• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

I think I went to a Dead show, and a hockey game broke out......

I saw the Russians vs Bruins, think it was 72, man those guys could skate!

Hockey rockey on!

Doc
The greatest hockey player who ever lived: Bobby Orr, and I love him......

user picture

Member for

7 years

I am playing this at a little beer party and some are saying they have never had this tape and are asking to get them the cd. Unfortunately I just cant lend it because it is like the trader tapes of old. Now you see it, and now you don't. I did tell them to subscribe. That's the best I could do.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

In reply to by carlo13

Two cool shows from the Fillmore West, 6/7/69 & 6/7/70, both would make great releases.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

You should go to more games. The GKs look good. The series could easily be 3-1 in your favor.

The Habs? Who knew?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Vguy, ya picked a hell of a game to go to!
That first period was amazing, then...not sure what happened?
I don’t like what I’m feelin, my dog sense is all weird, think I need to start barking!

And what about those Habs!
Who’d a thunk it?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....going around and round. Maaaan, that much fun should be illegal. My ears are still ringing. I'm hungover, but I don't care. Place was electric. Go Knights Go!!!

VGuy - You saw a “barn burner”, and a FULL house, to boot. For Toronto’s final game (tear drop), they allowed 500 health care workers in! A nice gesture, but after 24/7 Covid work, it might as well have been 5,000 Nuns,
these folks were too pooped to party.
Regardless, it must feel nice to be back among the “peeps” again, and what a game!!

Oro/Angry Jack - I may have to consider seppuku if the lackey running dogs Habs get to the semi-finals. At least the Isles laid a beating on the Bruins…

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

or to us, the Habs

MIKE: careful with that Samurai Sydney....
So if the Habs make it to the finals, and I rooted for em, would you still be my neighbor (cue Fred Rogers)

HENDRIX FREAK: good to see your still out kicking ass!

son's catalytic converter (the cheap replacement one) got stolen AGAIN.

and today the district's internet connection has taken 7 quaaludes and gone for a swim in a vat of molasses.

grr...

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I have none. Other than Price, the Habs aren't that good. They had the lowest regular season point total of any team in the playoffs.

My only thought is that the hockey gods are exacting revenge on the Jets for Scheifele's Dale Hunter like hit on Evans. Gotta love it when guys like that whine about their suspension and the "abuse" their families are taking after the fact. Hey Dickwad, it's all on you. Suck it up and deal with it. Evans is out indefinitely because you behaved like a total jackass.

Let's go Isles.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I only played hockey about twice, back in the 1970s. The best thing about it, as I recall, was tripping people up who were better than me with that stick. Actually ,tripping people up who are better than you is quite a rewarding thing to do in any field of activity.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

No problem Oro, if you cheer for the Habs. But around here, it is a definite Hatfield-McCoy thing with them.

Jack - Agree 110% on Scheiffle. He deserves more. It’s funny you mention Dirty Dale Hunter - I knew a bunch of guys that played high level hockey, and a friend of a workmate got a training camp tryout with the Quebec Nordiques, before they moved to Colorado, and Hunter was on the team. Buddy attends camp, had no idea who Hunter was, but thought the best way to get noticed was to take a run at someone. So buddy takes a run at Hunter. Needless to say, about ten less teeth later, he got cut. Sometimes brains and sports don’t mix!

Unrelated, but my Workingman Dead t-shirt is fading like it was printed with chalk, and I’ve worn it maybe a dozen times!! WTF!? Mickey Hart is kinda Ickey Har now. Yet my Egypt 78 shirt keeps going and going. Dear Quality Control…

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It seems different shirts have different styles and print "thickness". My shirts have been great. Halloween (ugh I forget what year- all orange and black with candles); June 1976 yellow and green tie die; PNW greyish tie die with a great print; and DaP 30 black with front cover of yikes bonus disc or the regular release, I forget. All good though after many washes.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I voiced a little frustration on the subject a few weeks ago. Most are cheaply made, quite thin and have sizing and other seemingly third world issues like they got them from the chicklet kids in Tijuana. My Anthem 50th t shirt is so paper thin I don't wear it if I think it's going to rain. I still sometimes buy them but they are honestly some of the poorest quality t-shirts I own. Well.. they are organic, but that's all I see they have going for them.

I would say up the quality and charge a couple more dollars but they are not cheap to begin with. A few years back someone must have said, charge a couple extra dollars and shop for cheaper materials so now they are boxed into a corner. I buy less than I would if they were decent.. so they make more per unit but are likely selling less units.

They need to be made from thicker or more substantial cotton for one, start there. Some of the more recent ones are a little better.. perhaps find a decent vendor and stick with them instead of playing disappearing ink or wet t-shirt roulette by using different vendors with different types of stock/blanks/thickness/ink/etc.

My two cents.

Edit: For what it's worth, the folks at the Jerry site seem to source their shirts from the same chicklet kids. The electric at the eel shirt is seemingly made from milled cotton that is magically just a single atom in thickness. A feat that was previously thought to be a scientific impossibility.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I got the Egypt 78 tee when Rockin The Cradle was released at least a dozen years ago, and this is truly Built To Last. My Stealie shirts have well done graphics, and PNW looks like it just came out of the box. Most have held up well for working or wearing, but I think Workingman’s is going to be a car buffer soon.

Hang in there Isles - you got this! Bruins doth sucketh!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

PM's seem to magically work now whereas an hour ago they hummed and puked. I think they are working on the interface. It should improve with time.

Now back to t-shirts that will not ruin our run for Senate should it rain and they get wet. First world problems, I know.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Now I know you do things a little differently over the pond. For example, you call egg chasing football whereas some people over here call it rugby (or rugger if you're posh)......and hockey, when i was growing up, was mostly played by girls, on muddy pitches with hockey sticks and cricket (weird game where in it's purest form you mostly end up with a draw after 5 days) balls whereas over there the main purpose appears to be battering the f**k out of each other while playing on an ice rink. Now then, I heard on the radio last night that in Washington DC they're offering a 'joint for jab' system whereas over here i've given a thousand or so covid jabs and.......i think i'll just have a little lie down and turn the sounds up....Dick's 7 of course.....while i await the postie to deliver the film version of Oliver Sachs 'The Last Hippie'. OK...... back to your regular scheduled programming about T shirts and stuff.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Washing their t-shirts! That is asking for trouble. We never did that back in the day.

I concur with DocMarty about sports. At school boys played football or rugby in the winter and cricket in the summer whilst girls played hockey or netball (which is apparently a bit like static basketball). As for playing hockey on ice, or polo in a swimming pool for that matter, I can accept that but I can't see it catching on.

It appears that the site has reverted to the version that we were all used to up until a week ago or thereabouts. It has been said that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This was more a question of if it don't need fixing, break it. When will they ever learn?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

We also used to have to do what they called "cross country " running in our school. This entailed jogging round some of the roughest back streets of Oldham. Jogging?...sprinting more like. Knowing some form of self defence was essential.

I bought a few Dead tee shirts around 1990, when the Dead came to England. They seem to be pretty good quality, too - I still have them. Enormous sizes I seem to buy. Either that was all that was available, fashions have changed or I have shrunk.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

They must have paid the Bitcoin ransom to the Russian hackers.

Just in time for today’s Box announcement.
Hint, hint Dave. Bring it on.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

back in the day t shirts were made heavy, thick, 100% cotton and they used name bands, fruit of the loom, haines, beefy, the list goes on. Today, they are made in China, super thin, crappy graphics and don't have the colors, or trippy designs that they used to have. I just purchased some t shirts from liquid blue, a fine brand, used to be, now, no tag which to me is a sign of a thin made in china shirt. They were all very thin, good graphics, only one had a real tag and it was made in USA. I have dead shirts from the 80's that have wear, but are still wearable and look good. And I have worn the crap out of them.
Just goes to show, you don't never know......let the buyer beware.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

The mighty Phil Lesh makes a rare appearance in Asheville, NC with son Grahams' band Midnight North. After checking the set list, I see they did one Grateful Dead tune.
So it looks like the first show I will attend this year will be the same band that I saw just before covid shut down the world. Live Dead is making an appearance this summer back at the same venue I saw them at in March 2020. Last time there were maybe 20 people there, I think there will be a few more there this time. Tom Constanten is still in the band and I am looking forward to some 68-70 dead tunes.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I mean really this has been so lame around here for new releases since like December 2020, IMHO!!! How long can they wait to announce the 2021 BOX SET!?!? .....Last year they announced that '76 box in February! Are they seriously holding out on the 2021 BOX news until the Skull & Roses 50th anniversary set is officially released?!?! Has anyone really taken a look at the Skull & roses 50th release- IT'S SO BAD compared to the other other 50th anniversary releases so far.....the "bonus disc" literally has nothing new, and lots of repeats from the original release- WTF?!?! Please get that out of the way so we can get the 2021 BOX SET info out already......hell, at this point there should be some whispers from the bozo guy about what Dave's Pick #39 is for goodness sake?!?!?!?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That website demo was like a bad trip. I'm glad we're Back To Normal. I no longer type off the end of the page into cyber space. Tricksy Hobbits.

Well we're at the anniversary of one of the most popular out of print box sets. I had a good portion of the 6/7/77 show yesterday. I've always dug this Scarlet Begonias with its mesmerizing longer-than-usual opening bit. Also has a pretty good transitional jam from 7:00 - 10:00 mark. This version of Peggy-o went up a few notches yesterday. The piano during Jerry's solo is some intense stuff. Peggy-o is one of my favorite ballads, along with Brokedown Palace, which is on today's show.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Washington and Arizona giving joints out if you get a covid vax, sure, now they do it. If every state gave out joints for shots, we would be at 70% fully vaxed in no time. Hey Deadnet, if you were to give out joints, I bet you could sell a lot more of that made in Taiwan stuff :)

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

47 years ago today I was down at El Camino Park in Palo Alto, to see a show with Garcia & Saunders, Weir & Kingfish, and the Rowan brothers., what a cool scene. My brothers friend , Jake Pierre, did the poster for the event. In less then one week , we would be at Winterland for the return of the Dead.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just received my Grateful Dead gardeners’ t-shirt today (made in Honduras) and it’s really rather good. Great graphic and much thicker than usual. I ordered 2XL as I’ve had XL recently which my new baby great nephew would have trouble slipping into and boy is this one big! It’s white which means it’s probably best not to wear it when actually gardening.

Rough Trade (U.K.) are selling Paris 1972 vinyl edition for a penny under £110 this Saturday. Any left after Record Store in person visits are on sale online at 6 pm. Not sure about splashing out for this as I already have the CD. It’d be interesting to see if they have a booklet with liner notes and photos.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by unkle sam

I've already been vaccinated seven or eight times, and then I read your post. Well, what's the harm in one more.

kidding of course, happily vaccinated just once but don't tempt me so Washington State!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

putting up a barrier against Covid was motivation enough back in March

I wonder if Gov Inslee would still give me a "reward"...

prolly not

on another note: go listen to Motorhead's version of Whiplash

you'll be glad you did

audio caffeine

"never stop
never quit
we are Motorhead"

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Organic???

Wasn't cotton organic???

I'm cutting down on the tee shirt buying. I have more than anyone need and half have become work shirts. Biggest thing though is I read an article recently that talk about how these "cheap" tee shirts are filling landfills and becoming a new environmental problem. ........ so I really don't need anymore for now :-)

Jim, I like to see your woodwork. Question,,,, once milled is it cherry anymore?

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Joints?

I've been traveling around getting shots wherever they're giving "stuff" away. I've gotten several gift cards from states and vendors, a load of free Applebee's meals, a chance to win a new Harley, a chance to win an old Harley, a case of Colt 45 (they were giving these away in inner cities) and if I was just 1 minute sooner I could have scored a Grateful Dead Hatchet! Damnit, back to plan 2.

BTW - Jim when did you say you were going out to canoe?

BTW 2 - Just to mention, Got sent a 2019 show of String Cheese, looks like they did just 1 song , Rosie. It's 75 minutes long!!! Must be up there with the "longest" song.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Was it jacked up,
Or was it Jack Strawed.

Kind of like that 90s bumper sticker,
“Is it Dead or is it Live”.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Damn! You and I were at a lot of the same bay area shows! I was at 6/8/75 El Camino Park also, and I think somewhere I have a tape of the show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

Strawed.
Definitely Jack Strawed.
Definitely Wapner.

6-tus

p.s. comfy website format = happy spot

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Dennis

The 75 min Rosie, a single song set. An almost unique thing, even in the jamband world. Apart from that one at Electric Forest by String Cheese, the only other single song set I know of is one that Phil says the Dead played during their strip club run, where they played 5 45-50 min sets a night, and one night, they did In the Midnight Hour for a full 45 min set. Phish has done at least one 2 song set, and their longest single song was the 58 min Runaway Jim 11/29/97, and the Disco Biscuits jammed an improvised soundtrack to SpeedRacer for NYE 1999, a 2 hr jam called Akira Jam, but that, too, ended up going into a second song. The other contender for longest single song would be an unknown Jam that the Allman Brothers did as the final encore on 6/26/71 at the Fillmore East, the night BEFORE they closed down the legendary venue with a 75 min set that was pretty good. The mediocre performance of the finale may be attributed to the goings on of that night before, which was the ultimate show moment for Butch Trucks and other members of the band who said when they had played all their songs, and encored with a big Mountain Jam, the audience wanted more, and they came back and did a 2 hour jam that kept going past dawn. When they finished, nobody applauded, they just shuffled out silently everyone mesmerized by the event, with Duane remarking of the solemn departees, "Goddamn, it's like leaving church." And wouldn't you know, there is no recording of that special night. Here's a first hand account of that night, including a great picture he took from the 5th row.
https://duaneallman.com/the-night-they-closed-the-fillmore-down/

moe. is a band that plays really long, but my buddy who's seen them like 40 times seems to think that they can hit 30-40 min quite often, he doesn't recall knowing any hour long excursions on one song. Possibly worth noting String Cheese had never hit 40 min on one song before that Rosie. They've got maybe 25 30+ min jams in 25 years of recordings and 2,000 shows, but will do completely segued sets fairly regularly. And they will open with a 20 min song more than any band I know, but usually they've segued by the time a half hour has rolled around.

The long 30-45 min jam periods of the Dead's career is a neat thing to delve into. Apart from that 45 min Midnight Hour, and a 32 min one 9/3/67 on Fallout From the Phil Zone, not too many known 30 min jams. Not many circulating versions of Viola Lee Blues, either. Dark Star and The Other One weren't regularly approaching 20 min (let alone 30) until '69, and Lovelight would be the big 30-40 min performance. Then Europe '72, and Dark Star and The Other One started hitting 30 min (and now even 40) with regularity until the end of 1974, which was largely the end of the 30 min single song jam. After 1976 even 20 min would be seldom breached by one contained song and jam before a segue. But now with Dead and Co a Black Peter will only *feel* like 40 min.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Keithfan, you did me a solid once and replaced my disc 2 from Dave's Picks 8 after I scratched mine and the Fire On The Mountain skipped. Except the title in itunes wasn't Dave's Picks 8, it was "Back To Normal with the Grateful Dead". Now I read you describing the Website as "Back to Normal" after first describing it as an acid trip. I have theory that you went to the Dave's 8 show, tripped, possibly for the first time, and were relieved you returned "back to normal". Am I close?

Thanks for the great read on the Allman’s last night at the Fillmore. What a show that would have been. I recently picked up Dickey Betts’ Official Bootleg Vol 1 - excellent! - and as the knee bone is connected to the shin bone, out came the Allman’s box set “Trouble No More” for a few spins. A great, great jam band, that boasted some remarkable guitarists.

The Boston Bruins still suck

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html