• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Carlo, if I had a nickel for every time I thought I heard the show starting, only to find out it was someone's car stereo in the parking lot, well, I could afford 3/10 of 1% of a Dead & Co. ticket. :)

Just last weekend I was at someone's patio party, and they had hooked up a sound system outside for dancing later (all attendees have been vaccinated), and at some point when the music had run out, I went over and cued up all kinds of ABBA; they're always a crowd-pleaser, and definitely one of my guilty pleasures, kind of like a feminine KISS.

I haven't made it to the show from the 8th yet, but thought that the bonus material from the 7th was really top-notch.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

9/30/76

7/17/82

Listen to those without looking at the setlists

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....I would pay top dollar for that double bill. Seriously.
Vegas kicking some Wild ass.
Scored a PS5 and Vegas Phish tix yesterday on my birthday.
Looking for the Golden Knights to complete my circle around the sun trifecta.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Nice list of birthday shows.... culminating with a hometown show.

05/21/74- Edmundson Pavilion - Seattle, WA
05/21/77- Lakeland Civic Center - Lakeland, FL
05/21/82- Greek Theater, University Of California - Berkeley, CA
05/21/92- Cal Expo Amphitheater - Sacramento, CA
05/21/93- Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA
05/21/95- Sam Boyd Silver Bowl - Las Vegas, NV

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Agree.. one celebrates what will become and the other reflects on what was.

These tours are very different yet very well matched.

I saw B.B.King live 4-5 times between about 1983 and 1990. The first time was one of the best gigs I have ever seen. I knew who he was, and had heard a couple of his 1970s albums, but nothing prepared me for the power and presence he had live. I was sitting right at the front, and was transfixed. Everyone I went with after that first occasion was similarly impressed. Apart from the guitar playing, singing and songs he seemed so warm and well meaning as a person. One of the best.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

Thats pretty decisive in hockey, eh?

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

a few songs into that one

Several hours later...

Great, great, great show.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

As usual a day late and a dollar short.

JUST found this guy,,, like his sound and was VERY surprised I have none in The Collection.

Any huge fans out there that have everything and might want to do some horse trading?

Hit me up.

Thanks

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Dennis

As regards BB King, I first saw him in 1969 when he opened for the Stones...also on the bill was Terry Reid and Ike & Tina Turner...two shows on 11-08-69 (my 19th Birthday BTW) at The Forum in Inglewood...I know every one raves (and rightly so) about "Live At The Regal" but my fave is "Live In Japan" done in '71....BB was a STINGING guitar player and had the best voice going...The last time I saw him was at a festival in Sedona AZ he headlined...even sitting in a chair he rocked the joint

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

RFK 73

Box it, please, Dave.

May 73

Box it, please, Dave.

Fwiw...I have it on good authority (my own)...

The box announcement will occur on 6 8 21

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

49 years. Bobby's greeting to the crowd at the first of four nights at the Lyceum. And then Jerry and Billy rip into one of the best Promised Lands. And it's Dark Star night.

Happy birthday Vguy!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

than taking the dog out to go to the bathroom with a 4-1 lead, only to return minutes later to find the game tied. The Oilers suck.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I could have been worse..

For example if you had stayed to watch them tie it up, point by point absorbing more pent up aggravation.. and the dog noticing you had given up on him and could wait no longer.. finally relieving himself with much shame on the Persian carpet in the hallway. That would have been worse.

So at least the dog is happy.

Edit: ...or watched them until they lost without walking the dog. I'm with proudfoot on this one. I have my sports and my favorite teams.. it's great when they win but I try hard not to get too invested in it anymore. I remember Elaine's boyfriend on Seinfeld (Puddy??).. the one that painted his face and chest for each game. Just try not to be that person and all is good with the world, especially when they win.

This week in May has a lot of good memories for me...from a weekend at The Shrine Expo Hall in LA with the Dead, Steve Miller and Taj Mahal in'68 to the following year and attending the Santa Clara Pop Festival...I was spoiled...the best was on the third day of the Festival...Chuck Berry opened the show and Jimi closed...pretty much said it all to me at the time and it still does...The sad part of course is that from the group of five of us who drove up the coast (in a VW bug of course) from LA to San Jose only two of us are still around to annoy each other...Around that time was also the beginning of fun and games with the SSS and the government in general for the next couple of years...haha fooled you bureaucratic nitwits, I'm still here...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Nappy - yes, that is a great BB King live album. It has a lot more guitar playing on than is usually the case with his albums. Another good one is Blues Is King, from 1966 - although the cd I have of it doesn't sound too good. That must be one of the all time legendary tours, when you saw him with The Stones, Ike and Tina and Terry Reid.
I've seen Terry Reid live, too-superb singer. Apparently Jimmy Page's first choice for vocalist with Led Zeppelin.

I've been breaking in Dave's 38. I can't say its the best release from 1973 I've ever heard. In fact, apart from the fact that Dick Latvala told him it was a good show, it's hard to figure why he chose this show over other September 1973 ones. The following ones in Williamsburg look much more interesting. We get what we are given.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

THE greatest songwriter ever. Have a great one, Bob, and I hope, many more.

AJS - I don’t think the Samsonite Business Elite could fold as quickly and efficiently as your Oilers did last night. For all those who picked Connor McDavid in their playoff pools…

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

5/24/72 - night two of the Lyceum run, but more notably, the anniversary of Pigpen's last Lovelight. It's my favorite. They streamline it down to a smooth 12 minutes that includes some Allman-like jamming, which was par for the course for Lovelight by '72; but unlike its two counterpart versions from the tour, they get into that great 'doot-doot-doo' melody at10:05. Pigpen's improvised lyrics over this quiet drumless guitar / bass melody are some of the best. Nothing about refrigerator repair men or pocket ball or legs-up-against the-wall. This one is....ahem....closer to the heart. Don't have that E72 show? No problem - it's on Rockin' the Rhein as well (bonus track). To Pigpen.

play Swans' Public Castration is a Good Idea at FULL volume

That lame-ass final play of Seahawks v (that football team in the northeastern region of this wacko nation)....just give the ball to Marshawn. "No, let's pass in tight quarters."

the Mariners got no-hit twice within two weeks or something...and have lost 20 in a row (wait, only 6 or 7)

Sports: BE GONE!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by carlo13

right on dude, no worries - no pressure! Its a fun little course and provides for some excellent outdoor time, super casual. At your leisure! Shoot me a PM if you wish.

Oro - kiss your radio - don't think about, just DO IT!

And there is ALWAYS the possibility for the First Annual Hilltop Disc Golf Tourney, complte with a blaring GD soundtrack outside with multi-beverage stop offs and the like. A fine idea!

KF, glad you found that 6/6/70 jam to be something special. It is pretty hot, they cover a ton of ground in that one.

Enjoy Your Week People
Sixtus

At least I was not there to witness it. I would have thrown the remote through the TV screen. What's even worse, before I went upstairs to put the dog to bed, I told my daughter that while I was gone, the Oilers would lose. Then I hear my youngest yell, "the blue team scored." Damn dog.

Reminds me of the 2013 Leafs game 7 collapse against Boston. All those fans partying out there on Yonge Street thinking they are going on to the next round. 4-1 lead with 10 minutes to go in the game. Exact same outcome.

Sir James - the dog already took care of ruining our Persian rug. No need to wait around for that. Less than a month after we got her, I stepped in something warm and squishy with just my socks on. Looking down, I noticed two big piles. Thanks for that little puppy dog.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

About the Leafs big (and frequent) collapse. Now I have to cover all the mirrors in the hose again.

Just think Proudfoot - you will have the Kraken joining the NHL next season, and like most expansion teams (Vegas, excepted), you may be calling them the Krapen before too long.

For the golfer/disc golfers:

A golf club walks into a local bar and asks the barman for a pint of beer.
The barman refuses to serve him.
"Why not," asks the golf club.
"You'll be driving later," replies the bartender.

A Minster, Priest and Rabbi walk into a bar...
The bartender looks up and says "Is this some kind of joke?"

Glad to help out.

I actually like the Leafs. I've worn a Leafs jersey my entire adult life playing pick-up scrub hockey. In fact, we made the trip up to Maple Leaf Garden in 1993 when they played Gretzky and the L.A. Kings for the right to go to the Cup finals. Tickets were going for $900, so we went across the street to the local pub and partied it up with the locals. Great time.

However, as a long time Red Sox fan, I've learned how to deal with adversity in sports. Better to laugh it off. Like the Red Sox and Cubs, you will have your day in the sun. So hang in there. Until then, just remember the reason why the hockey Hall of Fame is in Toronto is so you guys can see the Stanley Cup.

Good luck against the Habs. I'll jump on board once the Oilers are eliminated tonight.

This is Canadaland's year.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

It could be our year here. I’ll miss the Leaf jokes, though. There’s always the Blue Jays or the Craptors, I guess…

Last one, honest:
An Irishman, Englishman and Scotsman go into a pub and each order a pint of Guinness.
Just as the bartender hands them over, three flies buzz down and one lands in each of the pints.
The Englishman looks disgusted, pushes his pint away and demands another pint.
The Scotsman picks out the fly, shrugs, and takes a long swallow.
The Irishman reaches in to the glass, pinches the fly between his fingers and shakes him while yelling, "Spit it out, ya bastard! Spit it out!"

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

https://www.homethreads.com/products/rugs/safavieh-rugs/blg535m-blue-pi…

Found it while shopping for items for a bathroom remodel.

Here in MN, we all understand that other than the long-passed history of the Vikings in the four Super Bowls and the two Twins World Series victories, the teams will never win. Except the Lynx, who won a LOT not too long ago . . .

Ha, yer all a bunch of whiney rookies when it comes to losing! Lol
Try 4 super bowl losses, IN A ROW! and 2 Stanley Cups, one stolen!, and countless other championship games lost, or more accurately, handed over!
But hey, at least the Dead always played good there; )

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

No need to tell me. Went to every Sabres game in the ‘99 conference finals against the Leafs and every Cup finals game against the Stars. We were 15 rows off the ice, right in front of where Brett Hull scored the “winning” goal while in the crease. It still hurts.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....Tom Brady sux. That is all.
And if you are wondering why I think that, click my personal info page. Self explanatory.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

That Mike, some good jokes lately. I forget exactly what you said with the Jeff Norman joke but it was perfect timing. Something like I don't want to hear any trouble out of you.

KeithFan, I'm embarrassed to admit this but I usually skip over Turn on Your Lovelight. I just can't take a half hour! Even 20 minutes is a little rough. But I never like to ignore a strong recommendation from "the reguars" and you are absolutely balls on accurate about Rocking The Rhein. I never was able to get my hands on a copy of 5/24, but thankfully Dave put it on Rhein. I only know a few Allman songs, Jessica and everything from the Fillmore East box set. I hear the similarities in style. That is a great section in Lovelight at 10:05. I must have played it 10 ttimes!

Sorry you guys are having hockey woes. Cubs fan here. Long time Cubs fan.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I have an odd way of listening to Lovelight. I usually get into the first 5 minutes and the fast forward to the last 5 minutes. By the way Keithfan, I am familiar with the "doot-doot-doo" part. It's hit or miss whether they play it, going back to even the 60s renditions. Therefore I am not surprised they skipped it a couple of time on the Europe tour. What did surprise me was they only played it 3x. I don't know that box set as well as I thought. If you asked me before today I would have said Pig alternated it with Good Lovin'. Shows you what I know (but I do have the original vinyl pressing of Europe '72). I listened to the 5/24 rendition per your instructions and it's a great through and through. Never again will I FF a 1972 Lovelight. Their jam approach is much different than previous years and I ask myself who was influencing who.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

That was the point of the Lovelight post, correct me if I'm wrong KF. A lot of us find it tedious just like you Proudfoot, but this one's different because it's shorter and has a sweet spot, and jams differently. Check it out

So on day two of the festival Jefferson Airplane were the headliner...but since hippies can't do shit right as far as orginization goes the show ran way way over...The Airplane had been on for about 20 minutes when the show went past curfew and the cops pulled the plug on it...the band and the crowd were pretty upset. a minor squabble broke out in front of the stage but overall not too bad and we all filed out...there was an athletic field next to the venue and people were allowed to camp there...back at our spot we partied with others until it was time to crash....a few hours later just before sunrise we were woken by loud noises coming from the baseball field...we went to investigate and there was a large flat bed truck with equipment set up on it and generators firing up for power and the frickin' Airplane did a show for us from the flatbed...amazing...one of the coolest things I ever witnessed...nearly 27 years later I was introduced to Jack Cassidy backstage at the first Furthur Tour stop in Phoenix...My pal that introduced me mentioned to Jack about that show and how I had been in attendence...he laughed and said that doing that gig was one of the nuttiest things they ever did...

As much as I loved Pig and seeing Lovelight live I can understand folks not being able to deal with the lenghty raps he laid on the crwod...but have you folks ever heard the edited version from Live Dead? It first appeared on an annual Warner Bros/Reprise Sampler that was usually a double LP and sold for like $2...each edition would have tunes from the label's roster and an edited seven minute version of Lovelight was included on the one titled "The Big Ball" from 1970....If I'm not mistaken the label ended up using that seven minute version on Skeletons From The Closet too...here's a good article on the Big Ball release
https://www.newdirectionsinmusic.com/warner-bros-loss-leader-series-the…

I have a soft spot for them all. They, well to me at least.., are all very special.
But that's just me. Bickershaw is my favorite.. it just jams nonstop.. the transitional piece from Hundred Year Hall is really special, so I love that one too.. almost as much as Bickershaw. ..and I loved 5/25 on today's listen. I do not think any from the tour suffered from excessive rapping/noodling. They were powerful and went places without any wasted time.

I do get what people are saying, but I don't really hear it in April and May 1972.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I saw Bobby Blue Bland close out the S.F. Blues Festival one year with Lovelight, it was really cool.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

My favourites are from Europe 1972, too. The one on Hundred Year Hall is the one I am most familiar with - great feel to it.
My least favourite are the ones that go on past the 15 minute mark-same goes for Good Lovin', for that matter. I like the idea of listening to the first and last 5 minutes of the 1969-1971 versions of Lovelight !
It was probably very different if you were hearing them live in the hall, as they were unfolding. As I've said before, there is a massive difference between what makes a great live concert and what makes a great recording of a live concert.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Did you know, Don Robey, one of the “reputed” authors of “Turn On Your Love Light”, had a very shady reputation, and often published music he stole from writers, using the pseudonym DEADRIC Malone…
Truth is stranger than fiction.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html