• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gary Farseer

If I had missed the page for the sale of #38. Now I know this is maybe a new rule for sales. Ship subscribers and dont open for sale until the day of release. Not sure if that is true or is it the or some special artwork??? Cant wait to see. I hope it is the poster for these shows, which I have. Will write more later, not wanting to spoil the trip...

Edit: well just checked my farseer email and see the artwork. Not the poster. Email sent 10 minutes ago...

Edit 2: OOOps wrong show poster is for March shows, see old brainism

• Gary Farseer
    JoshbytheBay-Without a Net-Mind Blown Pt 1

I watched a documentary a few days back. I am sure you all have seen on the History Channel the various docs. I cant remember what the title was, and like I have written, memory aint what it used to be. It was on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. I had posted a few years back that on the day off during the NYE1987 run, my friends and I walked to the mid-point of the Golden Gate Bridge and back, somewhere around 10 pm. It was super cold and a strong western wind. In the documentary, it talked about them at one point putting up a net to protect the bridge builders. I also remember a couple of years back that they had a drive to collect money to put another permanent net type device to prevent jumpers. Any way, long story short, I never put it together that the live album, Without a Net, was not just shot in the dark title (about the circus coming to town and the razor's edge of improvisation without a net) but also some San Fran history to boot. Those guys were on top of so much Americana that it is mind blowing.

• snafu
    Default Avatar

I wouldn't worry about a shipping notice. For #36 I never received one but it came the usual 4 days after date like all the others. Come to think of it a notice has been an iffy thing. More than a couple of times I didn't get one yet it came nonetheless.

• Vguy72

....I want that glass.

• icecrmcnkd

Get out of bed, brew some GD tea, and upload that chat.

• 1stshow70878

No worries Jimbobwe and Proudfoot. Keep the faith. I was thinking the same then got my shipping notice here in Colorado this week showing Monday 5-3 for delivery. You never know. My July '78 box is #36/15,000.
    Cheers!

• proudfoot
    I haven't received a shipping notice yet, either

What, me worry?

With all the versions of "The Shipping Blues" in the past, one might.

Give it until at least next Friday before any panicking.

No, I am still not a robot.

• Jimbobwe

MDA - I also live in Colorado and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation email...we must be the last batch of subscriptions to ship. Hopefully we hear something soon.

• MDA
    Default Avatar

I have been seeing that a bunch of people have had their 38s for a few days now. I’m sitting here in Colorado still waiting on a shipping notice. Should I be worried??

• Sixtus_

...I've noticed this same thing on the sound Thin. You've described it pretty well. And, I don't hear a whole ton of Phil either, which usually helps to solidify and round out the overall sound with some deeper depth. Not so much here. I assume it's because of the limitations of a two-track to some extent.

I will say though, the 'Let Me Sing Your Blues Away' caught me surely off guard, where I had to stop and do a double take before a huge grin took over my stolen face. It's a pretty jaunty tune, a shame it was shelved so soon.

Hope Others' are receiving theirs and enjoying the ride - off to get #2 JAB shortly, here's to hoping for no adverse events!

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

My home, billing and shipping addresses were the same. Still no Dave's 36.. but yesterday I got an email with a shipping notice. Makes me think they switched back to the old reliable EBike delivery system. I will be sure to get some spiced cider and cookies to give to MaryE as a delivery treat. Much like Santa.. I have no idea how she delivers all those CDs herself.. by bike. I hear on sunny days she likes to deliver by roller skate.

...Grab Yours self the Vinyl Format for a a special Treat Only Available for a special Tool For 2 ,
Oh yes,“SkullF___” “ 50 Year Anniversary Edition “ Announced, W Filler 7/2/71
w/ 7/2/71 filler on disc 2. Sadly its missing the JBGoode encore where Jerry announces "All right folks! This is the one its all about!"
Re/ Thin , have a grateful day everyone, be safe & Love Each other! Take care , be back soon! It’s MEDs Time!
someone left the back Door Open ... 😉
🙏❤️💀🌹

.... I have been really loving reading ALl Your Posts “DOc”! Your writing is better than what’s on the tele ! “Times They Are A Changing”
* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90WD_ats6eE
... I. Learn something new every time you post a message, I’m very grateful, so thank you again and again my friend &brother. Peace be with you, Always❤️ 🙏💀🌹🤠😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

...here’s to Marye! Saluuuuttee!

Hey, at least now she’s got the ebike, back in the day she did it manually ; )

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

If this problem persists, send me a PM and I'll see what the deal is.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

In reply to by marye

. . .. For Marye. Let's thank her for stepping up to the plate for us. It is frustrating getting defective discs and then silence from Dead.net. I would add that even if a replacement takes a long time that that is acceptable but the silent treatment is not. We all know that "Shit Happens" especially during these strange days and we should be patient with getting a replacement. Dead.net/Rhino could, however, release a simple statement that they are aware of the problem and that corrective action will be taken even if it is going to take quite a while.

Thanks again Marye.

As your senator from the great deadnet state of altered consciousness I hear by degree, that a amendment is hearby proposed naming April first as MaryE day from this day forward, in perpetuity, on earth as in Heaven amen.....ah, could someone pass the peas please...
Seriously, Dave, Pinkus, someone, we need a MaryE day!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

“Please Sir, I want some More”...Lol
RSD -Olympia Theatre, Paris, France, 5/3/72” [6-LP
... Rumor is it's the May 3rd show. That awesome Primo ‘Dark Star’ from the night before has become infamous among “Deadicated Grateful Dead DeadHead fans & collectors!alike, ’Dark Star’s Are ‘ very much sought after in the bands set list at performances, and then the fans started the ritual of spreading the word by mouth that the band would be performing one at every concert you attended, people started the “last ( how many days since last dark star banner s too, the last time dark star was performed “ if one attended a show at this time and had the treat to hear a new performance , they left the concert a different human being, you vacant take that to the bank!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Has anyone noticed that only Jerry's vocals are on the 8/21/68-Set 2 vinyl LP released in January....as opposed to all vocals on the Miller transfer?

Has this been discussed already?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

All good things in all good time!

Great that you finally got a copy. Is it an original numbered copy or is it part of the emergency repress?

I sure hope it plays without skips etc.

Enjoy!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

10,393 of 22,000. It was an inconvenience, but I suspect something happened that might not have been within their control. Chalk it up to the cluster@@@@ that was 2020.

Thanks Doc Rhino and MaryE for not forgetting and making good on this.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Awesome!

I don’t care what anyone says that Marye is ok! ; )

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I think that's one of the ones I mailed back to them. I should have just mailed it to you.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by mhammond12

Thanks mhammond. Acts like that prove humanity still exists.

Cold rain and snow here in the East for the next few days.. Might have to put something in the playlist with Here Comes Sunshine. Have a great west of the week folks. Keep on rockin'

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by mhammond12

MHammond you made me spit up my adult beverage in guffaw.
Preach it!

Glad Jimmy Got 36 finally; here's to any others Still In The Lurch:
May there be an MHammond'y thought out there for you too!

Be Swell People
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'd listened to almost nothing but the Dead since April 2014. With the exception of some time to reflect on Rush after NP died last year, and to a lesser extent The Cars after RO died, nothing but the Dead was appealing. Then I was in a dark mood a few months back and took a week to indulge in Pearl Jam.
After DaP 37 showed up I was right back in the DeadZone.

I've always been a streaky listener; before the neverending Indulgence in the Dead, it was the Stones for 2 years.

This past week though, I've been revisiting everything and it all sounds so good...I'm still spending some daily time in the DeadZone, but it's significant that other music is sounding good again. I've been through The Cars, Live Who, Black Crowes, The Doors, Tom Petty, Jethro Tull, and now I'm up to Robert Plant. Pete Townshend on-deck.

I forgot how good Plant's voice still was in 80s. The 80's keyboards have held up well enough on Principle of Moments and Now and Zen. Manic Nirvana kicks ass in any timezone. Fate of Nations has some good tunes as well. Got me wondering why Plant had such prolific commercial success but Page did not. The Firm was a great record, but did Jimmy just retire or what? Never heard Firm 2 or Outrider. LedDed? Anyone?

Everyone deserves a hiatus.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Dark Star/Sugar Magnolia/Caution. The Grateful Dead. You can check out, but you can never leave....

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Yo!!! Rockers!!!!

And so it begins. Fifty years ago today. Acid Month. Twenty shows in twenty-six days, culminating in the fine, final Fillmore East shows of April 25-29, 1971. With stops at Franklin & Marshall College, Bucknell University, Allegheny College, Princeton University, SUNY-Cortland, and Duke University, the Dead do their best to promote “higher education”. Winning new fans, perhaps baffling some by playing lots of things that hadn’t been officially released yet, bringing their psychedelic Bakersfield roadshow to lots of impressionable young minds. Was it was the last great blast of the original quintet???

Good old Grateful Dead. Were they a rock band? The mutant offspring of Merle Haggard? Weren’t they a jam band in a previous life? What were they, exactly???

Acid Month is sonically very well preserved. Like a fine wine, now it’s time to pop the cork! If you need or want, here I is! And if you’d like some light reading material, you know where to find me……………

Gentle reminder----I never joke about 1971…………..LOL!!!!

Rock on!

Doc
We’re fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance…..

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks for posting that. I actually get Bass player from my former life and ment to post it but of course forgot.
Amazing how such a thing could go “missing”? Love geek shit!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I think she has probably helped most of us at one time or another. For that I am very grateful. Where would we be without her. Never obtrusive, always courteous. 👍🏻🙏🏻

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Jim & Oroborous that was some funny stuff. I'm still smiling. My wife surely thinks I'm back on the sauce. I haven't heard that song since the days when I had to get up to change the channel.

It's the Spectrum '73 for me at the moment. Had to throw a '73 Bird Song in the mix. Sounds close enough to Full Norman quality.

P.S. I think I mentioned Uncle Gary here a couple times. He sent me The Orpheum 7/18/76 show from the radio broadcast. First time hearing it last week and it's wow....that would have been a good run to release as a box set. Hopefully we'll see this show released. Pretty sure DL said 7/18 was recorded on multitrack when DaP 18 came out. Jerry's soloing is off the wall.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I tend to dive into subjects headlong, devouring multiple biographies, interviews, first hand anecdotes from those lucky enough to have met the subject, and of course, all the music. It's hardly possible with the Dead, but with Robert Plant for instance, my m.o. is to buy every official studio and live release and go from there. HendrixFreak talked of his methods with bootlegs, board tapes, etc. There's a ton out there if you're willing to find it with just about every established artist.

Robert Plant was able to reinvent himself commercially and stylistically with great success after the demise of Led Zeppelin. After the O2 show in 2007, I like many others (Jason Bonham included) was devastated that Plant would not resurrect the old warhorse for a proper tour.

He has his reasons, not the least of which, being his own man and sticking it to Jimmy for any one of a thousand slights. When Led Zep formed, it was Page's baby, he having financed and produced the first album and then basically leasing it to Atlantic for an exorbitant sum, retaining all musical and artistic control and receiving an unheard of royalty rate and worldwide distribution. Plant was unsophisticated and raw, a brilliant putty in Jimmy's hands in the beginning.

Peter Grant greatly aided and abetted in this scheme... Zeppelin were an incredibly decadent band of outlaws who pretty much owned the Seventies in every sense. It was not without it's mishaps and ugly scenes, hedonsim way out of control, but it was beautiful and magical and mighty as well as flawed, with an inherent dark side... and when it was over, all parties involved had to take a respite.

Page half-assed it with The Firm, Coverdale/Page and his Outrider record; he really only touched on past glories trotting about the globe with Robert for those few Plant/Page tours. He was and always has been a Zeppelin man through and through, the one true love of his musical life. Without Robert Plant, it just wasn't the same for him.

Plant on the other hand touched on numerous genres and succeeded brilliantly all across the board. His is a very fine voice, he's a very intelligent and gracious gentleman and he remains very hip. He has spoke of making "age appropriate" music, when one thinks of him during The Song Remains The Same at MSG, chest out and crotch thrust forward, wailing like a banshee, I suppose that was age appropriate at the time - but hardly so today. Along with emerging from Jimmy's shadow and that of Zeppelin, the man genuinely has a knack for inhabiting songs and making them his own with that inimitable voice and brilliant phrasing.

I could go on... Page never had the heart to put his all into anything Robert wasn't involved in, musically. Plant skillfully navigated his solo career and has always paid homage to Led Zeppelin without being constrained by it.

There are a number of Robert Plant solo albums that are absolutely brilliant that seemingly no one has heard of. Dreamland, Mighty ReArranger and Sixty Six to Timbuktu come to mind.

My two cents.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

My 10th grade English teacher lent me the first two CDs back in '87, and I was hooked from there on (even read Hammer of the Gods), but I haven't listened to them much in the past 10 years. I had huge door posters of Zep IV and Houses of the Holy.

I got to see Page / Plant twice. They were some great shows....but the O2 Reunion exceeded my greatest expectations. I bought the CD when it came out and couldn't believe how ON they were. I didn't look at the track list when I bought it; I didn't even put it on for the car ride home. I took a day off work, packed a bowl and listened to it end-2-end. Set list had some nice surprises. For Your Life - really? Mother f@#%ing game on! After that song ended I seriously thought I might get Carouselambra too (love that song - would love to hear Jimmy's isolated guitar track - it's so cool, but buried in the mix).

What you're saying about Page makes sense, thanks for the insights. I didn't know about the slights against Plant. And Page IS always the guy doing the box sets and remixes for the Zep catalog. I guess I didn't realize how much sway he had in the Zep days. I knew they emerged from his New Yardbirds and that he was their Producer, so yeah, I guess that would cause some tension, especially once Plant carved out his own legendary rock persona.

I bought Mighty Rearranger, Raising Sand, and Band Of Joy several years ago, but didn't listen much. To your point though, Harm's Swift Way is a cover that he made his own (in fact, I didn't realize it wasn't his own until I heard him interview about it).

Well, thanks - that satisfies my curiosity. On the surface I thought, how does a riff master like Page not have at least as equal a solo career as the the other song writer in Zep.

P.S. - what's with Peter Grant as Executive Producer on all the records? I thought he was the manager and the muscle. What kind of musical input was he responsible for? Or was it a ceremonial title?

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today………………

April 2, 1971
Memorial Gym Kent State University, Kent, Ohio

Was this a cancelled show?

Link: http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2009/11/april-2-1971-kent-state-univer…

Rock on!!!!

Doc
Then haste, kind Death, in pity to my age
And clap the Finis to my life's last page.
May Heaven's great Author my foul proof revise,
Cancel the page in which my error lies,
And raise my form above the etherial skies.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by LedDed

Jimmy Page also cropped up on numerous sessions for all sorts of artists throughout the 60s-from Tom Jones to The Stones. "Baby Please Don't Go" by Them and "Sunshine Superman" and "Hurdy Gurdy Man" by Donovan are a few of the best. In fact, I once saw Donovan, and Page came on to play for a few numbers. "Happening Ten Years Time Ago" with The Yardbirds is also a classic-with Jeff Beck, too, of course.
I was wondering the other day if Covid marks the end of the 60's. Too early to say-maybe Live Dead 69 will be back next year, and it will all start up again.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

Dave - Is it Page on Hurdy Gurdy Man? I have read names such as Jeff Beck to (the late great) Allan Holdsworth, Jimmy Page, and a few others were the guitar player on this tune. I really don’t know.

MaryE - Thanks for all the help to myself and so many others!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

The discussion on Page and Plant got me thinking...what are people's favorite solo albums by any of the great bands of the 60s? Zep, Who, Beatles, Stones, Floyd, etc.

I think mine is Pete Townshend's Empty Glass.

Anything Hendrix wins.
He was in other bands before he went solo.

Frampton Comes Alive seems to have worked pretty well for Peter.

I love Pink Floyd but Water’s solo albums are terrible. Gilmour’s first album is OK but the others are pretty weak.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Yeah that ones a real Bobbie Dazzler! Perhaps my favorite 76 show!
Have a CD copy sourced from FM that I got at Amazon..
That’s the only reason I hope he doesn’t release it: have a good copy so I would rather he release something else I don’t have lol
Love how they make the quick/tight segways back and forth, in and out, and with the mini drum duets, good sheet mon!
We should all have a Uncle Gary 😉

user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

In reply to by marye

Thanks for all you do for us.

Hoping spring 2021 brings rays of sun & fun for all.

Dead.net is cool place.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I was going to give a nod to Gilmour as well.

Steve Winwood gained far more popular success as a solo musician then when he was with Traffic. I just never liked music after he left the band.

If I could cheat a little bit, I would say Robert Plant with Alison Krauss and Mark Knopfler with Emmylou Harris are both great albums.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

This show really blew me away the first time I heard it & saw it on paper; I mean, that entire second set is one gigantic segue pretty much; in and out of multi-songs with some very fine transitions. I too acquired a knockoff version from somewhere I can no longer recall, but it's a very good copy. The hardest part though is trying to find the ideal spot to jump discs....given the interconnectedness of it all. Would still love to see this one officially released:

https://archive.org/details/gd1976-07-18.150187.pre-fm.miller.flac1644

Be Well People! And good to see you back around, KF.
Seventy-Sixtus

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html