• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....Halo 2 is better.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Vguy, Halo and Halo 2 were both awesome, spent a lot of time playing that with my kids when they first came out. Good times. Currently listening to Jerry tell me that it's too late, she's gone as I spin that excellent Keystone Companions: Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings box with Jerry and Merle. There is some great stuff in that box, particularly dig Hi Heel Sneakers and My Funny Valentine, which just came on as I was typing this. Can't go wrong with '73, if you have not checked this box out, it is a bargain for some really great stuff.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The one I read was called "Chernobyl 01:23:40: The Incredible True Story of the World's Worst Nuclear Disaster" by Andrew Leatherbarrow.

Won't say it was the best thing ever but I found it engaging for both the mix of the history as well as his urban exploration piece. In the foreword, he links his Flickr photo collection from the trip that I followed along with during the appropriate sections of the book: https://www.flickr.com/photos/revelation_space/collections/721576642155…
Some haunting stuff in the abandoned schools, etc. Check out some of the middle pages of 'Day 3' in Pripyat (including bumper cars).

Listening now to Dead & Co doing Liberty, 6/15/17. I heard that song for the first time in the Fare Thee Well broadcasts and then the last two shows from 30 Trips. Good memories. Had that and The Avett Brothers in my head wheezing my way through the last stretch of coming out of the Grand Canyon in March 2016, South Kaibab > Bright Angel. I can't go back the way we came! Gonna find my own way home.

First, enough criticism of Pripyat Park, I've been taking the family there every year for the last 15. It's way better than Disney.. free admission, no lines and all the rides work. The soft serve ice cream glows in your tummy, not in your hands. Pet friendly and the kid loves it.

Muleskinner, 80's fan.. great to see you.

Today's adventure.. the same add in 2/28/69 and lots of shenanigans and friends. Dick Latvala on 2/28, "The best and most exciting G.D. show ever is without a doubt 2/28/69- Fillmore West!!!" It happens to be the last thing I listened to so of course I concur.

Winters without snow can be a bit of a drag.. and we are not getting the snowfall we did a decade ago here. ..but it's been snowing pretty continuously for a few days and winter fun is in full swing. Speaking of Swing.. might as well get another listen while it still has that new car smell.

Looks as though tomorrow will be pretty much the same.

Finally.. really enjoyed that Bickershaw partial video.. more for the interview with Jerry than the clip of Mr. Charlie. I am somewhat convinced the shots of the band do not sync up with them playing Mr. Charlie, but I could be wrong. Still.. cool and good to hear there are clips from Paris too.. I have never heard of those.

The kind folks here put Bickershaw into focus for me about a year ago, I think it was mhammond and VGuy72 mentioning it on the same thread, same time. That show is a monster, an absolute classic.

Have a good weekend fellow freaks.. be kind, have fun, dance a little jig and hopefully our collective glass is more than half full. Play Dead!

While we are on the subject of grainy videos..

I am pretty sure the video and sound are synced up as well as you can do it for this one. The emotional content Garcia yields towards the end of the jam is something to see..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTbpEH2PCKU&list=RDm0vAqnq1vW0&index=13

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....any other heads out there that love comics, and love the movies? I know you're out there. My Spider Sense is tingling. I know a few of you that do. It's High Time someone brought it up. Excelsior!!

I like me some comics also, mostly a DC man back in my youth. Bats is still my man. I guess I only really knew of the DC Captain Marvel. So I was surprised to see a female Captain from Marvel comics. I always liked the segment with Billy Batson in the crossover "Kingdom Come" where he comes back from brain washing and remembers his magic word,,,, shazam, shazam, SHAZAM! and he flies past Superman like he's standing still.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

....I give it an 8.6. My son said a solid 8.0. It's a grate time to be alive when you get not only awesome sounding Dead releases, but also live action superhero movies twelve year old me could only imagine about. Neither one ever gets old.
And yes Dennis. I'm all over Shazam. I remember the tv show from the 70's. Looks promising.

I enjoyed looking at that, too. Pity there isn't more of it. Very intriguing, those people jumping off scaffolding into a huge tub a water. Funny what passed for entertainment then. Very different from the last festival I went too-even that was 20 years ago!-the world festival known as Womad. All sorts of shops and food and stages to wander about and look at. In the 70s there was the one stage, and....nothing much else. Apart from people jumping into large tubs of water, obviously.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Possibly the coldest, muddiest festival ever. Matters were only made worse when, after the diving was over, the diving tub was emptied by simply pulling the plug where it was, thereby flooding the already muddy area in front of the stage.
I am also not sure that the Dead were playing what you are hearing on the video. Not a big problem.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/417945-was-jerry-garcia-a-ga-hor…
....just when you thought he couldn't be cooler. If I had Jim's John Deere time machine, I would go back and shake Jerry's hand, and grasp it, and say thank you. Thank you Jerry. When I'm down and out, which occurs every now and then, your guitar brings me up, and steals my face.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Glad to hear of your replacement disc results for DaP 28 Icecrmcnkid. Unfortunately I received my replacement disc 3 and it was another skipper. My CD player plays literally hundreds of other CD's with no issue, but not DaP 28 disc 1 or 3. Since there was no replacement for disc 1 even provided, I have lost all hope of having a functional copy of DaP 28 at this point, kind of sucks as I really dug the release, just was hoping for a copy that didn't skip. Now I'm just hoping for part of my 2018 subscription to be refunded so I'm not stuck paying for a release with skips on 2/3 discs.

I was rather amused by this also. I was considering it for a second career until Daverock sobered me up that decision...
Was listening to a little Jerry and Merl today.. Lion's Share. Never gets old...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Charlie3

This is the replacement of the replacement.
I also got a CD3 skipper during the first round of replacements. This is the new and improved CD3 replacement 2.0.
You probably should contact Marye if you don’t get a CD1 replacement also.

I assume you got the email about CD3 weeks ago, but here it is in case you didn’t.

—————————— (~):}=

Update On Dave’s Picks Vol. 28 Disc 3 Replacement

Regarding the reported skipping issue on disc 3, of Dave’s Picks Volume 28, we have widened the scope of the players that we were using to test the discs.
Subsequently, we encountered the same skipping issue that has been reported, on some (but not all) of the players that we used for testing.
A review of the source file revealed no skipping on the track (“Let It Grow” track 4) and the issue has been determined to have occurred in the manufacturing process.
We are currently working with our manufacturer to produce corrected replacement discs as quickly as possible.
We do not currently have an estimate as to when they will be available, but we will update you on our progress as soon as we can.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
Dr. Rhino
Rhino/Dead.net Customer Service

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Just saw your post on the DaP28 site.
I thought you were referring to your first replacement.

They need to send you a new complete DaP28.

Curious what brand of CD player you have, and whether your discs skip on other players. Is the skip still there if you make a HD copy and then burn a CD-R?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....what is, The Grateful Dead. Thank you Alex Trebeck, for making me feel stupid for decades. Wishing him the best, but the diagnosis is grim. Cancer sucks.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The whole thing feels like some sort of cosmic joke at this point, I actually checked twice as I couldn't believe this one skipped as well. You are correct, three sets of skipping replacements. My player is a basic Sony CDP CE-500 and it appears to play all of my other hundreds of discs just fine, new and old. If it wasn't for the fact that every other disc that I have played on the machine, before and after DaP 28, plays without error, I would wonder about the machine. The most recent replacement did appear to have some sort of glue like material on the playing surface of the disc, but it will not wipe off. I haven't gotten around to trying any cleaners. At this point I've kind of moved on from that release and am just feeling fortunate that I didn't have any trouble with DaP29. At this point I'm as much interested in understanding what the issue is as much as having a working copy of DaP28.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....when people said CD's had a twenty year shelf life? My copy of Dark Side of the Moon begs to differ. First CD I ever bought, along with Sgt. Peppers and Yes's 90215.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...Dicks Pick#23 is still playing on my CD player!
Disc #3 is primo!!! Love it. ;)
Very beautiful song/performance! ‘Sing Me Back Home’, perfect song on this “cold rain & snow” Sunday. Have a grateful day everyone.
:)

...Last 5 - all vinyl Versions. ; )
‘Between the Buttons’ R.S.
‘Gypsy Cowboy’ NRPS
‘Jumping the Gunne’ Jo Jo Gunne
‘HOOTEROLL’ Wales & Garcia
‘Yer’ Album’ The James Gang featuring Joe Walsh!
; )

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I have quite a few unopened Dave's, among other GD..net, cds and am fearing a whole lot of skipping discs and a long pain-in-the-neck replacement process. If you're wondering why they remain unopened it is "saving for a rainy day" syndrome due to going through tough times. As better life's weather arrives it will be Christmas Presents to myself . . .. You know how it is?

Marye I may be knocking on your door for assistance.

I did, however, have one skipping disc with May 77 part 2 and had an easy time with customer service getting a replacement at that time. It took quite a while to arrive but arrive it did and it was just exactly perfect.

So I will think positive and have perfectly playing discs for my collection which helps lift my spirits through thick and thin. I just glanced at the time which says 1:11 - angel numbers! Jerry, Keith, Ron is that you?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Deadegad, I wouldn't worry too much about skips, DaP28 was the exception. Other than that release the only problem that I had with discs was one disc in the PNW box, but that disc was replaced with a working copy without difficulty, and I have the vast majority of dead box sets and DaP releases.

Love seeing the Last 5's popping up, gives me some ideas of things to spin. Been a while since I listened to that excellent Omaha show from the July '78 box and even longer since I listened to Hooteroll, but I suspect that may change in the near future.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I can't find any info published on Dave's Picks 30, regarding whether or not both the early AND late shows are going to be included. Clearly the late show on the 2nd is included, going by the songs that were revealed in the Dead newsletter where DaP 30 was announced. And then the bonus stuff from Jan 3 - same question - they announced Dancin' and Alligator would be on the release, and those songs appear to be split between the early and late shows on the 3rd.

Stumbled across some video footage from 8/30/70. Had no idea it existed. The audio / video is mediocre, and the video production effects are pretty annoying in spots - but there is so little film of the band from this early period I thought I would post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OWi1g8Xz5s

Last 5

Dick's Picks 16 - This was my second Grateful Dead CD, after Rockin' The Rhein. I find this to be somewhat of a cult classic among Dead shows. I don't recall seeing it ever being mentioned in the "best shows" lists that are published in articles from time to time, but most everyone HERE knows and loves this one.

Road Trips Denver '73

Download Series (Family Dog) 2/4/70

2/9/73

Dave's Picks 22

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My final Grateful Dead concert. It was indeed a very fine time. Listened to 30 Trips copy on 24th anniversary. Was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded. Visions of Johanna!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Thank you!!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Grateful Dead Portland, OR 5/19/74 (Love the box!)
Terry Reid-Seed of Memory
Love-Forever Changes
Roy Buchanan-Roy Buchanan/Second Album
Judas Priest-Unleashed in the East

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Last two nights I viewed the Dead & Co Summer Tour finale at Boulder Co last July. Excellent show.
HLH 4/26/72 (the box version)
30Trips 67
Dave's 29 - Wow
Seattle 5/21/74 - I also love the box-give me more 73 74
Dick's 36 Phily 9/21/72 Great release, love that DS>Dew. I've been slowly listening through the Dick's series, I guess I have to start all over!!
50th anniversary Kinks Village Green Preservation Society

Got to see it in theater
Had free tickets for a preview, but it was fullup

We snuck into BR

The concert stuff at the end was stupendous

Good sound

driving UberEats yesterday (EZ money)

get an order to pick up in West Seattle
gotta deal with closed streets due to farmers' market
grump grump
as I approach the restaurant there is a street musician playing guitar and singing "LAST FAIR DEAL IN THE COUNTRYYYYYY", with a couple of preschoolers dancing in front of him
no more grumps

very cool

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Have you ever visited the wall of gum, down by the market?

Hey Man, funny....my very first CD ever was ALSO Yes 90125.

Weird! And yes, it still plays flawlessly. That must have been circa 1989 or so....

Oh and I also saw captain Marvel with my nearly 5-year old son over the weekend and we both loved it. Make sure to sit through the full credits as usual.

And Muleskinner....I actually went and checked out those pics you posted and BAM, there it was...the bumper car that was my life-line! Totally eerie and haunting....

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

yes

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Did you know the troll has a mustache now?

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I don't know. I like to own my music on hardware. I don't understand how record sales are even tracked anymore. Or how artists collect royalties. Everything is just copied for free or propagated over subscription channels. Is it a trade-off for exposure? You get your songs out there and people start to come pay a zillion dollars for concert tickets? I think I like the old system better. It's incredible how much it costs to see your favorite band anymore. Lucky for me I've seen everybody I care about a lot of times while tickets were still reasonably priced. Frickin' ridiculous now. And get off my goddam lawn.

I still love my CDs. While 90125 was in my first 10 (along with The Grand Illusion and The Wall), my first was Rush Power Windows. Now that was a great one to have on CD, because it was also recorded on digital audio tape, so there was never any analog tape hiss watering down the sound. The production on it was outstanding too. Lots of stereo movement with sound effects, crisp guitar washes, poppy bass, and smooth synthesizer integration (it was during their heavy keyboard phase, which, although not their most revered period, resulted in a solid album that sounded great on compact disc. Sounds as good today as it did the first day I played it. Probably better because I have a better stereo system now.

The other thing I was going to say about CDs is you have the 5.1 surround sound capability which I've never heard of for streaming. The Yes back catalog CDs with 5.1 remixes by Steve Wilson are incredible. Same goes for Rush 2112.

So what's the deal - is the early show being released for Dave's Picks 30? Someone has to know the answer. Lemieux hasn't responded to my email. I think he's pissed at me over a bar bill I stuck him with in a VIP box at Dead and Co in Philly. Domestic beer and booze was free, but imports were billable. Him being Canadian, it was Molson and Crimson Rye all night. Gordies - sheesh. The Molson phase went well, but it was all downhill once we got into that 66. Every time he got midway through his drink, he would point at the band, hold up his glass, and holler "half a cup of Rock and Rye!!" I knew if I didn't get him away from that rotten stuff soon it was going to be a long night in the tank. Anticipating the hangover of a lifetime, I sparked up a joint - probably not the best idea. I actually saw the security folks coming at us like a slow motion movie scene, parting people out of their way as they approached. I nudged him and nodded toward the impending danger. I told him it was time to cut loose, but he was having none if it. During his opening remarks with that gaggle of yellow-shirted security ducks, you would have thought he was the Ambassador of Canada himself; but alas, the lesson here was that your audience must be equally plied to receive a diplomatic envoy of his condition. I did not listen to their rebuttal long before slipping away myself, (joint in hand I might add). We never caught up that night, but I did check out all of the local precincts in hopes of finding him. I can only assume at this point that he received a strong reprimand and a gargantuan bar tab. What can I say - big money goes around the world. So anyway, I'm not expecting a reply to my email anytime soon, on whether or not the early show is included in Volume 30.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Hey I concur, Kiethfan I can't believe how pricey concert tickets are. I saw all my bands, especially of course, the boys, when tickets were reasonable, thank goodness. I really feel for kids, and probably their parents, who have to shell out big bucks to hear and experience a concert of their fav band.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html