• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

My favourite era for The Beatles, hands down is also the psychedelic era, which I think of as being from 1965-1967. This would include all the singles in this time span, plus Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sergeant Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and the new tracks they recorded for Yellow Submarine.

I also like the early singles, which still have an incredible rush to them. But The White Album has always sounded a bit disjointed to me. Definitely some good tracks in there, but a massive come down from the previous three or four albums. Same with Abbey Road and Let it Be. Up to Sergeant Pepper, it seemed-and this is a retrospective judgement-as though they led the world in pop music. But as 1968 dug its heal in, and rock music took over from pop, they became just another band-nothing they recorded from that year on could compare with contemporaneous recordings by The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Who...or The Dead, for that matter.

Must be in the air, when downstairs yesterday and Billy Budd was on! Didn't want to be depressed so I didn't watch.

... that video made me smile too!
Smiling is healthy, everyone should smile some more especially when the going gets tough!
#4037 landed this morning as well as a nice gift from a friend I’ve met on this very Grateful Dead board... it’s feels like Christmas all over again, I can’t help myself but I keep on “smile smile smile” -ing!!! Thank you guys.
The audio/mix on Daves Picks #29 is Primo!
Every member shines on this release in my opinion !!! Rock on my brothers & sisters, have a grateful day ! : )

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Still waiting for my DaP 29 😾😾😾
I’m sure us UK heads will be smiling soon .
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Dennis 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

I found the Dead after Jerry died and have loved the music ever since. I never traded tapes and bought all of Dick’s picks and most of Dave’s picks. This concert 2/26/77 is just blowing me away ! My God I’m loving the thought I get to hear the original recording and man does it sound good !

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

No it doesn’t get much better than that, and speaking of Promised Land, I love the tease of St. Stephen coming out of Promised Land and into eyes on this one...too bad they didn’t get the 4th reel from 2/27 which I suspect contained the St. Stephen from that show. Oh well, at least they got the Dew, which I think someone already commented is “mind blowing”!!!

Beatles: never got into them but I expanded my vinyl collection today with Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, and Magic Mystery Tour....don’t think I’ve ever listened to any of them straight through but Dave Rock, KeithFan & MDJimcan’t be wrong so should be good times!

They don’t charge admission here, but it sure is expensive....Hope everyone is enjoying this release, and it sounds like it so far. No disc skipping here.....just music, sweet sweet music.....rock on my Dead friends!

...of Beatles albums you bought Casey. I wouldn't want to be without Rubber Soul, though. Its got two of Lennon's best ever songs on, "In My Life" and "Girl", as well as "Norwegian Wood", "Nowhere Man"-lots of great songs in fact.

Another one I liked by The Beatles was a compilation put together by George Martin that came out about 10 years ago, called "Love". Tracks from all points of their career segue into each other in surprising ways-beautiful opening with "Because" sung unaccompanied. It might not seem like much, in the telling, but it works really well.

No Dave Picks yet here in England-but that's alright. As soon as it looks like it will never arrive...it does.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Shit, I forgot that one...there goes another $20! It’s an obsession, but man is it pleasin!

Also picked up Rolling Stones Exile on Main St. The Stones are another band that I have largely ignored over the years. This is only the 2nd Stones album I’ve ever purchased, and I think the first was a greatest hits compilation. I think the reason for my ignorance towards The Stones and also The Beatles is mostly a generational thing. By the time I was born these bands were already towards the downturn of their commercial popularity, and they seemed very “main stream” to me growing up. Guess I was looking for something more cutting edge....

Got my copy of Dicks 36 from Real Gone (but ordered through eBay seller). I was surprised that it was packaged in plastic jewel case as opposed to the soft cardboard like Dave’s? I thought I had read from someone on here that the Real Gone copies were in the soft packs? Doesn’t really make a difference to me but thought I would mention it.

So now you know my next 5....good timing too. I’ve been hearing rumors of boomers in town........but first another ride on The Swing!

Happy Sunday Funday to you all!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Generally I'm the guy who says a release isn't heads and shoulders over what I have, but the 3 bonus tracks are FAR superior to the ones I have. Wish the rest of that show was there.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

She is singing with Jerry again. I remember the time I saw JGB with both her and Jackie in attendance, the show didn't start until after midnight and ended around 3 am, they played Dark Star that night and it was pretty magical. Such a soulful voice.

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Fun hearing some people revisit The Beatles.

Picked up their Mono releases several years ago. They're quite stunning. Mastered from the original analogues and on the original pressing equipment. It's like hearing them all again for the first time, and they come to life in monophonic sound. If there are any vinyl collectors out there, I can't recommend these reissues highly enough. If you can find them for retail price, grab them as they are gaining value on the secondary market quickly. Avoid the new stereo reissues as they are digitally sourced.

Listening to For Sale right now. Love this underrated record as it has a very nice country feel to it.

Highly recommend diving into the new White Album set too. The Esher Demos are quite awesome as are the abundance of outtakes. White Album in mono is also a lot fun, and quite different from the versions we all have ingrained in our head.

Most Millennial and iGen kids will never understand The Beatles.

An aside, I've only heard the Terrapin from the new release and it sounds amazing.

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

BEATLES: I cant imagine life without all of the studio releases. I have the monos & stereos on vinyl. Kimda like the Dead in that I can always find albums to match my mood or situation.

SWING: One of the first Betty Boards I obtained in the 80s when the trove hit the trading market. The digitized bersions on the archives was a strong improvememt over my original third gen casette. This Normanized CD is THE BOMB - aside from the “new” somgs debuted to make it an historic show, the band was outstanding in nearly every way. This new mix comfirms my owm subjective opinion that this was one of the better 77 Playins.

Looking forward to #30 already!

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by kevjones

I used to have the vinyl reissues of the US Capitol Records releases, the ones with purple labels, several had the green labels and 1 or 2 were the original black labels with the "rainbow" ring. The 1968 white album, Abbey Road, & Let It Be were the original Apple/Capitol green apple labels with Let It Be had a red apple label.
I got rid of them not long after the compact discs were released in 1987, they weren't in pristine shape so I didn't get much money in return form Princeton Record Exchange in Princeton N.J. I still have several 45 r.p.m. Apple singles
At the time I thought the compact disc was the greatest thing in the world, but I have found out the CD does have flaws too. I sorta wish I had kept them every now and then.
I recently listened to the 1st issue CDs, and I think they sound great. I wish that Capitol would release the Christmas recording on CD with improved sound and nicer packaging. The bootleg Yellow Dog CD (YD 031) sounds very good for a 1992 bootleg CD.
I think I may have an original Christmas Album (SBC 100), but the label sort of just doesn't look right, it looks like a photograph of the original labels in color. The front of the jacket has photos of The Beatles in boxes with a blue background. I bought it at a record "convention" and sale in Philadelphia PA in later 1981. I remember the event because MTV had just come on the cable television spectrum and they were promoting themselves, where I met VJ Mark Goodman.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Got it Friday and I have had the Betty board since 1988... I have listened to this Dave's Picks more than any other since the 72 Wichita show... I love Tennessee Jed through the end of the show especially the Santa Barbara filler that i thought we would never see on a board!! Not saying I don't like Disc 1 with the first Terrapin and Estimated, and killer Playing>wheel>Playing, because i do.. For me it really starts with the Help>Slipknot>Franklin's. This Franklin's reminds me of the 6/9/77 one just not as long and drawn out... Throw in the one from 5/9/77 Buffalo show and what a great bunch of Franklin's Towers.... The Promised Land after is awesome also, doesn't have the typical let's get the spider webs out start of a show Promised Land. The Eyes is awesome, great Phil solo and then the Dancing really starts off the awesome 77 versions that follow, so different then the 76 versions!!! Not gonna spoil the 2/27 filler!! Have a good Sunday bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

It's a beautiful day here in SW OH.... sunny, mid 60's.... spent some of the afternoon cleaning out my car and shining up my Road King... having a cold one and enjoying 29..... I really like this release. Was always one of my favorite tapes. Reading the liner notes... never thought I'd see The Dead, Muhammad Ali, and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman in the same sentence.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

And what a stellar addition to the DaP series it is! I haven't had time for a full listen yet, but Jerry's guitar licks at the end of "They Love Each Other" are breathtaking. I'm now half way through Disc 2 and am blown away.

Tonight I'm catching Phil and the Terrapin Family Band at the Showbox in Seattle. And the release of Jerry's shows at French's Camp on the Eel River has just been announced.

The bus keeps rollin' on!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Caseyjanes - you're going to love the Stones trip. Exile is considered by many to be the pinnacle of their late 60s early 70s run of 5 star albums. It took me awhile to catch the vibe on that one, so if you find yourself having trouble, try the one before it, Sticky Fingers. Mick Taylor and Keith Richards were an incredible guitar duo, trading rhythm and lead or playing dual rhythm in different octaves; damn, it's great stuff.

Born x-eyed, I've been to the Princeton Record Exchange. It may even be the place I finally landed a copy of Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow in high school. A buddy and me were huge into Yes in '87, and the album was out of print (and had never been put to CD at that time). We spent a day hunting down the LP, which had legendary staus as the "lost" Yes album. On a day we should have been in school, we grabbed a bunch of phone books and a full tank of gas, and made a day of it. Pretty sure the Princeton Record Exchange was the one that actually had it. Great stuff.

Also loving DaP 29. I'm not the biggest '77 fan, but it's that good. The Slipknot! is a face melter for sure, my favorite on account of Jerry's lead work and guitar tone (and volume). I think he snuck in Wolf on that one :D

Franklin's Tower, as noted by others, is top-shelf. I think it's close to Go To Nassau 1980. All depends on how much rhythm Jerry plays on the main riff. On a lot of occasions he leaves it to Keith and Bobby to carry it after the opening, but he stays on it most of the song here. Rock and Roll.

Phil knocks us out on that Eyes ending, no doubt.

Morning Dew - to quote V-guy - Morning Dew ain't no filler!

A+ Playin'
A+ Recording
A+ Filler
Best Dave's release in three years. Donna sounds unusually good in the mix. And please, please, please, filler on every release. This Dew is an amazing surprise to finish the experience. P.S. No skips

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Sand Castles and Marbles followed by the Hollywood Cantata. Good Stuff.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The thing I love about this show is that it's a great hybrid of '76 / '77. The Playing in the Band features real piano like '76, and to me, they sound like they still take an explorative approach. The Wheel segue is prime '77 smoothness, which, for that song, benefitted tremendously (was never a fan of the big drum intro of '76). The Wheel in '77 is one of those tunes like Brokedown Palace, where they play it just infrequently enough that it's always a treat. Any Wheel fans out there? If so, check out Dick's Picks 18 - only time they played it that year, and in my opinion, it was the best performance they got with the Godchauxs. The intro with Keith's quiet Wheel chords and Jerry's noodling on the Wolf reminds me of trippy old Peter Green Fleetwood Mac. No other like it.

or, auf Deutsch, "etwas ganz besonderes".

Swans.

Like the GD and FZ, a wide, wide, deep, deep body of work. Not for everybody. Some of it is pretty straight forward, some is extremely unique, some is challenging.

I highly recommend Swans. Start with Soundtracks for the Blind, then White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, then Filth, then Cop, then Feel Good Now, then Public Castration is a Good Idea, then wherever you want to go.

it s.a.f. ain't Ariana Grande.

I got my copy over the weekend. I have only listened to the first few songs but I'm just so damn happy. each and every year Dave and co continually blow my mind. I said this especially after last year's box set, but i truly feel so content - I'm of course not going to stop collecting, but I am also no longer chasing or waiting/hoping for a particular show. I feel set for life and everything else that comes out in the years to follow is all gravy.

hope everyone is well - I've vowed that in 2019 I am going to disconnect a lot more (no social media, less phone time, etc) so may only check in here from time to time, but hope everyone continues to enjoy these releases as much as I have been...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Is there a well engineered splice at about 5:50 of Around and Around? I can't totally tell. If so, it's barely noticeable. It just seems the flow of the music shifts a bit oddly there. There sounds like some tape weirdness somewhere during the H>S>F triptych, but overall the sound is really, really good. Ok Dave 10-29 next, then 10-2, then 4-23, then, then, then....

1977 seems almost like an inexhaustible well!

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

I love any and all of the live Dead releases: Dick's, Dave's, from the Vault, Without a Net, Sunshine Daydream, the PNW set. All just candy for the soul. And also the JGB "Electric on the Eel" box set released recently! Let's not forget that the JGB live releases have been stellar too. Anyway, the few hours I spent yesterday with Dave's #29 was pure bliss. Great sound mix and the show totally sizzles from the get and never lets up. The "Filler"? Also Prime. The Morning Dew from 2/27 is choice. So I just want to stop and embrace the gratitude for this music and the people who help release it. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Two for the show and one for the bonus tracks.

Already had a great recording of 2/26/77, but am always happy to get a greater one! Both this and DaP30 are shows I already have with added material I don't. Kinda perfect for me!

Strongly support 3rd disc filler! More please! Not so supportive of filler on 1st or 2nd discs as it disrupts show-flow, but my complaints are easily ignored...

Very happy to have received this at all since I have had both a change-of-address and change-of-credit-card since ordering the sub. Read too many horror stories here about hijinks ensuing from such things...

AND NO SKIPS! Had both the Birdsong skip in the 73/74 3CD release and the Let It Grow skip in DaP28. Nice to not have such issues this time.

How's about fitting a 4(or5)/82 show and a 10/89 show in the DaP series before DaP36, eh?

Ever since the site rebuild, I have not been able to log in without "request(ing) a new password", so I don't log in too often now. I suspect the problem arises from my browser being non-updated for years (due to a tangle of issues I have revolving around needing system compatability with a non-updatable program), but I wonder if some of the posters that are no longer here are gone due to log in issues

Sorry for your loss, Bolo. Living is often a brutal experience and our emotional systems don't seem to have any effective work-arounds to soften the blows. May you and your family have much to hold on to in this season of loss.

Set the tractor for Jan/70, Jim! Let's go!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Love this show inside and out...and of course there are many moments of barn-burning. My personal favorite is the Eyes>Dancin'...and I believe this was in fact the first Dancin' they performed with the wah-wah pedal? Is that right? Also they've dropped the '76-implemented transition toward the end of the Dancin' jam, and it just heads right back to the final verse. Always wondered if this was planned, or they just 'forgot' to play that part, cause I don't recall ever hearing it done that way again up until it was retired some time in '79.

Enjoy this one Folks!
Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Like Dave, this recording has a special place for me having been one of my prize acquisitions back in the cassette era. It was one of my best tapes and I listened to it regularly as a young teenager. This fact affects my perception, but my gosh what an exalted perception. This is one of my favorites.

Listening extensively over the weekend caused me to ponder why. One answer that kept coming to mind: KEITH GODCHAUX!! While one could debate whether this is one of the Dead's best ever performances, I think it would be hard to argue against this being one of Keith's top performances. He is so intuitive with his timing and tasteful fills. Those twinkling, rolling fills he does throughout the night are just superb. I cant really think of another show where he does this as often or effectively. Hyperbole aside, I think Keith was having a great night and is a big part of what makes this show so good. He is all over the Morning Dew from the next night as well!

This is an intriguing show because it contains no "jam" segment per se yet it happens to include at least two examples of what I consider some of the best improvisation the band ever performed. The jam in Playin is unique in several ways, but the lead into The Wheel contains superb improvisation especially from Garcia, Weir and Keith that showcases them at their best. Then we have the transition from Eyes into Dancin'. It is a very tasteful piece of music and, once again, I have to give Keith credit for making it so. To my ear he is the one that makes that transition so great with that repetitive lick on the high end of the keyboard that he carries on through the introduction until everyone is charging forward on the new groove. Then there are just really good renditions of some of their best material like Music Never and Help>Slip>Frank.

It is just such a lively show all the way around. Even the well timed finger whistling we get from a particularly tuned in head. That guy hit it at just the right moments: the transition into Dancin, the transition segment at the end of Slipknot, the beginning of Playin' etc. That whistle is an indelible part of this recording and I have a soft spot for it. I wonder if whoever it was listens to this recording and smiles wistfully to themselves about that night.

I know all of this is highly subjective and no doubt affected by my nostalgic familiarity with the recording. None-the-less, there is my take on it. I just love this tape!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by wadeocu

thanks for that tip Wadeocu - and I thought I had a trained ear for these disco Dancin's. Some sleuthing may be in order....

Still, pretty sure it was the first Wah-wah! But I'd love to be shown incorrect....

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

This sounds magnificent.

Kudos to all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

16988 arrived this morning.
I was at home when the "Letter Carrier" arrived with the snail mail this morning. I live in an area where the mail is delivered door-to-door. I opened the door as the "Letter Carrier" was about the put the mail in the mailbox. I joyfully said, rather loudly,
"ALLL RIIIGHT! Grateful Dead at the Schwiiiiiggg 77 Daves Picks 29!"
I sort of startled the carrier and he smiled and said that he wished he had been there but was serving in the US Army as a 20-year-old Corporal. Turns out that he is a Dead Head also, and born 4 days after me on 10/31 - Halloween.
Before this DaP 29 arrived I was able to find set 1 of this show on cassette in my "archives". It sounded very good for a tape, but not really anything to get excited about anymore. I also found discs 1 & 2 from this 3 CD-R set and they were really good, but in mono and rather compressed to irritate me.
This one of my favorite shows.

Here on the official release, we have the full show in uncompressed Betty-board stereo and it is EXCELLENT!
SONIC NIRVANA!
THANK YOU TO THE POWERS-THAT-BE that got this chestnut released and to all us heads who kept on requesting the release this show.
We also are treated to an audio sample of 2/27/77 Santa Barbara and the "booklet"/folded one-sheet has reviews of the 2/27/77 nugget. Could this be a prelude to a future full-show release in the future?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

or some kind of parasite.

yo Marye!!! throw him into the pond!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....I have to drive across the city in about an hour. C'mon mailman!
....edit. Swing is here. #1978/20000. Soooo close 😔. Time to drive 🙄

Lots of Phil.

Also had this on cassette, then CD-R, then CD-R upgrade, now the Full Norman.

Cheers to Betty, Dave, Jeffrey, TPTB, and ABCD Enterprises.
THANKS!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Preamble to the 5-9-77 monster.

For my commute last week and this week I’ve been working my way through the 6-7,8,9-77 Box. Another fine ‘77 offering.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Amazing. Also, 302 Terrapins, only one time played as show opener. 11 times - that I count - as set two opener: 5/7/77, 11/1/77, 1/18/78, 11/6/79, 3/12/81, 10/8/84, 10/28/84, 3/29/85, 4/3/85, 4/13/85, 8/31/85.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

Man, I am just blown away. This is an old favorite, but I must have forgotten just how good it is. Just about every song is really special. I almost guarantee that every song in this show is someone's favorite version of the song (I think this is my favorite HSF because of the slipknot). I think this is also one of the best Keith shows out there. On top of that, we get some pretty incredible unreleased (on SBD) material. This is the happiest I've been about a release in some time. It's doing that thing to me where it reminds that I loved x about y show and I should go dig it up again, which will turn into a multiple week rabbit hole. Thanks Dead.net folks!

In the spirit of immediately agitating about the next thing. Does anyone know if the festival express shows are in the vault?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'll be sure to check out the 81 wheel version you mentioned oh, thank you. Also wanted to let you know that I was listening to 11 19 1972 last night, end the determination I came to is that it's probably going to be released very soon, possibly the next 1972 show that we get. I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside... a very good buddy of mine pointed me in that direction last night, as it was on taperssection on this site. And as I started to listen to it on taperssection on headphones through my phone browser, I also put it on my music player at the same time so that there was maybe a 2-second delay between the two. I don't know man it sounded pretty wacky and cool to me! I am really impressed with that dark star, and Weir is a big part of it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 2 months

I am sure this has been asked before, but will Dave's Picks ever be available digitally?
thanks, Rob

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

WOW!!! I thought several things, the recording I have is GREAT. Apparently played the night before and broke out Cumberland after 7 years (what I read on archive). My recording of that is also Damn Good, listening to very nice Bird Song right now. The 2nd night recording maybe a soundboard, the first is a audience, both have amazing sonics and Jerry burned up the end of Wheel, Bob was very well recorded (everyone was). My next thought was this would make a nice box set. Small and affordable by all & a wonderful 81 recording.

...well I'd buy it :-)

Thanks for the heads up on Wheel, Mr. Stoz and K-Man, both shows in phone, I'll play at store tonight.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html