• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

That was fast. Unless the site is having one of its periodic glitches.
Perhaps the big year mentioned by Dave is a holiday and they’re not doing a box set this year. Only joking. He needs to get a better camera so he can share the bird life with us more fully.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

I am not surprised. NY has it's fair share of rabid dead fans. Remember how quick the Giants Box sold out? I bet there are a large number of people there that night that scored this Dave's Picks. Plus, prime 1973.

..and yea, mhammond, dead at 53 but he looked 70. I think VGuy just had a bday and commented he is outliving Jerry this year. Life is precious, play dead.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Madonna shirts and daisy dukes. He was so utterly cool in hippie mode circa '72 . What the heck happened. That man should file a law suit against the 1980s. Last laugh is probably on us - he probably went out with both of them.

I'm a sucker for these Dead t-shirts. They should really just make them a Dave's Picks early bird subscription option. Check off a box and get your t-shirt for 15 bucks. And coffee cups. Regular 'ol coffee cups, 12 bucks with early bird subscription. And daisy dukes - 3 bucks for your souvenir pair of daisy dukes....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

From the Urban Dictionary: "Daisy Dukes" are extremely short, form-fitting, denim cut-off shorts worn by young women.

And Bobby. Oh dear. Didn't he know?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by simonrob

She looked hot in her short shorts.
She can be excluded from any lawsuits filed against the 1980’s.

Sold out.
I’m surprised it took so long.
But why has PNW not sold out? It’s totally worth the price.

53 going on 73. Yeah, Jerry got old fast. Too fast.
And then there’s Bob, who now looks like Jerry but is in better physical shape than a lot of people in their 50’s. Including me. But I do keep saying that I’m going to start exercising…..
Does mowing the lawn count as exercise? Because I’m going to do that today. With a push mower, not a fancy John Deere like Jim has.

I swear by 16 once curls...
Thanks for the song list, happy to see HCSS on there ; )

It blows my mind that PNW hasn’t sold out?

Bobs Shorts; one of the many things the wife doesn’t like about Bob lol.

VGUY; careful bra, don’t go jinxing yourself

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Here it is first of May,
Out door fucking starts today!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Anyone got a good scan of the 2021 bonus disc? Couldn't find one.

Many Mahalos

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

I wasn't too crazy about his choice of guitar, either. He still did more in the decade than I did, though.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

Received my shipping notice early this morning. By mid-morning DaP38 was in my mailbox! Ripping it right now! I'm happy!

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Finally got a shipping notice a few minutes ago – #38 is shipping via the dreaded 'Mail Innovations', so hopefully will arrive by the end of the week??? Whenever it gets here, I'll do the Scan & Tweak Boogie and post a link to Dave's 38 and the 2021 Bonus CD. A kind brother remembered me here at the end of the road, so I've already started to listen. The Bonus CD from 9/7 is absolutely killer – it was on continuous play for two days. As a “Seventies Second Set” kinda guy, I’m now starting to work through Set 1 of 9/8, with my eyes/ears on the prize: Set 2! Onward.

delivery scheduled for Monday and, que sorpresa, its in my PO Box here in the intermountain west when I stopped by at noon. that bonus disc is chock full of goodness. yea Oro really glad to have that Here Comes Sunshine. thanks for the sticker Dave - happy subscriber since Day 1

enjoy the weekend everybody. onward!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I don't understand why they stopped doing Prelude. What's an extra five minutes. Some classic Bobby /Jerry guitar stuff going on.

I just got to Disc 2. I've been enjoying the mix so much that I keep re-listening Disc 1. It sounds extraordinary to me. I can't really hear Keith at all until Eyes of the World. Weir's guitar is about as loud as I've ever heard it. Agree with you Daverock on his later era guitars. I would love to know how Jerry felt about Bobby putting down the Gibson ES guitars. Did he encourage it, did he discourage it? Bobby's sound got thinner and thinner after 1974. In interviews I've heard him say that the post-hiatus two drummer configuration forced him to find a different sound to really have any playing space that wouldn't get drowned out. I guess that makes sense on paper, but I just can't imagine the Gibsons sounding bad. I wonder if Jerry was set on using the Travis Bean and decided Weir's Gibsons were too loud or didn't harmonize well with the TB. In any case this show is a Bobby showcase of sorts and I like what he's up to.

Anyone notice Donna seems lower than usual? I haven't gotten to Playing in the Band yet...we'll see how that goes. She usually comes in kind of high on Weather Report Suite, so it's nice to hear her at a normal level that doesn't overwhelm Bobby's vocals. Someone here once said she never sounded as loud at the shows as she does on the two-track soundboard releases we're accustomed to. Anyway, not complaining, I like Donna, just listening and thinking out loud.

Speaking of aweather Report Suite, I noticed the ending didn't have the "wind down" part they normally play. I need to go back to the Pacific Northwest shows and see if they just hadn't developed it yet (I've never actually listened to the studio version to know for sure).

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

https://i2.wp.com/www.deadheadland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Bob-W…

Think that is from VFTV4.

I remember reading a while back a story about that. Madonna had "created," huh, the style of ripping/cutting the neckline/collar out of shirts in her videos. I dont know the exact timeline, but I think it was kind of a jab at MTV, or an inside joke, maybe for throngs of new fans after touch of gray video. I always took it that Bob was demonstrating that we are huge, and completely underground. We didnt need MTV but we will take indoctrinating a whole new group of heads. I have no idea. Madonna was still "shiny and new." The fellas were old and scruffy.

MY one memory of this is Buckeye lake 1988. Not sure Bobby was wearing a Madonna shirt but he was wearing a shirt with neck cut out. I have written before that I did not particularly like this show, I think it was icecreamcone, that liked it a lot. No problems there. I hated the size of the crowd, easily over 100,000. It was hot and dry as all get out, and a lot of pollen from dry grass being trampled on. But tapes turned out great. Dan actually had no problem with us setting up in front of him because we did not obstruct his view, due to slope of the hill and height of the board tent. Bob comes out with shirt and jorts (daisy dukes), and his new hot pink strat. I really loved the Stranger. The sound was tight, PA excellently mixed. Bob starts wearing out the wammy bar. Nice tight opener. I am indifferent about the pink strat, there is info out there on it being a gift, but I cant remember from whom. I just liked the tone. Bob had been moving to a little more distortion to counter Jerry's progression in effects. Always preferred Bob to be cleaner like hi 70's sound.

Guess what he looked like at Buckeye...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=igftaRYY&id=5FEB2…

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by mhammond12

Who knew smack, base, Chili dogs, and 3 packs of camels a day wasn't health food.
That beats FZ'S Winston's, coffee and unlimited hot dogs.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

DaP 38 + Bonus just got sorted at the regional UPS facility, hopefully will head its way to the Post office In the next few days. Caved in for the shirt just for good measure, I love the artwork on Wake of the Flood and the shirt is a great ohmage to that!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Okay, 38 is sold out.....no real need to talk about anymore. I’m not really a 1973 fan, and frankly we have known what it was going to be since December 2020.
NOW LETS TALK ABOUT THE UPCOMING BOX SET!!!!! My guess is 1980, I mean really it’s time!!! They have done a Box Set(multiple) from every year of the 1970s except 1979.....BRING ON THAT 1980 BOX ALREADY!! I would also guess Dave Pick #39 is from 1982 or 1985 specifically: 9/20/82 or 6/16/85 - BRING ON SOME NEW RELEASE NEWS, not releases we’ve know about since last December....and sorry Skull & Roses 50th is just pathetic amount of additional material.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Nice description of the scene etc. if you were in front of the board we must of seen each other. I had just broken my ankle so was on crutches, just to the right of you (I’m guessing?)
I’ve grown to love that show, at least the first set? But my recollection of that day was clouded by my discomfort (in reality I probably wasn’t feeling much lol), made worse by the weather/venue conditions which you elude to...
But as years go by from the comforts of home, this one has grown on me...
Kinda cool second set opening with the three new songs in a row, and of course this was a big historic Bruce day in GD history.

BOBS GUITARS; sorry, I really dug the “80”s Modulus Guitars Bob played, especially the Black Knife he played in 85 etc,
I dug/dig the ES 335 jazz sound probably the best? Relatively speaking, Not a fan of either of their other Gibsons mostly because they were constantly out of tune! Used to dig the Ibanez more, but that hasn’t suffered time as well. Hit or miss with later years, as he was getting too thin and Marshall/distorty. Not like once in a awhile but much of the time. IMHO he’s gotten worse with it with time. Never was a fan of the overly thin, glassy “Fender” sound...Jimmy H had a little too much of that for my liking. Always felt JGs Strat sound ala 72/73 was the best use of a Fender EVER!
But what I don’t think folks understand was how much the electronics influence the sound, especially in Bobs case, so much of what y’all are describing is due to that as much as the guitars sound...
I know he was always trying to find his own niche sonically as they knew not to just blast away at the same frequencies as the other instruments. Like just the right match of spices and ingredients in a fine stew! So it was often hard for him to carve out his own sonic turf.
Interesting about his comments pertaining to the drums as it always seemed more like he changed due to keyboard technology more than anything....

BOBS rock star fashion line...never could make up my mind weather he was just being a prankster, or wake up late like a drunken frat boy and throw on whatevers less dirty, but still try to be Mick, without spending all day trying to be Mick, like Mick would do lol...
I can see it, Bobs ride to the airport shows up just as he gets home from rugby/beach volleyball whatever, (the vans already there waiting) and Bob runs in a and grabs a duffle bag and starts throwing in a few of whatever’s handy, while still wearing wait he played rugby in lol.
JG on the other hand probably just has under ware and maybe socks, possibly in the briefcase, definitely spends more time on his briefcase lol, and has Steve bye him new pocket tees/undies as needed, leaving them in the hotels as they go!
I did merch on the road with a guy who did that...left with what he was wearing and would hit up Wally World every few days and leave the dirty stuff behind...

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

It's a beautiful release. Discs 2, 3 and the bonus are sublime. Many thanks Dave et al.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Is there no phone number to call now when my shipment goes missing? I got tracking and followed the package all the way up to my local post office on 4/26. Went down there yesterday was told they would have to do investigation. Even though tracking shows the package scanned into the system AT that post office.... It's not there. I went to call customer service today and can't find a number at the store. Is the only way to get help to use that form?

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I think a 1973 May box set is a real possibility, if not this year within the near future. Des Moines, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco, 5/13, 20, 26/73, all killer shows. A nine CD box set, each show would take up 3 cds. Dave even mentioned these shows in his last seaside talk.

user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Keep the faith, I had them Shipping Notice Blues all week but it finally arrived, rather quickly.

And it is fantastic indeed, I have been looking forward to this exact day for a long time.

This show rips.

Here are my cover scans, I couldn't find ones I liked online. I know that JeffSmith and others will be posting better ones soon, but these are for the impatient like me...

DP 38 cover: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdSLUk9PBtLgWM5FA9kyhmrijA5ORvPt/view?…

DP 38 bonus disc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LZ3Hg4MDyHMbOP63qOLRgKxZnWUWdF_g/view?…

By the way, I love the way BTK is thinking about that 73 box set.

....going bonus first because it was a beautiful day today with lots of Sunshine. First ever Let It Grow is very cool. Is this the first Dicks or Dave's featuring a debut? 🤔
Annalee posted about his Dave's arriving soaked. So far, that seems to have been a fluke. Godspeed Annalee.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I think it's a great idea but I don't think any of those shows will fit on just 3 cds. 4 cds each. Fine with me. Epic shows.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

You and I think alike

May 73

Ja gerne

All is good. MaryE got Dr. Rhino on it. I sent in a picture of my water logged Dave’s and I am supposed to get another sent to me.
Really weird, it seemed like the cardboard box holding the sealed CDs was in a puddle for an hour or two before it was put in the mailer. I cleaned up the CDs the best I could and the only disc that plays without skipping is the first set. I listened to the other discs and dealt with the skipping and it was worth it for now, great release, awesome bonus disc. While listening I thought back to all the shows I saw in the rain, tripping balls and having a blast and having wet CDs didn’t seem like a big deal.............presently listening to the summer 71 RT, good stuff

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

If someone gifted Bobby a guitar, my first guess would be Joe Walsh. Seems like I'm always reading about him giving away guitars (Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend).

Vguy - first '73 Bird Song was released on PNW Box Set. Also DaP 30 from 1/2/70 (+ Bonus Disc) has both the last St. Stephen to feature the William Tell section and the first St. Stephen played without it.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

And now for something completely different. I have always used bronner's Castile soap on tour because it works and smells great. I just bought a new bottle and on the label it says 'we support psychedelic-assisted therapies to heal the soul'. Pretty cool.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....look up psychedelic soap.
Annalee. Grate news. Tripping balls listening to "wet CDs". Evens out.
Keithfan. Firsts on Daves/Dicks. Three From The Vault doesn't count.
Watching hockey. Vegas Golden Knights are pretty good.
75% capacity next home game hopefully. Covid made the news move fast.
Game On!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I had to call customer service for Dave's 3 when I patiently waited for a month. After calling it showed up shortly

This puppy sold out in less than 24 hours and with 25k that is pretty impressive. Clearly there is a lot of demand for these releases. I still have the dreaded label created, no tracking..... Hoping for the best.
Zero information in the Seaside Chat regarding this year's box set, other than something to the effect 2021 is going to be a great year. May 1, today, so let's get it going.

How about an August 1, MUATM?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....is nonstop fire.
The Greatest Story Ever Told.
It all rolls into one.
Daves 5 has some competition.
Happy Camper here.
And I'm only at He's Gone

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I am still digesting this cornucopia of music. The bonus disk is just Devine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....Yumm. Probly cost 10 bucks to go.
Editttt. At the twelve minute mark EXACTLY during PITB, they take a dark, sinister turn. That's what I hear anyway.
I search high and lo for this facet.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

For anybody mindful of anniversaries, who hasn't got Dave's 38 yet, listening to 5/2/70 is a good way of whiling away a few hours. Just as 4/28/71 may have been the best show of the 5 man version of the band ( that's 5 plus one, of course), 5/2/70 may have been the best show played by the 6 man 1970 version. Note "may"-diplomacy at work.

Bill the Kid-like that May 1973 box suggestion.

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

Got the shipping notice on 4/26 and it only updated a few times before getting here on 5/1, no big deal but it looks like that's the trend going forward because DP 37 did the same.
Great energy through this whole show! 1st disc highlights for me were Sugaree, Tennessee Jed, and Row Jimmy. Jerry has got a growl going at the end of Row Jimmy, get down row! 2nd and 3rd discs have too many highlights to mention, I think this may be my favorite Dave's Picks so far and I still haven't got to the bonus disc yet!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Daverock, I just happened to get DiP 8 5/2/70 and DiP 23 9/17/72, along with the much lesser known Cowboy sophomore album 5'll Getcha Ten from Real Gone yesterday, and listened to 5/2/70 from Cold Jordan on to the end. Man, what a show! It's been a while since I listened, and I can't recall listening that intently before. Next to last version of Viola Lee, and they ratchet it up to 11, and end appropriately with Bid You Goodnight. Will probably be putting on that Baltimore '72 show for the 39 min Other One> Sing Me Back Home before any movement occurs on my Dave's 38, but looking forward to its arrival...

The Cowboy album is pretty good. Mainly got it because Duane Allman appears on two tracks, one of which, Please Be With Me, is one of the last things he recorded, and some sweet, sweet dobro is on there. Eric Clapton even put a cover of it on his 461 Ocean Boulevard album.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html