• 54 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    This 5LP set is strictly limited to 5,000 copies.

As you're likely now aware, we'll be reissuing some of the Dave's Picks releases on vinyl, re-mastered from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman. We won't be releasing them all, but we'll be curating some of our and your favourites on an occasional basis. Last year, Vol. 1 from 5/25/77 came out on vinyl, and the second release will be Vol. 23, the magnificent show from 1/22/78 in Eugene, OR. This show is dynamite from start to finish, with a few upper-tier Grateful Dead moments from the 1977-1978 period. The unique "Close Encounters" theme and "St. Stephen" are the centrepieces of what is considered one of 1978's best second sets. We have more great Dave's Picks planned for vinyl release, so stay tuned, but for now we hope you'll dig the long-sold-out-on-CD Vol. 23. - David Lemieux

Close encounters in Eugene, Oregon! We are not alone in saying this one could be considered top-of-line Grateful Dead from 1978. Yes, as the tales have been told, 1/22/78 conjured up vibes of the Be-in, Altamont, Yippies, Psychedelia, Woodstock, Free Speech, Acid Trips, heaven for one lucky concert-goer, and of course, aliens. If you wanna know what we're on about, there's no better way to experience the show than with this lovingly-restored version from legendary sound engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson's recordings. Witness sets packed with bright and vibrant gems like a surprisingly heavy "Row Jimmy," a freshly tender "Ship Of Fools," and a transcendental "The Other One." And if you have levitated too far, Jerry's "Close Encounters" solo (ironic, we know) will reel you back in and set you right up for the powerful crescendo of "St. Stephen" and the band's shake-it-all-about boogie-down finale.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Mine arrived on Saturday in the UK - alas the box was damaged, dinged corners and splits in the top and bottom seams of the tray, along with light scratch marks on record 5 (and lots of paper bits from the inner sleeve cut outs). The cardboard mailer was the low level sort that I thought nobody had used for years offering minimal protection - so different from normal Rhino packaging. Alas Rhino Customer Service very busy and seem to be in Groundhog Day with automated replies. Fingers crossed they get their act together soon and sort it out.

• onedogdan

Just got mine. The right channel seems to be mixed really low. Like, REALLY low. I checked another couple LPs, no problem. Anyone else?

• marye
    No worries. I think a lot of things are just a little out of whack all over these days.
  • daverock

Sorry about my last post, Marye. I didn't mean to be making light of the work you do - I think you do a great job. You've helped me enough times.
    In my line of work, when people complained, it was often the system I worked for and not me as an individual that was at fault. That's what I told myself anyway.

• marye
    So sorry for your trouble. Please send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can straighten this out.
  • daverock

Yes, I agree with that. High number of enquiries? Is that a joke? - probably a recorded message that was put there about 5 years ago.

Curious as to what people think of this album. I am buying more and more vinyl, and haven't been disappointed with any Dead ones so far. But with 6/10/73 coming out it has stiff competition.

• jjc

I received the dave's Eugene vinyl yesterday. Sit tight folks probably on the way

• tombstone
    Default Avatar

I preordered the 5LP 1978 show in February but still have no evidence I'll even receive it outside my original order. I emailed customer service. Their response was pretty much useless: unfortunately we cannot tailor a specific response due to a high number of inquiries, blah, blah...

I buy as much as i can and spend lots of money here as you all do. But this endless "hurry up and buy now before they're all gone" business model Rhino has poisoned the Dead with has really grown tiresome. It should really go back to how it was pre-Rhino where the music was always available and reprints of titles were a thing. Just my thoughts on it all.

• Dennis

Got a notice a while ago, but per usual useless.

Arrived today.

As usual LP size album cover art much nicer than cd size, duh! :-)

• boblopes

I thought it was supposed to go out end of last week, but I have not received any shipping notification, though I did for the new DaP...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

This 5LP set is strictly limited to 5,000 copies.

As you're likely now aware, we'll be reissuing some of the Dave's Picks releases on vinyl, re-mastered from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman. We won't be releasing them all, but we'll be curating some of our and your favourites on an occasional basis. Last year, Vol. 1 from 5/25/77 came out on vinyl, and the second release will be Vol. 23, the magnificent show from 1/22/78 in Eugene, OR. This show is dynamite from start to finish, with a few upper-tier Grateful Dead moments from the 1977-1978 period. The unique "Close Encounters" theme and "St. Stephen" are the centrepieces of what is considered one of 1978's best second sets. We have more great Dave's Picks planned for vinyl release, so stay tuned, but for now we hope you'll dig the long-sold-out-on-CD Vol. 23. - David Lemieux

Close encounters in Eugene, Oregon! We are not alone in saying this one could be considered top-of-line Grateful Dead from 1978. Yes, as the tales have been told, 1/22/78 conjured up vibes of the Be-in, Altamont, Yippies, Psychedelia, Woodstock, Free Speech, Acid Trips, heaven for one lucky concert-goer, and of course, aliens. If you wanna know what we're on about, there's no better way to experience the show than with this lovingly-restored version from legendary sound engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson's recordings. Witness sets packed with bright and vibrant gems like a surprisingly heavy "Row Jimmy," a freshly tender "Ship Of Fools," and a transcendental "The Other One." And if you have levitated too far, Jerry's "Close Encounters" solo (ironic, we know) will reel you back in and set you right up for the powerful crescendo of "St. Stephen" and the band's shake-it-all-about boogie-down finale.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

Took me awhile to find how to comment - I've had similar quality issues with DP Vol. 23 - every disc sounds like someone walked on it. Side 2 Peggy-O has a blemish that sounds like it would take the diamond off the cantilever.
Quality inspection!
Will take a good look at ordering any additional vinyl. You spend this kind of $$, you should expect a good product. Quite a difference to the 1977-05-07 Boston RSD release.

Tom B.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yeah, these discs are screwed, especially sides 2 and 3 for me. When I asked for a refund all I got was an undeliverable message, BOOOOOO! Got me thinking about future vinyl purchases for sure, this one just.doesn't.cut.it. PM to Marye, our resident hero...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead-1/daves-picks-vol.-23-eugene-or-12278-5lp/081227883157.html