• 7,817 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Great show Jim. Good first set, recording is good. Yes, love that Scarlet, Touch, Fire,Man Smart. Good Miracle Stella Blue, Sugar Mag finish and then wait, what, a Dark Star encore. Billy must have loved this one.

Think I might check out 7/6/84 from Alpine next.

• daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Disc 3 with an extra splash of awesome sauce. great comes a time.

and almost forgot - hot 1/2 step > Dancing set I closer! nice combo!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

The Crazy Fingers>PITB>Terrapin>D>S>Standing on the Moon was nice. Holy cow what a great SOTM. I have seen to many Throwing Stones>NFA:USBootz to get too excited anymore.

Nice start to 1989.

I'm halfway through 5/12/77 too. Weird vocals on the Bertha opener. Sometimes I like the reverb on the vocals of '77, sometimes I'm just not in the mood. Great recording and hot show though, once they get warmed up it bakes into the performance nicely.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Afternoon, rockers!!!

Picks Of The Day: Frost Amphitheater, April 27 and 28, 1985

This is for Wilfred T Jones, who challenged me to step outside my comfort zone. I accept the challenge!!!

I always though that the Dead went through a "mini-renaissance" from late 1983 through 1985. There are actually many fine, very enjoyable shows from that era. Back in the day, these were "new and contemporaneous" for us. We got the Frost boards pretty early on and really enjoyed them.

Both are strong shows, I prefer the first night a little more but you decide, execllent soundboards are commonly circulated and worth tracking down..............

We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the secret sits in the middle and knows..........

Rock on,

Doc
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow........

Hey Jim, I agree this is a good show. I saw a few shows in April 89, and I think they were getting the ball rolling. Anyone out there go to any of the Rosemont shows? This Shakedown is really good and the recording is great. Nice Friend of the Devil. They are just getting some of the Built to Last songs going. Second set is good, love the Terrapin and a solid US Blues encore. I think they really started getting hot in July, I mean holy crap July 89 to quote Dave L, upper echelon stuff. And they keep getting even better in the fall Jim as you said.

Okay so Doc gives us two 85 shows. WTJ, we look forward to your reviews.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I was at these 2 shows ; I had a blast. Along with 10/9 & 10/82, these 4 shows were the best shows I saw at the Frost and would make a great release . My brother met and had a great time hanging out with Bobby Peterson on 4/28/85.

A twofer at the Frost. Both new shows for me, so a bonus.

I agree with Doc on the new energy and burst going into their 20th anniversary. They brought in a bunch of new songs and recycled a few they hadn't played in years too.

A weekend at the Frost, what's not to love about that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

For the curated 80's pick. I am more familiar with 4-27, but these 2 will be on my to do list for when I can listen closely. Stay grateful all... :-) :-) :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Step outside to sneak in a little Smokey smoke break, and next thing ya know I’m a half dozen behind!
Been trying to sneak in the new box but only half way through and not the full immersion I usually go for with virginal listens, and no work tunes, so I guess I wanted/needed a burnout break so by God I got one lol.
So hope to get the rest in properly this WE!
THEN, I’ll try to play ketchup…
Might get 10/2/72 in today at work, haven’t spent much time with those 77s so will try next week, and he’ll yeah, Doc approved 85 will definitely get some love! I know I have a tape of one of those but not sure I’ve heard the other so looking forward, never straight, to go there. Oh, definitely need to check out 4/11/89, the 6th I’ve heard/have. Can’t believe I didn’t finagle a way to make it to those Michigan shows. Ole BOO469 went so I had a ride, must of been the new job, Dooaahh.
Carry on mates, now, I gotta git down, to the miiiiiiinnnee!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I hope you all have the new box. I have the 82 shows up next. The 81 shows are fantastic, really impressed.

Should have the Dave's Picks #44 announcement next week.

Good stuff OB, enjoy it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yep DV, trying to make my way through the box. I usually like to do one show a day, in order, first thing when I’m fresh, the coffees kicking in and the weed hasn’t taken over the conversation yet.
But the situation has not allowed that and figured either had to go gorilla style or wait until? Not sure when I’d get the right time, so been trying to sneak em in. Good session with 9/21/82 last night, going for 83 twofer today.
Hoping I can sneak some PTO in the next couple weeks at which time I will follow proper protocol.
But hey, a little bit o something is better than all of nothing. And, hey, Go VIKS!
Maybe mañana do the 85 duo.

I did squeeze in a good listen of the first Frost show. Classic '85. Unique setlist, a good Jerry show. Hot first set with a non-disco Danicing in the Streets into a high energy Bertha. An Appalachian favorite, Brown Eyed Women sets the pace for a strong first set. "We Want Phil" (Garcia I think replies, we all want Phil. We're hanging onto him for a while, he's ours) gives us mellow third of 58 times played Tom Thumb Blues.

Great three Jerry songs in row opens the second set with a Scarlet > Eyes > GDTRFB. A nice little show, an oddity perhaps.

Just got the box so I'll likely blend the 28th with some early 80's MSG shows.

Beautiful fall foiliage this year. It's starting out quite spectacular.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good day, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Winterland October 9 1972

To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition, the end to which every enterprise and labor tends, and of which every desire prompts the prosecution……

Back on their home court, the Dead in fine form! They sound comfortable and happy…….

Nothing stupendous stands out here, but sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The usual suspects, new and old, rock and roll, good old Grateful Dead. Plus about three minutes of good friend Gracie getting down and weird…………..

Good copies circulate, perhaps like Springfield a candidate for official release some day? Until then, enjoy!

Home is the place we love best and grumble the most……

Rock on,

Doc
One never reaches home, but wherever friendly paths intersect the whole world looks like home for a time…….

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I wanted to give these shows a closer headphone listen especially considering Doc’s rare 80’s (90’s next?) recommendation. It’s going to be mixed around a little bit (like me), but here’s my review for DeadVikes. The new clugston/miller transfers/uploads don't disappoint. Especially in the drumz segments, but also in random spots of songs like Throwing Stones. Once it’s dialed in the main sources are clear and satisfying throughout.

Be prepared Jerry's voice is fried in places on both nights, think 4-7-85 type fried (but not quite). 1/2 step and high notes in China Doll on 4-28 are especially ragged. His voice seems to benefit from the rest during the Set II drums break 4-28 though, he sings sweetly Wharf Rat. Set I from 4-27 is a definite keeper with Tom Thumb's standing out particularly (first one?). The grate trio of Tom Thumb>CR&S>Music Never Stopped is tight. Other standouts from a good set I are the high energy fun Dancin' opener, and the BE Women which Jerry sings with welcome gusto. The Audience is a factor both nights.

The second set from 4-28 is definitely more my style with Playing in the Band woven through the proceedings. They give something interesting a try the night before by trying something novel out of Scarlet, but the transition to eyes is too abrupt. Jerry could have led a slower tempo, but unfortunately chooses not to. I like Scarlet, Eyes and GDTRFB, but this night none rise above pedestrian level. Not much stands out from the rest of set II on 4-27, but I liked the wheel out of space and the Truckin’>Other One combo was good choice. I’m surprised the lyrics maybe completely correct on Day Job of all songs.

So in the end, definitely an enjoyable listen and one of those 2 show runs where I like the 1st set from one night and 2nd from the other. 4-28 E2: She Belongs to Me
Stay Grateful All! :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Nice work WTJ. Yes, Jerry was on and off during this period. You know the story.

or Marsha, Marsha, Marsha…
I didn’t think they were that bad?
But, unless he’s got a cold and is having troubles the whole show, it doesn’t really bother me, in fact, often he try’s to make up for it by singing his heart out. Ragged but right!
And yaasssss, the playing is ripping and the energy is almost too high!
If you didn’t know better you might think it a east coast show.
I had never heard the 27, the 28th I’ve had for years.

The 27th does have a fine first set with fun set lists, Agree WTJ the transition from Scarlet to Eyes looks better on paper than in person, but after some many decades I like unusual set lists.
Perhaps not the best of 85, but a fine WE non the less!
Nice to see Doc venture out of his niche, hope he does it some more!

4/11/89: the Shakedown plods a little at first but picks up nicely. Nice little BTL mini set in there.
Overall status quo spring 89, good, but not…quite…there…yet?
I snuck in the first set of 4/9 which I still can’t believe I didn’t go to. So I don’t think I’ve eve4 heard it?

Ok off to the mine, probably will try to finish 10/2/72 that I started last week…

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: Augusta, Maine October 12 1984

This is for Wilfred T Jones. And everybody else, especially those of us who were there……

This was our best, favorite, most fun show of the 80s. Dead center, about 30 feet back, didn’t get crushed, excellent 25, a night to remember!! We had seen some good shows in the Spring 83-Summer 84 period, but frankly, this concert restored our faith in Good Old Grateful Dead.

I’ve said it before, and will say it again, for the rest of our touring careers, after this show we were chasing Augusta. We never got back to that space in time, but it wasn’t for lack of trying………..

Give it a listen, there’s a reason it was on 30 Trips………….

Rock on!

Doc
But the soul of Maine is more apparent in the winter…………….

Greetings Doc! Much enjoying your 80s suggestions after your deep and comprehensive 1971. Left Maine in 1980 after living there for ten years, moved to Vermont to an area you know from living here as well. That made the 1980 Lewiston show my last direct encounter with our band. Promise the soul is there year round. Have explored and hiked much of it, would suggest that those interested in the soul of Maine read Henry David Thoreau's book Ktaadn. Thoreau found his trancendental approach challenged by the formidable hike he took there in 1846 and the hike has not changed, very rugged and totally amazing to cross the peaks on the Knife Edge trail a few feet wide with a thousand foot drop to either side. The northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, it's not the Rockies, but about as good as mountains get on the east coast. Or go out to one of the more remote islands, like Monhegan a little off season.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Shoot my vertigo was just triggered. 10-12-84 anniversary listen? Sure, I'll tune in... :-) :-) :-)

and the Coffee is not strong enough.. I reach for Augusta. Great workout music, great on the river.. high energy GD. Yes, it's mid 80's, ragged at times, the recording, although decent for the era, is inconsistent, I think there's a few well-made audience patches throughout.

It's rough around the edges, but listen to Jerry's work throughout the PITB tease, UJB>...>PITB>UJB>Morning Dew.
He's a man on a mission. The effort more than makes up for the shaggy presentation.

I'm in.

DMCVT, your neck of the woods is on my short list.. maybe next year.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Is it me, my browser, or the dead.net. Just all discussions get wiped out every few months, and I have to poke around to find the fine people of this board...

OB - still owe a response from last month on stereo, I haven't forgotten...I'll get to it, hopefully in next day or two.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

You need to bookmark the sites to easily return to them.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Started it in the car this morning, but since my drive is about 25 min each way, I’ll probably finish set 2 Friday evening which will be just exactly perfect.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Gary, when I go to this site's opening page, I scroll down to the bottom and there you will find the four most recent posts from all threads.

If that doesn't work for you, click on the three lines on the top right on the site, click community, click Dead Heads for this thread or product for the latest Dave's Picks or Box set release.

Speaking of latest Dave's Picks, we should be getting that 91 announcement tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

So, I didn't see that coming, closing out another year with a 1990 pick, but I like it. 6/23/90.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I think it's an ultra matrix. We will see what it sounds like.

Been busy with the Box and Augusta, but I truckin' along. If I poke my head outside, I can see the weekend coming...

Beautiful colors this year in the mid-Atlantic mountains. Super pretty.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Enjoy those colors out there Jim. I am sure it is beautiful. I woke up to snow here in MN,👎. Way too early for that here.

I have been digging the box as well Jim. My only complaint, they didn't include the 79 shows. I mean, interesting choice don't you think. I think the sound quality is really good and better than some of the two track boxes of the past. There are a few short patches but nothing significant. There are definitely no four to five song stretches of no vocals etc. I compared the sound quality to a couple of the 30 Trips shows from the same era and the MSG shows sound better, the sound is fuller. Of course just my opinion.

Will I listen again, absolutely!
You need to be in the mood for the 82-83 shows of course.

Might have to come back with a pick.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Deadvikes, you asked how much the ticket prices were to the 1980 Warfield shows, $12.50 for floor seats , $10.50 for balcony seats. The Warfield only holds 2,300 people, it has a great upstairs bar, and there is not a bad seat in the house. What a bargain 3 sets of music from the Grateful Dead for $12.50 in a tiny theatre. I actually posted this information 2 days ago on the #43 site, you probably didn't see it . Bob Weir is playing the Warfield the next 3 nights, some of the tickets are up at $400.00 a pop, maybe it's for a benefit, I dont know .

Wow, what a bargain hey Billy. Three sets, a small theater and a good bar, what else could you ask for. Thanks for sharing.
Would be fun to have some of those out.

Not sure why the tickets prices are so high now, definitely not what the Dead were about back in the day. I think the most I ever paid was $20 and we had second row seats in April 89 at the old Met.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

According to the US Inflation Calculator $12.50 in 1980 translates to $45.03 today. Still, not bad, but that was before Ticketfuckers and all the rest got fully entrenched. I remember driving to Little Rock to see all the heavy bands in the late 60s-early 70s, and never paying over five bucks for a ticket – a little less than the going rate for a lid of pot ($5 in 1968 equals $42.64 in 2022). All the great bands of the day that is except for the Grateful Dead, who never came to Arkansas. (Can't imagine why, and, No, my grandfather wan't named Snuffy.)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

They used to tour to promote an album, now they make an album to get people to come see them in concert.

...and then albums quit selling.

Got to give the GD credit for figuring out live music was where the action is.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Rise and shine, rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: Milk Weg, Amsterdam October 16, 1981

This is for Wilfred T Jones. And for all those who like to indulge in hash that perspires……

Don’t know how highly you rate weirdness value, but this rates as about an 11 on my 1-10 weirdness scale. The second of two Oops concerts at this small club. Borrowed instruments. Bob Weir’s birthday. A pretty nice acoustic set. Electric set that goes straight into deep weirdness, with Hully Gully, Gloria, a resurrected Lovelight. Weird with a capital W………….

Was this this last truly spontaneous thing the Dead did? Not sure about that, but if TPTB have a sense of cosmic adventure and fun, maybe it’ll officially see the light of day at some future date…….

We talk about quantum weirdness and things being in two places at once, but it all involves atoms and molecules, stuff we don't normally interact with……

Rock on!!!

Doc
I think 'weird' is an interesting way to say 'unique.' It has a strange connotation, but weird is good. If you embrace your weirdness, you'll be on the way to becoming who you are…..

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

my coda then and now. Thanks Doc, love those 81 European shows, especially Barcelona.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

anybody looking for a POTD maybe try 12/16/78 Nashville (don't think we've done this) - no SBD but a really clean and sweet sounding Joani Walker/Paul Scotton audience/Charlie Miller transfer. Jerry is really on it, and interestingly he is playing a Travis Bean 1000 rather than Wolf. This is one of series of 4(?) shows in 12/78 where that was case. Sort of a melding of 2 eras, in terms of sound and playing. Great Jerry songs throughout, wowza opening Sugaree, awesome Tennessee Jed, a jammed out Scarlet>Fire, and the outro chorus on He's Gone is one of "those" wild ones. Would love for a SBD to surface for release. Someone pinged this show and source over on Steve Hoffman site.

That second night at the Melkweg is indeed something else. Everyone (except maybe Phil) with borrowed instruments. I mean, an acoustic set, Playing>Hully Gully??!!>Wheel>Samson>Gloria>Lovelight - good golly. A show that truly has that it'sapartybirthdayvibe to it.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Interesting show. I have never heard this one. Love the acoustic set. Really good Birdsong, Cassidy, Oh Babe it ain't no Lie, Ripple. Sound quality on the acoustic set seemed a little better than the electric set. Fun show and worth a listen. Thanks Doc and another shout out to WTJ.

12/16/78, okay Bluecrow, I will check it out, thanks.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I couldn't do 10/16 (or 12/16 for that matter today), but man is that is a one-off, special show. I wouldn't say great or next for release, the recording has a few issues, many of the songs they played were not polished and rehearsed. Which makes it classic Grateful Dead.

I will make it a point to to chatch both shows in the next week or so. We do what can when we can.. right?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Northrop Auditorium, Minneapolis October 19 1971

I’ve been trying to stay away from 1971s, but maybe this is worthy? Historic, with a capital H……..

First live show with Keith Godchaux. Love him or hate him, this was the first……….

Debut of six new songs---Tennessee Jed, Jack Straw, Mexicali Blues, Comes A Time, One More Saturday Night, Ramble On Rose.

The first of the 1971 Fall/Winter FM broadcasts.

Is it smooth as silk? No, as you might expect. Is it just exactly perfect? Well, no, but it’ll do quite nicely. Especially the scorcher of a second set.

Official release material? Maybe. Especially as part of the upcoming 1971 Fall/Winter box set, due for release in 2026, which will finally replace the bogus bootleg box sets that have been around for years……….

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes….

Rock on!

Doc
Still round the corner there may wait, a new road or a secret gate…...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey hey hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Carrier Dome, Syracuse October 20, 1984

This is for Wilfred T Jones. And Angry Jack Straw. Because, well, Jack Straw…………

We saw seven shows on the Fall 1984 East coast tour, including this one, and had a blast. Deadhead Fred supplied the liquid 25, Syracuse supplied the cavernous Carrier Dome, Good Old Grateful Dead capped off our Fall festivities with some great music!

We were all the way back on the floor. We avoided the crush down front, but the music crushed us back there. Maybe it was the ‘cid, maybe it was the dome, but on this night we didn’t perceive any Dead weaknesses and just had a trippin’ grand time!! Especially Bird Song, the angry Jack Straw, Shakedown, Wheel, Other One, and Lovelight. Take a step back, indeed……….

The talented Mr Miller did a real nice remaster, check it out. Worthy of release one of these decades. That is, when they do the 1984 box set……………

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move…………..

Rock on!!

Doc
Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be…..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am connected to this show through mind expansion also, albeit more recent. 5-19-74 is connected to the same batch and a similar experience for me. Good trips.

Stay Grateful All and Have a Grateful Day :-')

The Northrup Auditorium at the University of Minnesota. I have seen a couple of non dead shows (last one was Steely Dan) here. A nice smaller venue. This show broadcast on our still active 92 KORS. Fun show. Good recording and great fall 71 performance.

So far behind now and another anniversary selection from 84. I will have to put it on the list.

Are you taking some time off OB?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Worcester Centrum, October 21 1983

This is for Wilfred T Jones. And for Ken Kirk and Joe Lydon, my two best touring buddies. Gentlemen, I salute you!!!

We saw every Dead Centrum show and always had fun. Although it wasn’t the Music Hall, it wasn’t such a bad place. The 84 shows may have been the best, but 83 was also very good. The October 21st show was officially released as part of 30 Trips back in October 2015 and is worth a listen. It’s not exactly perfect, but it was exactly what we needed at the time……

I believe things cannot make themselves impossible……

Rock on!!!

Doc
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else……..
P.S. See you on Halloween!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

WTJ,

Your 90s shows are in the 90s. My time machine is in the shop for a tune up, so it's much harder for me to revisit the past.

I suppose I'll hafta get to that decade eventually. Every time I do, I break out in a rash. Damn, you're so cruel.................

The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion........

Rock on!!

Doc
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.......
P.S. LOL I don't do Brent tributes.........

70's are ok picks too for the late era impaired. I sincerely appreciate the riff though and the poignant pics. Most enjoyable, even though they might be a bit out of your (the) wheel box, quite good selections actually.

As you were folks, just be yourselves.

4/2/73 anyone? In a distant fog, I recall this one having great sound and some high marks. '73 was a mini creative high point for Jerry. From the GD and the new material from Wake to Old and In the Way, to what he was doing with Saunders and the early solo stuff, he was still playing Pedal Steel. He was unstoppable, practically every night and by my guess sleeping very little. 73 was the perfect prelude to 74 and a great leap into the unknown from a great 1972.

Suggesting selfishly because it's been so long since I listened to this that it's slipping from memory. Just don't expect me to suddenly like Wave That Flag.

Edit: I'm sorry for picking a released show
Edit2, in my best Pee Wee Herman "III'mmm Nnnot Sorrrrry"

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Nice Pick, Jim. HS Sunshine and Jam seem to be my initial recollections. We'll see what another relisten jogs in my memory. I have a good morning to get that in and potentially some other music, too. We'll see what the day brings. I know I will be in the water. Eau Claire river to be exact. It's shallow and sandy where I'll be dipping my toe in. Stay grateful all. :-')

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Great idea Jim. Probably the most played Dave's in my house and I haven't listened to this one in a while, so it is due for another. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

hey now, how about this one, seems the first set has been found with a good Bird Song etc... I've heard the second set and who doesn't love a 72 He's Gone?