• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Hmmmm I guess you don't have to be a fanatic to make good art for fanatics:

"Favorite Dead Era/Years:

Hard to say but as an MTV kid it’s probably the 80’s.

Desert Island Dead

I’d probably grab one of their greatest of albums.

Being A Dead Head Means…

Being a skeleton and listening to cool music."

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for posting that, it's the first time I've seen it. Very amusing....I guess the interview went something like this:

Rhino: Can you draw skeletons?
Artist: Yes

Rhino: Hmmm. Okay we'll get back to you next week and let you know.

Arist: I can make them Tie-dyed with Coat-tails and Top-hats if you want.

Rhino: You're hired.

Unless it was Samuel L Jackson conducting the interview, in which case the last line would have been: "well shit, mother f*****! That's all you had to say!"

Bolo, hang in there buddy, my condolences.

....what comes around, goes around. Trade for all the Santa Barbara reels the following night? If so, you've peaked my interest.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

….is that they pre-announce the releases for the first half of the year. So there will be no surprises until mid July.

I would almost rather not know what the releases are going to be. Once that new box smell wears off and we get discs that don't skip, the adventure is 85% over.

I guess it's a good opportunity to hit the archive.

Happy weekend all..

With 2 announcements out of the way we’re perfectly set up for a February Box announcement.

But seriously folks, we need an additional avenue of releases established. Something to fill in the gaps while we wait for the 4 yearly DaPs and occasional Box. Time to resurrect the From The Vault series and start throwing a few bones to SpaceBro, and the rest of us who want all eras released (as long as they sound good).

Condolences Señor Bolo.
May the Force be with you and your family.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Yeah, what the kid said. More releases. More eras!
Like Kayak guy used to say, more series with different levels or tiers depending on quality etc.

Jim: kinda like Xmass, all about the anticipation.
Once the presents are unwrapped it’s mostly over.
Oh sure you dig your knew stuff and have new tunes/toys to play with,
but the big rush is before and up to the big reveal ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, I couldn't agree with you all that we need more, but I am not sure Rhino will be putting out more than the 4 Dave's and the Annual Box. They seem to be content with this mode. And everything they do now is limited edition pre-order.
I wish they would bring back unlimited stand alone releases like Live at the Cow Palace, To Terrapin, Trucking up to Buffalo, etc. Europe 72 single shows. Those days seem to be gone.

Sure would love a February box release announcement, but it might not be till June like last year. Hope I am wrong.

Mixed bag Jim, another bad thing about the big reveal is everyone plays the shit out the copy they have, so wow factor is lower. There are times when the "official release" is only marginally better, because the boards have been bounced around forever, may hurt sales a bit, but maybe a little "honestly" on their part. Seems there are always the voices they say, "I won't buy UNLESS I know".

But whole heartily agree with more releases, how about a Dave's every two months. Maybe this shit takes a long time to do and can't hammer them out faster? Maybe a new vein of download shows, that are of lesser quality. Would that vein's leader have to clear shows with Dave?

Maybe remaining Dead members and family want a steady income stream for their heirs. Certainly their right.

In the end, the archive is there.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Heeeeeyyyy yaaaaaa

got a b u n c h of GD from my source recently.

listening to 7/1/66

Dancin' reprise gets cut a little short

oh well

then here come some surprise tracks...Jerry on banjo and buddies...1964 era stuff

nice surprise

mo' Dave's!

FW Feb 70 box set

many of the tracks I have heard have splices or are cut, however.

hey, we have _s_o_m_e_ of it.

36.5 years into the LST and there are still pleasant surprises and gems to be discovered.

GOD BLESS THE GRATEFUL DEAD

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Four Dave's a year, plus bonus disc ('scrip is the only way to go) and a box or two seems absolutely perfect. Some of the boxes are less affordable than others... I hate for hardcore heads to not be able to afford all of this. For me, it slakes my thirst, I mean I have many, many thousands of songs in my library and I listen to an average minimum of 3 to 4 hours of Dead 365 days a year - on weekends easily much more. On a good Saturday at home these tunes could run from 6 am to 1am the next day. If I get a bad jones to buy something, there's always tons of random bootlegs, radio broadcasts, etc. to be found on amazon, eBay, etc. Not to mention the plethora of Dead & Co. live releases... I think Rhino sticks to their proven model and we all live happily ever after.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by LedDed

I wonder if they will all cycle back around eventually, only a few at one time though. As an example, right now you can pick up Closing of Winterland but maybe when that sells out they'll bring back Cow Palace.

Or, some of it might be tied into unspoken agreements made with Apple to have them handle the downloads for the time being.

....guess not. Must have been the acid.
https://youtu.be/miCDPzJHvjk
....her look at 5:37 is the look. The same look I've looked when I couldn't explain something I was seeing/feeling/experiencing. All these years later, I still can't explain it. The Beatles "I'm Looking Through You" takes on a whole new meaning, when one sees that she's looking through the interviewer.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Older yes,
Wiser....????
Not if you’re on the Homer Simpson ‘Kill your brain with beer’ plan. But I digress.
Wait, where was I?

Watching the Disco Biscuits on youtube, which is a band that I never paid attention to before, but had heard of years ago. My first impression is: Phish meets Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.
I’ll keep watching....

But I first must pass the reCRAPTCHA exam of buses driving over fire hydrants on crosswalks while ignoring traffic lights....

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DaveStrang

There's also the Record Store Day album to look forward to. I am expecting the 2/28/69 Fillmore West show to be released on vinyl sometime soon. I think I read somewhere that the whole run was going to be released on vinyl-which can't come soon enough!

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

I'm down with that. Groundbreaking performances recorded using the best recording technologies for live music available at the time.

as a bonus.. they have my favorite GD album covers and shine in the larger format. Classic GD miles removed from cartoonish skeletons and skulls with Smurf-like beards. Classic.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Personally I like and agree with idea of more releases. I have been able to catch up on many that I did not have and now I sit fairly complete with what I want. Of course more is never a bad thing, but more of what? I do think that the model of 4 Dave's per year (with a bonus disc) and a box is good. Someone else already said this but it would be cool if they would release unlimited (so to speak) single shows. Maybe one or two per year? They could focus on these releases as being ones that are less popular or desirable. Now I am not saying these are going to be bad shows, just ones that are not readily sought after. For me I so desperately want a release of 1/24/71 for example, how about that? Or they could flp the model and do the highly desirable and popular shows as special one-off releases. Great examples of that that have been done already are 8/27/72, 5/8/77, 7/8/78,3/29/90. I would like to see the Dave's PIcks series be the main conduit to which we get great sounding, complete shows that have a degree of variety. I think that is what has happened to date.

Or another way to go about the single one off releases would be to produce partial shows. I know Dave is always talking about shows where they only have so many reels in the vault. If any show is not going to be complete due to missing reels then that would be one should to see the light of day. It may never be complete so why hold back on a release of it? It would be similar to a taper's section release except only parts of the show is being releases because that is all they have. I mean the filler for o. 20 form Santa Barbara is going to be a great treat. It will fir on great on this release but say for example that wasn't the case. It would still be great if it was able to be put out there for all, even though it is only a few songs.

Anyway this is all just fun ideas and talk. Good times in any case.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

This might sound like a daft thing to ask but can anyone tell me why is it that you can get pretty much everything on iTunes but the daves picks series ( dicks picks / road trips / all of Europe 72 and nearly all of the one offs )
I would love to hear some of the early Dave stuff but unless I remortgage the house and buy them on eBay I’ve no chance .
Any thoughts ?

Just gave it a spin, very nice.
Ready for the rest of the FW 69 shows to come out on vinyl.

Now going with 6-29-76, in solid state micro SDXC card form.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....not possible Mr. Cat. Spotify is your friend though. All the recent Dead & Co releases are up and running. Im not an Apple fan, so my knowledge may be lacking in certain fields.

...I’m in love with this set list, wish I had a computer...

XL Center, Hartford, CT (11/22/17)
1. Iko, Iko
2. Shakedown Street
3. They Love Each Other
4. Loose Lucy
5. Friend Of The Devil
6. Bird Song
7. Estimated Prophet
8. Eyes Of The World
9. China Doll
10. The Other One
11. Drums
12. Space
13. Spanish Jam
14. Black Peter
15. Uncle John's Band
16. U.S. Blues
17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Is it still available at normal price anywhere?

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Trainwrecked

They seem to have some for $85 + shipping on eBay. Honestly.. I would have thought it would be higher by now.

I forget what they were when first released..

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by MDJim

$70.05 on Amazon.

I paid $80 or more on release day (and I’m not even a robot).

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Do robots get discounts? A strong sign we going to lose the fight against AI.

In the leadup to the swing, I couldn't help but heed the call from those here re: Cow Palace 12/31/76. So I gave it a spin last week as a precursor to very next show played, 2/26/77 The Swing. I had forgotten what a great show that was and the stunning multi-track recording makes this a rare gem.. The recording and mix were so clear I got side tracked and fixated on the vocals during my last listen.

The Help on the Way>Slipknot!>NFA>Morning Dew is stupendous. Regarding the Dew, with the exception of 1972, I think this version might have the cleanest, best recorded vocals of the bunch. I would also contend the vocals were a bit stronger in this version then any of the four played in Europe.. the song was simply more mature by then and Jerry had not started is vocal decline.. yet.

But it got me thinking.

We have 30 Dave's Picks either released or announced. Of these, we have 9 Dark Stars appearing on 8 Dave's Picks (DaP 6 had two). Two of these appear only on bonus discs (6 and 10). We only have two Morning Dews appearing on Dave's Picks (DaP 5 and DaP 13. 13 has both a Dark Star>Morning Dew).

Some history, Dark Star was played 231 times, first played I think in the studio on 11/14/67, last played on 3/30/94. Most of these were in the early years and they took many breaks from the song, some extended. Between October '74 and October '89, it was only played a handful of times with a 4 year and a 5 year absence.

Morning Dew was played 257 times, first played at the Human Bee In on 1/14/67 and last played on 6/21/95. It was played at least once a year with the exception of 1975. I wouldn't call it a rarity, but it really wasn't played that often. To me, it seemed they saved it for special occasions or rotated it just when they needed it most.

So it seems we are due a few Morning Dew's. If we go back a year one might say the same thing about Help>Slipknot!>Franklins Tower, and blammo.. we get three in a row. 2019 into 2020 might very well be Dew heavy.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

more releases? with skips and scratches? no thanks, get the manufacturing part right and then release more, I'm down with that for sure. 85.00 for one record? wow, you guys really are fans.

Well.. it's pressed on four 180 gram discs and they are not printing 100,000 at a time. This is more or less what these 4 disc vinyl reproductions cost, and the quality is quite high. I just looked at a bunch of vinyl albums on Amazon, trying to stay away from secondary sellers.. I am not finding a single 180 gram album for under $20. Seeing as this is a four disc album, and is available only on the secondary market.. I am surprised we are seeing them for under $80 ($20 a disc).

If you are going to bash shoddy quality, low-end manufacturing with defects (something I agree with you on), then it seems contrary that you also bash a clearly higher quality approach even if it costs a few dollars more. I have not heard a single complaint about skipping or quality of these vinyl re-issues.

I don't know.. this seems like much better value than dinner for two at Outback.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I put this one on last night. Bertha has some static / distortion. I was listening on an mp3 rip of the tune, and my original CDs are stowed away. Just wondering if anyone else recalls an issue like this on the opener, Bertha?

Come on shipping notice, get here get here get here.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

That's a reasonable price for 180 gram vinyl, 4 discs. I didn't think to look on eBay because I assumed the prices would be so over-inflated that I wouldn't be interested. If they're going to be selling all 4, how can I not, right?

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by stoltzfus

well.. the complete recordings (4 shows 10 cds) is listed for $900 on eBay, used. I think I paid something like $100 in 2005 and the bonus disc came free.

https://www.ebay.com/i/333014665513?chn=ps

Not sure if they will get that much, but it adds some perspective. There is a listing for just the bonus disc for $450. I think I am going to start selling bridges.. wish me luck.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The comments about ebay listing prices for FW 69 Complete Recordings got me curious, so I checked the sold listings and there is a huge variation. The lowest prices were $99.49 for a set rated "very good" and $100 for a set rated "like new". At the other end of the spectrum, there was a set rated "new (other)" sold for $850 and a few sets that sold for $699 each. There were a number of sets sold with intermediate values in the $400-600 range, give or take. Seems like they can reliably be had for a few hundred dollars, and occasionally someone gets lucky and pays close to the original cost of the set, kind of an argument for patience.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Charlie3

I didn't even know how to see what items sold for.. didn't even know you could do that... so I did the same thing.

The $99 one sold in a little more than 8 minutes after being listed, and was a couple months ago. The rest seem to be in the mid-range. ..so patient but quick to pull the trigger if you want it under $400 to $500.

Interesting.. I am admittedly an eBay novice.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by MDJim

the prices for individual shows y'all are citing...never.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Delayed release this year? Every other year I’ve subscribed, a shipment notice is received on the 23rd or 24th of the month, like clockwork. This year... it’s the 28th and I’ve received no such notice. Hmmmm

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

85 bucks is actually pretty cheap for for vinyl LPS, 180 gram vinyl. Every place I look for vinyl these days, it's either 25 or $30 for a single vinyl LP. 85 seems comparatively cheap.

There's a really solid Terrapin Station on Dick's Picks 29. Most of them from 77 or pretty solid. How many Terrapin fans out there. How many would put Terrapin Station in their top 10 desert island Grateful Dead songs? It would be borderline for me. Nah, as much as I like it I could come up with 10 others.

Dennis, thanks for the feedback on the Bertha from May 77. I may have to dig up my CD. What I am hearing is actual distorted guitar on Jerry side. The kind of distortion you get when you turn the recording level up to high. It's kind of fuzzy.

Edit - just listened again. The distortion is from 3:00 - 4:00 mainly on Keith's piano.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html