• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Listen to Dick's 5 and than listen to RT 3.1. The sound quality difference should blow you away. They definitely continue to improve their process. RT 3.1 is my favorite 1979 release to date.

Looks like we will have the Dave's 30 announcement before we hear any news on 2019 box set.

I know I was totally taken off guard with the PNW box. Even though Bolo gave us the clues, Seven!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

When Dick's Pick's Five came out, I was still feeling my way around eras outside of the early 70's but I was totally blown away by that Disc 2...the first half of the second sets just churns, man. It's sooooo good. And then to get that Shakedown > Uncle John's Reprise at the end is like the best giant jam sammy ever.

As for today's Spring '90 (first Hamilton, Ontario show), I am reminded that this is an interesting one for sure and I like it especially the second set. With a gnarly Victim in the first set dissolving into a rare Standing on the Moon that then dumps into a rompin' Promised Land, there are some cool nuances and mood changes to experience. And of course this show starts out with the Half-Step we all know and love from Without A Net. This second set though is awesome especially the top half, with a seemingly random combo of Hey Pocky Way > Crazy Fingers > Cumberland> Estimated > He's Gone. It's all tight and inspired. And as He's Gone is ending, there are majestic bells that probably Mickey is playing, and it sounds like Christmas, or Church, or something....Godly...it caught me totally off guard and was one of those 'moments'....

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Did anyone get the bonus disc with the new JGB EEL release? This was the first disc I listened to when it arrived and once again the bonus disc is better or close to better than the release.

...here’s to a ‘grateful’ Thursday everyone, smile smile smile! I sure need some more heavy but intimate doses of the dead today, I’m suffering terribly today with pain. Damn weather. ‘Cold, Rain & no snow, just that damp wet cold to the bone chill. I’m trying to stay positive so im going to grab ‘Daves Pick #10’ Thelma, LA. Dec. 12th 1969. Love this Pick. I remember when it was first released. The Art work is just Perfect for my likings. The highlight being PigPen the man himself. When he performs ‘Easy Wind’, the third song of the nite, his vocals are PRIMO, I mean it, it’s just perfect in every way. God bless our godfather lol Owsley Stanley for his excellent recording of this intimate performance in LA !!!
Pigpen is the star in this show and Jerry Garcia’s playing is on fire! The group as a whole All shine brightly on this release/recording. Just listen to Pigpen doing primo performances of’Hard to Handle’, ‘Turn on your Lovelight’, oh yeah :) a grand ‘Good Loving’ ‘I’m a King Bee’! I love my Pigpen folks, sorry for rambling. Another reason why I love this show is the LOCATION and THE YEAR 1969 part of a primo stash of other unreleased performances. ‘Thelma’ was a theater on Sunset strip in Los Angeles right next-door to a club called the ‘London Fog’ where the Doors were once the house band before being fired and then ending up at the ‘whiskey a go-go’.
So it’s a very Internet recording you can hear soft applause from the audience during the performance the recording definitely gives off the feeling of the space contained on that little 50 foot stage. Very grateful for this release, one of my favorite in the Daves Picks Series... :)
Oh yeah, I’m sorry, here is the set-list you asked for BOBLOPES about the Grateful Dead RSD release. Hope it helps answer your question. :)
I gotta rest, have a grateful day everybody God bless and peace be with you all and smile smile smile!!! :) :) :)

Disc1
1 Dire Wolf (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
2 Dark Hollow (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
3 I’ve Been All Around This World (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
4 Cassidy (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
5 China Doll (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
6 On The Road Again (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
7 Bird Song (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
8 The Race Is On (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
9 Oh Babe, It Ain’t No Lie (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
10 Ripple (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/9/80)
Disc 2
1 On The Road Again (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
2 It Must Have Been The Roses (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
3 Monkey And The Engineer (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
4 Jack-A-Roe (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
5 Dark Hollow (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
6 To Lay Me Down (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
7 Heaven Help The Fool (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
8 Bird Song (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)
9 Ripple (Warfield, San Francisco, CA 10/10/80)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Hope that the Hendrix Family gives permission for the Foxey Lady Jam to be included.....
It would be a shame for that to be cut out.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

https://www.jambase.com/article/chicago-cubs-grateful-dead-night-2019-v…

The Chicago Cubs will again host a Grateful Dead Night when they take on the Los Angeles Dodgers at Wrigley Field on April 24. The National League Major League Baseball team partnered with Third Man Pressing to offer ticket purchasers a limited edition 7-inch vinyl record featuring two live Grateful Dead recordings.

The special ticket offer comes with admission to the game as well as a copy of the special vinyl record pressed at Jack White’s Third Man Pressing in Detroit, Michigan. Side A is the Grateful Dead’s performance of “Brown-Eyed Women” at Chicago’s Auditorium Theatre on May 13, 1977, and Side B is the Dead’s version of “Cumberland Blues” from the same venue on October 22, 1971.

The 2019 Chicago Cubs Grateful Dead Night will also present a pregame concert by Mr. Blotto. The team will donate a portion of the proceeds from Grateful Dead Night to the band’s Rex Foundation charitable organization. The Cubs first held a Grateful Dead Night at Wrigley Field during the 2018 season.
“Play Ball everybody”!!! ; )
...Here is the cover art for the limited 7” vinyl ;)
https://www.mlb.com/cubs/tickets/specials/grateful-dead-night

...if the Dead were to offer/sell a limited amount of the ‘non-numbered’ or ‘Numbered’ for a Dead.net exclusive release for this April 13Th *RSD 2CD ‘Warfield1980 acoustic sets’ would any of You members here on the board buy it? I haven’t really heard or read any positive feedback from the Dead community. I don’t know but I’m intrigued with the Dead’s Acoustic sets and performances. I loved the “heartbreakers or something” with the 6 solo pigpen songs ending the CD. I even loved the artwork! dead.net sold exclusively through their website and record store day ! Im grateful I have a copy in my collection when it was first made available to me! Grateful Deadhead : ) I love it All.
How many would you pre- order right now?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Phew, y’all been busy. Great stuff, so of course I’ve been too busy to play! That’s because I finally got at least a small Stereo and the mighty YFS ref 3 server up and running, woooooooooo-hooooooooooooo! Tuneless Six long months finally over.
JIM/ Lucky old Sun; one of my favorite Jerry tunes. Yes I know it’s and old classic covered by many, but they did such an amazing job, especially Melvin!, that it’s a Jerry tune in my minds eye...Was fortunate to be at those 89 Merriweather shows so I’m biased also. In fact after your post that was one of the first things I played in the new house...
ZAPPA; also totally a novice but have Apostrophe and O.N.S. and love those albums. “Give me, your dirty love, just like that tacky little pamphlet in your daddy’s bottom drawer” lol. A lot of his stuff never really resonated with me? Perhaps not enough quality listening....perhaps some too silly. The silliness is one reason I’m not a huge Phish fan...ironic that a dude who was so anti drug was so into the worst one?
4/69 BOX; bring dat shit!!!
BOBT/early 79; you mentioned that there are unfortunately only only two early 79 shows in the vault “Rock for Life and one other...” would you or anyone else know what the other is?
SIXTUS; tanks for the awesome Healy article...always been a big fan and never get to hear much from him...
LAST 4/5; Dread Zepplin, DP 22, Moondance, and JGB 9/1+2/89.
X FACTOR; so finally fire up the server last night and what starts up.....the Song Moondance just as a huge orange full moon pops up over the mountains!!
CaseyJanes; glad to see “you crawled across the floor to take another shot” and made it back ok lol., and no that is not my dog, that’s actually me! Several lifetimes ago I got tired of the whole reptilian thing so came back as that dog! Now if only I could catch this dam tail!!!
SIXTUS; I remember diggin that 3/21/90 show, and as you mention especially that bad ass first set Victim. They had that rear surround array in those days and man that night they used it really well, especially good down on the floor.
IMHO, Pretty much that whole tour is awesome....
ROAD TRIPS 3.3; anyone heard anything about this getting rereleased soon? Have never heard this one but I’m getting psyched for this as well as DaP 30. Waiting on a real copy of DP 4 too. Yet another killer D.S.on that one!
Early 70 another new itch to scratch.

Ok, back to work....webinar on fiber and video distribution.....sort a like those film strips back in the sixties in grade school 😉

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Hopefully they won't object to the Foxey Lady jam at The Ark show. If they do, it might be appropriate to mention that Voodoo Chile includes Muddy Waters riffs. Then where would we be.

You should definitely pick up a copy of Reckoning to wet your whistle. I had the original one, not the rereleased expanded edition. Back when there were very limited live releases (LiveDead, E'72 triple album, Bear's Choice) the Dead released Dead Set and Reckoning. These two live albums were culled from a run of shows at the Warfield in SF and Radio City Music Hall in NYC - Dead Set was songs from the electric sets and Reckoning was from the acoustic set. I owned both since college and I'd say I played Reckoning a hundreds of times more than dead set, then again, I was not in the know regarding tape trading...

So yes I am very psyched and plan to get both the LP and CD. Don't understand the limited copies of the CD...

has its charms.

it's not high on my "gotta listen again" list, though

and for the 100th time...I AM NOT A FLIPPIN' ROBOT!

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

In reply to by stoltzfus

... I have the original release of ‘Reckoning’ & ‘Dead Set’, and I enjoyed them very much when they were first issued and believe it or not I occasionally still re-play them here and there and they both still make me smile and dance ; )
Have a grateful day folks!

A ton of memories for me on this one. Bought the tape first, than the CD when those came to the market. Probably wore out the CD, played it thousands of time growing up. Still have the For the Faithful album. The sound quality on dead set is cream of the crop. Probably still one of my favorite Friend of the Devil's and love that Sampson. Bought the remastered and expanded dead set in 2007. Love CD 2 with the Shakedown, Jack Straw and High Time, really good stuff. So, that leads me to believe they have more in the Vault from that famous fall run.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Stoltzy - perhaps you should check out the 'reissued Dead Set' that came with one of the first big boxes....it has a second disc that actually delivers on some more of the 'good stuff' with some longer songs and jams. Admittedly this era is a little lighter on the jamming but the original offering was still a pretty good intro record for me back in the day (I definitely loved the bi-fold album cover that would create the back-to-back skeletons overlooking NYC and SF). That disc two rundown:

Disc: 2
1. Let It Grow (Live Radio City Music Hall New York City Oct., 1980)
2. Sugaree (Live Radio City Music Hall Oct., 1980)
3. C.C. Rider (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, Ca. Oct. 1980)
4. Row Jimmy (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco,CA Oct., 1980)
5. Lazy Lightning (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco,CA Oct., 1980)
6. Supplication (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco,CA Oct., 1980)
7. High Time (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco,CA Oct., 1980)
8. Jack Straw (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco,CA Oct., 1980)
9. Shakedown Street (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco,CA Oct., 1980)
10. Not Fade Away (Live Warfield Theatre, San Francisco,CA Oct., 1980)

Happy Friday Deadfreaks.
Sixtus

P.S. Oops looks like deadvikes beat me to it below....as they say...collective consciousness....

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I picked up both of these shortly after Rockin the Rhein came out. Dead-set was already in its extended two disc format. I regard these two as two peas in a pod. I love both of the Jack Straws. I've spent many a drive playing them back-to-back trying to figure out which one is better. I went with Nassau, only because Franklin's Tower erupts right after it. The Nassau Franklin's was my first listening of that song, and man, what a doozy. I listened to it for several years before I ever heard a 70's version of it. The 70s versions seemed slow and alien to me at first, but they eventually grew on me. Still, Jerry really carries the day at Nassau. I love the extended soloing as well as the attention Jerry gives to the main tower riff (with high distortion and crunchy tone). Obviously the sound quality is great on both of these releases, and Jerry's Voice still sounds great. Even further, the setlist expands quite a bit from where they were two years prior.

Best of all, Go To Nassau was one of four that my uncle copied for me when I was first getting Into the Dead. The other ones were a ladies and gentlemen, dozin at the Knick, and shit... What was the fourth one... I'll have to think about that, because now it's driving me crazy. I've been sitting in the car outside of work typing when I should really be going in. TGIF. Maybe I'll get laid tonight. Whoa this isnt stream-of-consciousness get back in there.

Oh, and my uncle has a huge poster of the Dead set album cover, I'm talking to complete gatefold. He owns some apartments that he rents out and somebody left it behind. Typical freaks. This is one of my favorite Grateful Dead album covers.

Lovemygirl - have a great day dude.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Simply because it's newer and dead set, go to Nassau have been out since forever.. I find myself reaching for Dave's Picks 8, 11/30/1980 at the Fox when I want an 80's show. It's still fresh and sounds remarkable for the period.

I would like to see a couple more from this year.

Edit: Lakeland, two nights earlier was no slouch either. I feel like I am forgetting something??? :D

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yeah, like Bob said, back then there wasn’t much “official” live stuff available so when those came out it was a big deal for some of us. My teenage brain couldn’t get enough of that, and like you, played it constantly. It was like a sweet bootleg, only way better (especially the stellar quality). Now we’re so spoiled that those seem sorta mediocre...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by MDJim

Like I told ya, what i said...yeah, always thought they were consciously playing it some what safe compared to much else of that year—to get good album takes. The albums are great, but I agree that DaP release is a more authentic capture of that year....definetly more great shows, now if Dave would just step it up 😉

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It is all gravy now, isn't it gents?
Just wish we could get Rhino to release more ....
And Dave's 8 is in my top five for sure of Dave's. Probably due to my affinity for 1980.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I believe it is 2/7/79 Carbondale show.... if you want to hear more what happened at this show read the stories about it on Internet Archive!!! Listen to the vocals on Stagger Lee and you can confirm!!! Have a good weekend. Bob t

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I also enjoy DaP 8 quite a bit. IMHO it has the best Feel Like a Stranger. Love the Moogy keyboards, which went away after a few tours.

I'd be hyped for another DaP 8 caliber release, but I have my doubts about the availability of another such gem. I would guess sound quality is the reason we haven't seen another like it. If Lemieux had another half dozen shows like DaP 8 at his disposal, I believe we would have seen one by now. I say that for three reasons: 1) Dave knows DaP 8 is awesome; 2) Dave knows there is demand for 80s; 3) Dave is not shy about releasing the same year two years in a row:(DaP 6 & 10; DaP 11 & 14; DaP 16 & 21; DaP 25 & 29; DaP 13 & 17) - to name a few. I fear it's just what he's been saying for years ' poor master tapes.

My man - GREAT to see you here - it's been a while. It seems the mere mention of your whereabouts brought you back out of the cosmos. Hope all is well!!!

Indeed, there are some more Sixtus' Picks that have made their way to my collection...I think I forgot where we left off....

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

I have been listening to both these remastered sets the last few days and I think they are great.

I'm gonna try and buy the RSD 2cd set before they sell out.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

had both of these on the original lp release, played them to death. The original lp had that amazing "rhythm devils" that was omitted from the first pressing of the cd and that fantastic space from that lp, short but oh so sweet, wore that one out. 1980 may be my favorite Dead year, saw both the spring and the fall tour that year and never looked back. I agree, the Dave's pick 8 is a killer release, but what about Gainesville? I was lucky enough to have been at the Lakeland show and was at UF the next night for the show, never made it into the show, but the party outside was one of the best LSD parties I have ever been to, many a fond memories of that little FLA tour that fall. That Gainesville show needs to be released please, before I die would be great.
Keithfan, that poster you speak of came with the first pressing of the dead set lp, and I too had a copy of it, I framed it and gave it to the man who turned me on to the Dead, he's gone now, but the poster lives on with his wife. Hard to believe that was 39 years ago. "where does the time go"

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Dead Set was one of my first exposures to the dead and the space-FOTM transition was what really flipped the switch. Something about that transition from the chaos of that space settling into that smooth FOTM just lit my brain up and seemed inherently compatible with some other things that I had recently discovered and come to enjoy at that time. When Dead Set came out on cd a few years later I was disappointed when I discovered that they had cut out the entire space portion. The 2cd version with the space segment replaced and the entire disc of additional material is great.
Reckoning also has some great stuff, in particular I can't get enough of that Deep Elem Blues and the Race is On. That album is kind of a nice change of pace sometimes.

user picture

Member for

6 years

Love the bit in ripple where Jerry introduces Otis 🐶 one of the only times I ever heard him speak on stage .
Having read earlier about RT 3/1 12/28/79 I’ve been giving it a listen - two words - Sugaree opener - I’m pretty much done in after that to be able to manage the rest of the show . 😸😸😸

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Charlie3

These were the first two Dead albums-Dead Set and Reckoning-that I bought at the time of their release-1981 in England. The band played in London in March and October that year, and Dead Set was the album that most reminded me of the shows that I saw. I played both them both a lot at the time, in fact Dead Set was the one I would put on most round that time to show friends what they were missing out on.

The other show from round then I played a lot-well, it was the only other one I had-was the one from Essen Germany from March 1981. The first set was actually on television, and the whole set was broadcast on the radio. I taped it-and played it to death. In fact, sitting here all these years later, I can remember more about that show than I can about Dead Set. Great, great Sugaree in the first set. Also a good Shakedown in the first set. Later on a I bought a video of the show, which has probably kept it in my memory. Pete Townsend came on to play on Not Fade Away, and then stayed on, perhaps unwisely, for the following song-Wharf Rat. You can see Bob Weir advising him of the chords when it starts up. Happy days indeed.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I got jumped (drunk) coming home last night,
On a 90's run, but now I'm behind..........

Yep, I missed ole 03/21/90 yesterday, but that's ok, cuz as soon as the wife and kid were off to work/school today, it was turned up to Eleven.....and then fuck it, all the way to Seven! Finishing up that last set (Wharf Rat now) as I type...an then it will be off to present day so to speak - 03/22/90

A big Happy Birthday shout out to my mom who would have turned 63 today, had we not lost her to the universe almost 5 years ago. I love you mom, and miss you dearly!

And so, in honor of Mom, I will be giving out FREE Magic Carpet Rides, departing from my living room for the remainder of the day. I know this will most likely generate some expected excitement, so let's lay down some ground rules:

-Space and Time are limited so first come first serve
-To prevent era arguments and for safety reasons, only two riders will be permitted at a time
-Hippie's use the back door only and please stay off the lawn - Security (Jim MD) will be watching
-Be cleanly (no stems and crap left behind - this mean you VGuy)
-Voice Texting not permitted during the ride (sorry KeithFan)
-Weed is permitted....but it must pass the Love My Girl "Primo" test
-Absolutely no pets except for China Cats, One Eyed Cheshires wearing Laced Bandana's....& Tail Eating Dragons of
course
-Unfortunately, other time warping machines on the carpet could create irreparable worms holes (sorry Jim, but
I can't allow you to bring the lawn mower...trust me it's for everyone's own good)
-Lastly - TAGO MAGO and most likely any other German or British Psychadelia is for experts only

****Waiver - Ride at your own risk......While not expected, some rider's are never able to return from the era/time period visited. I can not and will not be held responsible for circumstances such as these.

Round & Round, Round & Round....roooouuuunnnd & roooouuuunnnd.....
Don't Take Much To Get Me On The Ground!

Happy Friday Dead People, Play it Loud & Proud!

KCJ

.....Yeah, what can I say.....Mama Tried!

Edit: Pretty Fuggin wicked Scarlett/Fire On 03/22....need a whole pale a water ta cool it down!

user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Electric On The Eel is so rich!!!!

JGB is my go to this time of the year, and this release could not be a better edition to the discography.

7 discs for $40. Now that's the way it should be done!!! Garcia Family gets it

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

EOTE arrived here yesterday, listened to the '87 show yesterday and that was good, listened to the '89 show today and that was transcendent. Haven't listened to the '91 show yet.
Last 5 -
Beatles For Sale - Beatles, Electric on the Eel 6/10/89 - Jerry, Book of Dreams - Steve Miller Band, Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes, Electric on the Eel 8/29/87 - Jerry.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I'm driving and reading the comments. I got on YouTube feel like a stranger 11/30/80 and it sounds like Donna singing backup on chorus. That can't be can it?

user picture

Member for

13 years

...sure don't know what I'm going for...
I'm going to go for it for sure!...

Damnit, Franklins!!!

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I listened to some of Dead Set last night for the first time in what must be about 25 years. It felt quite nostalgic in the sense that its an album that reminds me of how I used to hear the band back in 1981. At that time I had only heard the official releases, and was about to see them for the first time. I had no idea how great they could be, really. The best albums to me were Anthem, Live Dead and American Beauty. As I sit here tapping away, I am listening to the Playing in the Band from 9/11/74-there was no indication, going off what had been released up to 1981, that they could play like this until many years later. It makes me realise that the music I like them for playing now, and the music I liked them for playing 30-40 years ago is almost, with the exception of Anthem and live Dead, completely different. As opposed to other bands I liked 30-40 years ago and still do-to pick two examples, the music I like by The Stones and Hawkwind is exactly the same to me now as it was then.
This has never really occurred to me before.

...KCJ, I love your last post, gotta be one of my favorite of the year. I’m ready, what time is take off...lol ;)
Excellent post, Daverock , as usual always a pleasure to read !
When Dead Set was first released I went thru 3 CD copies lol. I took my copy everywhere I would go. Some were lost,stolen? Trashed and just worn out. Great release. ;) great memories come along with this album! I’m grateful. Have a grateful day folks! Peace be with you all my friendly freaks...lol ;)
Started my day with Daves Pick #19 January 23rd 1970, Honolulu, HI...sprinkle some Hawaiian Homegrown on top, maybe some, Maui Waui strain (aka Maui Wowie) is a Sativa-dominant hybrid from the Hawaiian Islands that first rose to popularity during the 1970's and get ready for a ‘magic carpet ride’!!! :) :) :)
Primo pick in the Daves series for my enjoyment !
See you soon KCJ, lol ; )
Take care my beautiful people! :)

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Beginning to think it was a mistake....

I’ve been up all night....the line is around the block and has become unmanageable!!

Has anyone seen Jim? Must be in the back-country or something as he never showed?? Goddamn hippies are everywhere....front lawn is a mud pit! I’m going to play something from 95 today in hopes that maybe half the mob will go home!

Wish me luck & Enjoy your Saturday!

KCJ

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

In reply to by CaseyJanes

...you make me laugh my friend, thank you for that, the healing power of laughter is priceless my brothers & sisters! ;)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Try what always worked for me when I wanted people to go home at the end of the night,,,,, play some "Residents" on 11! Maybe the King and Eye or The Third Reich n Roll. Of course the crowd always loves The Mole Shows.

DaP 8 is great, thanks for making me put on Loser.

Dead Set was my big intro also, along with Skeletons from the Closet.

Been listening to Weir and the Wolf,,,, Was' bass playing is pretty fuckin' incredible.

Saw them at a little theater in Red Bank, NJ. Held about 1500, we had front row balcony seats for both night. Great view, great sound. First night Jack Straw blew me away. A nice Maggie's Farm, was glowing nods of approval for Bob's Weather Report Suite. Always love Let it Grow. In the second set one of my favs which the Dead seem to stop doing together Sailor/Saint, always, always loved that combo. The Looks like Rain was very nice and per usual the Music Never Stopped -> Easy Answers is so smooth.

Second night, opened with a fav of mine, Easy to Slip, followed by Gonesville (both Acoustic). Nice Corrina which I always like. Second set Cassidy was a joy. Was glad to get a Fever. I like when Bob does old standards! Nice Eyes and Standing on the Moon.

Two very nice shows. If you ever have a chance at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank,,,,, nice place. Since this is the area we grew up in, we got to stay at this "classy" hotel in Red Bank (The Molly Pitcher Inn) Drove pass this place my whole life and always thought, "who can afford to stay there?" Neat thing is we were able to walk to shows at night. Also the Kevin Smith comic book store is in Red Bank (The Secret Stash),, if anyone is into Jay and Silent Bob.

Enjoy

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Hi Jeff I tried the drop box link you provided but when I go onto the website it says that the JGB folder does not exist...anyone else try this? thanks....

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I'm around (sort of).. travelled to the flatlands for the my parents 80th bday party (both were born a couple weeks apart).

The snow is gone.. been boating a bit of the spring runoff though. I had to chuckle when one of devices starting playing that excellent Cold Rain and Show from 12/26/79. I have not listened to every show from 79 yet.. but I do think the December run in Oakland, recorded by Cantor-Jackson might just be the best sounding from 79. Anyway.. serendipitous, I did not select that show to listen to, it came on near the end of the day on one of my waterproof devices the day after the 79 conversation came to a peak.

KCJ, if all else fails.. I suggest getting one of those adapters to attach your garden hose to the fire hydrant around the corner and open up on those lawn squatters. "Get off my lawn"

...I concur, “ Count Basie Theater in Red Bank,NJ”
Is a beautiful theater. I’ve had the privilege to attend some concerts held there. Thumbs up!
I also agree, Daves Pick #8 was an excellent pick!
All the Engineering put into this release, audio wise, is amazing! The final mix is Primo;) Its also one of my favorite picks in the series because of the Era/ 80’s Dead! Keep your ears/eyes lol open because ‘Warfield’ is coming to a town close to you! ;)

CASEY; hope you have a seat belt on that thing? Safety first!
Remeber, There are no mistakes, only opportunities! lol
LAWN HIPPIES; sounds like a job for Cartman!
BOB T; thanks for the info, I’ll have to look that up.
DAVEROCK; Essen, have a good copy of that from a buddie back in the day who recorded it on reel off the radio while stationed in Germany! Neat show, weird Shakedown placement. Never saw the video but always thought Pete sounded wasted or something as his playing is not good and he had played some of that with the boys in the past? I’ll have to watch the video some time....that was another big influence starting out. That and dead set just because of the quality etc compared to the very small selection of shitty tapes and even fewer live albums we had.
THEN & NOW; yaaasss, that’s it right there, that’s why I hate when folks get too hung up on a certain era. Of course we all have favorites, but it bums me out when people start comparing etc. You nailed it, yes the band is totally different, but awesome in different perhaps not so comparable ways? One of the truely great things about the band, they kept reinventing themselves. Sometimes very subtly, other times more pronounced, like with personel changes.
Is one version of the band better than another? I don’t like to think of it that way. I just try to compare a particular show to the ones around it, or perhaps by tour I.e., “the spring tour was probably the strongest that year....”
Of course it’s fun to compare, I just think some folks et hung up and thus are missing out by their narrow focus. To each his own of course, but I’m from the camp that’s it’s all good....”.....in the strangest of places if you look at it right”
They were great at trying to exploit their current strengths while hiding their idiosyncrasies, and they surely had both in all eras. You can also clearly hear how they would consciously or otherwise incorporate some seasoning of what ever was current I.e., “disco dead” or keyboard technology is another big tell.
Like you yourself has very aptly stated, it’s hard to understand one year or era without understanding the progression before and after. I always hated when the press etc would call them nostalgia mongers or some such horse shit; “stuck in the sixties” whatever!
JIM/Keith; glad you guys are ok! Last we heard it seemed they were on to you, the bastids, and we know they will do anything to protect the vault from the likes of us rouges! Speaking of, where you been brother rougedeadguy?

Agree completely.. it would have been unfortunate of they stopped playing or quite hitting record after a certain date for a certain set of reasons. I also think if the post Betty shows were recorded expertly.. we would have a lot more material from the later years being discussed. I mean.. who talked about Arrowhead 78 until those betty boards surfaced? The 1977 lore most certainly gets a huge bump by the superlative ears of Ms. Cantor Jackson. We are a lucky bunch.

Cartman.. good call.

Over and out.. I have a party to crash. One good thing about my family.. they know how to throw a good party and there will be some excellent, super yummy wine and spirits flowing.. and the menu looks to be over the top. If you don't hear from me for a few days I will be groveling in ditch somewhere out of site paying for poor decisions I am certain to make over the next 12 hours or so..

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html