• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sadly I never got to see them live. I don't think they ever made it to Europe but I may be wrong. I did get to see the esteemed Mr. Lindley twice, once with the excellent El Rayo-X at The Venue in London and once at a strange gig with four solo guitarists, namely David Lindley, Richard Thompson, Rory Gallagher and Juan Martin. That was at the Dominion Theatre in London in 1984. It was a weird gig that almost worked.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got my copy #11488 today, bonus disc comes with sticker.

@simonrob
Also saw David Lindley two times in the 90th - Hamburg and Kiel
and taped both shows. Hamburg with Wally Ingram and Kiel with Hani Naser,
the tape from Kiel is excellent audience.
And I still have 2x C90 tapes from the acoustic concert at the Dominian Theatre in
London with Gallagher, Lindley, Martin ant Thompson.
As fas as I remember it's a lousy recording. Got it in a trade years ago.
Stay safe and healthy
JJ

Perhaps it's the alarmist in me.. but I took my sticker out of the sleeve with the bonus disc and put it in the sleeve with the liner notes. The last thing I want to see in ten years is opening up the bonus disc and noticing that some of the glue degraded and seeped onto the CD.

A pretty harmless precaution.. if I'm wrong, no harm no foul.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Ready to play in the coming days.

I only saw David Lindley one time, I think with Jackson Browne maybe, in the mid-70s, but I remember he was one of these guys - like Larry Campbell - who could play anything with a string on it, and play it amazingly well!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Keithfan - in the sleeve notes for Dicks Picks 26, referring to the Chicago show on 4/26/69, Bear writes that " We generally did psychedelics on Saturday." Sounds like a plan!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks Daverock, very interesting.
That's less often than I assumed lol. I'm going to guess then, it was psychedelics on Saturdays and weed the rest of the days. I simply can't imagine they went up there completely unaltered. I've read that Pigpen wasn't into psychedelics, but (I've heard) a little weed after a drink or two (I've heard) makes for a nice all-over buzz, no paranoia. I wonder if that was his bag.....

I put my Bonus sticker right on the fridge. No harm but definitely a foul. Sometimes I just plain behave like a bachelor first and deal with the aftermath as needed.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Nappy, I'm so jealous you saw Danny Kirwin and Christine Perfect in San Diego. I am so in awe of both of them. Any memories?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

From the original May 1977 Box Set, I went with today's anniversary show, St. Paul, MN. I'm up to Sugaree. I always listened to this one and 5/17 the most from this Box Set. The Scarlet / Fire is probably in my top 5 (as is 5/17). Whole show has a lot of cowbell. The SNL cowbell. But I'm sure Mickey has some literally cowbell in here somewhere. Looking forward to the whole Wharf/ Space / UJB / Brokedown Palace.

That Sugaree's a set closer, right? Listen for the pre-breakout (5/19) China Doll notes from Phil before Wharf Rat.

Lot's of stickers and magnets on mine. Sometimes it feels like I never quite graduated from college. Which is fine with me.

@daverock
very funny, pissing in the wind, in France we have a similar saying, "pissing in a violin"; meaning is you won't change any event, like the way the wind blows!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Doc came, preached The April '71, and then disappeared. Poof - just like that he's gone. I suspect we won't hear musical tales of that magnificence again until October.

Sixtus, good to see you're always out there. Speaking of always out there, Icecrmcnkd hasn't been "as" around as usual. I think he's been sucked into the Bonus Disc vortex.

Daverock, I've been pondering the words of Freewheelin' Frank...I guess he means you don't feel the weed after several drinks. So.... (I've heard) the trick is to have only one or two drinks....which means Pigpen probably only smoked at breakfast :D God bless him, he was one of us.

Jim, I'm on the same page. I feel like I've been in suspended animation since college - not always a bad thing; youthful shenanigans make for a lot of household laughter. I was mildly surprised by the ruckus I caused with the fridge sticker. It's bringing home the sorority girls that usually raises the alarm.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I believe what Frank is trying to teach is not to get drunk THEN get stoned as that can lead to bad things.
So make sure you get good and stoned boys and girls before you start drinking! 😀

NOTE: This service add was paid for by doggies against dumb drunks

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Arrived yesterday, finished the ripping process this morning.

Has Phil's bass EVER had anymore knobs on it??? A couple more knobs and the strings wouldn't have fit!!!

I like the sticker, thought about sticking it on my work locker, but, wasn't sure if set would "lose" value without the sticker!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got email from Real Gone today about a Bob Willis collection. Sounded great. If you like the Bob, check it out. Didn't know about volume 1 so had to buy 1 and 2. :-),,,, no rest for my wife's money.

....David Grisman is doing an AMA on the Grateful Dead subreddit on May 21st which is my birthday as well. Thanks Dawg!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

there are a couple of May 71 dates

5/29 "Acid Punch"
5/30

I gotta check out 5/29 again....I recall it being good-n-weird...it IS referred to as Acid Punch, after all

thennnnnnn

6/21/71

7/2
7/31

August........................................

RnR Hall of Fame

JayZ is not rock n roll
The GoGo's

THE GOGO'S??????????????????????????????????????

But no Motorhead????????

W
T
F

no X, no Joy Division, no Smiths, no Bad Brains, no NEW YORK FUCKING DOLLS, no Husker Du....

As the Sex Pistols said, the RnR HoF "is a piss stain"

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by sheik yerbones

Sheik Yerbones - also, in France a dandelion is known as pissenlit (translation, piss in bed).

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In Dutch a woodlouse is known as a pissebed.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Well, my copy did even more yo-yo-ing around the country than usual this time. Got it yesterday. Listening now, and well worth the wait!!!. . . Here’re links to my corrected scans of Helen Rebecchi Kennedy’s covers – hope some of you still need ‘em. Thanks to Jack Baller, PKB et al who posted art earlier! If you're interested, mine are probably a little higher res and maybe closer color-wise. Check 'em out. And be sure to pass around as needed.

Dave’s 38 & Bonus Covers: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yx2532a3jyvuh3n/AAAJbH8t4zC5bfmZRWC8xfa8a?dl…

All Dave’s & Bonus Covers: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl…

Onward

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I’m always lurking.
But with spring weather I’m outside more too, so less time surfing the internets.

Thanks for the scans Jeff.

Dave, your Box Set announcement is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy past due.
Load us up with some more Plangentized/Normanized ABCD scores.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'm not really keeping track but delivery less than 2 weeks after the shipping notice arrived, has to be a new record for me. I wonder if having Dave living around Victoria has anything to do with faster delivery to the PNW?

screw 'em...it should've been The Runaways not the Goo Goo Foo Foo Go Go's...anyways...Dennis are you spying on me? Just got my Bob Wills Tiffany Transcriptions Vol 2 in the mail a few days ago...Ahaaa!!! Nitecat, The Mac were one of my top five faves from the Peter Green days and even up to Bob Welch...they played a lot of LA gigs both as headliners and support...sad about Kirwan though...a few times he was incrediblely on fire...others he was too drunk to play or even give a damn which of course led to his being kicked out of the band...The "Kiln House" LP was a fave and Station Man and Tell Me All The Things You Do were always a gas to hear....some day I'll tell you my Jeremy Spencer story...SimonRob glad to hear you saw Lindley at that gig...His El Rayo-X gigs were always a blast...for one great weekend at Laguna Seca in Monterey it was El Rayo-X, Los Lobos & Grateful Dead...some stuff...

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Mucho thanks Jeff for the DaP covers...awesome

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

might be also seen in the little town of Pissen in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Anyone ever seen a woodcock in proximity to a pissenlit? I was fortunate to observe a woodcock strutting across the road near a forested area about a year or so back. It's lucky that it didn't get run over by a passing car. Because there's nothing sadder than a smushed woodcock. Have a Grateful Day all :-)

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Maybe just a close eye. You always mention these "older" people, I count on hearing about stuff here. Speaking of the older stuff,,,, we have a new kid at the store, worked with her for the first time last night. She told me Nat King Cole is a relative!!! Uncle? Related somehow. I was blown away, I know no one famous, certainly not related.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Jeff - Thanks for the covers, your timing was propitious! (It was Word of the Day on an elevator screen!). Seriously, I was burning 38 & bonus yesterday, and could not find a good copy of the Bonus cover. Gracias¡

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by billy the kid

I had a girlfriend whose father called her "Crisco". ....... Fat in the Can. Great dad, huh? :-)

Jeff - interesting looking at all those covers of Dave's Picks., thanks for that. But it surprised me how unfamiliar I was with a lot of them. I have got them all ( fingers crossed about Dave's 38), but I wouldn't have known it from looking at that post. In fact I went up to check I had number 12, and I have - 4/11/77, but I've no idea what it's like. There must be quite a few up there, in the post 1974 era, I have only played the once.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I'm sorry, this is possibly inappropriate, but three words must be said:

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Now that Bluetooth joke IS funny! I’m ashamed to say I had to read it twice.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

If every band that ever had a hit or two gets into the R&R Hall of Fame it becomes irrelevant.

user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

In reply to by Thin

I'm pretty sure it's always been irrelevant ;)

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

I visited there two times over the years and liked it just fine (was visiting relatives in Pittsburgh and made the trek to Cleveland)

but I give up now. what a joke. what a travesty.

the GoGos....GOOD GRIEF.

Go listen to Motorhead "Overkill" album right now to understand true rock 'n roll

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html