• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

I have been delighted recently to dig in deeply with some favorite early 1981 shows.

In particular the excellent Glassberg recordings and the matrix releases utilizing them.

The MSG shows from 3/9 and 3/10 a truly remarkable and the Glassberg audience tapes are equally so.

Also check out the matrix releases using Glassberg's tapes for the Uptown Theatre run: 2/26,27 and 28.

I love the sound of these tapes!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

...I think I am indeed on Sixtus' Picks XII at this point....they just haven't seen "the release" via the interwebs. In fact, my man Chastason (oh mighty keeper of said server) has been MIA for quite some time; last I heard he headed out into the Cambodian bush to film a documentary and he's never been heard from since. I jest, but in fact it's been a while since I've had a sighting. This doesn't mean he's not lurking like the rest....

As for Box Speculations, gimme something with a round, silvery disc inside with Grateful Dead music on it, and some cool artwork, and I'm a happy camper.

Sixtus

JIM “el chapo” MD: 😃 careful down there!

H.F.; speculation perhaps, but your logical deduction is sound. Mr Spock would approve “live long and have a prosperous dead collection” mi amigo.

Early 71; this is perhaps another of those eras I need more exposure too? Ironically Skull Fuck was a major influence on my early indoctrination, but years later with Ladies and gents and some of the other shows I’ve heard I don’t recall being blown away? I’ll have to listen up? I’ve come around big time to later 71 (thanks Doc! Hope your well if your still lurking?), but not sure about early 71?

81: wade, check out 3/13/81, this one is way under the radar. Was there in the first row but hadn’t recalled thinking it was that great until some what recently when I finally got around to checking it out....”goes to show, you don’t ever know...” 5/17/81 is another smoking show that no one seems to know about...

I know I will forget a couple.. I think for box sets, they set the bar pretty high for sound quality.. the obvious choices to come seem to be:

- Ark '69
- Capitol Theatre, Portchester '71
- Fall '72
- Summer '73
- RFK '73
- Fall '73

(not sure if they can put together anything from '74 that's box centric or not??)

- Palladium '77
- Beacon '77 (perhaps to be combined as NYC '77)
- Warfield/Radio City '80 (not likely, I don't think they have the material)
- Alaska '80??
- Fall '89
- 91 and beyond, the DAT recordings
- Greek Box
- New Years Box
- Palo Alto Box
- Alpine Box
- 3/4, 5, 6 & 7/69 Fillmore West Multi-Tracks (the other FW 69)
- Europe 73 the complete recordings

Did I leave something off?? You could almost attach a random number to each one and release them in order, lowest to highest one per year. Your guess is as good as mine.

I do recall when the missing reels were recovered, I had a back and forth email chain with Lemieux and specifically asked if there were any downright surprises, shows we did not have, set lists do not circulate and the like.. he said "No, nothing we did not know existed or did not circulate.. he did say some of the stuff recovered, especially from '71 and '72 is of much higher quality that what does circulate." That corresponds to some of the recent releases like 11/17/71 and 8/25/72.

As for the tunnel we are digging under the vault.. we had lots of people working on it; Zuckfun, wjonjd, OneMan, rdevil, GussWest, dantian, .5 mi from tuscon, Syracuse78.. and none of them are replying to PMs or post anymore. We can only assume that Rhino is on to us, which should only strengthen our resolve.. They must have a double, top secret new weapon.. Hippie Kryptonite or something and a dungeon next to the vault where they are keeping our old friends.

Agree, Sixtus.. the recent vibe is civil and pleasant. well.. back to my other full time job, keeping hippies off my lawn.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

So I'm going thru the setlists for that hot period in Sept '72 and notice pretty frequent He's Gone>Truckin'>Other One across a lot of unreleased shows. Might be a tad repetitive to release them together. Dave likes to do boxes with consecutive shows and, recently, with a geographic focus. Then it hit me:

The Grateful Dead in Texas '72! A unique geographical focus that's downright jarring to contemplate, with four unreleased shows. And the setlists for those shows are mighty strong:

11-19-72, Houston: Dark Star>Weather Report Suite>Dark Star>Mississippi Half-Step

11-22-72, Austin: He's Gone>Truckin'>Other One (plus 1st set Candyman)

11-24-72, Dallas: Not Fade>Goin' Down the Road

11-26-72, San Antonio: Dark Star>Me & Bobby Magee

Four shows, 12 discs, what's not to love?

I will try to "let it go." No promises!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

To take off on Jim, MD (where DID you get your medical degree, Jim?)............

We've been mighty focused on the returned Betty Boards because they're great, they are many, and they have formed the bulk of all releases for 2-3 years.

But recall that Mtn Girl also returned a batch of tapes and it was said at that time that there WERE surprises among them. I can't say whether anything has been released from that batch, excepting 4-18-70 tape of "Mickey Hart & the Heartbeats/Bobby Ace" at the Family Dog, which provided an hour-plus of acoustic material by the whole band. The highlight was (6) songs by Pigpen. This fall 2013 release quickly followed the tapes' recovery.

Lemiuex in the liner notes said: "Imagine our surprise when, in mid-2013, M.G. called to say she had a few reels of Grateful Dead shows from 1970 and 1971 from Jerry's own stash. A quick listing revealed performances that we'd never heard or even knew had been recorded."

So far, I know only of the 4-18-70 release from this stash. Though I'm curious whether the DaP 30 liner notes will state that 1/2 and 1/3 1970 were from the M.G. stash as well.

Now I'm just raving. Thankfully, this is a safe space for that! Guess it's March and I'm itchy to hit the backcountry with a fresh batch of GD 'tapes' at my disposal. The 6-7 hour drives are perfect opportunities for full shows.............

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Funny - I always assumed he was from Maryland rather than a doctor. Perhaps a doctor from Maryland then?

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by wadeocu

From the Owsley school of medicine, of course. I seem to recall a few of you were in my class.. but only seemed to show up for the tests. Must be a bright bunch..

Your feelings about early 1971 are almost exactly the same as mine. I thought Skull and Roses was great when I first got it-about 1977-but as the decades have gone by, and I have heard more and more shows, this album and the era it comes from have dropped in my estimation a bit. I've heard quite a few shows from this era that are well regarded-the Portchester run from February and the Fillmore East shows from April, for example. They all seem well played....but the real high spots seem a bit few and far between.

A different story when Keith joined in October, of course. Then we had the best of all worlds-short songs, jams-we had lift off again!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

The complete Europe’72, the complete Dick’s Picks and the complete Road Trips into my iTunes and have them tucked away neatly in a 252 gb classic iPod ...my Wife gave me an iPod touch with about half the storage of my classic and since it’s an IOS I have a bunch of audio books and podcasts in it...only have about half if the Dave’s Picks but we shall see... makes for an interesting drive to the market since the market is 85 miles away

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Well... it's not a Mexican Poncho, but not a Sears Poncho either.. I believe it's a Galician Poncho. Real enough for me.

I feel like I am a Zappa novice compared to lots here.. but Over-Nite Sensation is probably my favorite Zappa (Mothers) album. I did get to see him once in '81.. but it was a bit overwhelming in many ways. Sort of like if you only saw the GD once without enough prerequisite listening beforehand.

Still.. my fav. Zappa album. Good call Oroborous. ..and would Sixtus be caught dead in a Sears poncho anyway?

user picture

Member for

8 years

...my fav is primal Dead :)
Also been loving some 1979 recently, haven’t seen any posts concerning this era, any love people...;) There’s never been a 1979 Daves Pick either :o

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I listened to Eel 89 first set and 87 second set last night. Wow that 87 second set rips!
Jerry just kicks every solo. Lucky Old Sun, indeed! A really nice slow Gomorrah, too, one of my fav Hunter songs.

The 89 first set starts with drums too hot in the mix, and later gets more balanced. I look forward to the 89 second set and 87 first set tonight.

user picture

Member for

13 years

... I've been ringing the 79 bell for about 4 years. Such great stuff from that year, especially from the Fall/Winter tour. A relatively untapped goldmine for sure! Maybe 12/5/79 at the Uptown? It would be a nice 1st Shakedown Street released, and that wonderful Ship of Fools and a great He's Gone > Other One (Bobby: "we're going beg your indulgence and play another semi-slow song, but it won't stay slow forever.) Plus a rocking Alabama>GSET opener, a Dire Wolf, Cold Rain and Snow, and a super slinky-slow Althea in the first set... This show is a winner, dinner, chicken dinner!

Here's a link to the Hunter Seamons matrix for anyone who would like to check it out. Or, if you need a copy (of this matrix,) shoot me a PM.

https://archive.org/details/gd1979-12-05.mtx.seamons.112235.flac16

Peace

Saw your post further down the thread after I posted my last comment... I know that someone here was talking about an MSG 79 box set (oh wait... that may have been me.) More 79 love!

On another note, all of those box sets would be awesome! Nice list!

Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

I heard from a reliable source (a purple Dancing Bear) that the next 2 Boxes will be §\^*#:-%=.”*,
ouch! WTF ,
&’/+-#@+$]~…\§
Ouch, dammit, that ringing in my ear is back
I can’t think straight...

Ever since I went to the U.S embassy in Cuba on a tip that there were some unknown GD reels stashed in a vault in the basement there that ringing in my ear starts every time I want to tell anyone what the purple Dancing Bear told me. Then my brain short circuits and I can’t remember what the bear told me.
After extensive beer drinking I usually have a vision of the conversation with the Bear and then remember.
So, let me go crack another beer and maybe tomorrow I’ll remember.
But how do I relay the info without the ringing starting again?
Could I embed the info into a reCRAPTHCHA exam?

U.S embassy in Cuba?? Did you make contact with Bolo? Things are grim.. now my ears are ringing, someone at the door, the phone is ringing. So loud. See you at the meet place.

It's happening again....

Otis.. add 79 msg to the list as well. I enjoy late (and early) 79, but early wasn't recorded so well. My favorite besides Dec Oakland and Cape Cod (but I have a bias) might just be the Stanley though.. but it's a local venue for me and I just love the place. I think with almost all of the shows from this period (79 through 82'ish) if they can convey the master reels to something close to what it actually sounded like in the venue, pure gold. 12/26 is c'est magnifique and 12/28 is no slouch either.

Why didn't they keep Betty on the payroll? Anyone??

We definitely need more 1979. I believe only two full releases to date. Not including RT 1.1. Dick's 5 and RT 3.1 from the same tour. The RT 3.1 with the bonus disc sounds really good and the boys are on fire. Dick's 5 is from 1996, so the sound quality isn't as good as RT 3.1. Both recorded by Betty. I think she recorded for the band through 81?
Would love to see some more 1979 and 1980.
Jim, when you are done getting the hippies off your lawn please stop by and get them off my lawn!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

I know this isn't a Jerry tune and it goes way back... Frankie Lane might have done the most to bring it our attention, but lots of covers. including Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson and others.. but none like Jerry's arrangement.

If any of you haven't heard the Garcia Band's Shoreline DVD from 9/1/90.. get it. Both the Dear Prudence and Lucky Old Sun make it worth the admission price alone, and there is lots of other material there.

My favorite Lucky Old Sun was from 9/1/89 at Merriweather Post Pavilion, but I somehow doubt it was near the best ever performed.. but I have a bias.

Then again, were there any bad versions of this song? Perhaps, perhaps not.. I have not listened to the versions of this song from the newly released Eel box set.. likely tomorrow.

I believe on the bonus tracks from the Shoreline DVD the backup singers talked about Jerry in general posthumously.. with great admiration of his presence and talent. There is a tear jerking moment where they discuss Lucky Old Sun.. It's worth a listen or watch. It's been a while but recall one of them the talking about his vocal efforts on Lucky Old Sun and the amount of emotional content hey was able to convey. And when the show was over on this particular night, he was covered from head to toe with sweat and emotionally non-existent. He had given all he had to give. WowWow stuff.. gave me chills when I first saw/heard it. In fact, I might just put it on right now.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by MDJim

Betty left the band's employ sometime in the early 80s. She had dated Brent for a while, and when they broke up, she got the boot, because now she was seen as a band member's ex, and presumably that band member didn't want to run into her before/after shows.

If you dig Overnite Sensation, definitely check out Apostrophe, they are often paired together as they were recorded in the same sessions, with Overnite being a Mothers album, and Apostrophe a Zappa solo album. It opens with the ultimate silliness in Don't Eat That Yellow Snow> Nanook Rubs It> St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast> Father O'Blivion. My favorite tune is the title track which is a snippet of a, presumably, longer jam that occurred because Jack Bruce was recording in the same studio facility and popped his head in, and was asked to jam. That fuzzed out bass is music to my ears, but Zappa was on record many times as hating it, becuse he thought Bruce was "too busy". That it was a favorite among Zappa fans and was in setlists is credit to how wrong Zappa was. Ironically, Bruce was not a fan of Zappa, either, and claimed in an interview not to have played bass on it, but cello and was probably pulling the interviewer's leg. Also, the backup singers on Overnite were Tina Turner and the Ikettes, and they got paid $25 a song at Ike's insistence. They liked it, but when Ike showed up and listened, he is said to have asked, "What is this shit?!"

Eta: Cosmik Debris features the same Sears Poncho joke as Camarillo Brillo, and is just a wonderful song that gets to the core of Zappa's anti-drug stance.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Why did they ever let her go? A Travesty. ..not that I don't like Brent..

Gotta run, damned hippies are back, smoking and drinking on the front lawn.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I'm fired over the new guy? Ok fine. Good luck in the future bidding war on the old reel2reels. Now that was brilliant. lose possession of the tapes without losing track of them. Avoid any prosecution for stealing them. Make it cost a truckload to recover them.

Where is bolo in all of this new release speculation? There have been a couple posers here pretending to have inside connections (you know who you are), but bolo is the only real knowledgeable source who I've heard from. Come forth Bolo!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

16 Shows 13 Dark stars. Clark thru the ARK is my favorite. It should would put out my Dark Star low level light. 69 had so many fine Dark stars. I just hope there is enough time
Also got the EEL last night. Burning it to the work computer as we speak. Will listen in between classes and sims
Drp out

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Oureducation does Exactly that by providing a suitable and secure future. Top IAS coaching in Bangalore for IAS exam provides classes for various such aspirants at a very reasonable price and with the best faculty from the field. - more info - blog.oureducation.in/top-10-upsc-coaching-centre-bangalore

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Only two boards are in the vault, Rock for Life show, 2/17/79 and one other... I always love this time of year when we start trying to figure out the box releases!! I like all the ideas so far!! I think the two Beacon Theatre shows from June of 1976 get released together!! May of 73 box set could be cool with the 3 big weekend shows that they did. Europe 90??? I know we got one of the Zenith shows on 30 trips.... have a good day bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

That works for me. Did the firing of Betty happen before or after they stopped using the good reel-to-reel tapes for shows? It seems to happen around the same time. I don't even think she would have been able to do much with the cassettes that they use for the 80s did they even use a left and right cassette tape? or did they make the stereo mix at the board and throw it on the one tape?

On a different note, these Losers frpm Europe '72 are really good. Me and My Uncle too. This became my favorite 3 minute Dead song as soon as I realized (SPOILER ALERT) the main character killed his uncle at the end and fled with the gold. Unwise decision if you asked me. Back in the Wild West, you can never have too many allies as you made your way from Saloon to Saloon across the Midwest.

Railroad Blues is another great one from Europe 72. Jerry just rocks it out for a couple minutes, thank you very much.

Next box set? I like VI Dina of focus between late 1969 1974 that Hendrix fan brought up. If I had my way, 1972 galore. They won't go for 73 74 77 or 78. And frankly I find the 1973 shows from Pacific Northwest a track-by-track hit-or-miss party. I don't get sucked in because there are too many sound issues for me. And the band isnt quite as tight 100% like previous 73 releases. I would say there is a solid 60% good content on those three shows, and the rest falls into mediocrity on account of the sound and performance. So let's go with a 1972 box set all remaining shows!

Bolojuice Bolojuice Bolojuice. Save us from the false prophets.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

anti-heroin or cocaine I get

but even Zappa the Emperor wears no clothes...he was hooooooooooked on nicotine.

some line i heard from FZ: "tobacco is my favorite vegetable"

everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Tobacco was it, and, smart as he was, he rejected the link between smoking and cancer. But the guy was even anti-pot, and forbid his band from indulging. Of course, I'm sure most of them were able to sneak some drugs and try to maintain around him, it was the 60s-80s, after all.

The last tour with reel to reels was December 1981, from which DaP 20 emanates, but Healy recorded that one. Unless somebody directly asks Betty when she and Brent broke up, we'll probably never know for sure, and who knows if she would even remember exactly which tour was her last. Which is funny, given the first part of my post, and the likelihood that substances may cloud her memory on times and events.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

do check out 3/9/81

3/10/81 was one of the first shows I got way back in 82
never heard 3/9/81 except for some on GDHour

I got a copy of 3/9/81 on disc recently

wowzers. a few songs into the first set and the band in ON.

MSG81: I'd buy it pronto tonto.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Zappa - check out You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2 - Helsinki Concert. I'd send you a copy but my copy is missing and the second disc is missing on my computer <uggghh>. But that first disc with Inca Roads and RNDZL and add to that Ruth on vibes great live performance.

Already down a few days but will try to step it up and do the Spring90 Challenge which quickly morphs into Europe 72 and Spring 77 oh my...

Anyone check out that new Citi ad that has that attractive blonde get a small tab of paper and goes from getting her dry cleaning to heading to a Citi hall to see a show with the music drop drop ("See what I drop drop") - wonder if she's dropping the contents of that small piece of paper and that's why the concert scene has the lighting look pixellated - reminds me of post Oxford 88 night one when I went into a small convenience store on the walk back to our campsite to see someone's face turn into little postage stamps and melt away...

Anyone know if the RSD Warfield release a Reckoning re-issue or are the songs selected from other nights and different songs? The limited songs listed on the RSD page are engrained in my mind from Reckoning and my daughter listens to those versions Ripple and Birdsong every night on her bedtime playlist.

Looking forward to my semi annual visit with VGuy!

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I was wondering if anyone had images of the covers for this wonderful box set. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by stoltzfus

...I really love Dicks Picks #5, the first in the series being a complete show(I prefer complete shows vs compilations), plus the first release with Brent on board, it was a benefit Show for the Seva Foundation, an organization started by Ram Dass and Wavy Gravy. Bob Weir is still on the advisory board. The set-list is great in my likings.
This description on Amazon made me smile...
Description:
“By the end of the 1970s, the Dead had modified their nuanced, multifaceted sound and had become much more of a rock & roll band again. What they lost in subtlety, they made up for with aggression. This 1979 show comes from their annual year-end run in Oakland and features recent addition Brent Mydland on keyboards, not to mention a near-metal edge. Jerry Garcia often sounds like Chuck Berry gone mad (well, madder); the band covers three Berry tunes as if to illustrate the point. However, this one was a prototypical "Bobby show," with Garcia struggling at times to keep up with the rest of the band, although he does seem spurred on by Weir in many spots. Raw, angry, and frayed, Volume Five sports the Dead at their roughest. “--Marc Greilsamer

*Track listing -

Disc: 1
Cold Rain & Snow
C.C. Rider
Dire Wolf
Me & My Uncle
Big River
Brown Eyed Women
New Minglewood Blues
Friend Of The Devil
Looks Like Rain
Alabama Getaway
Promised Land

Disc: 2
Uncle John's Band
Estimated Prophet
Jam 1
He's Gone
The Other One
Drums

Disc: 3
Drums
Jam 2
Not Fade Away
Brokedown Palace
Around & Around
Johnny B. Goode
Shakedown Street
Uncle John's Band
....I’d love a new 1979 release in any form, especially for the Dave Pick series... I also enjoyed the Road Trips Releases of 1979, but for whatever the reason may be I don’t hear much talk about this mysterious era in the Grateful Dead’s recording history... :) I also believe Betty still remembers and has memories she still could share on 1979.
Today I listened to the ‘Jones Gang’ , Daves Pick #12, Hamilton NY Nov. 4th 1977 with the Primo Filler from 11/2/77 Toronto, Ontario ‘Seneca College Field House’ !!! A beautiful ‘They Love each Other’, ‘Me & My Uncle >> Big River and a sweet ‘Candyman’ mid CD on Disc 3. And a nice ‘ Scarlet >>Fire’ then finally one of my favorite ‘Terrapin Station’s’ from 1977 to bring the CD to an end. I remember someone bring up this show recently on the board so I decided to give it another listen. Thank you for who ever that was.
And tonight for a special treat from a beautiful friend, ‘ The Winterland 1973 Box Set, starting from beginning to end or whenever I fall asleep, lol ha ha...thank you my dear friend ; )
Have a grateful night folks! Peace be with you all! :) Rock on brothers & sisters the music never stops!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Dark Side
DP 11 9/27/72
A really good Scarlet>Fire from early '80's probably '80 or '81 (it was a past selection from the Taper's Section
little bit a Dick Dale
that Shakedown trailer on the homepage

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Eel x 3
Trivium - The Sin and the Sentence
Trey Anastasio Band - TAB Live at the Fox Theater, Oakland 11.3-4.17....

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Bought Zappa “We Were Only In It for The Money” earlier today......make a visit here tonight, and what do ya know....Zappa is on the board.....Also bought Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, which has excellent sound, and Tedeschi Trucks Band, Signs, which is big, Bluesy and Beautiful!!!

Really enjoying all of the positive interaction here....Cheers to you all Dead People!

Oroborous...my dragon looks like your dragon, but does not eat it’s tail!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

Great album. It always seems to be referred to as a parody of Sergeant Pepper, on account of its cover, but it doesn't sound anything like that to me. Every track works. Its the only one I do like, that he- Zappa- was involved in, having said that-but to me its right up with there with the best psych albums to come out of America in the late 60s.

Thinking of The Dead in 1979-specifically the December show that Lovemygirl highlights, one of the things I liked most about that show, and shows at that time, was the second set jams. They really do sound as though they are on the cusp of a new era-and Brent plays a huge part in adding to the unpredictability. There is a real experimental edge to the jams Maybe one of the last times they really sounded as though they didn't know where they were going-but were enjoying the ride anyway. Purely subjective, obviously.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

goes out to CaseyJanes for one of the better new avatars in a long time/

P.S. Anybody ever get an owl hooting right at the end of a Lazy Lighning/Supplication? It's a particularly good effect if the timing is right (and the moon is big)

P.S.S. Busses

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html