• 7,845 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • nitecat

Harpur was a recording I listened to over and over in the summer of 1972. That's when I realized this was a really different band, and got on the bus, attending the San Jose 1972 show and two of the Berkeley Community Theater shows, one of was the Dark Star>Morning Dew show, which sealed my fate forever.

• PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

• Oroborous

What we like and why we like it.
    Used to love how five dudes who all just experienced the same show, sometimes together most of the night, could then have five different opinions in the car afterward lol
    Keep ‘em coming boys!
    I’m rollin on 77 currently.

• uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

• Oroborous

Just every now and then from time to time…
    Some shows are just so good it’s worth it, unless some Jack ass is screaming dumb shit right next to the mics all night lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hope everyone is having a enjoyable holidaze!

Not much Dead for me lately, but I usually take some time off this time of year.
Didn’t do the 78 as that’s one of the other three Dicks I don’t have yet so I’ve purposely never heard it as I’m saving my virgin listen for Realgone at least to reissue “official” version.
Down to 3: #13 I have copies, 10 I finally heard here on POTD recently, but the 78 I’m saving!

Hopefully I’ll start easing back in next couple days…

Watched Phil last night, sorta…dozed off and missed Cassidy and part of Eyes, and had net drops a lot, especially near the end so…hopefully tonight that will be better?
Maybe it was just me but I didn’t think they were on last night?
Not bad, certainly seeing Phil at this point is always cool and enjoyable, but I feel like it was not quite at the superb level of the Colorado shows I watched last year?
Phil still brings it, but I actually noticed some misses etc that you don’t usually hear with Phil.
Guessing their just a little rusty and he is getting up there so going off how my fingers are, imagine age might be finally factoring in? Hopefully tonight they’ll be more settled.
Again, we’ll worth the hassles to see the big guy again.
Remembering a sweet Mission encore and a Rock Steady, both firsts for me, so cool their still mixing things up!

Go VIKS, hopefully they can outlast/outrun the damn Cowgirls.
Philly who knows, they sure look good on paper…
Bills have a tough road ahead with Bungals and Patsies again, while the Chefs play no one, again…funny how the Chefs and Bucs get such easy schedules when they both were in the playoffs?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

From over on the 44 thread. 11-5-77 DiP 34
Where everyone else is doing anniversaries 12-28-79, 80, etc.
of some memorable runs.
His point well taken that this is damn good.
And hopefully a telling warm-up for DaP45.
It is just exactly damn good. The Big River smokes!
Cheers
Is it my imagination or does '77 seem to get better the closer it gets to '78?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

It often seems to me that 1977 shows from September onwards sound more like 1978 shows than they do 1977shows from earlier in the year. A bit more rocking - more rough and ready and less smooth. Jerry switched guitars in September 1977 to the Wolf, and that one seems to me to have a more overdriven sound than the guitar he used in 1976 and the first half of 1977. And this was the guitar he played on through 1978 too, I think.

Maybe it's a bit arbitrary, splitting the bands music up into years. I would have thought they carried on regardless of what month or year it was. Thinking of it personally, I can't imagine I will feel any different, or do anything differently next week, just because we will be in a different year to the one we are in this week.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

It's convenient to divide the GD by year for a couple of related reasons. They often took January and February off to write and record. While they were busy doing this, the alchemists and wizards were often testing out new equipment which was all rolled out and broken in on the Spring Tour each year.

So it's convenient to break things out by year, but that's not what drove change, it was the new toys and new music. Wolf. Late '77 was the return of the Wolf, and it sounded magnificent.

That's my take. We say years mainly because they retooled the first couple months most years, that is until the 80's and as they played larger arenas and demons settled in.. they practiced and recorded less and instrument changes were less frequent / less dramatic.

Man I really liked the Wolf.

Oh, and OB - Streaming last nights show as I write this, that is until I fall asleep (won't be long). Cumberland out of the gate was great.. I think the they could use a lead guitar with more thunder. They have two wide body clean guitars at work, they need to add a little Hendrix or wolf and turn it up. Twangy and clean tones, they need something that will part the red sea so they can get on with it. That's my take. Still enjoyable. Time will tell.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Hallandale, Florida December 29, 1968

Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable…….

High art? Low art? Grateful Dead art!!!

The Dead played numerous festivals in the late 60s, this being one of the earliest big East coast ones. Due to the constraints of time and circumstance, the Dead’s “festival sets” from this era sometimes have a shortened, condensed feel. The “all wheat, no chafe” approach, which usually worked well and was well received…………

Here, the band starts out greasy, then shifts into a big jam sequence that carries through to the end of the set. Things are truly focally shortened, but there’s some decent jamming to be had. Very good recordings of this set circulate, and while there are some edits and drop-outs, it is still worthy of your consideration…………..

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other……

Rock on!!!

Doc
Few people have the imagination for reality…….

Change of personnel was also a factor in the change of the bands sound. Mickey joining in late 67 meant that the sound of 1968 started a few months early. And so on and so forth as people emerged, disappeared..and in Mickey's case came back again. I can't honestly remember now what they sound like, but I would think Keith's last few shows in early 1979 were more like 1978 shows than what are normally thought of as 1979 shows when Brent came on board.

It is a convenient device, though, splitting lives up into years. But it can be a bit artificial. People get born and die at different junctures - we meet and part at random times.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

check messages

dennis

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Maybe just me but I dug the second night much more than the previous. Sweet Scarlet/King Solomon’s, one of my favorite tunes! All around good set list and they seemed more settled in. Dug Jason Crosby on keys as I’d never heard him before. Love Holly but it was a cool change up.

Sorry Dennis, another foot of snow and errands so just getting to the mine.

Yes.. absolutely. I guess this gets lumped into eras.

I have my favorites.. but the fact that for most of their 30 years they kept evolving, changing things up and experimenting is perhaps understated. They cannot be accused of being one hit wonders.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim - very true . The last two shows I played -12/12/69 and 10/17/72 both feature China Cat/Rider, Cumberland Blues, Casey Jones, Uncle Johns and Black Peter. Two of my favourite years, and interesting to hear how different they could sound playing the same songs.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Just got to this tonight but holy crap and very well stated..

the second night was the charm. That Dear Prudence was worth the price of admission alone, simply incredible. Wow. and the Morning Dew and UJB to cap things off. It had a couple bumps, but man that was a great show and parts of the second set were superb.

I think you can stream this through January 1st. Well worth it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Boston Tea Party, December 31, 1969

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was Boston in 1969. No, NOT the Ark, the Tea Party!!! Actually, the same space……..different time…….

The Tea Party actually existed before the Ark opened in January 1969. The April Ark Dead shows get all the love and respect---maybe deservedly so. But the Ark closed by the summer of 1969, and the Tea Party took over the site, which was across the street from Fenway Park. After going through several transitions, the site was demolished, making way for a House Of Blues.

The December 1969 Tea Party shows have a “Rodney Dangerfield feel”. They seem to get no respect and are rarely talked about. However, that being said, they are very very interesting shows, varied and well played, with plenty of oddball tunes and other tunes that were slowly working their way out of the repertoire.

The Dead often handed out “auditory treats” on New Year’s, and this is a good example, starting out high with an opening China/Rider and featuring Mason’s Children, Alligator, Caution, Big Boy Pete, a stand-alone Not Fade Away, Seasons, The Race Is On, Silver Threads, Slewfoot, and a closing Dancin’ In The Streets. Happy freaking New Year’s!!!!

Very good recordings of all three shows are out there and worthy of your consideration….

Hey, how about an Ark AND Tea Party box??!!

I always think of space-time as being the real substance of space, and the galaxies and the stars just like the foam on the ocean……

Rock on!

Doc
I am a being of Heaven and Earth, of thunder and lightning, of rain and wind, of the galaxies…..

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Happy New Year all. Looking forward to 2023. Heading out with the family tonight for a little fun.

Box set predictions?
I think Dave will be headed back to the 70s. Hope we go back to a run theme versus a venue theme.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good morning my friends!!

Happy New Year to all, make it a safe, happy, fruitful year. And don’t forget to love……..

I draw from the absurd three consequences: my revolt, my liberty, my passion…..

Well, been going at it for a year with POTD posts, doing my best to highlight lesser known Dead shows, 40+ posts with varying results and reception. As the man said, my job is to shed light, not to master. And as I myself sometime say, despite my best efforts I can’t give it away………..

I shall carry on, I shall continue with this absurd endeavor. Needless to say I have many ideas already brewing for the coming year. Can’t promise that I’ll always avoid the Classics, and yes I’ll probably relapse into occasional 1971 worship, but you my fans and occasional readers must take the bad with the good. I’ll try to go a little more primal this year, see you on the mountain, try not to slip and fall…………..

The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor…..

Rock on!!!!

Doc
Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object….

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: Winterland, January 2 1972

I’ve discussed and posted about this show several times in the past, and it’s worthy of a revisit.

Betwixt and between, caught between the splendor of December (1971) and the expansive creamy greatness of the AOM and E72 runs. On the calendar 1972, but to the ears more like 1971. There’s plenty to enjoy here, including good helpings of stoner Americana, Cowboy Bobby, and greasy Pigpen goodness, as well as the unique Good Lovin’/China Cat/Good Lovin’ sequence.

Leave Your Love At Home, supposedly played in the middle of the first set, isn’t on the circulating, very good quality recordings of this nice little show. Was it a “tuning ditty” or a fully formed song? Any earwitnesses out there?

It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all…..

Rock on!!!

Doc
We get into the habit of living before acquiring the habit of thinking. In that race which daily hastens us towards death, the body maintains its irreparable lead…….

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Happy new year all. Stay safe.
50 th anniversary : Wake OT Flood
Bear's Choice: May we expect a better tribute to Pigpen?
30th anniversary Dicks Picks 1-10000 copies of LP, please...
Dave picks 73 Madison?
big fun and pleasure to read all your comments.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Since I just mentioned this show, I should also point out the the folks of the GEMS network out of Arizona just put out a new remaster of the January 2, 1972 show. Many thanks! And check it out..............

When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in......

Rock on!

Doc
Gratitude is the sign of noble souls......

Pulled up this show yesterday Doc and the latest version I could find was from 2004. Recording was decent. What is the Gems network? Can you access their version through Relisten?

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

. . . but the new 1/2/72 from GEMS FD11 was telling us about is finally up on the archive:
archive dot org/details/gd1972-01-02.161838.sbd.anon.gems.flac16

And best wishes and positive vibes to Damar Hamlin. You're gonna be okay.

Hey Doc, enjoyed the upgrade of this show. New Year's Eve 71, part 2. Fun show. The Jack Straw really shines for me, Big Railroad Blues. Very interesting Good Lovin, China Cat, Good Lovin sandwich. Standard finish for the time.

Okay, what's next?

If nothing surfaces, I think I might cue up 7/31/74, Dave's #2.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Dave's 2 is perfect for this afternoon. One of the posters here was at this one... trying to think of who it was...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Check.
Recordings a bit dirty but a nice lil block of 68.
1/2/72 I’ve heard so didn’t go there as I don’t have much time, and still going light on Dead.

7/31/74 sounds good but I’ll want to hit that at home so perhaps Tomorrow night…

NY resolution…
Focused a bunch on 82, some 92, and some but less than I thought on 72 this year, within minor focus on 67, 77, and 87 though fell short on those.
This year my main focus will be 73, 83, and a little 93 as that’s mostly unfamiliar, though what y’all have turned us onto has been surprisingly nice. Minor focus will be 68, 78, and 88…
With my focus, Docs primal tutorials, and the rest of cool picks y’all provide it should be another Grateful year, musically at least ; )
Hope to start cranking the machine again soon, but just ain’t there yet…
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay, I don't think we have ever hit this show, I hope, 6/4/78 from UC Santa Barbara. At least it will be the first time for me. There is a really good Betty board of this show.

Time to jump back in OB. I look forward to your 2023 journey through the years. Yes, 93, I haven't listened to much from that year.

In April, we will be entering our fourth year on this thread. It has been a fun ride. I will start writing down my picks this year, as relying on my memory doesn't always work anymore.

Oh and here is a question on 7/31/74, Dave's #2, is it me or does Jerry's guitar sound different on this release? It doesn't appear to be that full Jerry guitar sound.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

We have not.
It’s on the list!
Hopefully I can hit that and 7/31/74 this WE.

EDIT: if you like at the pics of this show on the deadnet page for it you’ll see Bob playing a different guitar.
It’s a an Ibanez Musician series like the one I own, only his is light and has more knobs etc, while mine is darker sorta like Tiger. I had Alembic pickups/circuitry put in by Joe Zon back before he moved to LA and made it big.
So now I’m really interested in 6/4/78 to hear what it sounds like!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I have it on good authority that GOGD is nearing the completion of the new tunnel under the vault. Certainly, with his help, we will get some more 1968 releases.

Thanks for the guidance and picks folks. 2023 is beginning to take form, here's hoping it's not quite the shit show as the last few years have been, GD releases aside of course.

Happy New Year.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

So that’s where that rascally rascal GOGD has been hiding!
I knew he wouldn’t let us down!
ONWARD!

6/4/78: ✔️Decent show, by Jed and Jack firing on all cylinders, but the recording was surprising/disappointing.
Disappointing since it’s a Beatty, which is surprising since it’s a Beatty…(though it’s a cassette?)
Seemed a little hot in spots with noticeable distortion, hopefully just the cassette?
There are so many truly remarkable Beatty’s from spring 78 that you’d think there has to be a good R2R copy somewhere? Seems like they were having fun at this big outdoor show!

7/31/74:✔️Once again with enthusiasm: “Holy cow that third disc is great”
Yeah, how many times do we say that LOL. Not that the rest of the show isn’t nice, just that third disc with that powerful Truckin followed by all that jammy goodness! Proper!
Another one (thanks to you know who) that I finally got a couple years ago that I’ve heard, but not become one with.
I do wonder though, what led him to go with this one for number 2 pick? Again, good show but if you think about what all from 74 hadn’t been released at the point, why this one? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad for any and all, but sometimes wonder about some of these picks?

12/31/86: Gary, I didn’t hit this as I’ve already done so when our ole buddy Otis suggested it for pick of the day awhile back. My note suggests I liked it, but wasn’t necessarily top shelf? But I wasn’t there so I’m sure it’s different for you!
Good show no matter how you label it…

Ok, don’t think I’ll be able to catch anything today, maybe a quick one tomorrow?
Still reeling from all the crazy games!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I enjoyed this show, but yes, there is some distortion in spots. Overall better than others in my opinion.

You never know what you might get with some of these recordings.

Where is Otis? It has been a while.

Good to hear the good news for Hamlin and Buffalo OB.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Re: Weir's guitar... Did he use that instrument in July, too? The tone sounded similar to my ears.

My early DaP's all suffer from disc rot, including #2.

-edit- re: Weir's guitar: from photos on this site, it looks as though he may have been...at least to my Eyes ;-)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Wilfred,
You mentioned that a few years ago. I forgot if you said whether or not you had stored them in the car.
I checked mine back then and didn’t find any rot.

12-1-79 mtx
That new HT sounds good.
You can find it on etree just below the new GEMS 1-2-72.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

They were in a hot car alright. Not anymore. Interestingly, all my discs were in a hot car but only DaP year 1 have suffered the harmful effects. :-/ Luckily, I had digital copies of everything before ripping became impossible

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I noticed to my horror that the 3rd cd of Dicks Picks 16 -11/8/69 wouldn't play over Christmas. When I looked at the cd, I noticed that it appears discoloured in part - it looks a bit like it has a light coffee stain over parts of it. I guess that is disc rot. I keep all the Dicks Picks in a closed cabinet, so it's not sunlight - and the others, touch wood, seem alright.
The Dave's Picks all seem okay when I play them.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Golden Hall, San Diego January 10 1970

Here’s a nice little show one never hears about, a short sharp shot of Grateful Dead, a little something for everybody, with that fun, loose, early 1970 vibe. OK there’s no gargantuan jams, but if this was the only recording I had on my desert island it would help pass the time quite nicely until my rescue. Often overlooked, but worth a listen.

Recordings of this little gem have circulated since the dawn of time, maybe there’s a pristine, “new & improved” copy in those banana boxes……….

The biggest problem with every art is by the use of appearance to create a loftier reality….

Rock on!!

Doc
Death is a commingling of eternity with time; in the death of a good man, eternity is seen looking through time…..

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

It might be caused by different things, my Daves Picks 1 thru 4 are rotten and don't play anymore. I think it might be to much moisture in the house. Its funny, because I have CDs that are way older and have been played many more times and they are just fine, it just seems to be those Dave's Picks..

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

DAVEROCK, my Dave's Vol. 2 got disc rot, only on discs 2 & 3, but this was a couple of years ago. I asked to see if they would replace, even with burned copies, but I never heard back. Luckily, JIMINMD bailed me out on that one. I'm now concerned it will happen too all of my Dave's. Maybe the cheap products they use in Mexico, where the discs are produced?? This really sucks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Mr Ones - I wondered if it was the fact that Dave's Picks cds may be cheaply made that has caused some of them to curdle. I haven't heard people mention cds by other artists that have done this - but various people on here have mentioned it in connection with Dave's. Having said that...the one I noticed wouldn't play was a Dicks Picks. And not just any Dicks Picks - 11/8/69.
Billy - I hadn't thought of that, that it could be due to damp, or humidity...dryness whatever in my house. I have had 2 guitars in my house develop hairline cracks in the neck over the years. Both fenders - but according to the local guitar shop, this was just cosmetic, and nothing to worry about. I sold one, and the guy who bought it wasn't worried either. I'd be happier if it didn't happen, myself. I put that down to the atmosphere in the house. But back to cds...why only Dead cds? Back to the way they are made I guess.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

DR, try lavender oil or natural something similar with NO ! petroleum distillates on your necks.

WTJ: good question, I’m not sure?
GD gear just says he experimented with various pick up placements etc for at least the first few years with his Ibanez custom Bob Weir model(s) (The one seen in 75 pics and used primarily on BFA)
He started playing those right after the WL 74 shows and messed with them quite a bit until he seemed to have things dialed in which was around the time he started playing the “Cowboy Fancy” version he mostly played until late 82 (I think) when he switched to Modulus.
I’ve seen pics of both he and Jer playing musician series but not sure exactly when? Most likely 77 and/or 78?
Maybe when JG switched to Travis Bean as he was looking for a possible production guitar that was easier to fix on the road? I know that was the primary reason he tried the Beans as the custom Irwin had to be sent back to Doug eveytime it needed something.
I believe I read BITD that Jer just tried one out a time or two, whereas Bob was working quite a bit for a few years with Hasselberger of Ibanez on different tweaks and models etc. ya know, has to be just exactly perfect ; )
I’ll have to check out some more dated 78 pics and see, but my best guess would be 78…

EDIT: WTJ, looks like theoretically he played the blond musician series from 5/5/78 until 8/31/78.
There are several of the same pics throughout with different dates, so can’t be positive of all shows, or all sets etc, but there are pics from Red Rocks with it by but by 9/2/78 at Giants he’s back to the BW model…

I found one from May 78 with Jerry playing one, but then I couldn’t find it again???

I vote Rhino makes CD duplicates w/ no cover art, cd cases etc. for Dave's 1 - 4 for those that were affected and can at least loosely prove they have CDs that don't work. Or better yet.. send in your faulty discs plus return postage and get just the CD's back in the mail. It would cost them by my estimates about $50k to do this and would create a wealth of goodwill. Or how's this, replace just the CD's for $5 if you mail in your disc rot crapazoid originals.

I also vote Wilfred T gets the benevolent dead net poster of the year award. Never a negative, only positive vibes. I can't think of a more positive non grumpy way to let Rhino know their crappy first year CD's suck ass. In this world of trouble, we need more good and less not so good.

Democratic, right, who's with me? #storm the vault #free the reels #trade your defective discs for good ones.

Oro-thanks for that advice, I'll look into it. When I started reading your post, I thought you were going to suggest putting oil on my cds.

Jim I like the sound of that, replacing damaged cds at little cost. Good will goes such a long way. I have had a few people helping me out at home recently - one of whom couldn't do enough and charged as little as he could to still come away with profit. And another who completely ripped me off - took money and disappeared without doing anything. Both of them have left lingering after effects - one good, one bad.

Thanks, Billy. I'm not letting them off the hook, but it's time consuming and not what I'd like to be doing with my time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Nice clean little show!
Perfect for todays needs.
Onward!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Great recording too for the era too. A great Pigpen centric little show.

Just one question.. what happened to the second set?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Slim Pickings around here.

I guess I will pull up 9/20/82 from the new MSG Box. I love this box.

Be well out there.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

But I have a pick for tomorrow.. something off the beaten path (I think).

Sorry for being a slacker but I have honestly enjoyed the recent picks and pace.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Alright Jim, tomorrow sounds good. We will be looking forward to it.

Getting excited for #45. Let's hope we all get it around the release date.