally no one else played it.
Each musician sounds at the top of their game too. You can listen to the whole and zero in and out on any musician and hear something of interest - but I tend to notice Bob Weir more on these dates than is usually the case.
All this...and Europe 72 to follow.

Cheers folks !

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

“and now for something completely different”
Think we’ve only hit one 88 here so far via vguy. (10/2/88)
Was going to go 7/29/88 off of Dave’s list, but think we’ll save that for later…

Sorry I skipped 3/26/72 as I don’t have that yet and like to save official shows for when I get them…
Makes me think I should try to get a DP 30 spin in as I just got that from Realgone fairly recently.
But first I figured something completely different for Fri yea!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Absolutely, count me in on 3/30/88.

I think we did hit a few other 88 shows in the past, 3/27 Hampton from the DL series, 4/1 from RT4. 2 and I believe the 30 Trips 88 show as well from 7/3.

I was going to offer a show from 87, but I will save that for next week.

Thanks!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

New in Jam-o-Week: 6-20-88 Alpine Valley.
Most days I only have time for a taste so Jam and Taper's fit the bill.
Already curated by Dave so you know it will have something tasty.
So often it gets me to try eras and tours I'm not as familiar with like last week's two from 6-11-92 (Jam) and 6-12-92 (Taper's) from Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY. Both very tasty which I rarely expect from the later era. It all just depends on whether they're ON that night no matter what era. Like this week's Taper's 6-17-88 selection from Bloomington, MN was NOT ON. Didn't help that I didn't care for the setlist. But I always learn something so thanks Dave L. and POTDWD crew.
Cheers and onward through the fog, literally this morning in W. Colo.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Interesting Dave had the Alpine 88 shows as well as the 88 Met Center show in the Tapers compendium. To be honest, I don't look at that to much.

I was at these shows as a wild eyed 17 year old. Great times. The Alpine shows were 4 shows in five days in the hot sun. We had a crazy drought that summer. Our crew rented RVs for those shows and we were able to camp at Alpine. Crazy times.
I am hoping someday we get the Alpine box set 87-89, would be a fun ride.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yep, I was there too DV. So I have a fair amount of memories about these shows. Some of its already out there. One of the most powerful Dead concert moments was the Morning Dew last night of the run (6/23). that, and the Believe it or Not earlier in the set. But some aspects of this run were a struggle. Damn was it hot. did Buckeye and Pittsburgh afterwards. my last Midwest shows until 7/8 and 7/9/95 at Soldier Field.

Without a doubt one weird thing going back to the tapes is that Healy seemingly recorded the entire run with strong panning across the sound stage. I have never heard anything like it on any other SBD. Question came up on the GD Hour many years ago regarding the panning on the SBD source for 6/23. At the time I had never gone back to listen to the other nights, but 6/23 tape I knew very well. I replied that I thought maybe the panning was a one-off and gave the context. But no, It's there 1st night 6/19. and it's on the Jam of the Week first set 6/20. "Sort of" cool in some ways and sort of a big WTF was going on with that guy. Just odd stuff. Truly.

I had 2 mail order pavilion seats each night. sold the other to a friend who in the end only made the last night. 6/20 was near soundboard to left. Great sound. "kids" next to me proceeded to stub in 20+ of their friends on what were like 4 seats worth of tickets - completely freaking rude, asinine, and ridiculous - literally forcing myself and others out of our legit seats as more and more of them got ticketed in. I was already overheated by Day 2 and not very tolerant of that thoughtlessness. sort of still pisses me off, though I write that with something of a dream time memory smile on a beautiful rainy morning here in the high desert some 30+ years later. at set break I was wandering the lawn and ran into some other folks i knew from OH (school/home at the time) and when Set II rolled in I was like F*** the pavilion I'm hanging up here, and we danced our asses off upper hill right end. It was great. Super fun. Remember an awesome Terrapin. I'm not sure if I have ever heard 6/20 since, maybe once. listened to JOTW 1st set last night and now again listening this morning. It's a great 1st set. I'm like, Box of Rain song 2??!! Band is on. Guessing Dave will feed us the whole show JOTW but probably will stream the whole show today.

Academy of Music 3/26/72 DaP 14 - great to hear that one again (has been very much neglected in this household.) Thanks Daverock!

Will have to check out 3/30/88. Was at Hampton right before this and that was some mind blowing music.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

and there were shows, and there were shows between.
Like this lil nugget (3/30/88)!
Really enjoyed this. Great opening trifecta, couple different era songs for variety, nice Cassidy. We get a Shakedown, fun inverted Uncle J/PITD/Uncle J, and a nice post drums sequence to ramp up the vibe!
Love to check out these shows that fall between/around official ones!

Enjoyed it so much I hit 4/3/88 for extra credit. Jers starting to get the dreaded spring north east tour bronchitis, but not the whole show? Next night I recall he sounds worse? Decent show, but I dug 3/30 more.

So then I through on Dicks 30 while doing some chores, but didn’t get to the second set, though I did catch the fun BD bonus stuff from 3/25. So not a DHB but a grateful day none the less!

Summer 88, sighhhh.
Was all stoked, armed and ready for the last six of tour, until I broke my ankle…
87 Alpine was such a hot shit show as it’s rep had blown up and like all good places it seemed to get too big? So we figured Maine would be the laid back alternative to freak freely and it surely was! When we got to Buckeye the general consensus was that besides the Blackbird bragging rights, folks were writing the whole scene off as miserably hot, too many people, and the band didn’t play that great overall?
I don’t know, I wasn’t their, that’s just the vibe we were getting.
I do know that Buckeye seemed like more of the same though I thought they played decent. Over tge years I’ve really come to enjoy this show, the first set with early Bruce encounters etc, and the three new songs to open the second was cool. But being at that venue in those conditions on crutches and still pretty sore even with enough analgesics for a platoon, it was a ruff day. Pittsburg was a god send comparatively, with no adventures through the countryside and seats to keep off the leg. Don’t recall much of that one cept maybe a good Cumberland and the first of only 2 Start your Engines, which we liked.
We’ll long/short I’d had an unfortunate incident involving ambulance and hospital before the tour started that time has led me to believe was related to excessive acetaminophen in the analgesics? So had to skip Toga, gulp, yep, that one still really hurts, but had to go back to hospital for upper GI and testing. One of the few shows I had a ticket fir but had to get rid of : (
Crotchfester was a good show, and nice flat soft baseball lawn which combined with a week or so of healing made things more fun and less hassle. Another very crowded show and a really muggy day.
So when we got to Maine the night before and it snowed it was quite the change lol.
Maine was a blast all the way around. Things came together and a good time was had by all, though the long slog home on the fourth after all those shows etc was ruff and rememberer it felt weird not seeing then on the fourth.

So since I’ve never heard any of the 88 Alpines (that I remember), figure I’ll fire up 6/23/88 in BC and DVs honor!
ONWARD,

PS: yeah BC those Hampton shows truly were mind blowing. 3/27/88 is definitely one of the best shows I was fortunate to be at, though 3/26 was the only show I went to that I didn’t get in…
Sometimes you eat the Baaarr, sometimes the baaarrr eats you ; )