• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

OK. Something I am not very familiar with.

Thank you for the change of pace, Dave.

Pass the refreshments and listen to the music play, my Grateful brothers and occasional sister.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Never trust a Prankster.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Didn’t see that coming lol
I was at those shows so I’m always happy to get shows I was at, but these wouldn’t have been my first pick, and never would have guessed...
LOL perhaps a little nepotism! I wonder what shows Pinkus sp? went to, or is in too, specifically his first as I’m sure that gets into the mix. Hey, if I were in charge I’d probably do the same thing and it’s not like their bad shows.
I know some folks just can’t do “80s” but I think most folks will like these?
Can’t wait to hear the chat.

EDIT: perhaps he saving Shakedown for that big summer 85 box via 6/30/85 😉

EDIT: the 27th has a second set Cumberland for Vguy! 😃 But no Peggy O for Jim ☹️

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Another 80s show(s). Fine by me. I enjoyed the HECK out of the 1987 Giants Box show. And the first night from DaP36 was my 17th birthday (but I was four years away from getting on the bus).

Bring it on, I say! My 70's shelves are full to bursting. The 80's shelves could use some fleshing out . . .

Dave already said that there would be a fall box, and my guess is the other three February 1971 Capitol shows. It's $99, and you can complete the run that you started with TFTV, WD50, and AB50.

Then it's 12/01/79 or 11/24/78 from the returned Bettys to kick off the subscription period. With 6/10/73 as the "Subscriptions close in a week, but this is the second show you'll receive . . . " enticement.

They gave all they had . . . why you feel you need more . . . ?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The Youngbloods March 1970 would be nice.

As for Dave's 36, I just hope that all band members are audible, something that was not the case on Dave's 35. All down to the source tape, of course.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sung to the tune of “a very good year”. When I was 33 it was a very good year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

Interesting pick(s). I like it! Other than Ticket to New Years, View IV, and 7/12 from the Giants Box, it's an underrepresented year.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by mcgrupp216

Did we get pranked? Where did this 36 intel come from? Searched but didn’t see anything?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It’s announced in the latest GD email. Pre-orders from 15th Oct 10:00 PT.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Ah, don’t get that on this device...thanks!

I agree with ShaggyFraggle - love the artwork! Knowing Dave Kloc is a serious hockey fan, i’m guessing this cover is a nod to the now defunct Hartford Whalers of yore. Check out Dave’s site for more of his amazing work (which graces my walls and a t-shirt on one of my boys) - a great talent, and a heck of a good guy, to boot! Musically, this one from 1987 should be a killer.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I too really like the Giants box '87 show. I wonder if its because it was recorded on a 24 track master. The muddled sound is the main thing holding back the 80s Dave's so far released. If these shows sound good i'm sure i'll be thrilled.

Flying whales is definitely a nod to Ronny Francis and the Whalers.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

a happy Jerry=great anticipation for me. One of the posters on the show page calls 3/27 one of his favorite second sets. Compilation or 2 full shows? Something special for 36 indeed!

https://www.dead.net/show/march-27-1987

P.S. Still no Shakedown in the DaP series?

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

Cant wait for 36. I wish it was the Hampton shows just 2-4 days earlier. My first shows I taped. It was a lot of crazy. First shows of Grateful Dead on the East Coast since before Jerry got sick. The March 22 show was nuts, just so much energy. I have not listened to the Hartford shows in years and years, and they were just good audience tapes, so a nice board works for me. Really wish they would consider a few more matrix recordings to add just a bit more ambiance and crowd energy. I know Hartford also had a lot of that pent up Deadhead corridor energy.

Cheers to all!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

3/26,27/87
A far FAR cry from 12/18/73.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Has a Shakedown is the first thought that comes to mind. Maybe he's saving it for that.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by mcgrupp216

I know some will disagree, but that Shakedown from VFTV IV is one I love. It is not the longest. To me it just shows how professional they were. They launch into Shakedown and as they enter the solo's part, you see them just drop down into this improvisational monster. Jerry's picking is fantastic. If memory serves, you can see Bob make a minor mistake and he looks over at Jerry like "I know I am going to get a scolding." But Jerry never looks up at all. Then I think Jerry has a minor flaw and makes a weird face. I might be pulling 2 different shows. Oh well, guess it is time to review that one again. It is just weird to think about, all those years of rehearsal and Bob was not wanting to make Jerry unpleased. Then Jerry with his "it's only one jam session" attitude makes for an interesting dynamic in the band. You even see Brent shake his head at a minor flub, but dang fun short Shiekhdown.

Speaking of the dvd's "All the Years Combined," at one point last year that there were so few original unopened copies that the asking price for new was $615. Wow, of course, Shakedown Stream has popped that bubble.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I'm pleased with this one. I don't have either show, but I streamed both shows about a year ago.
Somewhere around the house, I have 3/30 (WMMR broadcast and 4/7 (WNEW b'cast) I used to wish that either one of these shows would be released someday, but I guess Hartford is better.

With Dave's Picks 36 release we are tying with Dick's Picks 36, which was released in October 2005.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

.....i have no issues at all with that. Especially if its two shows in one.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by hendrixfreak

.theire are a few different perspectives on the matter of how many boxsets are going to be released , in total, or count of deferent angles & forms of media .
..Dave’s 36 acts like a mini Boxset , even if they are only two short shows as they are being described by some members.
I remember posting Dave’s would be another 80’s release and I was laughed at , lol, it’s all good. And I also messaged a member on the subject not to long agai that stated not 1pick , and two picks all in one. I believe I was talking to deafvikes, or someone else, I need to review my message as I save all of them and posts as well. 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Apparently there is 1 copy at Amz for $495.

I never bought it because I have all the individual shows on DVD except So Far which I did have on VHS in the early 90’s (even made an audio copy on cassette for my car).
I checked what the bonus disc has, it has Shakedown 6-22-91.
So we know video of that show exists, and that it has a Shakedown.....

Dave,
We need new video releases on BluRay (and streaming for those who prefer that).
Including, but not limited to:

Everything that hasn’t been officially released yet that has Pigpen,
Winterland 10/74 - complete
Fall 1980 - complete
Alpine 89 - complete
Tinley Park 90 - complete
11-3-91

And fire up Shakedown Stream with some new video.
Winter”s coming, the windows will be filled with frost.....
We’re going to need entertainment.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Great year...can't wait to get my hands on this release. Hoping for two complete shows, but I'll gladly drink whatever's being served. Job well done AGAIN, Dave...looking forward to the chat.

--And right around the corner, "30 Days of the Dead"....what a great time to be a Head.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

When I first saw that we were getting 3/26/87 & 3/27/87, i will admit I was a little disappointed. I was thinking to myself "1987 is so close to 1985..." Then I quickly told myself its all good as we are getting 2 shows not just one. That's always a good thing.

However a while later I recalled that I had heard the He's Gone from 3/26/87 before. Its really good- the boys go after it on the a capella section of the song, especially Jerry. That He's Gone and the Bird Song from the same show were released on 30 Days of Dead.

So I feel like these may be a high energy shows and that's allright with me. Plus I have this feeling that Dave L. must have been considering this one for while just because we got some tracks on 30 Days of Dead already.

I say bring it on!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I don't see it as two short shows,,, the two shows measure out to 4.5 hours. Hard to believe they would cut them up, wasn't that the point of "Dave's",,, full shows? And if we get 2 full shows,, that's a big bonus in my book. Two nights same city, no repeats, setlist of the day. Nice. The Eye's I have sounded nice.

I like the whales.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

I have never been interested in hockey
But
Today is the 37th anniversary of my wife and my meeting
So she bought me a Seattle Kraken Tshirt

Y'all NHL freaks jealous?

:)))

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Oof, '87 after '84? That's hugely disappointing. Vol. 35 is very close to a one-and-done for me (I'll listen to the Feel Like A Stranger again some day, and maybe the Esau, but that's about it.)

I jumped on headyversion.com to see what from these '87 shows people considered "heady," and the Touch was rated #1. Went to the archive to see what it sounded like, and yep, it sounds like Jerry sounded by '87. Pretty rough.

I've reached that point, like a lot of others, I suspect, where I'll really have to be knocked out by the Vol. 37 pick to renew the sub. Now that it's 22K, I can grab the picks I want a la carte, and pass on stuff like this. It's all well and good for people to say, "Well, you can just give them away," but if I pay $100 for 4 shows, and don't want 2 of them, that's $50 each for 2 shows. Not even close to being worth it.

Now that I've vented, I'd like to point out to those celebrating this release that some of you do exactly what I just did every single time a new pick gets announced and it's from the 70s. It's a bummer, isn't it? Just sayin'.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

GF, I need to revisit that View 4 Shakedown. Love that series. Oh, and the Shakedown that should have been on a Dave’s Picks - me thinks - is Vol. 31. Should have been 12/5/79!

Anyway, yes, I’m definitely looking forward to these ‘87s. Also, it’s Lemieux’s first show and Charlie Miller’s favorite show!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by MrHeartbreak

Your last post sums up how I feel about this release pretty well. 1987 after 1984 is taking the proverbial. The fact that Dave's Picks 37-and 38, for that matter-will quite likely be from stellar years underlines to me how manipulative this series has become. I feel like stopping subscribing - but then it wouldn't surprise me if 37 and 38 are from 1972 or 1969-with a bonus disc chucked with one of them. This will clearly be an attempt to keep people like me subscribing, and buying shows that they otherwise wouldn't buy. A la carte seems the way to go. I gave up smoking, so surely I can give up subscribing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Daverock, I hope you are wrong about this. I think it is too early to tell, however, to support your theory, one of the last two releases from last year was from December '79 and all '80s releases have come in the second half of the year which suggests that indeed the potentially problematic releases are being released in the second half of the year, when nobody knows in advance what those releases will be. By problematic, I mean releases that were recorded on cassette tapes where the sound quality is barely acceptable or where Jerry's voice is so shot that it makes one cringe. We know that most of the top notch shows have already been released and it seems reasonable to assume that the great shows that are still to be released will come out in the first half of the year. It also seems reasonable to assume that this is due to the marketing policy of the Rhino bean counters. The bottom line is that Rhino are just another commercial enterprise and as such, making as much money as possible is the reason for their existence. Call me cynical if you like, but my cynicism comes from age and experience. Grumpy old men rule!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by simonrob

Jerry's comeback after the coma was one of the best stories of the 30 year run of the Dead. I feel for the people that don't like their music past (pick your year). Bob Weir considers the late eighties through Brent's passing some of the best playing they ever had, but what does he know??
#32 was from the Spectrum 3/24/1973. Oh and a great show.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by DeadVikes

Weird, i usually get the emails but apparently missed this one (better check that i'm still on their list).

If the next Dave's is indeed from 1987 i think that's cool. The boys were really energized in 87 and a quick glance at those set lists makes me pretty excited to hear it (must admit i'm unfamiliar with those shows).

Dave has always advertised that this series will represent every era of the band. It just took some time to ramp up the Brent era picks. There is some risk subscribing to a series where you only know 50% of the releases in advance. Some people hope and pray for no 80s shows, while others would like some variety from the usual 70s shows (no matter how great they are). After 36 picks i think it's safe to say there is something for everyone.

They are certainly making enough of these now where you can choose not to subscribe and still have a great shot at getting the releases you want (as long as you don't care about the annual bonus disc).

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Count me in as skeptical. This release seems like Dave’s gift to himself. I saw six shows of this tour, including the first night of Hartford. None of them were overly memorable. More like a few highlights here and there. Have not listened to any of that tour since seeing the shows. If I recall, 3/26 had a cool Midnight Hour/Cold Rain opener, a nice Birdsong and a high energy China/Rider.

Dave has done a superb job, but the supply of quality shows is certainly dwindling. I will give the subscription one more year and then likely revert to a la carte.

Seattle Kraken - not a huge fan of the name, but the jersey design is tremendous. They really look nice. By the way, congrats to the Lightning. Way to go Jon. You are a first class guy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

It's always open to debate when you judge someone's motives on the basis on their actions. In this case, the honourable thing for Dave Lemieux to do would be to release two shows from the 1979-1995 timespan to open the season on Dave's Picks 2021. That would be an open demonstration that he genuinely believes shows from this era are as valid as the ones preceding it. If he goes back to 1969-1974, then...
Announcing all four shows to be released would be a bonus-but again, I think the reason this isn't done is because they are fearful that subscription numbers would drop if people knew what they would be shelling out for.
As I have said before-the 1960s are shockingly underrepresented in this series. Many unreleased great shows there, I would have thought.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock, do you feel that you have been taken advantage of?

I agree with your suggestion, Dave should pick a 1991 show for DaP 37 and announce it when early bird subscriptions start, and not announce what DaP 38 and the bonus disc are until April when it is ready to go on sale.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

If a 1987 show is to be the release for this episode of Dave's Picks, why didn't he choose the two nights BEFORE this, from Hampton? Great Googly-Moogly, the 03/24/1987 show has the most off-the-hook Terrapin EVER! If there was going to be a 1987 show released by this series, I was really hoping it would be this Hampton Show. I was there, that Terrapin had the entire crowd pushed to the back of the Coliseum like those old Maxell ads showing the music blowing the guy in the chair back.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Jack_O_Roses 0420

I might be reading this wrong, but i don't think it's fair to suggest Dave chooses potentially undesirable shows once people have paid their money. In fact he released some pretty amazing shows for the 3rd and 4th picks of the year:

#32 - March 1973
#31 - Dec 1979
#28 - June 1976
#27 - Sept 1983
#24 - Aug 1972
#23 - Jan 1978
#20 - Dec 1981
#19 - Jan 1970
#16 - March 1973
#15 - April 1978
#12 - Nov 1977
#11 - Nov 1972
#8 - Nov 1980
#7 - Apr 1978
#4 - Sept 76
#3 - Oct 1971

Again, i might be missing the point, but while this year is different in that there are back to back 80s releases, historically the 3rd and 4th picks of the year include some pretty amazing shows spanning the dead's history.

... but it always seemed obvious to me, I am not surprised. I am ok with this pick. My wow factor is between 68 through 74. ..but I enjoy hot shows from all years and eras. I am familiar with these shows, I love their mid to late 80's take on Desolation Row for example, it's got a Dew, a Cumberland. We can't be surprised to see these shows get released.

What I do find surprising is where it is in the rotation and on the biggest subscription year so far. The marketing part of my mind thinks this will affect their ability to so gracefully hit the 22k mark next year, time will tell. I would go so far to say they probably could have done a better job mixing things up the last 9 years and could have done a better job mixing it up this year too. As unpredictability affects the stock market, it might just affect their subscription market. Finally, I really hope (wish) that if they are going to release more of these cassette masters that they do a little better job remastering them. #35 sounded 'pretty good' but I have to believe the more qualified (and considerate) posters here that warned it was not quite pitch corrected. I wonder out loud if there are issues with other aspects of the cleanup and restoration efforts in these years (dolby vs not etc).

Not a rant.. I am ok with this release just curious to the timing, etc. Did someone mention 12/18/1973? (hehe)

Hey, that quitting smoking shit was easy,,,, quit subscribing??? Don't know if I have enough man in me for that!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I would love a crisp '91! Though honestly, there are (a lot of) times I actually prefer the later Vince era to the '91-'92 Hornsby/Welnick period. At any rate, perhaps it goes without saying, we still haven't seen a '90s Dave Pick.

Dick (or I guess should say Dick's Picks) gave us:

3 '90s
5 '80s (counting 12/26/79)
3 '60s (4 if you count 2/13-2/14/70)

Dave (Dave's Picks) has given us:

0 '90s
6 '80s (counting 12/3/79)
4 '60s (counting 1/2 and 1/23/70)

It's obvious that the sweet spot for both series' is the '70s. If this is a gift to Dave (this was his first show), it's well-deserved. Heck, it's perhaps even more deserved as a gift to Charlie Miller (his favorite show).

How's this look? As a very rough (not fully thought out schematic): Each year we get one respective pick from the following eras: '69-'72, '73-'78, '79-'86, '87-'95. I'd take it! But it wouldn't be as fun, I don't think. In Dave We Trust! I subscribe because I want them all and want to support the enterprise, but a la carte is definitely an option now for many at 22K.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

First off, there's a sheet-ton of great shows left in the vault. Without a doubt. But the number of release-able shows for, say, '67, '68, '69 and '70 is limited, I'd guess. Plus, shows in those years tended to be too short for a Dave's release. Though (2) '68s or '69s would fill three discs. So Dave is killing two birds with one stone: upend the pattern of a strong finish to the year, release his own first show. Any criticism of the vault keeper for doing that is mainly -- according to these pages -- seems rooted in wanting our own first shows released instead.

There are a ton of shows from '71, '72, and '73 and a handful from '74 yet to go. And good-sounding 80s tapes -- at least judging from 30 Trips -- are not all that abundant. But Dave will be scouring for 80s and maybe 90s tapes to leaven and slow the release of the prime stuff from '71 to '74. Understandable, in a sense, if they want to stretch this vault release stream til Dave retires. Instead, I'd rather see a decade-long model where we just get the cream.

I'd guess that the 2021 Dave's Picks start out strong, based on an '84 and an '87 to end this year. But if the 3rd and 4th picks are downright lame, I'd probably bail on the subscription after only-god-knows how many years.

That said, the boxes certainly provide Dave another outlet. And I'd guess he'll want a blockbuster for 2021. I'm still thinking fall '72.

Frankly, if I were Dave, I'd love to read the squirming comments that greet a surprise pick, knowing that he can make us all stop chattering with a phenomenal #37 announcement or a killer box next year.

To sum up this year, the June '76 box really hit the spot; I like June much better than the rest of that year. We got (2) Feb '71 shows. The October '77 Dekalb show is a classic from tape trading days and entirely welcome. And June '74 with bonus disc is in the sweet spot. So overall I'd have to grade the year's output as an A and remain open-minded about the forthcoming '87 show.

Naturally, I'll be riveted to learn about #37 and #38 and the 2021 box. Meanwhile, this winter, I only have a couple hundred shows to enjoy while we hunker down once again in the vortex of unanticipated events.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

If I was buying alacarte this year , I only would have bought the 1974 release ( Dave's #34).

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Unless they really piss me off (and they might just do that one day), I will likely subscribe to the bitten end.

I enjoy it.. and looking back, I am happy with the shows I saw, even the ones that were not 'great,' the regret I have is the shows I could have seen but didn't.. What's $25 a release in the grand scheme of things.. I look at all the money I never spent smoking, that's my Dave's Picks loot.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kid

I was not aware that one of these was Dave’s first show. That makes some sense. I would probably have only bought one from this year, too, if I’d been buying a la carte. Only problem with a la carte is you end up paying about $50 per show, once you factor in tax and shipping. Makes the sub model more appealing.

I'm amazed (and proud of you guys) for not jumping all over me for what I wrote. I almost never post here, mainly because of a small contingent of folks who cannot stomach anything that smacks of criticism, or even discernment. And they want to argue if you're being "negative."

There's NO rule that being a Deadhead means never criticizing a performance, or even loving every era equally. That’s pure BS. Many, many Deadheads who actually saw them perform WITH JERRY back in the day were critical then, and have just as much right to be critical now. The “Drums” segment of 80s shows was literally a piss break for half the people in the place at every concert I attended. People derided the 70s-era version “Dancing in the Streets” as “Disco Dead,” and yes, said the same thing about “Shakedown” when it first came out. “U.S. Blues” was often considered a least-preferred encore, earning the nickname “Useless Blues.” Don’t even get me started on “Day Job” (a song which I happen to think is a fun throwaway, actually). And yes, people who jumped on the bus when “Touch of Grey” came out were looked down on as “Touch-Heads.” I was there.

Having said all that, I'll give these a listen, and am looking forward to having more HQ versions of "West LA" and "Alabama." But seeing those dates keeps my expectations very, very low. Good era for Bobby fanatics, not so much for Jerry diehards, IMHO.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Quote from a nice little blog aptly titled "the modern deadhead":

"The five-month break and their healthier approach made a big difference to the sound. "I can't tell you what it means to have been to the point where it looked like there wasn't going to be any more Grateful Dead, and then to come back like this and to have it be as good as it is now," Kreutzmann said in '88, "We're playing better, we're healthier - all of us, not just Jerry - and we have more energy; I know I do. I feel great! I feel young!""

http://moderndeadhead.blogspot.com/2009/12/grateful-dead-1987.html

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Love all the comments so far, and the diversity of opinion. Going back to when Dick’s Picks started, I only bought the shows that really pricked up my ears(68-72) mostly, and continued with Road Trips series. After boxzilla, I had a change of heart, and then had to go back(it’s that collector gene/defect) and fill in all the blanks. It wasn’t too embarrassingly expensive thank God. Luckily, the 2011 Bonus Disc(which I only have a burned copy of) taught me the lesson to always subscribe, so, I have a complete Dave’s series, along with RTs & Dick’s. I guess my first instinct was best, but because I have been buying music from 1965 to the present, that collectors gene/defect has taken over. So, since I MUST have it all, I will.
I tell myself it’s good to have all eras, but It’s the very rare post ‘77 show that I give a second or third listen to. The bonus disc for me is a MUST have, so the price is worth it(right??).
I won’t complain about ANY of the releases, and maybe one day, I’ll sell these complete sets. But probably not.
I can’t disagree with anyone’s decision as to which way they will go. But for me, the first bonus disc that’s from after ‘77, I will be done with the subscriptions. Looking forward to new music, especially AB 50.
Peace to all, stay safe & healthy.
Music is the best!!

P.S. There are only 4 songs from #36 that I am excited to hear(is that a complaint??).

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I like the name Kraken, my first choice was Sockeyes though. Drove by the official store (South Lake Union) last Saturday but didn't stop in. Can't wait to get like a 4 game ticket package.

#36 is a surprise. The occasional 80's release is all good, but 2 in a row, c'mon Dave. The fourth pick of the year has historically been a solid (but not long pole) show to get us pumped for the sub. I'll postpone judgement until I hear it in it's re-mastered glory, but seems like a weak follow up to a mediocre '84 show. Anyway, can't wait to get the sub info for 37 and 38.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

would be if this fourth pick was a Dead and Co show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

That’s how many years the Dead performed, not 5!
So I like any show, from any year, as long as it’s a great show and it sounds at least decent.
I have good equipment and after listening to shitty tapes for decades, I’m able to sit back, entrain and enjoy.
Meaning I’ve never received a release that was so bad I couldn’t stand it. I cherish each and every release, even from years that aren’t my favorite. Do I play them as much as others, of course not, but that does not diminish my gratitude that we’ve been blessed with so many shows, especially this century! I mean come on, if you think about it it’s amazing how many releases there are, and only so far! So of course with so many different folks from very diverse spaces not everyone is going to like everything, sorry but that’s called life.
But that’s just my personal take, I totally understand some folks fervent attachment to certain years/eras, hell I love 85 for fugs sake, certainly not a majority opinion, lol, so I get it.
But Mr Heartbreaks second post is very valid. To me, vested discourse has always been one of the most fun parts of being a DH. Man the civil arguments we used to have in the car on the long road between or after shows was epic, and hugely entertaining, especially if some one was out in left field versus the consensus. It always amazed me that 3 or 4 or 7 people that went to the same show could have such different takes on what we all just experienced. Of course experience was always a big part of how we obtained our opinions...
Perhaps the most well known example is the dude in the dead movie out in the lobby!

My only criticism is not dissenting opinions, or what you say, it’s how you say it!
Sometimes we, and I mean many of us, can knee jerk react and be a bit cantankerous. Often the individual cools down and realizes and even apologizes, that’s what makes this place so special....civil discourse, something severely lacking in the world today!
So just because someone doesn’t like something doesn’t mean the majority should slag them, as long as they do so respectfully and intelligently.
I also agree that this place can be a little too “the emperor has new clothes” like in its ability to eat anything. Shit the band used to joke about how overly excepting we were! So I can understand MR HBs opinion on that too.

Finally, again only a personal opinion, but it is so easy to sell these that if I was in the camp that’s only into specific stuff, I would still subscribe because:
1) you get the bonus disc!
2) since you paid for it you might as well rip it to the collection and then,
3) you can sell one or 2 and pretty much pay for the whole subscription!
That also has the added benefit of providing copies for Johnny come latelys or folks who missed out some how.
In other words,
4) if we don’t support this iT WILL GO AWAY! Like it or not this a business and if we dont buy, they won’t sell!
Harsh, sad but true, but the bottom line rules...

Eventually, once most, but not all, sit down, fire up and listen, I think most folks will find these interesting, enjoyable, well played shows, even if there are no 30 minute Dark Stars etc...
Would I of preferred 12/18/73, you bet ya, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to really dig these shows!
Just a thought....onward through the fog!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html