• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

My first album pre-dated cds by about 16 years-Electric Warrior by T. Rex, in 1971. Swiftly followed by Fireball-Deep Purple, Deep Purple In Rock, Relics by Pink Floyd, David Bowie- it was all very exciting. Even going into a record shop, and flipping through the sleeves-it was like a portal into another reality. Which, of course, it was.

Cassettes never really grabbed me, apart from as a medium for listening to live Dead shows. Cds seemed better-and I do like the various remastered box sets that are being released now. Downloads-I haven't as yet got into. Any I buy I immediately burn onto cd. Not to be compared with buying an album on vinyl with an eye popping cover in gatefold sleeve!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I patched into that free view last night. I got what I paid for. I hope they were serving espresso at that show because it made me want to go to sleep. I enjoy Bob's singing and playing in Dead & Co., and of course the original band, but this wasn't really working. Bob doesn't play enough of a driving rhythm style to move a band. It was all empty space, with him staring down at his guitar and plinking a chord here, noodling a bit there. Just not enough. At one point, Don stops playing his bass and just waits for the song to die... but it doesn't. Bob keeps wandering, lost, and finally Don jumps back in.

I'm not saying it was horrid, but it needed a bit more oomph.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

KF – Haaaa! Fine job channeling Raoul and Dr. Gonzo from a VIP box in Philly! HST rides again! Just airbrushed the studio with morning coffee. . .

LP’s: Unless you were there in the 60s and 70s when new LP releases were a sacred revelation and 12 x12 covers were an inseparable part of the music, you probably won’t ever fully “get” the nostalgia us old-timers feel when squinting at tiny images on CD covers. Still, CD’s are tons better than the pixilated thumbnails (or nothing at all) that you get when downloading or streaming – part of why some of us find it hard to even contemplate letting go of physical product. It’s a blessing and a curse, but I just can't let go of my “habit”!

I AM NOT A TRAFFIC LIGHT! Man, Captcha woke up in a bad mood this morning. I guess anything to keep the trolls at bay. . .

Buenos Dias Rockeros!

Yaaassss, ticket prices are for sure a bit much. Part of me has some weird deep activistic loathing for having to pay for tickets at all since I’ve been fortunate to know people that got me in for free VIP for most of the years since “the end”. At least at Dead relatedstuff. So having to pay the last couple years of D&C etc has put me in some kind of weird feral dissonance, which it shouldn’t, since I should be happy I enjoyed that privilege for so long....
On the other hand, I’m not so poor that getting anally raped a few times a year is as big a deal as back in the day. So I’ve come to the exceptance that the few times a year we go out, I’m going to have fun and not get hung up on the cost.
Now the real rub is all the greedy handler fees and surcharges. What a load of shit! I have no problem supporting the actual artists, but have a tough time getting fleeced by all the other leeches and middle men, i.e., the fees for our annual pilgrimage to D&C are like a third of the total cost (for cheap seats). So ticket, ticket, ass rape!

HARDGOODS: I, like many have become somewhat of a collector; R&R books, music, video etc. I’m fortunate to have a hole wall that will be my entire collection. Can totally understand folks that don’t want the clutter, and the cloud is convenient.
But I’m afraid the cloud will become like cable tv. It was relatively cheap and commercial free back in the day, that was part of the allure. Now it’s like a second mortgage if you want any decent channels and thank the gods for DVRs cause friggin commercials are out of control now, especially as we will soon be entering yet another horrific political season (no matter what flavor you prefer). Yasseree the DVR: watch twice the tv in half the time with no annoying
commercials 😎 I predict soon you will be forced to pay for that cloud space. Basically the evil bastards will hold your collection hostage until you pay up, and those with no hard copy will have to pay! Also, if There’s crash, my stuff is right on the shelf ready to reload...
Totally recall the glory days of going to the record store constantly to hope/wish/shop for that next awesome album or poster. Started working when I was 12 so I could afford records, and stereos and guitar gear, so having to slave for the cash made those hard goods all that much more special. So yeah, deep seated attachment to the hardwoods...

HST: Dr Keith you filthy little beast, how dare you channel his inner gonzoness! Why your as bad as that drunken English sot Ralph! Hell your probably swollen with drink and suffering from string worms LOL.
That was awesome! Nothing like a little of the good doctor to make us 😃

Oh yeah, first records back in the mid? Seventies. Partridge Family when I was little Doesn’t count!
- Frampton Comes Alive
- Dark Side of the Moon
- Are You Experienced
- possibly Rock and Roll over as yes, I too am a recovering Kissaholic.
“Hello, my name is Pedro, and I’m was a teenage Kiss fan” lol Fortunately that didn’t last long and I was able to sell my albums to my little cousins so I could by Hendrix, Zepplin, and eventually Dead! Think my first Dead album was Skull Fuck?

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

There's something reassuring about making a vague reference to HST and having people pick up on it. Special crowd indeed.

First LP: News Of The World when it first hit the streets, 6 yrs old. We Will Rock You was all over the radio in those days, and I had a very similar reaction to Stewie on Family Guy when I saw the cover. I received Bridge Over Troubled Water 2nd hand prior to that, but the Queen record was my first to own.
My first KISS LP Destroyer came next, though I'd had a bunch of 45s before any of these (Little Willy was on constant repeat). And then the next 4 years was nothing but KISS records. At 10 years old I bought Who Are You, and then it was nothing but Who records for many years, with the only intervening bands being Asia's first record and Back In Black, which my big brother recorded to cassette for me after I heard him playing it. Funny thing - he accidentally recorded side two of Back In Black first. It wasn't until I upgraded to CD in college that I understood Hells Bells was the lead off track to the album. To this day I listen to it backwards, as there is just no changing the imprint of it in my mind.

CaseyJanes, thanks for the advertisement on DaP 30. I guess that means we get the Early Show too. Can't wait. I understand the Dark Star is excellent. I was listening to 2/2/70 on the way into work today - possibly the best least talked about version.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Shortly after my first year of college I was home and hanging out with my friend Dave. I was giving him a hard time about the condition of his place and pointed out, dude, you have records on the floor that you are literally walking on. I picked up the nearest album on the floor and pointed out that hey, Doors Absolutely Live, a pretty good album on your floor. Dave looked at the record then looked at me and says, "actually that is your album, I borrowed it from your brother". I still have the record, but the condition is less than optimal.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Charlie3

...greetings to all my brothers & sisters of the Grateful Dead. I’m really excited to recieve the next in the Daves Pick Series with #30 arriving in a few months with the Bonus CD included in the early-bird subscription option. 1970 is one of my favorite periods in the bands live/performing history. Also looking forward to the next box set-up coming soon... I have a feeling 2019 is going to be an interesting year in the Grateful Dead slotted releases thru out the year... I just can’t help but to ‘Smile Smile Smile’.
Everyone have a ‘grateful’ day, peace be with you all! :)

Recent vinyl purchases
5-19-74 - sounds awesome
4-25-77 - sounds awesome

KF2112 will appreciate this,
Recently obtained the Rush R40 6-BluRay Box Set.
So far have only watched the Bonus Disc which did live up to the hype.

Cassettes
I saw a cassette on the list of releases for RSD 2019.

Multimedia
Are film strips with the accompanying vinyl soundtrack coming back?

I haven't logged in since I posted my Last 5 Listens. I went back and read the last 20 or so pages and saw your replies.

DAVEROCK - you tipped me off regarding the Mott The Hoople Mental Train box set back in Nov. on the DaP28 thread. Both 'Wildlife' & 'Brain Capers' pleasantly surprised me…easily as good as 'All The Young Dudes' or 'Mott'. Interesting to note 'Ready For Love' from 'ATYD' and 'Movin' On' (here as a demo on 'Brain Capers') were taken to Bad Company by Mick Ralphs for their 1st LP. I believe 'Movin'On' made it into the top 40 in addition to the other hits from that 1st album.
While it's a minor quibble, I would have liked more of the Croydon show and less of the BBC portion…it sounds like it was 'killer'. I really liked hearing Jerry Lee Lewis' 'Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On' & Ray Charles' 'What'd I Say' sandwiched between Little Richard's 'Keep A-Knockin'…reminded me of GD's 'Dancing/ 'Tighten Up' sandwich.
If I remember correctly you(?) also lauded Johnny Cash's 'Bitter Tears', which I picked up and agree it's mighty fine.

SIMONROB - thanks for the recommendations for Quartermass, T2 & Jody Grind. I've heard of Quartermass but haven't listened to the music of any of the 3.
In the states at that time, music info regarding English or European bands was difficult to come by at best. We didn't do too bad since we also listened to Van Der Graaf Generator, Curved Air, Man & Help Yourself on the progressive front as well as The Groundhogs, Budgie & Atomic Rooster on the 'rock' front. We had 'glam' covered with Bowie, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Cockney Rebel, Roy Wood's Wizzard & Slade. Germans bands we listened to were Nektar, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Faust & Cluster. I know for every band I mentioned there was another 2-3 we missed but all in all it was a great time for music.

Last 5 listens:
Curved Air - Air Conditioning
Groundhogs - Thank Christ For The Bomb
Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. 14
GD - 4/26/69 Chicago, Il. (whereupon GD do battle with the Velvet Underground)
Stereolab - Oscillons From The Anti-Sun (3 disc compilation of the many EPs they've released)

Hope everyone has a good week...

Yes, I would agree with what you say about The Mott box set. The live set at Croydon totally eclipses the following one recorded at the BBC. I like all the studio albums-a completely different, more American feel than the tones of the post Young Dudes albums.

I notice you have listened to the first Curved Air album recently. That's their best one, in my opinion, but I got the second one a few weeks ago. Its a great package with 5 bonus tracks, plus a dvd featuring promotional films and live shows they played on French and German TV. Some great versions of Vivaldi on this disc.

Mentioning Quatermass reminds me that that was one of the albums I foolishly lent to someone at school. He kept it far too long, and when it came back it was unplayable. Maybe I should see about getting that one on cd.

My last 5 go as follows
Shrine Los Angeles 12/21/68 The Dead
Portland 7/26/72 The Dead
Fiends From Dope Island The Cramps
Erpland Ozric Tentacles
Walking Into New Orleans cd2 "Tipitina" of box-Various Arstists

Everyone a gem!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

icecrmcnkd, I guffawed out loud at your comment about those old school film strips that we'd watch in like 4th grade along with the accompanying record. What a multi-media experience it was back then. I mean, you can't get any more analog than that. There would always be a clamor as to who wold get to turn the film strip knob.

Ahh, how far we've come since the simple 70's....

SIxtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

"bing" for the next image

"misty watercolor memories..."

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Reading these posts reminds me of how prolifically bad my memory is. Do y'all write down your last 5's or what!?! Shoot, I can never remember other than it was probably Dead...

GD: 7/11/81
Swans: Filth
Motorhead: Bomber
Motorhead: Aftershock
Swans: Public Castration is a Good Idea

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Hee-hee remeber when back in school watching a film strip, or even better a “movie” , was like the greatest thing?
Better than all that reading and writing and rithmatic crap 😀 only thing better was gym class or lunch!

Last 5 (aaaaaa I think 😉)
- Road Trips 3.4
- Steely Dan mix CD
- Blues Brothers Definitive
- Outer Circle Orchestra
- 70s Hits compilation

Still no dam proper stereo/server.......but soon. Can’t tell you how horrible six months without proper tunes is!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Last Five
1. Dave's Picks Vol. 2 (7/31/74) currently listening, in fact
2. Road Trips Vol. 2, #3 (6/16 & 18/74)
3. Dave's Picks Vol. 9 (5/14/74)
4. Dan Hicks & his Hot Licks, Strike it Rich (on vinyl)
5. John Doe with The Sadies, Country Club

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Zomby Woof

....I look at them as brain exercises. Does a body good. Now, where did I leave my keys? 🤔

user picture

Member for

8 years

...Greetings everyone, I hope all is well.
I have a question concerning one of the Grateful Dead’s Concert. I recently listened to the Grateful Dead ‘Road Trip’ series. Vol.1 #1
“Fall 79’ “. The release consists of the captured audio performances from 10/25/79, 11/6/79, 11/8-10/79. There’s only one song from 10/25/79 included in this release and that song is ‘Shakedown Street’! One of my favorite Dead songs that causes me to dance & smile thru out the whole song. Primo!!!
VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM - OCTOBER 25, 1979
Setlist
Don't Ease Me In
Cassidy
Peggy-O
El Paso
Brown Eyed Women
It's All Over Now
Tennessee Jed
Looks Like Rain
Deal

Shakedown Street
Passenger
Friend of the Devil
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World
drums
Stella Blue
Good Lovin'

U.S. Blues

...I wonder if the Grateful Dead will ever release this show in a complete format/version. I love the set-list... I never heard the show before, just the ‘shakedown Street ‘ on the first Road Trip Series. Does anyone have any info of this performance ?
Is it know to exist in the massive archive the dead have in the vault ... is the entire show recorded? Any info would be most grateful my brothers & sisters.... have a grateful day everyone.
*theres a photo of Brent playing in the show and I noticed his hair was tied back in a pony tail & the length of his hair goes past below his waist! Wow :o

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

here goes: Last 5

GD The Nine
GD DP 25 New Haven/Springfield 5/78
GD DaP 8/25 Berzerkly
GD DaP 1/70 HI
-edit- GD Download Series Pine Knob June '91

I've just had a look on the archive, and come across three versions of this show. The first is an audience recording of the whole show. Then a little further on there is a soundboard recording of the second set, and then the audience recording of the second set appears towards the end of the 1979 shows.
Looks promising!

The Dark Star got me through both directions of my commute yesterday. Eyes started as I pulled out of the garage today and the encore ended as I was pulling back into the garage tonight. Perfect timing two days in a row.

Electric on the Eel.
Shipping label printed, package not yet received by USPS.
Coming from Crozet......
Glad GD releases no longer come from Crozet.

I think that Jerry releases should be interspersed with DaP releases. That way we don’t have to wait so long for a new release.

Filmstrips/ movies - every now and then the film would burn. Then the fun would be over.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Iccecreamconkid, it's funny you mention that Rush Blu-ray box set, because I bought most of them on DVD and really struggled with the decision upgrade to Blu-ray. El Cheapo here, I stuck with my DVDs. I don't know how in to rush you are, but I was a huge exit stage left fan, and saw them on every tour starting with power windows. Not once did they play Jacob's Ladder... Until the last tour... Now that is some patience.

Vguy, I think it just goes to show they did Back in Black backwards. The thing that would get me that's what I'ma go to a a party or whatever and somebody would say they're putting Back in Black on, it all the sudden Hells Bells would come on and I'd be reminded of the permanent imprint my brothers stoned recording process had on my brain. Back in Black and Steve Miller band's Greatest Hits we're at every single keg party I went to in college. Some hyperbole there oh, but it was uncanny how frequently those two CDs were in the house mix.

I'm in a weird Dead phase past few days. I pretty much Listen to Dark Star, Birdsong, China cat sunrider, and eyes of the world. What the hell is the matter with me....

Last 5 Dark Stars

6/24/70
2/2/70
4/24/72
9/19/70
8/1/73 ( I just discovered it was the last show Jerry play the Alligator on)

Pretty good show 6/30/74. Sound is pretty damn good.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Miles Davis, Sketches of Spain. Dead, 12/31/71 Winterland. Dead, 9/24/72 Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT. Meat Puppets, Too High To Die. Merle Haggard, Back To The Barrooms. \m/

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I just got a copy of Jerry & Merl from 9-5-73 on the SS Bay Belle in NY City Harbor. Hell's Angels party.
GarciaBase updates from DeadBase 50 says this was the first time the Wolf made it's appearance. If so...that's pretty cool.
:O)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

Tip of the hat for mentioning Miles Davis. I don't listen to him on a daily basis, but when I do listen, its almost like being in touch with a higher intelligence. I listened to ESP last night-incredible musical interaction. I've mentioned it on here before-its a great album.

Also started a fascinating book last night-"The Grateful Dead and the Art of Rock Improvisation" by David Malvinni. A lot of it is just beyond the edge of my understanding, but there is just enough within it to keep me engaged. Highly recommended.

user picture

Member for

6 years

6/29/76 Peggy-O
6/29/76 Peggy-O
6/29/76 Peggy-O
6/29/76 Peggy-O
6/29/76 Peggy-O

I can’t tell you enough of how much I love this song and this version 😺😺😺😺

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Talk about a lilting version! This show was one of my first tapes back in the day, and I cherished it.

I love the encore where Jerry sings "Red and White, U.S. Blues!" with aplomb.

-edit- How the F can I remember details like that when I have trouble remembering last 5? Guess it's my short term memory that's fried, not long term?

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

by coincidence (or cosmic synchronicity) I started listening to it on my phone/YouTube this past weekend whilst doing stuff around the house.

GSET :)))
Cumberland Blues :)))

was deep into Playin' when one of the non-Deadheads of my household came downstairs.

I'll be back, 6/30/74.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

As I work from home today I realize the date is March 14th which is also synonymous with the commencement of Spring Tour '90. So, what have I done, in turn? Expectedly, I put on The Landover MD show from 19 years ago today and turned it up to '11'. Cold Rain and Snow baby.

I love this tour. It is soooo reminiscent of their sound when I saw my first show in July '90 just a few months later and was fucking elated when these boxes hit. I know some have mixed feelings about the sound between each release but this matters not to my ears when they are awash in this era, and specifically this tour. Just something about the sound being so FULL and everyone paying attention to each other. It's crisp and inspired. Each time I cycle through these shows I find something magical that I hadn't before.
Such is the Good Ole GD.

Come on Tour....

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years

Good morning Heads. Not sure if it is ok to list anything on this site, so if not, feel free to delete the post and scold me. But anyway, due to a shipping miscue on my 2019 Daves Picks subscription, I ended up buying an extra insurance copy of Daves #29 (Swing 2/26/77). Lo and behold, my subscription copy actually showed up a month later than expected. So now I have 2 copies and I dont need two copies. Id prefer the extra one goes to someone on here so Im offering it at face value + my shipping costs. Im not looking to profit from this at all. I think with taxes and shipping I paid $37 or $38 and Ill have to ship it to you, so lets call it $50 delivered and I can ship anywhere in the US. The disc is #1606 - factory sealed and unopened. I can provide my PayPal email to the first person who replies and Ill ship as soon as the funds and shipping instructions are there. Again - I dont know the rules on here so if this kind of post is frowned on - my apologies. Feel free to delete it and Ill find another avenue. I just didnt think Id ever get my subscription discs, so Im just trying to get someone a copy of this gem of a show for what I paid for it. - Cheers, Steve

...thanks Dave for the feed back, gratefully appreciate it. : ) Maybe a future Daves Pick ; )
But now, I need some Pigpen!
:)
...and later this evening I’m going to sit back and play Daves Pick#5, looking forward to this, a friend gave me a copy, gratefully appreciated. ;)

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Alas Sixtus, I wish it were only 19 years ago today... but I was just thinking the other day how these shows would turn 30 next year!

Oh oh what I want to know-oh where does the time go?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

Damn, you are RIGHT. Holy smokes, my math was bad there but it didn't even dawn on me it was off by 10 years.
That's nuts.
Think about it this way: 30 years was GD's timetable; it's BEEN almost 30 years since Spring '90

Where does the time go indeed.
Glad I don't need to take the S.A.T. ever again and thank god for excel.

Sixtus

LOL on the SATs....you could always have your mom pay someone to take it for you. I guess that’s a thing now...

I also listened to 03/14/90 couple days ago and also 03/15/90. I like the Loose Lucy from 03/14 and the Althea, Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues combo On 03/15.

And speaking of BOB, I just can’t get enough lately....just picked up on vinyl and my last 5:

Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
More Blood More Tracks Bootleg Series
Bob Dylan Bootleg Series 1-3

The Bootleg vinyls are absolutely incredible. Also just watched most of the Scorsese documentary. The man (Dylan) is an artist, a poet, a musician, and pure genius all wrapped into one messy package. Can’t believe it’s take me this long to start digging below the surface on BOB!

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by CaseyJanes

...greetings everyone, hope everyone is having a Grateful day !
I also remember when The Dead released the ‘Spring 90’boxset. Just a beautiful release, just wish they used the multi-tracks instead of the 2 track. I played these CDs for months on rotation.
The ‘Spring 90’ Too’ release is primo audio, the Dead used the Multi-tracks on this release but to be honest I find myself playing the first release. Wonderful shows and the artwork is amazing !

Sixtus, no worries, it’s probably that “new math” their always going on about 😉

C.J. Yeah that Althea is awesome! Perhaps best ever? That whole show sounds amazing, have to figure Phil had a hand in that? I hadn’t realized that the first box was only 2 track? When I hopefully get the server back up and running I’ll have to do some comparative analysis...
I’m with L.M.G. though in that I’ve always sorta leaned towards the first box more?

BOB; remember, better late than never....was actually in a band called Late Arrival because we were all so late for practice all the time.. So one time we’re giving the lead player shit about it and he goes, “hey, better late than never” So that’s how we came up with the name and on our posters we’d always have some crack about that.
Highway 61, man is there anything on there that doesn’t kick ass? That was one of the first CDs I bought after I got my first CD player in 86. Played that constantly and never got sick of it. I still occasionally will put Desolation Row on repeat and just listen to that several times in a row, phew, what a Beauty eh!

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Holy shit...really, and from you owe wise one who’s dragon eats it’s tail? I would not have risked that statement on my young Dead Head....but now that it’s out there, sounds like a good project or one for further comment from the general population...any other thoughts on the best Althea ladies and gents? I personally would be interested to hear what you have to say?

And along the subject of Althea...a song which is one of my personal favorites...I was explainin the lyrics to my wife a couple moons ago and she said ....”oh Althea...he’s talkin about the “alter ego”...good angel/bad angel type thing if you know what I mean? Well anyway, I never heard that and thought it profound, especially for a non dead-head. Anyone else ever thought about it that way?

KCJ

PS...one more thing. I am jealous of IceCreamKids Electric Eel Shipping notice. I bought the full package and nothing so far ☹️ I did hear from another Head that they had already received theirs and were officially listed in the liner notes....VIP

Now Playing 3/18/90...I’m ahead of schedule

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

From 1979 I swore was the best one I ever heard. I really should have wrote the date and venue down, cause wouldn't ya know I plumb forgot it! And, I been searchin' for it ever since! haha lol

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I've always thought Althea sounded like Throwing Stones in that one part.

JFK 7/7/89 - I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best scarletfire they ever did in the 80s. And this just might be the best show they did post coma. IT is certainly given the multitrack treatment.

Back in Black. I could not help myself after the comments from V guy and Keith fan. I even listened to side 2 first. Way better. And let's not sell this thing short. Side one is no slouch. Brian Johnson sings his ass off on this record. I don't think Bon Scott on this would have resulted in the world's greatest selling rock album. But that's a shit thing to say and an impossible argument. Hell, they wouldn't have even been motivated to kick so much ass if he hadn't died.

DaP 12 - this mofo is underrated. Best release 2nd half 77.

Yes - Going For The One. I forgot how good these guys were.

Rocking the Cradle, Egypt 1978. This is much better than I remembered. The sound is just out of this world. I'm not used to hearing these songs in this time period, with all the instrument balanced out, on account of the multitrack. This is a great Shakedown Street, way way way better than I remembered it. Does anyone else find it odd that they did a stand-alone Fire on the Mountain?

Hey Lovemygirl I'm happy you got a DaP 5. Is it the real deal or a copy?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Due to FM radio and the advent of MTV, I got a constant dose of Rush, but they were never my favorite band. Definitely liked Rush, but was actually more of a VH fan (until DLR left), then explored ‘classic rock’ and settled on Pink Floyd as my fav (until I saw GD in 89).
Around 89/90 I got Exit Stage Left on cassette and loved it. I prefer live recordings, not sure why.......
Saw Rush 90, 91, 94 but then stopped because all 3 shows were basically the same - a selection of songs from the new album and then some of the Classics (which is why I was there), but only a Xanadu/2112 medley. I wanted a complete Xanadu, but it never came.
Also the crowd was boring because although they were avid fans, they sat down for most of the show. I like shows where the crowd only sits for intermission. I also like 2 sets, but at this time Rush was still using an opening act and then playing for about 2 hours and then a 15-20 min encore.
The Rush shows were fun, but this was also the time I was going to GD shows, so the bar was high, and Rush was not quite getting there. So I stopped going, but didn’t stop liking the early stuff.
Now I have Exit Stage Left on CD, 200g vinyl, and DVD (part of the 3 show DVD Box). I bought the BluRay Box to see the older stuff played live in modern times. Watched Time Machine 2011 last night and it totally delivered.
Also like All The World’s A Stage and the Bonus Disc in the Box also delivers. The Passaic 76 show is on YouTube but it’s grainy compared to the BluRay (which isn’t perfect, but it’s black and white from 76).
So, I’ll work my way through the Box and enjoy the Classics in hi-def and great sound.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html