• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I saw many great shows at the Fillmore in SF which holds a little over 1,300 people. Three that come to mind:

Eric Clapton playing the blues for three nights, November 7, 8 & 9, 1994-I saw one show

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers 20 shows in January & February 1997- I saw two shows

Ray Davies - with the 88 - not sure of the date (I'm a huge Kinks fan)

The Frost was one of my favorite venues. Lovely outdoor setting surrounded by trees. Saw every Dead show there.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by nitecat

Been there once,
Ratdog 1997.
Was more excited about seeing the venue than the band.
Lots of cool pictures on the walls. And after the show there were crates of apples so you could grab one as you left.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Been listening to the bonus tunes on the expanded Anthem of the Sun (not the 50th A version) which were also included on the expanded TFTV: Aligator>Caution>Feedback. Awesome jammin'.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Two other fine small clubs in SF:

Great American Music Hall: 470 people
Slims: 500 people. Opened by Boz Scaggs. Closed recently. Saw many great shows, one I remember fondly was seeing Dave Davies with his own band.

The Boarding House was a great, small venue that closed in 1980 I believe; no more than 500 capacity. Saw the Byrds in early 78, a fantastic show, also caught Carl Perkins. They used to have live broadcasts from there on ksan; Jerry & Merle did one as did Bob Marley.
Great American Music Hall is the nicest small venue in San Francisco by far, can't imagine what it was seeing the Dead in that beautiful 1900s room. Caught some great shows there: David Grisman Quintet, Stephane Grapelli, Seldom Scene, Frank Wakefield, Henry Kaiser, etc
Also the three Keystones where Jerry played regularly; Keystone Berkeley capacity was around 450, same with Palo Alto. There was no backstage in Berkeley, Jerry and the band had to walk through the audience to get to the stage, great place!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Yes, the Keystones! Jerry played all three like a little circuit. Palo Alto was alittle bigger, but SF and Berkeley were really intimate. Saw Jer in all three in their heyday!

Also saw Phil's early early solo band, Too Loose to Truck with Terry Haggerty at the Berkeley Keystone, in 1976.

Cousins, I also saw the Seldom Scene at the GAMH, and also Jean Luc Ponty.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

40 years ago tonight I was at the Warfield Theatre, we really got twisted. Great show!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Thanks for that link VGuy!! What a treat on a soft and beautiful Sunday morning.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by bluecrow

on archive.

Pleasant show...kinda coffee shop-like, speaking of small venues.

Great song selection, mellow vibe.

Small venue,,,,Thelma Daves Picks number whatever

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I was shown yesterday a supposed true to reality simulation of smoking DMT. Weird thing was, in my middle age, the ever-changing screen gave me flashbacks to migraines I experienced during puberty.

Odd.

Then narration by Terrance McKenna.

Odd.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

This is a good show. I recorded it off Deadpod a few years ago. Keith plays organ on Playing in the Band. Its a direction they obviously decided not to go in, and it is quite short. Short but interesting, you might say.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Unfortunately it was Jorma, who I love but was way too high to play at Crested Butte, CO upstairs in the Gothic Building. Around 1985. Not Kochever's bar but a conference room I think. The story was Jorma was hours late for the start of the show because his hands were numb from riding a Harley from Denver that afternoon. Seemed very opiated and slurring the whole time with his characteristic murmuring after each line. Still managed a decent Mann's fate near the end. So happy he cleaned up and is still playing with Jack and Tuna.
P.S. In my top 10 BEST small venue shows: Saw "The Ice Pick" Albert Collins at a dive bar in Ft. Collins late 80's being ignored by the red necks playing pool while absolutely shredding it. An underappreciated blues legend!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I saw him play a few times, he was tremendous . The Master of the Telecaster. I jumped up on stage and shook his hand at the S.F. Blues Festival at the end of his set, he put on an incredible show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Two groups are vying for this dubious honour. First up we have the Kinks performance at Exeter University. During the first or second song Ray Davies broke a tooth with his microphone. End of performance. What a wimp. The second contenders are the Stranglers at the University of Surrey. Again they only played one or two numbers, after which they announced "We hate fucking students" and walked off. What a bunch of self-satisfied assholes. Was it coincidence that both these so-called performances took place at Universities with student audiences? Who knows? Whatever, both left the audience more angry than disappointed. Subsequently the University of Surrey banned the Stranglers and any children that they may have from ever playing there again.

I saw The Deviants final performance at The Borderline in London in 2013. Mick Farren, the singer, looked seriously ill before he went on stage, and when he did, he had some weird kind of oxygen mask on his face to help him breathe. He was perched on a stool, and clearly had obvious problems breathing. After about three songs, he fell off the stool, and lay on the stage flat on his back. It didn't look good. Eventually we were all ushered outside and an ambulance arrived to take him to hospital. He apparently died soon after. Everyone said afterwards that it was the way he would have wanted to go. He was 69.

....saw UB40 a couple of years ago. 1 hour 15 minutes later, the house lights came on. What they played was great, but I felt I little ripped off.
Tragic shows? Mark Sandman of Morphine died on stage. I wasn't there, and couldn't imagine being fan if any band and witnessing something like that.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Saw him many times at the Belly Up. He had a 100 foot guitar cord and would walk around the club and play solos in your face. One time he took us all out on the street and played a solo into a phone in a phone booth and then pointed his guitar like a machine gun at passing cars. Fun stuff.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by mhammond12

Holly Bowling - Alone Together Vol 1
Blue Oyster Cult - The Symbol Remains. Twice. Back 2 Back
Van Halen - Women and Children First
GOGD - Beacon Theatre 6.14.76
Stay safe my friends, and VOTE. VOTE like your lives depend on it. Because it really does.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Just ran across a poster earlier today of an August '69 run of three shows at The Family Dog that had Albert playing on the bill with the Grateful Dead...wow...I saw him for the first time about five weeks earlier at the Newport Festival at Devonshire Downs...amazing...Mr Collins indeed...at the Newport gig he had 70,000 people in the palm of his hands, especially when he did "Conversation with Collins" and made his guitar talk...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

The German band Faust played a very short show in the mid 1970s. When they started they were all sat round the stage, some watching television, one guy was playing a fruit machine, and the only music being played was a very slow drum solo. There was large concrete block at the front of the stage. After a while, someone came on wearing a mask, and attacked the concrete block with a chainsaw. Wood was splintering off the front of the stage and going into the front row of the audience. Then the electricity was turned off, and some middle aged suited custodian of the theatre appeared and announced that the concert was over, as it wasn't music, and the stage was being vandalised. A member of Faust took the microphone and hurled a lot of abuse at all and sundry-"f..k this! Are you just going to sit there and be told what to listen to?! "
On entering the hall, the audience had all been given little teddy bears by members of the previous groups family, Gong, and people started throwing these teddy bears on the stage. It was a strange night. I can remember a fight broke out in the audience, and I wasn't sure if it was part of the performance or not
They are still going, Faust, too. Another band I was going to see - last Friday in London. You literally never know what is going to happen when you see Faust.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I never saw them but apparently the new wave act Orange Juice played just 30 minutes. In an interview with a very unsympathetic person at the New Musical Express who was obviously trying to make a point about the length of Grateful Dead shows versus the very different punk bands, Jerry, who had been told about the 30 minute shows said that he’d feel kind of cheated!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by frankparry

Frank - That would have been the infamous interview between NME writer Paul Morley and Jerry in 1981. I was looking for this in the Uncut special on the Dead you mentioned recently, but it obviously wasn't deemed fit for reproduction. A poser of the highest order, Paul Morley.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I must have deleted the original e-mail notice in error, but is it this week that DaP 36 gets released (or “dropped” as the youngens say)?
Any word on renewal of the Dave’s Picks Subscription for 2021?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

The release date was originally scheduled for the end of this month. We will find out more on Thursday.

In the past subscriptions have started the first week of November.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Yes. I remember him doing the 100 ft. cord trick when I saw him in Ft. Collins! He walked right through the doors to the lobby and people propped them open for him. The pool players did their best to ignore him but how could ya! He did a mean duck walk too. What a showman.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Man Vguy, my boys got worked by the Raiders yesterday! I know you’re mainly a hockey guy, but are you waving that Raiders flag yet? They looked good....you should have went double or nothing on your Super Bowl bet!!!

Picked up the three Talking Heads vinyl pressings that were recently released by Rhino over the weekend. Very nice sounding pressings on various colored vinyl!

Find a city, find yourself a city to live in!

Prayers to all who’s cities are burning

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

One of my old bands: 1 person only in the audience(she performed before us), they asked us to stop after one song, they didn't think it was fair to the staff to work with no customers.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

LedDed there's another guy who thought the metal Bosch pairing was apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-tO38zp03w&t=899s

That's the cover for The Painted Bird, written by Zorn and performed by Simulacrum.

Back in 2014, Zorn put together a trio of himself on sax, Bill Laswell on bass and Dave Lombardo, the drummer for Slayer, on drums. I saw them at Reggies with about 75-100 people in the room.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Thank you. End of month it is. Maybe it is just that everything seems half-speed this shit-show year. How good is New Year's Eve going to be?!

Listening to Chip Taylor & Carrie Rodriguez "Live From The Ruhr" - a nice blend of vocals, and backing by a pretty good house band including Bill Frisell, Greg Leisz, and Buddy Miller. No Bosch imagery here...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....and any children they may have are banned from ever playing there again.
That’s both awesome and hilarious!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I see the Stranglers record company is releasing their "Best Of" again very shortly - called Peaches. Should I have them reserve you a copy to use for skeet shooting?!

....hell no!! Don't like the Raiders. I'll only go the Allegent Stadium when my Dolphins visit.
fyi caseyjanes, i did not forget about our Super Bowl bet last year.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

The question was posed as to what constitutes a "small venue"; I would say fewer than 400 seats?

I remember my friend telling me a year ago about some performer who had just played only 50 minutes total at the Target Center, which is the large basketball arena in Minneapolis. I just Googled it and found out that it was someone named Cardi B.(?). Can you even imagine paying $100+, then $20 for parking and $12 for a beer, and the show's over before your beer is? Basically $2+/minute for the show?

Makes me think of the 45-minute Playin' from 1/22/78; DaP23. Best DaP EVER?!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Not the safest of times to be runnin around to the post office.

Good luck trying to see a Dolphins game. Not sure what kind of prices they’re paying in Vegas, but for 4 tickets to a Chiefs game 30th row 50 yard line it’s about $2,500 after fees, and of course that doesn’t include the $80 for parking and the $20 beers.....and those are directly from the team...non scalped. My days of going to games are over unless someone gives me a ticket!

Small Venues....mentioned this before, but saw Umphrees McGee in October of 97 in South bend in the living room of the house where the the keyboardist Joel Cummins lived, and maybe a couple other band members?. My buddy attended Notre Dame and lived there with them. Good Times!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Saw Albert Collins, Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland during the "Showdown" tour 1986 at Sutter's Mill in Syracuse, NY. Less than a 100 people in the bar. I remember it was during the week (school night) and the floors were very sticky. Oh the good 'ol college days...

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

A killer of a show, hopefuly it will be an official release some day.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Much to my own surprise, I’m enjoying Dave’s Picks, v.35. I generally gravitate to earlier Dead but spending time with this show. Big thanks to dead.net support for getting a copy to me in this time of Covid mail disaster(s)! Please vote people. Any thoughts on v. 36? We should hear something soon. Looking forward to some new Dead love and light. Peace and love y’all. Be safe.

They did announce #36 via email. It's a twofer, 3/26/87 and 3/27/87.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gratefuldead/comments/j3fj0x/new_announcement_…

It seems weird to redirect you to redit to get the scoop. Did dead.net forget they run a website to sell their CDs?

Nice Hampton pic btw.. What a fun place to see some shows.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Somebody on Fox just used Althea as the outro music to the commercial break midway through the eighth inning of the Braves-Dodgers game . . .

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html