• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Not that many years ago (4?), a friend and I went down to the local arena with cash in hand to try to get in to see Stevie Wonder. I thought we would have an easy time of it, but we didn't. Once in a while we would get offered one, but we held out for two. At some point, someone from a church that had won/purchased a bunch of tickets hands us one, saying, "Someone didn't show up--enjoy." We weren't going to leave the other behind, so at some point I say to my friend, "Follow me." The show is about 20 minutes in, and we walk up to the turnstile. I say to the 20-year old watching that entrance, "I'm going to hand you this ticket and $60 cash, and my friend and I are going to walk in and never speak of this again." He gets indignant. I try again, but this guy really isn't budging. He finally tells me that he is not allowed to do any such thing, so my friend and I go hand the ticket to one of the guys who had been hanging out with us trying to snag a ticket, then go to the cool bar near the arena and drink Sazerac for a while.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…………….

May 29, 1971
Winterland, San Francisco, California

Casey Jones-Me And Bobby McGee-It Hurts Me Too-Promised Land-Loser-Playin' In The Band-Hard To Handle-Me And My Uncle-Truckin'>drums>The Other One>Wharf Rat-Sing Me Back Home-Cumberland Blues-Sugar Magnolia-Deal-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Over the years, there has been some disagreement over the true dates of the May 1971 shows and the setlists. Deadbase AND the Dead’s own website list them as the 29th and 30th. While there is some dispute from eyewitnesses, for now I think I’ll go with what the Dead themselves claim.

Apparently the acid flowed like water, described as a mini-acid test by some, creating psychic problems for others. The music itself is fairly straightforward, hard rocking, mid-1971 Dead, no bells & whistles, and probably not enough greasy Pigpen………..

A poor-to-fair audience recording of the complete show circulates. There are fades/edits at the beginning and ends of virtually every individual song. There are no audible between-song banters or set break announcements. A soundboard recording (Miller remaster) of Truckin’ through the end of the show does circulate. Not first tier, or even second, but still worth a listen………..

For excellent documentation/discussion of the show, see: http://deadsources.blogspot.com/2012/07/may-29-1971-winterland.html

Rock on!!!

Doc
The moment a musician doesn't play, things start to get a bit rusty……

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Time for the Ark Box: April 1969....

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!!

I still vote for Fall 72 Texas box, but that's just me........

Rock on!!

Doc
I perhaps ought to say that individually I never was much interested in the Texas question.............

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

please Dave?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by musicnow

If yer going Ark, why not add Avalon’s? THAT would make a hellava box.

Ok, only Leafs/Habs left in first....Leafs better just get this over with!
Awesome comeback the other night, it’s a shame they couldn’t pull it off.
I don’t think I’d be messing with that funky T town mojo, best get er done!

Mañana, the big Vegas/AVs matchup, woo-hoo, should be some top shelf hockey eh!
Whatever happens, just so the refs don’t fug it up. That BS last year still festers...

Bruins/Isles, go Isles, give that old barn (and the illegal cop operation below) a fitting fair well, besides, I bet a majority of folks hate the Bruins only slightly less than the Tommy pats ; )

Canes/Lightning, go canes, I guess? Used to like TB but sick of some of the same old teams mucking things up. Though it’s hard to root for the Canes after they lucked out against the Sabres in 2006, but their hot and they’d be a nice change.

Hopefully the Leafs will get past the Habs and then the Jets...

Ok, need to start getting ready

Back bacon ✔️
Bla-doors ✔️
Horts: coffee and donuts ✔️
Lucky tuke ✔️

Hot girls on skates.....?
Ok, still have some work to do!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

April 1969, 6 shows, all real good. Hard to Handle is kind of a train wreck, the Dead were just breaking it in, but the rest of the music is a knockout. Death Don't Don't Have No Mercy from the Avalon, is right up there with the best versions.. It's bbq, beer, and music time, have a great long weekend everybody.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

It would be great if the posts on here had an influence on future releases - Avalon/Ark 1969 or Texas 1972 would be right up my tree. Unfortunately, I would be very surprised if either of them are featured. But I hope one of them is.

Incidentally, they seem to have forgotten to put any weed killer in with the gardening club. As Tom Waits sang-"You can drive out nature with a pitch fork / But it always comes roaring back again."

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Daverock wrote: if the posts on here had an influence on future releases ....

Exactly...crackin me up!

Haha! As they say “SCORES!”

I’ll be welding shut all access to my TV room tonight so as to prevent my wife visiting to fill me in on any subject BUT the game tonight. The dog doesn’t say much, so he can stay!
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do…

How nice would a 2021 Edition box set be for those down times between playoff series…

Has any one ever noticed that at the 40:22 mark of the 12/6/73 Dark Star, Kieth, after playing some cool shit in general, breaks into what to my ears sounds like the chorus to none other than MJ’s BEAT IT for about 8 seconds, and then moves on?
So what you say? Well, that song wasn’t released until 1982! Same 12 notes over and over indeed!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

May 30. 1971
Winterland, San Francisco, California

Set 1: Bertha-Me And Bobby McGee-The Rub-Loser-Playing In The Band-Next Time You See Me-Morning Dew-Promised Land-Good Lovin'

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Sugar Magnolia-Cumberland Blues-Big Boss Man-Me And My Uncle-Deal-Truckin'-Turn On Your Love Light-Uncle John's Band-Casey Jones

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Sonically similar to May 29, yet oddly different enough as well. Rare Rub, unusual late first set Dew, crankin’ Good Lovin’ to close the first set, nice China/Rider to open the second set, rappin’ Lovelight. Not a lot of big jams, decent dose of grease, not the worst and not the best……

A poor to fair audience recording circulates, for completists only. Miller’s circulating soundboard copy has a portion of Know You Rider, and the remainder of the second set, but without the encore. Most of the second set and encore was released on vinyl LP in conjunction with Record Store Day in November 2012.

Rock on!!!

Doc
Personally I have no bone to pick with graveyards

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQJC2FIM38. This sounds great! This show would make for a great 1969 release. This show and the previous nights show in San Bernadino, were written about in the August 1969 issue of Rollling Stone, Garcia is on the cover of the issue. It's a very cool story, if you haven't read it, check it out. Time for bbq day 2.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I’m not hearing MJ in that Dark Star either. Maybe a little “Moon River”, but no MJ…

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by That Mike

Sorry to say but I can't pick myself out of that pic you posted...where I think I should be is just too small to figure out...oh well and thanks for the pic, some stuff!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

what kind of weed killer would be on the dead site? I can't see weed killer....Killer weed maybe but weed killer?
back in the day when I was a landscaper, we had crack weeds, now if you did not know what crack weeds were, you had to ask the question....I have heard of weed and I have heard of crack, but what is crack weed? as the name implies, crack weeds are weeds that grow out of cracks, not smokable, but fun to say.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by unkle sam

I swear it wasn’t (just) the drugs!
On archive version it starts at 40:13, cd version 40:22, it’s really brief, but it’s there!
Not the actual beat it part, like a measure or two in the song before that, the iconic lick...

Cheese and rice, rooting for the Leafs is as bad as rooting for the Sabres lol
Another great comeback but couldn’t git er done, again!
@#$&***ing Carey Price, the man is possessed!
I’m getting a baaaaaaddddd feelin...

Ok, tonight’s the night...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RTGjVvQPVWg

I offer the best of luck to my esteemed colleague from the great state of Nevada.
What ever happens, hopefully it’s clean,
primo Hockey at its best!
May the best team win, and may the refs not fug it up!
ONWARD!

NAPPY: yeah that’s a lot of freaks eh?
I’ve always dug that photo.
Must of been a cool scene fo sho!

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

Hi y'all. I have an older Rotel CD player that decodes HDCD and has an indicator light when it is detected (a unit which I purchased almost entirely to accommodate all the Dead releases in my collection...). I noticed that my Bonus Disc for Vol.38 is not encoded with HDCD and was wondering if anyone else can verify whether or not theirs is. I am probably going to contact Dead.net Customer Service about this but, given their response times, I expect it will be a while before I hear back.

....bad news. It's shattered. First glass came in bubble wrap. This glass came with paper "padding". Really?? Fuck off dead.net.
I'm pissed off now.
To those that ordered this, I wish you the best possible outcome.
Inexcusable.
YOU DO REALIZE YOU'RE SHIPPING GLASS, RIGHT!!!! ITS NOT FUCKIN ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!
AVATAR CHANGED ACCORDINGLY. I RARELY GO ALL CAPS, BUT HERE I AM!!
THANKS FOR RUINING MY DAY! SIT ON THIS WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF PACKAGING!
🖕
For every hit the Golden Knights put on Colorado tonight, I will forward them to dead.net. I'll gladly accept a boarding call for the greater good.
Now, how do I get my money back.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5AiSBzv8fk. The great Charlie Nusslewhite, better then ever. He just put out a new CD with Elvin Bishop that is fantastic. Daverock, I'm sending this out to you, and the great country of England, I wish you were here today drinking beer , bbq, and digging the Blues & Dead. Come to Calif and we will have high time.

The shipping of your collector glass doth sucketh. I’m sorry to hear it. I’ll bet some hip granny is opening up her “SHALL WE GROW ARTISAN APRON” (!!) from dead.net, wondering why her unbreakable apron is wrapped like an Egyptian mummy such that a surface-to-air missile couldn’t damage it.

Lousy job, dead.net. Make this right, and Do Better.

Oro - I started last night’s game with a pretty good head of hair, but by the end, pure Uncle Fester. Damn you, Leafs!! Get off my lawn!! (Shaking fist)

PS - Somebody on the site put a plug for the new Dickey Betts “Bootleg Vol 1” - good call, it is a fine sounding collection!

Billy- thanks for the compliment-that's very kind. That would be quite something, to pop over to California. I have only been once, 31 years ago - such a beautiful place. Great harmonica playing by Charlie Musselwhite too.

I watched the blu ray of "The Rolling Thunder Review" last night-Martin Scorsese's documentary of Bob Dylan's rag tag and bobtail tour across America in 1975. Its quite an experience - Allen Ginsberg and Patti Smith also featured. What intrigued me was the Blues For Allah sticker-"The Fiddler" by Phillp Garris - on Scarlet Rivera's violin. She is asked about it, but disappointingly doesn't reference The Dead in her reply.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that these Dead & Company tickets are obscenely overpriced?

Vguy. Yeah, tough day for you. We all knew the Avs were good. McKinnon is crazy fast.

Mike. I’m counting on our Leafs tonight. Don’t let me down. I’ve been a fan for almost a week now.

I took look at VGuys new Avatar and realized he must have taken my advice and got bigger speakers.

For everyone celebrating Memorial Day.. have a grateful day.. Many thanks to all here.

Back to your regularly scheduled The Eleven.

Edit: Yes, D&C tickets are priced way out there. It's too bad.. send the kids to college or catch a few shows this summer... mmmmm

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Proudfoot, although I'm flattered at your suggestion if Dave retires, the man for the job would be GOGD. He is very well wriitin and spoken, and his knowledge and passion for the Grateful Dead is way beyond mine. But thanks anyway, time for bbq #3.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

AJS you are not the only one who thinks that. Trying to make up the loss of income from no shows last year? I wonder how much longer they are going to milk it. Bobby said he was going to go until he was 75, then see how he felt. Billy and Mickey are all ready 75.....how much is enough I wonder. I guess that as long as they can sell tickets, they will play.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I’ve been following these Leafs for nearly three score (pun intended), and they have let me down more times than dead.net shipping. When they last won it all in 1967, the Dead pulled in to town a few months later for a week with the Jefferson Airplane for “Bill Graham presents "The San Francisco Scene in Toronto"”. New Potato Caboose was one of the highlights of the Dead’s sets that week.

A lot of water under the bridge since then. However, I’ll be watching.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

he just stumbles and hops, Just out of prison on six dollars bail, mumbin bitches and a wagging his tail. Cole this one's for you, I.wish you were here drinking beer right now, I miss you..

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

but how pricey are dnc tix?

$200 a piece before all the add ons?

Phuqdat.

You got to be crazy
You gotta have a real need

That $ will buy a whole lotta refreshments you can enjoy while listening to your GD collection

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I got really great seats both nights at Mansfield under the pavilion and the one in Hartford for about 120$ + fees. What isn't an overpriced rip-off these days? And with only one pandemic to live through, I could use the excuse to get out and spend some money. Lawn seats friends have bought are even cheaper.

Lawn seats in Mansfield are $51.50 right now, standard pavilion seats are $82.50. Maybe look it up first and buy a ticket? :)

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Like most here, I will not pay $200.00 to see anyone who has not recently risen from the grave. It was beyond astounding to me that my first post-Covid show was my favorite living musician Bill Frisell, in my favorite(trio) format.
What a blessing. Tix were $45.00, and I probably would have paid more. I have tickets to 4 other shows this year(so far, with $75.00 being the highest price). It is up to each individual how much they are willing to pay(obviously), but some of these prices seem to be aimed at people who have way more dollars than sense. No real harm intended. There are folks who $1,000.00 for a night out won’t make them blink, and God bless those folks. For the rest of us, we can only hope for many live releases to come(I still haven’t figured out why EVERY band doesn’t release copious amounts of live music).
Blessings to all, and keep that music coming, because, as we all know: Music Is The Best!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I remember tix to the big acts in late 60s, early 70s going for about the price of a 1 ounce 'lid' (<$10). I got D&Co 'lawn' tickets for Dallas and both Denver shows for $75 + 20 apiece. Coulda been better, coulda been worse. The 'VIP' packages are another story. . . Both of these venues hold 15-17,000. 'GA Lawn' is no further from the stage than the back of 'GA Pit' at larger arenas. For me the big kick in the seat is the 8 hour drive to Dallas, and later a three hour drive to El Paso for a Southwest flight to Denver. Onward.

I will miss May, but time marches on

later this month...S&R release wih 7/2/71 material

and maybe...just maybe...box announcement

still not a robot, bitches

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Late yesterday afternoon, one of the pictures in our study fell from the wall, landed on a coaxial cable behind the credenza and disabled our internet. I took that as a sign from above that the evening was doomed.

What a pathetic showing. Nothing more needs to be said.

I'll back the Jets now, but I don't see anyone stopping the Avs.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

First.. BTK, out of prison on six dollars bail. I might have been listening to the Alligator from 5/24/69 when you posted that. Love that lyric.. it paints a story, certainly a work of fiction but if bail ever was $6 (and I am sure in some cases it was) think of the people the could not afford it an ended up breaking up rocks for the great highway to pass the time while locked up. If that doesn't capture a part of depression era Americana.. I don't know what does.

As for tickets.. yes, it is what it is. I am seeing at least one show anyway.. but I got lawn which is unlike me. As for a lid of grass costs ten bucks.. by the time I came of age, a two finger dime bag was the standard (1/4 oz for $10). It was not uncommon to find seeds and stems, they would not disappear for a few years yet. My how times have changed. How does the saying go, two steps forward, one step back (strike that, reverse it).

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

He was watching the sad sack Leafs. Talk about folding like a Coleman starter tent on Everest. My son texted me this morning to say that game deprogrammed him for good, no longer part of the Leaf cult.

I won’t count out Vegas or Boston, but Colorado looks unbeatable.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html