• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gary Farseer

If I had missed the page for the sale of #38. Now I know this is maybe a new rule for sales. Ship subscribers and dont open for sale until the day of release. Not sure if that is true or is it the or some special artwork??? Cant wait to see. I hope it is the poster for these shows, which I have. Will write more later, not wanting to spoil the trip...

Edit: well just checked my farseer email and see the artwork. Not the poster. Email sent 10 minutes ago...

Edit 2: OOOps wrong show poster is for March shows, see old brainism

• Gary Farseer
    JoshbytheBay-Without a Net-Mind Blown Pt 1

I watched a documentary a few days back. I am sure you all have seen on the History Channel the various docs. I cant remember what the title was, and like I have written, memory aint what it used to be. It was on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. I had posted a few years back that on the day off during the NYE1987 run, my friends and I walked to the mid-point of the Golden Gate Bridge and back, somewhere around 10 pm. It was super cold and a strong western wind. In the documentary, it talked about them at one point putting up a net to protect the bridge builders. I also remember a couple of years back that they had a drive to collect money to put another permanent net type device to prevent jumpers. Any way, long story short, I never put it together that the live album, Without a Net, was not just shot in the dark title (about the circus coming to town and the razor's edge of improvisation without a net) but also some San Fran history to boot. Those guys were on top of so much Americana that it is mind blowing.

• snafu
    Default Avatar

I wouldn't worry about a shipping notice. For #36 I never received one but it came the usual 4 days after date like all the others. Come to think of it a notice has been an iffy thing. More than a couple of times I didn't get one yet it came nonetheless.

• Vguy72

....I want that glass.

• icecrmcnkd

Get out of bed, brew some GD tea, and upload that chat.

• 1stshow70878

No worries Jimbobwe and Proudfoot. Keep the faith. I was thinking the same then got my shipping notice here in Colorado this week showing Monday 5-3 for delivery. You never know. My July '78 box is #36/15,000.
    Cheers!

• proudfoot
    I haven't received a shipping notice yet, either

What, me worry?

With all the versions of "The Shipping Blues" in the past, one might.

Give it until at least next Friday before any panicking.

No, I am still not a robot.

• Jimbobwe

MDA - I also live in Colorado and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation email...we must be the last batch of subscriptions to ship. Hopefully we hear something soon.

• MDA
    Default Avatar

I have been seeing that a bunch of people have had their 38s for a few days now. I’m sitting here in Colorado still waiting on a shipping notice. Should I be worried??

• Sixtus_

...I've noticed this same thing on the sound Thin. You've described it pretty well. And, I don't hear a whole ton of Phil either, which usually helps to solidify and round out the overall sound with some deeper depth. Not so much here. I assume it's because of the limitations of a two-track to some extent.

I will say though, the 'Let Me Sing Your Blues Away' caught me surely off guard, where I had to stop and do a double take before a huge grin took over my stolen face. It's a pretty jaunty tune, a shame it was shelved so soon.

Hope Others' are receiving theirs and enjoying the ride - off to get #2 JAB shortly, here's to hoping for no adverse events!

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Let's not forget Brent's solo album.

Oh, that's right, that one that did not get finished but in the process of not getting finished it somehow gobbled up lots of the multi-track masters from Radio City Music Hall and the Warfield Theatre in 1980. If I could go back in time, I coulda shoulda woulda bought him some blank tapes...

Anyway.. concur with what was said about solo artists. I also like Gilmours On an Island album. It's got some really good lap guitar work sprinkled liberally throughout.

Have a great weekend all.. Thanks MaryE. You're the glue that holds this wacky freak show together.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

That Mike - you've got me doubting now. I have just had a look at the sleeve notes for the album "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and it says there that, although Jimmy Page claimed to have played on it, John Paul Jones, who arranged it, said he didn't, and that a guy called Alan Parker was the guitarist. The Jeff Beck Group backed Donovan on the single "Barabajagal" and its flip side, "Trudi". Again, I'm just going off sleeve notes. It doesn't look as though anyone is 100% sure who played on what!

I've never heard a Roger Waters or Dave Gilmour solo album, and have no plans to do so. But Syd Barrett's " The Madcap Laughs" is brilliant. The follow up, "Barrett" is also well worth hearing.
I also like Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets-the live recording at The Roundhouse from a couple of years ago is great - opening with Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine, if I remember rightly.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

.... I haven't listened to a word DaveL has said ever since he confirmed that there are multi-track tapes of this show. I always wondered if this was so after the Go To Nassau surprise (to me) multi-track release came out. That was recorded to multi-track because it was a King Biscuit broadcast. I knew 7-18-76 was also a King Biscuit broadcast and after learning that about the Nassau shows, I hoped the same was true for the Orpheum show. When Dave confirmed that it was so at the time the did the 76 Boxset, I dropped the (figurative) phone and have thought about nothing else ever since! Not really, but that is how much I look forward to the day we get a standalone Normanized release from those multi-track tapes. I do so love that show going back to my earliest fan days; that was one of my first tapes.

Dave - That’s a new name to me. I am not familiar with the name at all, or his work. One of those enduring mysteries is Hurdy Gurdy Man - one of the most distinctive guitar parts in 60s rock, yet no one can pin down who it truly was (although I like to think it was Alan Holdsworth). And Page is certainly out, if John Paul Jones discounted him.

A great tune, regardless!

My choice for solo album is an off the wall one - The Tin Man Was A Dreamer, by Nicky Hopkins. Produced by David Briggs (Neil Young), lots of great players on it, including Mick Taylor, and it still holds up after nearly 50 years. A great sideman to so many great artists and albums.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

Mike-no neither have I. Apparently he went on to play for Blue Mink, which is a bit of a step down from Soft Machine and Led Zeppelin, and did some sessions with David Bowie and Elton John.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

to Roger Waters' "Amused to Death". Great album and one that is as good as any later day Pink Floyd lp. Jeff Beck plays on it and it has some great tunes there that he rips it up on. I agree that Roger's other solo lps "Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking" "Radio Chaos" and his latest effort are for sure not that good, but Amused to Death is one I think all Floyd fans should check out. Released in 1994 I think and has been re released just in 2019 for 25th anniversary. It's best if you sit down and listen to it completely to get the proper effect.
David Gilmore's solo efforts are good but again nothing compared to the Floyd, his first being his best and his latest is also very good.
Was going to check out Saucer full of Secrets band but never got a chance and then ..... but have heard a few cuts and they sound great.
I agree Daverock, Syds stuff is great too.

Big shout out to Mary E, she has helped me so much in the past and I would have left this site long ago if not for her and her uncanny ability to get things done for me and all or any who need her help. She is the best. our love is real not fade away

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Vguy: re GD n Gucci...clever

Syd Barrett Madcap better than any Pink Floyd album? Uhhh....everyone has a right to their own opinion. Ummagumma, Meddle, Piper...

On the rare occasion when I force myself to listen to something not GD, I reach for a variety of stuff, not-least-of-which is MOTORHEAD. That stuff always gets me going.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

There should be a book (collective) on rock and roll managers and their contribution to musical history. Vast it would be! There are plenty about individuals, among them

Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin

Is a fascinating read. I got it off amazon. Tons of stuff about the band I never read anywhere else. I never realized how important he was to them. He was a pretty good guy underneath all the boorishness, and at his peak he was untouchable. Who could blame him?

Col. Tom Parker, Brian Epstein, Don Arden (not to mention $auron, er, Sharon), Irving Azoff, etc.

Producers. Promoters. So many people had so much to do with the success of these bands we grew up on and love to this day.

Cheers!

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I love a good theme, with a challenge attached. A couple of people here have already stolen my thunder. It’s not easy to find great solo albums from(most) great bands of the ‘60’s-‘70’s.
My friends frequently accuse me of being purposely fond of less popular fare, which may be true, to a point. But I’m never going to say I like an album, just because I think it would be ‘cool’ or out of the main stream. So......
I agree led ded that Robert Plant’s Dreamland is a fantastic album, and he really turned a corner with that one. He’s always claimed to be a big fan of ‘60’s music, and his last 2 decades of solo work bear that out.
When it comes to the Stones, I have to go with Mick Jagger’s Wandering Spirit, a truly fine album.
With Floyd I agree that Roger Waters’ Amused To Death is also fantastic, and best heard start to finish.
As far as The Who, I really like Pete Townshend’s “Psychoderelict”. There is a version without all the dialogue that’s great. Also, he played a 3-hour show at the Philly Tower Theater on that tour that blew my mind!! (White City is very good too!).
As far as Beatles, I really feel like you need one from each. So again, I second a vote for “ All Things Must Pass”.
Plastic Ono Band from John.
McCartney just has too many albums, but I’ll go with Ram.
And Ringo(yes, even Ringo). His Ringo album is truly fine, but he had a hell of a lot of help on that one.
Sorry for going on, but I just can’t shut up, because:
Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

There have been some abhorrent people who have managed bands over the years. Names like Saul Zaentz and Matthew Katz spring to mind but the award for the most loathsome manager surely has to go to Peter Grant. A man in a league of his own.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by simonrob

"Col." Tom Parker seemed pretty reprehensible, too. The man who had the most positive influence on Elvis Presley realising and expressing his talent was surely Sam Phillips. Parker was instrumental only in orchestrating his decline.

The Beatles solo album I used to play the most, back in the 70's, was the John Lennon one with "I Found Out" and "Working Class Hero" on.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

Lenny Hart, the Deads finance manager, certainly was questionable, he embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Dead.. " He's Gone", was written for Lenny Hart, so something good came out of it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by unkle sam

I have the reissue which has a CD and a BluRay audio disc.
Played the CD last night and wasn’t overly impressed. It’s OK, sounds similar to Final Cut (which I listened to a lot in mid-80’s).
I’ll play it again and maybe it will grow on me. Haven’t heard the BluRay audio version yet, so will check that out.
I noticed a few parts that sounded like they were taken from Wish You Were Here.
Also noticed that a song starts with a melody taken from Phil Colins (take, take me home.....).

I’m playing Gilmour’s first album right now. Had that on cassette in the 80’s.
It’s a pretty good album.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I like his first and On An Island, vibe music...

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

That's easy, Garcia's first album, every song is fantastic.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kid

I'll copy BTK and pick Ace by Bob Weir; a solo album that features the Dead minus Pigpen. This is probably the closest they sounded to their actual live shows

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kid

I'll copy BTK and pick Ace by Bob Weir; a solo album that features the Dead minus Pigpen. This is probably the closest to how they sounded in their actual live shows. Playing in the Band alone is worth the price, with Jerry on fire, but everything else is also quite good.
Pretty much anything by Gene Clark is also worth checking.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Garcia , his first. On the night of August 9, 1995 I listened to a clean vinyl copy on my friends high end sound “system “, Macintosh amplifier and klipsch speakers.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name

Paul Kantner - Blows Against The Empire

Rick Danko - Rick Danko

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

It's possible that this will be released in the next '76 box with a accompanying vinyl release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Forgot the date, 4wind blowhard

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

One really under-rated album by a member of a classic rock band: Ron Wood's 'Gimme Some Neck.' Ronnie's such an under-rated guitarist, and this one had Mick, Keef, Chollie, Ian Mclagan, Bobby Keys, Dave Mason. Mick Fleetwood, even, on one cut.

Eric Clapton, once a member of a group called Cream, had a few good solo records, too. Although I suppose the best one, Layla and Other Love Songs, was a group effort.

Gregg Allman's "Low Country Blues" I really loved. Ditto for Levon Helm's "Dirt Farmer."

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming..........

50 years ago today……..

April 4, 1971
Manhattan Center, New York, New York

Set 1: Bertha-Me And My Uncle-Next Time You See Me-Morning Dew-Playing In The Band-Loser-Easy Wind-Me And Bobby McGee-Greatest Story Ever Told>Johnny B. Goode

Set 2: Truckin'-Hard To Handle-Deal-Sugar Magnolia-Casey Jones-Good Lovin'-Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad-St. Stephen-Not Fade Away-Uncle John's Band

And so, musically speaking, Acid Month begins. A well documented, sonically well represented, and much beloved month in Grateful Dead lore…………..

On this first night, a little bit of rust has to be shaken off. Once that’s accomplished, the Dead are in fine psychedelic Bakersfield form. Interesting and unusual early first set Dew. There’s a good dose of grease, including a solid Hard To Handle, the last Easy Wind (OK yes, Pig plays a little loose with the words, but it’s OK and they jam it!), and some great Good Lovin’ snake music. The second set is nicely crunchy, and even though the convoluted jam sequence at the end doesn’t quite jell, it’s alright cuz the Dead are back and rockin’!!

A show you almost never hear about, underrated and certainly worth a listen!

Rock on!

Doc
Acid allows you to walk through the door to an alternate reality, but most people have no idea how to walk back through………….

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Mention of Garcia' first and Ace makes me think that they would be good candidates for the 50th Anniversary treatment.
Kevin Ayers made some good solo albums after leaving Soft Machine - "Joy of a Toy" and "Wherevershebringswesing" are worth checking out.
Daevid Allen made some great off the wall ones, too, before after and concurrent with Gong.
And Steve Hillage made some great albums after being in Gong - "Fish Rising" and "L" come to mind. Maybe the last blast for British psych/space rock before ground zero and punk. Every discerning head should own a copy of the box set of his solo albums and live gigs , "Searching for the Spark."

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Jorma Kaukonen's "Quah" had always been one my favorites. It's certainly one of my "if I was stuck on a desert island" albums that I would never get tired of. Hell, just look at that album cover!

Good call, Crow, on these solo efforts. Gregg's Southern Blood was good as well, though his vocals were clearly getting creaky. Reminded me of Cash's last couple American efforts. Which I will listen to until I croak. (Southern Blood has a nice Black Muddy River on it, as well.)

Wish Levon had been more active the last 20 years of his life. He could have been producing work as strong as Dirt Famer and Electric Dirt the whole time. (Obviously his throat cancer had a lot to do with that, but I'm guessing his stubborn bitterness did as well...) His Midnight Rambles would certainly be a stop on my Time Machine.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

We dropped one beautiful night at Settler's Park in Boulder, saw God in the ancient rock faces. It was accompanied by an overwhelming sense of well-being, like some kind of grandmotherly love and warmth, that everything was and is going to be OK.

That's my last, best psychedelic memory, one that will never leave me, and I'm going to leave it right there.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

27 years ago I got gassed in Orlando on Easter Sunday. And I don't mean N2O. Great show, Jerry worn out but still a great time at the show, not so much after.
Last five
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star
Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
Beatles - Yellow Submarine 30th year anniversary release
Jade Warrior - Floating World
Eric Burdon Band - Sun Secrets

After 2nd dose a month ago, I am immune, funny, dosing used to mean something else when we used to go on tour. Time for the announcement about the upcoming boxset, Autumn 1972 would be fantastic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 1 month

Happy Spring Fellow Heads!

Catching up on the forum here this morning. Lot's of great posts. Fun to read

There are a lot of solo albums that I enjoy and many of them were mentioned here. Some of my favorites:
- "Garcia" - one of the best studio albums from the full Dead catalog IMO. All killer, no filler on that record. Second side is a mellow psychedelic masterpiece.
- Crosby - "If I could only remember my name" - loved this one since the first time I heard it. Vibes!
- Jorma - "Quah" - does it get any better than Genesis? I'm putting this on later today for sure :-)
- I might put on some Gene Clark today too - can't go wrong with any of his solo albums. I think of him more on his own than in the context of the Byrds.
- "Imagine" is one of my favorites from the whole Beatles catalogue.

I'll add:
Mickey Hart - "Planet Drum" - my favorite of his. I listened to that one a lot in the 90s.

For something more recent, Stephen Malkmus, one time leader of Pavement, put out a solo album called "Traditional Techniques" in 2020. Mostly acoustic instruments, great players, well worth your time IMO.

I'm sure there are other solo albums that I love that I'm forgetting.

Second the shout outs to the great solo artists that keep this circus on the road - Mary E and Dr Rhino - Thank you for all that you do!

Happy 50th Acid Month! Turn it up!

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…….

April 5, 1971
Manhattan Center, New York City, New York

Set 1: Cold Rain And Snow-Me And Bobby McGee-The Rub-Loser-Playing In The Band-Big Railroad Blues-Me And My Uncle-Big Boss Man-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Casey Jones

Set 2: Truckin'>drums>The Other One>Wharf Rat-Sugar Magnolia-I'm A King Bee-Bertha-Deal-Sing Me Back Home-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Turn On Your Love Light

Does the intensity of the show match the density of the crowd? What’s the distance from Marathon to Athens?

Perhaps the best of the three nights. Really solid performance. Good dose of well performed Pigpen tunes (including the rarities The Rub and King Bee). Fine Truckin’/Other 1/ Wharf Rat big jam. The premiere of the Dead’s cover of Sing Me Back Home. The NFA/GDTRFB that later appeared on Skullfuck. This show gets much more respect than the previous night, and maybe deservedly so. Perhaps not a certified “top tier classic” but certainly worth the $5 it took to get in. Especially if you like yodelling…………..

Rock on!

Doc
We tell our triumphs to the crowds, but our own hearts are the sole confidants of our sorrows

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

Here's one I've burnt through since the day it was released. Hot Rats ...FZ
Music is the best. I know there's at least one person on here that gets that

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by snafu

Did you get the "Hot Rats Sessions" box set that came out a couple of years ago??? Effin' amazing...there's a 15 minute instrumental version of "Willie The Pimp" that Zappa & Sugarcane just effin' go off on...also a lot of stuff that was used on "Weasel's Ripped My Flesh" & "Burnt Weenie Sandwich"...a newly remastered version of the original pressing is also included...And I was lucky enough to see the "Hot Rats Band" at the Olympic Auditorium in LA when the LP came out....

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…..

April 6, 1971
Manhattan Center, New York City, New York

Set 1: Bertha-Beat It On Down The Line-It Hurts Me Too-Me And Bobby McGee-Dire Wolf-Oh Boy-Hog For You Baby-Playing In The Band-Midnight Hour-Mama Tried-Cumberland Blues-Casey Jones

Set 2: Greatest Story Ever Told>Johnny B. Goode-Loser-Good Lovin'-Sugar Magnolia-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away>Truckin'

If you like your Grateful Dead oddball, maybe this is the April 1971 show for you. Was it something in the water? Was there acid in the air? Full moon perhaps? Maybe just Friday the 13th……………???

I love this if for nothing more than the quirky gooey goodness of the first set, with its abundance of kinda scarce to definitely rare tunes----It Hurts Me Too, Dire Wolf, Oh Boy, Hog For You Baby, Midnight Hour, Mama Tried. Did people in attendance realize what great little musical nuggets were being dropped on them? LOL! The second set is more “traditional repertoire”, with rockin’ versions of Johnny B Goode and Sugar Magnolia, a rappin’ Good Lovin’, but just an OK NFA suite UNTIL they cap the whole thing off with a crazed Truckin’! Absolutely recommended!

Rock on!!

Doc
When you feel like an oddball, it never really leaves you…..

user picture

Member for

10 years

Hey Doc, great to see you posting with enthusiasm on the 50th '71 shows. Great work analyzing their specific strengths and peculiarities.

I'm now guessing that now we're entering the pre-hype period for DP 38, we'll likely get a Dave video and pre-order announcement on the upcoming Sept '73 shows. Meaning that a box announcement may well come in late May, after we've all received (or not) our copies.

I'm still pulling for a fall '72 box along with an early "50th" for Wake of the Flood. But I'd take an April '71 box in a heartbeat...........

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Hendrixfreak

Remember the announcement for the 2021 DaP subscription. It said that the individual sets would not be offered for pre-order. They would be made available on their release dates. From memory this means that the seaside chat and order forms should appear on April 30th, unless dead.net change their minds. It would be good to get a box set announcement before then but I doubt it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…..

April 7, 1971
Boston Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts

Set 1: Me And My Uncle-Next Time You See Me-Casey Jones-Playing In The Band-Loser-Me And Bobby McGee-Hard To Handle-Sugar Magnolia

[possible set break?]

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-St. Stephen>drums>jam(x)>Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away>Johnny B. Goode

Growing up outside Boston, the Music Hall was our Mecca. Santana in 72, Pink Floyd in 73, Zappa, Steve Miller, and of course the good old Grateful Dead…………….

Unusual Me & My Uncle show-opener (apparently this occurred only one time in 1971). Unusual positioning of Casey Jones. St Stephen from a standing start. Oddness accrues….

It’s unclear if this is two sets, with a distinct set break, or one long set. There is no audible set break announcement after Sugar Magnolia and there is no audible break in the recording between Sugar Magnolia, the tuning that follows it, and the start of China Cat. The available evidence, while not conclusive, suggests one long set.

This show is victim to one of the best known---and most painful---tape edits in 1971. After about two minutes of the jam following drums, the tape apparently ran out. By the time the next tape was set up, it’s already the beginning of Not Fade Away. Sigh………………….

Certainly worthy of a leafy listen…………

Rock on!

Doc
The great problem of the concert hall is that the shoebox is the ideal shape for acoustics but that no architect worth their names wants to build a shoebox

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Hey now. Absolutely! While FZ put out a lot of amazing music Hot Rats has always been my favorite. With the exception of FO I have bought every FZ release on day of release. A shame the Captain wasn't able to hold it together, no doubt the two of them could've done some more great things. "She's 200 years old..."
I definitely am what he lovingly called a fetishist. I collect Zappa vinyl from US, Canada, Japan, Australia, NZ, England, and Germany.
I have almost every Verve release in existence. All variations no matter how small. For example I have 11 different versions of U S WOIIFTM.
MUSIC IS THE BEST

While there were a number of great rock bands that added horns in the 67-69 period ( BS&T, Chicago, Sons, Tower of power). To me the Bloomfield Flag was the best. Still listen regularly. Of course having Nick the Greek certainly didn't hurt. I even enjoy to a lesser degree the 74 reunion lp

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Hey y'all! I don't post here too often, but eagerly awaiting the reveal for Dave's Picks Vol 39, and I like to tune in to the comments here once in a while to see what's happening. I had a thought I'd like to share, and hopefully inspire some like-minded individuals to help get something into motion.

Robert Hunter, in many ways the architect of the whole Grateful Dead experience, the Wordsmith, one of the inspirational pillars the whole thing is resting upon, passed away from our earthly realm a short while ago.

I am surprised and a little disappointed that I haven't heard of anything in the works for the re-release of Hunter's solo albums, perhaps with a little remaster love and some extras like rare tracks, live cuts, or demo recordings. I know his solo albums are not full of chart-topping hits, but they are more than worthy to be preserved and enjoyed by new and old fans alike. So many gems in his catalogue of songs that were only performed by him as far as I know.

Also there should be at least a few good live releases that could be put together from his stuff. Robert Hunter with Comfort circa 1978 comes to mind. Also there were some fiery moments I've heard from his shows with the Dinosaurs. And of course his acoustic shows would yield some wonderful moments that could be released.

I love hearing the more complete versions of the Terrapin Suite as recorded on his Jack O Roses album, Tales of the Great Rum Runners is start-to-finish incredible, etc.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Grateful Dave

Grateful Dave - I would like to chime in and add “A Box of Rain - Live 1990” to your list of Hunter gems. The Franklin’s Tower on this release gives me chills how good it is, and the rest of the album is incredible. So many of his great numbers, stripped down to the point you really “hear” the genius of Hunter’s lyrics.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html