• 54 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    This 5LP set is strictly limited to 5,000 copies.

As you're likely now aware, we'll be reissuing some of the Dave's Picks releases on vinyl, re-mastered from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman. We won't be releasing them all, but we'll be curating some of our and your favourites on an occasional basis. Last year, Vol. 1 from 5/25/77 came out on vinyl, and the second release will be Vol. 23, the magnificent show from 1/22/78 in Eugene, OR. This show is dynamite from start to finish, with a few upper-tier Grateful Dead moments from the 1977-1978 period. The unique "Close Encounters" theme and "St. Stephen" are the centrepieces of what is considered one of 1978's best second sets. We have more great Dave's Picks planned for vinyl release, so stay tuned, but for now we hope you'll dig the long-sold-out-on-CD Vol. 23. - David Lemieux

Close encounters in Eugene, Oregon! We are not alone in saying this one could be considered top-of-line Grateful Dead from 1978. Yes, as the tales have been told, 1/22/78 conjured up vibes of the Be-in, Altamont, Yippies, Psychedelia, Woodstock, Free Speech, Acid Trips, heaven for one lucky concert-goer, and of course, aliens. If you wanna know what we're on about, there's no better way to experience the show than with this lovingly-restored version from legendary sound engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson's recordings. Witness sets packed with bright and vibrant gems like a surprisingly heavy "Row Jimmy," a freshly tender "Ship Of Fools," and a transcendental "The Other One." And if you have levitated too far, Jerry's "Close Encounters" solo (ironic, we know) will reel you back in and set you right up for the powerful crescendo of "St. Stephen" and the band's shake-it-all-about boogie-down finale.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Test

• jasong41
    Default Avatar

Well, on the bright side, I don't think anyone can check out so it shouldn't sell out! But yeah, I hear you, definitely wasting alot of time trying to buy this.

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Tried guest check out, tried creating second account, tried normal account (used for DP's sub etc.) and still no joy. Kinda hate wasting my life going round in circles tryng to buy something. But missed previous issue and kicked myself. And been buying on line through Dead next for many many years and...........

• 1stshow70878

Some have had success using guest check out.
    The store requires a different password now than your old one.
    Separate from your rest of the site password.
    Been that way for a while now.
    That said that check out has had gremlins too
    Hard to say. Good luck. Maybe Marye is looking over us?
    Cheers

• jasong41
    Default Avatar

Can't check out either

• daverock

Alan - hopefully it will count that you were at the show as well. I once borrowed a folk singers acoustic in a bar in Ventura, and played Ripple while he chatted up my girlfriend. Some people will steal the clothes off your back. He asked me if I knew any English music. In a word....no.

• Alan Abbey

It was amazing. I was living in Bend, OR, over the mountains from Eugene, where I had been in the UO. I remember driving over the Mackenzie Pass in the snow to get there and back (actually, I don't remember if we drove back; I had a girlfriend in Eugene then. She (1) may have come to the show with me (2) had me spend the night. So sorry I don't remember. It was a long time ago. I do remember parts of the show - Terrapin suite, not generally one of my favorites, was amazing. And I think it was the only time I saw them do Bertha, probably my favorite live Dead song. So, if I can scrape up the bucks, I'm gonna get a copy. Problem: shipping it to Israel, where I live now, will probably cost a fortune. So, I'll look into it. So glad, though, it's been published on vinyl. Maybe someone at Dead HQ could take pity on me and find a way to get it to me for a reasonable amount of money. Does it count that I play acoustic Dead at tribute shows here in Israel. Yes, there is a great Deadhead scene here.

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

The site won't let me buy a copy ???

• Gruuvey With a Piic

Looks like the complete track listing is now updated.

Side H
    Space ->St Stephen

Side I
    Not Fade Away

Side J
    Around and Around
    US Blues

• andoverdeadhead
    Default Avatar

It looks like Sides I and J were inadvertently omitted from the track listing, where the final 2nd set songs NFA > Around and Around and US Blues should fit.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

This 5LP set is strictly limited to 5,000 copies.

As you're likely now aware, we'll be reissuing some of the Dave's Picks releases on vinyl, re-mastered from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman. We won't be releasing them all, but we'll be curating some of our and your favourites on an occasional basis. Last year, Vol. 1 from 5/25/77 came out on vinyl, and the second release will be Vol. 23, the magnificent show from 1/22/78 in Eugene, OR. This show is dynamite from start to finish, with a few upper-tier Grateful Dead moments from the 1977-1978 period. The unique "Close Encounters" theme and "St. Stephen" are the centrepieces of what is considered one of 1978's best second sets. We have more great Dave's Picks planned for vinyl release, so stay tuned, but for now we hope you'll dig the long-sold-out-on-CD Vol. 23. - David Lemieux

Close encounters in Eugene, Oregon! We are not alone in saying this one could be considered top-of-line Grateful Dead from 1978. Yes, as the tales have been told, 1/22/78 conjured up vibes of the Be-in, Altamont, Yippies, Psychedelia, Woodstock, Free Speech, Acid Trips, heaven for one lucky concert-goer, and of course, aliens. If you wanna know what we're on about, there's no better way to experience the show than with this lovingly-restored version from legendary sound engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson's recordings. Witness sets packed with bright and vibrant gems like a surprisingly heavy "Row Jimmy," a freshly tender "Ship Of Fools," and a transcendental "The Other One." And if you have levitated too far, Jerry's "Close Encounters" solo (ironic, we know) will reel you back in and set you right up for the powerful crescendo of "St. Stephen" and the band's shake-it-all-about boogie-down finale.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

Took me awhile to find how to comment - I've had similar quality issues with DP Vol. 23 - every disc sounds like someone walked on it. Side 2 Peggy-O has a blemish that sounds like it would take the diamond off the cantilever.
Quality inspection!
Will take a good look at ordering any additional vinyl. You spend this kind of $$, you should expect a good product. Quite a difference to the 1977-05-07 Boston RSD release.

Tom B.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yeah, these discs are screwed, especially sides 2 and 3 for me. When I asked for a refund all I got was an undeliverable message, BOOOOOO! Got me thinking about future vinyl purchases for sure, this one just.doesn't.cut.it. PM to Marye, our resident hero...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead-1/daves-picks-vol.-23-eugene-or-12278-5lp/081227883157.html