• 7,845 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • nitecat

Harpur was a recording I listened to over and over in the summer of 1972. That's when I realized this was a really different band, and got on the bus, attending the San Jose 1972 show and two of the Berkeley Community Theater shows, one of was the Dark Star>Morning Dew show, which sealed my fate forever.

• PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

• Oroborous

What we like and why we like it.
    Used to love how five dudes who all just experienced the same show, sometimes together most of the night, could then have five different opinions in the car afterward lol
    Keep ‘em coming boys!
    I’m rollin on 77 currently.

• uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

• Oroborous

Just every now and then from time to time…
    Some shows are just so good it’s worth it, unless some Jack ass is screaming dumb shit right next to the mics all night lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

damn this shakedown sounds so good.

just got out of hernia surgery so maybe its the meds ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Shoot Bluecrow, hope you made it through okay.

Another fine 79 OB. Man, the sound quality on this one is really good. Cleveland, any given night. Good first set.
Second set really shines, with that great Shakedown to start, Samson, High Time, Estimated Eyes into a funky jam. I think I heard a Shaw of Iran line in US Blues to end the show?
Great pick OB.
Definitely worth checking this one out.

Be well all.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I'm all good DV. Had a great team and it all went smooth, just got to take it easy for a little bit. Woke up this morning a bit freaked out, and had been a little freaked for a bit, but now that's it's in the rear-view mirror glad I went through with it. Had a good friend who could drive me, it's out patient but the hospital won't discharge you on you're own, and then after some 11/29 listening had a great dinner with him and his wife and that really put a good finish to it all. Got a long drive home tomorrow but don't think that will be an issue. Stop and stretch and walk from time to time with some ibuprofen and tylenol rather than the strong stuff.

So yeah I was maybe 1-1/2 hrs out from discharge and decided to try that Shakedown and it sounded my-t-fine. Having listened to Set II I'll say it's a hot one and the board sounds great and the pain med was maybe a small splash of special sauce in listening to it. That High Time was a real treat dropped in the middle of that pre-drumz and some cool strangeness jammed out towards the end of Eyes. sweet drumz directly into a geat Black Peter. Jerry and the band very much on whole set. Still haven't listened to Set I, but I'll say that Set II was exactly what the doctor ordered, swear to god!! Paging Dr. Shot, Dr. Oro. Dr. Oro and Dr. Shot. Right there on the script: "Relax and listen to some hot Fall '79!"

I knew some guys who grew up in Cleveland area - long out of touch unfortunately - not sure if they saw this one, but there's a couple other real good theater shows from Cleveland, I think in '80 and '81, that they talked about for sure. Of course there's that one-off Jack-a-Roe show in '78. Yet another midwest rust belt town where the Dead brought the goods time and again. Pretty wild to think that the Dead were playing the very next night at the Stanley, with 12/1 the night after that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Snow Shows...Anyone got one that immediately springs to mind? Richfield '93? Not terribly great reviews from what I recall...

I'll go with Cleveland '79 in the meantime.

Stay Grateful All! :-)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Never had a true snow show with the GD, though first show 2/3/78 was a solid winter icy road show driving over from MN. However had a real fun one 12/29/2000 with the Dark Star Orchestra at the Vic Theatre in Chicago. Brother and friends lived close so we walked. Snowing hard when we got there. Fun show - they played 12/29/1977 with that first return of China>Rider. Walked out afterwards to find the entire city pretty much shut down to traffic. There was cop standing stoically and silent outside the theatre who literally had 4+ inches of fluffy snow on top of his brimmed cap it was coming down so hard. An amazing sight. It was a hoot and just plain beautiful walking up the middle of the street, no traffic, stopping at a couple of bars on the way home. City was digging out for a few days. Guessing Oro or DV might have one or 2 up their sleeves.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

No heavy lifting like 45 minute PITBs or huge Dark Stars.
Been there, done that one twice. The second was a double inguinal.
All tight and tidy for years now. I still limit lifting to 50 lbs. but 35 is probably better. The meds are fun but only for a couple of days.
Take care, and cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Perhaps not a snow show, but…how’s bout some crackling 85 to go with the finally Friday energy?
9/7/85 anyone?

No snow shows BC, but some dozey rain shows: Toga 84 & 85, Pittsburg 95 etc.
never saw em past early November and never until March in the spring.
There was that Richfield cancelation that my cousin went to, but I was going back to school then so was not in show mode.
Cleveland rocks! Not sure what it is but…
More later, I gotta git down, to the miiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnneee

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

That is funny Bluecrow, I was thinking of this show as well. Dick's #10. The return of China Rider!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Funny you should mention that IstShow, because one of the discs I brought to spin for the drive is that Cleveland 12/6/73 bonus disc with that 46(?) minute Dark Star. We'll see what happens ;)

Hope Friday in the mine goes smoothly Oro. I think not 1 but 2 of the 80/81 shows in Cleveland had a Casey Jones which I think was pretty rare in the rotation back in those days. Some lake effect snow maybe?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Maybe it was the propofol lol.
I think I broke out that 12/6/73 DS immediately after my last colonoscopy to fully enjoy the lingering effects of the propofol!
I was gonna tease ya with no lifting any box sets lol.
But seriously, hope you mend well and get back to the back country adventures soon!

Curious if you got the mesh that their using even though it’s supposed to be bad?
(1st show too?)
I’ve had a herniated navel for years. Didn’t bother me but it’s getting worse last couple years, probably from work, now size of a goofball. Not into unnecessary surgery, but worried it’s gonna need repair sooner than later…
But currently no doctor, worried about the mesh, and of course we’re on the CDCs most wanted list with the vid again!

This getting old shit sucks!
But hey, at least you have some quality GOGD time while you mend!!

Cleveland’s been on my mind lately. I’ll have to do some intel into some hot Cleveland area shows for possible POTDs as we approach the long dark winter, buurrrrrrr

But today?
I’m confused, are we doing 12/29/77 (one of only three Dicks I’m still waiting on realgone) or should I fire up 9/7/85?
Hell if I quite dinking around, maybe I do both lol
Anywho, get well BC, stay warm DV, and happy Frie day laddies!

Oh, yo Jimbo, where you hiding?
Hopefully just digging the river/outdoors etc…

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Definitely a better line!
My first inguinal in 1993 they put in the mesh.
Caused by previous heavy lifting and aggrevated by a ski fall doing the splits in deep moguls at Snow Bowl, Flagstaff AZ. Second set of inguinals in 2009 they took out the mesh and just sewed me tight. Had one on each side and was sagging a bit (that was a freak-out) which I never had on the first one. They say us guys are born with them sometimes and a time bomb of sorts. That second one (pre-sag) was misdiagnosed totally and finally figured out by my cancer Dr. who was looking for swollen lymph glands. Must have had it for at least 3 years and skied my ass off during that time. Would have pain and had to lay down to get it back in place so that was the clue.
Sorry way TMI, but get it done while you have the insurance Oro. Mom used to say, "After 40 it's patch, patch, patch!".
Cheers
Going with the easy one, DP 10 12-29-77 + 12-30 jam.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Was in a big funk over the weekend and into the beginning of the week. Looking back I should have just rolled with it and picked something heavy to listen to and help purge it out of my system. All good now, without valleys there would be no peaks.

BlueCrow, ouch.. wishing you a complete, speedy and as pain free a recovery as possible. I love Propofol, had surgery when I was young and whatever they used gave a chaotic and freezing cold recovery, with the new stuff you wake up in a dream state like waking from a good nap. Funny.. you're the fourth or fifth person I know that got a hernia from lifting 30 trips / E72. If we get a few more, I think we have a chance at a class action against those bastages at Rhino. First the rock our wallets, then they break our backs and we end up under the knife.

I left off just as the 71 shows from the Listen to the River Box came up. A shame as I love those shows and they need a revisit.

They played a bit from 9/25/91 Boston (dickus pickus 17) last night on the radio. That's one great later era Eyes. Floaty and dreamy. Latvala did so much, he really got the ball rolling. I remember exactly where I was when I heard about Dick's Picks volume one.

Anyway.. thanks for the shoutout. November into early December is perhaps the weirdest time where I live, Fall has come and gone but Winter is not quite ready. It's not until the snow really starts coming that you can do much outside, ice storm yesterday - unless you had ice skates best not leave the house. I like to vacation this time of the year...but....

So 77 and 85? That should keep us busy.

BlueCrow, rest up. First show.. I'm making progress. Good and happy vibes to all.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

That China Rider out of Playing is something, not earth shattering, but good. Welcome back!

Been spending a lot of time the last couple of days removing snow from my roof.... Not much fun, but necessary.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

"Welcome to Thursday night at Winterland", with the Just Exactly Perfect Brothers Band. Wowzer! Haven't done this one in a long time and forgot it was my favorite Dick's Pick, at least until DP 18 came out. It used to get a lot of play time and I see why. How often do you get a second set jam with three portions of Playin'? Dang that's good stuff!
Encores and partial 12-30-77 still to go.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

"The Comeback"
Wow.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

It was a crazy ride 1stShow. Fun to watch a comeback like that.

I was in downtown Minneapolis last night at a party and the town was hopping.

And the Bills pulled another one out! Looking good OB.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Wow, what a couple daze!
I never watch sports all day but damn if that’s not bout the only thing I did yesterday lol
VIKS with the biggest comeback in NFL history previously held by da Bills!
I remember where and who I was with that day, but I’ll spare ya the tale lol

12/29/77: had never heard this one, mostly because saving it for if/when Realgone brings it back. One of only 3 I don’t have. But I threw it on at work Friday and enjoyed it though it seemed perhaps underwhelming for a 77?
Probably just my listen…
Good first set, Hot Sugaree stood out, always dig a Sunrise and the second set sequence with the serpentine Playin interweaved with the fine but perhaps not mighty return of China/Rider. Ooo, and China Doll in there too!
Glad I finally heard it and not getting “full” listen if/when Realgone spits it out I can still get a good “first” listen in.

9/7/85: after several false starts at work I gave up and finally sat down with it late Friday.
I have a tape of this I got under weird circumstances. After 86? Rich stadium show (long/short) I ended up giving this gal a lift to the rainbow gathering down in Allegheny State park in Pensitucky. Thought she was only going to much closer NYS park, but by the ticket, take the ride, and I couldn’t just leave her off in the middle of no where in the middle of the night. So for her profound gratitude at my “miracle”…she gave me a second set tape of this show.
Best part was when I returned home at dawn with an empty tank and pops waiting to use that car to go to work lol.
Like I say, long story lol
But I hadn’t heard this show in many years so glad I got to it.
After all the pre game shenanigans (must of been wild waiting/tripping and then that!)
Fairly rocking first set including a OMSN closer which I always loved in in that spot, or for an opener!
Nice Shakedown>Crazy Fingers>Samson. Followed by a nice sequence including the fun first Hey Jude finale, though some of the transitions are a little ruff, but capped off by a sweet Comes a Time. Bob brings her home with an 85 Lovelight and we get an always welcome JBG/Baby Blue dbl encore!
Unfortunately I guess your not allowed to mention 85 without some mention of “Jerry’s voice” so I’d say he sounds pretty dern good for the most part, definitely comparatively to 85 and perhaps overall?
Though I was fortunate to experience many post GD Rocks shows, alas I never made it for the real deal. And as usual, you can almost feel the rocks vibe here. Definitely worth a check out. Oh, I went with a nice Chapel matrix!

I guess that all depends on where we are now and where we were before?

mmm 12/29/77. Where to begin? I believe we are close to the return of the Wolf, correct? Oh.. and that Playin'>China>Rider>China Doll>Playin. Holy cow. Taking a step back, a historic and great show, if for no other reason look to the ferocity of Jerry's Guitar. Second.. and I hate to disagree ever so slightly with our dear friend and Vikings fan, I hold that China Rider with high regard. The transition is smooth as silk, subtle but ever so classic.

I know not the politics of the GD, but I believe this is the show where Jerry began playing the transitional parts Bobby used to, that early tension release passage from familiar to God knows where. I hold this particular passage in quite high regard, again no harm in intended. Perhaps my passion is partly because thank goodness it's back.. but wait for it.. it was forever and and a day before it would return for good.. in the classic GD fashion. Sort of like Dark Star, but not quite.

Anyway, no slight intended, I believe we can all agree this was an historic show. Not quite exactly the Return of the Wolf, but that is how I remember this show. Welcomed ferocity. One of my favorite 1977 shows.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

12/29/77 - really strong, tight, driving show start to end. Like 1st show, this had sort of fallen by the wayside for no apparent reason. With Jim on this re China>Rider. Seems very well played to me. While it is the first version post 1974, in some sense it's not really a full "return" because they don't play it again for over a year until 2/3/79 Indianapolis when they brought it back for a few shows at the very tail end of the Godchaux era and it was in the rotation again from there on out. 12/29/77 China>Rider is a stand alone - there would seem to be a story somewhere as to why it was played this night. And yes, Jerry had returned to the Wolf in Fall '77, so no Travis Bean China>Riders.

BTW - that 2/3/79 Indy show has a smoking Scarlet>Fire to open Set II (only source circulating is audience.) Despite the CW, there is a whole lot that I like from those last months, late '78 into '79, of Keith and Donna with the band.

And a big thank you to everyone for the healing vibes. So far so good I think. Baby steps.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Fine early morning, rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: Fillmore Auditorium, December 19 1969

I think the universe is pure geometry - basically, a beautiful shape twisting around and dancing over space-time. Sorta like the Grateful Dead……

Because Phil is stuck somewhere, Garcia and Bobby Ace regale ya with some old favorites, as once the tall skinny fella arrives they’ll play loud and all that. Who could complain about Monkey And The Engineer-Little Sadie-Long Black Limousine-I've Been All Around This World---before we get to the twisted electric journey through musical space-time?!!

And such a journey!! Something for all tastes---rockin’, rare Mason’s, soulful Black Peter, greasy Hard To Handle, Bobby Ace trying to tell a joke, a Cumberland even JimInMD could maybe love, another shot of greasy gooey jammy goodness with Good Lovin’, all wonderfully topped off with a closing sweet suite of That’s It For The Other One/Uncle John’s Band-Turn On Your Lovelight.

The esteemed Mr Miller’s remaster, recently unleased on us, is very, very nice. And while there are a couple of short audience patches, in this case---as in many others---it’s OK if it’s not exactly perfect………….

Rock on!!!

Doc
We need to broaden our sympathies both in space and time - and perceive ourselves as part of a long heritage, and stewards for an immense future……

thanks Doc for shining a light on another fine sixty-nine show!! anything acoustic, especially those early days is to be treasured. magic afoot.

also, a belated thank you for that fun oddity contest with 12/2/71. A new-to-me awesome show and always fun to try solve a puzzle. I will admit that the Brokedown/Black Peter oddity was something that I probably wouldn't have gotten in 100 years, but how did I miss that Smokestack/Lovelight??

...and who doesn't love a good Cumberland? Truth be told, I lived in the city of Cumberland for a few months at some point in the 80's. It was cheap and I was poor boy struggling to finish my undergrad. It cost me $250 to split a house for the semester. Make good money five dollars a day.....

I learned how to rock climb in a little crag off Wills Creek at a spot called Lovers Leap. Another fine Cumberland memory. It's worth a google search, a little Appalachian folklore, and a real pretty spot worth pulling off the freeway as you drive by. The original story of Lovers Leap appeared in the Cumberland Evening Times May 18th, 1881. An Appalachian coal town if ever there was one.

As for 12/19, I could be wrong, but I believe this is the first of the acoustic sets that would become standard the following year. I'm digging into it as I write this. Y'all be good.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Looking at 2/21/82 Pauly Pavilion for today. I don't think we have hit this one yet.

Jim, I don't think OB is a Vikings fan, at least not yet.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Glad im nit a colts fan

33 point lead blown

Imagine the locker room after...the flight home...

At least it wasnt a super bowl, colters

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

…I’m not a fan!
I bet I been somewhat of a VIKS fan since before you were born lol.
Back in the sixties I was a huge Alan Page fan #88.
Like Ralphy with his Red Ryder I wanted nothing more than the Super Bowl addition Chefs Vikings electric football set.
And though the VIKS lost the SB, they always won on my game!
Good I loved that toy, wonder what happened too it, must of been traumatic lol.

Glad to hear BCs mending and Jim’s feeling more like his ole self. Sure some winter activities will help that when applicable. Hopefully DV got the snow rake and has that roof all cleared off.

Cumberland: one time headquarters of G Washington himself.
That first step at lovers leap looks like a real doozie!

12/19/69: think I might sneak that one in today, perhaps start 2/21/82 or hit mañana if the situation allows.

Ok, back into the mine, just needed to poke my head out for a sec…
ONWARD

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I need to hit refresh before I post..

I had not read OB's post when I referenced Vikings Fan. I didn't mean to be contrary regarding that show, but re-reading both, I don't think we were that far off. Perhaps I have a bit of nostalgia for this as it was one of the early Dicks Picks (#10 I think), and I got this before I accidentally overdosed on '77. Must have had too much too fast.

Anyway, I think all is pretty much ok with the world. I have to admit I am not the most careful poster, sometimes we just post what we are feeling at the moment. I still have a bit of ketchup to do but I am making progress.

Note to self, top off the tank in dad's car when you borrow it to see shows and drive young attractive hipsters all over gods creation in search of good times and good tunes. Sorry Dad!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Love it OB, that was before my time. I retract my previous statement, my bad.

Speaking of China Riders, there is something about them in 82, particularly the first part of the year.

Can't blame you for overdosing on 77 Jim.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

>>>>>> 8/7/82 (DiP 32)

Favorite post-'74 version hands down, an absolute beauty. Jerry's transition jam takes on this amazing "finger picking" energy. And then, just as you think Rider has arrived, and the sonic space quiets down and opens up for that first verse, Jerry brings back that ca. '73-'74 theme, a crystalline jewel, and then they drop into Rider. Only post '74 version of that I know of. One of my favorite passages of Grateful Dead music ever. Part of the reason I labeled my Set II cassette "Sacred Alpine Valley" long before the official release. Gifted that tape far and wide. It was my 6th show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Of what you liked about the DiP 32 China>Rider.
Got me to pop it in and go.
Damned if it isn't another overlooked DiP for me.
Sitting next to 33? I don't know why.
You guys are expanding my collection of what I already have.
Cheers and onward past the Solstice and slowly back to the light.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Yes, I have been listening to #32 quite a bit this year. It is hot! Love this one Bluecrow.

Okay, so at this point in time (always subject to change), my favorite China Rider from 82 is from Glen Falls, 4/14. OB turned me on this show. Check it out 1st Show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Reminded me of a prized collection of little plastic football helmets that I had to work hard for. Maybe 1966 as the set had 16 helmets. You had to collect the plastic liner under bottle caps, maybe Coke or Pepsi, and get your whole team (must be 1966 as Charley Johnson was my STL QB, a hard to get bottle cap liner) on a sheet and send it in for the helmets. Maybe a local bottler was doing the promo. I devised a magnet on the end of a coat hanger to fish the bottle caps out of the soda machine in front of the local barbershop to fill that card. Got chased off by someone in the barbershop (What the hell you doin' boy!) at least once as I remember doing it surreptitiously and it took a few trips. A prized possession into my teens and not those crappy ones with a decal, these were stamped on team logos.
We did play the tin hockey game, not electric but the shafts and spinning players kind, at a friend's house. Loved that!
Cheers

Edit: Got to DVs 4-14-82 China>Rider this AM. A lilting bouncy one with a casual transition, then driving to the end. What impressed me was the ensemble performance where everyone seemed on the same page without Bobby going off on his own and Brent contributing rather than soloing. Only negative was Phil was absent in the mix I picked (Braverman?). Will get to the rest of the show today.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Shrine Auditorium, December 21, 1968

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion……..

This is dedicated to Kevin Kelly, he’ll understand why………..

No illusion, this. But fair warning!! This is a major Pigfest, not-so-briefly interrupted by a typically crunchy, late 1968 CE/TOO/CE. The festivities open with Lovelight (lol clocking in at a “relatively” short 15 minutes), with an unusual coming-out-of Cryptical reprise It Hurts Me Too, a very interesting Alligator/drums/”way big jam”/short Alligator reprise, leading into a crazy good Caution!!! Wowzers!!! Don’t forget to send us home gently with And We Bid You Goodnight……….

Miller’s remaster is very good, though not without flaws, but worth a serious listen, as it is a great auditory document of the band at this time……..

We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality…….

Rock on!!!

Doc
Great feelings will often take the aspect of error, and great faith the aspect of illusion…..

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Istshow - "expanding my collection of what I already have". That rings true ! DiP 32 is sitting upstairs with my other Dave's. Probably played once, when it arrived a few years ago. I haven't a clue what it's like.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Winter begins at 1:48 pm today in the Bay Area. Winter may have the greatest Grateful Dead Shows of all time,2/14/68, 2/13&14/70, 2/27/69, 2/28/69, 3/1/69, 3/2/69, 12/26. & 28/79, just to name a few.

Hey, how about 2/3/78 just because it opens with a rockin' Cold Rain and Snow. If that's not your bag you can substitute 12/31/82, Jerry was married to Mountain Girl backstage and they opened with Cold Rain and Snow. The irony of the opening line was not lost on me.

If memory serves this might have been a bolo pick early on on this thread, Dicks Picks 18.. but who cares.

This one goes out to DVikes and DH Brewer. Rumor has it DV ventured out this morning to get the morning paper and froze solid when his hand stuck to the storm door trying to reenter. Holy crap it's cold in the Twin Cities. Denver had a 58 degree drop in temp from yesterday to today.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Marye suggested we start the thread with the nomination of DiP 18.
See her recommendation at the top of the page. High praise!
I'm all in, it's a '78.
Keep the pipes dripping so they don't freeze.
That would be a nightmare at X-mas time.
We got lucky, just south and west of the bitter cold.
Cheers and Happy Holidays everyone!

Edit: Finished disc 1 and got out the Deadbase. A strange compilation of two dates setlists. The liner notes don't even detail which songs came from which show. The sound is good so it's puzzling why it is set up this way and some songs are just missing. I guess that's at the crux of the debate on compilations. Better to have an aud. patch or just go with what you've got that's complete and good quality. I like your idea Jim on remaking the correct show on your own. Doubt if I'll bother to do it though. Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Good eyes first show, I never look at the header of these forums. So it was the first pick. Doing the complete show would overlap, yes.. but would have some new stuff.

I have slowly been revisiting some of the partial releases and backfilling with the songs they missed. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'm buzzing on high octane coffee. That's what happens when I get trapped indoors too long.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yes, our original pick from Bolo in 2020. How can we pass this one up Jim. A revisit seems appropriate.

Just got back from taking care of the driveway, sidewalks and roof and one of my neighbors driveway... Yes, it is brutal out.

Have no idea why I still live here. Not for these winters.

user picture

Member for

1 year 5 months

Just finishing up the 22 volumes of Europe '72 on Apple Music. Fun stuff - I made a playlist of Vol. 1-22 (72+ hours). Really got to know the band's sound and tendencies during that stretch.

Any suggestions on what to dive into next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I was just passing it along. But Bolo's advice is usually pretty great.
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Leaphart3.............

I would recommend December 1971..................

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music......

Rock on!

Doc
Every time somebody speaks of my honesty, there is someone who quivers inside me......

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

No comment on Marye's topic What are you doing on NYE?
See recent posts to find the thread started on DaP44.
Gotta be a show to see somewhere.
Who you hangin' and imbibing with?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Leaphart3

As you seem to like big portions, you could try out the St Louis Box - two Dec 71 shows, two October 72 shows and two 1973 shows. And not a dud among them.
My favourite group of shows, with the Europe 72 offerings, is 2/27/69 through to 3/2/69.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I concur with Daverock on the St. Louis Box.
Also, the Pacific Northwest Box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

You have entered the nut zone!

FALL 73

NYE: definitely staying home, probably streaming Dead?
Gonna check out Philski next week for Warfield 100th

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

With last second 61 yd. FG no less.
I'm starting to believe.
Wassail for all!
Cheers

Edit: (a day later) Whereas my team, lovingly referred to as the Donkeys, leads the league in at least one category; Penalties!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Hey 1stShow, another last second win. Two games to go.

I was In the mood for a little Spring 1990 today, so I pulled up 3/30 at Nassau. I know we did this one not too long ago, but it is hard to tire of these shows.

Be well out there.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sometimes Spring '90 does hit the spot, the Nassau and Knickerbocker runs have some really good stuff going on. I took a deep dive into Deer Creek a couple weeks ago, call it a Spring encore. High productivity music when I am in the getting shit done mindset.

I'm with you DVikes.

Been hit or miss with me the last week or so, happy to be a follower from time to time. No complaints with the picks. Travelling, busy, you know.... I'm calling today a catch up day and hopefully tomorrow I can pencil in some time.

I also just pulled out my credit card and purchased last night and tonight's Phil run at the Warfield. VGuy sent me the Cumberland. Holy shit.. it's cookin' Lot a poor man got those Cumberland Blues.....
With Holly sitting in on keys.