• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gary Farseer

If I had missed the page for the sale of #38. Now I know this is maybe a new rule for sales. Ship subscribers and dont open for sale until the day of release. Not sure if that is true or is it the or some special artwork??? Cant wait to see. I hope it is the poster for these shows, which I have. Will write more later, not wanting to spoil the trip...

Edit: well just checked my farseer email and see the artwork. Not the poster. Email sent 10 minutes ago...

Edit 2: OOOps wrong show poster is for March shows, see old brainism

• Gary Farseer
    JoshbytheBay-Without a Net-Mind Blown Pt 1

I watched a documentary a few days back. I am sure you all have seen on the History Channel the various docs. I cant remember what the title was, and like I have written, memory aint what it used to be. It was on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. I had posted a few years back that on the day off during the NYE1987 run, my friends and I walked to the mid-point of the Golden Gate Bridge and back, somewhere around 10 pm. It was super cold and a strong western wind. In the documentary, it talked about them at one point putting up a net to protect the bridge builders. I also remember a couple of years back that they had a drive to collect money to put another permanent net type device to prevent jumpers. Any way, long story short, I never put it together that the live album, Without a Net, was not just shot in the dark title (about the circus coming to town and the razor's edge of improvisation without a net) but also some San Fran history to boot. Those guys were on top of so much Americana that it is mind blowing.

• snafu
    Default Avatar

I wouldn't worry about a shipping notice. For #36 I never received one but it came the usual 4 days after date like all the others. Come to think of it a notice has been an iffy thing. More than a couple of times I didn't get one yet it came nonetheless.

• Vguy72

....I want that glass.

• icecrmcnkd

Get out of bed, brew some GD tea, and upload that chat.

• 1stshow70878

No worries Jimbobwe and Proudfoot. Keep the faith. I was thinking the same then got my shipping notice here in Colorado this week showing Monday 5-3 for delivery. You never know. My July '78 box is #36/15,000.
    Cheers!

• proudfoot
    I haven't received a shipping notice yet, either

What, me worry?

With all the versions of "The Shipping Blues" in the past, one might.

Give it until at least next Friday before any panicking.

No, I am still not a robot.

• Jimbobwe

MDA - I also live in Colorado and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation email...we must be the last batch of subscriptions to ship. Hopefully we hear something soon.

• MDA
    Default Avatar

I have been seeing that a bunch of people have had their 38s for a few days now. I’m sitting here in Colorado still waiting on a shipping notice. Should I be worried??

• Sixtus_

...I've noticed this same thing on the sound Thin. You've described it pretty well. And, I don't hear a whole ton of Phil either, which usually helps to solidify and round out the overall sound with some deeper depth. Not so much here. I assume it's because of the limitations of a two-track to some extent.

I will say though, the 'Let Me Sing Your Blues Away' caught me surely off guard, where I had to stop and do a double take before a huge grin took over my stolen face. It's a pretty jaunty tune, a shame it was shelved so soon.

Hope Others' are receiving theirs and enjoying the ride - off to get #2 JAB shortly, here's to hoping for no adverse events!

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…………

March 19, 1971
The Syndrome, Chicago, Illinois CANCELLED SHOW

Built in 1899, also known as the third Chicago Coliseum, The Syndrome operated as a general admission venue for rock and roll shows in 1970-1971. Estimated capacity: 7000+. A riot erupted there on March 8, 1971 involving fans trying to see the simulcast of the Ali-Frazier fight. All subsequent concerts were cancelled, except for the James Taylor/Carol King show of March 12, 1971. The day following that concert, the venue was closed by city authorities and was eventually demolished in 1982.

See: http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2009/11/march-19-1971-syndrome-chicago…

Rock on!!!

Doc
The moving finger writes, and having written moves on. Nor all thy piety nor all thy wit, can cancel half a line of it……….

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Call it a piss-break song, but on a good night that Jerry solo break was a show-highlight for me.

(Dang, now that I logged in and commented, I'll have to endure another "Hey that DaP37 item is going fast!" email.)

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Red Rocks '78. (I forget which one of the 4 shows that year) Out of a virtually clear blue, purple, orange sky, right at sunset the band MADE IT RAIN! You never saw so many slack-jawed hippies say, "Wow, how did they do THAT?". And when LL Rain ended so did our passing rainstorm. A nice soothing little shower powered by psychic energy. I think it was the crowd's one mind consciousness, not the band. Or it could have been our usual if you don't like Colorado weather, wait five minutes thing. Nah, had to be us! On a good night any GD song can be a good one. Cheers!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Had the same thing twice.

7-4-86 - Buffalo,,,, hot day,,, opened with Jack Straw. Between sets, clouds started rolling and it got dark. All of my group start pulling out hoodies and such. I'm just wearing a tee. It's only been maybe a 15 minute break (I could check my records), the band rushes back on stage and starts milking Cold Rain & Snow, just as the drops started hitting, "I married me a wife....." Remember well. I was freezing and tripping my balls off, but musically it was WOW.

Next time, the Santa Clara 50th reunion show. Once again tripping balls,,,, first time in years, stuff came from fellow head at hotel,,,, very good. Ended first set with Viola. Whole time I'm eyes closed, following the music, bang end of viola, set ends, open my eyes and there's a rainbow across the stadium! Blew me away!!! Okay, I was mostly blown by that point.

user picture

Member for

10 years

How do WE do that, the band asked itself.

Early '80s at Red Rocks, we're up maybe 20 rows with a full view of Denver as a storm descends on downtown, not us.

Big flash of lightning in the distance while the band jammed away, oblivious. Crowd collectively, audibly, goes oooooh!

I see Bobby shoot Jerry a look: damn, we're good, aint' we, and the crowd knows it....

user picture

Member for

10 years

Early '80s at Red Rocks, we're up maybe 20 rows with a full view of Denver as a storm descends on downtown, not us.

Big flash of lightning in the distance while the band jammed away, oblivious. Crowd collectively, audibly, goes oooooh!

I see Bobby shoot Jerry a look: damn, we're good, aint' we, and the crowd knows it....

user picture

Member for

10 years

EDIT: Ding, ding, ding: my first triple post! Dang, ain't I good.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

October 12, 1984, Augusta Maine

Way down east. Excellent psychedelics. Maybe 20-30 feet back, dead center. No sardine effect, room to breathe and move around.

OMG how did the Dead do that? We didn't think the Dead were capable of playing like that any more. Second life-changing Dead show (first was Providence in 1974).

We spent the next 10+ years chasing Augusta. We never caught up to it again.........

Doc
Day off Friday

a question I have always wanted to ask any band member...how did they keep their composure during the REALLY intense shows?

There have been and are and will be times when things are so intense that I crawl out of my skin. They are making things happen...how do they keep it together?

DMCVT: sounds idyllic!...cool band, nice vibe..

PF: 😁 unfortunately I have to use the skip button more and more as years go by on certain songs,...but, then sometimes, still get shown that light...

NAPPY 😁

VGUY: NICE! Congrats on the twofer! Any side affects?

HF: congratulations! Lol

DOC/Augusta: wasn’t at Augusta, but those were exactly the kind of places we were looking for to freak freely as years blew by and the scene got crazy. Partially why we stopped going as much. Instead of those places they were doing huge blocks at the same big venues in the same big nasty cities etc...

DENNIS: I think the breaks/timing, and even the set list of 7/4/86 was influenced by the Farm Aid live time slot they had to work with. But yeah it was nice, they played CR&S as it started raining, but the big synchronicity/psychedelic moment I recall was during Fire just as JG was peaking out, aaaaa, and so were we lol, all of a sudden the clouds parted just enough for this little shaft of sunshine to shine on him as if it was a follow spot. Can’t tell so much on the video, but I recall that one fondly, like WHOOOAAAA, “how do they do that” lol.
Saw many of those over the years, enough to not be just coincidence, though one of my favorites, or the one I remember most lol, was the big storm at 3/30/95. I still think they some what staged it. Yeah there was obviously a big storm, but I recall them kinda waiting around on stage and Robbie Taylor was on the radio, and they were sorta looking out at the top/back of the stadium, so I’m thinking with the weather station they had at outdoor shows, they saw the front coming rapidly, so sent someone out front with a radio and told Robbie when that sucker was just about to hit the stadium and then as if on cue by the gods themselves “Raaaaiiiinn, I feel fine”...pretty fuggin cool!
Didn’t have the pleasure of seeing the GD at Red Rocks but saw several Dead, Furthur etc shows there, and yeah, that place always has cool weather moments. HF, what was the one, I’m guessing the Dead around 03, 04, where it got all misty (like you could barely see and the lights were awesome etc) and pretty cold and the band rose above the diversity as only they could do! Perhaps some trippy Beatles and/or a that Miles tune they were doing? Maybe it was Phil and friends? Definetly a top weather show for this kid Whatever, cool place that awesome stuff happened at frequently. .

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Had to use that title. Probably my favorite jazz players.
Oro: Don't think it was '03 The Dead on The Rocks. That was my last Dead related show. 25th anniversary of my first show and Phil brought up that subject saying,"How many of you were here 25 years ago?", and a huge number said YEAH!! Then he follows with one of his cornier comments, "Whoah, your grandparents must have all our albums!". Wait, we were almost grandparents by then ourselves. It was nice and warm that night, but I guess it could have been cold the next night if there were two shows. It is Colorado. We all carry an extra layer every day of the year. That was the Jimmy Herring version of The Dead. I'm an ABB fan too and LOVED it. Every song had those jazzy intros where you have lots of time to guess what song it is, then they change key and you've guessed wrong. Seems like D. & Co. still do a lot of that. Loved how Jimmy added the ABB sound to so many Dead classics. Shades of when Warren Haynes first played with ABB (also a Red Rocks show for me, maybe '90?) and I got chills hearing Duane speak through Warren's guitar. Oh yeah, we got a Mason's Children that night too! Bonus! Cheers all!

user picture

Member for

10 years

The shows/experience and the tapes are two different worlds. And there are worlds within the tapes.

I caught 'only' about 75 shows, 1972-1992, and stopped going after '87 (3 nights at Rocks, 2 days in Telluride in one week), as I'd been intensely onboard for 15 years, from age 15 to age 30. I caught some big shows:
Sept '72 (1)
Summer '73 (6)
'76-79 (a shit ton)
every single Rocks show they played

At least (3) Red Rocks shows actually sucked, based on the high standards set by the band elsewhere (Jersey City '72, RFK '73, Watkins soundcheck, fall '73 Nassau Coliseum (upcoming DP), Capitol Theater '76 & '77, Boston Music Hall '77, Englishtown '77, Rocks '78 & '79, '80s).

That said, the "average" GD show tended to be a real good time. The best shows changed my life. The worst shows = the price of admission to higher planes sometimes costs more than you originally were willing to pay...

Then there are the tapes. Some shows that might have seemed a little tame in person become these perfectly executed sets on tape. Or the wildly exuberant performances become the slightly off-the-hook tapes. Or some tapes can be explored repeatedly and reveal new things -- impossible in the moment you're experiencing them in concert.

Quite the enigma wrapped in a tortilla within a fortune cookie and still amazing after all these years. Now a solid 50 years for me. Sort of a "What in hell just happened" spread over a 20 year period for me. Then another 30 years with the tapes. (Although we had obtained tapes when the band was still in pre-hiatus phase.)

Okay, ready for the Box News!

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

44 years ago today, I was sitting up in the balcony at Winterland watching the Dead put on a great show. Big fun! Could these 3 shows be the upcoming box set? We shall see.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

“enigma wrapped up in a tortilla within a fortune cookie” lol

Back to the Dead Rocks...I think they (“The Dead vs GD) did five shows in 03 AND 04 that I think I was able to catch all but one? I’d have to look it up...
But also several Furthur and Phil Shows. But I’m pretty sure it was the Dead and partly cause I think Jimmy was there Yasss, agree 1st show, Jimmy added a little more of that ABB flavor than perhaps Warren? Saw several awesome Phil shows at the Denver Philmore and one in particular where Tedeski and Trucks were playing down the street so stopped by to sit in. Well I believe it was opening the second set and wholly sheeoot it was amazing, guitarmagedon!
Jimmy, Warren, Dereck etc, whoa! I believe there was a Keep on Growing in there somewhere and man, if they weren’t channeling the spirit of Duane & Co....and also, big hugely preggers ST just belts out a Lovelight that woulda made Pig smile!
Yeah it’s not been the same without Big Boy, but then again, there’s been tons of “other” goodness we have been fortunate to been given.
Anyway, back to THAT night...man the weather changed as it will do here, (but no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear) and it might of been the coldest show I was ever at? But the cool thing was this misty fog, like another local phenom, where at the altitude the venue was at was suddenly IN the clouds! Believe it was getting dark so the lights looked surreal, and I remember swirling mists, literally in the venue were these localized swirls of mist (no I was not tripping....unfortunately; ) it was like being in a Led Zeppelin song. I think they played some cool psychedelic Beatles tune and that MD tune they were doing? Milestones perhaps? Details fuzzy, just will always remember the scene/vibe etc, THAT night! If you were there, you’d remember ; )

EDIT: oh yeah, 1stshow: saw the JGB “birthday band” shows at Ford Amphitheater and shit, forget the drummers name, he’s related to someone in the ABB family and with he and Oteil as the rhythm section, and Tom Hamilton on guitar, and of course Melvin on Organ etc, (the Jer-Ettes too!) it was cool how that added a nice subtle flavoring of that ABB vibe to the JGB material. Used to be on nugs.tv, great shows, think maybe the first night rocks more? But worth a check out!

Great News!
We’re hopefully looking at sooner than later...
fingers still tightly crossed...

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It's a joyous day, as I sit here typing and my six-and-a-half year old is singing along with me to Friend of the Devil.
The Devil's In The Details.

Psyched to see folks reporting out on their vaccinations; the only way it will work is if we all take the step! I'm on the MA pre-registration list, who knows when I'll get a chance at Dose One but I'll be quite thankful when it rolls around.

I also really really enjoy all of the retellings of days of yore, you people have some outstanding memory!!

Happy Friday Dead Freaks.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

sore arm yes for round one

round two I got T I R E D

but a day later I was a-o-k

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Oro: man I'd love to see the Tde/Trucks band. You have been musically blessed! That scene in, I think, the 2010 Clapton Crossroads festival where they play Keep on Growing and Clapton and Bill Murray are seen backstage just blown away and Eric is singing along and groovin'; priceless. And Mike Mattison (damn he's good) is belting it out with Susan, what a cover song! Blasphemous to call it better than the original but it had the spirit of Duane too.
But I digress. How did I not even think of Joan when writing of that memory. She added a whole lot to that version of the Dead. Very soulful. Got to go dig out those discs. My Crested Butte friend burned it for me. That was the first show I'd seen where you could sign up and pre-order a CD copy right there at the event. I thought that was so cool. Probably commonplace now. Cheers!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Doc,

Please repost your comments and sign my name to the bottom. You are spot on.

Idyllic is an understatement in every possible way. Walking out of the show that second night I was utterly dumbfounded. I caught every dead show the band played in Maine after that. My favorite place to see them. Beautiful country and the nicest, most accommodating people you’ll find.

Second shot today. Very sore arm, but no other side effects. Yet.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

"3/18/71 is cool"

and

I say

I have never been to Maine. Sometime, hopefully

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Frost Amphitheater (Stanford)...I forget the date.

It was an overcast summer day, slightly on the chilly side. Until ol' Jer sings, "The time has come to weigh those things, this space is getting hot. You know this space is getting hot"

As if on command, the clouds parted, and it was suddenly really warm. The crowd went nuts, Jerry smiled broadly. If you figure out the date, you can hear the reaction on an audience tape on Archive. Priceless!

And that Levi's Stadium rainbow? That wasn't just any ol' rainbow. It was perfect, huge and bright, probably the most complete arc I've ever witnessed anywhere. Truly magical, so much so that there were quite a few folks who thought it must have been some sort of projection the Dead's technical crew dreamed up. Of course, pranksters that they were, they played along with that conspiracy for days afterward!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

in YOUR direction! Happy Friday!
SIXTUS:...priceless! That picture brings a smile to old lonely folks everywhere : )

COVID: so glad to hear folks are starting to get there, after so long of “gonna make it, I don’t know?”

ISTSHOW: yeah Joan was great, she seemed to fit in pretty good, something MANY folks don’t always do well with the aaa? GD blend...yowsa! Sounds like I need to look for that 2010 crossroads? To clarify, I’ve unfortunately never seen Tedeski Trucks band, they were playing down the street, we were at Denver Philmore, probably 00, 01? The Phil “Quintet” so them in their prime with Susan and Dereck sitting in! By then I usually hung out in the back balcony to lounge and burn easier, but I was down by the board fir this set at least and man, I’m going to have to find it now cause it was that good! I’m thinking like a long 3 song medley with Keep On Growing and Lovelight in there somewhere...but I reserve the right to be old and senile ; ) I think I have those discs if you need?

MAINE: yeah cool place for sure, been there a few times, but unfortunately only in 88 for the Dead, but what a gas, good shows too. I’ve google earthed some of those venues, sweet!

THE RAINBOW: even on TV it looked pretty sweet and either way it was pretty fuggin cool! Of course it’s nice to know it wasn’t faux so we cab say “by the way, it was real, and it was spectacular”!

Party on Wayne!

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Fantastic show

I envy you having been there, btk

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Have always loved this show.. it's one of those warts and all shows that just kicks. One of my more visited shows from 30 trips. If I ever need an energy boost or want to feel like I've just done a bunch of cocaine but without the nasty side effects.. this is the one. Just to highlight one part, Jerry's playing in PITB is pure bluegrass, jazz, electrified bliss. If you listen hard during the most furious part of the jam.. all the notes are clean with great emphasis and a pure tone. He doesn't miss a single note, everything is in perfect time.. nothing out of place or out of tune and with such ferocity.

Of all the shit people sling about the sound quality of certain shows in the big box.. this one, again warts and all, sounds considerably better than the copies that used to circulate. The patches seem to work quite well too.

I think the original board had some problems.. and in this case Jeffrey made some big improvements on a flawed board tape. Perhaps it's how imperfect this one is and yet so hot that is the allure. For most of the show they were screaming round the bend coming off the tracks but somehow they never derailed and slammed into the station relatively unscathed and right on time.

Yes, count me in.. sign me up. Missed that one, but had a chance and a ticket, all I had to do was say yes and get there. Coulda shoulda....

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

the one meteorological-miracle-at-a-show that comes to mind was at the first post-Jerry show I saw - The Other Ones at Further Fest, Fiddler's Green (just outside of Denver), 7/19/98 (afternoon - evening.) Really strange venue. Super fun time.

It was during Mickey's song from Mystery Box, Down the Road.

"I heard a laugh I recognized come rolling from the earth
I saw it rise into the skies like lightning giving birth
It sounded like Garcia but I couldn't see the face
Just the beard and the glasses and a smile on empty space"

and there was this cloud out to the west behind the stage and suddenly this cloud manifests itself as the huge smiling face of Jerry and I'm like "holy cr*p, it's Jerry!" and simultaneously the whole crowd starts cheering and as far as I can tell everybody sees Jerry in the sky! just crazy.

Oro, anybody, does this "ring a bell"?

Opened the show with Playing and when they reprised it out of "space" and it was like the days of old. Banyan Tree was so freaking cool. Ripple encore. my heart felt so much better after that show.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Pfizer
1st - arm really sore for 24-36 hrs or so and then over
2nd - no soreness or anything

girlfriend got first Moderna last weekend, maybe a little tired but that's all.

One of two, Maderna. It was erie, like time stood still and a memory was created. To me, reminiscent of the Challenger disaster or worthy of a loud playing of the 2001 a Space Oddity [sic] theme song.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…………

March 20, 1971
Field House, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa

Set 1: Truckin’-Loser-Hard To Handle-Playing In The Band-Bertha-Deal-Me And My Uncle-Next Time You See Me-Me And Bobby McGee-Cumberland Blues-Big Boss Man-Good Lovin'

Set 2: Casey Jones-Sugar Magnolia-Around And Around-Uncle John's Band-Turn On Your Love Light

Lightning strikes in America’s heartland………….

There are two odd occurrences in the first set----two back to back Garcia songs, and later, two back to back Pigpen songs, including the unusual—but not unheard of---Good Lovin’ to close the first set. Good Lovin’ closed the first set only 4 times in 1971.

Like the preceding show, this is a hard rocking affair. Pigpen dominates, especially in the first set. This is no frills, no bells and whistles, straightforward rock and roll Grateful Dead, and as such, I recommend it!

Rock on!!!

Doc
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Yes, I used covid as an excuse not to get a haircut. Besides saving a little dough, now I really look like the proverbial hippie! :-) I am so happy to be able to be myself, but now my Mom is bugging me. haha

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

I am very happy for all the people on here who have been able to get vacinated, I can't wait to get mine. I guess it makes a difference as to what state you live in as to how fast you get it, because I see people on here a lot younger then me from different states that have already gotten theirs. My final box set prediction is March 18,19 & 20, 1977 from Winterland and maybe they will throw in a couple of shows from December 1977 from Winterland to fill it out.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

...greetings my brother and sisters out here in dead land , wishing everyone a grateful weekend to all the members here!
This past week I payed a visit to my hometown Record Store. It was a grateful day to visit because someone recently Sold A large part of Their personal Grateful Dead record collection to the owners of the store, very good friends of mine as well, for a pretty grateful price I may say! The owner of the records is a customer of the store so he was no stranger walking in the store with two milk crates full of Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia LPs all and I mean all items were & are in Mint/ Brand new/sealed condition! I almost passed out when I saw and learned where all these grateful releases came from & whom. I know of the other record collector and even pass small talk when we see each other in store visits. There are even double copies of the same release, some times one sealed and the other opened. I’m going back today Or tomorrow to make a list & take pictures to post here.
I made a purchase when I first went there.
I bought the Complete set/series’From The Vault’ on Vinyl. Numbers #’s 1,2 & 3 brand new/sealed & Mint condition for $250, total, for the Full Set!
My question is ... did I pay to much?! I thought it was a grateful deal at the time. I love record stores! It’s in your hands as you walk out the doors! Any way, I was just curious what all you members thought. Was it aGrateful deal or did I pay to much? ! Any feedback would be very grateful & helpful! Thank you guys!
Have a grateful day & Rock On! 🙏❤️💀🌹
🙏❤️💀🌹

A quick look at eBay shows

1 $70 +$6 shipping
2 $90 +$6 shipping
3 $90 +$6 shipping

=$250 +$18 shipping

I have 8-13-75 vinyl and it sounds really nice.

LMG - looks okay to me. I also have the first one on vinyl and think its great.
Incidentally, Two and Three are supposed to be being re-released on vinyl this year. They keep pushing the release dates back though. I ordered the second one in October, and I notice its release date is now April. I'm in no hurry.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Thank you all for your feedback, makes me feel better! Thank you all again, I’m very grateful
🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Lewiston was my last Dead show, moved to Vermont right after that. Know that town well, left DC to go to school there, 1970. Not knowing a soul, drove my new jock roommates nuts by playing Live Dead album at least every other night, along with Anthem and Aoxomoxoa. Only took a few weeks to locate other like minded music folks on campus, then I went deep, worked for the radio station.
Lewiston show was at the old racetrack on the north side of town, right next to Lou's Place, along with The Cage and The Blue Goose, the closest bars to campus. Friends were running tickets and security, we got down close.

Have not posted for a while before recently so please forgive if this repeats. Rob Eaton played an essential role in bringing many lost Betty Boards back to life, most know the story but if not, dig up Nick Paumgartens piece from The New Yorker November 2012 for a thorough back story. Rob is part of the DSO, had a bad fall recently and is on the mend, broke some bones in his left arm/wrist, not so great for a right handed guitar player. His insurance did not cover the costs so a Go Fund Me page was set up and I believe the goal was just reached, but you might check in as you like. He plans to return to the stage with them as early as end of next month iirc. I volunteer with a local venue, worked back stage security for a DSO show a few ago, had a chance to thank him for making that extra dimension possible for DaP. It still astonishes me how much music we have from back in the day. More please, with Pig.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

...after I read your feedback I took a ride back & just in the Nic of time , he had one more complete set left for sale and I grabbed all last 3 copies the record store had left plus’s some other Grateful Dead , Jerry Garcia & Some other albums I’ve been on the look out for.
Oh yeah, I don’t know how I missed it when I first went to the store but on my 2 visit of the day I found 2 complete, brand new mint Amazon’s limited 6LP Soundtrack for what a long strange trip it’s been soundtrack Vinyl six LPs/ records. Only 2500 released in America andCanada release Only 400 or 500 copies released. Only 3000 record s Pressed !Both Still Sealed/ Brand New Mint $149 each & in other news i Also I was told this June they are releasing/ adding a new pressing of number 2 from the vault! I even have my original first copy from the 2014 vinyl release of’ Two From The Vault’ still sounds primo!
PS I have had the Amazon 6LP soundtrack on Vinyl for awhile now and I believe they did an excellent job with song selections and performance Locations all around which add only to the gratefulness of this Limited Edtion Grateful Dead soundtrack!
Anyone else a fan of this release?!
Do you believe it worked well with the documentry film & was your opinion of the “Audio Quality!? From a scale of 1 to 5 Dark Dtars bing Primo!
Honestly, I will have to give this vinyl collection a five dark star salute! Coming from a 45 year long relationship with the dead I’m pretty impressed with the track list as well which is very important in a Grateful Dead concert, because “there is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert! “
Amen to that folks. 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....but if Lewiston '80 becomes a pick, I would be ecstatic. So there's that.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

1. Road trips 5/15/70 2. Jimi hendrix band of gypsy's 3. CSNY 1970 live 4. Cow palace 12/31/76 5. The scorpions-big city nights.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I think the pitb on S.D. should be a primer for people new to the psychedelic grateful dead experience. I am convinced this pitb is the most trip inducing version. I know it's a bold claim but it's my favorite. I wonder what others think.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

That IS a great one, Carlo, but I prefer Hofheinz 11/18/72. Just something about that one. Now, the Dark Star at 8/27/72 is about my favorite. In a way, both jams are kind of similarly hard charging and deep, but never too dissonant or never much let up, just full throttle jams. Sunshine Daydream wouldn't be a bad vinyl release one day...

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Full throttle.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…………..

March 21, 1971
Expo Convention Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

The available known setlist: Me and My Uncle-Hard To Handle-Loser-Beat It On Down The Line-Me And Bobby McGee-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away-And We Bid You Goodnight

There is some debate over whether this is the complete show and if not, why not? There have been claims/statements that the Dead played a short set because they had to catch a plane. There are claims that either Truckin’ or Cold Rain and Snow opened the show, and that an Other One suite may have been played. Most evidence, including statements from attendees of the show, suggests that the Dead played a relatively normal length show.

Apparently, the only currently circulating musical documentation of this show is a short segment of mixed, first and second set material that apparently somehow made its way onto a bootleg LP and then into general circulation. It is a mediocre to fair audience recording that has that indistinct, “cavernous” sound often encountered on audience recordings from this era. It appears that much of the “space” or “gaps” between songs was either not recorded or later edited out, and the beginning notes of several songs are clipped.

Is it in the vault????

A riddle within a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Say, is that possible????

Rock on!!!

Doc
An elusive, enigmatic aura will make people want to know more, drawing them into your circle. Create such a power by hinting at something contradictory within you…..

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Its my favourite year for this song - the jams just explode. The last one I played was 4/11/72, at Newcastle - not that long but amazing how far out they go in so short a space of time.

Alvarhanso - I was outbid for a copy of a vinyl edition of Sunshine Daydream on ebay last month. I think its over 10 years old - but it looks like it was released on vinyl.

Last 5? -
3/19/90 - The Dead
Southern Roots - Jerry Lee Lewis
Now What?! - Deep Purple
Atem - Tangerine Dream
A Wizard A True Star - Todd Rundgren

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html