• 1,097 replies
    Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    • 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
    • 25th Anniversary Tour Program
    • Official Band Letters
    • 6 Ticket Stubs
    • 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
    • 1 Tour Laminate
    • Official 1990 Band publicity shot
    • 6 complete shows on 18 discs
          • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
          • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
          • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
    Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
    Original art by Wes Lang
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• ststeve
    ...and the TOO as well...have been kicking myself ever since!
  • hlpeebles
    Dear Dead.Net,Fix the digital downloads so fans can have this music. Downloads have been listed as temporarily unavailable for a long time. When will it be fixed? Thank you
  • chMusicLife0948
    Default Avatar
    This is my first post! I would love to own a copy on digital flac of Spring 1990. Please make this available soon! Paying $1400 for Spring 1990 on eBay is pretty steep! I love the Grateful Dead and for me it's about the music, whether I own a physical copy or can purchase the music online. I am very thankful the Grateful Dead is available to purchase at other websites, https://us.7digital.com/ is a great source for Dick's Picks, Europe '72, Road Trips, etc.
  • Super Mikey
    I’m wondering the same thing! There’s a couple that I’d love to buy as digital.
  • kemo
    anybody know if this will happen anytime soon or otherwise?
  • Nicolas
    It is good to see a digital one !! :) Will order it soon ;)
  • kemo
    I am finally ready to get it. hopefully one day soon
  • GoldenCO
    Default Avatar
    Anyone know when this will become available for download again?
user picture
Default Avatar
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
• 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
• 25th Anniversary Tour Program
• Official Band Letters
• 6 Ticket Stubs
• 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
• 1 Tour Laminate
• Official 1990 Band publicity shot
• 6 complete shows on 18 discs
      • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
      • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
      • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
Original art by Wes Lang
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

hey all, you had better read the transaction details on this site before you plop down your cash, they have covered every base and dotted every eye and crossed every tee to make sure that they get their money, reguardless, let the buyer beware.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

I was at the Knickerbocker in Albany! The show was awesome, I can't wait to hear the Dupree again!, I remember some members of the crowd were pretty unruly. Some guy smashed a beer bottle on the windshield of of an Albany PD Cruiser, right in front of where we parked. I spent a half hour convincing the cops my buddy and myself were cool drive and that we did not know the bottle breaking idiot. Peace Happy B-day Jerry!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

"Jerry would never!" Yup, some guy on a comment board knows best what Garcia would think -- that makes perfect sense! SimonRob, you make perfect sense regarding the pricing. But we are a very entitled bunch of whiners, so it will fall on our deaf ears.
user picture
Default Avatar

I was very happy to see the email announcing this box set arrive in my inbox today. I've always loved the spring/summer tour of '90 as that included my first show. The 24-track recording was plucked mainly from this tour for 'Without a Net' and the sound of that release had always defined for me the epitome of early '90's Grateful Dead. It has an energy, fullness, and creativity that sounded always crisp and enthusiastic - from the Terrapin limited release to Without a Net, Nightfall of Diamonds and Dozin at the Knick - they all paint a pretty accurate picture of the awesome playing that was going on at that time. Although like many posting here I, too, have several of these shows in good digital form, but i will always look forward to having the real deal. For those who seem to complain about new releases at each opportunity, my advice is to just not buy them if it is going to cause such a negative experience for you. thankfully i like to think those people are the minority of those fans who love the music and understand the workings of free enterprise and an excellent product that you can collect and have for generations to enjoy down the road. Cant wait to get mine - i have learned (thankfully not the heard way, but by reading many posts here) to scoop these up when they hit my inbox otherwise i might lose out. Thankfully i was able to jump on the Europe '72 Box and i have been a happy happy man ever since. Keep the good music coming. And thanks.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Our tech wizard suggests downloading,installiing chromium from the ubuntu software center, which should solve the problem.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Having watched DLs video I see that it will also be possible to assemble the compleete show of March 24 1990 from the bonus tracks on Show 4 of tihs set, plus Dozin' at the Knick (Walkin Blues, all of Disc 2 and Disc 3 1-6), Without a Net (OMSN) and Postcards from the Hanging (Desolation Row).
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Being that initially when I first got news of this release today, I was kind of bummed at the limited status of this, the cost of this release and my current limited fundages, and the prospect of missing out on another FW '69 quality and historically important run of shows. That is until a friend and true brother-from-another-mutha has ordered an extra copy of this set for me! Sweeeet! Especially so because 4/2/90 was such a great show, and I was there! Even though I am getting this box set, I wish tptb would reconsider the limitations of 9000 units and that these shows won't be available individually. I also believe they would easily sell more than twice the 9000 units number of these particular shows.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I wrote the initial "two cents" comment but neglected to include my user name because I assumed it would just naturally appear. My user name is below. Just like people knew that people would "kvetch" and "bitch" and "whine," I knew that people would attack the people who expressed their dismay or criticized, critiqued or complained about the release. No one attacks those who love the release, but those who love it try to shout down those that don't. I don't understand that. And the name calling is ridiculous. Did your mothers not teach you not to call other people names? This space isn't just for praising the release; it is also for the opposite. More power to those that love the release (although it is just going to encourage higher priced releases-if we would refuse to pay what they demanded, prices would go down). Spring 90 is a good tour, very good to great if you compare it to any tour after Jan/Feb '78 in my opinion. The artwork looks very nice. Re: the price comparison of Europe 72 and this release (more than $5.50 per disc difference), the fact that there is more junk and less discs does not justify that increase. So I do not think that SimonRob makes perfect sense. Re: comparing the Winterland boxes (10 discs each, approx $100 each) and this, yeah, they are similar, they were overpriced too, I complained about the price then (comparing them to Fillmore West '69 which was appro $70 total), but overlooked it and bought them anyways. I was in the "I owe them" phase then, and I don't blame anyone who is still in that phase. I want to buy shows from dead.net, just not at this price. Re: 9000, I think it will sell out, probably within a few days or a week. dstache
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Regarding "did you see downloads of "Winterland, Europe '72,etc?"...I saw every single one of those uploaded at CD ripped quality.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have order this and have bought others! My first time to see the Grateful Dead was 1984 in Provedence, R.I.. I got to see them several more times. I have seen them as the Other Ones and as The Dead. Now they are out there as The Further. I wish they would do at least one more huge tour as The Grateful Dead. But until that happens I have the shows from the past that I did not get the chance to see. I would just be happy with the CD's and not all the rest, but it's all good. What A Long Strange Trip It's Been!!!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

On the contrary, if you like the release, you are an ass-kisser, or probably just super rich and, unlike those who *really* care about the music, you're just into material possessions by implication. Yeah, sure. There are no attacks on those who like the release. Please.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

"I saw every single one of those uploaded at CD ripped quality." Not talking about stealing the releases, as some always will, talking about official downloads.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

1. We think we have the Canada shipping thing fixed, but lemme know if this is not the case. 2. I'm seeing user names with posts just fine; if you are not, please PM me with the specifics. Thanks much.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

No whining here. I am not rich but I will shell out some doe for this. Some times this comment board sounds like a bunch of angry old farts. If you don't like don't buy it! For me, Its like Christmas morning in the middle of summer. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Another attractive money grab from all the suits and lawyers over at what is left of Rhino!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

does not make a new shopping experience. sorry rhino, you can't fool me again. i'll wait for somebody to rip the discs for me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

To paraphrase Fat Freddy and Freewheelin' Franklin, Dead will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no Dead. Ok, I have other Dead to listen to, so it's not like I'd starve
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Having read of the seemingly-endless woes of non-US Deadheads as they wait for their shipments to arrive (most recently the '72 set, which prompted untold angst), I now find myself a member of your club. I recently moved from the US to Singapore and am fretting a bit that I may experience the same difficulties many of you have had. It took two months and 15 e-mails to Dr. Rhino to change over my Dave's Picks address, and I'll know soon if that worked (Vol. 3 is on the way). And I just placed my first direct international order for the new box set, and happily, the system didn't seem at all flustered as it pondered my new SE Asian address. The shipping charges total US$35.95, but if the package arrives in good shape and prior to Armageddon, I'll be content.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Wow, really cool release. I'm sure that poster is gonna be an amazing collectors item too. I remember this tour, not particularly shows on this leg live, but rather the ones I remember on tapes. I'm really excited to get home and listen to this. As for the ripping and stuff, I know for a fact, that owning these kind of things and enjoying the insert articles, posters, cool stuff is like a pandoras box of treasure in time. One can't fathom the powerful memories that can be released with the Good' Lovin' Extras. Don't have the dough, but still heading towards the sunshine on this release. Thank you Rhino and Dead.Net, GD Family for this one.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hi Mary - i just started reading all the posts pertaining to the New Spring 90 Box. in your post, you mention something about hope the shipping to Canada is fixed I pre-ordered this before your email post, my shipping charge was $27.95 -> What should be the shipping charge to Canada? If it is different, how do i get a credit for the shipping thanks, joe
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

I definitely shouldn't drop $200 on a box set, but since I've been hoping for some more late Brent-era releases and have a forgiving wife, what the hell. I'm excited about the music here, plain and simple. My shelves are bursting with '68-'79 Dead and I've had a hankering for the full, fat, powerful sound the band developed in the late 80s, when I shed my diapers and got onboard. While I love the photos and essays, I really couldn't care less about the other hoopla, and I too would like to revert back to the old DP days when a show was...what...$20? But clearly that's not happening. As far as I'm concerned, the band worked their asses off for over 20 years before they had any commercial success, and now in their old age they can collect for that labor. Ain't nothing wrong with that.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Hey Joe, I'd pm Marye for this one. Hope it works out for you.Gratefulness is Bliss.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 5 months

How can anyone complain. These guys gave us their lives. They aren't allowed to make money ??People complaining about corporate this,money this. This set is worth every cent. The Dead and Rhino have always put out quality stuff. I have hundreds of free downloads,tapes,etc..the band has always been very giving..Keep these beautiful sets coming. This will sell out quick. Thanks again and Happy BD to JER
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I'll wait for the 1991 release.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

What a bunch of cry babies ! Oh I don' t like this tour..or Oh it's too expensive. Just shut the hell up already ! If you don' t like it, don't buy it, it's that frickin simple ! You people make me sick with all your complaining.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Ahhh, just like old times to partake in a good old-fashioned Grateful Dead Debate! And in the spirit of the original Beatsters (from which Jerry and the Boys evolved from ) I'd like to throw my 2 cents (...er, $199.00) into the hat to help stoke a respectable, peaceful discussion on ethics and philosophy. Like most if not all of you, my love for the Grateful Dead is unconditional. As a music lover but also a musician and artist, it is on a cellular level. To put a price on the meaningfulness of this experience is impossible, yet paradoxically a made-in-heaven scenario for those in control of marketing this precious commodity. Equally paradoxical is the very philosophy that so many Deadheads hold; that this priceless entity be made available to the masses if not for free, then as cheaply as possible or to be bartered. That being said, my personal feelings are based on my life experience. I have always strove to work very hard and be the very best at what I do as a creator, while always connecting to others from my heart through my work. As a result, I have enjoyed making a comfortable enough living to be able to experience over 50 live Dead concerts, not via the iconic Microbus or auto caravan, but mostly by Jet air travel. Not because I am a snob or enjoy polluting the atmosphere (which I was unconscious of at the time) but simply put: I cannot do what I do and be on Tour with The Dead. That's the Beauty of Grateful Dead: an All American tradition that includes all life styles. Yet the $200+ pricetag for this set would definitely suggest exclusion to most, wouldn't it? Perhaps, from the view of those in a static earning position. But as an artist who retails my own work at what some might consider unaccessible prices while other collectors gladly throw down, it's all a question of personal value and personal 'values'. To put it simply: Regardless of one's earning ability (or choice) they can choose to avoid buying this either on principal or lack of funds; and if the latter is true, resort to that age-old principal of finding a way to earn it or save up for it...(as I myself have done with things I think are 'out of my reach', which is a poo-poo belief system!) Anyway, to get off the soap box, there will be a 2-disc 'digest' of this in September for the naysayers. As for me, the memories of that tour, the music, places,faces, good times are too precious; and regardless of the ethics of Dave/Rhino I believe the Universe will reimburse me for every penny thrown down on this Joy-producing collection that regardless of the high price, I am Grateful that is available to my ears forever!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Can't wait to get my hands on this. I really loved the band with Brent.. RIP..
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

I was reading through the set lists and came across the 3/22/90 list from Hamilton, Ontario that includes Hey Jude>Dear Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude. That sounds familiar...I used to have that tape. I guess I still have it in one of those boxes of cassette tapes that I have stored away. That was a good show...I remember that one. I could dig out the tape, but I find I never listen to the old tapes any more because there's so many great-sounding official releases. But occasionally it's good to hear an old audience tape and get the feel of being there. Different topic - I agree with the comment about having these on vinyl, but can you imagine the expense? I think it would be a lot more. Would be nice to have an album cover to hold in my hand and peruse while listening...Did Bear's Choice get re-released on vinyl? I saw it in Grimey's vinyl top 20 for last week...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Nice boxed set ... product. I don't much care for all the "stuff" that came with the E72 set but I have to remember that this is a product and not just "the music". I'm glad some complete shows from this era is being officially released. It's good music and it's overdue. I'm looking forward to hearing this.
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

I only saw the two Hartford shows on this tour but the 3/19/90 is one of the best shows they played. It would be in my top 10 for sure. It has the definative version of Foolish Heart, much better than the RFK from later in the summer. I always loved the Atlanta run as well. It looks like they have added lots of goodies to sweeten the pot. I am jumping for this one for sure.Dave we love you but you need cue cards brother :) Post cards of the edge featuring Desolation Row, not Masterpiece..gasp!!!!
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Yes, actually there were. A "good friend of mine" was able to find and download the Complete Fillmore West '69 box set (the rarest box of them all), the Complete Europe '72 box (all 73 CDs!), the 1990 Warlocks box, the Beyond Description box, the entire Road Trips series, the entire Dick's Picks series, the So Many Roads box set, both Dave's Picks releases, etc. He already had the Winterland '73 and '77 boxes, but those are out there as well. By next week, one will be able to find a download for Dave's Picks 3, and by September I have no doubt that the entire 18 CDs from this set will be available somewhere. There is no practical way to control it. The digital genie is out of the bottle and he ain't going back in. So this is for the memorabilia-fetishists and die-hard collectors. And Rhino only has to push 9,000 of them, which is nothing, grossing them a cool $1.8 million dollars from just this one release. Those of us who can live without the replica Dennis McNally laminate and beer coasters already have these shows, or can easily acquire them.
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

Are these from multitracks? If so, it will be a nice upgrade from what already circulates.
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

to be honest this box was way more than i wanted to spend, but after constantly bitching about there being too many '70s dead releases, i felt i owed it to them. i really am happy with the shows selected. however, it would have been nice to get at least one 'shakedown street'. i ordered within the first 30 minutes. hopefully, the limited edition number reflects this. not the shipping method chosen.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

I echo the comments of whoever (Dred something? I can't find the post on a second scan of the thread) asked about the problems associated with portraying a skeleton in a seemingly Cherokee-style headdress. For the Big Pow Wow RT release, I understood T.C.'s liner notes about the sympatico vibe between the heads and Seminole land and traditions, but I think we have to be cautious in coopting native imagery, lest we end up profiting from an imaginary relationship with indigenous people, a la Jim Morrison and many others. In the best of cases, I suppose the communal and spiritual ways of heads owes something to indigenous nations, but Dred raises some important questions.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

As far as I am concerned people can find the shows in soundboard format very easily online so complaining about the price tag is a moot point. If you are like me and are a bit of an audiophile then getting these shows in multi-track remastered awesomeness atroughly $12 bucks a disk is hardly a burden. Yes CD's should be cheaper. Yes they should offer a downloadable option like Phish and other bands do. However I am of the opinion that the guys who do the work like Lemieux etc.. are very aware of the criticism and are trying to find creative ways to "add value" with these box sets. Enjoy the music.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have mixed feelings about this release. For one, after the Europe '72 debacle about what was promised in the initial press about what it would be and what it would contain, I am hesitant to buy again. Fool me once, shame on you mindset. But this one looks a little better prepared than that one, so that looks promising. I remember missing out on the first Fillmore West 10 disc set, and how much those are selling for now. Since then I've scrimped and saved to get all the official releases. Not that I like all of them, but it's about the music. The band shares so much of what they have with us, allowing taping and all, I feel that it is the least that I can do to repay them by purchasing their official releases. Yeah, I know the suits and lawyers at Rhino are screwing us all over, but that's life in corporate America. My only regret is that I wish the band members were a little more involved in the releases, in all aspects, including the cost. I'm sure they would do us all right.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

If this release was the product of a new, multi-track mixing effort, I'm sure that information would be included in the description. So what we have here are some live to 2-track tapes, spruced up in a hurry by Jeff Norman and offered at a premium price. The trend is to put as little effort into the production as the Heads will tolerate (E 72 box for example, with its rushed and flawed mix) and see what the market will bear. This is a test. The retail cost per audio value goes up and up. Where do you (where do I) draw the line? I'll buy this one because I have all the rest and I appreciate the packaging and the fact that we even have the opportunity. At the same time I am REALLY burned that more effort is not made to ensure that the best possible audio product reaches the loyal consumers. Shame! I have no qualms with the good, old American free market but the rip-off increases with every release. And this from supposed hippies! Greed. Get used to it. It's only going to get worse.
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

1. i'm not really sure why people are assuming the sound quality will be lackluster. 2. many people claim to be audiophiles, but most can't tell the difference between the various degrees of high end audio production. its quite hilarious when you think about it. you don't ever encounter people claiming to have better than 20/20 vision just to impress upon others.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 11 months

To the best of my knowledge, the Spring of 1990, along with the latter half of 1989, was recorded on multi-track tapes. This is a new mix, with every effort to make it sound as great as possible. Listening to The Warlocks Box, the sonic glory of multi-track material reveals itself like a flash of audio lightning.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

This was the last of the great tours of this era. The summer tour was good and had some great spots in it, but to me the highlight of my dead experience was at copps. That shit was pure magic, when that show ended, people were crying everywhere. The experience was never captured on tape to my knowledge. The albany shows were good, but the real shit happened in canada. It was kinda ironic because there was a huge drought of "fun supplies" because of the widespread fear and rumors on crossing the border. Haha!

Member for

16 years 9 months

Yeah, when Terrapin Limited came out, I thought it was about the best sounding release I'd ever heard ~ and we'd always considered that the weak night of the three! It cleaned up very nice (and our seats weren't the best for sound.) Very psyched that one of the "other" nights ~ my favorite of the stand ~ is being released. "Black Throated" was a particular joy, as Bob never resurrected his classics once he put them away, and my friend Dean and I had just debated before the lights went down whether we'd rather see him bring out "Lazy Lightning" or "Black Throated Wind." Then, of course, the church version of "Blow Away," where Jerry himself enticed us to clap along, even he was that moved. Earlier that same evening in the parking lot, Dean had the bright idea to trade our extras for 3rd night Nassau (hated to lose the chance to "miracle" someone, but it sounded like a good train to catch). Our boss graciously supported the idea, so up we went. I still remember Dean's crestfallen face when he saw what they'd played already, the previous two nights. He needn't have worried. I, for one, am utterly psyched that David chose 3/30, much less heralded than the Branford-flavored previous night but what a gem. First set could've been louder from the rafters, but opened with my first Help On the Way (finally!); Dire Wolf was always a treat; and another was Phil singing "going back to New York City" in NYC : ) We scored VIP seats for the second set, with the Playin -> China Doll -> Uncle John's and a fully realized Standing On the Moon (complete with guitar solo unlike '89 versions, Jerry bestowing it with the mark of his classic ballads).....sweetness indeed. And the sweetest sugar was to come ~ the Attics encore left us speechless. The harmonies, and music, were impossibly tight. The last time I'd see Brent, as it happened : ( Can't wait to tell my brother ~ who made the Hamilton trek ~ that one of "his" Copps shows is finally being released! Maybe these aren't the sickest shows ever, but they were solid, the energy couldn't be beat, and in my own personal trajectory this was the last tour I dropped everything for ~ kind of the last bloom of my "golden" show-going years, where the band mattered to me more than anything else going on. I'd never do a Dead road-trip again (well, not till New Year's 2003). Anyway, sorry for the novella. I LOVE this box format of a show from each stop ~ I think it's just the right amount to document such a tour. Wish they'd have squeezed 3/14's Crazy Fingers -> Playin' set opener onto disc 3 of 3/16 (a la the Albany bonus filler), but hey we could always wish for more and I think it's great that there's bonus filler on one of them. (For the piece-mealers, Estimated from 3/21 Copps is released on Weir Here, hadn't heard that mentioned below.) Thanks, people. Fun release, and I love those 60-page hardbound coffee table books.....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

I just had my entire post erased, awesome. Anyway, I was at 2 of these shows, this was the last of the golden era. Copps was magical, the essence of those shows in canada never made it to tape, from what I have heard of them. This was truly a special event, people were crying and embracing like I'd never seen anywhere at a show. The band was possessed. It was an experience I'll never forget.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Yeah, my brother has always gushed about Copps, what a special scene it was......and I believe they actually drove their "goodies" right over the border, to boot. A carload of undisguised longhairs, go figure. Guess the vibes really were that special! Looking forward to hearing a whole Hamilton show in superb quality...... (and just played David's videos ~ NOW I know why no other fillers...they're keeping the other shows on ice for very possible future release.)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

Europe '72 debacle? WTF? Is there nothing that people won't complain about?
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

the cap center run was 3 of the first 15 shows i saw. if i didn't know any better, i woulda said it was mydland's band. christ, the energy-jerry fed offa him like a sponge. the interplay was unbelievable. march, 1990. if you were there, you know. if you weren't, well, buy this or find it on the net and listen to that transition between scarlet-fire from copps. mind melter. happy bday fatman.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

WELL JERRY, I know you didn't think it would ever come to this. They are using your birthday to sell overproduced packages at inflated prices. The Grateful Dead were always a multi-tiered user experience. We all experienced it on different levels. 22 years after this music was played some of us will experience this music again in this form or another. BUT, JERRY, I know you'd not of approved of the way this was released, whatever form it has taken. Bunch of hucksters. We now return to the eternal debate - rip those scraps apart!
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Love the Dead but the Dead with Brent Mydland singing, reminds me of Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

Well this seems weird. Tried to pre-order the 2 CD version at $16.99 but the shipping cost came up as almost $35 - making it just under $52 for these two little discs to find their way to Australia. I don't get it - we have a military alliance with America and we gave President Obama the royal treatment when he came here ... plus we gave you Russel Crowe, Errol Flynn, AC/DC and Mel Gibson (we don't want him back by the way). So it doesn't seem fair! I think the may be a problem with the shipping cost - anyone else have this issue?
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

So, here's my own bitch.... Having an Atlanta Omni show acknowledged is amazing enough, but WHY oh WHY not go for the LAST night of the tour ??? The 1st and 2nd nights were OK, but that last "magic" night, with it's WTF set list and "everything but the kitchen sink" space, (Thanks, Dan...) was an *incredible end to an incredible tour". WHY pretend it didn't exist ? I'm happy to have the spring tour '90 finally represented properly, (so, well, my kids will eat cereal for a couple of weeks...) (I'm kidding) But, there are some obvious magic moments that have been overlooked. Still. GOOD JOB ! Color me, "218.00 lighter" Joshua
product sku
GRA9900088