• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

Just a rare check-in...

My Dead show experience was bookended by shows at the Boston Garden. The first was 5/7/77, the night before *that show* (which upon eventual hearing, didn't -- to my ears anyhow -- live up to all the hype). Had no idea what to expect. Loved the opening Bertha (though we were outside at the concessions and missed the opening sound flub while racing back to our seats, a bit shocked by the slow 'Friend', and interested in the new songs, Terrapin and Estimated ('the Soldier & Sailor' and 'California on the Burning Shore' songs as we called them), and delighted by "Peggy-O" and "The Wheel".

Along the way were more shows in New England, a couple at the Hartford Civic Center, including 5/28/77, very nice with Terrapin and Estimated repeats (but already starting to tire of US Blues encores), a back-to-backer at the Boston Music Hall, shows that were the most intimate I ever saw, good times, even with the repeated Dupree's, a song I don't really care for, but Garcia's grin just before delivering the "She shot him in the balls" was priceless. Several shows in Maine at the Cumberland County Civic Center, my home town (but the best show there in '83 was not the Dead's, but the fantastic Talking Heads 'Speaking in Tongues' show), all of the Augusta shows (ok, all 3 :) ), both Oxford Speedway shows and, probably the best, the Lewiston Fairgrounds, a gorgeous day, and its big Playin' / UJB / etc. sandwich.

Final show was 9/30/93 (my birthday), was there the previous night as well. OK show, but at that point I had decided that that was enough, everything was too big and dispersed, and I never got the feeling that they were in each other heads as much as you can tell from any number of, say, '69-'74 shows. I always had fun at the shows, for sure, but it just didn't seem like the energy was there. "Thank you for a real good time", about sums it up.

Edit: forgot a biggie, the Dylan & Dead show at Sullivan Stadium. Remember the crowd singing along with "The Times They Are A'Changing", very touching even though I do not usually care for crowd singalongs. Seeing them with Dylan was a highlight. Saw the other Sullivan Stadium show, also fun, but not the Foxboro show the following year.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by jefito

If it’s 72 I’m wondering about 1/2/72 and 8/24/72 as there on that “list” of Dave’s that he’s been chippin away at?
I want to say he mentioned something about revisiting those summer Berkeley shows, which with a big DS would be cool....don’t know anything about 1/2? Think someday, 2022= 50th, ??? we’ll get some kind of fall 72 box....
Wild card is a revisit of those fall/winter shows 71 (22&26) cause he obviously spent some time rooting around in that zone. Which again, if they have some killer DS that’d be cool.
Unfortunately, I’m feeling the force strongly for 78...
But hey, I ain’t often right but I never been wrong 😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My guess is: 1981-10-13, Rüsselsheim!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

That would be a happy surprise for the next Dave's. I think the earliest ones have come from the end of the decade-December 1969. Strange considering the peaks they hit before then.

Billy the Kid.... you probably know - but very tempting sale of box sets at Bear Records at the moment.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

DaveRock, thanks for the heads up on the Bear Family Records box sets. I have 3 box sets from Bear Family
Records, 2 Freddie King boxes and 1 Slim Harpo box set. Bear Family puts out great products and the way they treat their customers is the absolute best. DaveRock, I have a Grateful Dead item you might be interested in, PM me your email and I'll get back to you.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Still think 11/19/72, though could be a curveball like 11/26. Or a nod to DiP 36 and the 30 Trips show with 9/23/72. The Cryptical is rough, but they did it.

And, yeah it could be Berkeley Theatre, too, or another show from the underrepresented Summer '72. The only releases being Sunshine Daydream 8/27/72, DaP 24 8/25/72, and Download Series 10 7/21/72. That last one is not at all a favorite of mine, and I don't really know any real gems in that tour other than already released Veneta and BCT 8/24/72. I think Dave just can't pass up the opportunity to provide the symmetry of '72 for both Volumes numbered 36. After #35, I could really use the palate cleanse a '72 show would provide, so I'm trying to convince myself. :)

Last 5: 10/22/67 Anthem of the Sun bonus disc.
WHO 2019 album by The Who, which is fantastic
3/1/69 Fillmore West, waiting for the announcement of that vinyl set
11/18/72 Hofheinz can never get enough of this disc
DaP 11 11/17/72 nor this set

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Enjoy reading the predictions.... while I would happiest with a Fall 72, I am agreeing with Oroborous' force of 78 , especially April, (lot's of returned Betty's available), and we have only had Horton Field House from April so far... If we continue with the 77 theme for first release of the year, 10/2/77 Paramount Theatre is a really high quality recording and strong playing that has the first Dupree's since 1969 and return of Casey Jones to open the show, and a smoking second set. All this Dave's 37 goes out the window if they are saving 10/2/77 for a Parmount 77 box... We need Bolo with some of his "clues"!!!! Bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bob t

Don't forget 4/22/78 from Nashville, DaP #15 Bob t.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yeah, where is that ole rascal??

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

So they usually announce on Tuesdays, and I’ve always received my pick #4 on or around November 1st, so does that mean we’ll find out today, or next Tuesday? We’ve got to be getting close?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

It appears to be just that...a rumor! It seemed to start when DL mentioned another project for "later in the year, that would need time to breathe" after that '76 Box in January or February. Clearly, it now looks like he was referring to the 50th Anniversary releases of WD & AB. This is disappointing from the standpoint of I (like a alot of folks) don't really feel like either 50th anniv release or both represent a "Box Set". There is really no new bonus material with either release - just two 1971 shows, that don't really have that much material from those two albums?!?! ....So now what else might we get in 2020: Dave Pick #36 (i think we all know based on history this will be from 1972 or 1973), maybe 30 Days of the Dead....kinda anti-climatic this year. Certainly, Dave Pick #35 was the highlight of 2020 for releases.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Probably not, but ya never know. There’s still time for something to boost holiday sales. Didn’t they used to always release stuff just in time for the holidays? Perhaps something big to get us through what looks to be a looonnnggg winter? Just a thought...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

There is still a quarter of this year left, three whole months. Plenty of time for another box set. Something like an Ark '69 box would be just perfect. Three shows, not too big, not too expensive and PIGPEN.

Yea.. a simple clue will do.

.....besides, ever notice when Bolo is absent for long periods of time geopolitical strife, biblical plagues, historic fires and the rapid demise of seemingly stable governments and humanit is not far behind?

It's up to us to keep him benevolently occupied. The future of the free world might just depend on it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think a nice two-show run, a la RFK '89 would be perfect. Hit us with some Summer '85, or the Alaska shows.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Ark, Ark, Ark, WOOF!
“Not too big, not too expensive”, same as we like our shrubbery!
Of course I’d also take a fall 89 any ole day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Not exactly how this site works, but have read weekly for 5 or 6 years. Can comprehend the love all here have for the Dead, like most, I have more Dead Music than I can stay focused on. Love the information that is shared and especially the dives into the Dead and so many other topics, especially the thoughts on music that is Dead related Or requires a closer listen. Hopefully I can chime in with a thought once in a while that is enlightening.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Did anyone else plant shrubs today like I did? 10-30% off this time of year in these parts (semi-near Bong).

Welcome aboard LoneStar77! :-)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I am a shrubbier. Each day, I plant many shrubs.😊

Went to Alpine twice. Both times.. camped at Bong Recreational area the night before.. why? Because it felt good...

I think in 87, we camped there both nights, but I am not entirely sure of that. Memories.. where the fluck are they when you need them.

I hope so, too. The more the merrier, as they say. I wouldn't worry too much about being enlightening-near misses are often just as interesting as direct hits.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Wow. I guess your copies of 33 and 34 still haven't arrived, and you're missing Workingman's Dead and June '76. But seriously, I can't see topping Jai Alai, except by 3/1/69 on vinyl being announced. The sound on DaP 34 is just phenomenal, and great playing.

Git yo hands outta yo pocket and turn on yer luv light!
Then lean over and kiss your radio. No one will think poorly of it, just do it!
It’s all good here cept hate and bad vibes! The weirder the better!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In reply to by simonrob

And here I was, thinking of writing about the threat of a ouija wedgie -- defined as a future threat of a wedgie guided by karma (whoa!) -- and SimonRob comes up with a small box that features Pigpen.

I guess I have to re-evaluate my whole approach........ though it's a little late for that, given my apparent fixation with the ouija wedgie.

Is there still time to repent? Or roll out a supplication?

I've concluded that the answer is to ... stop posting nonsense. Over and out.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

and I think some of our crack marketing folks could work wonders with “the ouija wedgie instant karma app”
“Hurry folks the Ktel ronco ouija wedgie instant karma app while supplies last, just 99.99 for a limited time only”
A hoh! Think of all of washington walking around with basically a permanent wedgie! Huh, huh, who wants a Fresca!
And everyone thought this year was a total bust!

One mans nonsense is another mans wisdom (sounds like some doc shit!)
How’s it going Doc? You gotta be loving these 71 releases.

If you say his name three times, he magically appears.

Lots of 71 listening on the Pick of the Day thread.. Doc inspired to be sure...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by JimInMD

I'm batting well below the mendoza line when it comes to predictions but i've never let being wrong stand in the way of making a guess:

Next Dave's Picks: 10/18/72
Next Box (in 2021): 4-5 shows from April 1971

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by 80sfan

12-18-73

My weeji wedji told me so.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I sure as peaches hope it's 12/18/73.

PLEASE. I still feel the WTF moment of when I heard Dickus Pickus #1 was 12/19/73, not 12/18/73.

Therapy has helped with that, and I have traveled the universe with 12/19/73 a few times, so "it's all good, baby."

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

This might have been the first time the Dead did China Cat / I know you Rider together.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kid

You might be right, Billy.. Listening to it now, raw and powerful. The available recording leaves a bit to be desired.. wonder where the master reel is today?

If something works, stick with it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

email says Hartford 3/26 and 27, 1987. Not sure how I feel about it....

Actually, I do know how I feel about it-- would have much preferred 2 '69 shows.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Welcome all the 80’s releases. I just wish we could get a Shakedown Street in this Daves Picks series

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

...appears to be a double-whammy, though?
And I cant say I am familiar with either of these shows...

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

There's no second box coming this year. The big effort was invested in curating the outtakes of WD and AB, while slipping us (welcome) shows from Feb '71.

And an '87 show for DaP 36? That's a huge swing and a miss for a year-ending release. I sense Dave knows that the returned Betty Boards for '76 thru '78 have been a tad over-worked. As he contemplates a 2021 box from a sweet spot era ('72?) he has combed the vaults for unrepresented years, which mostly occur in the '80s. Look for Dave to do this again next year as he slows the output of sweet spot years to preserve his options for years going forward.

However, I am very interested to hear about half of AB's outtakes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Oh man! This one makes me happy as pie. Wow what a great choice!

Two 80s DaP releases back to back. Now that's what I'm talking about. Perfect counterpoint to the In The Dark era and the Workingmans Dead and American Beauty releases.

In my opinion some of their best studio work was when they stripped it down for these three albums and went into a more roots direction. Not to take away from all of the great material with Wake of the Flood thru Blues For Allah. Terrapin, Shakedown and Go To Heaven were a little overproduced in my opinion. Same with Built To Last. Great songs and songwriting but a little forced and not as much emotional impact.

Black Muddy River could have comfortably sat with any of AB,WD and ITD song selections. Push Comes To Shove and West LA Fadeaway got it the blues side. Bob and Brents song contributions made it more modern.

My Dead touring ride began in '84. By '87 he Dead were back on an upward trajectory in performance quality.

I love '69 Dead as well. I can see something from that time frame kick off the 2021 subscription for #37 or #38 with the bonus disc.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

The Setlist Program indicates two short shows with intriguing setlists, strong positive reactions from people who commented, and purportedly Lemieux's first show. I'm open minded about this one, but I'm going full get-off-my-lawn with Lemieux's first show being late '80s -- but 'it is what it is.' Let's see if he mentions this in his seaside chat held in his hammock. And what clue(s) he throws out for the 2021 box. Now we just need to know what sort of source/sound quality we're dealing with.

Meanwhile, my anticipatory energies are invested in whatever the next release is from the Owsley Stanley Foundation, as it literally could be anything.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Agree with ADEDHED re: Shakedown. When I saw the dates, I went to Relisten to check the sets, hoping against hope that one of these shows had a Shakedown. Dave, if you are doing the 80s, please give us an earth-pounding, Shakedown-- I have heard some good ones from '87.

Despite my disappointment (again, 2 '69 shows would have looked really good), these shows get very good reviews. Lots of In the Dark material here and as crazy as it is for me to write, I am glad to get a good 'Touch of Grey.' I do rather like that song.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Nostrodoses miscue? I certainly did not see that one coming either. Surprising..

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html