• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Catching up on old posts. Keith Fan seriously where the hell did you find The "Seven"? I didn't know there WAS a Seven, let alone that something that obscure would rock so hard. I did some research and they only played it four times. Twice as Mickey and the heartbeats. I'm stumped why they stopped playing it. Did everybody else catch that post from the weekend?

You surprised me again with your mushroom story. No offense, but I had you pegged for straight laces. I got what you meant when you said horcrux. Fell right the fuck off my chair I did. I've been there man. You trip and you feel like that part of you will always remain behind in the place that you tripped. Unless you trip a whole fuckload. Then I suppose you feel like you've left reality off in some distant place in the past. But I only did it a handful of times myself.

You surprised me a third time talking about 1981. I don't think I've ever heard you pay homage to anything past February 17, 1979. I must say I was disappointed ;-)

...i wanted to ask everyone if anyone could assist me in trying to get a Copy of the Daves Picks #5 in the series. I’m not having any luck finding one and it WILL complete my collection. Any help of any kind would be gratefully appreciated from this true fan of the band, the Grateful Dead to another...peace be with you all. :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....and found myself watching Laurel & Hardy and The Marx Brothers for the last hour. My sides hurt....😂
$440 for Pauley? 😂😶🤤

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

...$440 is way to much money for this collector & fan... :(

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

This week I'm giving a listen to a couple picks not normally as high in my rotation, 19 Honolulu and 24 Berkeley. I've only listened to discs 1 and some of 2 so far for each. But what I've heard has been very good, and sounds great. How about the set opening China>Rider and a set list that includes the entire Other One suite AND Dark Star on 19?

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Awhile back I was playing a jam mix that somebody have made on YouTube on my surround sound system, sometime on a weekend I guess with it turned up really loudly. Lo and behold the seven came on, and I recall thinking it was part of a dark star or something that I've never heard before. I went into the family room to see what it actually was, and it was that September 29th 1969 version. I think I have the date right on that. I'm driving and I can't check but it was the longer one that I posted over the weekend. The audio isn't terrific, but it gets the job done. It is a little bit of a mystery why they dropped it, but they dropped a lot of good songs over the years. When your band is that good you can get away with it. It is a little bit one-dimensional, so playing it for 8 or 9 minutes probably isnt optimal, but you would have thought that it would have showed up in some of their other jams for two or three minutes at a time. If I had to guess, I'd say they just forgot about it. We hang on every note of every concert as if they knew exactly what they wanted, but I think they sometimes just wung it without much thought or preparation, and without looking back . I can just imagine them in Bobby's studio in 1975 saying, hey does anyone remember how the seven went? No? Well fuck it, I suppose we could look for the tape . Does anyone remember when we played it? No ? Okay well we'll just throw the 11 Jam on the end of trucking instead. Referring of course to Lindley Meadows.

Sorry about the spelling, I'm talking into my phone to write this.

You guys got me checking it out winterland 1973 again. I forget who recorded this but sounds awesome.

Jimbo - I'd like to borrow the Wayback machine and follow the dad for 10 or 15 years. Maybe even whack ramrod over the head and take his spot. Oi! Maybe I can take Keith spot. I'd have to learn the piano first. That would take years of Groundhog Day like repetition. Nah, what am I talking about. I don't want to alter the music. I just want to hang on every note of every song that I know they're going to play as they play it live.

Is there a better 1972 version of The Other One than the Hundred Year Hall? I came late to the show. 4u long-timers, just how awesome was it when they released hundred-year Hall, ladies and gentlemen, and Rockin the rhein? Was there general knowledge at the time that the entire Europe 72 tour have been preserved on Multi track tapes? In hindsight, it's a little bit curious that it took until 2011 to finally release at all. Especially when you consider that one from the Vault came out in what 91?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

9/26/81

I recently said the 2nd set feels a bit underdeveloped (e.g., pre-drums is energetic, but needs just a liiiittle more material, and NFA feels short)

but...Morning Dew is magnificent. I felt about 14 different emotions listening to it on the way home yesterday.

as the protagonist in the GD movie (John?) sez: "Grateful Dead forever"

I also need to go back and get a good listen to The Seven as I don't recall exactly how it goes or what it did....but I do recall it was only played a handful of times.

It's funny, we think about all of the great songs the GD played and how some came and went, others came back again - we know this pretty well being the rabid base that we are. But, I recall reading an interview with Jerry (not sure when it was) and he was discussing Here Comes Sunshine, and he said something along the lines of "we only played that song like 4 times in the early '70's...." which of course if completely off base, but still quite interesting in terms of how *he* recalled this memory. Now of course, we all know Here Comes Sunshine was a MONSTER in '73 and '74, played many more times than '4'......and it was one of the hearkening calls to that era in my opinion. It's just funny to reconcile our attention to detail with others' who were actually there....

As for the contemporaneous releases of the aforementioned Europe '72 fodder, i distinctly recall going to the record store and finding Hundred Year Hall and being f%#@ing ELATED to have more of those crispy Boards at my disposal. Not to mention that Lovelight > Jam >NFA Tease > GDRFB blew me away time and time again (and still does). Indeed, I found it curious then when 'Steppin' Out' was released, but I had not thought so far ahead to believe they would EVER release the entire tour. The delay could have been a few things, like not being 100% sure the fandom/cash-in-hand was there to justify such an enormous box; it could have also been due to the fact that Dave's Picks hadn't started up yet (this was in 2012), so there was not yet a "main focus" on the releases, so perhaps they used that lull to put the big box out in fall of 2011. Or, it could be some other reason simply because I am throwing pasta at the wall here.

Always happy to speculate and find a good Seven.
Sixtus

Clearly KF's dad was a rabid touring deadhead. Makes perfect sense to me. :D

I suspect The Seven was a work in progress.. Mickey brought to the game more focus on polyrhythmic and syncopated accents and beats. The fact that half the time they played this.. it was under the moniker of Mickey and the Heartbeats might indicate Mickey was at least partially involved in pushing this theme forward. This is also about the same time The Main Ten (prelude to Playing In The Band, again written by Mickey and later adopted by Bob) came to be. Add in The Eleven and you see a theme, seven, ten, eleven, etc. They were experimenting with non-standard time signatures and syncopation (and experimenting with 'other' things which plays a very big part in it all).

I suspect Phil was a big part of this push too, but have no proof. Phil and Mickey seem to have that funk and sense of (off)beat rhythms and strange timing signatures. If you look at the 74 Jam between China and Rider (I forget what people are calling this, anyone??), but it is also a play on changes in timing signatures and beat emphasis.. seems to have Phil fingerprints as does the jam from Eyes > China Doll from this period which again is some sort of planned arrangement they slipped into preexisting transitions. Great stuff.. and for me is the drippy antimatter that keeps my attention.

A lot of these jams disappeared over time, perhaps because as they evolved they became less fluid and cumbersome to play?? This is especially true of the older songs like Seven, The Eleven, I have heard Garcia comment that St. Stephen and a lot of the stuff on Aoxomoxoa was often cumbersome to play so it was dropped over time.

Anyway.. just my two cents on how these songs came to be, why they might have been dropped as time went on. Oh.. it's suffice to say these guys were pretty high a lot in this time period and were somehow really good at playing in this condition. How on earth they were able to pull this off is beyond me, but I have a hard time remembering stuff when I am feeling other worldly.. if that makes sense.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

mine is my metrognome (sic)

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Unless you just got robbed or worse, usually not a good sign.

Good catch Stolie:

Garcia to Blair Jackson in '88 on why they stopped playing St Stephen. "We used it up... It's got little idiosyncrasies and verses that are different from each other...it's unnecessarily difficult. It's been made tricky. It's got a bridge in the middle that doesn't really fit in... It has a couple of things that work real good, but finally, the stuff that doesn't work overpowers the stuff that does work... If you don't remember every bit of it: 'Let's see, what verse is this?' They're not interchangeable - you have to do them in order. So a song like St Stephen is a cop. It's our musical policeman: if we don't do it the way it wants to go, it doesn't work at all. That means it's inflexible. "When you get good enough at those kinds of pieces, people think, 'Wow, that's really far out and open,' but that's an illusion. It's just written complicated - what we need is material that is authentically open."

user picture

Member for

9 years

I am new to the releases as well, but i have heard that they had to fight for Fillmore West to get released in completion, since Rhino did not think that people would want to buy full shows with mostly repeats. I feel the success of this box opened the door for the runs of shows that we occasionally get.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by MDJim

Winterland 73 was recorded by Kid Candelerio. I believe he recorded most of the November 73 releases like Dave's 5 and RT 4.3, which are top notch as well. With the Winterland 73, we also got the Plagent Process bonus.
I do remember buying 100 year hall in the mid 1990s and it was just a two disc best of set at that point. I personally had no idea the treasures they had for E72. Of course this was all pre-internet days, so most the information we got was from Relix. Remember those days? A long time ago.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

gone are the days

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by stoltzfus

...hello All my brothers & sisters , hope everyone is doing well.
Today I put Daves Pick #9 on play. I started with disc one and enjoyed it once again! Jerry guitar is so strong on these recordings, ear piercing at times, I love the Fat Man playing on this release.
David L. Didn’t write much in the liner notes/booklet that was included with this release. ‘Gratefully’ a lot of primo photographs and news paper clippings are found in the booklet.
Anyone have any thoughts on Daves Pick #9, would love to read any feedback...
Thank you, peace be with you all.
: )

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by NCDead

I could be wrong.. but wasn't this the last item produced by GD Merch? I think so.. Wikipedia has the record label = "Grateful Dead"

I would bet Lemieux pushed to get it released in it's entirety.. by then the battle of the completists vs. the best of war was already well underway. If there was pushback on getting it released in it's entirety, I bet it was on the GD side.. band members, Cutler, who knows.. not that I think there was not push back, I bet there was.

Still.. one of the early truly great releases. I listened to 2/27/69 in it's entirety quite mood enhanced yesterday back country skiing on some fresh show at one of the local mountains. Sublime. That Dark Star is really something. A masterpiece.

oh.. comments on DaP 9, 5/14/74? Frightening.. Don't listen to that Dark Star at high volume on a day when you missed your meds.. Atonal madness that seemingly symbolizes the end of the world and just when you can't take it anymore, the bittersweet sounds of China Doll deliver you safely back to earth. A great release, albeit a bit scary at times.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by MDJim

...I Absolutly agree , this Dark Star is frightening,scary at times and then what sounds like ‘space’ the band is deffently exploring unknown regions in cerebral canyons of delightful space bending musical structure...then into a nice ‘china doll’ & the Not fade away with going down the road & finish things off with a fine ‘one more Saturday night! I’m still enjoying this show, Daves Pick #9 #9 #9 #9... ; )

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Continuing to spin some things I haven't listened to in too long.
1- The Harder They Come soundtrack- Jimmy Cliff and Others, a great foundational reggae release, great mix of tunes. If you have never heard it, it is well worth a listen.
2- FW '69 3/1/69 - Grateful Dead, I usually gravitate to 2/27 when I reach for the FW '69 box, so I went with 3/1 instead. I missed this when it first came out and had to pay a bit more than I would have liked when I picked it up, but no regrets. This is a premium primal dead run.
3- Goats Head Soup - Rolling Stones, dig some of the more off the beaten path tracks on that one, 100 Years Ago, Winter and Can't You Hear the Music may not be what people think of first when they think Rolling Stones, but those songs just have a cool vibe.
4- Blues for Allah (remastered and expanded) - Grateful Dead, been a long time since I played this one but what a cool album.
5- Emotional Rescue - Rolling Stones, cause sometimes that title track just gets stuck in my head. Don't you know promises were never meant to keep? Just like the night, they dissolve off in sleep, I'll be your savior, steadfast and true, I'll come to your emotional rescue...

As far as that Hundred Year Hall release, I remember how psyched I was when that came out, had that cool artwork, sounded great, and really opened my eyes to the fact that there was way more to E'72 than what was included on the first E '72 album.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds
David Bowie - Scary Monsters
GOGD - Portland 5.19.74
Huey Lewis and the News - Fore!
Phish - Drum Logos, Japan 6.14.00
....that's what I did

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Went in to work early today (before anyone else arrived) and knew I needed some primordial dead. Thru on 20 Oct 68 and started working on a lesson. Good morning and then a Lovelight with Pig, followed by one continuous ride on the star all the way to the end of the tracks. Sure wish I had seen this show. I guess this would have been following granddad. Short show but 5***** quality and effort. Hopefully we'll get a gem box from this era soon. Also, I think the lesson I worked on is far better for it too.

user picture

Member for

5 years 3 months

Noida Escort Service by Lipsha Roy Independent Call Girl in Noida in 3* 5* 7* Hotel 24 Hours Noida Escorts Service - Want to Spend Whole Night With Our Hot Escort Girl in Noida.

https://alkaservice.com/

https://alkaservice.com/noida-call-girl/

https://alkaservice.com/call-girl-greater-noida/

https://alkaservice.com/ghaziabad-call-girl-service/

https://alkaservice.com/crossings-republik-escort-service-ghaziabad/

I was shaken from the pleasant thoughts via Drpryan's Psychedelic Breakfast to someone telling me I need to travel to India for porn and steamy, expensive sin.

I feel dirty. I'm taking an shower and will return when MaryE bans this filth monger from our world. Yukky.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

bizarre item to find on this lil' board.

sorry, but not _alllll_ posters are welcome here.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Very cool feedback on the Hundred Year Hall release. On the one hand it's kind of a bummer that I didn't get to enjoy these releases when they first hit the streets, because I missed out on the community excitement. On the other hand, getting into the Grateful Dead hardcore revolved around ordering a new Europe 72 show every week for a couple of months, and then ordering a couple a week when I just couldn't wait any longer.

https://youtu.be/pt67BUeQ1-Q

This Tivoli show comes and goes on YouTube. Enjoy it while you can as it just came back up after a long absence.

Today I'm going with the opening drive of the '73 marathon, February 9th. China Cat - check; Sunsine - check; Loose Lucy - check; Dead Battery - check.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I loved 100 Year Hall, especially the Comes A Time as I have a soft spot for that song.

..but what really blew me away was getting the steamer trunk and listening to all 22 shows, uninterrupted, in succession. In fact, it rejuvenated my interest in the music in a way my previous decades of listening had not. I still hit shows from that tour regularly and in the right mood.. it transcends my mood and outlook on life.

Speaking of which.. planning my afternoon adventure now including what to listen too. What fun.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

What’s it going to be today Jim? Back Country Skiing? Single track mountain biking? Or maybe some kayaking down the ice filled river? 😊

You Should do guided tours....Psychadelic Outdoor Adventures with Jim. Maybe even fire up the time machine..... I’m in!

And speaking of outdoor adventures, if y’all have not seen Free Solo yet, I would highly recommend, and if you like that also Valley Uprising which has some nice psychadelic moments....think about hanging off the side of the largest rock face in the world while tripping....makes me woozy just thinking about it! Both are on Amazon...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by MDJim

...was like Michael Jordan in 1991 or Tiger Woods in 2000. Creative playing, adventurous, yet so muscular, too. No wasted effort. They could see things that no one else saw and they could execute it. Definitely the peak for me.

Now, the Dead in 68 and early 69 was more like Mike Tyson in 1988. Hard and fast and no matter what you do, you know you are gonna be flat on your back.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

DaP 9 is probably my favorite release of the series. Followed by 29! But that Dark Star will definitely have you hiding under the covers.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Had to comment on this release, love it, the liner notes by Hunter are also quite good and adds to the release in my opinion. I think this has been discussed before but the same show was released in it's entirety in the E 72 box and to my old ears, even back then, the 100 year hall release sounds a bit better, clearer, bigger, ??? hard to find the right word or words to describe the difference, but it is there, different mix or better production? don't know, but that is a favorite of mine and has been since it's release. Agree about E 72 also, that was soon much fun to received the box, see the box and the special name you could give it, open the box, trying to get the cd's out of those sleeves without ripping the sleeve, then the big payoff, listening to them all in a row, just a whole lot of fun. I did have multiple discs that malfunctioned with the big box release and it did take almost a year to resolve the problem, but it was finally resolved with replacement discs being sent, even replaced ripped sleeves. My first encounter with customer service, which is a whole other story.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by lebowski99

Thanks for the link Keithfan. The video is sweet. Just love seeing old pigpen in the mix. So they have video of some of this tour??? My God, let's get that out! What are they waiting for? I get excited just watching this link with the constant commercials.

I know I have beaten this drum before, but let's get some Blu-ray, DVD, whatever out. When was the last release with video? Sunshine Daydream? Don't these guys want to make money?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by DeadVikes

I haven't been on this site in forever, but I am currently knee deep listening to 5/25/72 so wanted to share.....and here I see you all talking about shows from the tour. Life is funny...hope everyone is well.

PS the dark star from 5/25 was never my favorite from the tour but today I feel like I'm hearing it in a new way and I'm wondering where it's been all my life (even though I've heard it several times)...that kind of day.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Funny this comes up this week, as I just finished comparing the sound of the HYHall and E72 release from the box. I think I compared big railroad blues back to back. I preferred the E72 sound. I thought the HYHall was thinner, and the E72 was warmer. YMMV. Some one said this box is the gift that keeps giving, and that's the truth. I'm on my third listen to the tour, and each show is breathtaking.

I've also been enjoying the latest Dave's, great release. Last night reIistened to the 30trips 79 and the first set is a little rocky, but the second set Dancin'>Eyes is a keeper. Had to stop so I look forward to the Caution tonight. Aint that sweet?

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

I could be wrong.. but I believe 4/17/72 Tivolis was partially recorded by a local TV station until they ran out of film. The second set jam is completely missing, but we do get to see the bozo's in full form during Big RR Blues. Still, they have most of the first set starting with Bobby McGee and Big RR Blues Truckin' from the second set.

The Beat Club was also recorded on video which is sometimes visible on YouTube and was featured on GD at the Movies five or so years back.

I think that's all that exists. I suspect there just isn't that much money in GD DVDs or they would do more. I'd love to see the '71 Chateau d'HerouvilIe - Herouville, France cleaned up and released one day too.. that one is a gem.

Ha.. KCJanes, today's grand adventure was edibles and some cross country skiing, 8/25/72 BCT DaP 25 and back by 3:30. What a great little show that is, I had forgotten that TOO went into an early Stella Blue, I was expecting Sugar Magnolia - pleasant surprise. It's gotten too cold for winter boating, hasn't been above 15 degrees for the better part of the week, we got 8" of snow Sunday and it has been snowing a bit every day since, so snow is the fun this week. I guess I can rest easy knowing I have a second career as a raft guide though.. thanks for the confidence! ..and yes, it's been a light work week. I love light work weeks!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah, it's a drag they didn't get the Dark Star from Tivoli II, but that's what Sunshine Daydream's for, right?

We do have the Beat Club, including what's actually a killer Other One:

Bertha / PITB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poSf7UHlQuE&t=433s

Mr. Charlie / Sugaree / Saturday Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisJWN_UTog

PITB II / BIODTL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggVpXujD70

Truckin' / Drums / The Other One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKiM9gH9Ndc&t=1107s

Rumor has it they were sober and just about awake, as this was an afternoon engagement for TV recording. (since they were recording on "normal" people's schedules). All I can say is - look how fucking BORED these guys look straight.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

These E72 videos got me thinking....that's not the Alligator.....and neither is the one he plays at Veneta...where the f's the Alligator Strat??? Turns out the E72 one is actually it, pre-Alligator sticker. It didn't look quite yellow enough to me, so I thought it was a different one, but I guess not. In any case, I stumbled across this (check them out playing my Uncle's 30th birthday party in his backyard - mislabeled France '71:

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/iconic-mods-how-jerry-garcias-alli…

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I do not think the GD owns Tivoli, the Beat Club or Chateau d'HerouvilIe. So we are at the mercy of cooperation, contracts, lawyers and money to ever see them get released.

Fingers crossed..

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Love the Swing, man. What a classic. Besides the obvious highlights / debuts, really digging the Deal.

Been on the Fillmore West 69 set now for the first time; the 3-disc compilation was one of the first 'deep cut' Dead I bought in 2013 (I was surprised by the amount of sleazy blues), I have 2/27/69 from Record Store Day last year (the only live show of theirs I have on vinyl, wasn't really keen on the idea but that show was worth it) but I hadn't listened to the whole run before. Spinning 2/28/69 in the car on repeat these last two weeks, gowzah. That Drums > Jam. Nevermind actual songs! :O

A friend bought me a book on pro wrestling, it put me on a nostalgic run of Youtube back to 1999..we were all about that around 8th grade, the Attitude era. Fun to go back; Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind...DX! I've got two words for you..

Speaking of books wrapped up one on Chernobyl, never knew much about it before. Talk about fascinating..from the process safety behaviors that lead to it, to the response, the fallout, the poor casualties, the eeriness of the Exclusion Zone. The author I read gave a history of it all, but was also an urban explorer / photographer that got to visit 'the Zone' in 2011 and that aspect was fascinating and disturbing in itself.

Rumors abound of a Dylan release of live Rolling Thunder (first leg, '75) box set to coincide with the coming Scorsese documentary. That's alpha and omega for me, bringing it all back home. *cue The Office it's happening! meme*

When I Paint My Masterpiece in a transparent Nixon mask. Renaldo and Clara. Appropriate for this week, eh...commedia dell'arte. Cherise was dressing as Pierrot* in white...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRkjUBusSdU

Don't tell me this town don't got no heart.

https://vimeo.com/262350673

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Ooops that was Dancin' > Franklin's Tower to kick off the second set of 30Trips79. Listening to it again tonight, and then on to Caution!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I count 5 days until the Jerry Eel box ships, can you tell I'm looking forward to it?
I've been diggin' the Beatles 50th ann release of the white album and I just ordered the Kinks 50th ann release of Village Preservation Society.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I too am eagerly awaiting the Electric on the Eel box, got my pre-order in last month. Looks like some cool songs on there, particularly looking forward to checking out the Don't Let Go, always one of my favorites, and I have high hopes for the You Never Can Tell (C'est La Vie).

So Muleskinner, you piqued my curiosity about the Chernobyl book - any chance you can post the title? I have seen a couple of articles in National Geographic about Chernobyl and some of the photo's that I have seen of the deserted remains of the town of Pripyat are just eerie on some basic level. Always dug the virtual recreation of the Pripyat amusement park in the FPS video game COD 4: MW. Abandoned places kind of fascinate me, sort of the physical embodiment of the sublime power of time.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Well...and I thought Hippi Chick was kinda crazy....now we have Shikhashiripune who takes the personal pic to another level....nice tits, or maybe just another worthless spammer that Marye will eventually Deal with. Seems the bot test is not so good which some of us already knew...

Now spinning: ThE Ornette Coleman Trio at the “golden circle” Stockholm vol 1.....

And Now,,,,The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan.....my dog is a Howlin while a make a CD for a friend.....

And now...The Beatles Abbey Road while most of you sleep!

KCJ

KCjBot

As I was reading your post and you hit upon this abandoned amusement park, I IMMEDIATELY thought of that piece of COD4 as you've so masterfully referenced. Indeed, that was an eerie setting not to mention I had to do it over like 50 times to beat it. I would end up hunkering down in one of the bumper car pavilions to survive the onslaught. Clearly this is totally out of the GD realm but nonetheless your mention brought my mind to this exact scene...

And as others have noted, I too am eagerly awaiting the next Jerry Box....this comes from one of my favorite eras for his band so it will surely be a treat. Poke The Eel.

And it's Friday.....exhale

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Some of the Paris May 72 shows were recorded on video tape: saw It Hurts Me Too & I Know You Rider in 1976 in a theatre in Paris, part of a "rock and roll on video" show; these were in black and white, not the greatest quality. I've always wondered if they filmed more than that.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Pretty funny, I haven't played COD4 in a while, but I definitely recall that I spent some time maneuvering around the bumper cars trying to survive. Took a few tries for me to get through that section on the high difficulty setting.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html