• 7,816 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

• JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sorry I'm late... so something off the beaten path but it's not quite what I thought it would be.
05/28/76 Club Front.

They played the Attics of My Life on Satellite radio last week and it left me scratching my head as I thought they dropped it in '72 and didn't return until the Warlock shows in '89.

The weird thing is the Attics is not on the Archive, but it's you YouTube. It's a real, nice, boucy version with a Reggae beat holding it up. Check it out, the rehearsal is very interesting too.

So it's a light day, you could fit this in in the time it takes to clean up after dinner.

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, I was late out of the gate and just got home now. The Attics is worth it though.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay Jim. Club Front 76 it is. I will give it a go tomorrow.

Still crying in our beer out here.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Thanks Jim - listening now. I found 2 sources on relisten and the second one is significantly longer, with more takes, including Attics. The Attics has got a reggae groove to my ear. It's really nice.

Been checking in daily but listening has been sort of scatter shot, both in terms of POTD and in general. Did check out the 1/10/70 - that a solid shot of music from that time frame. Like Jim says - where is Set II (if there was one)? Among recent listens were Jai Alai '74 (good god!), Dillon Stadium '74 (DaP 2), Chicago Auditorium 10/71 (DaP 3) DeKalb 10/29/77 (DAP 33 - always a wowza!) and various Eberhard Weber albums (non-dead).

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Some interesting rehearsal sessions here Jim. They were ready to get back into it, you can feel it.

Sound quality of the recording was good.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hope it was ok and not a derailment.

I just really liked that Attics.

I would like to revisit the 76 box at some point. That and the Giants box to me are under-rated. The St. Louis box on the other hand is not under-rated, more like worthy. I'd love to see the rest of the BCT '72 shows get box treatment, the same goes for Texas '72. Or how about a T For Texas box? Or we could simply call it Timbuktu.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day Trifecta, Volume 2:

Three separate highways intersect at a place no reasonable person would ever want to go….

January 17, 1968 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco. Starting as the El Patio Ballroom, eventually to morph into the Fillmore West, a “social/musical laboratory experiment" ostensibly run as a collective by several San Fran bands. The six month run was opened by the Dead with a blast of wonderful primal psychedelia, including, apparently, the first live version of China Cat Sunflower. Very good recordings circulate, give it a listen!

January 17, 1969 Civic Auditorium, Santa Barbara, California. Short on paper, long on music. Big jams and a little bit of grease. Short nice Star, driven Eleven, raucous Other One. And while the Hartbeats might have done it a couple of times previously, this appears to be the first “full Grateful Dead” version of Cosmic Charlie. Typical early 1969 gooey goodness!!

January 17, 1970 OSU, Corvallis, Oregon. An overlooked and underappreciated show. The band starts out with a more song-oriented approach, showcasing some Workingman’s material, before closing out with the “typical big jam sequence” Star/Saint/Eleven/Light. This probably doesn’t require a lot of explanation………..

The recordings of each show have some sonic issues, cuts and edits seemingly common for many audio artifacts of this era. Perhaps the banana boxes contain “new & improved” copies????

Rock on!!!

Doc
Astronomers have a common ground for discussion with musicians in the harmony of the stars and musical concords in tetrads and triads of the fourth and the fifth…..

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Thank you Doc for these reviews and keeping us excited listening to new shows that we may never have heard otherwise. Always a pleasure!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by musicnow

Woke up about 1 am and decided to do some writing on a project. Saw Doc's post and spun 1/17/68. It was just exactly perfect. Awesome stuff. The tone on Bob's guitar very cool. Thanks Doc!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Timbuktu Box sounds like a winner to me.

Let's go!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

But it ain't new yawk either. continuing my interest in the late days of the Godchaux era how about 1/15/79, Springfield, MA? Listened to Set II yesterday and mother of goodness it was awesomely great. The Playing > Drumz > Jam sequence is crazy town. There is a good Miller SBD (not a given for that era) but reading some reviews the Steve Rolfe FOB audience (Miller transfer) is a legendary pull. I put it on for the beginning of Shakedown and in the pocket sweet spot FOB. Cued up Rolfe for Set I this morning.

spoiler - there is no Minglewood but there is a Jack-A-Roe

Enjoy the day folks.
Onward!!

edit - Personally I'd probably run with the Miller sbd overall. There's a matrix to maybe split the difference. This is a great show.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

1/15/79 Springfield sounds good to me Bluecrow. Thanks.

I can't believe #45 isn't sold out yet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

That’s off of Dave’s list…
I’ll try to find time this WE.
Still stuck in deadline hell with no tunes or time : (

45 not sold out: I can believe it lol

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Great show Bluecrow, I enjoyed it. Yes I listened to the matrix. Agree, the Playing was the highlight of the show for me as well BC. I like that reprise into Casey Jones. Great sequence. Close it out with a good JBG.

The Shakedown was good as well as the Stagger Lee Passenger.

Recording was good. Good to hear this show is on Dave's list OB. Oh and go Bills!

I think I will revisit 10/18/72 from the LTTR Box next.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I got the new Hunter’s Trix a few weeks ago and it sounded pretty good.
I think that there are a few fans of that show hanging out at POTD.

hunterstrix
dot
com

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Conekid. I checked this out.
What is this site?

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

This one hurts. That voice, those harmonies with Nash.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bolo24

Ca. 1997, back in the day when each edition of the GD Almanac was snail mailed to my rural PO, Grateful Dead Records released Another Stoney Evening, a beautifully played and recorded Crosby-Nash concert from 1971. Visiting that tonight.

Liner notes were by Steve Silberman, one of Croz' closest friends. I mentioned last year or so that Steve had a great podcast series talking with Croz called Freak Flag Flying. Check it out if you haven't already.

RIP David Crosby.

Funny to hear that 1-15-79 is on Dave's list cause that seems like a lost era in terms of board tapes. A ripping show. Get yourself the comfy chair Oro. Was listening to parts of it again this evening. As I was saying that Playing > Drumz > Jam is crazy town. 10-17-72 sounds real good DV, sometime in the next day or 3.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Google it.

Clearly a Pigpen fan.

Welcome back Bolo.

That is all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

(Again.) I was having trouble figuring out what to play to honor David Crosby and had more or less decided on the 4 Way Street LP but you reminded me of Another Stoney Evening - GDCD 4057 (1997 release) which fits the bill perfectly. More harmonies and 1971 goodness!
Cheers
"I'm not NOT licking the toad" - Homer (not the philosopher but philosophic in his own right)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Sucked to be Toadzilla. Even as an extraordinary specimen, being a non-native, invasive, destructive species earns you a one way ticket to toad afterlife in a museum collection. Tender-hearted-me sort of cringed knowing that was gonna happen, even before I read the whole thing, but you got to kill them just like the Burmese pythons run rampant in the Everglades.

Another Stoney Evening sure was a fine release 1stShow. It was Bolo and his comment about Croz' harmonies with Nash that immediately pointed me there. Me thinks you can still catch a buzz from Croz' "Lebanese Flu" just listening to it. Very intimate recording.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

That site lists all the matrix shows in the Hunter’s Trix series.
All are available for download as torrents.
In the menu, click on ‘etree uploads’. Get the torrent l-i-n-k from that site and put them in a torrent browser which will get the shows and save them on your hard drive as FLAC.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Thanks Conekid. Interesting site.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

. . . check out the first Crosby-Nash album to be released in 1972, the self-titled, "David Crosby & Graham Nash". (Jerry, Phil and Billy contribute.) Check out "Where Will I Be?" including tuned glasses.

For sheer otherworldly, hair-raising beauty, Crosby's first solo album, "If I Could Only Remember My Name", never fails to bring goose-bumps and usually a tear or two. The magic that swirled around Wally Heider's studio in 1970 & 71 with its host of SF musicians still shines brightly. The 50th Anniversary release of IICORMN includes a second CD of demos, alternates and early takes. Breathe deeply. . .

*** Blue Crow's right, Lebanese Flu is highly contagious. . . and that's a good thing.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Do the shops sell anything like that now?
Never seen any around here in CO.
Can't see why not. Same source material.
Maybe too labor intensive?
Have a good weekend!
Cheers

If you haven’t taken full advantage of what’s available, it’s highly recommended that you do.
Takes minimal effort to pack a hard drive with FLAC files.
If you have an old computer that isn’t used anymore set that up to run the torrent client (I use utorrent -dot- com).
Go to etree from the menu on the hunterstrix page, click on 12-1-79, then click on and save this to your computer:

gd79-12-01.mtx.seamons.ht156.161627. flac16. torrent
(spaces added)

Then take that torrent file and drag it into the utorrent (or another torrent client) window. Sit back and wait for the files to arrive.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Looking at 9/1/79 from Holleder in NY for today. Did you ever make it to this venue OB?
Recording starts out a little rough but evens out mid way through Half Step.

Finished 10/18/72 yesterday. I think my third listen. Great show. Appears to be a lot of distortion on this one. Might be on my end. Has anyone else noticed this?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Picks Of The Day: Eagles Auditorium, Seattle January 22 & 23 1968

Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness….

Caution? Did somebody say caution??!! Friends, throw your caution to the wind, and believe!! Believe that there is enough 1968 in the vault to release a 68 box. Yes some are mere fragments, but sometimes even fragments burn bright!!

January 22: Folks, it’s all there! Starts with a cool, greasy, jammy Alligator followed by a long, seamless jam sequence that takes us through to the end of the show. Other One, New Potato, Cross Eyed, Spanish jam, Dark Star (in its early, short version), an early China Cat, Eleven, Caution. Need I say more???

January 23: This appears to be a fragment, but includes a short, crunchy CE/TOO/CE flowing into the rare Clementine, New Potato, Born Cross Eyed, and another Spanish jam (sadly, cut).

Go primal!!!!

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric…..

Rock on!!

Doc
There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge…..

Y’all told us NOT to lick the Toad so of course I did and phew, seemed to have lost a couple daze…

Then it took me awhile to clean off the Gray Matter from where Daverocks head exploded after hearing about the big HW box ; )

Ok, 1/15/79: overall, at least at first, I felt slightly underwhelmed at times? Good show, but not top shelf? So of course Dave will pick it lol. It’s hard to describe, like their playing ok, but tired, burnt..? or maybe I’m just projecting knowing what the outcome is? Perhaps I’m being overly critical, or perhaps like HF and his first, I’m extremely biased and would like to see a four disc Beauty of 1/10 and 1/20/79 and imagine instead only 1/15 getting released from that stretch, though 2/17/79 is great too!
I imagine and would love a nice sandwich with NYE 78 and 2/27/79 surrounding a 1/10 and 1/20 middle, but at this point I’m starting to give up on getting anything I want…sighhhh.
BUT…BUT, that Playing suite surely was a treat, especially that drum jam weirdness, PROPER!
Admittedly I was doing chores during the first so I’m probably generalizing? But the first part of the second seemed to step it up, and then from Playing onward was a perfect lay back and groove stress melting slice of goodness that was sorely needed! Good call BC!
Hit 1/17/68 for extra credit. Another fine, fairly tight outing with a mostly good recording cept a few distorty parts, probably old tape as Jimmy mentions? Always like the early alternate lyrics of most songs including TOO here, (and Sailor/Saint from 9/1/79).
1/17/69 I have dug before, probably via doc lol. 1/17/70 is on the list…

Hollander Stadium, funny you mention DV.
I had my cherry popped earlier that year so was truly itching to go. I could have gone with my older DH friends but being “only” sixteen the rents weren’t about to let me go “all the way to Rochester!” with a bunch of hairy freaks, especially after a bogus drug bust landed some of them in the local paper lol.
My poor mother rip, was terrified of all the R&R shenanigans, especially after she heard somewhere that “someone could stick you with a needle and drugs against your will and you won’t even know it until it’s too late” lol poor mom!
Like, if someone’s got drugs they ain’t wasting it on my teenybopper ass lol.
So unfortunately I’d have to wait until 11/9/79 for number 2.
But I heard about it from my friends and they seemed kinda non plussed. The big news was how the promoter or the band? The Good Rats tossed rubber Rats out in the crowd who being unruly Deadheads from Deep Elem, promptly began pelting the band with the toy Rats lol. Literally booed them off the stage.
Considered by many to be the poorest choice of an opening act in Dead history!
I still chuckle thinking about poor Joan Jet opening for Bobby and the Midnights at a theatre in Crotchfester.
So I finally listened to this one in the recent past and enjoyed it, though I wouldn’t call it top shelf.
Hope you dug it DV as you continue your 79 odyssey!

Go Bills, though I if they continue with their recent fuckery their going down.
Last week was pathetic and I felt bad for vguy having to lose in such a way, but no offense the Bungals ain’t the Fish and if we play like the last couple weeks it’ll be over!
Kinda like the way the VIKS went down : ( oh well, it’s ment to be entertainment, and this year it surely was for both teams!
EDIT: oh we’ll touch of Gray…but it’s alright
Upshot, we can listen to Dead shows on Sunday now instead of waisting time on fut ball!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Sorry about the Bills OB, we were pulling for them at my house.

The good rats, that is a crazy story. Seemed like a lot going on that night and I love this show.

Here is a change of pace for you, 3/30/87 from the good old spectrum in Philly.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’ rockers, let’s rock!!

Pick Of The Day: Seattle Center Arena, January 24 1971

Care for a side order of Ian & Sylvia to go with your crunchy main course of hard rockin’ Grateful Dead??? All marrow, no gristle……….

In January 1971 the Dead made a short excursion through the Pacific Northwest, four shows were scheduled, one was cancelled, and one rarely hears about any of this. Sonically speaking, the Davis and Eugene shows are not well preserved. That leaves Seattle as the best currently circulating surviving document from this month.

And what a document it is!! It appears to be one long set. The Dead start off high with Truckin’, and they don’t throttle down. There’s a China/Rider for me, a Cumberland for JimInMD, and enough grease to keep HendrixFreak happy. Hope you’re doing well, my friend, but be careful---this might give you palpitations!!!

In a way, this might even be considered historic, the last glimpse of the band before the seismic changes that would begin the following month in Port Chester and play out through the remainder of the year. And if you believe, as I do, that first and foremost the Grateful Dead were a rock and roll band, then you will probably enjoy this!!

We are never further from what we wish than when we believe that we have what we wished for…..

Rock on!!!

Doc
Passions are vices or virtues to their highest powers…..

That is a fun, energetic, Spring '87 show DV. New to me. Very enjoyable listen. Rocking Shakedown to start - reminded me of a favorite from 7/6 that summer. I saw the first 2 shows at the UIC Pavilion Chicago end of that spring tour. Only non-east coast shows and sort of overlooked cause of that. A joyous time - to have Jerry still with us, healthy and happy and ripping it up! Good to have those fairly recent Charlie Miller ultramatrix transfers for this tour.

Looks like there is some NW '71 coming into view on the horizon.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Fine set of music. Nice sounding board. Pig clearly didn't have it all out of his system after Lovelight (neither did the band) and that launch into Good Loving is great. Awesome grunge version.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Glad you liked it Bluecrow. My first listen as well. Good show. Recording is good, not mind blowing. Shakedown openers always bring a smile, good Stagger Lee, Box of Rain, Iko Iko, SOC into He's Gone, very enjoyable.
You get a nice Truckin, Other One, Wharf Rat. Close it out with It's All over now. Baby blue. Worth a listen for sure.

Did you get a chance to listen to 10/18/72? Interested in your feedback on the sound.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hmmm, I was there.
I’ve heard this …within the last couple years?
But I should give it another go, cept I got, got, got no time!
If this is the show I’m thinking of, there’s an unbelievable story, but not now…
I gotta git down….

Maybe this WE, though I might need something stronger lol
Onward!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm currently tuned in, even though I am also currently working my way through DaP 36 in the car. '87 energy does it for me most times...

1/24/71 has long been on my high list. So, it was fun to tune into that PigPen-fest again.

Keep the hits coming and as always Stay Grateful :-)' :-)' :-)'

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

First, I did not make the Spectrum that year and I cannot for the life of me remember why. Pre GPS, much like Washington DC, I was not a fan of Philly driving.. but I should have been at this one. Perhaps I had a test or midterm or something. My memories have faded.

So 1987.. I'm sure I wrote of this before but Wilfred T's post reminded me. I do like DaP 36, an UltraMatrix to the exteme, it's basically a Matrix, and a decent one. I have a love hate relationship with 1987. I think I saw more shows in 87 than any other year. I was a Junior in college, gas was like a dollar five cents a gallon and I had recently bought a used corolla (which cost pennies to drive and almost never broke down).

So I caught a bunch of shows, but man.. the recordings, although they do capture the energy, really..unless you are in the mood for an audience tape, are.. well...

Trying not to be negative, but of all the UltraMatrix years, 87 for the most part (9/18/87 and a few others omitted) sound more like audience tapes than soundboards.

I apologize for this review, but for a high year for me the tapes seem to mismatch my experiences more than other year. I consider this (and some other ultramix years) a lost opportunity of sorts.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Anyone want to join me in hitting 3-21-94 Richfield? I don't know if we've visited it before, but I remember it having a good and interesting Stella Blue. Yes, I know it's 1994 so it's likely spotty in places, but it might be an interesting change of pace. It looks like there is a new Miller transfer on the archive, too.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Hey WTJ, if it is a Dead show, I am willing to give it a go. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

This is a good one, Moses comes riding up on a Quasar, to start the first set, then A Bertha, a real pretty Peggy--O, a nice West LA Fadeaway, and ends with a TN Jed. And that's just the first set. The second set is nothing but gooey goodness dished up by Jerry and Company. The He's Gone>Jam>Drums>Space TOYL> Stella Blue >TOYL. A great Liberty encore. A great pick, enjoy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Ok, they let me out for my daily hour of yard time, so…
Hitting 2/19/73. Only 2nd set available but short works for me currently.
Into Truckin, so far so good. Not the best recording but not too shabby either.
I believe both Dick and Doc highlighted this show.

Will probably look at 1/24/71 per recommendation, and since it’s one of only about a dozen I didn’t catch back in 21 when I did the Pepsi challenge!

Will hit 3/21/94 when time permits! How bout some 93 ideas, not necessarily for right now but for later when things hopefully gain some normalcy?

3/30/87 I’d like to check again, just not sure I’ll have time, especially for more groovy picks lol.

DV, who we rooting for tomorrow?
I’m going with 49ers with the GD connection, and how can you not root for the kid who gets picked last!
Unfortunately, I’m not sure anyone can stop the Eagles.

Rootin for the Bungals in the AFC. A) I think their a better team though the Chefs looked more consistent last week than the last time I saw them, B) the ankle: as one who’s broke and/our sprained badly both ankles several times, it will be interesting to see how/if that is a factor? Guess it depends on if he gets shot up so He’d be able to put weight on to throw, but you have to think it will at least have some effect on his running game?
And C) nothing personal to Chefs fans or even pretty boy Patty, but I don’t like the way the league “massages” things for him like they have for Tommy. Or maybe it’s just the verbal diarrhea ad nausea ala Collingsworth et el, but I’m getting sick of the never ending hyperbole…I mean there are 32 NFL teams a whole lotta great QBs, why do they have to over hype one or two to the point fans get put off?

Hopefully they’ll be good games!

Yep, this 2/19/73 is hitting the spot!
Ok, yard times up…

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That's a Blue Crow special! Loved it for years. It's been here on POTD. It's a Nudie Suit show, with excellent pro photos out there. I keep hoping the missing reels have secretly been returned and Dave's going to spring it on us like he did 2/2/70.

Most recently been listening to October'72 from the FoxBox after DV's suggestion.

I hear you Jim regarding '87 with Healy ultramatrix boards often being more than a bit heavy on the audience. I still enjoy them though, I have the energy from that spring/summer imprinted on my DNA so to speak. The ultramtrix for 4/9 UIC is an upgrade for what was circulating earlier. I think you were at RedRocks and couple of weeks ago I got an '87 Black Muddy River hankering and listened to a good part of 8/11 first night. I was 2nd row center for that one and (to my aging brain) the Miller straight SBD was pretty darn close to how I remember the sound that night. And Park City kicks it.

'94 you say WTJ? - Sure I can do that. I saw some good shows in Seattle & Eugene that year.

Got my shipping notice last night for Dave's 45. Donkey mail should have it here next week.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hope you’ve mended up well and are fully able to explore etc!
Sorry about not realizing we’ve hit 2/19/73 per your pick.
Duly noted now and fully dug by moi. Yep, wonder what that first set sounds like?
Looking forward to checking out more unheard 73 this year.

1/24/71: nice short sweet one! Fully dug.
Last third a virtual Pork Roast!!
Recording good cept for occasional distortion, levels or tape condition?

Hoping 3/21/94 next/soon…

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Pretty much mended from the surgery, Oro, thanks. Glad I got it taken care of and other than occasional soreness at the end of the day along the inguinal incision scar all good and fine to hike and scramble out and about.

It surprised me that you didn't have 2/19 on your radar given that you are the primary record keeper after GOGD went radio silent. It's a favorite sequence of mine. I'm a total sucker for those He'sGone/Trucking/Other One jams from those days. Eyes 3rd time played, way jammed out and into China Doll. Perfection. They broke out the Nudie suits for Set I. I think this has to be one of the last shows, if not the last one, where there is no complete set list known. New Riders opened I think. Love to hear it whole. Also, even what we got is missing a chunk at the end of Other One, could be 1/2 a minute, could be 10. Hometown show, though I was still a wee lad at the time and didn't even know who the dead were probably. It's possible that one of my fellow 7th/8th graders went. Many years later a hometown deadhead friend and were i were late night reminiscing about our school days and going over the class photo poster, and while basically everybody is in their sport coats and dresses, one was very much not and we're like "Holy crap, Dan's wearing a Dead shirt??!!" Either a Skull and Roses tee, or maybe a Europe Cone Kid or the Rainbow Foot. '73 or '74. Maybe he was at McGaw Hall later that year. We were totally flabbergasted. Radical move back then for picture day. He was clearly a true fan - heck he might have even gotten on the bus at this show - as a few years ago l learned that he owned Wolf and later donated the proceeds of its sale to the SPLC.

As a somewhat random 3 am aside along lines of gaps in tapes, the DiP18 Eyes from 2/3/78 (my first) is missing about 50 seconds of beautiful Jerry soloing. They did a pretty good job of hiding the splice. Over the years I've seen maybe one person comment on it - they detected the slight tone shift at the splice and were wondering what might be up. You can hear the whole solo on the audience tape (which is a pretty good tape for the era by the way.)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

He's Gone/Trucking/Other Ones (though not necessarily in that order) I been listening to the FoxBox '72 and that Disc 3, Night 3, 10/19 is freaking ridiculous. Phil's entry into the Other One??!! Madness I say! Madness!

Have a great weekend everybody.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

94 is definitely not a go to year for me
However, I enjoyed this show. Nice same thing, Queen Jane, West LA Fairway, New Speedway Boogie, and yes a great He's Gone! Nice Stelle Blue. Fun times. Recording is good. Thanks WTJ for the pick.
What did you all think?

OB, shit I don't like either team left in the NFC, particularly the Eagles. So, let's go Niners!
Routing for the Chiefs, not a Bangles fan. Should be a couple good games.

Great story about your youth BC, love the Skull and Roses tee. February 73 is hot, but shoot, is there a bad month in 73?

When I was coming up in the ranks of the Dead world in 85, most of the guys at my school were big metal heads, being a Dead fan was definitely not cool. By the time I graduated in 89, those same metal guys turned into dead heads.

I will have to get to 10/19/72 tomorrow. I got through the first set of 10/17/72. Smoking hot!

#45 shipping notice received a couple days ago. Still sitting in the shipping label created stage since 1/25.

Be well out there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I can't believe I just read a positive review by one Brian Dyke!! 3/21/94 in the Taping Compendium.

Well I'll be....LOL :-)

Onwards and Upwards...

P.S. Just happened to check out the "Fox Box" (edit- well almost) recently and was sampling the 72, too!! :-)

How bout a double shot?
These are both on Dicks list of recommended 73s and I don’t think we’ve heard them here, at least I’ve never heard em.

BC, I’m sure I’ve missed some picks, GOGD I am not lol. (Even though he’s a stinking quitter; )
Perhaps part of the problem is when several of us toss several things out at once, or like your recent mention of some 72 stuff: we’re those picks, or just stuff for discussion/suggestion?
In those cases, say where four shows are brought up, I’ll mark the one or 2 things that others seemed to actually listened to and or commented on.
Like how I’ll mention something related to a days pick as a suggestion for furthur listening, but I wouldn’t call a “pick”

I’ve been trying to go through at least once a week and note the shows picked and who picked em in my Deadbase, but I don’t keep track of when etc. I’m sure there were times between GOGD and when I became more diligent about keeping track that I’ve missed, SLACKER! LOL

3/21/94: I need to discuss these shows sooner after I listen as I’ve already forgotten some of the nuances I wanted to discuss, yeeesshhk.
I thought this one had good energy for 94 or in general, though Eternity was a bit of a buzz kill. Didn’t used to mind that one so much but it’s shelf life might be coming up? Really dug the second set! I’ve always liked the rocking vibe of Picasso and how JG can rip it up sometimes even if I have no idea what it’s about lol. Cool Speedway, and I usually like a good Victim, though I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Sweet He’s Gone, great harmonies, lil jam into another trippy 90s rave space, followed by a a nice LL/Stella/LL samitch and a Liberty encore for some variety.

3/30/87: I’ve found these spring 87 shows more enjoyable then I recall?
I like the matrixes and this one didn’t seem too bad though I agree that some of them are not balanced so well. I think part of my weirdness with this tour stems from being there, and being disappointed because if certain expectations we had more than the music itself?
The way things were progressing vis a vis breaking out oldies and the old psychedelic energy, 87 was like a step backward (to us perhaps versus reality?) the jams were fewer/tamer, the vibe was much more dialed in, settled, and lacking that element of danger we were getting used to before the first health hiatus.
We had gotten the whole tour ticket package (perhaps for a discount?) though not intending to do the whole thing. Probably figured extra tix on tour are gold Jerry, gold i tell ya!
Whatevs, we did hit the first 8 but by Worcester I think a combination of burnout, tour colds, rapidly diminishing funds, and most of all, feeling underwhelmed? It’s all such a blur, don’t recall much of that spring or more so 86?
So we sold the Wooster tix, hindsight being 20/20 wish we’d gone… (think we got rid of Chi town and Jersey already?)

Anywho, my point being at the time we had a blast, dug the shows as always, but we’re a little disappointed.
So unfortunately, like many things, once I’d made a judgment that was that and I’d sorta wrote em off.
But through going furthur these most recent years I’ve grown to like them, even if not perhaps top shelf?
So This go round of 3/30/87 was quite enjoyable for a lazy day in the comfy chair.
Shakedown not the goat but no slouch and a good opener! Nice well played energetic songs with a good set list.
Second set builds up nicely, including another good He’s Gone. I believe it was this one that has Phil hitting these big single notes on the backside outro section. I remember it really stuck out and I was smiling etc.
Perhaps like much of 87 no really stand out stuff, just good clean safe tight GD! I’ve come to think of 87 as 77s younger cousin in that sense of the band really listening and playing consistent good clean music together as a unit, even if lacking the big jams and fireworks?
Anyway, glad I got it in abd hey, it’s got a Baby Blue ; )

Wish I would of continued with more music yesterday instead of more poorly played football.
Onward!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay, those sound good to me OB. I will get those started. Champaign Illinois let's go.