• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

Well said Angry Jack. LOL

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by TJPD2

but he was a man
He lived in the sand
At the Isle of this tripped out website page

Dad jokes, get your dad jokes

I doubt he is angry but ‘My friend Jack eats sugar lumps’.

I’m surprised no one has commented on Butch’s edict that no complete shows should be issued from later than 1978. While he/she is welcome to think this and to not buy them. I for one would miss the PNW, both Spring 1990, Formerly the Warlocks and several other boxes if they hadn’t been issued. The 30 Trips box would have also ended somewhat prematurely. Everyone is welcome to decide what they like and are prepared to buy but they shouldn’t dictate what others can do.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I neglected this release for a while listening to other shows. Last night I sat down for a good solid listen to the second set of Dave's 35. My notes:

Scarlet Fire: Yes Jerry's voice is awful, but once you get to the jam, it's pretty hot. Weir is not very noticeable in the mix yet. You can hear Phil and Brent well. This is Jerry heaven for his fans, his sound is right out front. Sweet transition into Fire. More Garcia artistry in his soloing during the jams.

S&D: Weir suddenly appears in the mix-what a difference that makes! Jerry is on fire during the jams.

Miracle: Nice segue Space into Miracle. Hot Miracle out jam.

Dew: Pretty fast version. First jam gets a big WOW from me. Come on the last jam was so good I listened to it twice.

RnR>JBG: Rockin' JBG.

Day Job: I like this song, it's snappy and funny at the same time.

In my book, Dave's 35 is a keeper just from this second set, and I will give it a spin often.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

Predictable. Live and let live. Let's not put down the Grateful Dead. It's such a bummer to read.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....are we going down this road again? Its bumpy for sure. I usually make a left turn onto country road 68 to help alleviate the suspension. That road is usually grated.
Or, to quote a recent stable genius, "It is what it is."
Its all good.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Butch

...holy Toledo, ok then, you don’t think it’s funny,I get it ,well the other 15,000 concert patrons sure thought it was funny at the time, what can I say more than when it comes to humor , to each thee own dagger. I answered your question, I explained it down to the sound of strings on Certain instruments feed thru the bla bla bla .Reread my posts , I’m not going to cut and past all my answers like some Frankenstein monster.geeze man. It’s pretty simple why theirs a difference, I provided more than one way. like you already stated I write fine. If you don’t like my answer than it is what it is, I’m not going to typ or provide the liner notes for this release! That would not be cool at all. Even if I can or cannot , the point is I’m not here to Expose every new release to its fullest caliber to ruin anything for anybody. A couple hints, riddles, clues never hurt anybody. and I share what I wish to share in a peaceful playful manner because that’s me. You can take it , leave it or just plain just ignore it & call it “spew” whatever, it’s all just a bag of wind to me, no more no less. Like I stated it’s none of my business what you think of me or for anyone matter of fact, I never would use the word P—-y on a Grateful Dead forum, my daughter comes on here and found it to be pretty disgusting. I think more than most would agree maybe not ? Maybe I’m just old fashion but that’s my trip. . I don’t pick or call anyone names on this forum who don’t agree or see eye to eye. I’m not mad you didn’t buy any of my CD I was selling in the past that would be really silly I believe. And to again remind you I wasn’t saying”let’s kick the shit out of butch! “ I made a simple reference to an old joke from the 70’s that’s being twisted into some riddle wrapped around aEnigma oh you’re own devise & imagination that I wish you harm in some way. Again I’m not mad I’m only interested in peace.
I also think it’s really silly if I don’t respond fast enough to you , it means I’m a liar. If you Pm me I gardnty I’ll answer all your questions in a timely manner. Ol righty then. I’ll let you get back to talking trash about me with your buddies here, it seems you get off on putting people and their opinion s down like saying nothen after year bla should be released because you don’t like it. Wow man I’m still flabbergasted over that remark! But I don’t hate you over it just a sadness falls over me when I read statements like so! Peace be with you butch , I really hope we can move on or at least Pm me about this matter in question if your still have more to add to this dulldrums

user picture

Member for

7 years

"Otter noses, wrens livers, wolf nipple chips"!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

I find something to enjoy about every era of GD music. Of course I have my preferences as we all do. Regardless of keyboardist, 1 or 2 drummers or JG's particular guitar etc., there's usually something enjoyable in every era.

A concert poll:
Regardless of their place on the concert bill, what is a unique or unusual 3-4 band concert bill that you attended or know of and wished you had?

I remember the following but didn't attend:

Grateful Dead
Patti Smith Group
Roy Ayer's Ubiquity

Alumni Stadium
Univ. of Mass.
Amherst, Ma.
5/12/79

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....put your money where your mouth is.
I'm listening to some Dead Kennedys.
So there.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I knew I was missing one. Sweet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....makes one angry yet understanding at the same time!
Might just be me, but that's just me.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Ice cream

Tootsie frootsie ice cream

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I hate serial bullshitters.

And politics.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Faith No More
Metallica
Guns 'N Roses

Giants Stadium Summer 1993. I was there for my new found interest in G'NR. They came on about an hour and a half after Metallica ended, so people were impatient. They played for a little over an hour and then left the stage for the night because someone allegedly threw a lighter up at the stage and hit Axel. I saved a Life magazine article that documented that as one of the numerous occasions G'NR imploded during a show, showed up late, or didn't play at all. Pretty disappointing but they more than made up for at the Garden on the reunion tour. I think they played almost 3 hours, sounded great and looked like they were having fun.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

There's a great quote from Daevid Allen, main man of Gong in last years book/box set.

"Whatever Gong may mean to you, its well possible that it means the very opposite to someone else. This is very pleasing to me."

It would be great if this applied to the Dead too-that people could get pleasure from differences in opinion, rather than perceive them as threats. If we all thought, saw and spoke the same we would be dead.

Jefferson Starship - Grace sloppy & drunk
J Geils Band - should have topped the bill
Gentle Giant - prog rock with these other two??

The bummer on this triple bill was it was sold as an outdoor festival gig, but due to weather concerns, switched at the last minute to an arena, being 1976 it was pre-net, so word of mouth only, and guaranteed shite seats by the time you heard and made it to the arena! But Magic Dick & J Geils rocked, woke everyone up after the opener, and we missed most of the prog rock - which was a snooze - getting to the roof of the arena for seats.
To this day, I cannot name one member, album, or song by Gentle Giant.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Iron Butterfly - Yes - Dada

1/16/1971 South Parade Pier, Southsea, England

Iron Butterfly topped the bill and played an impressively powerful set. At that time their current album was "Metamorphosis". If you've never heard it, check it out.

Yes were promoting "The Yes Album" which would be released a few weeks later.

Dada were a fine band with Robert Palmer and Elkie Brooks as their vocalists.

After Iron Butterfly's set, most of Yes joined them onstage for a lengthy jam.

Tickets cost 6/- (six shillings / six bob) if I remember correctly. The following month the currency went decimal and shillings no longer existed. Those were the days.

Went for a run yesterday with all the beautiful east coast autumn views to enjoy. Was listening to the dead during the run, and the sights and smells in the air + the sound of the dead in my ears made me realize that of all the seasons, fall is the one that i most associate with the dead. Growing up in the Philly area allowed me to see so many great east coast fall tours (close proximity to so many venues up and down the northeast). Summer tours were fun but always so hot and sweaty. Spring (at least here) was still wet and cold, but fall tours where the thing i looked forward to the most. All these years later, i can remember the drives, the crisp air in the lot, the warmth of the arena when you walked in (or the in the case of the spectrum, the smell). I'd give anything to re-live those nights but thankful for the memories i have!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

REO Speedwagon
UFO
Molly Hatchet?? Mid-September 1978-Baltimore Civic Center

DEVO
Jeff Marder(Local Comedian)-Really?? He was boo'd off stage 12/29/1978
Painters Mill Music Fair-Owings Mills MD
Last 5:
Richie Havens-1983
Don Cherry-Orient
Michael Hedges-3/20/1981 Ellicott City MD
Grateful Dead-4/26/69-Feedback/What's Become of the Baby/Feedback!!
Grateful Dead 3/18/1977-Terrapin Station(W/At A Siding/Terrapin Flyer)!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Guess I didn't realize till just now, that there are two "angel's share". Just ordered up the American Beauty version.

Appears to be only a download.?.

Though the price is "from 12.99".

Is there another version? Will it be available on cd?

Doesn't seem to be a comment section for it.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

There is a hi-res version of the same files for $30, but there won't be a CD release of this material. I would estimate that the demand is probably only in the 2000 unit range, so putting the files on physical product is likely cost-prohibitive.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

In the first year that punk rock took off in England-from summer 1976-summer 1977, a typical gig would have 4 bands on, all of whom played for about 30-40 minutes. In December 1976 I saw The Sex Pistols supported by The Buzzcocks and The Damned or The Clash-I forget which. Then I saw The Clash supported by The Jam early 1977. Good nights out, but I have no affection for this era really. They didn't hit me like Black Sabbath and Hawkwind had a few years earlier
The best multiple bill I saw - hands down-was Wembley 1998. Dig this-
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Chuck Berry.
Amazing. Just to see those names lit up in neon outside the stadium was magical. Another cool one was
Ricky Nelson
Bo Diddley
....and, somewhat less cool... Bobby Vee.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

But Bobby Vee would have been cool if Elston Gunnn was still playing piano in his band. Of course, he had his own career later as Bob Dylan!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Got a chuckle this morning when I saw a photo of Phil from 1975 and I thought it was Rick Steves for a minute! Then I realized they both toured Europe so it sort of works. I wasn't old enough to make that GD '72 tour but so glad to have the tape! Have to say of course, Phil is cool and Rick is a well-meaning nerd.

As for Dave's 36 - I see it sort of like the RFK box, two shows, two nights in one place. I like that format. Two nights at Red Rocks in 78. You hear the band stretch out over their material. I say, bring it on!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Biggest one I can think of is Dylan and Paul Simon. It must have been 1999 or 2000.

I wasn't there (was living in Wisconsin, straight outta 8th grade), but I bet it was fun. Eddie Money, though?

One I did attend:

October 9, 1981 in LA
Rolling Stones
J Geils Band
George Thorogood
PRINCE

RS were ok. I saw history, at least. Mick: "I want to come out into the audience and eat you all. boys AND girls." (as a high school senior, that made me feel a little...funny.)
J Geils were ok.
GT was fun.
Prince...awkward. thigh-high leg warmers? and it was 1981. people were not too receptive.

Glad I went for the history, but it wasn't an other-worldly experience.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

That was 1999 (at least that's when i saw them). Really fun show!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by 80sfan

The Who/Dead Day on the Green #? 10/9/76
Dead/Charlie Daniels Band/Greg Kihn Band 4/22/79
Megadeth/Nuclear Assault/Testament/ Sacrilege 1988
Rolling Stones/Meters 6/1976
Tribal Stomp 9/78: Butterfield Blues Band/Big Brother/It's a Beautiful Day/Canned heat/Country Joe & the Fish/Lee Michaels

in 2001, through a friend of a friend of a friend, i was given tickets to the taping of a Brian Wilson tribute that eventually aired on TV. Really fun night that included Brian Wilson, Elton John, Billy Joel, David Crosby, and many others. It wasn't meant for live tv so there were some stopping and starting which was odd (i'm looking at you David Crosby), but as far as experiences go, it was definitely unique: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_All-Star_Tribute_to_Brian_Wilson

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Cousins, I was at Who Dead in Oakland and the Tribal Stomp at the Greek, also.

Dylan/Tom Petty at the Greek Theater, Berkeley CA
Commander Cody, NRPS, Beach Boys, The Dead at Oakland Stadium, 6/8/74
Eddie Money, The Outlaws, Santana, The Dead at Autzen Stadium, Eugene OR 6/25/78
NRPS, The Blues Brothers, The Dead at the closing of Winterland 12/31/78

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

How could I forget 12/31/78??
Also: Dead/Warren Zevon 6/7 & 8/1980 Folsom Field...you were there too!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Watching a 1947 movie Lured, supposed to take place London.

Ad on front of bus - I assume ad and not a national message.

Just text - Buy Card Boxes of Fifty and get More Coupons

The shot cut the ending "s" and half the "n", so I'm assuming that.

What was the product? Tea? A box of 50 came with more "product coupons" , per count, then say a box of 10?
Nobody in this group old enough to know?

By product coupons I mean manufacturers coupons you collect and cash in for "gifts". In 'Merica, Raleigh cigarettes came with a "coupon" on the back of every pack, if you bought a carton, you got 10, plus extra in the carton. You could save up a 100 and get a Raleigh ashtray or go big,,, collection 30,000 and get the iron lung. My buddy's father was saving up for that.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I missed the Tribal Stomp, I think the S.F.Blues festival might have been going on that day, not completely sure but I think that's the reason I missed it. I would have liked to to see Paul Butterfield.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I couldn't think of any, then remember the Dylan/Dead/Petty scene.

Then I just remembered Lockn. Some wild mix moments there.

Biggest one two years ago. George Clinton -> Widespread Panic. This guy left the crowd shell-shocked. Panic came out and the place had silence over it like everyone was struck dumb by an electric shock. After about 30 seconds of this the Panic drummer was equally shocked and said " wow, that was a lot of music". That was a moment.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Back in like 82? Weir was going around with a thing "the sound of San Francisco", the one group was "Zero". Greatest "she's not there" EVER, EVER, EVER done. Believe me, I was there, trippin balls and it was THAT good. :-)

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I was at that UMass, Amherst fest. An odd mix of fans. I do recall someone from the Hell's Angels revving his chopper to NFA as he wheeled up to the front of the crowd.

Couple of triple bills I recall:
Doobie Bros., Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Firefall at Nassau Colliseum, Fall '76 (Yes, Skynyrd kicked ass).
Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, and the Fabulous Thunderbirds (featuring a teenaged Stevie Ray Vaughan), Cotton Bowl, Fall '81.

Here's one I would have attended if I had been old enough, and I am an old Dukie:

Duke University, Joe College Weekend 1971: Paul Butterfield, NRPS, The Beach Boys, Grateful Dead, and Mountain.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

In reply to by nitecat

"11 August 1967. "Direct from England", Herman's Hermits, The Who and special guests The Blues Magoos are in Baltimore, Maryland and tonight play a show at 8:30pm at the Civic Center."

So long Herman's Hermits, Hello Who...I loved the Blues Magoos back in the day.

Another interesting combination - 9/27/1969 - Canned Heat, Youngbloods and Tracter at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Jimmy Cliff
Then
Robert Cray
Then
Grateful Dead

An atrocious performance by the GD. Still, glad I went.

A mere 6 days later, they played Ripple.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html