• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A post- Hornsby '90s show would make a pleasant change.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I agree with Oroborous’ sentiments on these releases. For me, I miss the days of attending concerts (and Covid aside), actual LIVE music, the crowds, the atmosphere, and far more than just the Dead, but ALL the great music. Before scalpers were bots, and best seats could be had by lining up in rain, or heat, cold and damp, with friends who added to the experience and laughs, and those great tickets could be bought for a fraction of today’s prices. (Neil Young & Crazy Horse on the original Rust Never Sleeps tour from great seats, for pocket money, or The Band on their final tour, to name just two) Now, so many of the performers I flocked to see in my youth just don’t tour anymore, or if they do, you are buying bleacher tickets at prime prices, if you are lucky. Planning to go with the gang? Good luck getting seats together now. So these Dave’s releases represent to me some of that early concert fun. Yes, some lesser, some way better, but that, too, is part of the joy. And two shows in one release sounds like a sound bargain. Just my two cents.
And for folks in the Seattle area, I urge you to embrace the new Kraken franchise - you will love the game as I have for 60 years+, and since the franchise hired Ron Francis, a legend as a player and a gentleman as a person, you are in great hands. (Ron was a long time Hartford Whaler, when they were in the NHL, and I am positive this was why Dave Kloc put the whales on the cover of DaP 36, from Hartford). Chances are, the team will be a powerhouse quickly, along the lines of Las Vegas in 2-3 years, and as a guy that has followed the sad sack Toronto Maple Leafs as long as I have, that means something.
So, in summary, enjoy these releases, they never fail to entertain me, because nothing beats “live” music, and Grateful Dead “Live” music is as good as it gets. And Seattle, enjoy the Kraken, you won’t be disappointed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That makes two Ron Francis references in this thread in the last 24 hours. :)

Glad to see another northern team in the league and Seattle deserves a franchise. Now they just need to contract Phoenix, Nashville, Carolina, Dallas and the Panthers to get the level of talent more concentrated. One of those can move to Quebec I suppose.

Good discussion about the releases. Oroborous said it well.

More Maple Leafs jokes please!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I typed a post this morning, but cannot bring myself to post it; please PM me if for some reason you think you want to read it! :)

The gist of it is that 26 of 40 shows from 1974 have been released, even if just partially. So have 36 of 82 from 1972 and 32 of 60 from 1977. My notes from 1984 and 1987 say that I have enjoyed the two and five shows, respectively, that have been released from those years, which were still part of the Garcia era.

The other point from my post, made also by Oro, is that we can all keep supporting this fun trip, or we can withhold the meager monies requested of us, and then we can stop getting shows, including all the free November music and the free Tapers' Section music, and the Free GD Hour . . .

Confession time--I could not care less about the shows from late 1969 through Keith's first show. But when those shows are released (and there have been many), I smile and feel Grateful that people who love that era are getting some kind dessert.

Be kind, rewind.

p.s. If Dave wants to indulge himself a bit after all these years and all this work by releasing his first show, then bless him. And we may be getting a whole new distribution model after this release, no? Dave ends the Dave's Picks series by releasing a cool show that got him on the bus? I'm willing to bet that whatever he and Rhino do will enhance my musical life.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Has this been officially announced?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by mhammond12

Yes.. 36 was announced with a picture of the cover art via email as follows:

Hard to believe but we've come upon the very last release in our 2020 Dave's Picks Series. DAVE’S PICKS VOL.36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) will be up for pre-order on Thursday, October 15th at 10am PT. Set that alarm and don't hit snooze!

DHBrewer.. would love to hear your rant.. I get the feeling it would crack me up.

Also, for what it's worth, I quite liked the recent 83 and 84 Dave's Picks. They might not get the quite the speaker time as my other children.. but sometimes you need some high-octane workout music. Palate cleanser for the more delicate intricacies of my favorite acid jazz 74 shows. 35 must have come at just the right time as it probably has four or five partial listens and I enjoyed the hell out of them all.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I like all the eras, they all have their charm. A great performance is a great performance whenever the time. Someone here once said if you stop at 71, then you don't get a long list of GREAT standards,,, can you imagine no Eyes!!! Early stuff,,, can you beat a great Viola? Of course not. Luckily we got Dew for a long time.

I like the 4 times a year surprise of the picks, on the monetary front you either have the money to spend or don't. Two positives in this modern world, copies always available somewhere and it seems the bonus disc always sells for the price of the subscription on the aftermarket (for good or ill I agree). Past that thank the band members that made the music possible and allow it to be up on the archive, something every can afford :-)

Now on this 37 front,,, my selfish pick, 1975-06-17 - Winterland Arena - San Francisco, CA . No wasn't my first show, never been to Winterland, but it will the last 75 show not to be released! I want to cross 75 off the need list!! Come on Dave,,, do it for Dennie.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

DHB, always love to hear your thoughts!
Dennis, always love how you crack me up!
Format: as others have theorized, perhaps they want to spoon out “the good stuff” (not my words) thus mixing it up and keeping enough of those “nuggets” to keep it interesting.
Also, perhaps not enough 60s; variety, good sources etc, to do one every year, but agree we could use more.
Obviously not everyone is always gonna be happy, but I’d love to see say alternate 60 or post Brent 90, with 2 70s, and a 80 release every year. Think that would be fair, cover most sweet spots, cover the ABCD costs etc,and yeah, sometimes ya might get one your not thrilled about. Fir that see previous post...

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

all I am saying, is give GD87 a chance. _two_ shows!

giving us 87 means new explorations, perspectives, viewpoints, new space, etc. No, it ain't 12/18/73, or Europe 72, or some monster 69. But...I still love Daves 35, and will continue to subscribe until I literally join the dead, or the series ends.

Dave
I'm only tripping
it turns me on

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

6-18-75 probably needs to be reserved for the Blues For Allah 50th release.
Sorry to rain on your parade.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

as well. Keep 'em coming...as long as there is the CD option.
Just got a preview of the new Holly Bowling album. The St. Stephen brought me to tears.
I want that played at my funeral...not that I'm in any way knocking on death's door. I don't want to get on the cart.
I feel happy.

I think that it will have to be unless it’s going to be a chop job.

I don’t think that I have ever listened to these shows so it will all be new to me.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

We might need look into the Vegas odds, but my bookie is saying a Chop Job is the 9 to 1 favorite.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I never saw the Dead. I never listened to the Dead until a couple of years ago. I teach chorus and am a big music fan. I've seen most of the big 70s bands a few times. I came to love the Dead's sound in '72 and branched out in both directions (60s and 80s). What a powerhouse in the 60s Primal Dead period, with slight prog leanings and a desire to do improv and blues. What an incredible transition into a jazzier version of themselves with the improv, and country folk leanings. Then I hear a band that broke up in 1974 and reformed as a different animal in 1976. I suppose this was Jerry's desire, but they had morphed into a new band in their sound and style. They still had a lot of good songs in them and this form of the band thrived a couple years. Then they imploded and returned as a downgraded shadow of themselves with many bright moments and reminders of what they once were, but that is a far cry from the blazing comet they were night after night through 1974. To a music listener with absolutely no emotional ties to the band, there is no need for complete shows after 1978. Pack up the new songs in Road Trips style collections so we can hear Feel Like a Stranger, Foolish Heart, Throwing Stones, Standing on the Moon and Touch of Grey. But the complete shows with the bar band keyboardists (excluding Hornsby) are simply not necessary for those who are just interested in the best the band has to offer. Two 80s picks in a row is so disappointing. The word manipulated was used. Let's put it this way. This would not have happened if they did not also make available those two February 1971 shows. There's always an extent to which marketing always plays a role and marketing is manipulation by its nature. That is just a fact so we take our chances. Half of these subscriptions are going to eBay at reasonable prices so I too will probably be out next year. Not a wise marketing decision for Dave's Picks now that they have 22K cranking out at a time.

I am more familiar with 3/26, in checking out the next night, I had to laugh at one of the comments:

Great Show. The Goonie Birds were flying hight (sic) that night.
-Anonymous

I don't think this anonymous guy was one bit disappointed!

Probably 4 discs

2 per show

Ja, wir gripen immer wieder. "Dankbaren Toten in 1987? Ach du lieber Zeit!"

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Has that way back machine been changed from 69 to 10/8/89?
Speaking of, scientist now believe time travel is mathematically possible....coincidence???

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

That "Op-ed" should be added to the Dead 101 syllabus as required reading. Good stuff...

...“sometimes I wish there wasn’t a democracy system because then a couple of us guys could take this guy back outside and just kick The Shit out of him!” Lmao ha ha
I’m Just joking ‘around and around’ my brother and sisters! The Healing Power of Laughter, one of the best! Have a grateful evening everyone, peace be with you all! 🙏❤️💀🌹
PS: Guess&Name the person I just quoted correctly and you will win a FREE Grateful Dead item at no cost/charge. First person to give the correct answer wins!
*winner is responsible for all shipping costs. Lmao ha ha just joking around again, shipping is on me!
Good luck ladies and gentlemen! Until next time, be safe be kind & do your best to remember, “Smile Smile Smile”! Ciao’ & rock on! 💀🌹

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Having lived most of my life in the Mid-West, I am a beef eater. Nothing better to me than an USDA medium rare ribeye steak…I love it. Even a thick and juicy, perfectly grilled burger with all the fixins’ and an ice cold beer on the side is all it takes to send me to gastro-nirvana.

Seafood, on the other hand, is not my typical go to cuisine. However, when the opportunity for a fresh & well prepared fish dinner presents itself, I’m not shy about it, and usually find myself thoroughly enjoying the fruits of the sea. In fact, on occasions when I am visiting areas near the ocean, I will often choose the local seafood specialties multiple times during my stay. It is a treat.

It is not my place to pass judgement on other peoples’ culinary choices. I simply say, ‘eat and be merry’, and may your plate be full & satisfying. However, for this Ohio boy, I prefer variety in my diet. I love burgers, but to have them every day would become boring. Not only would I miss out on the vast array of spice life has to offer, but the actual ‘favorite’ burger meal would cease to be savored. For myself, I prefer to mix in some seafood, and chicken, and pork, and veggie dishes, and pizza, and even an occasional peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

With that, I wish to state that I thoroughly enjoyed DaP 35, and I can’t wait to receive DaP 36. Like many others, my favorite Dead era is early to mid 70's, but I find the entire Dead body of work to be a plentiful cornucopia filled with an abundance of delight. I am grateful for this series of complete shows, and I hope that it will continue for a long time. I, for one, will definitely keep coming back to this buffet line.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

(wince...) that guy in the White House?

Donald...gag....urp...Trump? (vomitorius ejecta!)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Variety IS the spice of life.

I'm tickled pink to get two 80s picks in a row. It's not like they haven't released two 70s shows in a row.

Dave's 35 is cranking now. That Let It Grow alone is worth the year subscription price. Jerry kills it in that version.

Hartford 87 has an Uncle John's > Dew that transcends. That too alone is worth the year subscription. 10/29/77 and the 74 releases this year were also winning picks.

My Brother Esau - I think my favorite version was the one I caught at Alpine 87. Nice drum intro. Nice snakey version.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Why is my name in the subject line of your post about taking people out back and beating the shit out of them? Contest? Please elaborate. Because frankly if someone wrote something like that about you, you would be crying like a pussy that you're being cyber bullied.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Does anyone know Dave's e-dress? I tried vault@dead.net, but it came back. Not to be all Pollyannaish, but I was e-mailing him to thank him for having great variety in the releases. The past few years have seen music from every era come out of The Vault.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

On another forum that focuses on DaP 2020, someone passed along that Charlie Miller the remaster genius, has stated that DaP 36 is four discs and two complete shows. No chop.

Just passing along this third-hand, unsubstantiated report -- my standard for quality content -- for what it's worth. We'll see soon enough. Maybe Dave L's astute handling of the vault contents has earned enough money that Pinkus gave him the go-ahead on Dave's first two shows, spread over four discs. (Presuming that Dave went to both. If not, his Deadhead membership will be reviewed. This from the guy who actually walked away from experiencing 6-10-73 -- it still stings, 47 years later...)

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

OK I'll weigh in, I welcome the variety and in my experience 1987 was a good year for the band. I have not heard these shows, and my practice is not to check them out until the Dave's arrives. I look forward to the UJB>DEW. 1987 was my biggest year for seeing the Dead, so I have fond memories, also, saw them 40 times, thanks in part to many bay area shows. Saw all three west coast Dead-Dylan. Also met my wonderful girlfriend of over 30 years in January 87 at a Dead show the SF Civic. What a great year!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I saw some fantastic Garcia shows in1987. I saw them at Frenches Camp ,electric on the Eel, which was a real trip. I saw all the Warfield shows with David Nelson and Sandy Rothman, those were fantastic. Saw some fantastic Dead shows, 7/24/87 with Dylan was very cool. Nite Cat, I was also at those S.F. Civic shows. 5/9/87 at Laguna Seca was a great show.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Billy I swear we must have rubbed shoulders at some shows, because you seem to have attended most of the bay area shows I was at year after year.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Nite Cat, your first show was 12/31/71, that was my brothers first show also. Nite Cat, pm me your email, I have a Dead item you might be interested in.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Hey folks.. please let's try and keep politics out of these threads. It doesn't belong here and this is place is a last refuge for people trying to avoid this very subject.

No reason for any uncouth language & name calling, the joke has seemed to gone over your head, it’s all good,no worries my man. 🙏

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Thank you both.

Butch - for using your ears alone to provide an accurate assessment of the band over the years.

LMG - for not changing your icon. I rely on that beacon to scroll past your spew.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Man, I need some more popcorn!

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by proudfoot

Hello their ProudFoot, thank you for taking a guess on who made the above statement/Quote.
I’m sorry to say the answer is not ‘The President of the United States of America’, at this time being ‘Donald Trump’
The Answer is, “Jim Morrison” of The Doors!
While the the ‘Doors’ were on tour during 1970, the band and I would say in my opinion,” more so by the record label & Paul R. The Doors long term producer and along came the bands long term Recording engineer ‘Bruce Botnick’ was recording performances to make a live album that what eventually became ‘absolutely live’ double LP. Any way to get to the point of all of this, during many of the Doors performances/concerts After the “‘ Miami fiasco“ which was allegations of Jim Morrison exposing himself during the doors performance in Miami Florida 1969. When the doors returned back to touring,during many of these concerts, there was quite a few Attendees who would make “shout outs & many hecklers not so much towards the Doors but more towards Jim and his supposed public nakedness! At times Jim would make say comebacks. And Jim Morrison was recorded saying my Quote In question during a performance where he responded to one of these hecklers and cat collars cat calls, lol , Jim Morrison had a weird Sense of humor and. At another performance Jim Morrison asked one hecklerif ...”if he’d taken a good shit lately ?! Like I said Jim could go out there sometimes!
Theirs a famous recording Of Jim speaking about democracy versus astrology added to the Doors infamous song ‘Roadhouses blues” which was recorded During the 1970 ‘Boston arena’ performances if I remember remember correctly. What was my whole point of it all it was really all about the recent heckling of the next Dave’s Picks 36 being two performances from 1987 and how some fans can actually believe nothen good came from the 80s. I think to really ‘get’ the Grateful dead one has to keep an open minded attitude. Like Jerry Garcia more than once stating “the dead isn’t for everyone; it’s like licorice!”
Believe it or not Jim Morrison felt the same way with his work with the ‘Doors’. Jim was once quoted saying,” the Doors is a band people Love to hate” lol ha ha! well that was the reason for my post, it had nothen to due or towards member ‘Butch’ it was a reflection on his recent post stating all the “disappointment among many fans of the band & subscribers of the Dave’s Picks 2020 Yearly prescription in the Dave’s Picks series. To this date , there’s been only three 80’s picks out of 35 picks so far in the series.
I don’t understand how my post could be looked at as an. Offense to a member but that was not my intention at all so to Butch if you were thinking I was making a personal attack on you the truth of the matter I truly didn’t mean it to look that way if or it seems you believe so. and I really didn’t. sorry if you feel/felt Differently againI only wish you peace. Your name calling don’t bother me I just believe it doesn’t belong on this grateful little community forum we all seem to enjoy. Again it’s over with and I’ve moved on , I hope I cleared some thing up for you butch . Take care & have a grateful day butch and to everyone else here. Be safe be kind and keep on truck’n all you beautiful people out there in deadland!
🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Sorry to disappoint you with my “spew”!
Your very kind , thank you for letting me know how you feel. Peace be with you! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

"That" name popped up, so my guess was an innocent participation. Yikes.

Strange days.

Animosity rears its ugly head.

So, how about that new Daves?

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Well said... I never thought about it like that but how true. Pig was also very much a bar band keyboardist, but it worked for the times. Keith was brilliant, a virtuoso and an insanely good improvisationalist. It never got that good again. But, that was offset by Donna's unnecessary atonal shrieking.

So there was never a "perfect" Dead era, really. Or one could say that they were all perfect in their way. My listening pleasure is undiminished by any of it, although I always cut the volume when "Playing In The Band" comes back in from the improv and Donna's horrible, embarrassing banshee wails spoil the soup - very briefly.

Brent was a much more palatable keyboard player than vocalist, but he was no Keith Godchaux. Vince Welnick they settled on because it was easy and they were lazy. Nothing against Vince, personally, it was the gig of his lifetime.

Be well everyone.

\m/

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I don't believe it's a funny joke to threaten to take someone out back and beat the shit out of them. Talk about uncouth. Your response though is perfectly well written. You seem to write just fine, and then gaslight and obfuscate when you cross the line on what's considered good taste, or are called out on inappropriate speech towards members here. What you wrote is a veiled threat. The veil was the :-) and the statement that you were just joking. It's not funny at all, and you certainly don't have the rapport with me to assume I would get a kick out of it. You've also gone on to explain that you wrote it because you disagreed with my opinion. So I borrowed the word "obfuscating" from one person on the American Beauty page who described the method of retreat you use when people ask you for more details on these fantastic claims you make. That is the perfect word for what you did in response to my question about technical differences you claim were used to engineer the American Beauty bonus concert at Port Chester vs the one released with Workingman's Dead. It was a simple question. Where did you get the information? You didn't just say that it sounded different on the listening party tracks. You claimed a different process was used to engineer the two different shows from Port Chester. Obfuscating is to be evasive, unclear, or confusing. That's you LMG. I challenge you to give a straight written answer to your claim where you said (and this is a direct copy and paste of your words) "the 71’ performance included in the 50th American Beauty Release has a different approach to the overall quality performance finished master. their is a technical difference in the mix and mastering." In addition you said that Ned was one of the factors, so point taken, the show will sound different with Ned. But a guest musician has nothing to do with the technical approach to mastering the tapes that you claim occurred in this show. What is the technical difference? I don't tune in here much, but I thought you had read an article somewhere, etc. But I've seen a few posts and PMs now this is just your MO. At first I thought you were just upset with me because I chose not to buy your Europe 72 CDs. It sounds like this is just "what your trip is"

Going back to keyboardists, Tom Constanten brought a lot to the mix. I believe he helped shape Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa to be the albums they were. His harpsichord playing elevated the live Mountains of the Moon, too, and although he was generally quiet in the overall mix, his presence lent psychedelic shimmer at all times. Its always a something of surprise when he cuts through and solos-there are a few brief moments on the Lovelight from the recently mentioned 4/6/69 where he comes through unexpectedly clearly. Good stuff.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Butch

Y’all certainly entitled to your opinion, but I’ve heard every member of the band, especially Bobby and Jerry say the exact opposite!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html